Speaker 1: Greetings friends, and welcome to the podcast of Jewish Ideas a Torah in motion production i'm jj Kimrie. Over the last thousand years or so, much of the intellectual creativity of Jewish scholars has been spent writing on matters of Halachah or Jewish law. Oceans of ink have been spilled on the endeavors of explaining and expanding Jewish law, which continue unabated to this day. Halaric writing comes in various forms, and in the past centuries has been rather dominated in certain respects by two specific forms. One is halaric codes, in which the author lists the bottom line of the law as he sees it, whereas the other is halarchic responsor a lot truvat, in which the scholar seeks to apply the law to specific cases. These two genres represent two entirely different ways of analyzing, applying, and conceiving of Jewish law. And there's these fruitful differences between these genres that shall be capturing our attention today. With us to talk about these genres of halahi writing is him Seman, a professor of law and chair in Jewish Law at Villanova University as well as a dian on the bed Din of America. He has published widely on topics in both American and Jewish law, including his acclaimed work Halacha, the Rabbinic Idea of Law, published by Princeton University Press in twenty eighteen. It is a pleasure to welcome Professor Simon to the Podcast of Jewish Ideas today.
Speaker 2: Welcome sir, Thank you, thank you, jayj. It's great being with you. Although usually we have some scotch and charllt when we meet after Kiddish, during Kiddish after sure, but we'll make do today with the virtual interface.
Speaker 1: I agree. It's usually usually conversations are greatly improved by scotch and challenge, So today we'll have to have to see what we could do without it. So I'm interested in discussing these these two types of halakk writing. And so let's start a little bit with with halaki responsor, because I think they are slightly older, and just ask. I mean, firstly, how would one define halaki responsor slats of true VOTs? What exactly are they? When did they emerge? What are their principal characteristics? Give us a little of an overview of that.
Speaker 2: Sure, So as the as the name that we use shlotin shoe vote indicates they kind of can include anything in which somebody asks a rabbi a question and the rabbi provides an answer in truth. Already in the Gamarah there are examples shall right so so so in some sense the genre of shlotin shoe vote is already found in the Gamara, where questions are asked either and shallhoo sounds like they're sending some sort of writing, perhaps an oral message, hard to know, and they're getting a response back. But usually we don't think of something in the Gamara as prior to part of shaylatan chewe vote. So therefore the next phase or the gonme have have their own shayload to chew vote. Some of them are incredibly short. What does this word mean? Is one of my favorites right this. They're living in a world before Rashi, certainly before arts girl, so people would ask what does this word mean? Or what is this idea? And sometimes they are they are more complex. Over time, Shane Loan Tchubote has come to be identified more with sort of questions on concrete particular cases that have come up. Those could be cases that come up in real life those can be kind of hypotheticals that are thought about, but something with a specific set of parameters. There are shaylotan Chu votes from the ear of the reshow name and there she looked to vote from the era of the early afroyme and as you said, up to including to this day. So it's a very you know, it's it's a very it's a little bit of a catch off phrase because it could be, as I said, as it's come to mean a kind of specific and relatively kind of crete ALACKI question. But some of the older ones certainly aren't like that at all. They're literally things that people ask rabbis whatever they.
Speaker 1: Are, right, Okay, good, So now we've gone over that. And the truth is, as you mentioned before, it's it's one of the oldest poems I like writing we have, but of course continues very much to this day. It is arguably probably the most enduring vehicle of halak writing. Every year another volume, many more volumes are produced in this in this genre.
Speaker 2: Sure, and and this point of volumes I think I think is important. In other words, and maybe we could is that it's I think today when someone says I'm going to write Shaylo two. They know that they're going to publish them, and they're going to be in the collections. But certainly as we go back, it's not clear. And this is one of the big differences between the the genres. When someone writes alach code or alak commentary, right, they sort of know what they're doing, right, and you know, certainly at some point they understood that this would be disseminated and later published in print. Right. If you think of your own correspondence, right, you correspond by orally by text, by email, sometimes by email where you attach a PDF, right. And these are various layers of formality which are sort of like your assumptions about how much is this like an answer of the moment, like your wife says, hey, when are you coming home? And you say, you know, six point thirty, and then you know even if you may email it, but the fact that you may put it into a document in a PDF, like you're signaling that this is something kind of more permanent, more important. And those are a range of things, and I think Shout and Chubaut sort of work the same way, at least when they're produced. Right. Some of them are very quick and dirty things. Of that moment, and some it's very clear that the author understands that he is writing some thing for the ages. Sometimes whether it's for the ages or not is not understood until some ages have happened in past. I think as we move in time, people have a better sense of what they're going to do with them, at least the ones that are published. But any important Rabbi is going to have lots and lots of communications with you know, we'll call them his audience, right to varying degrees of formality. And therefore what shows up in a in a volume of de Vote and how it's published sort of you know, is a little bit sporadic, but changes our assumptions about what it is. Something clearented in a volume called Child to Vote we read as sort of being written for the ages, so it may not have been intended that way.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, thank you for that that brief overview, and I'm going to ask you to do the same for al codes. Explain what you mean by that again, what is the scope? What do they intend to do? And I suppose again that's sort of a brief history of when they arise and whether they're still being written.
