Speaker 1: Hey, what's up.
Speaker 2: My name's Ben and I'm Nicole and you're listening to Wicked and Grim, a true crime.
Speaker 1: Podcast party my podcast.
Speaker 3: Listener, Merry after Christmas, Merry after Christmas.
Speaker 1: I've got oh, I got like sweaty hands.
Speaker 2: This is exciting. This is a new one for us.
Speaker 1: This might might take me a moment. Hold up, you got it ready? Ready?
Speaker 2: There?
Speaker 1: Who you got some shamp hogay break? Good time? Hell? I feel like saying welcome back.
Speaker 2: But but what we didn't really take a break.
Speaker 1: So well, we kind of did. I mean we will, but not like a fun break. Oh no, new our life was.
Speaker 2: Hell oh, our life has been interesting, to say the least.
Speaker 1: I'm having a glass of champagne and I'm into it. But yeah, it's been like a roller coaster and a half and oh my god, our life is just all over the place, let's put it that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but we feel like I need a series v k oh yeah I did before though, true, but our our last week's episode actually was came out on Christmas, motherfucking day. Was it for Christmas or Christmas Eve? I think it was either way.
Speaker 1: It was super late, but we managed to get it out for you. Guys, and this one's on time. So look at us, go right so high fucking five. You put yourself a lot. I need it, I need it. Okay, yours is like years on par with mine. Look that it's like a saint. I don't know. It seemed like you gave yourself a little extra. You always pull yourself a little bit of it, just a little wee bit.
Speaker 2: Okay, So we have patreons to think, Yes we do. We already said Mary ho ho. We hope you all had a good Christmas. Then we get to talk about the Golden State killer we do.
Speaker 1: But I just want to point out there there's this Christmas living in a tiny home. People had a little bit of an issue buying stuff for us. Oh yeah, however they did good though. I got a lot of booze for Christmas. You got a ridiculous amount of I got like so much beer. I got a nice bottle of whiskey.
Speaker 2: Like yes, but your favorite thing was like the meat and cheese.
Speaker 1: Or something that we got. I got like, we got like some like like charcotery, meat and cheese stuff like you're into it. I'm like, yes, give me all the meat, all the cheese, all the beer, all the booze. Literally, that's your Christmas list going forward. Yes, every year after that like boom meat.
Speaker 2: Cheese, crackers, bread and beer.
Speaker 1: And chocolate milk. I can always do with chocolate chocolate. I got you a giant bag of candy. Yeah, that was oh so delicious. Okay, but that aside, well, I just have to say I got no booze. You didn't. Clearly I'm the alcoholic in the family.
Speaker 2: I actually got super good gifts, so I'm pretty good.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Okay, Well, let's thank our patrons. Let's do it. We've got Katie Atkins, Lydia, Sarah Cannon, and Hannah Cordell. Thank you very much for signing for Patreon. If you guys want to listen to some Patreon exclusive episodes, we put out a Christmas one all about the history of Crampis. Yeah. That was actually pretty cool. So if you want to hear that one and plus many more, head over to our Patreon page and you can get access to those exclusive things. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we have some I have some plans, I have some things I want to start doing in that group.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so do I out come in. I'm pumped and we finally got our new platform, figured out there were some bugs going on with that, so we're actually gonna be changing over from anchor here very soon. But you can still listen to us on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, all those sorts of things. Real quick note, actually you can now yes, rate us on Spotify. That's a new feature.
Speaker 2: Super cool and last time I checked, we were how many do we have?
Speaker 1: I can't remember? Can I find it? Quickly? On Apple podcasts you can go rate and like put a comment on your start rating and stuff, and on Spotify you can actually just do a star rating. And most of our listeners are on Spotify, so we haven't really got many ratings over an Apple podcast So if you guys want to go over and give us a rating on Spotify, that would.
Speaker 2: Mean so much time going Yeah, we're at fifty three ratings and we're at four point nine.
Speaker 1: Yes, look at that. You guys are loving. Thank you for rating us, and thank you for heading on over to do it. If you're doing it just now, you guys are incredible. Love that so love that. I have something in my eyeball, so this is gonna be fun. Yeah, that's your finger, get it out of there, Okay, are we ready to rock and roll. I have alcohol. Yeah, I'm good, that's all I am.
Speaker 2: So today we're talking about the Golden State Killer.
Speaker 1: Dent ent dun, dun duo. Put that on a little soundboard. Actually, yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: So also known as the Visalia Ransacker, the East Area Rapist, the Original Nightstalker, and Joseph James DeAngelo Junior when he was finally caught in twenty eighteen.
Speaker 1: That's a lot of pseudonyms. That's a lot of names. Fuck that guy that we're gonna add more names to his rap sheet here.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, there were more names even and I was like, that's enough, that's enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So we're going to learn a little bit about Joseph and how it was he got all those names, and it's quite an interesting case.
Speaker 1: Well, let's hear it. Joseph was born.
Speaker 2: On November eighth, nineteen forty five, in Bath, New York. His father was a sergeant in the United States Army. He had two sisters and one brother. It was claimed Joseph was abused by his father growing up. I'm just gonna say claimed because it didn't say that in all the articles I read, but it said the few okay, and also something to mention. He witnessed his seven year old sister get raped by two airmen in a warehouse in West Germany, where the family was stationed.
Speaker 1: At the time. That's fucked up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so pretty traumatic, like that would be like.
Speaker 1: That's real fucked up, like just awful. Wow.
