Speaker 1: Thanks for watching and listening to the Win Loved Leads Podcast. You'll be hearing today from some of our special guests as they share with you stories of faith at work. You can help more people find out about the podcast by liking us on social media pages like Facebook and LinkedIn. Now join us as we explore people of faith at work.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: Welcome once again to the Win Love Leads Podcast. Rick and I are joined today by Justin Brown. Justin Welcome, where are you today?
Speaker 2: Thank you guys for having me. I appreciate it. I'm a heel billy. I'm from the heels of East Tennessee.
Speaker 1: Bill.
Speaker 3: A quick primer for you and our guest is Justin and I have been friends for a couple of years. I've been on his podcast, and I couldn't think of anybody I'd rather have on ours than Justin's.
Speaker 2: Thank you have me. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Well, Justin, tell us about yourself. For people who don't know you, who is Justin Brown?
Speaker 2: Justin Brown is just like the name sounds. It sounds so common. It sounds like an a list, like I'm a bank robber on the run or somebody on the road from the lill that's changed my name to this common thing. I'm just a normal nine to five guy. I'm a factory rat most of my life and raising a family and kids, going to work and paying my bills, paying my taxes and coming home and rents and repeat. You know, there's nothing really special about me whatsoever. But I grew up in church my whole life and read the Bible and was always fascinated with the Word of God. I was that annoying kid in Sunday school asking one hundred questions, getting on the teacher's nerves. And of course I went through my teenage years, I went into rebellion. I know nobody's ever done that. But I made my way back to God in my early twenties and I started just finding all these treasures in the Word of God that I just looked over my entire life and started making my way and getting getting all the crap out of my life and ended up through that journey just found podcasting. And this has been my thing for uh probe past two and a half years, and it's just something that I've dove into and just really enjoy I love having these conversations like we're having today and digging through the word of God and finding those treasures. That's just me. I'm just a regular old guy like everybody else, but just loves to talk.
Speaker 3: Well, tell us a little bit about your family justin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my wife is and as Rebecca, got two kids, Jackson and Kyla. Kyla seventeen. She's now senior in high school. Uh so she's actually doing well enough to get early graduation. My son's fifteen. He's just getting his driver's ermit. So look out everybody if you're in the East Tennessee area. But yeah, that's that's my that's my little try.
Speaker 1: But justin, talk to us about how you have both thought through and actually done integrating rather than compartmentalizing your faith in the workplace and your family life and your community. And what does it look like for you.
Speaker 2: Honestly, it's I love the whole idea and I've just recently come to terms with it. It's a process, and it is being saved and going to be saved because God meets us all where we're at. And it's a process of slowly weeding out that garden and walking with God and allowing the Holy Spirit to clean all that stuff up out of your life and with me. I always seen it as I'm just not good enough. And I see all these people in church and man, they got their act together, and man, will I ever get there? And I have to do X y Z to please God? And just personally, I put a lot of burden and heavyweight on my shoulders that was really unnecessary, and as I got older, for me personally, the spirit of Christ is just a spirit of humility. Every time that I have an experience with the Holy Spirit, it is humbling. It's just like I've never been a really judgmental person, but it actually makes me see how ugly, how messed up I am, how far I got to go. I'm definitely a lot better than what I used to be and where I was, but I still got a long way to go. So I just try my best in my workplace and in my daily life to just to show love and humility. And I know I fail every day Romans eight, But to just be an image bearer of Christ.
Speaker 1: Your your comment about judge, judging and and love and being forgiven in Christ reminded me of Jesus' words in Luke Southern that the one who is forgiven much loves much, and the one who's forgiven little loves little, and when we consider our own forgiveness, it transforms transforms our perspective on other people.
Speaker 3: That's quite a contrast act justin because I think there's sort of a common perspective that as people grow more and more, the danger that comes along with that is to grow more and more in your judgment of others, as you're comparing your goodness to the lack of goodness in others. But your point is so good that in reality, as we're growing closer to Christ, we're actually becoming more aware of just how deep our sin goes and how much we are forgiven. How would a factory worker see God in the workplace?
