Speaker 1: You're listenings KFI AM six forty, the Bill Handles show on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: F Wayne Resnick's sitting in until nine.
Speaker 3: Neil is here, and Amy is here, and ann is Heren Elmer's here in for KONO and that's your crew this morning, and some of the stories that we're watching for you. The government of Israel has told the Biden administration that when it retaliates against Iran for Iran's missile strike on Israel, it will not hit nuclear facilities or oil production sites, two things that the United States was hoping they would agree not to do. And a bunch of new lawsuits were filed yesterday against Sean Combs. You've got men, women, and even a sixteen year old boy accusing him of sexual assault, drugging of drinks, and various other bad behavior. Hey, yesterday we spent some time talking about this gasoline law that Governor k Newsom wanted that makes the oil companies store gasoline so that when they shut down refineries, there's still enough gasoline out there to avoid price spikes. Well, yesterday, as expected, he signed that law. The next step is for the California Energy Commission to figure out the details, how much gas do you need to store, etc. And we were talking about the oil companies don't like this law. Well guess who else now has come out and say they don't like this law. Unionized workers at refineries, they don't like this law. Now they're saying, this law is going to make our jobs unsafe.
Speaker 2: And also, by the way, if.
Speaker 3: You don't care that this law is gonna make our jobs more unsafe, we might lose our jobs. Well, okay, how would that happen? So they are saying a couple of things in this law. There's a part of it that wasn't talked about so much because the focus has been how will they store the gas? And do they have enough places to store the gas? And if they have to build more storage capacity, that'll cost them a lot of money, and the gas will end up being expensive anyway, because they you can either have price spikes because there's not enough gas, or you can have an increase in the price of gas to pay for what it cost them to build the storage so that you don't have the price spikes. It's like pick your pick your price hike. It's a it's a pick your own price hike. Adventures so the union workers are saying, also in this law, it allows the state to be involved in scheduled maintenance at refineries.
Speaker 2: It's not entirely clear whether it allows the.
Speaker 3: State to dictate when you may or may not do maintenance on your refinery. But the workers are saying, if we need to be able to do maintenance on our refineries whenever it's necessary, you cannot even have the thought in your head that you would want to shut down a refinery for some maintenance reason and the state telling you no or penalizing you for doing it. And the idea would be they wouldn't be able to do all the maintenance that they might think is necessary, and the next thing, you know, some part of the infrastructure goes bad and a refinery explodes, and then they are injured or god forbid killed, And it wouldn't have happened but for this law. That's what they're talking about with regard to the safety. And I mean, there was a refinery explosion in twenty fifteen in Torrance. That refinery was owned by Exon Mobil and two workers were injured. You know, I don't think we can say that that explosion was because they were not allowed to do maintenance that they wanted to do. But they're saying, under certain circumstances, this is the kind of thing that can happen, and we don't want that. You have to do the maintenance based on the condition of the infrastructure and the pipes and the valves and what their life cycle is, and we don't want the state stepping in and getting in the way of those decisions. Now, the status said this, you can do any maintenance that you need to do. This is a false claim that you have that we're going to stop you from doing maintenance. But my question is, well, if you're never going to stop them from doing maintenance, why is the provision in the law at all. So that's the one part, and then the other part is that they will lose jobs. And the way that they will lose jobs is because they won't be able to do as much work as they need to do and there won't be a need.
Speaker 2: For them.
Speaker 3: So now you know the problem is now it's it's a little too late because the law has already been signed, and I don't know if lawsuits are coming. It's not clear to me if lawsuits over the law are coming, but complaints have already arrived. And this is one of those things where, honest to goodness, there's no way to know how it's going to affect gas prices. Newsom says, oh, it's going to prevent you from having those price spikes. Now he can't say, he can't even speculate that it's not going to raise the normal price of the gallon of gas. He's saying it'll prevent you from experiencing price spikes. So now you've got to try to do the math in your head. Do I want to pay a dollar more a gallon periodically or do I want to pay fifty cents more gallon all the time? And is this law going to cause that second situation? And maybe I'd be happier just in terms of my pocketbook. Maybe I would be happier occasionally paying a dollar more a gallon and other times not paying as much. So it's a real wait and see right now for your gas prices. All right, let's get some news from Amy King and then Edison High School in Huntingdon Beach has new rules about students going to the bathroom, and there's an ad un lying petition by the students saying this new bathroom policy violates their constitutional rights.