Speaker 2: Sure, So let's start with the word codes. And as you mentioned, I'm a law professor and the law professor and me uses the term but doesn't love the term because to the modern ear, a code is something produced by some governing institution. Right, so we think of the you know, we're sitting here in the state of Pennsylvania or the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. It has a code. The United States has codes, et cetera. And what makes those authoritative is that the governing body is thought to be the sovereign in one sense or another that can produce those. In Halaha, it doesn't work that way. I don't know if the soun hedron ever published a code, but we don't have it. So the codes that we have, and I think maybe a better way to think about them as a word that lawyers use and non lawyers don't. It's called a restatement. We'll use codes. But what a restatement means is that somebody trying to restate what the law is, and therefore it's authority comes from people accepting it, as in the case of you vote. So they're not codes in that sense of the modern usage. In as long as the listeners understand that I'm happy to use the word so codes start with. I would say a certain type of problem is anyone who's learned Gamara knows that if you now want to make this massive work the basis of practice, gosh, that's very hard because there's so much going on in there, some of it relevant, some of it not relevant, some of it relevant to other parts that it needs to be pared down. And the earliest thing that's in the kind of code tradition this is called the most famous one of those is al Hote Alfassi, also known as the Riff Riff standing for Rebusk that Alfasi e fez right in North Africa, who basically what he does largely is he he has all imagine, he has all the talmlet on a computer and he largely uses his cut function. So he takes out all the kind of back and forth all of the ad a looted to the dress shownk and focuses more or less on the bottom line, occasionally adding in his own voice. Although the vast bulk of the text is simply the Gamar's text, it preserved as to what he understood was like normative binding Hallja Bismann Haase and this era in other words, in the post temple, post monarchy era of what we probably call goblut. In fact, if one takes the new editions, you know, printed in the last ten to fifteen years, they very usefully will highlight in when one looks in the riff the parts that are in his voice, which is a super useful feature. And you see it's not the majority of it at all, so that it's not the first. There were precursors to that, but that's sort of the first thing in that tradition. However, it is in the Gamar's language and in the Gamar's order, and therefore lack of order. The first thing we might call a code is of course the rambam, which is to some degree in some sense has not been surpassed. In some sense it has right. What the Rambam does, he does a couple of very important things. First of all, he creates his own structure in Taxonomy fourteen books, right, something that maybe you could say there's some reference to in the mission, but largely a thing of his own creation, and takes every alatan the talmud. And here he is following the riff, usually in the sense of which bits in the Talmud he thinks are normative and which opinions are. Except it's broader than the Riff because he covers everything the Gamar talks about the riffs if it's not applicable, Bisman hasaid, the Riff generally doesn't have it. The Rambam has everything. He also changes the language. It's not in the Talmudic language, but it's in something that's pretty close to modern Hebrew or close ish based on the shne Hebrew, and therefore it's an easy read to the modern reader. And he creates a conceptual structure for it to some degree to how he views a laha and to what he views as the mitzvote rita in each topic. So that's the Rombum. There's more to say. What he doesn't do is he doesn't retain any of them a cloak it, any of the various opinions that are found in the Gamara, and he largely does not pay attention to post Talmudic developments. I don't want to say never, but that's certainly not a feature of the Rombum. So you could think of it as what he says, he's trying to summarize the rules in the Tumul now it is ingenious. And you know, even today, if we have all the databases and all the ais and all the computers, it's it's it's mind boggling how we did this even with our technology, how Vahlmer with basically very very primitive technology. So it's it's truly a master work. And in some sense, nothing like this has really been attempted to that scale since obviously there's some asterisks to that point. That's Rombumb the next probably most famous code. There are others, but the one that really kind of takes up central space is known as the Arbaturim, written by yakovman Usher or the son of the Rush, and it is known today commonly as the Tour. The Tour is different from the Rhmbam in a few different ways. First of all, it doesn't have fourteen books, but four. And importantly, it only deals in this sense. It follows the Riff more closely in only dealing with those laws that are applicable in what we call bisman Haze right in this era or in the era that they lived in. So it does not have laws of the temple and laws of the sacrifices and laws of purity largely and even only a little bit of laws that applied to the land of Israel, because they're asserving they're living without it. Drop in there, but basically not. The Tour is also different in that he is he retains some debates, and he is much more interested in post Talmudic applications, so he will cite frequently from the toast Slot and the other reshow Neme that are talking not just what the law of the Talmud is, but how it became instantiated in practice in the various communities in which people lived. So the Rambomb is much more classical in the sense is much more driven by the Talmud, whereas the Tour begins to fill that gap, and he's writing at the end of the period of the reshiow Nme and largely collects not everything, but a lot of that material in there. The four sections I assume are fairly well known are highm right, which actually is an ingenious arrangements. It's three cycles. It's the cycle of the day starting with waking up, It's on the cycle of the week i e. Shabas and Aravin, and on the cycle of the year yaridaea, which is a little bit more of a grab bag is largely kosher, and then other ritual laws evan As is about marriage, family and divorce law and closi mishbud is, you know, procedure and substance of the civil law, and the sort of halachic court system. That is the tour. That and then after that comes the Shokanauch, which has an interesting sort of story because the Lano basically adopts the tour's structure. So his four main books and the chapter divisions in between them are taken from from the tour. Now the is written BYO raviosv. Cairo, who really begins by writing a Betjo Seth right, his sort of encyclopedic compendium slash commentary written as a commentary on the tour. And if we had the bay, if we had Joseph Cairo here on the podcast, he would say, that is my work. That is how be remembered, That is my by it right, that is my estate. I think people trys to his house, but if you look at how he writes it, I think like, sort of the estate of your states is probably the way I would say it. Then later on he said, you know what, that's a very long and complicated work let me try to summarize the main points from it. And he did that, and he called the shikhanaruch like I'm sending the table for you. This is the kind of head notes of it. And that's the way it reads. But you know, whatever revosif Cairo intended history had it, or Hashkeetha had it, maybe those are the same thing that that became the work that we call colloquially the code of Jewish law. And therefore that then becomes, since that's published with the commentary of the Rama, which we'll come back to in a second, that becomes the main sort of framework of apply Jewish law really to this day. We might talk about more contemporary innovations in a second. Just a word on the Rama. So Ravos if Cairo is from the Spardik tradition and was largely very influenced by the Rambam and is somewhat less influenced by the ballets vote and the Ashkenazic tradition. The Rama who's re of motion is who lives in the crackout at roughly the same time that Ragulosa Kiro was writing in Spot sees this work and then adds his own glosses to it, reflecting more of the Ashagnasok school of thought, and many scholars say that the success of this work is precisely because it combines both of these, and basically since the very first printing of the bait of the Schoharu, which was just him, from the second printing on it has always been published with the Hagota rama, the commentary or the editions of the rama, and together those are sort of known as the shukan.
Speaker 1: Right, and so those are as you outlined it with admirable sucinctness. I think the three major ones have there been codes ever since because one could argue possibly, but since the shukar there is only commentary. Is that is that plausible?
