Speaker 1: Was talking with my friend Vinnie Webb how Wakefield hadn't lost since feb until they met Wigan, the old Cup Kings who got themselves back to doing some Wigan like things. Victories for hule Kr, Saints and the Wire. Let's see who can set Wembley on fire. So many clubs looking for a coach. The issue in North Wales is one we will broach. Welcome to the seventeenth episode of Super League three sixty, a podcast primarily about the top tier of British rugby league, but we may go in some different directions, such as North Wales. My name is Lee Addison.
Speaker 2: And my name is John Davidson.
Speaker 1: I am a coach in Australia who hosts also the Rugby League Coach podcast appear on Zero Tackles Loose Carrey. You can find me at Rugby League Coach dot com, but au John's a journal.
Speaker 2: In the UK, you can get me in the Eyepaper, in League Express, the Guardian and sometimes on the BBC.
Speaker 1: Just everywhere in England. This podcast is also being played on the Ash Rugby League podcast platform, the Rugby League Coach podcast platform, as well as Rugby League Coach YouTube channel two. So if you subscribe to those you won't miss a thing. Also, thanks to Rugby League dot Com, you are also taking this podcast each Friday. I believe John, we've just discussed we're going to do after the Hohoter this week on Friday, so Saturday morning Australia time, because you'll be at Huddersfield versus Leads.
Speaker 2: Love a bit of West Yorkshire derby with six thousand people on the game six you've been okay seven, Maybe Leads might bring a thousand or two.
Speaker 1: Say four Cup semi finalists and Wigan Warrington who ky Are and Saints and the drawer has happened very quickly and ok Are will play Wolves and Saints will play Wigan on the weekend of the ninth and tenth of May in the Challenge Cup. Which is why we didn't do an after the Hooter this last week. John, your tweet of the week is going to lead into the first subject you can tweet John at Johnny D Day at Johnny D. Davidson. The gas lighting of players and fans in rugby league in the UK continues ad nauseum. John tweeted my Lee's laughing the Rugby League tweet of the week was Rick Andrew who said in whose mates will be promising a bridging loan? Don't worry. That was in response to Christen and In who being appointed as coach of North Wales Crusaders and Johnny's jab I'll let you talk about that because you wanted to talk about clubs going bust, so please.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I can't remember what I said the job was going to be, but.
Speaker 1: Ignoring people who think club's going bust is nothing to know the Rugby Football League.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean I think it's multifaceted. When I mean, it depends on the circumstances, but it's multi faceted when a club goes bust. Like you know, the Salford Bread Devil situation had many elements to it and we went through that, didn't we last year or in the year in the podcast. I think the Featherstone one did as well. The North Wales one is ongoing. But you know, the RFL doesn't run the clubs. You know, it's not making the decision a sign player X for this amount of money whether they can afford that or not. And I've never said they did. But the RFL governs the sport. They have to approve these owners to take over clubs and their track record when you look at North Wales, when you look at Salford, you know so many clubs Toronto. I mean, yeah, their compliance department, the checks and balances is a joke, and they have to actually take action when these clubs go bust and have to provide a system or a competition where these businesses, these clubs can actually thrive. But they don't seem to do anything. They're just like, oh, it's nothing to do with us. And then when they do go bus, they don't comment and the players get no support, they don't get paid, they go to the RFL, there's no players union, they don't get any support. And I know this because I speak to them and I've spoken to their partners. And the fans get treated like shit as well. You know, happen to the Selford fans, happen to the Featherstone fans because the clubs themselves don't come out and be honest about what's happening, and most of the media coverage is quite this poor and doesn't actually push to get answers, and the RFL doesn't say anything either. So that's what I mean when I talk about the gas lighting of players and fans. They get treated very, very poorly.
Speaker 1: Something occurred to me over the weekend as I was putting this podcast running Sheet together. Maybe the RFL want these clubs to go bus.
Speaker 2: Why would they wanted to go bastly.
Speaker 1: Natural attrition? Maybe they are looking at the fact that in the twenty first century, and I'm definitely playing Devil's advocate here and probably giving some people too much intelligence, maybe they're thinking, in the twenty first century, if you're going to make a professional sport from scratch, you wouldn't have this model, and you probably wouldn't have a club right next to Manchester City and Manchester United in Salford, who you're trying to have a Super League franchise, you probably wouldn't have the expense of so many teams in what were the too lower tiers, but now one here. Maybe they're happy for natural autrition just to take place.
Speaker 2: All right. Personally, I don't think that's the case, because when you look at the expansion of League One, which I can't think came around twenty fourteen twenty fifteen, and I came off the back of the forty million TV deal which was the largest forty million a year TV deal for I think seven years, and niger Wood, credit to him, got for the sport a lot of that money. There was a number of new League One clubs in I think there was Northampton who never played a game. There was Glouster, there was Oxford. There was a big push to expand the game. You know, we had London Scholars and then later on down line we had Cornwall and South Wales and North Wales and virtually all those clubs are gone now. Scholars are gone, Cornwall are gone, North Wales could be gone the end of this week. Gloster and Oxford are gone. Northampton, as I said, never play the game. And part of that sort of the leadership of the arapat with Tom which was Ralph was Ralph Rimmer was the deputy CEO and niger Wood was the CEO. That to me and you can this is reflected in the votes for the council when you look at the major decisions, was a bit of a power play and niger Wood and Ralph l were very good going around and pressing the flesh with all these small club owners and basically you know, like politicians do you know, kissing the babies they were very good at winning votes, buying votes, however you want to put it, garnering support. And then if we look at the recent vote for the chairman of the RFL, Niger Wood, it was only what three Super League clubs have voted against him and two Championship clubs and you could argue that York controls the Newcastle votes, so it was only really one and that was so it was interesting that they all voted for niger Wood. But the fact that they're all dying off and the TV deals shrinking.
Speaker 1: So that was the key in your answer. So will you describe something that happened well over a decade now in terms of that the TV deal a decade rugby league seemed an amazing sport in the UK compared to what it is now quite frankly, over a decade ago, and the TV deal has gone down, so there's less money to put around all these clubs, and there's less money to pay for referees and less money to pay for let's play for everything everything. Yeah, and that again, as soon as you said that line, I thought you've added to my theory. And then you talk about the votes, Well, aren't the hasn't Ward and his team. Haven't they got the control that they saw now not locked in? And then have they not got a mostly consensus around what's left anyway?
Speaker 2: I think the element to add there was so when when when Wood was kicked it out in twenty eighteen and then Simon Johnson came to the top jour and obviously there was the split, so you had Super League was split from the RFL. Well, for him it was still very good at going around all the different championship in League one clubs. Simon Johnson never did that, and I think he's got a lot of criticism and was never close to you know, your Batley's, your Featherstone's, your Deewsberries or niger Wood you know goes out for curries with them and you know that. I think that is a very kind of political strategy to garner specific support and I think that's continued on to now. Now there's probably less support for niger Wood now than there was twelve months ago, but he's still got enough support to be in power. But the interesting thing for me is, and I've just read the New forty twenty magazine and there's a piece written by Paul Cannet, the owner of Leeds, who's I don't know exactly how much he's worth, but one hundred and fifty two hundred million construction magnet, and he argues it's really interesting piece. He argues, you know, against the NRL coming in. He's not fully against it, but he argues against it the fact that they want our riches and the NRL is only successful because there's no competity. They don't have pre relafe football and there's no competition for sport in Australia. Now part of that argument is absolute hogwash.