Speaker 2: We will get into this controversy in a moment.
Speaker 3: It's KFI AM six forty Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. It is the pill Handle Show, and he is on vacation. Wayne Resnik is sitting in until nine. Let's talk about Edison High School in Huntington Beach right after I tell you some of the stories that we're watching for you here on KFI, which include the fact that FEMA personnel have gone back to their door to door neighborhood outreaches in the areas that were affected by Hurricane Helen.
Speaker 2: This is a post Helen effort, and this.
Speaker 3: Is after the cops arrested a guy who was accused of making threats against FEMA people and also was armed, and FEMA puts some of their efforts on pause because they felt it might be too dangerous. And I guess they they're hopeful now with the intervention of the cops, that it's safe enough again to try to help these people out. Also, let's talk with the weather for a second, because we just mentioned a hurricane. They are expecting a weak Lannina condition to develop in the next couple of months, and if that happens the oceans. I hope I'm understanding this right. Yes, the oceans will be cooler than average in the Equatorial Pacific. And if that happens, and if there is a lanina and it's on the weak side, which is what they're predicting, this means winter will be warmer than normal. Sorry snow lovers. Now let's talk about Edison High School, Hontington Beach. They have a new policy for when you go to the bathroom, and the students are arguing it's an invasion of their privacy, and not just loosely saying it's an invasion of our privacy, but actually putting up a petition saying it's a violation of their Fourth Amendment. So here's the new policy. There's a QR code in the classroom and when you leave the classroom for any reason. It's not specifically about going to the bathroom. It's about leaving the classroom for any reason. But the concerns are largely based on the going to the bathroom part. So if you're going to the school nurse, if you have to go to the library for some reason, if you are going to go use the wellness space that they have at Edison High School, or the most common reason because you've got to use the facilities, you have to scan the code and then when you come back, you scan the code again. So this is some real heavy duty tracking of your whereabouts. So the policy is that you try to limit your time out of the classroom to seven minutes or less, and also that you only leave the classroom to go to the bathroom, ideally.
Speaker 2: No more than three times a day.
Speaker 3: Now, the first thing I will tell you is the school says this is not a strict policy. These are not These are not strict rules that you are in trouble if you don't follow them. These are guidelines that we are asking the kids to follow, and apparently not all the teachers are even bothering to tell their kids, Hey, I want you to follow this policy. So before we get into the policy and whether it's a problem, first of all, let's.
Speaker 2: Talk about this.
Speaker 3: You can't have a situation where if you want to have a procedure, let's call this a procedure. It's a procedure that the school at least would lie the students to follow.
Speaker 2: You can't have it.
Speaker 3: If some teachers are like, I don't care I'm not gonna even try to make anybody do it, and maybe you have another teacher who's being pretty strict about it.
Speaker 2: You can't operate that way.
Speaker 3: So first, the first screw up on the part of Edison High School, in my opinion, is they didn't make it clear to the teachers what level of compliance they wanted on the part of the teachers in terms of enforcing it or suggesting it or whatever. They obviously, so it's bedlam over there in terms of that.
Speaker 2: Number two.
Speaker 3: The next level is it's very difficult to say to students, hey, here's a bunch of specific stuff we want you to do, but you don't. If you don't do it, like, you're not in trouble and nothing bad's gonna happen to you, but we'd really like you to do it. That That is not how you get people to comply with things. Whenever I've been asked to follow any kinds of procedures or so forth, that's the first thing I want to know. Is it a rule and I'm in trouble, it's actionable against me if I don't follow it?