Speaker 2: So I would say yes, and no, you know, there's one could say that. And really the tour they sort of have to be taken together because structure they basically displaced the Rambam. So, you know, I think as a artistic manner, the rambum is a superior work. It's conceptually organized, language is clear and beautiful, it's an ingenious structure. But basically the while the Rambam as his Halakic sock, becomes super important. His wave of organizing and conceptualizing Halaha. Doesn't that really belongs to to the tour? And then I would like to say the tour because I think he gets short terped He came up with the structure. Others built on it in part because the rama deals with everything and the tour really deals only with practice Tamaha. Now, since then, as you said, there's there's then in the generations after, there's waves of commentaries on it, some written directly as commentaries in terms of new codifications. The one that I think everyone would point to Isan and one will notice the wordplay there, which doesn't cover every single thing, but most of it. And it's a sort of assimilative commentary code. In other words, it's written with the same chapter headings and as the Shokhan Ruch, and it tries to kind of retell the Sugia if it starts with Pukim from Sukim, if it starts from the Gamar from the Gamara, and kind of fold in all the various kind of commentaries that have come on along the way. It's very influential because it's very well written. The other famous one is only on Orsiam is the Mission of Brewer, which you know, takes a large space, particularly on issues that it relates to. But it, as you noted, is really written as a commentary on the Shokran Ruhe, although you know, it's a little bit of its own thing, but at least that's the way it's graphically written, and that's the way it's meant to be read. It is it is on the Chican roof. You know. In more recent times, certainly certain areas of Alaha, particularly areas that are not well covered in the Chokan, have seen various kind of codes and treatments to them, but none have reached the sort of level of the ubiquitous uh both popularity and authority as the as the But for example, I have on on matters of hoshin Mishbat, there's a ten volume treatise called Pitre Fochen or Peture Fosian, written by a rabbi who lived in New Shilaim in the latter half of the twentieth century, which for anyone involved in that world is very influential. One's doing Arevin or Micava, door Trumant de Mastro. You know, there's there's there's various sort of areas, specific things that have become very important. But in terms of this sort of monumental thing that everyone understands the code, I think it remains with the Chikan. I would say one fairly interesting and new development is Rabbail Lazar Malhammad in Israel has been writing a series of books called nine Hawaja, which is a kind of modern recasting and has become very very popular in sort of the datilu me community in in Israel, and of course hasn't replaces, but I think it might be replacing the mission of Brewer. It's more modern Hebrew, it's it has also theological framework to it, finishing work that's worth study itself. So that's sort of the way I see the lay of the land at the moment.
Speaker 1: Okay, fair enough, Now let's uh, I do to ask a little bit more about codes. But before I do, I mean the sort of I think crux the central question I really want to ask here is, you know, what are the advantages or disadvantags of writing in these two genres, because in some senses, of course, they are opposite. And I'll let you elaborate on that, but sort of what can one do in a code that one can't do in response and vice?
Speaker 2: Vice?
Speaker 1: And what would push one to write or read or adopt a code like a way of writing halaa? What would push one towards a responsor manner of writing and reading an application of halaca?
Speaker 2: Sure, so let me start not in the Halaki tradition, but in the Western tradition. So the common law, which is the system that is from England and this sort of the basis of American, Canadian, Australian and all the English speaking law, has a very different view on this from from the systems emerging in continental Europe, which typically called the Romanist systems. The common law believes that that that really it's the reality of a case with its specific facts and the pressures of coming to a determination that sort of produces the ideal law right, and it's only and that law must be forged within the context of a decision that will be actuated, that has that is sort of coming from a particular case. And sometimes it's called law in action, or at least it tells that way, and it is a little bit suspicious of more academic projects what it calls law in the books that are sort of dealing with sort of abstract principles but not forged within the sort of reality or the you know, the potentiality of being effectuated the Roman in this systems. Think the opposite is that the only way to do this right is to step back and have a plan and have your concepts, and have that kind of carry through each and every bit of the law creating or law writing enterprise, and that every specific case is too tied to the quirks of its facts or any kind of particular things that come up there, or any pressures of the moment or any exigencies to trust it. And also so that is again that we have not talked about Jewish law yet. But this is kind of like there are two broadly speaking, and I'm a little over dramatizing, but there are kind of two schools of thought about this, and I think you see these reflected in the Halachic literature as well. If we start with the round bomb, right, if you want to kind of give you a map of what is Halatha, the only way to do that is to write a book where you know what you're doing at the outset and you understand the plan, and the round bomb is the master planner. Right. You have your divisions, you have your conceptual categories, you start each book and then each chapter and then each halaca with an idea of where it's going and how it goes right, and that gives you that overview. In addition, as we said, when you're writing a book, you know you're going to publish it, you know what you're doing with it. Right by contrast, right, if we're going to take that perspective, as we all know, sometimes you know, rabbis have to answer questions really quickly. They kind of give an answer, am I saying that this is an answer that like for generations is quote the halacha or am I like just answering a question here and now if one reads the true of literature, you'll see last of ways, I'm in a hurry, I don't have time, I don't have access to all my books. You know, these sort of catchphrases repeat throughout, So that would be sort of you know, the sort of why the codes are the actual halaka and an idea of that like look, you know and I get it too. This in my book a little bit like the true halacha is these like more abstract principles and ideals that are stated generally. And we shouldn't confuse that with like specific applays that are always attentive to the moment. Revlustenstein has this effer sing what he calls stock and Sika. Right. So, SOACA is the sort of the enduring halak An efficiency is a localized application. And you could take the opposite view that no, exactly, it's that when all those pressures of both what the sources say, and there's a critique would be that it's too classical, it's too source driven, it's too driven by the kind of abstractions and not about real life. And that really when you want to see when all the pressures come together and precisely within those contingencies, within those places, because that's where life happens. That how that emerges from there is the sort of the more authentic products or the sort of better way to understand how the system works. Again, this debate exists outside of Alosa and exists within Alaha. Right.
Speaker 1: And and do you think that the mapping of this difference between common law or case law and let's say Roman or constitutional law havings that you want to put it? Does this how accurately does this map on to the code's response issue within Jewish law?
Speaker 2: I think it maps on to some degree. The codes also tend to be what I would call they're quite classical in the sense of their their they're responding to the tamuk sugia and the way that that is organized. Right, this is certainly true of the rambamb. It's true in the tours, slightly less true, but they're too so in other words, what cases they're talking about, right, what are their examples, what are their paradigms? Are a function of the mission and the talmud to some degree, and then some of the commentary of the reshowing that becomes standard. You'll see in the tour, for instance, it's very clear he'll always start with like the mission and then the gamar, and then occasionally he'll say certain things came up in a certain to vote right. This is another point that they also intermix. So the rush, his father is one of the well known uh meshivin of his era and especially in holocient Mish. But he'll Evanezer, he'll bring a lot of stuff from the rush and the rush, but in various things, right, But those will be at the end and they'll be sort of like there, and then that'll kind of feed into itself, which will often kind of retain this structure. So therefore, you know, what they're less responsive to is like what's happening in the world. Okay, but you know, to take the example anyone who's studied babakama with a kid, but we don't have oxen, but all the examples there have oxen, right, and then like that's or boor or ash. In other words, the codes tend because they are they're assimilating talmudic information in the way they're mapping the sudiya based on how they see the tama. They tend to be very classical, where a chuva is going to start with the facts that happen in the world, in our world or the world of the writer, and then say, okay, now let me go and see which are the relevant sudio that to bring in here. So you have that process of translating both the language and the conceptual architecture of the classical sources into the real world in which the the may sheave is operating in.
