Speaker 1: Good morning, good morning, good morning. Welcome, welcome, welcome. It's time now for our community connection right here on K one, the one you and we've got our friends here from the Delaware Tribe of the Indians. Day and Devin, how are you doing.
Speaker 2: Bud fantastic? How are you well?
Speaker 1: I'm doing okie doke, but I understand we could get a whole lot.
Speaker 2: Weller, Yeah, no joke.
Speaker 1: You brought friends.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: So I've got Cody Blackman with me here, the wellness director for the Delaware Tribe.
Speaker 4: Are you doing, Cody doing all right? How about yourself?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, like I said, I could, I could be a little bit better on the well side. I'm going to be taking notes here today because I get the fil she's smart.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, and she knows a thing or two, especially whenever it comes to getting you fit.
Speaker 1: We'll tell us a little bit about what's going on with the wellness program.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 5: Well, Saturday, we will be having our first annual five K back to school bash.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a fun run walk.
Speaker 5: Also, it's for us that don't like to run, and we're gonna have a lot of activities and stuff for kids. Just make it fun before they have to go back to their nine to five just like we do.
Speaker 1: So it's kind of like a hey, let's go we before we let's go study. Yea, So this is gonna be a lot of fun. But then again, you get a lot of movement, you get a lot of exercise, and it looks like the weather's going to be a little bit a little bit more well better for all this because we're going to be in the eighties. Yeah, it's gonna be great.
Speaker 2: Beats one hundred degrees, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Anytime, anytime. So this is going to be a big to do. But what do we do on the regular here? As far as the wellness program? How available is it to the tribal members and to anybody else?
Speaker 5: All right, Delaware and Cherokee they are free to join. Other tribal is ten dollars a month and non tribal is twenty dollars a month. We're two dollars every time they want to come, and we don't do no contracts, so it's just pay as you go. Peyton, when you want to come, you can come.
Speaker 1: Wow, Yeah, I like that. You know, you have that wonderful facility down there on the Tuxedo. The East part of town right across kitty Corn from the fire station. That is a beautiful campus. How blessed are you?
Speaker 4: Very blessed? We we have a lot to offer the tribe.
Speaker 1: I understand that they've been expanding there in the wellness area. Yes, what's been going on, Well.
Speaker 4: Just a lot. There's a lot going on.
Speaker 5: We hopefully to be having a new facility in the next.
Speaker 4: Couple of years. I'll leave it at that. I don't want to get well.
Speaker 1: I understand where you yet to turn. Yeah, he kind of hit gave me the hint that.
Speaker 5: The Yeah, I am super stoked. I'm ready for some more room to offer more and bring a younger generation in also with our elders.
Speaker 4: And I think it'll be very helpful.
Speaker 5: I guess teaching people, you know that it's okay to be healthy. We grew up a lot of us in a generation where that wasn't taught.
Speaker 1: O what he even thought of it days it is all good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, vegetables, yeah, yeah, fried chicken, Yeah.
Speaker 1: All right, I'm in the room. That's my favorite thing of all. But I have to, you know, limit it to three times a week instead of every day. But you know the thing is is that wellness is basically a plan for life, yes, and long life is that.
Speaker 5: Yes, it's a lifestyle. You know a lot of people say I'm gonna go on a diet. You need to go for lifestyle change instead of a diet. A diet's easy to quit and you want to do a lifestyle change.
Speaker 1: I prove it.
Speaker 5: Yes, So yeah, it's it's nice to be able to.
Speaker 4: Share that with others and help others. I really enjoy that.
Speaker 1: And you've been with the tribe for a good long time in shop young man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when of our work there, I was a housing specialist, and you know, I've there's always stuff going on with the Delaware Tribe, and so now to be in this position, it's amazing to see, excuse me, it's amazing to see that nothing ever quits there, Like there's something always going on, plans in the works, and so I'm super thankful to still be a part of it and help them grow because like, for instance, to kind of get back into the back to school bash. You know, it's not easy to get up and show up to a place at seven thirty in the morning to go do a run, but at the end of it, you feel so much better and I think that's something that a lot of people forget, is that after you're done exercising or going through that that hard part, you get the relief and satisfaction of knowing that you put your best foot forward and your body responds to that, and something like this with the five K also the phone run as well. I'll be a part of that one because look, it's been a while since I've been running. But it gives people an opportunity in the community to be able to come together and do what's most important, which is take care of your body.
Speaker 2: So it'll be fun to see.
Speaker 1: Now with our big to do coming up on Saturday, do we register at the point or can we go online? Or how do we do this?
Speaker 4: You can go online. You can go to run sign up dot com.
Speaker 1: Run sign up dot com.
Speaker 4: Yes, and you can register there to Saturday morning.
Speaker 3: You'll get a free T shirt if you go online and sign up though, oh yes, that's important to know.
Speaker 1: On Yeah, good, Well, this is gonna be a lot of fun and you've got to probably see a lot of new faces, absolutely, and you know the area where you are, it's absolutely beautiful, folks. If you've never been by, please do and you know, the tribal headquarters is a very welcoming place. You've been putting together that cooling station here, Yes, over there, that's been getting little bit of work out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's been staying pretty steady.
Speaker 1: It's been pretty hot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it has been.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: They they offer a lot there and a lot for our community.
