Speaker 1: Are you still covered in blood? Callum? Oh, he's eating toast.
Speaker 2: I'm eating my dinner because I literally, fresh from the cold face said hello to the missus and my little ones, and I was like, yeah bye, I'm going upstairs to my hule to record this straight away. I haven't even taken my jacket off. I'm eating a toasty which replaced regular dinner. I'm covered in blood and the dog absolutely loves it. It's the best thing. It seems to have slided off now, but yeah, she's probably gone down to lick my bag clean.
Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome back to Country Slide, where we have Calum as usual here in some sort of state of disarray. Callum, did you just nod on a podcast? No? No, And rather than having the haunted scarecrow that's imbued with a spirit of Serties, that is Richard Nigas, we have a special guest host this week. Would you like to say hello?
Speaker 3: Should I say it like negus? If I hold my nose and speak like this? Do you think do you think anyone knows a difference?
Speaker 2: I think I think they might.
Speaker 3: Was that not accurate?
Speaker 1: There's the lilt of a very exotic accent.
Speaker 3: I'm very exotic baby.
Speaker 1: Who are you and where are you from?
Speaker 3: I'm Nick Adamson from the Forest of Dean.
Speaker 1: So previous guest on Country Slide. You may remember Nick from the Positive Forestry episode which I wasn't on because I was being miserable. I was being miserable in the forest somewhere.
Speaker 3: I think that's what for.
Speaker 1: So you're a professional forester, but you're also from You are a forester from the.
Speaker 3: Forest contractor anam from the Forest of Dean. So yeah, proper forester.
Speaker 1: So the Forest of Dean is that in Wales you're.
Speaker 3: Just trying to annoy. It's not Wales. It's barely England.
Speaker 2: He's quite good.
Speaker 1: It's kind of in between, isn't it. It's like the bottom bottom right of Wales.
Speaker 2: Taint it is.
Speaker 3: It's all between Monmouth and the River Seven. It's like a republic, like an island, but with like no water all the way around, just trees and wild boar.
Speaker 1: Have you ever been to the Forest of.
Speaker 2: Dean Callum, Yeah, Yeah, I've been. I've been to the wire fishing in the around that area, and I've been to the all the the pubs and whatnot. Yeah, I did not all the pubs, but some of the pubs that exist have been to them, but though they're quite seasonal, which is some of them only open for a few months of the year and what not. But yeah, I've done. I've done the Forest of Dean. I fished the river y never caught a bible, which was incredibly disappointing. But yeah, I've been to the area. All I remember is that the roads, like you wouldn't want a car that you'd like to keep for any length of time, Like I wouldn't buy a car from the Forest of Dean as the handbrake would have been tested quite a lot for any parking clutch, and and I would definitely be checking the underneath. There's like I remember at one point just scraping the entire bottom of the car just to get to the AIRB and B and that was like the only access road in And I was like, hm hmm, strange.
Speaker 1: So when you were in the Forest of Dean, did you acquire your fern ticket? Is that? Am I saying that correct?
Speaker 3: You are indeed saying that correct.
Speaker 1: What is a fern ticket? Can you explain it to the boys and girls at home? The fer and ticket is whilst keeping your job and things.
Speaker 3: I employed myself. I'll keep my job. It is a fer and ticket is if you haven't amorous young couple, they want to get a bit more amorous a young man or you know, two young ladies or two young men. We don't judge. It's modern times. You can go into the wood and you can acquire your fern ticket and I'll leave you to decide how that is acquired.
Speaker 2: Do you know what. My mind went straight to the gutter when you said that, and it was it was actually the correct thing to guess. So there we are. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Is it something that's openly talked about everybody's proud of, just some sort of thing that is it something you're asked about when you're about sixteen or twenty one, just.
Speaker 3: Sort of when you first start going to pubs when you're like fifteen, the fronk ticket becomes a thing.
Speaker 1: Because I've got a bit of an obsession with the Forest of Dean because well, being from Cornwall, I feel like we have a sort of a kinship of being stuck out in the arts end of nowhere, in a very rural place with not much to do, and it's got very unique culture. So I do I like the Forest of Dean a lot, and I don't know, I don't know why I've got this affinity with it because I've only I've only spent about three weeks there in my throughout the entirety of my life.
Speaker 3: It is definitely a unique place. I love it. I mean, I've lived in Scotland for about three and a half years and I well, I'd love being there, but I couldn't wait to get back. It's a whole minute. And I think a lot of people, like if you're from Cornwall, Essex orherever ours, I think homes are always home in it. But it is sort of I know everyone and I know everywhere. I probably know where Can scraped his car.
Speaker 2: There's multiple basses, all of them.
Speaker 1: So what's this business with the bears?
Speaker 3: The bears? I know we're going to talk about the bears.
Speaker 1: We have to talk about the bears if we did the Dean, and we need to explain.
Speaker 3: I think it's the thing that everybody knows about the Dean is like who killed the bear or it was Cinderford lads who killed the bear? It was us because I'm from Cinderford, and the story goes so it's like the eighteen eighties, I think it was. So it was a French circus came today and they had dancing bears, and the dancing bears attacked a child or something, and then they moved the circus up to Ruin Dean and these Cindford lads for the circus killed the bears, got arrested and then somehow lost in the strands of time. Everyone from Rudine got blamed for it. And then there's this supposed rivalry then, which I don't think anyone really cares to be a quite as you. But that's the story.