Speaker 2: Honestly? And it's funny because your experience dictates your worldview. And that's because many people that I've had encounters with in the workplace have been those image bearers of Christ and influenced me. I've seen God work through people when I was honestly coming back to Christ in my life. I was working at this particular place, and God moved me into this position. And everything happens for a reason. God puts you where you're at for a season, for a purpose. You just have to lean in and say yes. And usually it's in hindsight that you see God's hand. But where I worked at there was all these different facilities, and there was this one facility that everybody wanted to go to, and it was in chemical compounding and plastics. They called it Gilligan's Island. It was this little bitty what't little bitty, but it was just a compared to the whole factory itself. It was a little significantly smaller, but it was a huge tower and so all the chemicals and stuff would get mixed there, and there was this tower that had an air conditioned control room. You know, you got dirty and it was hard work, but you had a lot of sit downtime, you had air conditioner. And now only had like five or six employees. So when the job opened up there, everybody wanted to go there. And I'd only been there a few years, and there was people that worked there for ten years trying to get into that compound department and couldn't get in. But I was like, hey, I'm going to apply. I want to put my name in the hat. And I did and I was selected, and then I got put with this guy and without mentioning his name my first impression, and this is when I was first coming back to Christ. So this guy was, for lack of a better term, he was a holy roly. He didn't curse, he quoted scripture often. He was at church every town, doors open, and I grew to love this man. But my first impression was like, he's one of those judgy suit and tie guys. I'm going to have to watch myself anything I say or do, he's going to look down on me. But as I got to but I got partnered with him, and so it was only two guys each shift. So I got partnered with him, and throughout the nights man we would have these discussions. And like I said, I grew up in church and I knew the scripture and stuff, but I was still coming to terms and coming back, and he really witnessed to me, and he changed my mind on a lot of things, taught me a lot of things. And I seen a lot of people do some dirty things to this man, and he always took it with a smile and never got angry at nobody. And I remember I talked to him and I just do like, man, why don't you say something? Why didn't you do that you let people run over you? And he was like, no, he said, not accountable for what these people do to me. He said, I'm accountable for what I do. I have tons of little stories of just how that man and how he walked and how he lived had just a profound effect on me and brought me back into a relationship with God a lot faster and taught me a lot of a good lesson. So I can't remember who said it, but my wife used to quote it all the time, and it's kind of stuck with me. But it was a preach of gospel wherever you go and occasionally speak, and I was like, oh yeah, so so many times this wicked thing just ruins up our witness to Christ instead of helping. But that was probably looking back, one of the first things is just that's how I see God in the workplace is through people and their testimony and how they react and things. And that's something I look back now, it's like, man, I really screwed that up a lot of times.
Speaker 3: Well, join the club. It's a big club too, justin, isn't it.
Speaker 1: It's a wonderful thing when that God always takes crooked sticks and manages to draw straight lines with crooked stick.
Speaker 3: Yes, he does. And that that reference your wife was referring to. I think there's some some question whether for Saint Francis of ASSISI actually said it or not, but he's kind of given attribution for making that statement. Preach, preach a gospel at all times and if necessary, use words. How do you feel like you've demonstrated that in the workplace? Can you think of any examples yourself?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but honestly, I can give you more bad examples.
Speaker 1: That's how good.
