Speaker 1: Welcome to Financial Issues, where we help you steward faithfully by honoring God with your investments. Now listen in as we give you the practical tools and advice you need to become a biblically responsible investor.
Speaker 2: This is Financial Issues, where we help you defund darkness and fund the light by investing with biblical integrity. On today's show, folks, should you allow your children to have an allowance? Or could that allowance allow entitlement to move in rent free?
Speaker 3: We'll discuss Looking forward.
Speaker 2: To the show today, folks, Sethi Dinsky, Sam Case in the control room and your host Mark Minila Mar Good morning.
Speaker 3: Brother, Good morning, What a what a spiffy topic to talk.
Speaker 2: I gotta tell you how sometimes I impress myself with those interests.
Speaker 3: Mark. You know what's interesting about it is that everyone I speak to about allowances for children has a different idea on them.
Speaker 2: That's my understanding of it too, Mark, is everybody and it's it's one of those topics that you go one way or the other. There's not a lot of middle ground there. So I'll be interest to see what our chat says. And no matter what you say, people are gonna say. I hate you and you should die. You have the wrong opinion.
Speaker 3: Start, somebody gets Sam some coffee. I'm not saying that other people are saying.
Speaker 4: Didn't this whole thing start because you posted a video about Yeah?
Speaker 5: I did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's get let's get right to it, guys.
Speaker 2: So the last week I posted the video on our social media pages, is asking this question, is it wise to give children an allowance?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 6: Or no?
Speaker 2: I didn't share my opinion, just asked the question, got a lot of responses for it. I was pleasantly surprised Sam and Mark that the responses were quite tame.
Speaker 5: They they were not you know, people weren't throwing pitchforks.
Speaker 4: Okay, maybe I visit the wrong web religious to read the chat.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: But there were some interesting questions and comments about it, guys. So why don't we jump right in with this one. This first one came in from a listener on YouTube named Ena Woods, and Ina said, yes, the answer is yes, it.
Speaker 5: Is wise to give children an allowance.
Speaker 2: She said, how does a child understand the value of money and budget without having experience with money. Our children had chores to do, were paid according to the ones done that way. I was not badgering them to do their chores, so it gave them incentive. Mark she said, consequences with a teacher, it was agreed on what we would pay for and what they would pay for, which was adjusted as they got older, and when they got to college, they weren't overwhelmed with paying for expenses because they had learned how to budget on a small scale.
Speaker 3: Mark your thoughts. Yeah, I agree with a lot of what she said. I think we need to be careful here because there is something to be said about a child needs to learn to take care of themselves and their things anyway. But you know, you shouldn't pay them to do the basics, like you know, take a bath, wear clean clothes, make up your bed. There should be some chores that they need to learn to do because they need to learn to grow up. You know, they need to learn how to be a grown up. But there's other chores you could pay them above and beyond the basics of learning how to be an adult. You could pay them to do and such as such. You're giving them the opportunity to learn how to handle money, and you're giving you an opportunity to mentor them into that. I mean allowance can teach a child a whole lot about giving, saving, spending, delayed gratification, budgeting, personal responsibility. I remember my son, he wanted to get a little doll. He was a little guy, but he also had what was it he wanted? I forget exactly what he wanted, but he had one of the Subamese street dolls that he really liked, Burt or Ernie doll and.
Speaker 2: Back before they were all communists Mark, yeah, exactly, but they were still publicly funded.
Speaker 3: The oh I remember what it was.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And so he we were there at the store and he wanted this other thing, and I wanted to give him a learning moment on it. I said, well, you know that costs money, and he says, but I don't have money. He said, well maybe you could trade Bert for that, and and he looked at me and he said okay. And so we went up to the counter and I'd already talked to the lady at the counter at the checkout, and and he put the little toy you on it, and then he said it put his Burt doll up there, and uh. She said, okay, very good. That's a good trade. And and he learned right away that you Sometimes there's sacrifice for things, you know, and I don't know. I think it was a good lesson. Obviously, we still kept the Burt doal but and paid for it out of pocket. But he learned a lesson, and I think that's really good. If we don't ever give our children a moment or or if we don't have mentoring times with our children, how will they ever learn to handle money in a way that honors God. So by starting allowance very small, maybe you know, well, okay, you do all the basics you have to do. That are their consequences because you need to learn to grow up, you know. But then there's also you want to earn a little money. Well, here's some chores that you could do above and beyond that that will pay you to do, and then you can utilize that money any way you want. But we're going to help you understand how God would want us to do it. So you sit down and you talk about, okay, here's your ten dollars. One dollars should come out of that for you to give on Sundays to the Lord, to show God that you trust them with it, that you realize it's all His and you trust them, so you're given back to make sure you don't become a materialist, you know, and then maybe a portion of that could go to savings so you can buy that new bike or whatever you want in the future, and the rest you could spend as you want. You're teaching delayed gratification, you're teaching budgeting, you're teaching giving, You're teaching personal responsibility. Is what it comes down to. It's an opportunity to help ingrain that in them before they get too old and it becomes hard for them, especially the delayed gratification part.