Speaker 1: So is it true that people used to run into the pub in Rudine and then shout who killed the bears? And then get chased down the street?
Speaker 3: Possibly before my time? I've never done it. I've lived in both places and I've never been chased.
Speaker 1: Have you chased people?
Speaker 3: Not for that reason?
Speaker 2: Good Artswer?
Speaker 3: You know this is public so it's not.
Speaker 2: That was my phone ticket?
Speaker 3: Give it back?
Speaker 1: We Uh, yeah, we've got some interesting pockets out there in the UK, haven't we. When you go out to some strange places, I mean Calum and I on every phone call pretty much end up exchange. He exchanges a little bit of law with me about the backstory of Callum.
Speaker 2: So yeah, usually left scratching your head for a little bit, okay.
Speaker 1: And every now and again there's something he says and I say, no, don't finish that story. You can finish it on the podcast. So now i'd like you to tell me why you got involved in basket weaving.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you like that one.
Speaker 1: It's not a normal story, Callum.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it because I think the point that I was making is how how often we're we're people greet us with opportunities of plenty and instead of taking them, instead of taking them, we kind of put two fingers up to the man. It's just going no, no, and one touch occasion, a gentleman k into my college class and we'd not long been doing film studies and we'd watch The Wickerman. So this gentleman asked me if I would like to and if you haven't seen The Wickerman. It's an old film. It is it Cornwall somewhere Scott, Yeah, close enough, not geographically, I know that anyway. It's some backwards place. We haven't offended anyone since like for two weeks, so it's some backwards place. Could be Cornwall, could be Scotland.
Speaker 1: Brilliant.
Speaker 2: Anyway, they they take a person, put them into a giant Wickerman and then set them on fire in a sort of a sacrifice, and that's the weird, messed up premise of the film and Outsider and he gets he gets set on fire. So I decided this gentleman that came to us he wanted to rich our lives in college. So my suggestion he wanted extracurricular activities was wicker was wicker basket weaving. I said, I want to make and I want to make things out of wicker and he was like, what an excellent idea, callum, I will write that down, and he wrote that down. And there was also other things that was like after college people played football and stuff, and do you know, fast forward about six months and all the florestry students they all took up the wicker basket making, as did other people from outside of the college. So they're just regular people thought it was a fantastic activity, and all of the enrichment classes dropped off within the year, except for wicker basket making, which was a roaring success at Harlow College. All because I wanted to be a complete dick and suggest the idea that we've burned some in a wicker basket or wicker man. Yeah, that's the story.
Speaker 1: These are not normal stories, callum, and think of the legacy that you leave behind you across the nation as you go through. Because Hm, I don't want to say that you've matured, but I think you've just become more elaborate and more sophisticated in your shit housery.
Speaker 2: Shit housary was the word I was sort of had in my mind. But yeah, this ship housery has never stupped. It just just takes on different four gets refined.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, even just like do you just do micro shit housery, like just say say this is this is a search term that we could definitely capitalize on because we possibly could be the first people to ever suggest micro shit housery as a as a term. But like I often replace our fresco and our dente, So I just swapped them out just just to piss people off. So if like, if we're going out to eat outside, I'll say, oh, yeah, come on, let's eat our dente, or I'll you know, you take some pasta and say that's perfect. It's just our Fresco and just micro shit housery brings such joy to my life every time, every time I do it, So yeah, embrace it.
Speaker 1: Like an intentional del boy from Only Fools and Horses, aren't you?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, just as long as you can see people with slight discomfort, that's that's energy giving to me, you know.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, following on from last week's discussion about special educational needs, do you think people sort of look at you and think, oh, bless Oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm surprised there isn't like a sort of go fund me page just for me.
Speaker 1: When you go around the supermarket. Do they have the collection team that you can point to and go that's for me?
Speaker 2: That one I find on shoe days because I'm not wearing tweed as well. Not only do people.
Speaker 1: Backward because you're not wearing tweed, well.
Speaker 2: Well they always think I'm cold and also just a little bit like they oh, poor you. You just get like this this sympathetic tone, like they want to crazy with you in their arms and give you a little hug, maybe bring you inside and give you soup. Yeah, you're like a you Okay, Oh, it must be a hard day, do you know what I pull that licking.
Speaker 3: And those get the image in my head. I don't. I don't even remember Calm Richard. You might back in the seventies and eighties and used to get these like collection tins in off licenses. And I don't want to say the word because I'll get told off and thrown out. But that's the image I have in my head.
Speaker 1: It is it the word we used to use at school, all right, not in a Nigel, but anyway, every day.
Speaker 3: I'm thinking of the penny going down through the thing, and it's a penny for color, I'll take it.
Speaker 1: And if you know which charity team we're referring to listeners, please write in to info that country.
Speaker 2: Do.
Speaker 1: Let's see if we can get our email account frozen. This is the thing, though, there's an element of working in sort of land based industries, particularly when you're younger and you've been left alone with machinery in the middle of nowhere to do stuff. It normally takes about forty five minutes at least, but then something happens, doesn't it Normally like you get enough of the job done and then you start messing around or is that just me?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it might be just you.