Speaker 1: Right, And it seems, at least from an immediate look, that one can one can apply quite a bit more creativity or wiggle room within a response that than one can in a code. I mean, is that the case? And secondly, you know, is that simply a function of the way that genre is exists.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so let's let's let's talk about I think the I think the CEO in different ways. The one let's remember that what we call the essay, right, is not a known genre of as you said, I think you said this in the outside. There's basically three genres of classical There is commentary rashi post quote right, usually following the order of the Talmudic trac date. There are these codes, and then commentaries on the codes, and then there's a chew vote the response. The response is the most open ended of those. So, in other words, if one wants to publish a Halakic essay right, so today already you can write an article and publish it in a Halakic journal. But that's a fairly new sort of thing. It's really the chuva is the vehicle for that. So in that sense, it's the most flexible form. You don't have to pretend that it's a commentary on something. You could just say, here's what I want to say. Now, there's a history to this too. If you think of the names, and you know, if we think let's say that you vote of the rishi name, right, they're called the Chuvashirashba, the Chuvashi rush, et cetera. In other words, these people are known as typically tumudic commentators or codifiers or quasi codifiers. And then we also have their tew vote. They're on uh. I think a little bit later, the very famous ones, the Hahamsi, the no Huda, that's tm Sofer, the Massa bin Yemen. Those are the names of the Chubas farm, the Sagotari, right, and we know them by by dint of their Tubas farm. And then oh, they also wrote these these other things. And part of what's happening there, I think is that I think this has to probably do with printing and with other developments, is that the tuba can now become the primary vehicle through which a rabbinic author is no and they're right, they become to some degree essays on halahik topics, whether the questions were asked to them or whether they ask themselves the questions and things like that. So I do think that in that sense it's a more flexible form which allows for greater creativity, greater literary flair, right, there's often they start with kind of poems and things like that, things that in a code and in so much more mode of discourse. In other words, yes, there are shacks that run for three pages, but basically they're very tight and focused on what the specific thing. So think of this as as your way to do an essay. If you're a binic writer, you're going to use the tube of form. The other thing is, and this is you know, something that in legal philosophy we talk about about is that the very active ap application two concrete facts is what generates kind of creativity. Right, So I always say, if one looks at the laws of bore and ash hit and fire liability in the rob bumb and then a couple hundred years later in the Chanch, they're basically the same. And what that tells you is those were not applied, those are not applied them. Therefore they it's just basically copy paste. By contrast, if one looks at he'll hoach star rote or he'll hotel vote debts, negotiated instruments, of which in the ear of reshowing them, there's tremendous creativity. The world of the tour look completely different than the realbum. So the act of applying law two concrete situations changes it and molds it and modifies it. And in that sense, I think that is at least the first cut is done in chew vote. Later chew vote may become part of the kind of canonized law. Right. Like we said, the tour contains a number of chew vote of the rush, the shah schite site, chew vote, et cetera. And there's this interesting interplay of how these different genres commentary code and Cuba influence and impact each other. I see.
Speaker 1: I mean focusing back on the codes for a moment. You claim something quite interesting in your work, which is that that the code, the Halai code, at least can never fully achieve its purpose. And that struck me as a very interesting and thought provoking claim. Could you elaborate on that for us? What is it about the laha that frustra rates the composition or the ultimate aim of a composition of a low code?
Speaker 2: Sure, so let's start with that. Lasting if you think, and there's an if here, that the point here is to tell you clear and unequivocal rules, right, So, I think there's a few things going on, some relevant to Halaha specifically, and some possibly found in various forms in all legal systems. So one of the themes of my book is the idea of Tamutah right, that the study of Torah is its own goal, right, it's its own self standing, self justifying practice, and that anyone who is sort of known as a alahk authority sort of subscribes to some version of this idea. Okay, there were different in different times, in different eras Ashkin aspired, etc. But something like that, and therefore very different than any other legal system in which the production of law its goal is ultimately to regulate the social and political sphere. In Halaha, because of this idea of tomatoa that is so central to the rabbis of the Tumutin exerts a tremendous influence on everyone after. Is that no, there are what we'll call spiritual purposes in the study of law. Now again, these change over time and in different places, they're not consistent, but that idea is there, and therefore I think that you even I would say not it's not that these what the codes are, but they even in the codes which in sum sets are trying to just get to the bottom line. But the authors also have another investment, the investment in Thura study in explicating the Tamudik studia. In other words, that instinct of Tubdi commentary is there too. And therefore I think one of the reasons that it fails, so to speak, is because there are While there are some works that really do try to just tell you the rules, inevitably the commentaries are going to say, oh, but what about this talmudic ciay, what about this tostboon, and what about this other thing? And they'll they'll they'll just kind of re enter it into that toal munic dialogue. Perhaps the most dramatic example of this is not in the In the Rambam, the ram Bumb says that he's trying to end the kind of need to consult the talmad, and therefore presents its very clean. It's long, but it's sort of given where it's coming from, it's ultimately short compared to the tamud tight text. The he says, now you could just look at this and know the rules, and you don't need to do that. You don't need to work your way through the tamad. And as you know, almost immediately when that starts happening. People then write commentaries and they basically start reintegrating the rambamb into the Tummunk discussion, so much so that in the nineteenth century and the Brisker school, the ram bumb was, you know, the kind of source material from which they did the exact opposite of what he intended. They they made it the basis of their very analytical and very creative but very not bottom line discussions, right, And I think like the fact that they're at checking the ram bomb are there are reasons for that, but it's one cannot but laugh that it basically turned what the rama was trying to do inside out. I think with it's less dramatic. But if we think it's some of the main commentaries again learned in Yeshivai, So so it's a hot the the Cebos, to some degree, the Shah, they are all involved in this process of sort of expanding the Talmudic dialogue outwards. Now there's also commentaries that go the other way, but but there's that push and pull between those and therefore to some degree, the codes themselves. And if you look at just the page of the standard Skan's it's it's literally dizzy. So's so that you know, about twenty years ago, thirty years ago they started reprinting it to make it a little more and it just became another focus of tourist study with a slightly different entry point at the same time having this other goal of the bottom line rules. Now, I think that that's true of the Mishtah, that's true of the tumud that started through all the way down this right right book. That's one of the central tensions within the Holarism as a whole is that we use the same body of materials to do different things with it. And I think the literature reflects that that is something you don't really have in other systems. Now, I think in other since you do have this that you know, as soon as something becomes codified, there's always wrinkles to it, there's always new developments that that sort of complicated and that you have everywhere. The Marshall in the sixteenth century gave a kabbalistic sort of reason for this is drawing on earlier sources, but he's criticizing the then Code of Fying movement, and he says he says it's sort of about the nature of ala has the encounter between the infinite God and the finite man, and it is not something reducible to a finite code, is one of his claims, right, So he says, it cuts to the very nature of what Halifa is as a meeting between an infinite mind and a finite mind, and the finite mind is going to try to kind of limit it to some code, and it's never going to work because there's always more there.