Speaker 2: Okay, so as per usual, maybe not the best upbringing, and he had some trauma in his childhood. At some point, the family moved to California, as that's where Joseph attended high school. It was reported that Joseph committed burglaries and tortured and killed animals during his teenage years.
Speaker 1: Okay, Like, so many cases start out exactly like this, We're talking childhood trauma, and then they move on to vent that trauma or frustration in some sort of way, generally in hurting, harming, or killing animals, before they move on to spearman on them. Really yeah, pretty much, And it's it's really sad to see if that's such a pattern.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I pretty much just described almost every serial killer's upbringing, and there's times where I'm like, do I even include that?
Speaker 1: But I don't know. You kind of have to to, so I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's just it's interesting to me because no matter like I'm no, I know, it's not like probably intentional, but it's almost like there's so many things that are the same in these serial killers upbringing that it's like you're almost making little serial killers.
Speaker 1: Does that make sense unintentionally? Unintentionally? Yeah, but yeah, no, I totally, I totally would know what you mean. It's awful.
Speaker 2: So in September, Joseph joined the United States Army, where he served for twenty two months during the Vietnam War. He then went on to pursue his career as a police officer, attending Sierra College in Rockland, California, and graduating with an associate degree in police science, then moving on to Sacramento State University in nineteen seventy one, earning a bachelor's degree in criminal justice, doing a little bit more training before finally completing a thirty two week police internship at the police department in Roseville, California.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's an impressive little raption. A lot of training, Yeah, no kidding.
Speaker 2: Joseph was a police officer from May nineteen seventy three to July nineteen seventy nine, working in Citrus Heights, Exeter and Auburn, all cities in California, ironically working as a burglary unit police officer at one point in time. Okay, he was fired from the force after being arrested for shoplifting a hammer and dog repellent. Some reports said he'd liked the thrill of shoplifting, others said he didn't want those particular items he was purchasing on record.
Speaker 1: That's that's a little bit of foreshadowing and sounding really dark right there.
Speaker 2: H So, now, during his time as a police officer, Joseph was also the Vicealia ransacker, an East Area rapist. I feel like that makes the crimes almost worse that he was like a police officer while he was doing like some real shit.
Speaker 1: He can have some real fucking sway in those cases too, even like potential with messing with evidence, for example, or persuading police to look in another direction, you know, those investigators on the case or something.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, because this was one statement it said, well, for example, while investigating burglaries during the day, he was committing them at night. But then nothing that I ever read said that he was ever like on the cases that he had done. But I mean would have been yeah, so I don't know, but then he also knew it made him always like one step ahead of the police too, right.
Speaker 1: Oh, definitely, like all that definitely major advantage, oh, one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: So from nineteen seventy three to nineteen seventy six, as the Visalia ransacker, Joseph is believed to have been responsible for one murder and approximately one hundred and twenty burglaries.
Speaker 1: Jesus, And sorry, this was by what time?
Speaker 2: This is in nineteen seventy three to nineteen seventy.
Speaker 1: Six, seventy three to seventy six, Okay, so that's all right, almost ten year period.
Speaker 2: No three, nineteen seventy three, nineteen seventy six, I was thinking eighty six, but okay, seventy three to seventy six, Okay, so three years, dang, And I think that's he was even at one point gone by a different name or whatever. And again I said that there's just too many fucking names that I just left it at, like the main ones. So it could have even been I think it was in like a twenty month or something period that he had actually committed those like one hundred and twenty burglaries. Like it is a very short period of time.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I'm going to do the math right now on that too. He was a busy boy. Three hundred and sixty five times three divided by how many? How many? One hundred and twenty, one hundred and twenty. Oh I'm never mind. I did that math totally wrong, and minus I'm like, wait, that's not right, divided by one hundred and twenty. Yeah. He was doing a burglary every eight point nine days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so just over every week, and I might say it later. I think I do say it later, but he would be like sometimes doing more than one a day, so wow, yeah, Okay, So the first recorded ransacking occurred on March nineteenth, nineteen seventy four, So see that said nineteen seventy three, but then the first recorder one is nineteen seventy four. So that's why it's like he did that evening shorter period of time. Yeah, so I believe. Oh, for fuck's sakes, I'm saying it right here. It's like we're going off of my notes and then I'm just like, whatever, you got to have your notes. I totally did because you took me there. I feel like, Okay, where the hell am I Okay, so the braakons were weird. They seemed very much so for pleasure as opposed to benefit from, like stealing items of worth. For example, so the first ransacking on March nineteenth, he stole some of fifty bucks in coins from a piggybank. Most of the braakins involved rifling through or vandalizing the homeowner's possessions, for example, scattering women's underwear around, like, Okay, I'm sorry, but I don't think I could live my life the same after I came home to some person that had done that.
Speaker 1: That sounds like like a fucking like frat kid's prank or something. I know, I am an adult actually getting off on something, not physically getting you know what I mean, yeah, just getting pleasure out of it. But it sounds very childish like that's what like it does. Actually the guys who are fresh into college, like, yeah, I'm gonna go on a panty raid, you know that sort of like stupid shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but soon you'll find out how nasty this guy was. That's just like and stealing low value items well, ignoring higher value items that could even have been in plain sight. He would also do things like rearrange items in the house or steal just one earring from a set.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's slightly funny. Asshole is definite asshole, but it's kind of funny. Yeah, Like he's really just playing with that. Yeah, it's a total mind game. It's not about the money or anything. It's just easy being an ask just to be a dick. Yeah, yeah, that's kind of funny. It's not funny, but it's kind of funny, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Okay, and then here I am where I said there would be days he would have multiple ransackings. Yeah, on one particular day, November thirtieth, nineteen seventy four, there were twelve separate incidents.