Speaker 2: I think, well, I think Nick's actually got a serious job that he needs to do, and he's probably got quotas to feel. You just you just have a career where you just sort of your career is like a random career generators, like spinning a wheel and then which one would you which one would you play today? Oh, I'm going to be a carpenter. Wow, I best get the gloves from the shed.
Speaker 1: It's just adhd, isn't it. But it's also you end up having. If you want to run your own business, you end up having to do about twenty different things anyway, become sort of slightly half asked and competent at all of them in order to survive, you know how much.
Speaker 3: Because I run my business with my mate. What we've done is I get the work, and he makes sure we can keep doing it. So I still get so he repairs everything because I'm not so hot of that, and I'm charming as anything, obviously, and so I get all the work, and I do all the secretary of stuff cause I love better and a skirt and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: So you're the Richard nigis to the You're to the Richard and gould Show and Gold. You never see Gordy dear No, because he's busy doing all the work.
Speaker 1: Are you the one that talks to the nice man from Strutton Parker who's wearing the he's wearing the very nice cords and got the.
Speaker 3: Clipbook and we negotiate prices and things like that, and then Mark knows why why did you do that?
Speaker 2: What I really like in my in my head is that that you're sitting there talking and then your business partner's over there just doing the really hard stuff, but just completely unable to communicate and just grunting while like chainsawing different bits, and you're just sort of looking looking prim and proper, while well, he gets the real stuff done.
Speaker 3: And you met me prim and proper.
Speaker 2: No, in my head, I should imagine, imagine. I like the way that you took that as quite a literal thing, and you didn't disagree with anything other than you weren't prim and proper.
Speaker 3: But the Mark would be drinking tea waiting for this to be sorted out. Which is the correct.
Speaker 1: Thing to do it is? I mean, you can never finish tea before the end of the.
Speaker 3: Day, should you. Your flash should be empty after dinner time.
Speaker 1: Really, I always save a bit the morning coffee is always there in the for the afternoon.
Speaker 2: What times dinner time?
Speaker 1: Halfway when you remember, Yeah, it depends how the day is going.
Speaker 3: Trouble is when you're planting. For all, I really like planting. I am very much in the minority. It is quite boring, so I can't have ear pods and listen to music or podcasts or something like that. So I'm pretty much away of the fairies for most of the day, in my own head with my own thoughts, which is a scary place to be. So I very often get to sort to clock and think hungry. I wonder what time it is?
Speaker 2: Oh ship, I think they call that a flow state in the Yeah. I think you just you just so, you don't listen to anything, You just raw dog planting stuff. How does what does that look like?
Speaker 1: Because that is alien?
Speaker 3: Is I just I've got I don't know. I just like being in my own head. There's lots of voices in there. It's brilliant. You can have you can have a massive commison, you can have quite a good conversation. It's it's like a town hall in my head. And there's lots of different people. There's lots of different opinions. I'm not always agreeing with each other. I love it.
Speaker 2: I just want you to know this is a safe space and you can tell.
Speaker 1: Us anything recorded or shared with like five thousand people or anything.
Speaker 3: And it's not safe as the Forestry WhatsApp chat though, which is the safest of same places.
Speaker 1: No, I mean patrons may remember Nick from half of the message notifications on your phone. Callum, can you ask me about my truck?
Speaker 2: I was literally just about to give you, give you the full thing. If I could turn the camera around to you could see it, says ask about truck.
Speaker 1: Yes, because I've touched on it in previous episodes. But now we need to explain the full sarga because also you two both sort of like vehicles, and you know, you are practical and like Richard Nigas who just goes to buy a thing and then drives it to places and anybody's broken gets a man in to fix it. I've had this truck for about fifteen years now, I do Zoo Trooper. It's on two hundred and thirty thousand miles old three point one diesel engine. So this before before ECUs, No computers in it. Everything's mechanical nineteen ninety four plate as well, so it's thirty two years old and I've ever been half the life. Yeah, and when I bought it for four hundred pounds from a farmer, half of it was missing. Basically you can tell which bit I was working on in which year based on how good my welds are, because I learned to weld on this chassis and the bodywork. And just before Christmas, you know, we had to go in for the mot and I started poking at some of the mud and realized it was just mud. There was no there was no metal behind there where I thought there was, so it was just that. And then I thought, well, I'll do a bit of welding. And then every time I took off the mud that was covering the hole next to where I was working, I discovered another whole a bit further on. And I think I've shared some photos with you. It looked like lace basically in a few places. And I've been towing some quite heavy things like mini diggers and chippers and stuff with this, so it's been alarming.
Speaker 2: And this is things you've weld's mostly yourself.
Speaker 1: No, they were the original Japanese steel, so you know, blame the Japanese for this, I think, But.
Speaker 2: God, could we can offend Cornwall, Japan and Scotland. This could be the best episode yet.