Speaker 2: I think that's really important, you know, Mark, you you had brought up and I can't remember if you had said this or even if this was in the question too, but kind of the question of which which chores would be good for the allowance, Because if it's just like, oh, you got up this morning and you brush your teeth, good job. I'm here, here's five dollars, Well, that's expected, right. But if it's something that's beyond expected, right, it's something that Yeah, So what would be a good type of chore? And I don't get specific here, but what's the type of chore that earns an allowance? Versus one that you're just like, well, you're expecting to do that because you're a part of this functioning household.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think part of that would be based on the parent. For example, most parents would say whatever, I don't want to do.
Speaker 4: No, that's why I'm just the porch for twenty bucks.
Speaker 3: I didn't want to do it, and.
Speaker 2: I wanted it was a deal for your dad probably say, oh yeah, I would.
Speaker 3: Be stuff like that. For example, Uh, I don't know. I mean mowing the lawn. My parents paid us the mode lawn, which was nice.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Uh. From there, I started mowing other people's lawns, so it you know, I was getting paid at home. I could go knock on doors and get paid by other people. So that was nice too. So it taught me a little bit about entrepreneurship by doing that. Or you know, one time off type projects like maybe you're organizing the garage. Paid them to help organize the garage maybe, or you know, cleaning the basement. Maybe there's something, you know, we need to put up some shelving. Once I get that shelving up, i'd like you to organize the shelving. That kind of things. One off items like that, or washing the car. You know, yes, I said washing, That's what I said, Seth.
Speaker 5: Washing the car, Kevin Kevin Washington car.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so so you know, washing the car. Are doing things that aren't normal everyday type of things. How about even paying them to do some work for some other people, to help out the elderly couple across the street. Yes, it'd be nice if you do that without being paid. But you know, sometimes people come along who have money and will pay people to help people who can't help themselves. You learn about that, You learn about all sorts of things. So it would be the the not the everyday items you need just to be a grown up, but beyond that, you know, the occasional things trimming the bushes, that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely makes a lot of sense, Mark Boy. Folks, we'd love to hear your thoughts. There are plenty of thoughts already in our chat right now, Mark, but I really do want to open it up to you, folks.
Speaker 5: You know, now's the time to give us a call.
Speaker 2: There's no guests on today's show, so we've got plenty of time to talk to you.
Speaker 5: Chime in on this question. I want to hear from you we want to hear from you.
Speaker 2: Is giving an allowance to kids for chores, a good idea or a bad idea, or somewhere in between.
Speaker 5: We'd love to hear from you.
Speaker 2: We'll try to get to those chat comments, but before we get to them, I want to hear from some folks on our phone line, Mark, because I think there's a lot of opinions out there.
Speaker 3: For sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. And you know, one of the things that seems to be one of the first pushbacks I get when we talk about allowances whenever I talked about it, is, hey, I provide them food and shelter and clothing. You know that's enough. That's enough for them. You know, it's like, wait a minute, Mark.
Speaker 5: I surely had a buddy of mine.
Speaker 2: I was teaching a Sunday school class on finances at our church this past semester, and one of my dear friends, when I asked this question to the class, that's exactly what he said. He was like, I didn't have an allowance. My allowance was I got to live rent free and eat food rent free, and be a a s member the household without having to pay for it.
Speaker 3: You know, yeah, yeah, I get it, And there's a little bit of truth in there, and it actually sounds kind of funny. You're lucky to have a roof over your type of thing, But the reality is that's your responsibility as a parent. When you brought a child in the end of this world. It's your responsibility to feed, clothe, and protect them. It's also your responsibility to mentor them into the ways of the Lord. And that's what stewardship is all about. And if you create an allowance and you do it properly, it gives you opportunity to mentor your children so that they're way ahead of the rest of the world when it comes to finances. And that's what it's all about. Once you learn how to honor God with all that He's entrusted to you, even as a five or ten year old, you learn what it means to be a steward and you actually have a step up above the rest of the world. It's wonderful. Six ten three six three eleven ten. You might have an opinion on this, folks.
Speaker 2: We're grateful to have you on financial issues today. I phone number six ten three six three eleven ten. It's an interesting topic and we already get some calls on it here, Mark, why don't we go to the phones now and talk to Brenda calling from Georgia.
Speaker 3: Very good, Welcome Brenda. We're glad you're with us. What's on your mind this morning?