Speaker 1: Anyone the only only country in the world with four winter football codes, and cricket is massive, as you know in the NBL, while it's not massive, still has fairly the NFL. The NFL has been a push in New South Wales for the Super Day to be a public holiday. So yeah, yeah, so Premier League, yeah it's huge.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah. So it's just kind of a nonsense argument. But I see this a lot. I say this a lot from fans in the UK and the thing is, you don't Rugby league in the UK doesn't need to compete with the Premier League because you can't beat but you could be the second option or even the third option in a lot of the markets, it's not even the eighth or the ninth option.
Speaker 1: Rugby league needs to compete with itself. It needs to beat itself first, rather than it needs to be the gremlins within. Right, So let's right, Let's accept that we can't necessarily either of us work out a reason why the RFL haven't intervened. Let's talk about and god, let's talk about what they should do. What should they do? I think I think they should be well, first of all, they shouldn't be reacting to any of this. They should be on the front foot in the weeks leading up to the when it's when the news starts to leak, if they were in touch with their clubs, if they were communicating in the right way with their clubs at the not the niger Wood level, having a having a having a Ruby Murray. I'm talking about you know, operators at the RFL who were checking in with the clubs and finding out what's going on and et cetera, et cetera. There'd be ahead of the curve on this and maybe a month, maybe two months, maybe three months and be listening to what's going on and saying, right, how can we help you owners of North Wales. How can we help you owners of Salford with your bridging? How can we help you? You know that's that's what we ever expect, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it never happens. I mean I've been covering the sport in the UK for thirteen years and the attitude consistency is don't say only think, look away, pretend it's not happening. Yeah, there's just the thing. The thing why I don't agree that they are trying to ensure that clubs die is because the negative publicity that it generates and that you actually get more coverage. You look at a collapse of Featherstone and what happened at Salford. That was the running story all last year. There was like massive headlines, you know, full page spreads the national newspapers. You know that massive games, Grand finals and that don't get that coverage.
Speaker 1: But John, John, what's what's worse publicity? Let's say no publicity? Yeah number one. Number two. Let's say five clubs die, Those five clubs die naturally, or those five clubs get caught from the league structure. Which one brings the most most vitriol on which one brings the worst publicity, and I think it's the latter. So so I'm not I'm not letting go of my theory yet that they could be just letting attrition happen to streamline the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't. I mean you can, you're in tonal to your theory, but I don't. I don't agree with you. I think it's more den incompetence than anything else and a lack of strategy.
Speaker 1: And it, don't get me wrong, I think we're talking about strategy from incompetent people don't, so I think we're in agreement. Actually, so in terms of in terms of North Wales, they did end up on the field this week and things mustn't be great there because even Keighley managed to beat them very heavily. So there's I've seen somewhere that somebody has paid them to play this week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's my story. Really, you've read my story today. I didn't read your story. I saw the tweet and I'm not reading that crap. How harsh. Yeah, Look, I mean I think stuff's been going. I think it was in November last year there was a couple of players coming out saying that they were owed money they hadn't been paid, and then it's continued on this year. Basically I think every month had been paid late and then I think they were due to be played at the start of April four April, they weren't paid. They still haven't been paid. They refused to train. I'd spoke to people at the club players who were basically saying, you know, if we don't get paid, we won't play. And then I got information. Now I know who paid the players, and I can't you know. I was told on the condition that they didn't want their names published, but they made a donator.
Speaker 1: We won't mention Phil cup One's name on here.
Speaker 2: It's definitely not him. They made a donation to and not the four months wages, but to ensure that this Keithy game went ahead. So some of the players played, not all of them. The players and North Wales have been told by the club that will be paid tomorrow, that is Monday. Those players don't believe that will happen, and some people are saying that the couple go bus next week.
Speaker 1: Now and this and this is the horrible thing about it. This is the bad thing because some of these players, what they will do is they'll get cocked around by this. They will then some of them will try and find another club, but some of them will just walk away from the game and they won't play it again because some of them will have been through this before somewhere well. And it has real it has real life implications on mortgages and yeah, people dropping hills and fuel bills and mortgages everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the whole thing. The whole thing happened at Sulford last year and a couple of players retired. I feel really sorry for Chris Hankinson because he went through it at Featherston and then he went through it at Salford and went through it at Salford Leeds. At least he's getting paid. But yeah, this is the guest lining of the players.
Speaker 1: Let's get ready for Saint Helen's to fold because Paul Roll is there.
Speaker 2: Well I didn't say that. I don't think that's going to happen.
Speaker 1: But no, no, But my point is he he was at too, he was at Toronto, coach at Toronto, he was a coach at Salford and so how he keeps his pecker up after that is amazing really too.
Speaker 2: But the thing with North Wales the future. Look, I'm working on a story that involves them. They probably will be out my day on Tuesday. It's a fairly major one, so I can't really talk too much about about that right now. But things are obviously happening. There's a wider play there and well none of it's good basically.
Speaker 1: Yeah, talking of upheaval, talking of carnage, talking of changes. There's at least four Super League clubs looking for a coach now. So the first crack, the first card dropped last week. I think John Cartwright was shown the door at the end of the year. M and Whull left c therefore need a new coach. Sorry. The first actual card was Willie Peters the week before saying he was going to PMNG. And then we have Joel Tompkins has gone a wall at Catalans Dragons and who's the other club, Udderfield? That was it. That was the first card to for I've messed up what I thought was an excellent way of.
Speaker 2: And you could say bred Arthur's future beyond this year is results.
Speaker 1: You know, you know why I've messed it up. John, It's because you've put me on the morning shift again. Not only that you were late for our morning shift by three minutes, and you've really impacted me because Manchester City played Chelsea and I can't sleep when man City are playing in the middle of the night. And I actually wanted to watch that game and I ended up watching some of it, so that's why I messed that up.
Speaker 2: So I was late because I was interviewing a source. So I'm very sorry.
Speaker 1: I don't care whether it's hp U, tom Ato Mate, whatever source. But yeah, so so four clubs maybe five looking for a coach, Well, do I need to come back over John and off of my services?
Speaker 2: Well, clearly. And you could say Sam Burgess doesn't have a contract for next year this so that's not a it's not like he's going to get sacked or anything obviously, but yeah, I mean that's another fluid situation. So yeah, it's it's it's interesting. And then when you look at mainly looking for a coach, aren't they st Georgia Lawa, I mean.
