Speaker 1: Thirteen rounds, featherweight frame, Magpoll grip that holds without printing, Ruger LCP Max with Magpol ehg the pocket pistol perfected Carrie Moore, Carry Confident.
Speaker 2: Upgrade your optic with Hollison, where innovation meets precision. With fifty thousand hours of battery life, shake awake technology and a solar failsafe, your optic is always ready when you are Hollosen confidence in every shot.
Speaker 3: He was the first and he's still the best. For thirty years. Tom Gresham has been your trusted source on all things Mollistic, new guns, Second Amendment, personal protection, deep part of it, Paul, Tom talk Gun. Now here's Tom.
Speaker 4: Well, let's time to do this thing again. And I'm Tom Gresham. I am your host. You can give me a call at anytime. I'm actually looking for calls.
Speaker 5: Today.
Speaker 4: We kind of cleared the deck doing something a little bit different, maybe a little bit experimental, having fewer guests today so we can have more callers. That'd be you talking about well anything actually, and I have a couple of subjects. We're going to be bringing up something right out of the news that just happened within the last twenty four hours and then we're going to be talking about well different things.
Speaker 5: Going to the rains.
Speaker 4: I went out did a little shooting, actually a couple of times this week. Shot in an old competition. Yesterday. I learned some things, not all good. I mean, they were good things to learn, but they weren't good things about my shooting. That's a whole different thing. But yeah, I'll confess. I'll talk about that right now. And yeah, by the way, if you want to call, give me a call that Tom Talk Gun. That's the easy way to remember the number here. As you know I are probably know, I'm in Idaho. I live in Idaho. Last well, in the last twenty four hours yesterday, in the lovely town of Twin Falls, Idaho, which is a great place that'll spend a fair amount of time. In Twin Falls, a young man decided to murder people. It's as simple as that. You can call it whatever description you want, but he decided he's going to take his what appeared to be an ar his rifle. And we've got video. I mean, we're looking at the video. If you haven't heard about this, haven't seen it, you need to look it up. He's in the parking lot of an in and out Burger, which I guess opened a week or two ago, and he's shooting through the windshield of at least one tesla, maybe more. Can't tell if they're in the charging stations or if the people in it, because if they're in a charging station that can't drive away, he can't drive over him, which would have been the logical thing to just run over his sorry ass. He's shooting through the windshiels, he's killing people. He's walking around, clearly one of those suicidal mass murder attempts. We've seen this so often, where these young, disenfranchised people decide to go out in a blaze of glory and want their name remembered, and they study stilling in Clee Bowl, they study the mass murderers, the school shooters or whatever. They want to run their numbers up. They want to be famous, which, by the way, is the reason I will never ever say their name. They haven't released the name of the murderer yet, even when they do, I will never speak the name, not only for the fact that I don't want to give him the celebrity that he was looking for, but also because to do so simply encourages more people to do exactly the same thing for them to become famous. If the media never mentioned the name of these murderers, fewer people would think they can become celebrity. He's because nobody's becoming a celebrity by doing this.
Speaker 5: But I digress.
Speaker 4: So this guy is shooting people in this parking lot, and you got all this video being posted online of people who are shooting video of the murder's taking place.
Speaker 5: They're shooting video. But one guy, one Idaho.
Speaker 4: Guy, decides he's not going to shoot video. He's going to shoot bullets back at this murderer. So he gets this pistol out, and there's a video of this and he starts weighing away. And what's interesting that when you first look at the video, you look at the image, you go, what is that?
Speaker 5: What is he shooting? How long is the barrel on that pistol? Well, we know.
Speaker 4: Now pretty sure the man's name is Jordan Salinas. In Twin Falls, it appears that he is shooting an FN pistol in five point seven millimeter with a suppressor. Yes, I said his self defense gun. His EDC gun is every day carry gun. Is a five point seven equipped with a suppressor and he is shooting at this guy. Now what we don't know at this point, and look in twenty four hours, certainly in forty eight hours we're going to know an awful lot more about this. We're very early on. We're in the fog of the whole thing. We don't know if he hit the murder. We don't know if the murder ended up killing himself, which is entirely possible. It often happens, and people say, well, if that's the case, then this guy didn't.