Speaker 1: Holy shit.
Speaker 2: And I was like, Okay, I'm sorry, but there's no way that someone could get that many done in a day. Like, there's just no way the Grinch could.
Speaker 1: I think the Grinch stole an entire town's worth of shit.
Speaker 2: But I'm like, I'm not that productive, So how's this dude? But he had like quite the mL including I have a list here, climbing fences and moving through established roots such as parks, walkways, ditches, and trails, attempting to pry open multiple points of entry, particularly windows, leaving multiple points of escape open, especially windows as well as the house, garage and garden doors, moving or removing windows screens and put icing them on like the bed. Placing warning items such as dishes or bottles against doors and on door handles so that when someone was fucking home and home he would hear right away. Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was creating little alarm systems.
Speaker 2: And wearing gloves. Being a police officer who investigated burglaries, he would know how to get away with these sort of crimes.
Speaker 1: Fingerprints, fingerprints he knew. Mm hmm. Now just this time was DNA maybe nowhing No, but it foxed him over in the end. And I was about to say, like, he probably didn't worry about DNA, and now a new technology caught up. Yeah, yes, okay, awesome.
Speaker 2: He did commit one murder during this time, on September eleventh, nineteen seventy five, and it was the murder of a man named Clyde Snelling RP.
Speaker 1: Clyde. I know.
Speaker 2: Interesting enough, Clyde had previously chased someone he had discovered under his daughter best window on February seventeenth of that year. It didn't exactly say, but I believe that would have been Joseph, as you'll learn soon enough that he usually targeted his victims and would learn their ways. But on this particular night, Claude awoke in the middle of the night, it was like two in the morning or something, hearing strange noises. When he went to investigate, he discovered that his back door was open and a ski masked individual Joseph was attempting to kidnap Beth. Joseph then shot Claude two times before fleeing the scene. Claude, unfortunately died en route to the hospital.
Speaker 1: Dang, but I mean, can we I don't know this is your your thing here, but can we make Claude or badass the day for save his daughter?
Speaker 2: There was actually one video I watched of I think it was Beth, and like I don't remember it super well, but she was kind of going on about like how she felt kind of guilty, right like because was there something she could have done to save her dad?
Speaker 1: I don't think that's like that's.
Speaker 2: A lot on a kid, right Yeah, But then she had said, like her mom said, like if there was like twenty mass men out there, like he would have done the same thing, like and she didn't fully know like that there was nothing she could do until like she had kids herself, because like you would just do anything for your kids, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I was like, oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: My heart, like that is freaking sad. But yeah, he was like it sounded like an amazing person. And he died saving his daughter, which is incredible.
Speaker 1: Can he be your badass of the day. Absolutely, Claude, You're a badass. Wait to protect your daughter?
Speaker 2: Like amazing, just an amazing person. So, after the escalation of murder, the police stepped up their game to catch Joseph, offering a reward and setting up nighttime stakouts near house as he had previously targeted. The ransackings continued, but on December twelfth, nineteen seventy five, there was a very close call of catching him. A detective was on steakout inside a garage where Joseph was known to frequent and sure enough, oh my gosh, you want to take a break while you pour yourself.
Speaker 1: Some more champagne. I'm sorry, my glasses empty. What that's like an emergency situation, I'm urgency, I don't know, yes, okay, And sure enough Joseph entered the backyard.
Speaker 2: The detective fired a warning shot at Joseph and it attempted to detain him, but Joseph was able to jump the fence when he himself fired a shot at the detective, just missing the detective's face and shattering his flashlight that he was probably holding right next to me, Like, just gear the shit out of you. A nearby officer rushed to the detective's aid, which allowed for Joseph to escape. Fuck but I'm just like breag. I actually had some Zerr's reactions researching this because I was getting pissed.
Speaker 1: I have a feeling that I'm gonna get really angry on this episode because Joseph is already fucking pissing me off. Well, he's a douche canal. He is a douche canoe, especially because like there's so many signs already, like just the single earring thing, for example, Oh yeah, just shows that he's just doing this just for fun. Oh fuck this guy. Though the single earring thing is slightly funny, I'll admit it, it's kind of funny. No, but fuck you, Okay, if you just it's like that that TikTok, Like if you're a break into someone's house and steal one thing or something.
Speaker 2: That's just did that series I did. Yeah, like fucking millions of you were like doing robbers shit all over a house is alarming.
Speaker 1: So it's like steel steel, like the agglets off the shoelaces or like the filling out of the oreo or something like that. Yeah, it's like just labels off cans. Yeah, that's sort of ship. So it's kind of along those same lines. It's just comedic. Actually doing it is fucking asshole and the fact that he's doing it and continuing and getting bigger and bigger with the things that he's doing just to be a fucking asshole.
Speaker 2: Oh. Just this is nothing really yet in my opinion, because it gets way worse.
Speaker 1: Well okay, but before we do. Like there's such a difference on people doing it because it's like that's their mindset and they want to they I don't know how to explain it, but you're the way you grew up. You got this mindset of like, Okay, you know, I need to kill animals, I need this outlet. He's just like I just want to because it's funny, Like you know, I don't know. He might have had a need of sorts. Right, he may have, but as far as I can tell right now, it's just for shits and giggles, which makes it that much worse.
Speaker 2: Okay, so many articles that I read said there was a suspicion whoever they were looking for had served in the military or in law enforcement, because it always seemed like they were one step ahead, which we kind of had already talked about.