Speaker 1: Will will be. Yeah, I think he might be looking for one. So yeah, I think fours in a row. Yeah, I think Belly eight might decide times. Look, anyway, let's go back to Super League. We've got some questions that relate to this. Oli W Clark, that's a very posh name for rugby league. What do you make of the Steve ma namaras situation? Will he go before the start of twenty seven? Carl has said no approach has been made at the fans for him. If he does go, likely candidates for Wire as new assistant coach or coach if Sam golds. At the end of twenty twenty six, Rugby League Fan Club said please discuss the John cart right the departure, So let's go with hule kr first. So for those who don't know, John Cartwright was told he wasn't What did I say? Guys don't record better when it's a bit later all FC John Cartwright was shown the door at the end of the year. Two of his family tweeted that he was devastated. So there was one of those bullshit statement that statements that come out and then reality leaked out somewhere and everybody assumes that Steve McNamara a whole FC boy who we've talked about for the last couple of months, potentially going back to Hull or we originally mentioned Hull k Are and Olie is asking if you'll go before the start of twenty twenty seven, Carl, I assume he's talking about the Warrington Wolfsey or so put some color into that situation.
Speaker 2: First for me, well, the car Rights situation first, I mean, I think we had well we didn't say or I didn't say he was going, but we said he was under pressure.
Speaker 1: What three weeks ago? Yeah, and what did we talked about Steve? What I said was, we're talking about Steve McNamara going back to Hall somewhere. So yeah, we've got no I'll explain what I heard. So I think it was before the Leeds left c game whenever that was, and I heard the car Right was under huge pressure. You know, they were going to get Steve mcnamary and and I was like, well that's big.
Speaker 2: And then you know the implication was if Leeds beat them, and Leeds were heavy favorites of that game, they were going to suck him. Now played great in that game and upset Leeds and obviously you ain't going to sack the coach after all. Well, I'm sure it's happened, but happen very often, does it. And then the next week they beat cat Lands, and then the week after that they lost the derby, and then what was it a day or two after the derby got sat Now, in between that, I spoke to another source who confirmed to me that John Cartwright was on thin ice. Now I'm not really exactly sure what the circumstances were, but it seems to be some sort of breakdown between the hierarchy of the club and John Cartwright. They weren't getting on and clearly they've decided to move him on. And as John cart Wright's daughter, and I think it's his former partner, although she goes by the cart right name Suzanne cart Wright on Facebook, I think it's his ex wife, but I'm not sure exactly. Both said you know he was going that and didn't see it coming, et cetera. So yeah, the the really interesting thing with this is Lee I was told by a couple of sources that the owner of LFC, and I believe the CEO, we're out in America and the master's big golfence. Now, the claim was that John Cartwright was told of his termination by email. Now I haven't put that to the club, and the club has strenuously denied that. So that's they say that's wrong. But yeah, It's a very strange situation because I think Cartwright did a great job last year. Things have not gone well this year, a lot of injuries, struggling for results. But yeah, I think I think the recruitment at LFC and this has been you know, it worked last year, but I saw a lot of old players, a lot of old players with injuries, and you know, I think the writing was on a wall a while ago when they signed so many senior players and it was like, well, this could work in the short term.
Speaker 1: But I'm going to cut this out and we'll put it in my podcast about and just change the words to Saint George illall Warre. It sounds like exactly the same problems. Let's let's let's look at what's on the table in front of us. So who's firming for the whole k Are job? If anybody I'm talking about whole k Are now, well.
Speaker 2: We didn't well I'll just quickly add to that. So Steve McNamara a bit. I think it's been reported that Holly of C wants Steve McNamara now Warrington. My understanding they're holding firm. He's got a two year deal to go another year to run after this, some people have even suggested that they'd line up mcnamaraon to take over from Burgess at the end of the year. I don't know if that's true or not.
Speaker 1: That answers allays the question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I mean there's still there's still a lot of people saying that McNamara will be the Hordes Sea. I I honestly don't know how it'll go. I imagine if McNamara wants to go, you know, he's got his heart set on and who will end up there. But Warringtons seemed to be holding firm at at the moment and he by allccount has made a big difference at Warrington this year. Steve matter are obviously a very good coach, that leans et cetera. Yeah, okay, okay, yeah that one. My understanding is that the club isn't They're not in any rush to hire a coach. Obviously, Willy Peters is there the rest of the season. They're going quite well at the moment. Michael Ernis is a name that I was told is interested in the job. Now. I spoke to Lake and the CEO he said he has not applied as of yet.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you how that will have come about. Who's Willie Peters his manager and astor Michael and its works for Fox? Hey Graith, do you mind telling him? Do you mind telling? Ok? I am interested in that job.
Speaker 2: Well, as I said, but Paul Aiken has told me he hasn't applied for the job. Yeah, I guess we will. We'll see how that lands. I think I think will have a number of applicants. I mean, I think they'd be mad if if Anthony Sebo wants to job to appoint him. But yeah, I think I think they'll be a numbering. I mean Adrian Lamb I think has been reported in the sound as a contender. I don't know if that's.
Speaker 1: Uddersfield to Adrian Lamb anyone?
Speaker 2: Uh well, I think I think on another podcast, MARKL Monahan has been mentioned. I've not really heard much about the Huddersfield job. Look, I think about out of all the jobs that are available, that's the least attractive for a number of reasons.
Speaker 1: I reckon Ralph rimoral coaching and unleashed is a director of change. So what bigger change can you have than Ralph being the coach? And what's going on at the Catalans John so one news organization said that Joel Tompkins had left with immediate effects and then changed it during the during the day and noticed when nobody else.
Speaker 2: Ran it, what did they change it to?
Speaker 1: And they changed it to set to leave, right, Okay?
Speaker 2: Essentially Yeah, Well, to be honest, the Catalans one seems to have come completely from left field. I think it was the claim was personal reasons, wasn't it. Now. I've spoken a few people who've you know, one person said he's heard four different stories about it. Yeah, personal reasons can mean anything, kind of can't It can mean you're homesick. It can mean you've got a relative who's sick. Anything. It could mean a marriage break down. I honestly don't know, or I know mental health exactly, and hopefully it's none of those.
Speaker 1: I don't like from anything, it could be anything.
Speaker 2: Well, I think Joel conference has not been coaching there for a couple of games. It's been Ryan Sheridan.
Speaker 1: So you know what this reminds me of. It reminds me of how when Steve McNamara was leaving not leaving last year, it came out that he was leaving, but then it was never confirmed by the club. Until literally about three months later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that my understanding is because he was sacked. There is actually I legal there is some kind of legal precedent or rule in France that you can't until an agreement has been reached. The club isn't allowed to make an official court It's quite I believe it's a strange French thing.
Speaker 1: Maybe Joel Tompkins has been sackling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I don't think that's the case, but honestly I can't. I don't know. It's just Cataloans are a club because of their location and because of the size of the rugby leading, but they don't get a huge amount of local coverage under or coverage from the UK. But yeah, it's a real strange one, like right on the eve of their Challenge Cup QUARTERFORI which they got easily beaten apparently.
Speaker 1: And one of the beauties about being French team and being French people is they can quite often decide what English they do and don't understand at key stages as well when it comes when it comes to deciphering messages that are going across the channel. So when it suits them they can they can behind that.
Speaker 2: I think if you look at them In more recent times the coaches have been English. The assistance at the moment of English and Australian, and the majority of their squad what they fall back one wing, one center or at least two maybe two centers. Both their half backs de hook are, a lot of their back rowers are all posities are English or Pacific Islanders.
Speaker 1: So I'm mark Addison's prediction there's been a fallout that has led to you go, mister Tomkins, and it might be the personal reasons thing is being agreed to. I don't yeah so, and then they're doing the French legal thing too, honestly conspiracy theory at this stage.