Speaker 5: Do any good.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'd make to differ because Jenry speaking, when these mass murderers show up to commit suicide, they kill people until somebody starts throwing bullets at them, whether it's the police or somebody else, And the moment that somebody starts shooting at them, they end up killing themselves. So clearly, the more quickly you can make that happen, more quickly somebody shows up with a gun and starts shooting at them or shooting them more quickly, you can end this thing. You can stop the murderers that are taking place. Did Jordan's allions hit him, don't know? Did he distract him? Almost certainly? Is he a good guy with a gun.
Speaker 5: Yeah, hey, is.
Speaker 4: We're learning other things about our good guy with a gun. Jordan's the lionis and some people are saying, yeah, he was one of those paranoid guys who preps all the time, because he posts videos himself with ars and the suppressed gun and he's LARPing larp if you don't know, live action role player, which the term now has become kind of a pretender, kind of a goofball.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: You know, if you're prepping and you end up using the preparation and you save lives doing it, is that something worthy of mockery or is that something worthy of saying, hey, way to go guy. And it may not have been my thing. I w wasn't out there posting those pictures, those videos. It appears that a couple of years ago jordan' slives actually posted online train as though your life depends upon it, because.
Speaker 5: It just might.
Speaker 4: What's kind of a thing we've been saying forever, Train as though your life depends on it, because your life may depend upon it, or the lives of others may depend on it. I know people say, wait, I can never imagine I can never imagine needing to use a pistol to shoot somebody at thirty five or fifty yards.
Speaker 6: Uh huh.
Speaker 4: I can never imagine using a pistol against somebody with a rifle. I can never imagine having a suppressor on my carry gun. As I've said many times before, I think a lot of people need better imaginations. You cannot deal with it if you've not thought about it ahead of time, generally speaking, or at least you won't deal with it well. Jordan's Lionis had thought about it, he had imagined it, he had prepared for it, he had committed, he had trained, he was ready for it.
Speaker 5: Food for thought. Now, question I would like to throw out.
Speaker 4: Do you train at any long distances? Do you train at all? But when you train an practice? I mean I was shooting to steal a challenge yesterday with a carry gun. I'll get into more about that. A ford a quarter, It's barrel, nine millimeter nineteen eleven Commander style. In the first targets for thirty five yards. Thirty five yards that's a long way with a carry gun. So do you train like that? Do you prepare like that? And also I want to throw this thought out, and I'd love to get your take on this. The question is it time for us to revisit the conversation about having a truck gun. Would you rather have had a rifle or a pistol caliber car being in that situation. Our number here is Tom Talk Gun. I'm Tom Gresher'll be right back.
Speaker 1: When Ruger set out to build the ultimate pocket pistol, they succeeded. The LCP Max, now paired with the Magpool in hands handgun grip, delivers everything you need and nothing you don't. Thirteen rounds of three to eighty in a frame that disappears in your pocket, a Tritium front site for fast acquisition and anti light, secure action fire control you could trust with your life. Ruger's legacy of American innovation reimagine for how you carry today the LCP Max with Magpool EHG.
Speaker 7: Want the latest in guns, gear and shooting info straight into your inbox. Sign up for the gun Talk newsletter. Get insider access to reviews, exclusive deals, training tips, and the hottest stories from the range, delivered every week. Don't miss out on the news and offers every shooter needs to know. It's fast, free and easy. Sign up today at gun talk dot com. That's gun talk dot Com.
Speaker 8: Black Hills Ammunition is now loading a three hundred PRC round with the excellent Hornity two twelve grain ELDX hunting bullet. The new PRC eliminates the unnecessary belt of the three hundred Winchester Magnum and increases the body diameter. The three hundred PRC two twelve ELDX travels at over two eight hundred fifty feet per second with three eight hundred twenty four foot pounds of energy. The result is an optimum combination of accuracy and game stopping performance. Black Hills Ammunition the power of performance. What if there is a TV channel built for people who love shooting? There is.
Speaker 9: It's called Shooting Sports Life. Once Incredible Firearms, competitive shooting, hunting adventures, self defense training, gun history, behind the scenes, factory tours, world class instructors, and the people who live the shooting sports life every day. Best of all, it's free. Shooting Sports Life is available on smart TVs through a variety of streaming apps, including Local now, Stir and free Live Sports. Learn more or watch Onlineingsportslife dot Com Shooting Sports Life where freedom is a lifestyle?