Speaker 2: But no, Once I, you know, I went through that, and then I ended up going into other workplaces and stuff that really kind of stuck with me. And and I guess I can give his first name because it kind of goes with this little joke I want to give. But his name was Chuck. And so it was like, once I got older and figured everything out, I would ask myself a certain situation, what would Jesus do? Well, I applied it to Chuck, like with what would Chuck do? Because that, you know, Chuck was something that I had firsthand experience with. But honestly, I've tried to just open some people in the workplace and be my best version of an imaguer of Christ. And so like with people through work and people have problems and you spend ninety percent of your time at your job and you get to form relationships with people, and the world is it's just everybody's stuck in their bubble. And I mean, it is a wicked place. But I like to think that most people are genuinely good people and they're they're carrying people. But we get so involved in our own little bubble. It's like the mouse on the wheel. We're too busy running and spending our will to look around and be attentive and help others and things like that. So it's like when you get to form these relationships with people, they will they'll confide in you about things that got going on in their life, and even non believers, and so try to listen and show sympathy and show them that I genuinely care about their situation and try to give the best biblically sound advice that I can, and especially with non believers, because honestly, I have actually witnessed to people that were hardcore atheists, I mean, like blatant, like angry, did not believe in God, didn't want to talk about God, and I would like to think I don't want to take credit, but i'd like to think but through some of my dialogue and witnessing to them at least soften the ground for Christ to come in. Then they end up turning their life over to God because I use those as basically bank transactions, is how I explained it to people. It's like too many times us as Christians, we go up to people, and you know, we're quick to go up to people and chastise them and belit them and kind of come over the top of them. And granted they might be doing stuff wrong, not living their life right, but nobody's going to listen to somebody scream and pointing their finger and belittle on them. And so I tell people, you've got to treat people like bank accounts. You can't just walk up to a bank and demand a withdrawal and not made any deposits or investments. They're going to turn you away and laugh at you. So people's no different. So in your daily life, just show care for people. You know, hey, how was your weekend, What did you do this week? How's the family? Well, your mother's sick with cancer. Hey, you want me to pray for it? Will you allow me to pray for her? And you see them the next week or next day, Hey, how's your mother doing? Just show concern and compassion and those are deposits in that person's account. And then once you have done that, made those deposits, then you can look into to make them withdrawals. And so because it's a lot you're in a lot better position. You can just say, hey, we're friend, I care for you, I pray for you. I have invited you over the house for lunch. And do you think what you're doing is edifying to God? Or do you think this this thing that you're doing is helping your situation because you're coming from a place of love instead of chastise what You've made several investments, So there's some actual things in there that you can pull from.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Justin, you remind me of the old saying people don't care what you know until they know that you care.
Speaker 3: Well, Justin. You know, a lot of us, I think we kind of do our jobs day to day and while we might even have or sense that opportunity to be christ in the workplace, some of us feel like that's kind of all we can do. That's just about it about it, But that's not the choice you made a few years ago and you started you kind of took things to another level. I had the pleasure of being on your podcast a couple of years ago. We talked about a Christian worldview back then, and what I was really impressed with you guys then that was that you didn't just sit around and talk. You did your homework. So what that said to me was just how hard you guys were working. And so you got a job and you got this passion around the Dig podcast. Walk us through a little bit. How do you do all of this and why are you doing all this? So tell us a little bit about your passion about and about the Dig podcast.
Speaker 2: We honestly, it's one of those things I tell people. Your God is a heavenly father, and each and if you are a father, then each of your children are so different. It takes a total different way to persuade one in the other. It takes a total different way to discipline and correct one from the other. God is no different. And I would love to say that I chose to do the Dig Bible podcast because I felt it was my duty and to Christ and to help the body of Christ, and because all those are our noble and great things. And with me, I've always just been fascinated by the Word of God, and I've just loved history, and I was deep diving into these subjects on my own and studying the Word and even looking into the things that are in the Bible that you know, you don't hear about it in church. You know, the Bible is the most supernatural book in the world. It's got that I believe it has the answers to everything. So from twenty twelve to twenty twenty two, I've just been just studying and reading and deep diving this stuff, and reading the Hebrew and going back to the Greek and seeing the original languages and how these words sometimes have different meanings and it changes the context of the passage, and it does it just opens up so much more stuff and brings a better appreciation to the Word.
Speaker 3: And come on, now, justin an old fact, factory worker can't be looking to Hebrew and Greek.