Speaker 2: I know the cloud Blashie was was a shambles. I know they were supposed to sign another half back, which they never did. I think the new travel cost of what a million euros has hit them hard so they don't spend as much on the cap. There was also the Arthur marg situation where they never offered him a new contract, so he went the whole car and it was great r And then obviously their sacks Steve McNamara, and my understanding is that they didn't even interview anyone for the job. They just gave it to John Tompkins, who'd never been a head coach, so that was bizarre. Paul McGregor wanted the job, was even in France at one point in that purpose at a game, but they didn't interview him. And yeah, it's very strange club. Not really sure what's what's going on over there at the Dragons.
Speaker 1: We've got Honestly, if anybody's listening to this podcast for the first time and they'll think they were never ever going to watch the rugby league in England. It's not like.
Speaker 2: We've got to get onto the Wakefield Wigan Gang because that was probably not seen it leave. I was bloody.
Speaker 1: I definitely haven't seen it because you're making me do a podcast at after clock. But also this is what sets our podcast apart because none of the other podcasts talk in detail about this stuff, right, and none of them none of them give well mate, I can think of maybe one that give serious analysis and thought to what might actually be going on and critique so poetry and poetry, you know. So yeah, Deloitte have been handled to sorry, I have been appointed to handle investment offers for the Rugby Football League and Ben Blackwell, our regular contributor hey Ben has asked if that's appointment is a ploy from Super League and the Rugby Football League to strong arm the NRL into coughing up money for any potential deal.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it's too strong, but it's definitely too properly about. I always told us to properly evaluate an offer from the RL. That's opinion. Yeah. I mean our old commercial are saying they don't have the expertise to.
Speaker 1: Really do that introspection from somebody in rugby league. I don't know. I don't know about that, so I'm going to hire somebody who does.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that's a rare thing. I think we need to praise that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I think the interesting questions would be which I have already put to the r phone and unsurprisingly, three days later, I've had no response.
Speaker 1: Maybe they need to get consultancies on how to answer emails and the phone.
Speaker 2: Well, just a proper media relations department. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean how much a delight getting paid? How long does the appointment go for? Like? Yeah, but they're not. I think a lot of people see it and they're like, oh, well, what's this to do with IMG? You know? They're replacing it. It's completely separate. Yeah, yeah, but it's interesting. Yeah. I think Andrew ab Do. Abdo must be touching down in a couple of days or sometime next week, so we shall see.
Speaker 1: Great segue this because the RFL CEO interim is now going to move to Saint Helens. So you tried to get us started by Wigan. Have you seen how well planned this podcast is job despite the tight time scales of.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's a bit of a as I think I said on Twitter, it's a bit of a left field one.
Speaker 1: Why is it left field? Is a rugby league person? Yeah, he's a rugby league person getting a rugby league job. Why is that left field?
Speaker 2: He's a rugby league person who was out of rugby league for twenty years I think from two thousand and six. Apparently worked in property management, but doesn't seem to have any online profile of what that was or what he did, and then just sort of last year popped out of nowhere as part of the niger Wood Review Group and then was kind of shoehorned into this interim CEO position at the RFL with kind of well there was no as my understanding, I could be wrong. There was no job hunt, no applications whatever. So it was obviously a close associate of Niger Wood, but he was only a pointed on an interi basis. And now he's ended up at Saint Helen's which is a club where Amy Manas is also a close supporter of Nigel Wood. So yeah, maybe I'm putting three and three together and getting fifty three, but seemed a bit of a surprise for me, a bit odd. I don't think he'd run an actual rugby league club since Bradford Balls about twenty two years ago.
Speaker 1: I do think he's been involved at lower levels of the game and internationally as well. I believe not for twenty years. No, I can categorically tell you that that's not true because I had a conversation with him involved in Nigerian rugby league, for example, who were trying to get into a World Cup, and that was within the last twenty years, So it's yeah, you know so. But he definitely hasn't been a ceover club war anything like that. And like you say, there's probably no record of where he's been in rugby league over those last twenty but I think he's been in and around Rugby League. I don't think they just I don't think Nigel would would have just gone through his phone. Who can make the interim?
Speaker 2: See, I don't know about that. I don't know about that league. I don't really.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe he's part of the Curry club. You've had issues over there with the broadcast again Super League Plus whatever that is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well super League Class is the streaming platform that the Super League runs. So basically he was around the Challenge Cup weekend this weekend the quarterfinals. Now they had two games on the BBC, the whole k York game on Saturday and the weekend Wakeful game today on Sunday. The other two games Saint Helen's cat Lands on Friday night and Warrington Lee on Saturday afternoon. We're on Super League Plus. Now, what they did was people can subscribe a superl in Plus of the year, but they made them as pay per view events, so I think you could pie one for about eight quid and the other one for thirteen, or both of them for thirteen or something. A lot of people were pissed off about this. A lot of people were like, well every game, well, these games should be on Freday air and I do get that argument. And obviously, in an ideal world I would be I'd be happy to see that. But the simple fact is, I mean I'm pretty sure in recently is the BBC has never shown all the quarterfinals shown never. Yeah, And the simple reality le is a lot of people don't want to hear this, but there isn't the market there to guarantee the ratings or the audience to make it viable for the broadcasters. No, the BBC doesn't want to show all four of them. Sky doesn't want to show all four of them. So if we want the games on, we have to do it ourselves, and obviously we have to charge. Now that's the reality of the sports broadcasting market that we live in at the moment. You know, people don't want to pay. And I understand that I didn't pay. I went to the Warrington game and covered it, but I didn't pay for the Sanhalan's game because I pay one hundred and twenty quide a month for Sky, and I pay one hundred and twenty quid for every year for Watch NROL. Like I think I spend enough on.
Speaker 1: About doing a pay per view for two blocks fighting in the street. Really, well, it's like the Tyson Fury. I don't know if you watch that. I watched that on Netflix. I mean, that was a terrible fight. I'm glad it wasn't pay per view, but yeah, so a lot of people pissed off. And then the point that I think is really crucial is people who paid for it then said it was a crap service. It dropped out.
Speaker 2: It wouldn't. So if you're gonna charge people for a stream, if me and you that's then example, you're going to Womberley and you're getting a stream of the club you coach there, and you're going to charge people five dollars or ten dollars whatever you want it to work. Because it drops people, you've ripped me off. So I think that's part of the problem. And I believe yesterday similar things happened with the Warrington game. The stream wasn't very good, it dropped out. For a lot of people say you've got to make sure these things work.
Speaker 3: And how much are the charging for this service? Well, the service these games were a one off. I think I think for the year a pass which gives you every Super League game is like maybe one hundred and twenty quid a year. Or something like that.
Speaker 2: It's not like it's reasonable, but these games were a one off, so you could buy one of them for e quid or you could buy both thirteen quid. But the thing is with the streaming. And I remember this year, I think it was twenty sixteen when England went down to Sydney and played somehow when Wayne Bennett was coached, and they did a stream that was like three quid and a lot of people got pissed off, but the stream was terrible. It worked for people, so you got to You've got to make sure.