Speaker 6: Good morning? Well that springs up some memories for me. We raised four boys, and we really taught them to work hard. And what I've noticed is a lot of their friends had not been taught to work hard, and I've seen it carry over into their careers. And one of the things that we decided to do, which was kind of a little bit of a jump for us to do it, but we figured out what we were paying on for clothes for them and school lunches and things that were normally what we would buy for them, and we gave them salaries at age twelve and on and they they have this salary to use and they were allowed to save anything they didn't spend, but they had to give to the church. They couldn't look like they were dressing from the Salvation Army. They had to dress scently. And we kind of got pickled because they were really into at the time Abercrombie shirts and stuff, and we said, we're just not going to pay that kind of money for clothes, and their friends were all wearing it. So once we put them on the salary, their tastes totally changed. They chose much more reasonable brands and even started pushing it on their friends and said, oh, you're silly to buy that brand of shoes. I got the same thing for much cheaper. And then they would buy birthday gifts out of their money for their friends and it just became more meaningful. And I think they were very proud of themselves because they were managing their own money. And of course, of course we had them do it differently. We had a few that ran out of money, and then we told them, if you pack your own lunch, we'll even allow you to keep your lunch money. If you pack your own, that'll be a bonus for you. So we let them pack their own lunches and gave them their school lunch money. And it had to be healthy, you know, we had parameters for everything. But they did such a good job, and I feel like it really prepared them in a lot of ways for money management.
Speaker 3: I think you might be right because what you said about occasionally they'd run out of money and couldn't do what they wanted to do. Those consequences are really important to teach people how to budget and save and not go crazy. I remember one of my kids did the same thing. He ran out of money. He really wanted something, and I said, well, you know what, you spent it yesterday and the day before on these things, even though you knew you wanted to buy this, and so you're just going to have to wait a couple more weeks till you earn the money. And it it does teach them, It teaches them to be productive. I'm glad you brought this up because I think one of the reasons I have a work ethic to where it's almost a work addiction, it's almost overlying, is that is because as a child, if I wanted some my parents said, go earn the money, you know, if you want something going on. Not that not that they were mean. I mean they gave us. They took care of us, and they did provide for us, you know, and they did did love on us, never went without, even though we were maybe in a low income bracket.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 3: You know, Mom and dad both worked, but they just taught us that, you know, you could do anything you wanted to do. But you know, you have to put your energy into it. And I learned that real early because of that, and I really appreciated that. Absolutely. I would have liked a little more mentoring on how to handle money and stuff, but especially on the giving end, even though my mom and dad really did care for people and helped a lot of people out, so that lesson alone stayed with me and my wife and I were, you know, we're the same way. If there's somebody in need, we can't stand by and not help, you know, mm hmm.
Speaker 6: That's the other thing too, is taking them with you when you're doing service projects or giving other people and them being a part of that. We would we would sometimes take them with us on workdays and things when it was for a charity, and that was always a good also a really good eye opener for them that not everybody has all the stuff that they think they need. So those were that's just two comments. I want to make one other thing. We had Saturday work days and boy, they they thought it was awful and their friends didn't have to do that, but they worked a section of each Saturday with us, and it was a family. We all got out there together and work and today they would say, that's the best thing we did.
Speaker 3: Yeah when they look back on it now, right, Yeah, yes, Brenda, You're bringing back so many memories of my youth. I just love it, especially, you know. And as a young parent, I remember my kids talking about the type of ten issues they wanted, and I'd say, you know, no, this is what we're going to spend on. Ten is anything over that is up to you. I'm not going to I'm not going to spend one hundred dollars. Back then, tennis shoes were fifteen to twenty bucks, you know, but if you wanted these stylish ones, they were seventy five doll hundred dollars. And it's like, no, these are the sinner shoes we're going to buy. They don't have some athletes name on them, and they don't you know, you're not paying to be cool. Pain to be cool is one of the worst ways, or one of the best ways to lose all your money.
Speaker 6: Well, and they really developed a pride that they were handling their own money. And I just remember one of my sons going, boy, I can't believe you paid that for those shoes. I got these and they look just like them in their way.
Speaker 3: Praise God. I wish I could high five you right now. Good job, good job, Thanks Brenda, God bless you.
Speaker 5: It's great comment. All right, appreciate it that you know, Mark, it is so important. Brenda brought that up.
Speaker 2: It's so key to this whole discussion, and Sammy mentioned this in our break. We're not talking about the whole Oh, you're just getting a weekly allowance for being alive.
Speaker 5: This is how you have earned this money through whatever it is.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe it's regular, maybe it's regular recurring chores, or maybe it's special chores. But you're teaching your children the value of earning something by working for it.
Speaker 3: That's a really good thing.