Speaker 1: And if only they.
Speaker 2: Had caught him at this particular time, because it goes massively downhill from here.
Speaker 1: Shit.
Speaker 2: Joseph moved to the Sacramento area, and from nineteen seventy six to nineteen seventy nine his crimes would drastically escalate and he would become known as the East Area rapist.
Speaker 1: Fuck.
Speaker 2: In this time span, he would rape at least fifty women and murder one couple what like, And that's the ones that have reported it, right, there could be ones out there that probably didn't report it. Holy fuck, fifty women, Like, that's a lot off this guy. And that was again in a span of like three years, Like that's a lot.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: In the night, Joseph would creep middle class neighborhoods, looking through windows and search for women who lived alone in one story homes, preferring homes be around an open space that would allow for him to quickly escape, so like their house, backing onto like a schoolyard or creek or trail or something. Right. He would then go about learning his victim's daily routine routines, frequently phoning them, sometimes months in advance, and being a motherfucker creeper.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is one thing I have heard about this case. He was like seriously creepy with it, wasn't he like breathing into phone.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, and then what would he He would do things like he would say.
Speaker 1: Gonna kill you, gonna kill you, gonna guill you, ll you like shit. See, he's doing it just for shits and giggles because he that's what he likes. Yeah, like that.
Speaker 2: I just think I would just be done. Like I think I would just be moving out of the country at that point, because I don't think if I got a phone call like that that I'm not the type of person that could just get.
Speaker 1: Over that and move on with my life. Yeah, I'd be like, nope, bye, see you, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, And when it was time for his attack, he would often break into their homes in preparation, so to unlock windows, turn off porch lights, unload guns, and plant materials like shoelaces that he would use later to bind his victims. Fuck, like setting the scenes so it's ready for him, which is.
Speaker 1: Just so he'd do this like the night before he'd break into their home that day.
Speaker 2: Or I don't even know, but at some point, which is ough. Initially Joseph was just targeting women. They would sometimes have children in the home with them, but a man wasn't present. But it's believed that as a direct result of media reports claiming that he only attacked women alone in their home, he decided to change his mo because like you're saying, this is a game fun, right, and started to further challenge himself and move on to couples. Fuck and like, oh my gosh, this it's just terrifying. Okay, Like I don't even want to talk about it's so terrifying.
Speaker 1: I don't even want to talk about. This guy's kissing me the fuck off.
Speaker 2: So he'd wake the sleeping couples by shining a flashlight in their face and threaten them with a handgun.
Speaker 1: Shite.
Speaker 2: In one particular attack. He hid in a couple's closet, waited for them to fall asleep, and then announce himself, shining a flashlight in their face. And when the husband went to reach for the gun he kept next to the bed, Joseph flashed the light on the bullets he was holding in his hand. He had already emptied the gun.
Speaker 1: Fuck, could you imagine me in that situation what my reaction would be?
Speaker 2: I don't know, Like, I don't know. You don't you think you just get get away?
Speaker 1: I think I would, okay, because what's my history have been before? On situations where shit wakes me up?
Speaker 2: You're like ready to rock and roll, like in your under were just ready to go.
Speaker 1: I'm just like, I don't even think about the consequences. I'm just up and I am running towards whatever the issue is. Yeah, before I even wait, you might actually even catch Joseph. Her I might. And not because I'm trying to say like I'm a badass and that's what I do, but because I'm just so fucking out of it. I'm just I don't have a fucking aware for the risk or the hazard. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I had one time in an old house set in our alarm off because I wasn't want to work, or you and you were in graveyards or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think we might have talked about this before.
Speaker 2: Oh okay maybe, but then just in short, like I'm like trying to turn it off, and then all of a sudden, you were on the bottom of the stairs in your underwear, like ready to fuck someone up.
Speaker 1: I had like my fists in the air well. The alarm was going off, woking up. I just flew out a boat ready to fight someone. He'd just broken her. It was more alarming for me than the alarm going off. I'm not going I was so confused. I was like ready to punch someone, and You're standing there terrified, and I'm like, what is going on?
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, back to the story. If we get in here, holy shit, let's do it.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: But like at that point you I, okay, maybe not you, but I feel like most people would just know that you're like fucked.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you are fucked. I probably would have been shot, is what would have happened? If I've got up and then I'd be massively fucked. Yeah, I would have been shot.
Speaker 2: So victims were then bound. The female often made to tie up her loved one before, for she herself was bound, which I just hate so tightly, like bound so tightly that victims reported their hands being numb for hours after being untied. They're also generally gag, I'm assuming, to stop them from making much noise, right, and this part because we didn't think it was also awful enough. But Joseph would separate the couples in the home, generally leaving the man in the bedroom and bringing the woman out into the living room, and he'd stack dishes on the man's back, threatening to kill everyone in the home if he heard the slightest rattle of a dish, Like, I don't know, I just hate that, Like really, you're just really in between a rock and a hard place. Then, as I'm sure you assumed, he would rape the woman, sometimes repeatedly, while taking breaks in between taranac the house, going through closets and jawers. And this motherfucker would cook himself food sometimes or have food or sorry, or have a beer that he found in like the victim's kitchen. Fuck, and then he would go back and like rape the woman again.
Speaker 1: It's a total pleasure thing, Yes, totally getting off from the control. It's disgusting the fact that he can.