Speaker 2: Or does it not matter?
Speaker 3: Because if it doesn't matter, I will decide for myself if I'm going to do it or not. And I've got to believe high school kids are at least as flippant about authority as I am, and understandably, so that's no good. Either have an actual policy that everybody is expected to follow and is enforced somehow, or don't.
Speaker 2: Just don't. Now, why why are they even doing this?
Speaker 3: Is it because they're terribly interested in the bathroom habits of high school kids? Well, they say no, and I don't think that they I don't think that's the reason.
Speaker 2: They say.
Speaker 3: This is too so we know where students are in case there is a fire or god forbid. You know what a school, you know, that's the purpose of the policy. It's a safety thing. So we know where you are something happens and you're not in the classroom. We can go, oh, well, yes, he's not supposed to be in the classroom right now. He left the classroom and he scanned it. That's what they're saying. But they also the principal also said Daniel Morris is his name. But he also said, oh, there's been a problem with students smoking in the bathrooms and then the fire alarms go off, and so we need to know who's going to the bathroom and how often they're going to the bathroom, because if the fire alarms keep going off, then we can, and this is the best part, we can you know, expel them. No, we can have a discussion with a student or provide them with extra support. What hey, you know you're smoke looking in the bathroom and you're setting off the fire alarm. Is there is there anything we can help you with? Do you want us to get you some nicotine patches? So there is this online petition that I told you about, and it's on where you always put your petitions on change dot org. And as of right now, I'm looking at it right now, I'll actually refresh the page just in case I missed anything.
Speaker 2: Nope.
Speaker 3: So they have a goal of five hundred signatures and they have four hundred and fifty six signatures. And the student that started the petition said, Hey, this is a bigger problem than you think, because the students are worried now that they could get in trouble if they have to use the bathroom too frequently.
Speaker 2: You also have and didn't I didn't know that. I knew that.
Speaker 3: I knew that women menstru eight. I knew that, and I knew that it starts off in high school and even before so I knew that there are students in high school who menstr eight.
Speaker 2: I knew that, and I knew.
Speaker 3: That there's this thing called toxic shock syndrome that can be very dangerous that is related to the use of tampons.
Speaker 2: I knew that.
Speaker 3: What I didn't know is that some students, because they do they're afraid of getting toxic shock syndrome, they change their pads or their tampons every couple of hours. So if you're in school for eight hours, that's at least four times that you would need to go and do that. So they're saying, hey, we can't have this level of scrutiny about this behavior because it's gonna make everybody nervous.
Speaker 2: They're gonna feel like they're under a microscope.
Speaker 3: And also here I'll read from the petition now that it's inherently unconstitutional. The Fourth Amendment protects individuals from unreasonable searches and invasions of privacy, and bathroom policies recording the number and duration of bathroom visits are a well. Here, it says could be seen as an infringement also that girls often require more bathroom visits, and therefore they this could be a sex discrimination on the part of the policy.
Speaker 2: I think that's a reach, but.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't want to have to. I don't blame these kids for not wanting to have to. And we'll see if the school backs off at all or clarifies more helpfully what the hell it is they're trying to accomplish.
Speaker 2: Let's get some.