Speaker 5: I just think that's really exactly, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: But it goes much deeper than that. I think the giving part of it's really important.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know, when my dad gave me an allowune and then we go to church, I had money to put in the into the plate that was being passed around. Now, granted it came from my dad before I even you know, before I knew what a chore was. He would he would give me money to do that with, you know, give me a handful of money to put in a plate. But the thing was that I was learning to give right off the bat. I was learning that, you know, I was learning that the sources that God has entrusted to us were to be used for special purposes. One of those was to teach us not to be materialists, not to not to get addicted to this money, but to trust God, give it back to him and let him use it to help those who needed it, you know, including pain for the the shepherds, and including but the church also was an outlet for that money to help families. My twenty three cents that I put in there probably wouldn't do nothing, but with all the people coming together, we could help a family that is going through some financial difficulty. You know. That's that's what I learned on the giving very early in my life at least. And that doesn't happen unless you set up a situation where they have to handle money and you are there to mentor them in how to do that. It's a wonderful and great thing, it really is.
Speaker 5: Mark. Before we go to Scott here in Scott, just hang on a second, get right to you.
Speaker 2: Let me just say, as well, you mentioned giving that we have this crossroad kids called campaign right now, reach our schools dot com. We're about ten thousand dollars away from our goal, so we are over halfway there. We're well on our way right around. I'm told sixty nine children have been sponsored at this point of our one hundred and twenty five. It says sixty six on Crossroads website, but we've actually got a couple more gifts that have not been counted yet, which is awesome. So we're just so so excited for that. So go to reach our.
Speaker 5: Schools dot com right now.
Speaker 2: Folks, make a donation any amount, Any amount doesn't have to be two hundred. It give me five bucks and that helps, ten bucks and that helps. Or if you want to do a thousand or two thousand, great thing to do. Six ten three, six eleven ten mark. Why don't we go and talk to Scott from Alabama? Shall we?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 3: Welcome Scott, glad you're with us this morning. What's on your mind? Good morning?
Speaker 7: Just to short correction, their sets Georgia, not Alabama. Those are fighting words.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Scott.
Speaker 2: My call software said Alabama, Georgia.
Speaker 7: Get me all fired up? Man?
Speaker 5: So Scott, would it have been better if I said a northern state. Probably not right.
Speaker 3: When you're in the hole. Stop digging, all right, I love it. What's the other mind? Scott?
Speaker 7: Hey, I Mark, I just wanted to get an update on r E thirty four. They've uh, they've recently posted a good a second quarterly result that was good and uh, you know they've got a pretty strong dividend.
Speaker 3: Yield, Yeah, they do thirte Yeah.
Speaker 7: So I would like to understand though, what what what do you think at a macro level, what do you think it's going to take to take these guys from a hole, from a hold to a buy? You know?
Speaker 3: Just yeah, yeah, I think that the looking at that, what I would want is I'd like the price premium to be I don't know, I'd like to see it a little bit better. Tangible value remains stable, but I'd like it to be a little bit better. Leverage remains controlled near the There's just a handful of things. I think that really the bottom line on it is that its second quarter performance was strong and it was strong enough to support continued ownership in it, and the dividend does remain reasonable. You know, you're catching me off guard here, So I'm going through some of the numbers However, the stock substantial premium to tangible book value. That's what's been bothered me. The high leverage and the sensitivity interest rates prevented upgrade. At this point, I'd like to see I'd like to see it just strengthen up just a little bit one more quarter, I guess that's the way I would say it. It's really close, by the way, you know, it's borderline to being put back on the bi list. So i'd just like to see one more quarter makes that we're really head in the right direction. That it's just not it's just not slipping by on the markets. You know, we have an exceptionally strong market despite the pullbacks and whatnot. So and with that, with that yield on there, it's hard to pass up, isn't it.
Speaker 7: Well it's a good reason to keep holding it for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, But I would wait, I'd wait. We the leverage is still a little bit too much for me as well, So let let's wait another quarter. Let's see what happens. But you know, if something else comes along, like management reduces the monthly dividend, well it'll stay on hold or go to a cell. So we got to be careful about that. Too, they may not be able to continue doing that, so.
Speaker 7: Right, and how they found that dividend is you know, a little bit bloated as well.
Speaker 3: So yeah, yeah, you're paying more than a twenty percent premium on the book value right now, so that that's really hard hard to embrace and to really want to jump into it at this point. Let's wait and see. Still yeah, okay, better evaluation.
Speaker 7: Okay, yeah, that's that fIF feedback in and the stuff about the lady with the conversation, that's absolutely she was fought on, so were you. I I'm graphs from the time I was twelve to when I was sixteen and.
Speaker 4: Pay for my own car in cash and exactly exactly.
Speaker 5: Well done, Scott.
Speaker 3: Well, that's another thing. I see parents buying cars for kids out of high school and and buying new cars for them, and it's like, wait a minute, they're not going to respect that. You know, you got to let them buy their inten give us a call. Let's hear your opinion. Polks gives a call.