Speaker 1: And the little bit ask a slight procketive question about that, which is that is that necessarily the case? In other words, could you imagine, even in theory, the construction of such a detailed or such a such a flawless code that no further commentary would be possible or necessary or meaning. And thords the enormous amount of commentary that has been precipitated by the rama by others, one could say that's because either there were you know, in some area's lack of clarity, or questions that arose, perhaps internal inconsistencies, or you know, any of the things that would spur on commentary if somehow a supercomputer were to create a perfect code. I mean, it's such a thing possible at all? Or are you saying no. The very nature of the system demands extra writing for me. I know this is a rather upset question, but one that's fun to think about it.
Speaker 2: Well, it's not so so I think there's a few things going on here. So first of all, I think I think the Marshall in his way is asking your question saying no, it's about the essence amount. I do think another point has to do with finality, in other words, and how you view sort of what is the ultimate Alachic authority, because we tend to say that the Talmud retains precedence even after the rambamb and even after the and even after the mission of Burua, right, ultimately, if you can resort back to the talmudik sugia right, which is written in anything but a linear, clear sense. So therefore that's always out there. And while it's true that we say we possibly like X, but why but not why? But then a new case comes up and they say, yes, we possibly like X, but limited to cases one, two and three, not the four or five and six we do. Now we've got to go back to the TOMUDXU. Yeah, I just describe basically howevery you know, this isn't super common. Right, so that even when we accept the authority of the shukanaru, much of the interpretive process saying I, yes, but that was here, not here, and my proof is this, Tommy Dixu. Yeah, and then we're back off to the races. So I think it would be more possible in let's say, a modern system which once the court, the High court says this is what it is. I don't want to say that solves all questions, but that then cuts off at least certain avenues. One of the things that is typical of halakha is that we never, at least in certain traditions, right, certainly in the sort of traditions that comes from the you know, Lithuanian yeshibas, we never cut ourselves off from the tamudxu. Yeah. This goes back to discussions and astized and because that's always available, and because the tumatif any is anything but univocal, I think you cannot escape it. And again I said before also, I think that people who write these things are living in a world where Taurus study has this sort of mayan haabet or the overflowing stream nature to it, and to under we are attracted to that now, I think there are schools of thoughts, typically to be more spartic, that tend to be more bottom line rules. Here's what they are. We can reduce them to this. But then stuff comes up, and then but that's not exactly consistent here, it's not consistent here. Wait a minute, there's this new idea or that maybe only covers this case, and then we're back to this sort of diological Talmudic process with maybe our starting point not the Talmud but different code provisions or different sections in the commentaries. But analytically it's that process. So I think the answer is no. One can give a metaphysical account. One could say it's no for all legal systems, but it's certainly in Alaha because of the lack of definitive finale. There's no governing body. It's just a kind of consensus that emerges over time, so there's always going to be gaps and being able to resort backward, and then you're back into the the analytic discussions, right. I see.
Speaker 1: And I want to drill a little bit on one element that we've been touching on, which is the role of the commentaries on the codes, because this is interesting because of course these individuals are not themselves involved in writing codes, but they are, and but they do have to certainly play a role in the development and dissemination of the code itself. So you know, certainly one possible functions you mentioned the kind of brisk approach approach to reading the Ramba on others, is to almost reverse engineer the thinking process that goes into the writing the code, because of course the code almost by definition is quite sparse, you know, sparing in its in as these and elaborasm show it's working as it were, and therefore it's an exercise for the code to kind of crack that open. What else are the nose aklim the great commentaries on the major codes, What else are they doing and in what in what way do they I don't know, do they bring the code closer to other genres such as responso or commentary or other other forms for lack of writing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely so. So first let's just start with this word. So this is really and I recently had to write something in English and you realize that there's no equivalent in in the in the Anglo American system to this idea of no say kleen right, So literally, they if we translate the word they are arms bearers right now. It's interesting to think about this phrase because I think it even changes over time. What is an arms bearer?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean the biblical sense, it's quite literal. It is someone who you know, goes into battle with someone as their second or as the person who holds their their weaponry. And probably you know. I imagine the closest modern analogy I can think of as a golf caddy, And that's.