Speaker 1: I remember I remember in twenty thirteen when I was with America at the World Cup and we tried to watch another group game that would that would decide if we were going through to the quarter finals, and we tried to stream it because of whatever TV deal had done. I can't exactly remember. This is twenty thirteen. I think it was Stata or whatever it was for Premier Sports. Actually yeah, but there were some games that weren't on or you could only stream or well yea. Honestly, I would compare it to trying to watch the moon landing in nineteen sixty nine.
Speaker 2: And one step.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well there wasn't even that one small step.
Speaker 2: It was stick.
Speaker 1: It was it was Grainy would not do what we were watching justice basically, and that was twenty thirteen, not nineteen thirteen. So rugby league's got a bit of a history of this anyway. Look for all these news new people to rugby league that think the sports are basket case, one thing that always saves rugby league is the players. So let's talk about the games now. So there was a game between St. Helens and Catalans on Friday. The result was Tristan Sailor fourteen everyone else at Saint Helens twenty two Catalans four. Other tries from Saint Helens were from Murphy, Davis, Dagnall Whitby who scored two and Whitby also kicked a goal compared to Sailors five and for Tarpi scored Catalan's only try. Look, I think what's going on at Catalans is obviously affecting those lads.
Speaker 2: Two.
Speaker 1: They didn't have a bad start to the season. Catalan They've been up and down. Really, they've not been consistent.
Speaker 2: They've had some good performances and some prat ones and I think getting the win over to loose the week before was a was a better one in a tough game. But yeah, I mean the news comes out of your coach has gone the day of the game, You're going away to Saint Helens and Helen's coming off a good Friday, a good Friday derby win. I think most people expected it to be a Ston Helen's winning. It was pretty comfortable.
Speaker 1: Now do you know could you couldn't watch it? Tyro Tyron May Yeah, a Tyrone May hat trick helped ol KR to beat York forty eight ten or The tries came from Sue Broadbent with bred Lewis Burgess. Goals were from Martin who kicked for Lewis kick three and listen, why are so many different people kicking York? They have tries from Harrison and Harrison also it's a goal. I'm starting to get worried about York mate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean again, walking wounded, missing a lot of top players, and you just got to remember they're on half the money of the other clubs, just promoted into Super League, got no academy. Yeah, it's it's going to be tough for them, and it's starting to get tougher. And I think this game was always going to be a whole car win. It would just mattered really depending on how much. And I think the whole asking it scored a minute and thirty into the game and then it was one way traffic. If you haven't seen the Mikey Lewis try, I'm not sure if you have Lee, but go and watch it because it was brilliant. He chips over regathers just before the ball goes out in the deadline, gets it down. Pure moment of brilliant skill. So that was that was a brilliant. But yeah, whole care Look, York could struggling a back big time, doing it tough and whole care where I was told by someone who was at the game that they're in second gear. But you know, another another big wig for them. I smashed in Hounds, I beat HOLLI of c beat York into the cops and we falls there starting to hit a bit of former would say.
Speaker 1: Warrington Wolfstone course for a third consecutive Challenge Cup final and they beat Lee twenty four to ten, which was a bit better for Lee than the forty two six that they got hammered last week. Tries for Warrington by Walker King and Coury scored two goals were four from Snaide Sneid. Lee scored ten and that was Senior and Lamb. What too great surnames there. Senior related to Keith Senior? No okay, Lamb and Cook. Cook's also a famous rugby league. Rugby league as well. They scored They scored ten. I remember Lockie Lamb when he was born. What was that game like? Or was that I was, yeah, and I was at that game. It wasn't look it was a tight contest. It wasn't a great game. There was a lot of errors Lee were riding.
Speaker 2: It was gritty. It was six all a half time right, and then a bit of a turning point when Josh Lewis got sin bin for dissent, which Sam Burgess wasn't particularly happy about after the game. And then Lee went down the field other end of the field and scored when Warrington had twelve men and you thought, oh, here we go, Lee are gonna sneak a result here, and then they kick off and Mulhourne drops it from the kickoff and Warrington score well. Also, I forget I missed the point that Lee's goal kicking on Saturday was horrendous. They missed.
Speaker 1: Not mine, Lee Leopards, not mine. I can kick them from anywhere, mate.
Speaker 2: The Leopards go kicking was horrendous.
Speaker 1: Walk up and kick the blood.
Speaker 2: Yer Mulharn knocks on Warrenton score with twelve men. The momentum shifts and they put on a couple of tries and yeah it was it was a look, it was courageous from Warrington to come back. Showed a bit of heart, a bit of grit to turn that around. I think for Lee Leopards. Adrian Lamb was pretty gutted at the end because his team they had a puppy back which made a big difference, and they had a lot of players back actually and it wasn't improved performance, but they just couldn't get the result. They just kind of shot themselves in the foot a bit of late. So they exit the Cup and Warrington and well I've only one lost one game all of this year and the end of the cup. Sam Burgess likes the Challenge Cup, doesn't he third final in a row? Yeah, look, look Warrenton, it wasn't it. They didn't play, they didn't play well, but look they won and they certainly was convincing. Yeah it was. It was convincing in the end, but it wasn't a great performance. But if you're a Warrington fan, you've lost one game all year, So happy days, I would say.
Speaker 1: And the game you've been so keen to talk about a thriller at Bellevue Wakefield twenty two Wigan twenty six tries for Wakefield Truman is he related to Fred Truman, the bowler, rod Well, Johnston and Scott and three goals from Jowett. Wigan had tries from may Goal, Marshall, Field and Eckersley who scored two, and Kieran kicked three goals. So please talk about this game, John, you've been desperate too.
Speaker 2: Well, I couldn't I couldn't go to Bellvue because I had a family commitment, so I watched on the box and it was just it was just great theater, great drama. It's packed. Bellevue look great on the box. Wakefield when I had twelve nil and you thought, oh here we go, it's going to be a massive apps well, a fair upset, you know, three losses of the Rover Wi Wigan came right back into it, even and up, and then it was you know, for try, there was a lot of nickel in it. Justevanga kicked I think it was Harry Smith got you know, and then pretended he got hurt, but he still got a yellow card which was a stupid thing from him, and there was Yeah, there was a lot of niggle in it and yeah warrnt sorry Wigan you know, basically fought back Wakefield right in it. But just some great some great tries. And the key moment apart from brand O'Neill at the end, who some key defensive stops right when Wakefer looked like they're about to score eight, was Patrick Margo, who I think he came from the canber Raiders, and I think he's originally a Queenslander or of Samoan heritage. He's a big unit. He's you know, he usually comes off the bench and plays, you know, twenty minutes and just runs over blokes and he's having a great season. He gets the ball and throws a cutout pass past three I think three, ye know, from past three of his teammate. It spots the gap on the wait for the left edge and finds Kiraan who draws the winger and puts his winger over and just brilliant bit of skill from a one hundred and thirty kind round Blake.
Speaker 1: I'm having to laugh because I was driving home from to Umba yesterday listening to the Continuous Call team, and you know, Daryl Browlman was on the commentary and somebody playing for West Tigers for a caught out pass and Daryl said, and somebody said to Daryl, did you ever do that? Did you ever do that?
Speaker 2: Daryl?