Speaker 2: Why don't you the number six ten three six three eleven ten against six' ten three six three eleven. Ten today's show brought to you in part by our friends at The Timothy.
Speaker 5: Plan can't say enough good things About Timothy.
Speaker 3: Plan love Them timothyplan dot.
Speaker 2: Com that's the place to Go biblically responsible mutual funds ETF's retirement. Plans they are the founders of, it creators are the first ever biblically responsible mutual fund and it's an honor to be partnered with. Them timothyplan Dot. Com check them. Out markets, yesterday, guys open, strong kind of lost ground a little, bit but not too.
Speaker 5: Bad chip stocks kind of, stumbled but everything else seemed.
Speaker 2: Okay The Dow jones finished up a half, percent THE smp was, flat and The nasdaq was just below the flat. Line, meanwhile The russell two thousand small caps was up about two thirds of a percent as. Well haven't looked much of the pre markets this, morning, guys but they seemed pretty mixed as, well and that's the way they've. Opened, also that and THE nasdak are mirroring each other right. Now The dow up about two, thirds THE nasdack down the same amount, s AND b five hundred just below the flat line, meanwhile and oil is coming down, further which is good to.
Speaker 3: See West Texas.
Speaker 2: Intermediate i'm seeing is creeping down towards eighty one dollars a, barrel While brent crude oil is down around eighty.
Speaker 5: Six so that's. Fun mark love to see that.
Speaker 3: THERE i love to, see love seeing oil. Down, yeah but you know, WHAT i didn't notice a big jump in the gas prices during the week when they when they shot, Up and that surprised me because usually when oil goes, down it takes about a month and a half for gas prices that come, down, Right but when oil goes, up it's like thirty two seconds later you see him out there switching the, board you, know and raising the, price eager for.
Speaker 5: It, yeah oh, Boy why do you think that was this?
Speaker 4: Time or do you think we're so numb to the higher gas prices we didn't even, Notice, sam that could be.
Speaker 3: It, yeah BUT i don't. KNOW i think that this administration has been getting very serious about the way commerce has ran now and they're looking at those kind of things and telling the oil companies and telling the gas, Stations, hey if you're going to do it one, way you got to do the same the other. Way AND i don't, KNOW i remember Hearing trump speak what was it about a month? Ago saying no price, gouging telling the oil, companies no price, Gouging we're not going to allow, that you, know so maybe his threats rang. True it's. Possible you, know there's so many things this administration is doing that nobody. Realizes you, know we talk about. Inflation how you, know how our debt and how inflation those two things seem to be the biggest impacts on our economy and on our ability to maintain our. Country but a lot of people don't think about. Productivity and right now we're at the lowest rate of unemployment filings since nineteen sixty. Nine that means a productive dictivity is. High and when you hear me talk about different level levers that can be pulled to help bring down, inflation productivity is one of. Those when you have high, productivity it helps bring down. Inflation AND i mean the simplest way to think about this is if you have a factory that's putting out one hundred widgets a day and it goes up to one hundred and twenty five widgets a, day it's cutting down the cost to produce those. Widgets therefore the cost of the widgets will go down to the economy therefore inflation will pull. Back so the more productive of a country is that actually helps to reduce. Inflation and that's just another one of those. Lovers and if you look at this administration what they're, DOING i, KNOW i got on a. Soapbox, sorry SO i just realized. That mark.
Speaker 5: You the only TIME i have to apologize is when you don't get on a.
Speaker 3: Soapbox. Ox, well this administration by getting all this uh what nineteen billion dollars of our, Trillion i'm, sorry all the money that's coming into The United states building all these factories in a few months or, so in maybe six months or even a, year but we're gonna start seeing more and more productivity going on in this. Country that's gonna help with the inflation that is still left over from the previous. Administration but right now we even saw year over year real wage growth is up over a year over year and placing is down just a Hair so we're seeing we're seeing some good stuff go. On and there's multiple. Lovers that's why when people, say, oh The Federal reserve needs increase rates so that they kill productivity so that inflation goes, down it doesn't make any sense or what they're saying is if they if they raise the, rates then companies can't borrow and people can't, borrow so they'll be less, spending so there'll be less. Demand, therefore see inflation come. Down that's a horrible way to cure. Inflation this administration's widened out and starting to use all the, lovers is What i'm trying to say. There so, anyway good.
Speaker 5: Stuff, yeah good to see.
Speaker 4: That.
Speaker 2: Mark, Hey, mark let's jump back for just a moment to our conversation from the first part of the. Show there was one more question that we got From facebook in response to that video that we posted earlier this, week from a listener Named. LaToya she, SAYS i have an eleven year old, son nothing in place for an, allowance But i'd love some ideas to. Start, Mark this is a great. Question what are some ideas for an allowance that you would give to?
Speaker 7: Her?