Speaker 2: Now, come on, here's the thing we are without an excuse anymore. There's so many Bible apps, and one that I will shamelessly plug is Logos Bible software. If this guy that barely graduated twelfth grade can do this, you could do this. You go in there and they have these things called inner linears and you can pull up your Bible digitally on your computer, laptop, even your phone, and you can select Hebrew or Greek and it has it all in line, side by side, so you can see the words how they compare, and then even highlight them and do word searches. You know how many times this word was used, and so many times we forget to realize that these languages are no different from ours. We have one word that has four to five different meanings.
Speaker 3: So that's a great plug for logos. Bill, I think you're an equal user of Logos as I am. And we'll even in the show notes going to link there because we gain a lot of value and all that's available. They're so good plug for those guys, So keep going justin and then.
Speaker 2: What so after doing all this one day, it was just some people call it a conscience, some people call it the universe, and us we call it God the Holy Spirit. Something just hit me one day and was like, why are you doing all this? Is it just to selfishly just have all this and not share it with people. And then I was like, well, maybe I can do a small group. Maybe I can just invite fifteen to twenty people and we'll get together once or twice a month and hang out and talk about these things and study the Word of God. And I honestly had three guys show up and we had three meetings, and we talked about Mike Kaiser's of the Unseen Realm, his book, and Mike Kaiser, for those that are unfamiliar, is he's a Greek Scholar's he Ruth Galler, He's got multiple doctor's degree in ancient dead languages. When seminary just a very intelligible, knowledgeable guy, and he talks about the unseen around the supernatural world view the Bible, and the first couple chapters of that book he talks about not the one rebellion that we as Westerners focus on, the Adam and even the Garden, but he says there was three rebellions. There was the Garden, there was the Tower of Bibble, and then there was Genesis six. So we talked about those in our first three meetings and Steve was like, man, justin we need to be recording this stuff. This is profound. Other people need to hear this stuff. And I knew nothing about podcasting, and I was like, uh uh, no way. And once I actually got to looking in and seeing what podcasts were and how people were able to be face to face at least digitally and talk with these authors and these scholars and these just intelligent ten thousand hour research people and ask their questions and things like that. Now that kind of enticed me because God knows the desires of my heart and he was like, okay, justin, I can give you what you want, but you're gonna do what I want to help me. So I selfishly was like, okay, let's do this. I figured it out just to be able to talk to these guys and learn some more, and it just totally grew and just blew up. And from three rednecks in a ten garage that never touched a piece of audio equipment, don't have any alphabet suit before our name, no college degrees, are studying Greek and Hebrew and talking about the Word of God and deep diving and talking to these authors and researchers and stuff, and just really uncovering these treasures as in the Word of God, is just an amazing journey now that I can sit back and look at it, because it was one hundred percent God. There's no way three dumb rednecks from East Tennessee you can grow a podcast following up, you know almost. We're almost two years in now and we got almost two hundred thousand downloads and reaching people into India, China with the Word of God.
Speaker 3: Totally amazing. Justin and tell us the name of your podcast.
Speaker 2: Yep, it's called the dig Bible Podcast. And if that wasn't enough, I'm just a glutton for punishment. I was like, man, I need more, I need more. So I started another podcast called Prometheus Lens Podcast, and with that one is more like, how do I word it? It's ah, it is the ministry that is not a ministry because the dig I mean, if the Bible's in the name, it's more right there in your face. And the Prometheus Lens. I go into different things. I go into the wu as we call it now. I look at Bigfoot, I look at aliens. I look at conspiracy theories, lost civilization, Graham Hancocks, the weird stuff. But I filter it all through a biblical lens and the Bible. So a lot of people that listen to this show are not Christians, They're not believers, and so I get their attention with these fascinating subjects and filter it the biblical lens and a biblical worldview and show the way of Christ while I have their attention and trying to plant seeds that way, but at the same time selfishly scratching that itch that I have.