Speaker 1: I mean ever since that that pasty based Hagis Sushi bar incident. God, that was that was difficult, wasn't it? That was terrible? I should try doing comedy one day. So welded on this. Yeah, I've put about thirty hours into this truck because I've had to re weld half the chassis. It's bloody solid Now it looks really good. Remay made a new Winch bumper for the front, for the back, fabricated everything. I've sent Calum some photos. It does actually look half decent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you've you've got a patchwork quilt of a car and it does look all right.
Speaker 1: It does. It's a bit it's like the ship of theseus or triggers boom, depends on your reference. But it's all there and it's all legal and safe. So I booked it in for its mot local place, well the local chain, and I won't say which one, but it's the one that's about to go bust that begins with a and ends in ts or a Master. They're local one that I've been going through for years. They're just not operating now. So I had to get booked in a place called Real, right on the coast. Real is like our Colford. I suppose you could say Nick for Calum. It's I don't know, yes, interesting. But the went all the way up there, drove up half an hour away, drove all the way there get their first thing on Saturday morning, went to see dropped it off with the guys, and I thought, I'm going to hang around just to see how this goes, because I'm still nervous about whether it's going to get through the mot or whether it's just going to walk out and shelut at me. And the guy comes out and it's a It's a guy used to be the mot testerer at the other place. He's done the mot on it five times out of the last six years. Brilliant, he knows the car, he's familiar with it, he's familiar with me. Great, went through the mot absolutely fine, two advisories, pitted break discs, everything else. Very complimentary on the chassis and everything else. The factor drowned it in a lot of underbody sealant probably helped, but you know, yeah, Nice went through it all, chatted to the bloke, chatted to them about their redundancies, their future lives, their kids, everything, you know, long long conversation, and I'm very happy it's past mot brilliant, my pride and joy. He just says, oh, I'll back it out of the mot bay for you. Oh. Nice gets into it, reverses and reverses it straight back into a customer's car, nails down the side of this customer's car. There twenty four plate forward. I reckon. It's probably caused about eight to ten grands worth of damage on the car me having passed my Amot about six minutes previously. Fortunately, due to my very well made new rear bumper and winge bumper, my car is absolutely fine. It's just got a scuff on the bumper. But he's just he's nailed a trench down the side car.
Speaker 3: Listeners, because I've sitten the photo of the back of your try when you say bumper, they should visualize girder.
Speaker 1: It's five mili mile steel in places, yeah, all.
Speaker 3: Of the places.
Speaker 2: Ah, okay, it weighs more than calum And when we say ford are we are? We talking Fiesta. Are we talking Ranger?
Speaker 1: Something is something a bit more expensive? Yeah? I think I think he may have written off a customer's car with my Winch bumper.
Speaker 2: And how does that work in insure?
Speaker 1: I have no idea because I wasn't driving. It was insured because I maintained the insurance and tax, and it was in mot because he just emotied it. I was holding the piece of paper.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course.
Speaker 1: So when he reversed into this guy's car, I watched it happen because I just, you know, I'm completely numb to everything at this point, and I just watched it happen and all right, okay, fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's not you problem, is it?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 2: Happy days?
Speaker 1: He went in and told his boss. His boss came out and picked up his coffee mug and yeated it across the yard when he saw what happened. And yeah, I just turned to my said, can I go? Do I need to be here for this? Is this? Is this a me problem? Is it an ATS problem? You're going so.
Speaker 2: It'll all work out in the liquidation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the thing, is like their companies are still going to exist when they're claiming against it.
Speaker 3: I don'd very top of.
Speaker 1: No, but I was a witness to it. There's very little evidence of damage on my truck. I can highly recommend the Buzzworld DTM Direct Metal paint though as a armor all for mild steel.
Speaker 2: And this week's sponsor, So this is this week's episode is brought to you by.
Speaker 1: Yeah hashtag Built on Board.
Speaker 2: But this is well, that was excellent.
Speaker 1: I thought, yeah, you'd like that one. But keeping older stuff on the road is starting to make more sense, particularly with current issues, because the tax for most vehicles, I mean for some vehicles it's jumping up by about two I think in some cases it's going to be over six hundred quid for tax for certain old end eines, isn't it? And a larger engines because I'm based on emissions and I don't know what a diesel price is like with you guys at the moment.
Speaker 2: Well, I came back from Crufts the other day down the M six and obviously you know that I don't know. There's certain statistic people that work at the pricing structures of all these garages and there was like one eighty at the Shell garage near the M six for diesel. So it was insane. But what's some the scariest stuff is there's certain shortages that go on just because of things that happen that make prices of stuff absolutely wild. Do you know about the great hay shortage? Probably got a bit of hay around the forest Dean, Yes, But hay price right now is wild.
Speaker 1: Man inflicted with horses.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, Honestly, at this point, it's just like we'll just wait for the grass to grow. And most people are just like, we're We've got some grass, so it's fine, But it would be good to give them hay. At the moment, we're just giving them a bit more fiber and stuff. But I just delved into the rabbit hole of trying to get it. Like, if you need hay, it will need to come from the continent or from Scotland if you live in the south. It was I think it was sixty five pounds of bale was last year's price. They want one hundred and eighty pounds of bale now if you want to buy just a regular sized bail of hay, and it will only come from Scotland or in the Constant because everybody in the hole of the Southeast and probably Midlands as well have all run out. It's mental.