Speaker 2: Exactly what I say, I caddy, right, the caddy. Now, so that way, the caddy is like on your team, he's helping you, right, But over time that turns to be no say kalim. They're doing battle with you, right. In other words, And I think that this idea of the no say kilem starts as they're going to help you make your arguments, right, but immediately then they also are battling you. So it's interesting that there's no such when when I have to describe this to people don't know Jewish law, I cannot rest on anything that is known, even to a lawyer, because such a literature doesn't really exist. You can write your own book, you can attack that, right, but you but this idea that you're you're both a commentary that's supportive but also undermining the sort of finality of the text of the code is sort of unique, at least within the legal world I'm aware of. So this no say kilem, and it's most dramatic on the Shukan uh because it's printed they have you in the in the in the nineteenth century when they were the various publishing houses sort of each try to outdo each other by how many commentaries they have, which which makes the page very very difficult to the uninitiated to summat for voting. But we can sort of categorize them into different functions. So some we can maybe start at the extreme. Some really bring it back to the Talmudic dialogue and are not super interested in what the bottom line rule is, but are using the shukanas. Okay, he said, this is a principle. Let's test it here. Let's see right, So that would be the soat this under the shah uh, are are are on that extreme. At the other extreme, you have people who will then bring the Chuva literature and maybe we should talk about organ maybe we'll make sure we talk about organization, uh. And they say okay. These are the cheu vote that speak on the topic that is the subject matter of the code. Section of the Piskechuva and the dark Chuva are famous for this, and in other words, that is how you'll connect the Charlotte tan Chubat literature to what's going on in the Shahan roof. And then you could think of most other ones being somewhere in between of explicating qualifying, right, the sma the shot. They're constantly qualifying the hukan roos, oh, yes he said this, but here, and typically point to another place where, well, you see, there's some tension between them. So there's a lot of lawmaking that goes on in these codes as they refine and define what's going on, whether it's between the ramada chi or contradictions or just new stuff that comes up. So it's interesting because in some ways they would never say. Very the early early layer is willing to outright disagree with the shoch ama. Later on they become much less so, but they disagree by qualifying and saying oh only here, but not here, or introducing a new series of distinctions, very much the way that the talma does to the mischilon or you showed them due to the talma, and that's why I see this as very much a part of the same process. So right, when we refer today, when someone says chokin, they typically don't mean the language of Joseph Caro. They mean yang the jose kiro plus rama plus at least some of the canonical commentaries, and you can argue which ones are. So we really say, you'll see sometimes abbreviated venose kalem shan meaning the whole kind of web of literature which you know to a story, and is somewhat maddening because we're referred to this book, but we really mean the book is printed and received, not the words of any any specific person. I do want to say a word about organization, because I think this matters a lot. Perhaps the greatest success of the shokranuch is that it became the way we conceptualize alaka certainly practice alaka. And this way, though the Rambam system is more can comprehensive and more elegant. I think that the chikan wins the day. And then what starts having is that you will see works of cheu vote are organized according to the section of shokhan. Right because One of the main problems with you vote is they have no natural order, right. I mean you could have like the order that they were written in, but that's not super helpful, right, So part the big the big downside of chew vote. We talked before about their analytic character, but just as practice, how do you find them? How do you know if something is relevant to what you're working on? So every once in a while you'll have a gono vilna or vaduo sense it just like knows everything, okay, But if you're not that, how do you find them? So today we have computers and things like that, but in the inter interstitial period, what we see is that the code chapters then become like the sort of headings of halaka, so we know, oh, this is Simon Sanivov okay, and therefore the true vote will be written or published I should say not written published in in a way of like the rough order of the Shokanara. Now, of course, chew bote can draw from many different places, so sometimes they have to be split in parsed, and therefore indexes in the back of chew vote, and sometimes even the way they're organized are in accordance with the orders. So if you to me, one of the most enduring influences of this is beyond what the Schardrok paskins, is that it's the way we now frame and think of Halakha. So and therefore you see this as I said both earlier, people like the Shakh will already start quoting chew Vote, but then like the dark tube of the Pistley Cuba on the page citing chew Vote, and then Chewbote themselves become published. I think the most interesting example is the bach who's one of the commentaries on the tour. The first edition is published in a fairly random way, and then they republish it scramble the order, so now it matches the order of Schuchhan. What's super interesting is that in modern times rofessal Weis's Chubas have this, but he's not the only one. They will publish them in the order of the four volumes of Chukhrana Ruche and then a fifth one Lakah who are medicine. So they're saying that, I say, like, what you see is like this like fifth value should earth sort of happening before our eyes because people realize there's no great place to put this kind of its own thing and not really reflected. So I think it's very interesting. It'd be a great practice. Who's the first to publish it this way? But so to me, it's interesting even when you're deviating Falk, you're still using that as as the structure.
Speaker 1: Okay, there's much to say that I want to drive us a little bit in love direction because time is running a little bit short, which is similar to what you're seeing before. There is of course yet another genre of I like writing, which we haven't really mentioned thus far so much, which is we continued attempt at talbuted commentary, and in fact, even some of the great writers of codes or of response and many of them are also at the same time providing commentaries on the talmud itself, which seeks to explain, perhaps apply, perhap perhaps you know, make update or make relevant, sudden secure certain discussions of the talbut and that exists side by side with these other genres like writing, And I guess my question is, you know, to what extent do they interrelate? And are these talmulive commentaries, so to speak, better friends of the writing of responsor or better friends of writing of codes? And how does it fit into this, this rather this constructed kind of opposition between the response and the code.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I would say, I'm not sure everyone would agree with this, but you know a lot of people.
Speaker 1: Why else would we have you on? Please, If you're going to say something I would agree on, then I would.
Speaker 2: Say that that kind of page by page chamudic commentary is something very very dominant in the Reshow name and maybe the earlier name, and has largely leveled off. In other words, it's hard to think they exist, but it's hard to think of an influentyal page by page commentary on the Talmud of the last one hundred or two hundred years. Now someone's going to say, what about this, And I'm sure there's one there, right, But like if we think of them, obviously Rashi Tosos, you know, the Rashon, sard rambamb Rashba Ron, etc. Son others, they exist and they're still I'm sure you could go to a sparm shop and find a fairly new thing on Bubba atsierb of a Comma or something like that. But largely the in the modern era, I think it's been codes and response that have been and then like sort of various rabbinic essays that have been more more influential than kind of daff bay daf commentary. Now, what has happened is, as they said, I mentioned this word a few times. I think what has emerged, let's say, is the idea of the essay or article on a topic, right, something that you don't really have in the earlier writings. In other words, the ram Band's Cuntristadina de Garmi is exceptional because it's one of the only examples of in the year of the reshown in of someone saying I'm going to write on this topic and try to cover it in some sort of introduction, thesis, conclusion. Right. In general, I would say rabbinic writing doesn't have that structure. It's really hard to think. And I'll say something that is a little provocative. What is the that there's not many Hoboutic books and you're gonna say, what are you talking about it? Walking Indy based mentors. There's a gagillion of them, And by book I mean a thing on a single topic that has a thesis that is pursued from beginning to end. This is a monograph exactly. There aren't many more recently sure in the last to say, hundred years, you see more of these, but but there really aren't many. So the monograph we've been talking about genres and also worth thinking what genres don't exist, And I think therefore the word commentary does a lot more work there in the same way the gomar is quote commentary on the MISSIONA. I mean yes and no right, and the same is true right, so and therefore the and we're talking and the chew vote wind up doing this. But I saying more recent thing is the sort of article and or the book where you can take a topic and kind of pursue it consistently. I think one of the first maybe the on m you could count them, but I think the shim and schup Shario share. There's some predecessors to ship Schmid, but in others it's pretty thin in that sense. So I think today the type of person who would have written a page by page to munic commentary is more likely to write sort of essays or maybe a book on a given topic. It's more fitting with the way that we write today and that we think today. And therefore I think that that genre is while I agree it's been continuing, but it's not. It's hard to think of very influential page by page commentaries since the kind of midachronin. Maybe the ark Lanaire is. But again you can't compare that to the earlier ones. For example, him his chewbot Binanci and is the alcavette linger I think are more influential than his tem me to commentary routhlynaire now where if it's in certainly of the reshown him, it's just considered primary loss. So in other words, that fits you know, what the past leots say, fits into codes all over the place, and fits into response all over the place as we move on somewhat less.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, fair enough? It is interesting to note the influx of of the the optic, let's say, of the phenomen of the Halak monograph and Hala essay and really honestly the Hallakic footnotes. There's also something that did not exist much in previous centuries. But I suppose you know, has you know, writing has taken on the track.