Speaker 3: Oh, yeah some common. Steps the FIRST i do is identify those chores that are expected without, payment and these would be chores that they need to learn to, develop to be to learn to grow, up to become an, adult to care for, themselves contribute to the, household develop discipline for, adulthood those kind of chores need to be there no matter. What AND i, personally you don't believe you should pay a child to learn to be an, adult to learn to grow, up to learn to care for, themselves to learn that they should be contributing a. Household so you, know the basic things like making your, bed cleaning your, room putting away your, laundry you, know helping with the, dishes those things that would be common to a change your. Underwear here's five. Bucks y no, no, no, no, no these are things you don't. Pay what you do is to create opportunities for the paid. Work look for those things that are a little bit outside of those things that should be the basic lessons on how to become a man or how to become a. Woman that would be things like washing a, car maybe doing yard, work organizing a closet or garage like we talked, about or complete in a special household. Project maybe it's helping rearrange the living, room or you, know maybe maybe every now and then you might want to clean the. Carpets you, know you get a steamer and you clean the. Carpets, well you could pay them to do. That agree on the job and the payment before the work. Begins that would be another Thing i'd throw in, there but you still have to hold them. Accountable this is the, thing you, know if the kid doesn't finish the work or they do a sloppy, job they should realize they don't get paid for just saying they're gonna do. It they have to be you pay them for when they really do, it you, know and you let them, know you, know you did a really sloppy job on, this And i'm just gonna have to redo. It you really didn't earn this. Money you really did not earn your pay and if you do this, AGAIN i won't be paying you to do these. Things you're gonna have to find work. Elsewhere they need to realize that quality. Matters it's not just getting out another just showing. Up showing up is the is the very basics of earning, money but it's being a quality. Person these are these are opportunities to teach them about all the wonderful things a. Stewardship everything you do do as onto The, lord everything you know you need to teach. Them use these as teaching, opportunities and you know, what when when they do end, up they do end up making financial. Mistakes you got to let us suffer, sometimes you, know don't replace the money simply because it was spent. Unwisely let them, realize, WOW i got five, DOLLARS i went to the candy. STORE i bought it. All and tomorrow when they want something, else that they were going to go to the movie with a friend or something and they don't have the, money it's, Like i'm, sorry you earn the money to go to the, show but you spent. It you don't get to go to the show. Today they have to learn these. Lessons sometimes it hurts you know that whole. Thing this hurts me more than it hurts you that as a, parent we all know that's true to, see you, know our son or daughter suffering a little. Bit but sometimes those lessons are necessary to help ingrain the truth about being a, steward that wisdom is important and foolishness is. Painful M.
Speaker 2: Mark you answered my next, question that was the final question to wrap up this whole conversation was how do we as parents weave biblical truth into this decision whether or not to give an allowance for?
Speaker 3: Kids and that's one way to do it right.
Speaker 2: THERE i think the way that Your dad did a too mark of encouraging you to, tithe it's another way to do.
Speaker 3: It, yeah you, know that's HOW i learned to say tie was. Allowing there's you, know what you want to do is create opportunities to help them learn to give first and, foremost save and. Spend if you help them to do, this it will take so much pain on their. Lives imagine them not getting in over their head on credit card debt and having to work real hard for a long time to get out of debt so they can move forward with their. Life imagine them actually learning how to save up and buy those things that they need and realize that they don't need a branded name shirt or pants or. Whatever you, know that they don't have to pay twice as much for, that that there's better made quality items out there for a whole lot. Less learning to be shrewd is very. IMPORTANT i, mean come, on if you don't learn to be, shrewd unless you're just, very very, lucky you'll never be able to develop.
Speaker 5: Wealth, yeah well Said.
Speaker 2: Marcu it's never too young to, start never too little to start either as. WELL i, meant don't just begrudge the. Old Oh i'll give you a penny for every stick you pick, up or five cents for every stick you pick.
Speaker 3: Up that teaches.
Speaker 5: Them, Okay i'm earning money for. This i'm earning something for.
Speaker 3: This, yeah, yeah you. KNOW i really believe it's important to every now and then just have a short monthly review or weekly. Review what did you? Earn what did you? Give what did you? Save what per are glad you? Made what would you do? Differently that's the most important. Question what would you do? Differently how did you Honor god with your? Money ask these, questions even of a little. Child you'll be surprised at some of the answers that come. Out they'll thrill. You six' ten three six three. Eleven ten we got fifteen minutes to get your. Calls in.
Speaker 8: The opinions and recommendations expressed on this program do not necessarily represent the opinions of the station or any of the. Program, sponsors additionally all products or services offered by the program sponsors may not be known by.
Speaker 2: The program really enjoy the, conversation, today folks hope you are.
Speaker 5: As well give us a call six' ten three six.