Speaker 3: News from Amy King and then you know this Prop thirty six it's gonna be on the ballot. Prop thirty six would undo a lot of what Prop forty seven did. This all has to do with being being tough on crime, soft on crime. No, let's get tough on crime again. And there's an interesting wrinkle that just happened involving a million Dollarsalgreens has announced they're going to close twelve thousand stores, not all at once, because they're getting their clock cleaned by online competitors and also through various insurance programs, the payout for prescription drugs are going down. By twenty twenty seven, one in seven Wallgreens will be gone. Over the next year, they'll close five hundred of them. This means it's highly likely that your favorite Walgreens won't be there in three years. And I don't know if you remember, but it was just back in June where they said, hey, listen, we're going to shut down three hundred underperforming locations. We have a big optimization program going on, and we're going to do that. And now here they are a few months later and it's twelve hundred. So if you have a favorite Walgreens, enjoy it. While you can now onto the issue of crime and propositions about crime and ideas about crime. The ideas are basically, be tough on crime, don't be soft on crime. And so you may remember when California voters passed Proposition forty seven, and this was a swing towards the idea that we should be softer on crime. Take some felonies, make them misdemeanors, do some other things, with the bottom line being send fewer people to prison. Now you are asked to vote for Prop thirty six, and Prop thirty six is a takes these backsies on Prop forty seven. It's going to return some of those crimes to felony status and do some other things. And it does have at least one component in there that is designed to be to have it, let's say, a rehabilitative component, and that is more opportunities for treatment for people who need it, although we have no idea how that's going to get paid for. A lot of money being spent for and against in rough terms. At the state level, Republicans like Prop thirty six.
Speaker 2: Democrats don't.
Speaker 3: That's at the state level, though, when you go down to the local level, there are all kinds of elected officials and mayors, including Democratic mayors from San Francisco and San Jose and San Diego who support it. So if you're going to be fair about it, you have to say it it has bipartisan support. If you don't look only at Sacramento. Newsom doesn't lack it. But I don't know that that's a surprise. And so here's the thing I told you there was an interesting wrinkle involving a million dollars. The big organization that is that is promoting Proposition thirty six. It's called Californians for Safer Communities. They have what I'm about to describe is not in any way illegal or even untoward, just so you know, but it's interesting they've given a million dollars to the California Republican Party, a five hundred thousand dollars contribution on September twenty and another one on the first of the month.
Speaker 2: Again totally legal.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying anything other than it's interesting because we haven't had the election yet and they feel that they can take some of the money that they have to support the proposition and they can give it to the Republican Party to help the Republican Party.
Speaker 2: And know what that.
Speaker 3: Means is, this is my point, they must be very sure and highly confident that it's gonna pass and that they do not need every single dollar that they have to promote it.
Speaker 2: That's what that means.
Speaker 3: And it's probably true because here is a very recent poll conducted by the UC Berkeley Institute of Governmental Studies for Prop thirty six, to basically roll back soft on crime Prop forty seven sixty percent yes, twenty one percent no, nineteen undecided. So every single person who hasn't made up their mind yet, even if they all decide to vote against it, it still passes sixty forty.
Speaker 2: Let's get some news from Amy King, and.
Speaker 3: Then we're gonna we're gonna talk about a thing that you put in your body. That's very weird, but it's also very popular. Right now, find out what it is. Apparently, when I was talking about how Walgreens is going to close twelve hundred stores over the next three years, which is a much bigger set of closures than they originally announced at one point or maybe it was even more, I said twelve thousand, which is just that's just mouth. You know, that's just mouth to brain or brain to mouth communication failure. But I want to give a shout out to KFI News because it was Carla in the newsroom who heard me unintentionally say twelve thousand instead of twelve hundred. And you know, I got the word that I had done it, so that I can come on and tell you that I know it's twelve hundred, and just please please forgive my addled brain. You know, since I retired from the morning show full time, I don't get up at the crack of dawn anymore, so I'm not used to it. Okay, Irata has been published vocally. Now let's talk about this very weird thing that you put in your body. A lot of you do, and you love it. You some of you love it a lot. I'm talking about doctor Pepper. So first let's just agree and admit doctor Pepy. Even in the world of soda type beverages, doctor pepper is weird. What the hell does it taste like? Does it taste like cough medicine? Does it taste like prune juice? Does it taste like a cherry kind of? Does it taste like licorice?
Speaker 2: A little bit? Yes, all of it.
Speaker 3: It tastes like everything and nothing specific at the same time. And the reason I'm bringing up doctor Pepper is because doctor Pepper is on a tear of popularity. It was very popular when it first came out, and then it was not as popular, and now.
Speaker 2: It is so popular.