Speaker 5: All right, Matt, right in.
Speaker 4: Here, Tom Gresham, give you a call eight six to six Talk Gun or Tom Talk Gun. Pretty much open line, so obviously talking about what's going on or what just happened in Idaho with a good guy with gun stopping a bad guy with a gun who was killing people. All right, on the phones. Right now, we've got Matt. He is a Gun Talk employee or worker. He's on team gun Talk on his way back from the Goals gathering.
Speaker 5: Hey Matt, how you doing?
Speaker 6: Tom?
Speaker 5: I am great? So all right, tell people what goals was or is.
Speaker 10: So goals is the Gun Owners of America Leadership Summit, and so what is the third year they're holding this event in this last few years it was in Knoxville. This year it's in Des Moines. And what it does is they have two days Saturday and Sunday of panel discussions and some training seminar. And then in addition to it, they have a small exhibit that goes to it. And I say small because it's open to the public. It's consumer small in comparison to the Nerra Show and the exhibit hall there or Shot Show in that regard, but still it's two hundred exhibitors. So it was kind of a number of brands that showed up.
Speaker 5: So all right, was this was this your first time?
Speaker 10: This was my first one? Yes, first of the three, and then next year they're in Tampa, so probably going to head down to that as well. How was it?
Speaker 6: It was good.
Speaker 10: It was a good barometer to see, like where is the industry at what kind of consumer feedback?
Speaker 6: As well?
Speaker 10: Was curious being in Des Moines Island in the middle of the country, in the middle are you know, the end of fly beginning of August, when it's usually last minute summer vacation before school gets going. It was decently attended, I felt. I mean I was just there Saturday and coming home today. It's still on today. But talking to a lot of the brands there, I was surprised by the positive attitude. Actually, we hear a lot of news about how it's the summer slump, things slowed down. You hear some retailers and some gunshops saying it's really slowing down, customers aren't buying because of the economy. But you start talking to industry people and for the most part, the overall vibe is like, okay, yeah, it was the summer things slowed down, and we feel all right about how things were. A number of companies are saying they've had a positive year still and just more so. More than one company said they've really felt the summer slump the last two weeks. Finally June July, we're fine, but it finally slowed down, which they're like, if that's the case, we're just find it because we know that people travel in August, and frankly, a lot of schools get back going here in the next two weeks as kids go back to school. So so it felt good about it. It felt good to hear people talk about the understanding and the rational that, like, you know, we we're kind of at a new normal with the industry.
Speaker 5: What is the new normal?
Speaker 4: I mean, I should tell people you've been in the gun industry for a long time and you have worked you have worked with a lot of manufacturers and a lot of media outlets, and you understand this, and I mean, these are people you know, So when you say the new normal, what is that now?
Speaker 10: So that's a great that's yes, you're absolutely right, Tom, I kind of Ryan and I get talking about that, and it's I forget sometimes that it's not that common lingo. The new normal in terms of there's definitely seasonality to a calendar year, and so in the last five years, with all that went on in twenty twenty, twenty one, twenty two, and twenty three, really it was just massive sales going on and whatever else, and so the year never slowed down where normal year, you'll see things pick up in terms of retail sales and everything kind of going about September and it ramps up and it peaks out around shots show February, and then it falls off in May, and so you have the summer slump June, July and August because frankly, a lot of people across the entire country it's nice, so people are actually going out and using their product, which is great, it's just that they're not in the buying mood that time. In the last five years, that summer slump really has not been noticeable, where this year it's definitely been seen. That said, we're curious to start the year when with the tax stamp being adjusted and you know, going down to zero. We started the first quarter a whole lot of suppressors were sold and then tapering off and it really kind of slowed down this summer. But At the same time, I'll talk to a number of suppressor companies and they're still playing catch up on certain models of back quarter, certain things. But so the new normal in terms of back to a summer slowdown of retail sales, but the volume is just elevated from where it used to be, and so companies are kind of being able to adjust to that.
Speaker 5: Okay, good, good to know.
Speaker 4: I mean, they had this, you know whatever it was, the Trump bumped for a long time, and they're selling stuff like crazy, and then now.
Speaker 5: They're back the way it has always.
Speaker 4: Been and it has been for decades of pretty typical seasonality, end the whole thing.
Speaker 5: So in other words, they're not panicked at all.