Speaker 2: He would be in the home for hours at a time, the victims not always even knowing if he was left or if he was still there, right, if he had left or if he was still there, Like what the fuck? As per usual, he'd steal very little, often objects and items of little value, but occasionally he would steal some cash and firearms. The murder he committed as the East Area rapist was Brian and Katie meg Megie were I think they were walking their dog in the night of February second, nineteen seventy eight, near an area that had just previous they had five attacks occur, so I feel like almost like stay home, that's scary. But they were just out for a stroll. There was a confrontation of sorts. I'm assuming they may have confronted Joseph, like caught him on the prowl or something, right. Joseph then shot Brian, and as Katie was fleeing and yelling for help, he shot her too.
Speaker 1: Fuck Like just brutal.
Speaker 2: After the murders of Brian and Katie and the last contra Acosta County rapes, that's like.
Speaker 1: A mouthful that ten times fast. I know.
Speaker 2: In nineteen seventy nine, Joseph would move on yet again, moving to southern California, where his crimes escalated again.
Speaker 1: I think that's like the only way any of these guys get away with anything is if they move around.
Speaker 2: Well, it's interesting how they just like escalate so much too, Like are they they're getting bored I guess, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or something They're trying to well, and they think they can get away with it. So they're like, let's see how much I can get it with, you know, so it becomes this bigger game of what else can I do?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Okay, so he where were we? He moved to southern California and he would become known now as the knight Stalker and then the original night Stalker because another serial killer in the area committing similar crimes as Joseph would have the night Soccer name.
Speaker 1: So he got the original night Soccer. Was it a copycat or no?
Speaker 2: I don't think so. His name was Richard Ramira's I think is what it was.
Speaker 1: Just ended up being similar situations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then but Joseph, I think he got the original because he had his crimes had started before. But I'm like, Wow, you're competing for those kind of names, Like.
Speaker 1: That's super real, fucking winners.
Speaker 2: So, Joseph's reign of terror as the original night Stalker, who would last from nineteen seven to nineteen eighty six, with him being most active between nineteen seventy nine and nineteen eighty one, but returning with one final debut in nineteen eighty six. Okay, other than murdering people, Okay, So I said that his crimes escalated, and really all that could they could do to escalate is he was murdering his victims. Now, Yeah, but before I get into that, I wanted to talk about the speculation why his attacks were so sparse or why he might have stopped altogether. And well, that's because he had a.
Speaker 1: Family, right I heard about this isn't that nice? Yeah, ass wipe got a family? Was around the times of him having kids or something, wasn't it. Yeah?
Speaker 2: Like I just don't think that he should have had the opportunity to have a family.
Speaker 1: But no, that's just me. Okay.
Speaker 2: So in nineteen seventy Joseph was actually engaged to a woman named Bonnie. This isn't overly important because she dodged the bullet and broke things off with him in nineteen seventy one. But I wanted to throw it in there, because during at least one of the rapes, it was reported that Joseph would repeatedly say, I hate you Bonnie.
Speaker 1: Really, it's just like disturbing. What the fuck? Yeah, so, I mean she left him.
Speaker 2: There was even other articles that I read that he threatened to murder her to get her to marry him and stuff. So like she like super dodged a bullet.
Speaker 1: No kidding, But I just there's so much psychology behind that I hate you Bonnie, like what. So, yeah, there was obviously some resentment there. Wow.
Speaker 2: But in November of nineteen seventy three, he married. He married Sharon Marie Hohodle. She apparently didn't get so lucky by learning his true cothers. They purchased a house in Citrus Heights, which is in California, in the year of nineteen eighty. Little side note, this house is where he was actually arrested in twenty eighteen, living with his daughter and granddaughter.
Speaker 1: He carried on till twenty eighteen. It's a little bit of foreshadowing. Man, Holy shit, I didn't realize it was that like little time ago that he was arrested.
Speaker 2: Wow, okay, So Joseph and Sharon had three daughters before they separated in nineteen ninety one. So Joseph's first attack as the original nightstalker was on a Monday, October one, nineteen seventy nine.
Speaker 1: It was in the.
Speaker 2: Santa Barbara County and thankfully this couple survived. Breaking in, Joseph got to the point where he was able to tie up the couple, but after hearing him say to himself, I'll kill him, the couple tried to escape. When he left the room with the woman screaming. Realizing he basically fucked up and the neighbors could have been alerted, Joseph fled the scene. One of their neighbors was apparently an FBI agent. She had to w'd respond to the norse and went after Joseph, but he was ultimately able to get away. Fuck but geez, i'd want an fb buy FBI agent is my neighbor? Hey kidding, that's the kind of neighbor you'd want.
Speaker 1: If you're gonna go buy a new house or get a new apartment or something, find a place with the FBI neighbor, like, that's that should be on the list that you're looking at. Tell your realtor that is, talk to your reality out there. What's the building manager for apartments and stuff? Talk around and be like, so, do you know have any uh FBO agents in the area or anything that we can move in next door to or something.
Speaker 2: Because a lot of people I think, like in this case, I don't know if I've gotten there yet, but they hear the gunshot and they like won't even do anything. But at least you know, the FBI agent would be like, he'd be like you like out the door.
Speaker 1: Probably before you can even react.
Speaker 2: Right, So I think that'd be an awesome neighbor. His shoe prints, so Joseph's shoe prints and twine used to bind the couple was later linked to his next attack, which brings us to the next attack, which took place on December thirtieth, forty four year old Robert Offerman and thirty five year old Deborah Manning.
Speaker 1: Why do you have a sorry? Just Robert Offman. As soon as you said that name had just brought Nick Offerman into mind the actor.