Speaker 1: You don't want to know that I'm paying thirty quid for a big bail of haldge. Do you delivered?
Speaker 2: That is?
Speaker 1: That is sickening, because absolutely sickening. I am within the delivery radius of mister bails.
Speaker 2: Don't think I won't bring you some horses, because I will bring you horses.
Speaker 1: It's six six mile radius. He delivers. He brings it on the He brings two at a time, one in the grabs on the front of the tractor and the other one impaled on the back, and he'll drive three miles down the road and just sort of throw it out into the field and drive off again.
Speaker 2: As he thought about doing uber because he could probably still make a few quid if he if he did the fair that way.
Speaker 1: Last time I saw him, he was ranting about the mirrors on his tractor because they're quite expensive to replace, and the crows have been destroying them. Because the crows perch on the little arm for the mirror, they see themselves in the mirror and then they peck peck the mirror until it's matches.
Speaker 2: That sounds like a hot fuzz thing that might happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this I don't know was it? You haven't got horses every Nick.
Speaker 3: Don't have big pets. I've got a dog that's rapidly growing to the size of a donkey and looks like a donkey and acts like a donkey.
Speaker 2: Are you sure it's not? Did you buy it from a man in a pub?
Speaker 1: Eat a suspicious amount of carrots? Eat everything? So something just collapsed behind Callum. So for listeners at home, Callum every week there's some sort of detritus of his life somewhere in the background. Sometimes he tidies up, and then sometimes there's just things arrive in there and I'll spend all the episode trying to work out what the hell is behind him?
Speaker 2: Do you want to see what happened this week? This is Remember you said invite Nick on the ADHD will be turned down a bit.
Speaker 1: Now, why are you in a changing room?
Speaker 2: The whole thing that the whole thing got turned into a wardrobe.
Speaker 1: That's just a rail of clothing all the way down the length of the many shirts? How many clothes?
Speaker 3: Who needs that many shirts?
Speaker 2: Because I sometimes I have to be a smart boy, because I do actually work in places where I don't I'm not allowed to be covered in blood and stink.
Speaker 1: You know, you're allowed to wear the same shirt more than once though.
Speaker 2: What that's not thesex a listeners.
Speaker 3: They are most people as well.
Speaker 1: It's how many of Ben Sherman.
Speaker 2: Do you want to know?
Speaker 1: God?
Speaker 2: John? If true?
Speaker 1: Some of them?
Speaker 2: Some of them are top Man right, which which went into administration many years ago, and it was way before administration days as well. Some of them are I reckon some of them and knocking on easy fifteen years maybe twenty.
Speaker 3: Wow. I have many older shirts than.
Speaker 2: That, the good quality shirts. You know, those those those Bangladeshi kids, they really knew how to stitch back then and now and now the Primark Primar generation they just don't know how to that fast fashions just you know, it's not got the stain power it once had.
Speaker 3: About twenty years ago, I got I went to you know those like shops like the Real Deal or whatever they're called, just cheap tat, and I've got I've got a sheep shagger from there. I've still got it now and it's still the best coat I've ever had. It's really warm, it's waterproof, and it cost me a tenor I can't recommend it enough.
Speaker 2: It cost me a ten.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Can you describe a sheep shager.
Speaker 3: A sheep shagger? You know, it's like the play will eat cot sometimes with the hood. Sometimes you only see them.
Speaker 1: Do you mean like the Dickies ones.
Speaker 3: Many brands of ail. I think mine's a blue castle.
Speaker 2: I can't google that.
Speaker 3: Give me something, you know, like a plaid shirt but like with fury on the inside, like a coat urban areas, do you.
Speaker 2: It's very very forest You absolutely would see that. Yeah, yeah, it's it's like a lumberge, like classic lumberge at uniform, something like.
Speaker 3: The ball Fleets, but less ship.
Speaker 2: You would see them with a super dry logo in an urban environment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if it was urban, it'd be Carhart, now, wouldn't it. They've sort of appropriated actual work where.
Speaker 2: I like. I like that concept that you can appropriate the working man into a gentrified wardrobe capsule.
Speaker 1: So I'm waiting for the urban fashionistas to adopt the sort of general tradesman trousers that have these sort of integral pockets at the front, the extra flat pocket, well.
Speaker 2: Tactical where is a big thing. It was annoying that I started buying arctics, and then it become fashionable because like people wanted to buy it, and then you didn't know what was the fashion stuff and what was the actual good stuff. It become quite quite tricky.
Speaker 1: Given the nix in prime. I've moved slightly away from Hereford but not too far country for special forces where he is, and I know at least three people within the forest there who used to do interesting things and now run pubs and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: It's quite a future still a boat now you don't know them. You look at and think, oh, I know what you did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're always either looking at looking at a watch or looking at the door while they're.
Speaker 3: Still talking to the corner of the pub.
Speaker 2: You can tell with no.
Speaker 3: Back to the wall, they can see all the entrances.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it's painfully accurate because that is the lived. I did a wedding somewhere around there with people that worked in those places.
Speaker 1: And specific description.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, at one point I can say this. At one point there was a picture of the man that I know in the just taken a dip in Saddam Hussein swimming pool about four days after being captured. So that was an interesting photo to see.