Speaker 1: He went and he responded, did you ever see me play?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And he said I did it plenty in reserve grade when I didn't care about the result. And Darryl Browleman was a prop.
Speaker 2: So yeah, well he was a very skillful I don't know. Yeah, I remember him as much as I know. He was a very skillful big man, skillful plot but you don't You don't see a lot of middles in the modern game with hands like that or the ability to throw that pass and win a game. And that's effectively what he did. But it was, it was the best game. We always knew it was going to be the best matchup of the four court finals than it was by a country mole.
Speaker 1: Like I said in the Fantastic Poetry at the start. Wakefield haven't lost since February, so big win for Wigham that James Harvey asked us, we're going to the questions now, is there going to be any more Super League player movement? I would imagine there'll be a few lolls.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I look, I think everyone's trying to get players, but there's just hardly any players out there. And unless I'm not sure, is it usually the NRL when they start cutting a few players who become on the market or for next year that maybe someone will come in. But it's very hard for clubs to try and get players. You look at Castleford. They tried to offload Zach sonny weeks ago and then they lost their two fullbacks and now he's playing a fullback every week and they can't get someone in. So it's very difficult. And you know, there's not a lot of players either in the championship or the money to get players either. So yeah, every and every club is doing a tough on the injury front.
Speaker 1: So just get your sorry, get your get your Facebook ready just in case I miss any of these questions when I'm going through because because John's made me get up at Sparrow's fart again, I might have missed some. Craig cecil Winfield asked he would like to talk more around the camera angles and quality of the replays when it comes to the video refer and how it affects the integrity of the game. I think that's a great question from from Craig cecil Winfield. What about the posh names that we're getting on socials. You are Johnny D Davidson, So I reckon that's a great question. I mean I always used to think the integrity of the game in the older Super League days when only two games had a video referee and the rest had in goal touch judges, so that that affects the integrity. You know, one of the key things about a fish. One of the first rules is they've got you've got They've got to try and make sure that the game that happens in let's say Castleford is refereed and official official to exactly the same standards as what may happen in York or in Wigan or wherever. It never is and it never is, it never is. So to that question, what do you think of the video referee angles?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it comes down look I'm not an expert on broadcast, but I think it comes down if we're say, comparing it to what happens in the NRL. They're doing it on so much a lower budget. There's less cameras, no bunker. Steve Mascod wrote a really good piece for Patreon this week, basically saying one of the reasons out in the NRL they kind of know that with the video referee, if they take too long, you're going to get so much heat in the media, not even and you know they'll kick on super Yeah, any scrutiny now, So yeah, look it's not it's not great.
Speaker 1: Look what about the integrity of it? John? That was a question from Crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a tough one. I mean you could say that I can agree with that, Like, how many years do we have where we had two video referees and four non video referee games, so many incidents that never got picked up or tries that were given. I remember I used to watch the highlights and how did they not give been going on for ages? I think I think it is tough. I think with the video referees it may be means it needs to be. Okay, we want the right decision, but try and get there as quickly as possible, because some you do watch a few, and there was one in the Wakefield game today, Tom Johnston scored an outrageous try in the corner. He was nowhere near the sideline. It was slip passing. You know, it didn't need a two minute review. You know, sometimes just let's just have the confidence to give a try and if we are going to review it, just review it very very quickly.
Speaker 1: Kio asked us. He asked us two questions. One was about the NRL, which I'll save for the NRL section, but he did ask who makes a Grand Final in the UK for me, Wigan versus Leeds. I have no idea who would win though, if you're making a far too early prediction now, John, I assume it wouldn't be York And to lose.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, if you're in America prediction right now, you'd probably have Leeds and Warrington. But I think I think Leeds, Warrington, Wigan and howk a are I would expect the two teams to probably come from from one of those. Word. I think it could be Saint Helens, but I'm not being convinced. I'm not being convinced by them this year or the recruitment. I know they've got a lot of injuries and then obviously Lee are struggling. Who else have we got I mean Hall of c and not showing March Catalans have not shown much. I don't think any of the promoted to will be that high up come September. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Did I miss any questions on your Facebook?
Speaker 2: No? I think you got them all.
Speaker 1: Okay, we did get questions about the testing new thing, but we discussed before we recorded that we did cover that quite significantly at the time. So yeah, we're just want to leave it there because there's legal ramifications or not legal ramifications. I don't know legal right, All right, well, we'll just leave it there anyway, but except all we'll say is the optics not fantastic. NRL Penrith loss there unbeaten start John.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't. I didn't say this game, so I'm not really sure what happened. But actually I totally I did see a little bit of it. But yeah, hell of a hell of a effort by the dog. He's have been under pressure. I mean, Canterbury kind of our Penrith, b aren't they They've got an next Penrith coach, next Penrith backraw or a next Penrith center and next Penrith six.
Speaker 1: And in them.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it seemed like a great game. And look, I think everyone was basically saying Penrith give them the title. Now they've already wont it. It just goes to show they're not they're not invincible. They're very, very good team. But you know, you've still got to get down in the grand fall, and you've got to run into some form and you've got to perform in the big moment.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I can't believe I'm saying this, But two of the teams under pressure this week, Well, Dragons, they're always on perennially under pressure there at the moment. But Melbourne Storm four losses on the bounce under Craig Bellamy, I think for the first time since A three when they weren't the Storm that we know them as now. So is that a fact? Is that the first time sink?
Speaker 2: Wow? That's crazy. Yeah, I didn't see this game. Look, I still think, you know, if you Craig bell me there if though I lost another ten in a row, like they're not going to sack him.
Speaker 1: I think what what the pressure is though? To be fair, is has has Craig Bellamy time come to a natural end?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I don't we can judge that yet.
Speaker 1: No, but we can certainly start to consider it as a as a potential stormer down in thirteenth at the moment as the ladder stands. I mean, the problem with the NRL ladder though, is you get two points for a bye? Why would you get two points for not playing a game? I just don't understand that at all, because it just makes the ladder so so skewed with I want to talk about something else, Jo, Sorry.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll talk about the targets. Yeah, the second in the NRL not second? Top are the top? Well? There were there were second when I loved this morning.
Speaker 1: They're actually third. I think we're both throng.
Speaker 2: What are there? One? Four from five?
Speaker 1: Thank on? It pounds at the top. What is the second? West Tigers are third? Nights or fourth? There you go.
Speaker 2: That's what a start. That's that's going to be the best start that West Tigers have had since what twenty eleven?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, apparently fifteen years. Yeah. I think it's just great. It's great to see, you know, Benji Marshall doing well, the Tiger's doing well. Yeah, yeah, those those bands. If you're a Tiger's fan, you have been through it for fifteen.
Speaker 1: Years and again the continuous call team yes, team yesterday said. One of the things about West Tigers is it in the recent history they tended to have not had too many grubby players, so they're actually quite a popular side. There's not many people who hate on the West Tigers per se. I mean, obviously in the old Bow days a little bit different. In the old West Magpie's days may have been a little bit different. But West Tigers are actually quite popular because Benji Marshall was such an integral part of their early years and he's a very very very popular player.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I think it was my own experience Balmain, particularly eighties and early nineties. I think they were quite popular because they just had some They had brilliant players. You know, Has had Junior Pierce and they had Gary Jack and maybe Danny Alas wasn't popular but he was a good player. Steve roach zero, you know, they had they were they were a great team.