Speaker 2: So they were found dead, shot dead in Robert's condominium neighbors had heard gunshots and Robert's bindings were untied, indicating that he had lunch at Joseph. But unfortunately, the couple did not survive their injuries. Now to move on to the following year, nineteen eighty, there would be four more victims, two couples. On March thirteenth, thirty three year old Charlene Smith and forty three year old Lyman Smith were found murdered in their home. Their wrists and ankles had been bound with drapery court and Charlie had been raped. The couple was then bludgeoned to death with a log from their outside wood pile. Fucking brutal, Like that's just like a brutal, disgusting way to.
Speaker 1: Die, no kidding, geez, like gross, this guy's such a dick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's awful. So next, on August nineteenth would be twenty four year old Keith Harrington and twenty seven year old Patrese Harrington. This couple were newlyweds. They had just been married three months prior to their attack. Lock which is I don't know, not that that makes it worse, but it's just like they're just starting like their marriage, like oh.
Speaker 1: My gosh, I mean there's there's.
Speaker 2: Always there still should be celebrating.
Speaker 1: Really, yeah, there's substances to any circumstance, Like if, for example, someone's like house burns down, Okay, yeah that's terrible. But if you're houst burns down on Christmas, it's just that it's that extra salt in the wound.
Speaker 2: You know, it totally is. So they lived in a gated community. Keith was a medical student and Patrese was a nurse. Patrise had been raped and they had both been bound, but no murder weapon from their bludgeoning. I love trouble saying that blood had been found at the scene. Keith's brother, however, Bruce, was actually quite well off, and when later spend nearly two million dollars supporting a California proposition authorizing DNA collection from all California felons and certain other criminals.
Speaker 1: Shit, so this is where it starts taking him down.
Speaker 2: I'm assuming I'm not actually a hunterred percent certain if like how much Bruce had to help with this situation, because this is that particular thing was like, as soon as you're basically a felon that they can collect or DN I to put in their database. Okay, I see, it's sort of what his money was going to. But I obviously clearly he was like really involved, right, and so I think he could have been helpful.
Speaker 1: To this well. I mean later on when they had Joseph DNA, it could have helped them rule out some suspects. Yeah, so that's good and totally narrow it down sort of thing. Totally. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, So the following year, nineteen eighty one, joseph'snack's victim would be Manuela with Hume, who was married, but her husband was not home at the time. Some reports not all said that he was actually like hospitalized at the time, So that's like real shitty there too. She was again raped and murdered, and that's that fuck. Yeah, Like I don't understand why he's just started murdering all these people, but it has to be because he was just like getting bored and what else can I do?
Speaker 1: And yeah, it's just taking the next step.
Speaker 2: And then on July twenty seventh, thirty five year old Sherry Domingo and twenty seven year old Gregory Shantez would be Joseph's last married couple, married or murdered couple, and last couple, So last couple that was murdered, but not the last victim.
Speaker 1: Dude. Well yeah, that's kind of why I asked married, like, is he gonna murder like other people?
Speaker 2: Just yeah, there's only one more after this, So we're we're getting we're getting close here. So they were attacked in Cherry's residence, blocks away from Robert Offerman's condominium. Actually, Joseph entered the home through a small bathroom window. Gregory had not been tied up, so it's believed that he may have realized who he was dealing with from like the Ofuferman Manny murders, like he might have seen in the news, right, and fought back, but he was shot and bludgeoned to death with a garden tool. No neighbors apparently responded to the gunshot. Jerry was raped and also bludgeoned. Joseph would take basically a five year break before he struck again on May fourth, nineteen eighty six, his last and final victim that is known. That is known really, because I feel like when there's this amount of victims, like, oh, there has to be some that are not known.
Speaker 1: Oh definitely, really, I mean, even if you get caught. No one is ever telling their their full victim lest yes, some people are like ready and ampt to brag, but they're not telling everything.
Speaker 2: Like even if you're caught as a kid and like your parents are asking you and you have to divulge what you did, like you leave shit out.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, so.
Speaker 2: I think in this you leave shit out, you leave victims out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I punched him in the face, but like I bear, he tapped him, which really wowed up in like big old haymakers.
Speaker 2: Okay, so this last victim would be Janelle Lisa Cruz. She was only eighteen years old. And that's actually just a side note that I never put in here, Like some of the people that he raped were kids, like as young as third co course, and I had never put that in there earlier, and I should have.
Speaker 1: But yeah, some of the victims were young. I don't think we've covered a rapist yet that hasn't raped a minor, I know, which is just disgusting, absolutely discussing so gross.
Speaker 2: Like it's just beyond I can't even imagine, likeugh, Okay, so she was raped in and found bludgeoned to death by what they believed he used was a pipe wrench when and her family was away vacationing in Mexico brutal, so like she probably really wishes, well she should have gone to Mexico because just that age, I could see maybe I'm not going away on family case and I'm staying home. There could have been other reasons why.
Speaker 1: She was going to Mexico. I'm sure an eighteen year old, who do you want to go to?
Speaker 2: Not necessarily it's still a family vacation, and it was some teenagers think.
Speaker 1: Full sock right, I'd be all over fucking Mexico. My parents, like, we're going to Mexico. Do you want to come at me? Fuck? Yeah, I'm coming to Mexico. You ain't leaving me behind, no way? No, okay.
Speaker 2: So do you want to know how this mofo gets caught?
Speaker 1: Yes? I fucking do. I want to be caught already.
Speaker 2: Because so his last is nineteen eighty six was the last known thing. He didn't get caught until twenty eighteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a time span a fuck.
Speaker 2: So this dude got to live for over like thirty years as a free motherfucking.