Speaker 1: How often do you bump into Richard Hammond's down your way?
Speaker 3: Ever seen him? He lives in Ross now I think, or near Ross. Yeah, he's moved from the forest, not very far.
Speaker 1: I think that he used to have a big house and now he doesn't. Is that correct?
Speaker 3: Idea? Well?
Speaker 2: Was it big? Was it big in proportion to him? Or was it a.
Speaker 3: Position to comment? Because I think he's a.
Speaker 1: Have You don't work at his house?
Speaker 2: Uh as your as your local. I once enjoyed a very nice kebab and so it wasn't best, but it was called Jesus the Best, the Best kebab ross on Why. It wasn't the best, but it was good, Big up, big up, ross on Why. And this episode is sponsored by the Best Kebab and Pizza.
Speaker 1: We had a guy on when I used to do in Mountain stuff. He came on an event there and for some reason we end up talking about Ray Meers and he was saying that, you know, he reckons, he's a survival expert and all of that, but you know my cousin, he's a plumber, and he went to fix a boiler at his house. And if he's got a boiler there, how much of a survival expert can he be? And you know, just somebody said something that stayed with you.
Speaker 2: Well, it's sort of it's not wrong, it's just not a modern survival is he? Like? Urban urban survival is also a technique. You know this is true.
Speaker 1: We you survived so far despite the best efforts of what you've said to those people.
Speaker 2: Ah, there's a there's a certain Arguably the British country side is not that dangerous. The the urban, uh, the urban side of thing could often be very dangerous, and you do need to know how to navigate yourself in in such situations. Should should someone be shouting at pigeons in the street, you should probably cross the road or avoid that person. So there is a yeah, there is a survival part of that.
Speaker 1: Whereas it in a rural area, if somebody shouting at pigeons, it's probably Jeff Garrett with his great big tashe sorry, that was a reference for like seventeen people. I think, who know who I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: I've never met Jeff. I'd quite like to meet him. He looks like a fun he looks like a fun character. I feel like I feel like he's either going to be one of two things. For one, he might just talk about pigeons a lot, and then I'll just my eyes will glaze over and I'll just die, or it would just be a nice It'll just be a nice geezer. And I think it's probably the latter.
Speaker 1: What's the strangest thing you found in a forest? Nick?
Speaker 3: That's what I asked me, an easy one. I don't know. It's just put it on to find strange in it, because what some peoples find strange strange normal. I'm going to dure the brain back a bit. Hang on, bodies are quite fun, not human bodies, but you often find.
Speaker 1: Like you have to clarify that qualify that I.
Speaker 3: Find I've found most of the mini but it was but it wasn't actually in which end, the chassy end, as in it was upside down about one hundred yards down a bank, and I thought, I know what you've done? And I did think, do you know what? That's an A series engine in there?
Speaker 1: And it is that?
Speaker 3: No, Nick, is not worth it. Just just gonna get some from somewhere else.
Speaker 2: Can we go back on bodies? What bodies are we finding in the woods? You can't really leave that there and be like, oh, not human bodies and they're not what speed do.
Speaker 3: You come across bones? You thought, well, it's not a sheep and it's probably not a deer, and I'm not entirely sure what it will. Just leave it there.
Speaker 2: Two per cobra. Panther. Oh there's always, there's.
Speaker 3: Always like I've definitely seen a panther on my way home from the pub at about three o'clock in the morning. Yes, you did.
Speaker 2: Do you know if there was ever a place that I thought there might be a panther and it was believable the foresteding, i'd kind of I'd get it. You know. It's when you see like jaguars in in by rivers that's not that far off? What that's not far off? What part of the river y looks like in places where it goes down and it's it's a very big valley, and then you've got all these forests around it.
Speaker 1: The same thing.
Speaker 2: Really, yeah, I mean it's it's almost the same. The people were just a bit friendly at Lease. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Think it's the team is not actually as forestry as you think it is, because quite you know, there's three big towns for four big towns and there's quite a lot of villages and it's quite a small area, so there's not much in between, which is why we have such a problem with the board because there's so many of them, like two thousands or something like that. They well, they had to find foods, so they come into the into the towns. So I live on the edge of Cinderford, but close to the middle as well, and they would regularly come and try and get into my garden. They're fine at five o'clock in the morning when you go to I'm going to go to work.
Speaker 1: Now, ah ship, what's your strategy for dealing with a wild boar in your addressing gown Slipper, Run, get beat it to death whilst wearing a kimono like Joli unminded beat.
Speaker 3: It to death with a kimono. Is that's going to go into the let? It's a kind of uh country slide. Things we shouldn't have said and didn't mean I did. I jumped in my car and I got the horn going and flashed the lights at it into it, charged out the car based off it, and then it ran off and then all my neighbors woke up and wondered what the.
Speaker 2: Noise was are they are they quite dangerous?
Speaker 3: You wouldn't want to make one angry then if you ever seen one, can't They're like massive, like three hundred kilos of hairy anger.
Speaker 1: It's don't do it. I've lost.
Speaker 2: No, I can't. I can't. There's a mother in law a law joke had But you were just jailed straight over the top of that because we're a professional podcast.