Speaker 3: That it tied Pepsi last year as the best selling soda in the United States.
Speaker 2: You have Coke is number one. Coke is always going to be number one.
Speaker 3: That's the way it's going to be, and it would and then it would go Pepsi number two, and then other stuff down. Doctor Pepper surging tying the regular version of Pepsi as the second best selling soda in the US.
Speaker 2: And that said, don't believe me.
Speaker 3: That's from Beveridge Digest, which you know, if you're gonna trust anything, why not a magazine all about beverages. According to a consumer research firm called Civic Science, almost twenty five percent of adults in America drink doctor Pepper. So if you're at work right now, look around, if there's three other people there, for sure want to use drinking doctor Pepper. And that's up from from just four years ago it was only about sixteen percent drank doctor Pepper with any regularity, and now it's back. I think part of it is honestly, see, doctor Pepper was always weird, and the other big companies, Coke and Pepsi, they started getting weird.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you got your hands on an Oreo Coke zero.
Speaker 3: I didn't. I couldn't find one. But that's a that's a recent big thing. It's coke, but it tastes like an Oreo cookie. And then Oreo came out.
Speaker 2: With cookies that tastes like Coca cola.
Speaker 3: And do you remember also when Coke put out that it was called Starlight and it was supposed to taste like outer space. Pepsi came out with some sodas that are that that tastes.
Speaker 2: Like some moores.
Speaker 3: I think and you were to mix them together. So the two big brands like got weird. They started with weird stuff and the whole time Doctor Pepper has been there, like, hey, we've been weird ever since we were invented. It's not new to us. Who invented doctor Pepper. Charles Alderton, a pharmacist. You know, Coke was invented by a pharmacist, and Pepsi was invented by a pharmacist, and so was doctor Pepper. And part of that is because it used to be you had the pharmacy and there was a soda fountain.
Speaker 2: And the reason that there was a soda fountain.
Speaker 3: Was because back then people thought carbonated water was good for your health. If you were sick, have some seltzer. That was the thinking. So you'd go to the pharmacy and you could get aspirin, or you could have some seltzer. But seltzer's boring. We all want plane. Seltzer is boring. So the pharmacists would start to make in different like fruit syrups and different flavors for the customers. But it was still at that point it wasn't about tasting good. It was trying to make it taste good, so you would drink it for your health. So anyway, Doctor Pepper was invented in the late eighteen hundreds, I believe it's that's before cocer pepsi, and it was invented in Texas. People loved it, they really they went crazy for doctor Pepper, and then it fell by the wayside, and now it is back with a vengeance. Coca Cola tried to buy Doctor Pepper and the FTC said no, you may not. So Doctor Pepper now is part of a larger company, the same company that owns seven Up and Snapple and schwepes and A and w root Beer and also Currig coffee makers. That's all the same company. But Doctor Pepper is now so big and so important they get to be part of the company. Name the company is Courig Doctor Pepper. That's how big it is. It's all over TikTok, It's all over Reddit.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: On Reddit, there's a subreddit for fans of coke and a subreddit for fans of pepsi. But the doctor Pepper subreddit has more members than coke or Pepsi's because people like coke, but they don't love coke. I mean, really, with their whole lives. People who are like doctor Pepper Man, they are fanatics. And I want to leave you with one thing because it made me laugh. Somebody was on Reddit and they were trying to describe the taste of doctor Pepper, which is difficult to do, as you know. So this person said that to doctor Pepper tastes like a sexy battery. Made me laugh again. It's just funny. I don't know why it's funny. It's just funny to me. Let's get some news from Amy King and then we will be talking to rich DeMuro because it is Tech Tuesday. He is the host of Rich on Tech right here on KFI every Saturday from eleven to two pm, and he will be with us to talk about some new tools to make a video by saying things I know that sounds weird, he'll explain it way better than I just did.
Speaker 2: And how to keep tabs on Grandma.
Speaker 3: It's KFI AM six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show. Catch my show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.