Speaker 1: Hello, I'm Ray Lee and this is the Gillingham Podcast for anyone living in the Gillingham and Spa area. I'm talking to Roger Laidler, who is the chairman of the Shaspbery and Gillingham University of the Third Age. Can you tell us a bit about the university and then who is it for?
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, the term university is a bit what's the word loose?
Speaker 3: Yes, that's a good word.
Speaker 2: The term universe is a bit loose inas much as certainly some people are war don't feel that it is for them.
Speaker 3: Because of the university word.
Speaker 2: But basically SGU three A was the U three A movement was started over forty years ago, forty five years ago and it's an international organization and over the years different areas in the country have started their own branch and our branch, Shaftsbury and Gillingham U THREEA started up in nineteen ninety nine, so we've been going for twenty six years now. And it's a loose organization which caters for retired and semi retired people to come and enjoy and perhaps learn things to enjoy it, to take part in activities, in other words, to keep your mental health going and we are as The membership of our group is around about three hundred and forty. It's been around that for quite a few years really, and it's a very loosely mixed group of people from all walks of life, and we all enjoy sharing our life and our activities with other people. So it's obviously open to women and men.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, of course, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I had a look at your website yesterday and approximately thirty five groups on there doing different activities. Yeah, are they are they also active.
Speaker 3: Or yeah, there's thirty five groups which are active.
Speaker 2: Other groups on the website are active and they vary from walking, playing scrabble, book clubs, play reading, cosmology.
Speaker 3: There's a whole list of.
Speaker 2: Activities international history, philosophy, and music appreciation, digital photography.
Speaker 3: I could go on, but they're all.
Speaker 2: Active and they meet generally they meet in each other's houses, so it sometimes that will limit the size of the group. Other times, bigger groups like genealogy meet in a hall, a separate hall because it is a larger group. But yeah, it's a very eclectic mix of groups. Can anyone start a group, anybody can start a group. Yeah, and the group when the group is started, it's a member. You need to be a member of U three A to start a group. But once you start it, then you put the information out and people then join. For instance, our last couple of groups we've done, one is started, one is church visits where somebody organizes a visit to different churches and have someone to tell you all about the church. And the latest one is dancing ballroom and Latin American dancing. That group's just started as well. So it's a very varied mix of groups.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And so with the dancing, one of most people I just say retired, oh yeah, we're also having retired or retired it's still still. Yeah. Dancing is supposed to be one of the things which is really good for you because you're using your brain and you're moving as well, so it is really good for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I understand that you get guest speaker sometimes at your meeting.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: What we do is part of it for the organization that then they've always done this since it's been going, is once a month we have a meeting at which now we hold it at the Charlton Hall, the village Hall in Charlton, which is south of Shaftsbury going towards Schalisbury.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we have a guest speaker there, which is, you know, something of interest.
Speaker 3: Often it's.
Speaker 2: Moving, a historical thing, or once a year we will have a charity talk about. The last one we had was the charity the Friends of Guy's mass Prison, and we had a really moving talk from a next inmate whose life was turned around and a lot of it was through help from the Friends of Guys Mass Prison, and he gave a really memorable talk. So it's quite a variety of talks, but sometimes entertainments, entertaining, sometimes informative, but almost so. Does he take place every month every well, first Thursday of the month, you have a speaker everything. We have a speaker everyone, Yeah, apart from August Chris, August time, Everyone's we have we have a lunch then.
Speaker 3: I understand.
Speaker 2: Also you do outings, theater trips and stuff like that. There is one group that does trips to the symphony, Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra, and that is to their concerts in the season.
Speaker 3: And that is in their.
Speaker 2: Season which I think goes until about May. That maytime now and then it starts again. This episode of October so a lady who organizes a coach to take people obviously pay to go in and everything. So that's one out in there's a natural history group that has outings. Unfortunately, at the moment we used to have a lot of day outings, day trips, but at the moment we don't get anybody to organize it, so we're waiting for someone to come forward to organize that.
Speaker 3: But we have had many in the past.
Speaker 2: So those those trips are they open to any members? Have you got to be a member of that specific group to go and they're open to members of the U three A, yeah, SDU three A. We do have visitors come in and that's fair. We're quite happy to have a visitor, but we don't encourage visitors to do more than two trips before they join. So that's that's the system recently. And if you want to join the you three are what are their membership fees? The membership fee is twelve pounds a year and that covers because we have to pay money to our national organization, which is called the Third Aid Trust, so we pay a capitation fee to them. We also pay so much towards them for our website and also for a data collection system, which is a secure system.
Speaker 3: So twelve pounds a year membership.
Speaker 2: They forms is on the website, or alternatively, people can come along to the first Thursday of the month and come in as a visitor, no problem, Come as a visitor and see what it's all about, and you know, join them if you wish. But I do recommend to people that that's the best way to join, is to come.
Speaker 3: And see everybody and join them.
Speaker 2: So it's the best way to join through the website. Or you can join through the website, or download the form from the website and you know, put it in the post as usual or as I say, go to the monthly meeting. I always say to people, just google SGU three A and then that brings up the website, no problem. Can you can you say Google, Google, Google or any other search engine?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean are you actively looking for members all the time or yeah?
Speaker 3: The knowledge of members? Yeah? I say this because people.
Speaker 2: Are dying, you know, yeah, yeah, so yeah, we are actively looking members. So do you do you get a high turnover of members? Were mostly we lose about fifteen to twenty a year, and game fifteen to twenty and you know, some people have been in it for twenty six years. You know, not many now, but there our people who have been in twenty six years. I mean I've been in it for me and my wife, Pam and I have been in it for probably about fifteen sixteen years. I've been on the committee for nine years because we're a charity. Charity commission don't want committee members more than nine years. Yeah, so we are a charity, which is quite important, which does affect some of our rules. But it means that you get that's the word gift aid we get, you get gift aid back. You know, it's really okay, Thank you, Roger, thanks very much for your time.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, thank you.
Speaker 4: If you have anything you'd like to share, be it news or details of organizations or groups that you belong to, you can email me at Gillingham Podcast email dot com. Thanks for listening.
Speaker 3: Oh