Speaker 4: The gun companies are saying that this is fine and we're going to keep bringing out what we're bringing out.
Speaker 10: Well, yeah, I wouldn't say that across the board for everybody. There's still I would say it's mixed reviews on that. Where it is is what's interesting is the big gun companies are obviously the larger I'll just say when we say gun companies, I'm going to categorize everybody in the industry, not just firearms manufacturers, and so the large companies in the industry, they're not overly worried because they can manage that. The small companies need to manage that a lot better. That's said, when things slow down like this, when firearms sales slow down, accessories and stuff typically pick up. And that has been the case for a number of people. The people that I'm hearing the most success from our optics and accessories and pouches, and yes, suppressors had a huge Q one slowed down, but they're starting to see secondary orders, third orders coming in from retailers, so they're starting to pick back up on that case. But it's just not at the crazy volume it is. And part of that is is because people aren't feeling pressed to have to go by a suppressor because the turnaround time is so quickly now in a matter of days rather than weeks and months like it used to be. So now people can pick up a suppressor whenever they want, versus feeling the press to like I need to get my stuff in because I'm waiting. So what's going to be interesting is to watch in the next forty five days what the suppressor sales do, because as we lead into hunting season, if anybody wanted to use it for hunting, they would have placed their order back in like March or April typically. Right now, they can literally walk in on September sixth and say I'm going to buy this suppressor, and they can have it on September eighth and we go hunting with it. Right we're in.
Speaker 4: A place maybe where a suppressors are almost an impulse item, and the impulse buy.
Speaker 10: Well, there's a couple out there as priced as so many suppressors come out in our the lower tier pricing structure. Absolutely, Tom, I would agree with that. They're becoming an impulse buyer. It's like, oh, yeah, now I can have more than one and put it on this gun and that gun.
Speaker 4: When you say lower price, give you an idea, I mean, because we used to think an eight hundred thousand dollars for suppressors. How low are they getting Now?
Speaker 10: There are suppressors in the five hundred dollars range, and there I know of a couple of companies working to move that needle down to three hundred dollars. And the idea of the three hundred dollars suppressor, they make no bones about it in terms of yeah, it's three d printed, and the idea is this is the person's entry into it, so they aren't because we want to get more people buying suppressors so they feel comfortable with what they are and how they operate. And so if you take one thousand dollars off the table and now it's three to four hundred dollars instead, it's a much easier I'm going to try that first one, or I'm going to go buy two of them and put them on multiple firearms.
Speaker 4: And we know going in, this is not a ten thousand round suppressor. That's not for that, you know, when you need that or spend the money. This is for the guy who's going to go out and shoot some out of it, maybe as bolt ax, maybe as they are. But you know, it's like you say, you stick your toe in the water, all right, So your overall impression of the goals meeting?
Speaker 5: Is it worthwhile?
Speaker 4: Do you think for the consumer, for the person who's listening to this to make the trip.
Speaker 10: I do think it is. It's good because it's that time of year where there's not necessarily a whole lot of new stuff, but anytime you can get here and understand two things. One obviously you can get your hands on a lot of good product and see some things. And there's a lot of smaller companies here, some major manufacturers, but a good mix of smaller people to see some really cool stuff. I encourage listeners to go to our Facebook page because Ryan and I were capturing video and from a couple of different places and some really good stuff. But there's some really good meetings that go on so people can understand, like different legislation that's taking a lot of second Yeah, yeah, that way.
Speaker 5: So I got a scowed.
Speaker 4: I know you're on the road and I appreciate you pulling over and taking time to give us a little update here on the goals thing. Matt Johnson from our Gun Talk crew, thank you, sir, and look drive safety.
Speaker 5: I appreciate it. Good stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you can make it to the goals gathering next year, I think you said it's going to be in Tampa, worthwhile. Interesting Second Amendment information in the seminars as well as new product. A lot of cool stuff there. This is interesting. I mean, hey, this Gun Owners of America put this thing together.
Speaker 5: Good on them, all right, give me a holler at eight.
Speaker 4: Six six Talk Gun that'll get you in here or Tom Talk Gun. I have Tom Gresham.
Speaker 5: This is gun Talk. Now.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you what this is important stuff. What's going on? What are you carrying and how are you preparing? Hey, welcome back to gun Talk. Tom Grasham eight six six Talk Gun or Tom Talk Gun.