Speaker 1: So far.
Speaker 2: Have I ever seen one? Only in footage on a firm or scope and that will be left exactly as it is, so now I haven't actually seen one in the flesh. There is there is quite a few, uh lak orion in in France. You do have quite a lot in the woods there. And also they say, I mean there probably are there. There are a lot, a lot of big hairy beasts around that area to be to be seen. Yeah, I know that they can be dangerous if you especially if you get in the way and they've got young and stuff like that, you can get you get in trouble. Yeah, So we we kept fishing and then made sure that we weren't in the way of any other ball and whatnot.
Speaker 1: What of our neighbors up here. It's quite a thing for Welsh sheep farmers and hill farmers. When you're in sort of your late teens or early twenties, you go off to New Zealand to go and do a spell of work over there. You sort of work shearing there or because you know, they're seasons of the opposite two hours, so you can do half the year there are half that year here. And one of the guys I was talking to is saying, oh, yeah, you had a great time. But he got obsessed with trying to get with one of get one of the wild balls there by dropping out of a tree onto it because they can hunt. They hunt with sort of dogs and knives and spears and guns and things there they do like driven boar hunts and chase them through the forest. And he got obsessed with this idea of lying in ambush in a tree with a knife and a spear so you could just drop down out of it on savage it. You're telling me this at a pub one night.
Speaker 2: I like the idea of like, did you ever play Clasher Clan? So they had the thing called the hog Riders where it used to jump over over walls. Two people have got that that's fine, but my man and my mate did do the advert for it, so you're familiar with hog Rudder. That was the That was the advert. Anyway, it's been a long day, Honestly, it's been a long day, and so the ideas the thing has not been turned down, it's only been turned up. And I feel that my brain is fragmented to a million pieces with YouTube. But anyway, if you're new to.
Speaker 1: Country Slide, maybe you can go back, go back to about twelve months before they were this was this is one for the fans.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, this is all. Then come back to this one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I like.
Speaker 2: I like the idea that he just sort of would jump on it and it would just go crazy and he'd just sort of ride it through the through the wood a short period before dying obviously.
Speaker 1: But you've got to survive the fall, not getting paled by your own weapons, and then fight the ball.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't even like, I'm mid thirties now, I wouldn't even like to bet on my knees jumping from a tree. I sneezed in bed the other day. I nearly ended the world for me. It was so I don't fancy my chances, but perhaps someone with better hypermobility could do such a thing to.
Speaker 3: See how dangerous they are. We needs to have one of those, do you know. It's roboflail things, so it's like a radio controlled tour carrier. And it had a big flare on the front. You send no bomb for me when some other people make one.
Speaker 1: Oh, they're very very they're great fun to rent.
Speaker 3: They're great fun. We had one for a little while. I Might was out newsing it in a wood and he's sitting this boar. He's in it before she's in him, and he thought, oh, I just I'll get myself between her and the machine. That's the safest place to be. He hadn't realized was that she didn't give a shit about that machine. And she charged and so he kept moving. So he kept he kept going round the machine, and in the end he had to start running backwards. And as he's getting backwards, he looked behind him and there was there was a deer fence behind him. So he had nowhere to go. There's like hundreds of meters of deer fence behind him. But he's a boy. There was a strainer. So Mark is he's about the same ey as me, so He's not very tall, but he's stock. He mustly like a hook or a prop forward that side of thing. Anyway, he basically ran vertically up this post in a display of athleticism. I didn't think he was actually capable of and almost stood on top of it while she was there pulling the ground underneath him. And then she just sort of shook herself and ran off like she'd made the point. So I'm not sure i'd dropped down on the ball from the free.
Speaker 2: Literally face to face with a with an angry boar sounds it's terrifying.
Speaker 3: I've been chased a couple of times to open run fast, So is that the tactic? Like out and you don't die. I hope you're faster than the boar. I hope the boar gets bored before you run out of steam.
Speaker 1: Interesting, Calum and I are going to be down in the kind of vicinity within an hour? Review next week, next week, after next, isn't it?
Speaker 2: We're going to be what do we threaten to do? Take a picture outside their house and then leave? What was it?
Speaker 3: That's not my.
Speaker 2: Dress? As a boar and rabbage for his.
Speaker 3: You're not big enough to dress them? You have to both be in the same costume to make it even remotely the same size.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll be the front.
Speaker 1: Ah got there ahead of me, so yeah, we could stop in for a swift visit to the Forest of Dean. That although it's on my way home, it's not at all on the way home between Bristol and.
Speaker 2: Thresol, so it's possibly local.
Speaker 1: It is local. It is across on the other side of the River seven and the bridge and all of that, so you do have to go quite a long way. You have to briefly go into Wales.
Speaker 3: You could go in Gloucester and see at the go top of the river.
Speaker 1: I don't like it around there though. It's too close to Chukes brief for me and I might get flooded.
Speaker 3: Just keep driving.
Speaker 1: Do you ever just nip out to that really nice services near Gloucester? The new one?
Speaker 3: No, I know, the one you mean. I can't think it's cool now, the.
Speaker 1: One that's basically a hobbit hole.
