Speaker 1: It is Ryan here, and I have a question for you. What do you do when you win?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Are you at fist pumper, A wooo, a handclapper, a high fiver?
Speaker 3: I kind of like the high five.
Speaker 1: But if you want to hone in on those winning moves, check out Chumbuck Casino. At Chumbackcasino dot com, choose some hundreds of social casino style games for your chance to redeem serious cash prizes. There are new game releases weekly, plus free daily bonuses, so don't wait start having the most fun ever at Chumbuck Casino dot com.
Speaker 4: No prigs necessary, d I lost the terms conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 2: Lucky Land Casino asking people what's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 5: Lucky? In line at the deli, I guess.
Speaker 3: Ah, in my dentist's office more than once.
Speaker 5: Actually do I have to say?
Speaker 3: Yes? You do? In the car before my kid's PTA meeting?
Speaker 5: Really? Yes?
Speaker 3: Excuse me? What's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 5: I never win?
Speaker 3: And tell well, there you have it.
Speaker 1: You could get lucky anywhere playing at lucky landslots dot com.
Speaker 3: Play for free right now. Are you feeling lucky?
Speaker 2: Nope?
Speaker 3: Just necessary void were my long eighteen plus terms conditions plus you will.
Speaker 6: You are now listening to True Murder The most Shocking Killers in True crime History and the authors that have written about them Gasey, Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker BTK. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host, journalist and author Dan Zupansky.
Speaker 7: Good evening, This is your host Dan Zupanski for the program True Murder, The most shocking Killers in true crime History and the authors that have written about them. By the time Richard Trenton Chase graduated high school, everyone knew he was strange, but no one had any idea how bizarre he had become or what dark impulses were flowing through his troubled brain. The transformation from the outwardly strange young man to the diabolical killer he ultimately became was gradual and would not become known until it was too late. First, it was the killing of small animals and birds and the drinking of their blood. However, when these sacrifices failed to satiate his needs, Richard Chase would seek out the highest form of life, and the city of Sacramento, California, would react in horror to the hideous murders and mutilations committed by his hand. For those living in the quiet neighborhoods where the murders occurred, it was nothing less than a time of terror until the fiend was captured. Vampire the Richard Chase Murders, including twenty three photos, is an in depth look into the life and disturbed mind kind of a killer, his family, and his many victims. The living as well as the dead, discover what it was like for the police and what a difficult job they had. Finding a killer they knew wouldn't stop until he was apprehended was a race against time and a series of murders that would stun even the most hardened investigators. It is the story of a city under siege, held captive by the man whose appetite for blood could not be satisfied. The book that we're featuring this evening is Vampire the Richard Chase Murders with my special guest journalist and author, Kevin M. Sullivan. Welcome back to the program and thank you for agreeing to this interview. Kevin M. Sullivan.
Speaker 8: Oh, thanks, Dan it's great to be back with you.
Speaker 7: Well, thank you very much for agreeing to this interview. This is for those who have not heard of Richard Chase. This will be a program they won't soon forget. That's certain now, yes, And like I said just before we went on the air, I said, for those that have feint of heart even for this program, which is the most shocking killers in true crime history, this is one of the more shocking programs. When I ask you for some details, and the details are obviously very important to this story, and those details are very, very very graphic. Let's start off right now with.
Speaker 8: Tell us.
Speaker 7: I think the best way to do this is to tell us about the early life of Richard Chase. Tell Us, let's go back as far as you found out from all your information and what you've provided in your book Vampire, and tell us about the early life of Richard Chase. Where he grew up, what was he like, what was his parents, what was his early life really like.
Speaker 8: Richard Chase was born on Night twenty, nineteen fifty in Sacramento, California. You know, the nineteen fifties were a time of prosperity, our country having gone through the Second World War by the prosperity. But I say in the book that you know, even though it was a time of prosperity, every family is different, like every individual is different. And the Chase, the home in which Richard Chase grew up in was in many ways standard for a lot of families, but it also came with a lot of negatives. His mother, and I believe she's deceased now. She and her husband, Beatrice Chase and Richard were married and nine months later, you know, Richard was born and he was the first child to be born in his family. And it appears that the family had problems almost from the beginning, that is the relationship between Beatrice and Richard.
Speaker 5: And.