Speaker 5: You know drill. Easy to get in here. We're looking for your calls today.
Speaker 4: And you got a call right now coming in from Darren and I believe in uh Ohio.
Speaker 5: Hey, Darren you there, I.
Speaker 11: Am here and that's correct. I'm been Akron are Akron, Ohio area. Okay, was calling in. I heard you guys were doing the shotgun class with Greg Ellafritz and I thought i'd give you a range report.
Speaker 4: Oh great, Yeah, we're doing more of those experience things with the Bonelli folks, and we're bringing in Greg to do an instructor thing with Chris.
Speaker 5: And you know Greg.
Speaker 4: But I think maybe a lot of people don't know his name and don't really know what he does. But I gather you took a class with him.
Speaker 11: I did back in June. I took a close quarters instructors class with Greg. That was fantastic. And I've trained with Greg before. He's a retired Ohio police officer with a huge background, just an amazing instructor.
Speaker 5: So okay, so tell me about the class.
Speaker 11: So the close quarters class was that TDI there in Ohio was the Tactical Defense Institute in Ohio, and it was worked on things like close quarters combat, drawing and firing at close distance with a close distance attacker, disarming the attacker, and really just working in very close distances with people coming after you with the realization that a lot of this stuff is going to happen at three yards and less. And the interesting thing and why I called on this was you had a collar a week or two ago. Colin asked about the comped echalon.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, because there's always this controversy about comped or non comped for self defense guns.
Speaker 11: And the reason that I thought about this was that Greg actually in the close quarters class, didn't allow us to have ported or comped guns because a porter or a comp gun is either going to throw a lot of fire out or actually, like a ported barrel can shave off some of the jackets from the bullet. And actually, if you're shooting with the gun, some sort of an index close to your body is going to throw some of the jacket possibly back into your body or even your face, and he said that that's actually very bad to do that for obvious reasons. You don't want to take a jacket to the face if you're defending yourself.
Speaker 4: And the idea being just for people understand what we're talking about. You're not extending the gun out in front of you. Actually you've got the pistol back probably he actually even pressed against your side so that the muzzle is directly underneath your eyes. And if it's shaving lead or jacket or something through this port and throwing it straight up, you could, in essence, frag yourself.
Speaker 11: And that's exactly what can happen. And Greg calls it a thumb pectoral index, where you actually have the gun, you know, gripped up against your pectoral muscle with your thumb sort of pushing it off of your body a little bit. And one of the people in our class, their first gun went down and they had to go to their backup, which was a ported gun, and sure enough he had a little bit of jacket spray him in the face. While we were again shooting with the gun basically underneath your armpit. Almost I hope he didn't get out. He was fine, but it was a wake up call of why we were told don't do this. So, you know, when you had the collar questioning should I get a comper reported gun for concealed carry? I guess my answer to that is now, for what little I know.
Speaker 5: Okay, so let's go back to training with Greg Elfretz.
Speaker 4: You have to take other classes obviously, and we're going to have Greg down at our place. If you were to explain to somebody why you would want to take a class with Greg, go from there.
Speaker 11: I don't know that I've ever met a more personable instructor. That's just darn fun to work with. Greg's experience as a police officer and talking about, you know, situations where they've had to pull guns on people in close distances and disarming people and his experience from that was just second to none. And I've taken a lot of classes over the years from a lot of big name instructors and it just Greg has a fun way of doing that. And again, the Benelli class just sounds really exciting. I wish I could make it down your way to do that.
Speaker 4: Well, you know the problem is we can't go to all the classes we want to go, can't.
Speaker 11: We that's a problem and my wife puts up with me doing too much. Honestly, you sound like you're very much like me.
Speaker 4: I freally admit I have become a shooting school junkie. I like to go to a number of classes at a number of different places because no matter where I go, I'm going to learn something.
Speaker 11: And that was the thing with the close quarters class from Greg. I've taken other classes from him before, and that one just really opened your eyes to some of the things that you don't think about when you're in close distance with an attacker and you know all the different ways not only you know they can hurt you, but you can hurt yourself if you do it incorrectly.
Speaker 4: Well, and it also points out that and I would love to get your take on this, this close quarters work, bringing a gun in really close shooting a target. That's we're talking about touching distance where you can reach out with your other hand touch.