Speaker 3: It's a south version of that wedding by Carlisle that is named Briefly Escape Me TV. I wanted to say tenB I knew I wasn't right. The one that does nice pies it's like the safe version of that.
Speaker 1: You know that the podcast has reached its highest point when we're now reminiscing about what's your favorite service station?
Speaker 2: I vote anyone with Bridge is always always like a service station for Bridge, something about it, like magic.
Speaker 1: Because it's got its own air traffic control tower for no reason whatsoever. I think it's Fulton. Write in and tell us if I'm correct.
Speaker 2: Oh what a day.
Speaker 3: This is what.
Speaker 1: We didn't actually find out what you've been doing? Callum? You know who you were with?
Speaker 3: What are.
Speaker 1: Yeah? Whose blood is that.
Speaker 2: It is? I think this is the second time I've been covered in blood this week.
Speaker 1: It's not been yours either time. However, No, So.
Speaker 2: Earlier in the week was of course, so I was at the cult face of conservation deermanaging. I was photographing, but I also get stuck in on occasions. This occasion was one of those occasions, and I covered myself in blood because we shot a red which is a lot of admin in terms of dragging and skinning and all of that jazz. So yeah, that was last week, and then this week and shooting Times piece about how important it is to shoot the roads and did that? Yeah, do you know I'm going to put the picture in the group, but I carried it out on my rucksack.
Speaker 1: Photography.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like an American. I've also got a portrait session tomorrow in in central London with a client that manages a hedge fund, and it's.
Speaker 1: An actual hedge fund, not just pissing around with Hazel like Richard does.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no stake in, no binding, like actual real money stuff. And I'm yeah, I'm doing that tomorrow. So I need to at some point wipe the blood off of all of my things so I can pretend to be a real human tomorrow, which is an interesting, interesting thing. Also, being covered in blood is bad because I don't currently have a washing machine because the kitchen has been ripped out something leaked ages ago and the insurance company is sorting it out, and my whole kitchen got ripped out and I don't have that was where the washing machine, So I don't have a washing machine. So for the past week I've just had blood soaked clothes with lots of people refusing to put them in their washing machine. Eventually, I believe somebody will crack and they'll be like, I'll take the blood soak clothes and I'll put them in the washing machine. Well, hopefully this is why you've got so many shirts.
Speaker 1: Isn't it.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I mean it does help. I need to I need to look like a smart boy tomorrow. So I'm gonna yeah, I'm going to have to do that my kitchen.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: So it's it's currently Tuesday. They we got told that somebody was coming to The whole thing has to be completely removed and they're going to rebuild it and put it back because they need to sort this damp issue from a leak that happened. The guy got an email, the builder. He got an email, and the email said, on Monday, come in with Tyler. Removed the kitchen. And that's that.
Speaker 1: It's Tyler, a profession or a name.
Speaker 2: Ah, this is where it gets interesting. So he happens to have a his niece that he works with is called Tyler. So they've removed the kitchen units and all the stuff, and the man comes and does that will Tyler is on a some kind of pneumatic drill thing, smashing all the tiles out of the floor. And it was only when he was halfway through that he read the email properly and realized that it was the following Monday that the Tyler and not his understudy Tyler, was to snatch up the floor. So there's floor tiles like, there's floor tiles the whole way to the back door that are like little shards of glass, And nobody was coming until yesterday. So I had a whole week of having to use a different door to get round the back just to let the dog for a week and essentially turned my whole kitchen into into like a danger zone because Tyler and Tyler got mixed up.
Speaker 1: How was this problem presented to you? Was it was it? Did he sort of have his hat his hat in his hands like an old Victorian?
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's been a mix up, mate, You see what's just happened there? Well, I thought it said Tyler, and it was actually the Tyler. Thankfully, Roger the Tyler is a good guy, and Tyler the other person, didn't do that much damage, but it could have been a lot worse. Thankfully, he didn't smash any of the floorboards underneath or anything. But you've done a good job. You got half of them up.
Speaker 1: So you're an eternal optimist, aren't you.
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think you have to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, there's some things are sent to test you, and there seems to be a lot of things at the moment that are working their forces. There'll be a stage in my life where something catastrophic will happen and I'll just be sitting there, just chill as anything, because you know, I've seen it all. You know, like those there are people that have seen horrendous things in war and then something something terrible presents itself in front of them and they just sort of slowly drag a cigarette and I'm like, yeah, it's nothing that that would be me. You're basically French now, then yeah, I need to start smoking.
Speaker 1: Can imagine you with a galois.
Speaker 2: More of a Rowley? Right?
Speaker 1: So, before we bring this incident of a show into land, Sorry, Nick, is there anything you'd like the public to think about, to know, or to just do after listening to this show?
Speaker 3: Well? Probably, I think that they're just going to have to reflect, aren't they, on what they've heard? And I don't know, I don't know. I have no words quite honestly, for.
Speaker 1: You're all here, you're all witness to this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm very rarely lost for words. This has done it.
Speaker 1: Shared trauma. I think It doesn't help by fact that whilst you're saying this, callum is picking his teeth with his business with his Lloyd's TSB business card.
Speaker 2: Number one bank for farmers is Lloyd's. Yeah, I agree, Dear God.
Speaker 1: Right after show now please bye