Speaker 3: Well, anybody that's listening that thinks this guy is a dumb hillbilly is not paying attention because I've watched you and Steven and Ben as you guys, and listen to you often because I'm fascinated by many of these topics too, But you just don't bring up a topic and have a superficial conversation about it. I love how you do, really do dig, both in the Prometheus Lens as well as in the Big Bible podcast. Hey, I wonder Justin if you were to think back, let's say, back up as you like to say, twenty years ago and just could kind of have a conversation with the young Justin Brown, what kind of advice would would you give him?
Speaker 2: A man? And that's a double edged sword with me because I'm an experienced guy. I think I'm a firm believer that my experience has shaped who I am today, and that if I would have changed a lot of the stuff that I went through in the past I went down, maybe I wouldn't be who I am today and doing the things that I'm doing today. But one thing for sure, in the very least I went through the mud. I tell people my story is the story of the prodigals. One hundred percent. I rolled in the pig excrement. And granted, there's some lessons to be learned from rolling in the pig excrement if you're fortunate enough to learn from it, but I didn't have to roll in it. As long as I did, I would love to just go back and tell myself that, and honestly just not even tell I guess from mind myself of something that I already knew. That you are a son of God? Are you acting like a son of God? Are you behaving like a son of God? And you have a mission, you have a purpose, you are wasting it And sorry, guys, gosh, And like I said, I learned a lot of good lessons, went through a lot of unnecessary stuff, and hurt a lot of people that I wish that I could avoid. But God takes what the devil means for harm and turns it for the glory of those who love him. So yeah, I went through a lot of sexual promiscuity. I went through a lot of drugs, a lot of manipulation, a lot of hurting people. And I hate that and would love to take that back. But God takes that and uses it for the best of the situation, for the kingdom. Because now that I do have this podcast, in this platform I do, I tell my test money often, and it is it's one of those humbling things that makes you feel too inch, it's tall, it makes you feel dirty. But at the same time, God reminds you it's not about you, it's about him. It's about the Kingdom. It's about the Body of Christ and those that are rolling in that pig extrament right now, and by hearing your story, hearing your testimony can help pull them out. And you know, with my testimony being the way that it is, I'm going to reach people that people that never done those types of things or had those experiences are not going to reach. So that's just one of those things that's the body of Christ. Some people are legs, some people are arms. Not everyone's the same. So it's like we have to use the gifts that God has given us, use the experiences that we have went through, and do our best to glorify God because there is other people just like us going through the same things that we are going through or have went through that we can help.
Speaker 3: It's exciting to hear you acknowledge where you were. I'm exciting because I'm reminded of something I heard someone say the other day that every time I think about how little I have, I try to remind myself of how much I've been given. And I don't think that any of us can avoid envy at times. And then in the same way, I don't think there's any of us that can avoid regret. And you've been so articulate justin just to recognize that the things that we most deeply regret and in a lot of ways probably should. I have so many regrets myself. Some I'm still discovering that I recognize that in spite of me, God has been gracious and generous and forgiving when I've I've done nothing to deserve any of that. Thank You for sure.
Speaker 2: What we deserve.
Speaker 1: It makes grace all that more amazing when we ponder who we are left of ourselves.
Speaker 3: Would you give any or wisdom to some of the younger folks who maybe are in their early stages of work and frustrated with life and are wondering where God is in their life?
Speaker 2: I guess with honestly, with me, something that I tried to instill into my kids. I tell the mistake take some words of advice from an old man, and it's experiences that I've had and I wish that I could change and go back. I tell them. Number one is the OQP. Only quality people. You are who you surround yourself with. So make sure that that is only quality people. And if you are the smartest, the most righteous, the most whatever in your friends circle, you either need a new friend circle or you need to expand that friend circle. We need someone constantly pushing us to become better and to grow ourselves. You know, we need things to chase and aspire to in life. We have a finite time here, so we need to make the most of that time. I don't care if you're an eagle, if you're running around with a bunch of turkeys, it's a matter of time before you forget how to fly and you start clwking.