Speaker 1: Man, probably thinking he's going to get away with it, and no probably oh I bet you.
Speaker 2: He was almost guaranteed he'd get away with this at that point, like thirty years okay, fuck yeah, So Joseph would become the first public arrest obtained through genetic genealogy.
Speaker 1: Oh really, I was like, what the fuck's that?
Speaker 2: So it's a new wish technology that takes the DNA of an unknown suspect left behind at a crime scene and identifies them by tracing a family tree, a family tree through their family members who have voluntarily submitted their DNA to public genealogy databases.
Speaker 1: Yep. I was like, that's interesting.
Speaker 2: So it's like twenty three and meters ancestry DNA, Like, I'm sure you've heard of some of them.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, And I'm sure a lot of those things. It's like you don't even realize you're actually giving your DNA to public sources like this because you're probably signing off on the paper. Oh yeah, because lots who don't read all that. Yeah, so you're probably just signing off just to like, oh, I'm going to see if I'm like Norwegian, German, fucking whatever. And here it's like in the spine print, you're giving your DNA for like investigative databases. And shit.
Speaker 2: But technically, the normal, the normal, the main source of people wouldn't have to worry about that coming back to buy them in the end.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, no, totally right. But now that actually brings up a question. I just realized, I wonder if those types of websites and stuff are at least funded but potentially run by like police sources or government sources like that.
Speaker 2: I don't think so, because I think some there were some people that had problems with using them as a way to find these bad people, right, so, and they had But I mean, I think it's perfectly fine, Like I think you're fine, totally. But yeah, I mean, who knows maybe way back in the back end that no one really knows they are funding them in some way.
Speaker 1: Hey, I'm sure there's got to be some sort of connection there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I have a number here of how many soon like they've helped. Yeah, so far, so a lot so so. To identify Joseph in particular, investigators narrowed the family tresearch based on age, location, and other characteristics. Once investigators were able to zero on Joseph himself, they watched him and collected his DNA from a discarded tissue left in the trash boom, like this motherfucker is done. Don't blow your nose. Don't blow you throw it in the draft.
Speaker 1: That's the moral of the story today. Done. Don't blow your motherfucking nose. Jesus.
Speaker 2: So, investigators plugged the DNA from the tissue into the genealogy database and found a match linking Joseph's DNA to DNA found at crime scenes.
Speaker 1: Bohm, Joseph, you'd done.
Speaker 2: Shouldn't blow you know, which caused his arrest in April of twenty eight. Yes, motherfucker, like yes, like it's just I bet, oh my gosh, like no one probably expected this.
Speaker 1: It's like the best thing ever. Really.
Speaker 2: So once Joseph was taken into custody, he said to himself an interview room, I did all those things.
Speaker 1: I just all those lives, he said to himself. Yeah, he was like in an interview room. So he's one of those idiots most likely. I mean, I don't think you have the fact on it, but one of those idiots most likely who thought he was alone in an interview room not being recorded and spoke to himself possibly fuck.
Speaker 2: But so yeah, he's basically but he's an old man to at this point, he's in his seventies, Like, what's he gonna do?
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, I know that. I don't know. However, there's a lot of cases I've looked into, even stuff that we haven't discussed in this podcast yet. There's a lot of cases out there where people say shit because they don't think they're being recorded in an interrogation room. Bitch, You're always being recorded in an interrogation room. It's really interrogation room.
Speaker 2: Oh and I never stuck it in here, and I hope I can remember it correctly. But there was something about he said he had like this other like that. I think it was he named him like Jerry, like almost his person telling him what to do that he couldn't like control. But it does seem kind of like made up at that point in the in the room, he could have just been like done, Like really, do you really think.
Speaker 1: Jerry's gonna say, hey, Joseph, break into that old lady's house and steal one earring? Like what? No?
Speaker 2: No, he came up with the shit on his own, right. Okay, So a cool side note is, since Joseph's of rest, because he was like the first over one hundred and fifty suspects have been identified through genetic genealogy, and that that article that I had read too was in like late twenty twenty, so I'm sure there's even more now, Oh definitely, Like that's freaking awesome. Okay, so a few crummy things. Joseph did plead guilty and will obviously be spending the rest of his life in prison, which is good, but he won't be facing the death penalty because he took a plea deal which required him to admit to multiple uncharged acts, including his rapes. Now the rapes were uncharged acts, and the burglaries too because with California's statute of limitation. Oh fuck of course, I guess enough time had passed from the incidents that he could no longer be charged for them, so he basically went unpunished for them, which I actually don't agree with at all.
Speaker 1: I don't make any sense. It doesn't if you did the crime, you serve the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like, who cares when the fuck it was.
Speaker 1: I can understand some plea deals, like.
Speaker 2: For minor offenses maybe oh oh sorry, we had different ways.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he totally did. I can understand plea deals where it's like Okay, we've got you for these couple murders. If you tell us where the bodies of the rest of the people are, you won't get charged for those ones if you admit to them, because we can't tie you to them. Yeah, if you fess up help us find the bodies, you're not charged for those. You're just charged for the three. And now you're making a deal, you're bartering. I can understand that, because you can't charge him for it. The only way you're going to know is if he fesses up and helps you.
Speaker 2: Anyways, Well, the plea though, was he he I think he went and he divulged like a lot of information about the rapes and stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so right, so getting that information, which which is beneficial. However, I'm not saying that it's okay for someone to get away with that shit, but at least at least it's just a silver lining. At least you're getting to know information you would have known before.