Speaker 5: It really isn't something you should try to teach yourself.
Speaker 11: No, and you know, and I've been doing this a long time, and he pointed out, even you know, the where is your support hand? And you know, don't let your hand get in front of the barrel. If you're trying to push somebody off of you, you need to still pay attention to where your hand is, your elbow is, because it's really easy to shoot yourself if you're not careful.
Speaker 4: Which is kind of the opposite of the whole goal of trying to survive a gunfight. If you shoot yourself, it's a fail exactly.
Speaker 11: And so we worked really hard on how to draw basically one handed, lift your shirt, your cover garment out of the way, and you know, pull the trigger on somebody that's intending to cause you significant harm and not hurt yourself in the process.
Speaker 4: Man, Well, I'm sorry you can't get down to the shotgun class. I'm not going to be able to make it easier because I got a conflict. Because it sure sounds like a fun time.
Speaker 11: It sounds amazing, and I hope to pick up Greg's shotgun class somewhere else at some point in time, but it's just not going to come with a cool shotgun unfortunately.
Speaker 5: Hey Darren, great range report. I appreciate you calling in. Thanks Tom, have a great day. All right, let's stay on the phones. Grab Howard out of o'calla, Florida, Howard.
Speaker 4: You're still there, sir, Yes, I am perfect.
Speaker 5: You got a range report for us?
Speaker 6: Yes, I do.
Speaker 12: I went to the Tampa gun show and purchased. I was looking for the cold Python stainless four and a quarter and found it. And as I was looking around, saying if anyone else had one, I found HK MR.
Speaker 6: Five five six A four.
Speaker 12: I've got the A one and I collected HK. So I said, what would Tom do?
Speaker 6: As well?
Speaker 5: Might as well?
Speaker 4: Right, I don't care if it cost your money. Hey, it's not my money, right, that's right.
Speaker 12: Well, it's not a cheap rifle. But so I got both of them for a pretty good price. I made a package deal with with the seller or with the company the store, and yesterday I got a chance to take them down and shoot them at the local range here. I put a a night Force one to eight LPVO. So I've got some good money in that rifle right now. First group, I zirled at thirty six yards because I've been reading around and seeing what a good zero is now and it seems like thirty six is one of the ways to go. And you could cover the first group with a small dime. It's probably three quarters of an inch out to out, and then after that I made my adjustment, got it to where I needed to be and went out to a hundred and I'm.
Speaker 6: Probably at.
Speaker 12: Maybe three quarters of an inch, but that's probably me rather than the rifle at one hundred and with the Cult Python, that's just that I'm not a revolver guy.
Speaker 4: Well, where you're shooting the revolver single action or double action, I tried.
Speaker 12: Both, and I tried thirty eight special and three fifty seven and I've got the GP one hundred and six inch in three fifty seven. Man, that two inches of mel doesn't make a difference.
Speaker 5: It definitely does.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but the Python has such a smooth trigger pool it is Jerry there, just delightful.
Speaker 6: And it does.
Speaker 12: But one of the main reasons I called is I wanted to know see if you or someone else who's listening can help me out. I took a brand to the last carving course down at range Ready and it was zeroed straight on at twenty five, but at one hundred it was shooting way high. And I didn't think too much of it at the time because it was the class and you know, whatnot. And I took it down yesterday to confirm that, and I am right on with about a quarter inch group at twenty five, and then at fifty I'm about two and three quarter inches high with about a two inch group, and that's probably me. But then at one hundred it jumps up to like eight and a half inches at one hundred and I cannot figure out what's going on. So this should not move that much.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, it certainly can. I guess. The question is, now, do you have an optic on it? Are you shooting iron sight?
Speaker 12: I do?
Speaker 6: I have a Repo one four, Okay.
Speaker 4: So you probably have a fairly high scope mount. I'm just going to make a guess here, because if the scope is mounted high, then you've got a more of an angle between the line of sight and the line of fire.
Speaker 12: So I use a cant I've got an arrow precision cantil Eva site.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and hights over barrow is probably.
Speaker 12: Three and a half four inches and let's straight on.