Speaker 2: THREE eleven ten i consider becoming a partner today as well at financial. Issues dot org you know you're hearing the conversation today about allowances and all this is wrapped up in this idea of being good and faithful Stewards with what god has. Given to us and of course we mainly talk about investing, on this show but it's not just. Limited to investing it's Any money that god has, entrusted you with or Really anything that god has.
Speaker 3: Entrusted you with we want to be good stewards of. All, Of, It mark.
Speaker 5: Amen absolutely amos so that's what we're trying. To, do here mark we got a question In our Chat. Daniel from.
Speaker 2: Tennessee he's wondering so we JUST put f x twenty on the by list.
Speaker 3: As part of.
Speaker 2: Our commentary yesterday, by, the way folks check out that commentary if YOU'RE a partner fx twenty brand New, bylist ad.
Speaker 5: Mark he's wondering this.
Speaker 2: Is the first i've heard of a, perpetual SUBORDINATED note and i know that's part of. This, particular holding mark what insight would You give to daniel or anyone else who maybe hasn't.
Speaker 3: Seen, This, before yeah well a perpetual means they never have, To call it they never have to bring it back in so it can stay out there as long is it's, functional for them, which sounds good especially if you're getting yields of roughly seven point sixty five or if you're in a. High tax bracket there's some benefits to this that. Increase it yield but perpetual means they never have to call it, back from you so, it never matures is what it. Comes down to on, the one. Hand that's good, on another hand, not so much, because you know if it's being bought, at a discount it may mean that you'll never realize the twenty five dollars that it was. Originally issued at so that's the. Perpetual on it and what was the rest. OF the question i was Pretty.
Speaker 2: Much it mark he, just you know he WAS wondering about fx twenty and he said it was just the first he'd ever heard of a, perpetual SUBORDINATED note and i just. Wanted TO see so i think you answered, It. Quite handsomely daniel let us know in the chat if, you, feel otherwise. Okay, That's, good well mark Speaking of which robert's seventy, two years, old is, saying, good morning guys this is. A great encouragement Mark you saying i'm a long time faithful. Ten year member MY wife and i. RETIRED last year i just love and appreciate the latest addition to our allocation dashboard to customize and put our. Investments into groups this helps. Me so much it saves me time when. Updating my allocations, thanks so much keep up. The great work, That Is awesome robert robert For, THAT and MARK i just I love that robert is enjoying the website as well and.
Speaker 3: Those, updates too yeah that's. Great to hear you know a lot of times put put into making the website better and better for our partners, the back end and just for our regular listeners and those who come out and just. Want some resources but. For this tag one of the things that hit me the other day is we had another question come in about. The foreign tax we get this about once. Every, TWO months hey i FOUND out that i that this stock is taken out foreign, Tax on it and is there a way for us to label that on the broad list or on the by list on the back end so we. Can, see this, well guess what if you know, something's foreign tax you could tag it with that new tagging system, and say no this is. A foreign tax. So that's awesome you may be able to do that if. You wanted to you could tag it by the type of, taxation it has whether, it's tax, free tax. Deferred or taxable you could tag it by. Whose accountant is there's all sorts of things you could. Do with, it so yeah it helps you customize it to fit to your world And the way god has you. Managing your.
Speaker 2: Portfolios it's awesome i'm gonnaive a Shout out To al From, florida There mark because al had asked that, question in, particular and yeah that's just one of the great many features, of our website that.
Speaker 3: ONE in particular i love that. New tagging, feature.
Speaker 2: And again if anyone's listening and you're, not a, partner you know now's a great time. To become one for one hundred and thirty two, dollars a year you get access to. All of this it really is a great way, and educational tool, as it were to, come alongside you alongside your brokerage.
Speaker 5: And be able to manage your money the Way. That honors god it's we're here to.
Speaker 3: Be absolutely and you Get our weekly, christian investors commentary which is really good that also. Gives you, alerts for example there was a new buy to hold, alert this week and there was a new to the bye list this, week as well along with commentary about the market and where it's at and things to look for and things to watch out for and things to. Look forward to so you get that every, week as well along with all the Resources in, the partner's hub including the, asset allocation models, the by lists. The broad, list you know there's so much that you. Get for that.
Speaker 2: It's just, Incredible, absolutely absolutely mark we got A. Comment from pete. He's sixty, six he's saying just, wanted to say great job with the. Show market team so Glad to see mark's. Growing media exposure it's cool to. See, That, Too yeah mark mark's getting on a lot of interviews and it's. AWESOME to, see i said way to stick with your advocacy for Changes to, the trump accounts sharing the FOUR versus supporting bri and our last conference call was. A great Thing and then pete's just asking us we. Consider this, market he says please consider creating a list of pertinent SCRIPTURE on. The fism website readily available to partners, non partners alike and to add new verses to.