Speaker 2: And he did get charged for each of the murders, and they were all their own sentencing, so but I mean, like, gosh, you could have just got charged for want He's seven years old. He's going to be in jail. Forever, right, But sometimes it's also helpful for the families knowing that, oh, yeah, someone just charged for the acts.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So in August of twenty twenty, rape survivors, their relatives and the relatives of those he had killed got the opportunity to confront Joseph and they shared stories of fear, grief, and their resilience moving forward with their life. But how they are now confronted knowing that Joseph is finally going to prison and will remain there until the day he dies, which is awesome. On August twenty first, twenty twenty, Joseph was officially sentenced to life in prison with the chance of parole. I didn't love this. He was given the opportunity to address his victims, which I don't particularly agree with because, in my opinion, when what he said was stupid. But like also, he couldn't have said anything that would remotely make anyone feel better anyway. But I think it'd been nice for them to basically say their peace without having to hear a reply.
Speaker 1: I think personal enough. I think if if you are going to hear a reply, I think it should be up to the discretion of the family to approve or disapprove of them speaking in court.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, because here I want to say what he said. He says, fuck all, like he's just like a little fucker, Like I don't like him at all, and I don't think he should have got chances to talk. So, rising from his wheelchair, which all know one thing about in a minute and removing his face max mask, he said, I've listened to all your statements, each one of them, and I'm truly sorry to everyone I have hurt. Thank you your honor. Like what a douche Like that's nothing. I mean, I feel like that make me worse, Like shut the hell up, let me say my peace without hearing word back from you.
Speaker 1: He at least said he sorry, But that's like a when you talk to a little kid, say you're sorry, I'm sorry, like it's like like you mean it, like okay.
Speaker 2: So this regarding the wheelchair, this man was in his seventies. It's old, but like not ancient.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: He was playing everyone again because when he rolled into the courtroom in his wheelchair, it looks more like he was one hundred years old and made people almost question if he could even go through these court hearings. But then they had footage of him in his jail cell where he's doing some exercising. At one point he's like crawling up on his bed and then crawling over to the stink so that he can put some shit on top of the lights to like dim his prison cell. So like one hundred percent playing everyone, because when he gets wheeled in this motherfucker wheelchair looks just like old of Sin and you think, holy heck. But then in his jealou says he's completely different.
Speaker 1: That could have been his defense attorney though, too right, that could have been their their strategy. Well that guy don't like either. Oh yeah, no kidding, don't. Don't get me wrong here. I'm just saying, but you you you went over some information that you told me about this case. I'm waiting for you to say it, and you haven't said it yet. Oh really, I miss something about the women getting together and like survivors of his rape and talking about him and how he's got a micro dick. Oh shit, he's got a little eighty bitty team.
Speaker 2: I didn't actually okay, the main source I used that it wasn't in there. But yeah, that was something that was was said a couple times that the victims almost had comfort because this guy's dick is real small, like micro small.
Speaker 1: He's got a micro penis.
Speaker 2: So, oh my gosh, I was like, what on earth could I have told you that I missed? But yeah, that was actually information I thought you would enjoy it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it wasn't a big piece of information you missed. It was a really small piece of information. So I could see you skipping past that quite easily, not realized I didn't even see it.
Speaker 2: Okay, So now, as always, this is only an hour or so long podcast, So if you did want to dive in a little bit deeper, there's a book written by Michelle Macnerma or something titled I'll Be Gone in the Dark, One Woman's obsess obsessive search for the Golden State Killer. And I think it was actually Michelle that was behind this Golden State Killer name too. Yeah, and there's also an HBO documentary series also titled All be Gone in the Dark, so you could like really dive in deeper. I actually this is one case I probably would want to read that book because there's it's there's a lot, it's a lot to it.
Speaker 1: Well, then read it. I know, I want to start reading more. I really hope this Joseph when he's in prison gets laughed at in the showers for his micro penis.
Speaker 2: That's your hope that that's my hope that everyone just laughs. Well, I feel like that he's probably not in any area where there's other prisoners, because this guy would get killed with what he's done, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for the miners and stuff. Yeah, and the rapes and everything. M hm.
Speaker 2: So I can't see him ever being in another area with another person or something bad would happen. Are some would say it's.
Speaker 1: Bad, some would others might not think it's so bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yep, So we'll see how long he lasts in there. But yeah, it's like really new. This was it's because I mean even in twenty twenty, just last year is when he was like officially sentenced, right, so.
Speaker 1: Like a year ago. Wow, I didn't realize it was that new. Holy crap. Well it's not new really at all, but it's just new. No, Yeah, that he's gotten caught.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, So good job to like investigators for keep going right and no kidding, for them to keep searching for these motherfuckers because look like you eventually can find them.
Speaker 1: And if you want to maybe do your part, maybe you know, give your DNA to ancestry dot com or something now that we're plugging them. I don't know. I this is not an ad by any means or sponsorship deal. No, just maybe you might be helping out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they might need that because this sort of shit probably made it so that they got less people submitting maybe, you know, but I mean, if you got nothing to hide, go for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: So anyway, that is the case of the Golden.
Speaker 1: State Killer and his tiny dick and.
Speaker 2: Is micro penis.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening.
Speaker 2: I'll be posting some shit on Instagram.
Speaker 1: Yeah, check out our links down below. We got the Instagram, we got the Facebook, we got the Patreon, where you can get the exclusive access to things like I don't know, maybe just some episodes that we don't release to the public, only release to patrons.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 1: Links are all down below, including our website and merch. We appreciate you guys, You're absolutely amazing. Thank you for listening, and of course stay wicked.