Speaker 3: There's some of that East Tennessee wisdom coming out.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Another thing too, is up with your jobs and with what you do. I know, especially right now with everything the way it's going, inflation is through the roof, and it's gotten a lot harder on people, especially the middle and lower middle class. So we think a lot about money. Money is important. We need money to live. Don't make money your deciding factor in your profession or what you choose to make a living with. I used to joke really and proudly tell people that I'm a mercenary, and people like, huh. I'll be like, well, you know, mercenary goes to the highest bid or whoever pays any the most, that's where he's going to go. I said, that was me, I said, when people look at my resume, I mean, I wasn't a job hopper. I held these jobs for a long time, but when I found another job that paid better, I went. And it's like I worked in I built wood trusses and floors and roof trusses and stuff for a long time. Don't a lot of cortry work, went from there to forge and steel and went from there and was heat treating steel, and from that I went into see and see machining and then went into plastics and chemical compounding. So it's like, if you look at my resume, you're like, go e man, this guy's done everything. And it's because I was a mercenary. I went where the highest bidder was and there was large lumps of my life that I was just absolutely miserable because I was a slave to the money. I absolutely tested the job, I tested the people that I worked with, and I was just slowly just killing myself, not only physically, but spiritually and emotionally. I used to tell people, it's like every time I punched that clock at some of those jobs I was at, it was taking a piece of my soul every time I clocked in. And my advice that I would give is to tell people that you have to sacrifice something in life. We are sacrificial creatures, but luckily we get to choose what we sacrifice. So if you like going on nice vacations, having nice cars, nice houses and stuff like that, then yeah, you're probably gonna have to take a high paid job, whether you like it.
Speaker 3: Or not.
Speaker 2: If you're a person that likes family time and experiences, then yeah, you can afford to get a job that doesn't pay as much and have as long hours, but you are sacrificing the nice vacation, the nice cars and houses. And so figure out what's important to you and adjust your lifestyle accordingly, because if you can find what you love to do and figure out a way to make money doing that, then you are going to be so much happier in your life. If you're going to be emotionally happier, you're going to be more pleasant to be around. And then that's just going to rub off on your family and your friends and the people around you. And then while you're doing that, if you are a Christian, and if you're watching this show, it's a pretty good high probability that you are. You find what you love, you find a way to make money doing what you love, and while doing that, do the kingdom work and be a good imager of God. Chasing the dollar and being a slave to that green paper rectangle shaves years off your life. It makes you a miserable person, and it damages your image bearing capabilities.
Speaker 1: Think about what when Jesus said, what is it profitable man if he gains the whole world but forfeits the soul.
Speaker 2: Solomon's prime example, if you read Ecclesiastes, he had it all, but he was miserable.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Really comes across that way, doesn't it. And obviously end of his life was not one to be proud of. Justin you, you've been super to give us as much time, especially I know you're one day off, so thank you so much for sharing it with us.
Speaker 2: I appreciate the conversation. Like I said, guys, I have a podcast. You didn't have to twist my arm too hard to talk to you.
Speaker 3: Well, tell us where we find your podcast and mind our listeners of the two podcasts you're now doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the dig Bible podcast that was the genesis of my podcasting journey. Still doing that, me and two of my buddies out of my buddy's garage. You can find us anywhere podcasts can be found, Apple, Spotify, YouTube, We're on all the social media channels, Facebook, Instagram, te talk X, all those fine venues, and the same thing with the Prometheus Lens podcast, YouTube, Spotify, Apple, all those places. See anywhere that you can sume this type of content. If you just search up our name, you'll be able to find us there.
Speaker 1: Super well, justin Thanks so much for your time today, and we will look forward to perhaps chatting again sometime.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I'd love it. Just wind me up, let me go.
Speaker 1: Thanks for watching and listening. Don't forget to click the light button on your app. You can find more episodes like this at our website when Loveleads dot com. While there, you can also sign up for our newsletter, where we explore many of these topics deeper and be the first to hear about upcoming podcasts, topics and guests. You can help more people find out about the podcast by liking us on social media pages like Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn. Finally, please subscribe wherever you get your podcasts and on YouTube. Until next time, remember the difference it makes when Love Leads