Speaker 4: And it's not just for tribal members either.
Speaker 5: We like to help anybody that we can in different departments. Now, different departments they offer different things. So yeah, they it's a good place to work.
Speaker 1: Now. You you were setted there for quite a while. Once you get inside the doors, there's a lot. There's a lot no going on, but it's actually kind of bigger on the inside and it looks on the outside.
Speaker 3: Every department I feel like has the number one. That's a never ending job because there's always something new that comes up or takes place, and so being able to make adjustments. I feel like it's a major part of what they do. And you know you were talking about cooling off. That is actually something that people will be able to do on Saturday because we're gonna have snow cones, bounce houses, dun't tank, so it'll be a great time. Not just run your heart out. You know, you can also relax and enjoy some time with your family.
Speaker 1: Very good. Anyway, it comes to the campus there, not only do you have your resources there too, don't you have a little place in there where can maybe spend a little money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that would be a great point for the Lenape Reserve.
Speaker 1: There you go and do a little run and do a little shopping.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you that place.
Speaker 3: We just had the Bartlesville radio station auction weeks ago, and everything that they put up, you know, sold like it was hotcakes. And I don't know, there's so many unique items down there. I personally love their hats h and also the shoes are are amazing.
Speaker 1: But either way they check out those those look pretty fly.
Speaker 3: It is like, and my thing is, I don't have much style, but I know if I wore those, you know, I can pull it off.
Speaker 1: Let's get back into wellness. You've got a website there. The companies are just about everything the tribe does. Do you do We have a special wellness section on the website.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there is bringing in here big time better wee.
Speaker 5: Right, Yeah, there is, and it breaks everything down, like what I just told you that, you know, non tribal and tribal, and uh, I do believe it has the cost on there, sure, but.
Speaker 1: When it comes to a day in and day out, I mean it's more than just a little bit of extra. So you said, it's a plan for for for being alive and enjoying life too, adopting a different lifestyle.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: People don't really realize how kind of easy that part can be. But once you get going for about two or three days, you're wondering, why was I doing that other stuff?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Because you feel yeah, yeah, you you you feel so much better instantly almost you change tweak, you know, just your diet a little bit, and you can see a difference, and you add a little you know, physical activity in there, and it'll start changing in your body.
Speaker 4: I have this posted in my office that.
Speaker 5: In four weeks you can change, you can feel a difference, and in six weeks other people can start telling that you've you know, changed something and you're doing something different.
Speaker 1: I keep them talking.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, but it is most definitely you find what fits you and what works best for you, because there's all kinds of stuff out there and just you know, the main thing is is be moving, get your cardio in, you know, get you in twenty minutes cardio every day at least if you don't want to lift weights or something like that.
Speaker 1: That is very important. I didn't realize that until I had become kind of sedentary at one point in my life. I've did an athlete hard to believe, but I was. And after a while, you know, I got kind of used to just kind of slowing down and I don't have to run two miles every day just because some coaches told me I got to run two miles every day something. I gotta run two miles every day? How do you like me? Now? And then you know all that stuff, and I went through all that kind of withdraw and then all of a sudden, you know, you go from one eighty to two twenty. It didn't take long. It's like, how did this happen? Right? In two miles a day? That was part of it. But the other part was I wasn't moving at all. You know, if I didn't, I was a bona fide certified and had papers on me. Test pilot for lazy Boy. Oh boy, I could comment here that that recliner like you never would think, but getting back into moving. My doctor had long talk with me. You know, you got to move. I said, well, how much? She said, as much as you possibly can without killing yourself, because the difference between being able to get in a chair and out of a chair is the difference as to whether or not you're going to be living at home or assisted living. And I'm starting to think, oh, well, it's that stark, and it is that stark. It is just if you can just walk around the block, you can do you know, a little this and a little that. Little like you said, little changes along the way can lead to bigger changes down the road.
Speaker 5: Yes, sir, a lot excited again, Yeah, well, as you should.
Speaker 4: You should be excited to feel better. Start small.
Speaker 5: A lot of people set goals that are unrealistic in the beginning and then they get discouraged.
Speaker 4: Start small and build your way up.
Speaker 5: Twenty minutes a day, like you said, walk around the block as long as you get your blood pumping and moving, which helps all your organs, and you'll just feel a lot better.
Speaker 1: And for all you folks who have a treadmill at home or one of those gazelle things, that's not for hanging your clothes, all right, right. Oh what, Yeah, it's got a different function. When it's too darn hot or too darn cold, those things come in handy.
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Sometimes it's just too dang dark and you didn't get it in. But those things they don't cost a whole lot. But if you've got one hanging around, and lord knows, most of us kind of do one way or another. Take the clothes off there, get the hangars off there, and get your fantany.
Speaker 4: On it for sure.
Speaker 1: Oh my, how can we find out more about what's going on? You got a Facebook page too?
Speaker 5: Yes, we have a Facebook page. It's on the Delaware Tribe of end Ends. And then there's a wellness face page and Facebook page, I guess face page, and then you can also go to the run sign up dot com and there's information there also.
Speaker 1: Saturday seven o'clock right, the five.
Speaker 5: K starts at seven point thirty and the fun run walk is at seven.
Speaker 1: Wonderful.
Speaker 4: Hey, thanks for being with us, absolutely, thanks for having me