Speaker 4: It angle No, No, but that's very high. That's what I'm saying is your scope is mounted much higher than your barrel, and the only way that they can shoot to the same place at twenty five yards is for and you don't see it, but the barrel is angled up a little bit to be able to intersect the line of sight at twenty five yards. Well, that means that bullet is actually rising at twenty five yards and it's keep going up at one hundred. That's a very normal situation. If the scope was mounted lower to the bore, you would have less of a difference at one hundred yards. It's simply an angular thing. So the question then becomes, given your setup, you got to figure.
Speaker 5: Out where do I want to be.
Speaker 4: I'm going to suggest siding in to be an inch low at twenty five, maybe an inch and a half low at twenty five, and that's going to put you about two and a half to three inches high at one hundred and that's very workable.
Speaker 12: Okay, But right now I'm shooting high about eight inches, So that would be what you would consider.
Speaker 4: Normal, yes, for for your setup. Yes, that is a very normal that's purely mechanical. It's nothing wrong with the setup. When that scope is mounted three and a half inches above the board, that's simply what you're going to get.
Speaker 5: That's just physics. There's nothing more than that.
Speaker 12: Okay, well I will make those adjustments and if if I'll call you.
Speaker 4: Back and let you know, let me know how it works out. Good, and congratulations on the new acquisitions. Well done, might as well.
Speaker 12: Right, yeah, I'm going anyway, so you.
Speaker 5: Know, there you go. I understand it. It's all good. There you go. I like it, very good.
Speaker 4: Call.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: When you mount a scope, I mean think about this. If the scope were on the same exact same line as the barrel, then there would be no you know, shooting high, shooting low. But as you raised this scope above the barrel, you got the line of sight. And the only way for that bullet to intersect the line of sight from starting way below the barrel is for the barrel to be tilted up. You don't see it, but it's a little bit, but that bullet is actually rising and intersects the line of sight at twenty five yards, but it keeps rising as it goes past that, and when it gets to one hundred yards, it's six or eight inches high. Now, if the scope was mounted one and a half inches off the barrel, the difference one hundred yards would be much less. This is a normal thing, and that's one of the issues with mounting a scope that much higher than the barrel is you're going to get that kind of offset. And like I said, the way to work around that is simply have a lower impact setting so that your point of impact is lower twenty five yards. That's assuming you want to be on it a one hundred yards. One of the things we always have to figure out is where do I want this thing to be hitting out? Do I want it on at twenty five do I want it on at one hundred yards? Where's it going to be? It's why on our hunting rifles we often say, well, site three inches high at one hundred and then you'll be on out to two hundred and fifty to three hundred yards. And I have to about drop or anything else. It's just the ballistics. It's the trajectory of the whole thing. Okay, you know I'm going to come back. I want to talk about something. I went to arrange actually a couple times this week. Once I took I took four four rifles out, took the getting Ready hinting season, took the two fifty seven Roberts actally improved. Let's see the thirty odd six three thirty eight odd six actly improved. And then I took this brand new and I've talked about that I've got. I had never shot it before. It was a three seventy five H and H and had a bunch of fun with all of them and got them.
Speaker 5: All on target.
Speaker 4: The I had forgotten to take my little pad, my past pad for my shoulder because that three thirty eight odd six is a super lightweight rifle. It's a Melvin Forbes rifle and it kicks like a devil. And first time I shot it went out, Okay, you gotta do something because I don't have my pad on. I took one of the soft rifle cases and draped it over my shoulder and used the padding, and the soft rifle cases by padding worked like a charm. Solved that problem. That worked just great. And you know, I don't worry about recoil when I'm hunting. I never feel it, but if you're going to be out of the range pounding away for a while, it does add up. And there's no need to actually create a flinch. We want to avoid that if at all possible. So I had a bunch of fun with that. Then I shot the Dan weston DWX nine millimeters pistol and the brand new to me because Colt said, look, you got to try this. This pistol and it is the is from Colt from their custom shop. It's called the Custom Carried Limited and it's a commander sized nineteen eleven and nine millimeters. They don't make a lot of them, and I gather they kind of are a little bit hard to come by. It is a thing of beauty. I was when I had Mark Raddle on the show. Here from Colt, oh, I guess a month or so ago. He said, Man, he says, you really ought to try this thing. So okay, send me one. We'll try it. I'm afraid this is going to be one of those where I end up telling them, you know, guys, you're not getting it back. Just send me the invoice and see what we could work out here. That's just how it's going to work. This thing shoots like a target gun. It's amazing.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 4: They put a lot of aftermarket parks. They got some chin parts, some EGW parts in it. They've done all the things you need to do to make it a terrific carry gun. So I used it in the Steel Challenge. I shot yeah, it's a carry gun, but man, it's incredibly accurate.