Speaker 2: I think I think the missioner Brewer, I don't want to say the first, but the mission brewer writes footnotes on the missioner burah right. In other words, he might be his missioner. Burgh is itself some sort of footnote slash commentary, right, But then the shared Sea, and he has like footnotes on his text. But yes, this idea, this modern way of writing of text and footnotes and things, which is now you know, you could find certainly in the Monera sex world. I think when we were in the Hibi world. This is a fairly new phenomenon. But by the way I think this is I wrote in my book, I think this goes all the way back. In other words, if we go to before the world of Hazal, it take us to the first century. So we know of Joe Ciphis, and we know of Filo, who write what we would call monographs. Right they write one person writing in their own voice about a topic that is definable. And then once you get to Razal, they don't do that. First of all, they don't write, by which I mean like a written product. It's all tbalpe. We should remember that though we engage to pe as books, that's not the way haza did. It's all about Peh and all the collections. Mishna Medrisha, Medrisha, Gada Damarabavla Murisli are collections of inter multi generational works that don't have a very clear structure and conceptual structure. And that goes all the way from the earliest hazal until you get to the own meme that begin to kind of write a single people in their own voice. You know, there writes some essays pias is mecha memcar and commercial ar shar go, and you know, then you begin to have it. But I think it's I think part of what's driving this is, you know, not only Talmud Tara in the idea that to study, but also the form that tore study has taken for Hazau, I think bears a huge influence on everything after.
Speaker 1: Right, okay, and and let me let me move a little bit into sort of an analysis of these of these different codes, sorry, the genres, codes and response as it pertains to the education of rabbis or you know, the syllabi in Yeshivat and other and lot of those places. And you know, it is very interesting to think about that. You know, there is quite a clear prioritization where you have the talm wood and its commentaries as the major aspect, and then a kind of distant second is the learning of the codes and their commentaries and then are really really distant. Third is the study of responsor, which comes which is very infrequent, let's say, in your average tumbletic training and general training, which most rabbi still to this day undergo. And the question that becomes, firstly, why is this the case? And secondly, I mean is this wise? I mean do we ought there be a reconsideration, recalibration of the educational focus of some of these places.
Speaker 2: Sure, so what you're saying is certainly true of the tradition that emerges from Valajen, which has a huge influence on yeshivas of all stripes today, and that, like you said, the subject matter is still a famitic masecta and it's main reshowname and you might look at the schuch to see what he does with it, or particularly if there's a well known shock or exos and you kind of gotta find your way in there. But that's not what you're focused on. And that is certainly true for the way we you know, when you're young, we learn the gamura itself. As you go on, you learned the gamara shown him, and that's what it means to understand the sud yeah, so I think that's very much driven by how the talmat itself works and by this idea that talmut toa again to me this kind of say, because that is sort of its ideal form. Now. Of course, when you go to study Smicha, which is typically after several years of this, you will change your focus to the shukan uh and the things around it. And depending on where and how you studied it, how much are you really going back to the talmud and working down or how much are you starting from these kind of codes and working forward. But you're certainly right that in the classical is Shiva chuvote are almost non existent. I can speculate that this is part of the ideology that, in other words, that very much comes from a legions. There's the pure Tora and the pure Toa is in the Gemara and the chu vote are kind of already sullied by the complexities of human interaction in the world, and I think the g Sevagic says things in this direction. I'm not sure you would say it quite in the way I'm saying now, but I think he's reflecting this sort of idea as one moves to Smicha in more practical things. There is definitely more emphasis on these later works on more modern questions, and of course don't come up in the kamara. You know, certainly, if you're studying castus, you got to know how factories work and all these sorts of things. And you know that stuff is obviously in the in the much more contemporary literature. And you know, in my in my job or part of my job of interviewing various day anin you know, rabbinical court judges, and they will all say that at some point they had to start learning again. In other words, they learned in yeshiva in this classic way, and then when they decided to try to, you know, go to the day a new track to be a sort of practicing a diane they basically sort of they'll have this story where they like start over and now I got to learn to learn again and learn differently, which is always interesting. But of course you don't get selected into a dianute program unless you're really good at doing the other thing. And I would say, sitting on these cases in my other job, you can see the influence of this that some of them are very classical and and you know, are very wedded to how this is kind of constructed in Yeshiva and less so into sort of okay, what are we actually going to do here? And now? So I think that that is going And now I think there are changes too. You know, there's what you described is certainly true of the Balasian tradition. But you know, even in my lifetime, you see a change towards different ways of studying. Certainly once you enter kind of mifha tracts where there's going to be more emphasis on you vote, and certainly you know the true boative emotion find seeing that everyone quote has to know right and things like that. So I do think there is a change. But I also think that the centrality of the gamara to the process of talmatara and therefore everything that flows from it, even if you're trying to do something quote practical, still exerts a tremendous influence and under That's one of things I tried to talk about my book, that this goes back to well, what are we doing here? Is this a legal system? Yeah, it's that this has this other dimension, and it's understood that that is captured kind of most essentially in the Gamura and the commentary around it, and less so in its practical orientation. Now, I will say, sitting here in a law school, some aspects of this exist in the American legal academy, and I suspect in graduate education throughout. We don't teach in law school much about which forms to file in the trial court in Pennsylvania, right. We tend to think about more theoretical discussions. There are far more classes on constitutional law and constitutional theory than there are on Pennsylvania civil practice, even though in reality most of the lawyers are not going to be arguing questions of first impression of constitutional interpretation. They're going to be doing the daily work of lawyers. My wife went to architecture school, and similarly, the sort of model project was you know the museum commission, which is some sort of conceptual statement made through a building, rather than you know, how to do you know a supermarket in the strip mall. So I do think that there's something about educational systems generally, or power professional education systems generally, where the kind of there's a sort of ideal type of study that is prized by the kind of educational establishment, which is that some gap between what the graduates actually do in practice is certainly true inneshiva, certainly true in law school, you know, and I know by analogy in architecture school. Although in law school I know that there's a yin and yang, and these things change do We're now in a more clinical route, and so these things go back and forth, you know, the fads kind of go back and forth. And I suspect the same is true in rabbinic education and also as instead we've been talking a lot about the volution tradition. If one comes from a kind of Spardic tradition, I think the world does look somewhat different, right.