Speaker 1: But I'm thinking I started talking about from the general rugby league popular So you might be a Bulldog fan, but you won't necessarily hate the Tigers. You might be a but you won't hate the Tiger.
Speaker 2: I agree. I don't think they're a team that's ever been hated much. And I think I remember the two thousand and five year when they just played out standing in the camp from nowhere. You know it's probably far Benji, Marshall, Scott Prince, you know that were just great to watch and I think I think that, yeah, that was kind of my I'd probably say my second team. I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Balmaine, and yeah, I love to watch Benji as a player and great to say him doing well, good for the good for now.
Speaker 1: Now again, this isn't a NRL phone fest either, because John I turned off. I live in Brisbane. I turned off some rugby league this week. I did twice. I intended to watch some rugby league for a sustained period and I turned it off. And that's because it's turned into a points fest. So let me give you some statistics. This weekend alone, there's been four hundred and sixty four points scored, so that's an average of fifty eight points a game. So on average every game was thirty twenty eight something like that. Okay, on Friday, Manly got to a sixteen mill lead. I think it was I watched this game because of the implications for Shane Flanagan. I thought there was theater around that game. And you know, being imagine Shane Flanagan, a premiership winning coach, a mentor who has been around for a long time, loses his job after losing to a coach who's coaching his second game of rugby league. I think, I think that's a great narrative, right And I knew, Saint George, we're going to come back. Because I know I recognized as a coach for so long that recognized patterns in the game. I know what's going to happen. I tried to watch the Broncos and the Cowboys, and I'm giving you my honest assessment with somebody who rugby leagues in my DNA or it's my blood type. And I tried to watch the Broncos and Cowboys. I thought this is going to be a trifest I turned it off and watch something else, and one of my friends was talking to me as a Cowboys fan, and I said, don't worry your team will come back and guess what happened, and they were going through the emotional rollercoaster, and I kept saying, don't worry that the game will mill bounce back. And then I tried to watch some of Canberra and South the Saturday, and it was twenty l or twenty two four or something at halftime to Canberra, and I thought, well, I'll watch something else. I'll keep an eye on the score and either Canberra will run away with it and score fifty or South will come back. And I turned it back on when it was twenty four to twenty two, right, So this isn't the rugby league that so many of us know, John, I think the strength of rugby league has been if you watch soccer football, you can go now twenty minutes without seeing a goal. Sometimes you can go to three matches without seeing a goal, and the pressure builds waiting for that goal, and then there's a pressure release. You go and watch tennis, there's a point scored every few hits ping pong, or if you go and watch basketball, afl a's points all the time. Rugby league has always had a great balance between the build up of the pressure the release of the pressure, and I think there's probably been something along the lines of, you know, scores like eighteen ten or twenty four twelve. That's a typical sort of rugby league score for so long. There's other things that come into this too. So a couple of NRL games that were played this year where the score lines were like that were played in Las Vegas, where the field is only it's not sixty eight meters with So as a consumer, I love rugby league, but I'm not loving it as much at the moment. I'm actually enjoying watching Super League more at the moment because I think what's happening in Super League is the players aren't as skillful because there's anybody Australian, for example, a lot of them are reserved graders from Australia, and that maybe the ten best English players are already in the NRL. So I think the players aren't skillful. What's happening in the NRL is the players are skillful enough. They have good decision making skills, they have the ability to look up and play because of their background in touch football a lot of them so they're now really experienced with the six again rule and they're playing from the halfway line and taking chances and because of the momentum in the game that's happening because that lower skill level is in Super League. I don't think it's happening yet. Also this time last year, sorry, this time at the Grand Final last year, this time in the first ashes test, the rocks were about three minutes long. So so it's a completely different sports and new sport. I think in a few years time, if we stay on this train, super League will become a points fest because they're the propensity to defend for sustained periods is nowhere near what was in the NRL. But now that propensity to defend has completely gone from the NRL because of this these rule changes, the six again extension and the and the speed on the ruck, and I just don't enjoy the sport in the same way.
Speaker 2: John, I think I think there's quite a few fans in super LEIGU who would say the same thing and say the six again rule is, you know, negatively affecting the competition and that there's a swing too far towards attack and you don't know what why six again is given or for what reason. Who would probably say that, yeah, they're not enjoying Super leiguer A much because of that tie. Yeah, it's an interesting point you make.
Speaker 1: And I don't think. I don't think it's a journey. We're on a train that's not going to stop, right because I read something not so long ago that the Premier League, the financial behemoth that is the Premier League and noticing that younger generations aren't watching a full ninety minute game as much, and they're taking in the minis and the shorter games and the highlights. Well, if you look at an NRL highlights package, the four minutes ones that are on YouTube, for example, all they are is full tries. Now, if they were doing those same highlight packages for an eight to four or a ten six, you'd be filling it with a lot of errors and issues. Now that's the first thing. Second thing, it lends itself more to your tiktoks, your snapchats, et cetera, your Instagram's. Third thing, the Landers is trying to negotiate a TV deal for the NRL, and I think he wants to incorporate both sides of the world. One thing that makes TV deals more lucrative is the opportunity to put more adverts in More tries equals more opportunity for adverts. More tries, more referrals to the video referees, which is another reason why the video referees isn't going to go away. So I think we're in. We're on a train that isn't going to stop quite frankly, and I'm worried about it.
Speaker 2: John. Yeah, I don't think you're the only one there. Look, yeah, he makes some good points. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't know what to say to you there. Look okay, do you enjoy the game as much? Are you?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think, Look, I think I do. I do. I do get your concerned, though, and I think it's definitely valid. And I think a lot of people think and feel the same. Yeah, we don't. We don't. I personally don't want it to be a a trifest they've I enjoy games, you know that might be fifty to forty two, but I don't want to see that every week. I don't want to see that in every game. You know, I grew up with your ten fours and your I can remember an era where it wasn't well it was maybe two decades ago, maybe three, you know, where a team was twelve or sixteen dollar up. That was it. You know, they didn't they didn't lose. Now now you'll see three tries in four or five minutes quite regularly, So yeah, it's definitely changing the fabric. I don't I don't know where we go, As you said, I don't know where we go from here. I don't know what the solution is. I think smaller fields. Well, I think I think when you increase the speed of the game and you allow less rest time for the entertainment value, were obviously going to get more time players, more fatigue, which is going to create more holes, people falling off tackles, which is going to need more tries, isn't it. So look, I think I like I like the idea. I know there was a few people pushing it, but I like the idea of the six men bench, not only for the concussion rule and literally the amount of injuries that we have, but I think it that's actually a good thing as well. So maybe you can keep players and I don't want to go back to the A limit the interchange days, but you can keep players, or you can rotate players maybe a bit better. Yeah, And we can see a variety of players, particularly with.