Speaker 5: Shoots really well. Even though it's a Series eighty trigger. The trigger is very good, all tuned up, ready to go.
Speaker 4: I did have a few break in issues because you know, you don't generally take a gun like this to a match. You only have twenty rounds for it, and I did, and I have a two or three stove pipes, a couple of other you know, battery didn't go back into battery after the first fifty or one hundred rounds. It ran like a top which would be normal. Shot it well for me, which is okay. You know, I'm not a top competitive shooter. I'm not even a great good competitors here that I'm thinking of it, I'm not even a competitive shooter.
Speaker 5: What have you been shooting? Eighty six six talk gun?
Speaker 4: You know this shooting in Idaho yesterday the twin falls. So the bad guy is shooting people with an AR shooting through their windshields, and you got a good guy with a pistol. Turns out it looks like an FN five point seven with a suppressor. He's all trained up, he does this stuff. He's serious about this. He's got you know ars and pistols and things, and he carries the believe or not carries the FN five point seven pistol with a suppressor and a shoulder holster. Now it looks like in the video he may have gone to his trunk to pull this thing out, which brings us to the question of a truck gun or vehicle gun. Wouldn't you rather in that situation? I don't know how far he was, having to shoot thirty yards, fifty yards, whatever it was. Would you rather have a rifle or even a pistol caliber carbing. I mean, I'm thinking about a pistol caliber carbing and ten milimeter much easier to hit something, have more power out there. But did again heal anything is good? Then you say, okay, some things are better.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I would rather have a rifle for that. And it wouldn't have to be an ar. It could be a lever action. You could be a thirty thirty. He could be a forty four magnum in a rifle with iron sights. I would feel much more comfortable shooting in something at the distance. Having said that, I was mentioning this cult custom carry limited pistol. It's a commander size that I was shooting yesterday at the Steel Challenge. This thing shoots really accurately, and of course there are a lot of pistols that shoot accurately. Does not have an optic on it at all. I'm shooting iron sights. There were a couple of stages situations where we had light coming in from behind the target shining toward us, and it made it for me difficult to see the front sight. It's a regular tritium site with a white outline around it. If it had had a fiber optic side, it would have been easier to see, I think, or maybe even with a gold dot, which I like a lot. I don't know. Optic would have taken care of that. I get that. But with all that having been said, I had no trouble at all hitting a steel target. Probably you'd call it a man's size steel target at thirty five yards, drawing as quickly as I can and getting on target and pressing the trigger.
Speaker 5: And therein lies the key.
Speaker 4: Taking an extra moment, whatever that moment is, and working on the trigger. Don't you don't shoot fast, draw fast, shoot good, Take that extra moment to take a really good trigger press and if you work at it if you say I'm going to learn to do this, maybe go get some training. Huh, there's a thought. There's no reason most of us can't be hitting a steel target that size of thirty five yards, which means we can in fact engage a bad guy at distance. I mean, think about Eli Dicken. He's in the mall. Guy comes out with an ar to kill people, and Eli pulls his block out with iron sights, just a rigular, plastic, fantastic gun. He shoots this guy forty two yards, hits him more than once, closes the distance, intu a few more times, puts him down, puts the stop to the whole thing. You'll hear people still today will tell you what you know. The guy's got a rifle, you got a pistol. You don't have a chance. That is so untrue, demonstrably untrue, proven yesterday, proven by Eli Dicken, proven by any number of people. Jack Wilson in the church. I mean, just go on and on, people, good people with pistols who know how to shoot, stopping a bad guy no matter what the bad guy has. But you know you cannot acquire skills in the middle of a gun fight. You need to work on those ahead of time. You need to have acquired those skills. You need to have made the decisions. You made the commitment I am going to carry every single day when I step out of the house, I'm going to be carrying a gun. And it's not gonna be a mouse gun. It's gonna be a gun I can actually hit something with at some distance. There's a place for the mouse gun, but it is limited. Maybe the place for it is that a backup to the other gun. I don't know.
Speaker 5: What do you think, Give me a call.