Speaker 3: It over, time great idea, pete it is and it'd be a real. SIMPLE one pager i actually have several. LIKE that already i might just go in and edit it and reformat it for our partners or, for everybody actually but also if you want more than just. A Few Verses The, wall street awakening THE book that i wrote to help people understand the importance of, the investment stewardship is almost. Fifty percent. Verses you know the first half of it really is, preparing the heart and it's Like a devotional it takes a verse and then applies that verse to investing what it Means as, a christian investor and then hopefully asks you a question that. Gets you thinking and then the rest of it it really works, on the mind where it talks about, What is investing what does it mean to, be a stockholder what does it mean to be? To buy bonds how do you do this if you want to do? It for yourself how do you do this if you want how do you? Look find somebody if you're looking for somebody to do? It for you and and everything is Backed up. By, Bible, versus so pete it looks like we. Got your emails but what we'll do is email you and ask you if we could get. A mailiing address i'd be happy to send you A Copy Of The. Wall street. Awakening you can you can get it for yourselves if you go out to any bookstore and ask them to order. IT for you i know it's still Out, there on amazon and you know any areas where, you buy books you. Could. Get it uh it's it's not that expensive and it will give you the verses you need to have a discussion with anybody about why and How to do. Biblical responsible, Investing.
Speaker 5: That's great pete i'll give you one more resource.
Speaker 2: As well too if you go to about us and then go down to who We Are on financial. Issues dot org so the about us Tab, who we are click on that and that takes us to the page explaining. Who we are and if, you scroll, down of course you'll GO to what i think is one of the best statements of. Faith out there our Ministry Statement Of Faith pastor john webb had a huge part to. Play in, this of Course Our founder dan celia had a huge. Part as well but it goes into just about pretty much all of the major Doctrines of the christian faith and where we.
Speaker 5: Stand on it there are many.
Speaker 2: Scripture passages, To support these so if you're, looking for that that's a.
Speaker 3: Great it is it, is very.
Speaker 2: Thorough very thorough we want people to know, what, we believe folks and it is the scriptures and their entirety and the, truth in them.
Speaker 3: What, we believe in why we believe. It.
Speaker 2: Exactly exactly Mark we, got nelson here he's asking in The chat from louisiana ANY. INPUT on avgo i can't understand, Why. It's floundering nelson it's because it's a fish. Out, Of water, Now, i'm kidding mark what's UP.
Speaker 3: With, The avgo well i'm gonna have to look up the information on that. Real quick here if you give, me, a second yep, Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Well yeah mark while, You're doing that i'll just tell our listeners here, one more time we'll just check out the. Markets really quickly looks like everything is still. Kind Of flat the nasdack unfortunately is down, quite a bit But the down joe and, is still up. Which is nice and again oil still, Down nicely too so.
Speaker 3: That's still, down nicely too. Still, down nicely, YEAH you know i think what's Really happening with ivogo is the same thing that's happening, with everything, Else. You know broadcom there's money leaving the, chip right now as as people are getting CONCERNED that the ai spending is going to slow down and that they may have geared up too much and all this. KIND of stuff i just think it's a little bit of what we're seeing in the markets is those who those companies that, have their pricing their stock price valuation go, through the ceiling that they're starting to, come back to starting to normalize, a little bit is. What's really happening institutional investors are getting concerned that the return on INVESTMENT on the ai build out is not going to be what they hoped, it would be and so they're starting to. WORRY about that i think that it's just, really getting real is what it's it's. COMING down to I wouldn't be i wouldn't. Be freaking out it's, still very. Strong, good company.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know mark it's interesting because people are also saying a similar thing, about sand disk and would you say it's rather similar when it comes To, SAND disc also i know they're.
Speaker 3: Both, TECH players yeah i would think. SO right, now i, mean come on the pricing has gone. Through the ceiling we saw pees and pegs. Through the ceilings it's bound to happen sometime better a little bit, at a time and then maybe it can step. Back up, again you know this is the, way the markets this is the. Way they move they'd. Have to breathe it is a rollercoaster if they just. Be game right if, they didn't breathe then if, They didn't resettle i'll tell you what's going to. Happen this week something interesting is all the big, boys are reporting and if they come out and say that, the you know their returns are their their earnings and their revenues are coming down as they're doing, this massive spinding it may have a bigger. Impact on them we don't want to, overreact to this but because they could come out and say, just the opposite but it. Will influence it the key here is, to be stable realize is this a strong company, and it is then it's worth holding as we go into the. Future with it that's part of, being a steward and part of being a stewart is realizing all we do is we do to The. Glory of god that, means remain, calm don't panic but you use wisdom and analyze things and take a step. AT a time i want to thank you for, being with us thank you For, loving the lord and thank you for investing. With biblical integrity look forward to seeing. You all tomorrow
Speaker 1: If we ever forget that we're One, nation under god then we