Speaker 1: And the final point that I wanted to raise is sort of the threads of thought that is woven throughout your work on which this question of these two different genres of Halaic writing bear, which I think is is interesting, which is on what is halaha? Which seems to be a strikingly a question that is deceptively or appears simple, but is deceptive in that particular appearance, and in fact, as you have articulated over now, regain is actually a mutal, complex question. And of course you have these opposing or I'm not sure opposing these strikingly different ways of writing halaa and trying to develop it and expand it, and and and further it, advance it. And the question becomes, how does a consideration of these different forms of Alaric writing bear on the major question, which is how does one define alaa? The term?
Speaker 2: Okay, so we were ending with the with the question maybe with correct but.
Speaker 1: I think now that we have a better appreciation of what what is involved in this question, now we can sort of set the table if yeah.
Speaker 2: So so as your as youre as you say. So. That is something I've been thinking a lot about over the years, and my book, which is called the Rabbinica, the Rabbinic Idea Law, is trying to kind of articulate. So let me just kind of pose where we went into. I would say, both codes and response that would broadly be considered under the rubric of halahalam se right applied halakha, and therefore, you know, kind of not not already a subset. Now I tend to say that there are actually three terms. There's halakah, there's hala halamas, and there's halaka lamas lemis meaning there is halaha in the sense of this kind of broad system of ideas, we could say, largely captured in the talmudiness related literature in which minority opinions. You know, be Shami is part of alaha, even though we know we don't poscu in that. Robbie Mayer is halaja, even though we of course don't post in that, and halaha about all sorts of things that no bearing you know, the various discussions in the talma that sort of end inconclusively or end or are all picking up on ashita that the tama knows from the beginning it's not going to right, So that's haw aha sort of in its broadest sense. Right, then we have what we would call halakalama, which I say is the stuff that if we go back to our discussion of the riff, the sort of stuff that is within the riffs bar another legal term rule of recognition, in other words, within his rule of what we kind of is the applied normative alaka. But even there, if one studies shikhana uf, there's vast tracts of it that is not what we actually do in observant communities today. So for example, we mentioned this already tambdic torte law right, so bor and ash and sure and regel. All these things are in shohan uch and are not at all reflective in the practice of observant communities today. By contrast, something like the laws of Krishma do so I would say, we typically say ala Kalama, say is that which is kind of codified by the riff you know, rush tour Chilgrenarre. But even there I think there's a further distinction between what our actual practices are and what's stated in these books. So therefore I tend to think of it that it's probably best to think of it in three ways. The sort of rawest is roughly that which is in the tale. Then we could say that which is understood to be normative in some sense in some place. By the way, there's another category. Or what do we do with the Rombam's codifications of the of the laws of the Beta mkdash right, which are like they are halaja in the sense of these are the correct rules occurring around them, but they're in no way sort of part of our functional lives, and sort of a layer below that is the sort of everything is chicano, which includes things that are extremely relevant and things that are not and things that we do somewhat differently, et cetera. And then there's like the actual practices of Jewish communities which are found in she voked, which are found today, and like you know, the letters rabbis send their congregants before pass you know, this year was so that which the rabbi wrote to the shows, and sometimes that's the actual thing that we do. Here's how we're selling the comments. Here is how we're doing this. So I think that we have to think of it as in a variety of levels. I would say my own finish, if you will, or my own point of emphasis into the discussions. Actually not at the bottom end, but at the top is the range of things that halaja can cover. And this is a lot of what I talk about my book is that what what rabbinic discourse does is it uses legal language to talk about all sorts of questions and issues that may not be thought of as legal in other contexts. So I always say, you know, in our culture, we have poetry, we have film, we have literature, we have art. We have high brow versions of the things, we have low brow versions of these things. We have Facebook, we have podcasts, right, and lots of lots of ways to communicate and lots of lots of ways to frame ideas, and we tend to think about law as fairly narrow, bound to the state right and bound to prescriptive behaviors. So halaka has that. But what Rabinic literature doesn't have is all these other modes of discourse, or if it hasn't, they're all smushed together. You know, it has agada, it has drush out, but they all kind of tend to sort of revolve often around legal concepts. And therefore the idea is that the legal takes up so much space and therefore does a lot of work. And the challenge is, you know, now, maybe going back to the bottom line, is that we use the same body of texts in the same sort of set of concepts both to do our kind of big thinking about the world and to do our regulating and that could be hard because those are designed different things. I think the process of creating halahala myset from Hallaha is complicated precisely because it has to traverse this distance and the lines are not always clear and open for debate.
Speaker 1: Fair Enough, that was the kind of answer that has was both detailed and complex enough but also irreducible enough. I think we have to expect that you cannot reduced to a thing or another thing. It is somewhat like like law, and somewhat not, and inclusive of some aspects of it, but also ranges vastly beyond it. And I'm afraid that time has forced us to draw this conversation to a close. And I thank you very much for as a high samon, for joining us today on the Podcast of Jewish Ideas. This has been a lot of fun and we look forward to your future publications, whatever and whenever they may they may be.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: This has been the Podcast of Jewish Ideas by Tora in Motion, produced by Alisha Kellman and myself Jjkimbri, edited and mixed by Alisha Kelman. You can stay up to date by subscribing in your favorite podcast app. To support more thoughtful Jewish content like this, please visit Toro in motion dot org slash donated then then thet them me