Speaker 1: Funnily enough the way the game is at the moment in the NRL. So for those who don't consume full matches in the NRL all the time, imagine the World Club Challenge game between who k Are and Brisbane. Imagine that happening in every fixture. Basically is the way I assess it. Unlimited in change would actually help that and ease the burden because the defender. Some defenses aren't even moving up. They haven't got time and they knackered and they're not getting into position. Ko Week scored a worldly try the other day. It was one of the best tries you'll see. But somebody made a point, and I do agree with them. The defense was nowhere to be seen. But you tell me in history when Wayne Bennett's sides that he's had for a year or two haven't been solid defensively. Yeah, and South were all over the show defensively, And I can only put that down to the fatigue in the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, generally, the best defensive team and the competition.
Speaker 1: Wins every year, don't they, But not anymore. I mean the Broncos were the fourth best.
Speaker 2: I was going to say that was probably one of the very few times in recent memory.
Speaker 1: I think it's the second time in thirty years or something.
Speaker 2: And even then that was kind of a remarkable run. How many times they came from behind and then the head that thing, that was a bit of a freak. So whether we say that every year, that will be really interesting in a couple of years time if we see teams with the fourth, fifth, sixth best defense, but maybe the best attack, winning winning coach.
Speaker 1: So on that note, Kyle also asked after this weekend results as the best New Zealand Warriors team since the last time they were in the Grand Final, and are either the West Tigers or the Cowboys title contenders? Can I answer that one first weekend results it's the best New Zealand's Warriors team since the last time they were in the Grand Final? I would stop short of saying that, I think it's too early to make that. To make that call, I think you're getting a bit excited there about them, Kyle. And also, are either the West Tigers or the Cowboys title contenders? I think what I'll say right now is if either the West Tigers or the Cowboys win the comp I'll do the Super League Grand Final week podcast in my undercrackers.
Speaker 2: Well, jeez, that's that's one way to kill the audience.
Speaker 1: Unless they do the audio version. I think the concept of West Tigers coming from where they've been to a Premiership title this year is a bit yeah, I don't. I don't think they look like that kind of side. Yet they go well. And I think Cowboys they've still got some defeats in them because their fullback drink Water has done some great things in the last couple of weeks, but he is the definition of Rocks or Times and that's just one player. Quite frankly, Yeah, I I think they'll both go well. I think they'll both be in the eight, but I don't think any of them are going to win the title. John and you only thoughts and what have said apart from my undercrackers, did the.
Speaker 2: Sorry did that comment? Say the Warriors as well?
Speaker 1: Yeah? He said is it the best side since the one that got to the Grand Final?
Speaker 2: The two of twenty eleven? So I was Sean Johnson coached by Irvan Cleary. Was was a great team. I don't think it's any winning that team and then.
Speaker 1: Stacy Jones still playing them too.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, that was that was Kevin what's his name he went to Salford. It was Sean Johnson, it was Ivan Cleary was coaching. That was a very on the team. Yeah, it was been by mainly in the Groend Final and then the im kind of remember was it two thousand and four or two thousand and three actually I think it was two and three when they lost to the Roosters. That was the Stacey Jones team. Richard Vila say, any Daniel Anderson I think coached him in that grown for they were a very good team that I think you have the.
Speaker 1: Half of the Warriors that day with James Maloney and Sean Johnson.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean James were only great player. Sean Johnson was only a young kid then. But no, the two thousand I think it was two and three. That was Stacey Jones. I think if you line up those rosters, both the one from the two thousands and the twenty eleven rosters are much better than the rosters they have now by far.
Speaker 1: So Next week in Super League Hall left C play Saints on Thursday. Can't see anything but a pull lef C win Sorry, a Saints win that day, No, No, I think that matter to be a tight game I mean, I think there's going to be a response in hole.
Speaker 2: Players refused to try and after the termination. Yeah, I mean they have had a long period off or some elans have had a long turn around, haven't I so they should be fresh. But yeah, I think St Helens will go in to that favorite, even though I think they picked up some more injuries on forrinight. So the way they're going, I think Chris Joydan might be playing for him soon or long.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll just keep him loaning the players. So they beat Whole f C. This is round This is round eight, by the way, to lose, also play Whole k Are on Friday. Danger game for Whole k Are. I hope to lose get a win soon because their season is going into a little bit free for ever since I called them two wins to lose and started getting excited about them, they haven't won to a chuck raffle.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think, okay, win that game fairly easy. I think, as I said, to lose half a central distribution, they've got to play another million euros and travel costs. I mean they've got one point six million, or let's say one point four million.
Speaker 1: They're not paying for dinner mate. They're playing Rugby League and they've had two weeks off and they're at home. M I think it'll be a bit tighter.
Speaker 2: I don't think yeah, I don't think it'll be helped by forty eight points, but I think win.
Speaker 1: Huddersfield are unleashed against Leeds on Friday night. You'll be at that game. You'll be talking to us from the car park.
Speaker 2: I will be Yeah. I think I think Leeds will go into this one's favorites right. And obviously Huddersfield have won two games and the trout have been a lot better last game against the Leeds, but both not in the Cup, so both well rested. I don't think the Leeds have really got any injury issues bit checked for them to. Don't know if they could go top or at least go very close to the top.
Speaker 1: So and I reckon we'll get that podcast out by the time most people who attend that game I've got home. Maybe because we do like to get that out quickly, don't we Just that we're going to try and wait till after the press conference for better signal.
Speaker 2: It always depends when the coach comes in, whether they come in an hour half the game ends or minutes.
Speaker 1: York play Lee.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's an interesting one because they lose, they can't both well unless they both forward. Yeah, I think it's it's a tough one. I think. I think Leeds, I'm sorry, Lee were much improved on Saturday but didn't get a result. Yeah, I think a bit of a flip of a coin, but probably probably Lee the slightest affairs because they are getting some more bodies back. I'm not sure who York will be getting back for this one. Hopefully they fall back and half back.
Speaker 1: On Saturday. Wakefield hosting Bradford Bulls.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's an interesting one. I mean Bradford obviously long turn around because no cap game. Wakefield were pretty good today. I think they'd be really gathered. They didn't get the win because you know that, as you said, I had lost the game. Since feb we're on a bit of a roll. But back at home, I think yeah, I think maybe Wakefield have a bit too much for the Bulls.
Speaker 1: Catalans host Warrington Wolves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think a while win. Yeah, I mean obviously Catland's at home are much tougher prospect, but with what's going off the field, who's coaching them. We don't know, Yeah, warrant to a line high, aren't they?
Speaker 1: And then on Sunday Wigan host cast that that's a repeating a round one fixture? Is that the only one that we've repeated?
Speaker 2: I think so, I don't I can remember. Yeah, I mean Casts were dreadful in their last game. We're going to be you know, they ended they run of two losses, so back at home. Yeah, I mean, I can't really see anything but a Wigan win. If Gats pull off a winning that game, much like Haddasfield did three weeks ago, that'll be a hell of a result.
Speaker 1: You've got a good or a bit well, a big article coming out somewhere, a big story.
Speaker 2: Where will people in your eye paper if not on Monday or hopefully on Tuesday after it's legal, So yeah, keep your eyes peeled for that one.
Speaker 1: Get the eyepaper. You can get John in the eye. You can get me at Rugby League Coach dot com Beta you or at Rugby League Coach. Take care and we'll see you after the hooter on Friday night UK time Saturday morning Australia time. We'll get it out as soon as we can