Speaker 8: It was not a smooth time for that family. And several years later I would have to check my book, but his sister, Pamela was born and she I think is the only surviving member of the family. But it was a time where there was a good deal of strife between the parents, with the addition of some mental problems on the part of Richard's mother, and she had been a school teacher. But I go into this relationship in depth. As far as his early years, he had to contend with some things in the home that weren't pleasant. But if you looked at Richard from the time he was a little boy on up until say high school, much of what you would see was pretty normal. He would play Little League, and he was a Cub scout, and he had friends. Now when he reached high school, he began to change a little bit. And it's interesting because sometimes people that become psychotic later on or mentally disturbed, sometimes that does not occur until they are up in their late teens and early twenties. And so there is a question as to what would have happened to Richard had he not gotten into drugs when he was in high school, which of course added to whatever mental impairment or illness that he had. But he may have gone the way of mental illness anyway within his makeup that it wouldn't necessarily be just the drugs. But I think the addition of the drugs helped him become quite strange when he was in high school. And I'm sorry, what kind of excuse me.
Speaker 7: What kind of drugs are we talking about? Specifically? And from his you said, relatively normal behavior despite some problems in the family, But again a lot of people have a lot of problems, rocky marriages, A lot of people have gone through that. What was the one thing that seemed to be in terms of his behavior that seemed to be a shift from normalcy to this odd, more strange behavior. And what kind of drugs was he doing that you say was probably not helping or maybe even been a catalyst for his mental illness. Tell us about that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think the catalyst was probably the LSD that he was on. He's listed as having, of course, most marijuana, which that did not do what that would not have contributed so much to any kind of mental disorder, but the LSD certainly would have. And then he was also on amphetamines. But some things that were in his childhood that even though he appeared normal, like, for instance, I thought this was interesting, he was force fed once by his father when he was two, and then he bombed up all the food. And Pamela Chase and I didn't get the interview her. I couldn't locate her. But most everything I'm getting is from the record of their home life and the testimony that they had given to the authorities. But you know, the father was a really strict disciplinarian and so they wouldn't but have so much when Richard was young, although there could have been some heavy handed things going on. Uh, like I say, at the force feeding, and I think he threw when when Richard was eleven, the dad got very angry with him and maybe threw him up against the wall. Uh. And in fact that did happen. I think that was in connection with him accidentally uh losing the car key. So these Maine impressions on Richard. I don't know how comfortable he was being a child in that home frankly, but like this is just going to be a part of it. There's there's probably things. It's like with Bundy, We're just never going to know about why he went this way. And and really, uh, the drugs in the LSD. There was a member in my family, my brother, he got into drugs in the nineteen sixties and uh, you know he was kind I know this stuff firstthand and he he he became very mentally unbalanced and uh he was diagnosed later as a paranoid schizophrenic. And this is all connected with his makeup as well as his drug use in the late nineteen sixties and early nineteen seventies, but he never turned violent. So see, this is the aspect of Chase that we're looking at mental impairment and mental illness, and yet he went down the way of being a very diabolical individual. But we'll get in more to that later about how this is an offshoot and why this mental illness that he had drove him in that area. But there is another factor to that. In high school, you know, he was normal inasmuch as he was a heterosexual and he wanted a normal relationship with a girl, but he couldn't perform sexually. He was impotent, and he had a hard time sustaining in erection, and of course this bothered him and the girls that he dated. Girls, they didn't dump him right away over it, but they eventually did. And I say in the book that whatever else, inferiority and insecurity and so all of that became even more heightened during his high school years. I think he had I just check the book. But his first arrest for marijuana, I think that happened in I think in nineteen sixty nine, so he would be nineteen. He would have just been out of school. That was his first arrest. And I got a picture of the mup shot in the book is he's very young there, but it was very Again, it's going to be it's going to be the drugs, it's going to be his makeup. It's just there's going to be some things that when you look at his life you'll see where all of this played apart. And yet even going down the road of mental illness, and I don't mean legal insanity. He was legally sane when he commit these murders with question, but he was also mentally imbalanced, very heavily mentally ill. He was just he was a very very strange individual.
Speaker 7: Now you're you're talking about high school, and again we we just kind of glossed over what what behavior now in retrospect was he doing and even people knew again not not after the fact, after the trial, after the the incidents, the murders, but what was he doing? And then I'm referring to obviously with the animals, what was he doing with animals at this at an early age that you know, again it's almost text well it's not almost, it's textbook in term of when we talk about profiling, so you know, tell us about that, what.
Speaker 8: Was he doing with animals. Well, okay, it's uh, the the the He was convinced, see this is see, this is the funny thing. Although he was legally saying, you know, normal society would look at a guy like this like, well, he's just gone off his rocker, he's nuts. Chase developed a strong sense of that there was something wrong with him and that he needed blood to sustain his life, and the killing of animals, you know, small animals, birds, and the drinking of their blood without question. He did this because he thought he needed it. And you know, he would say strange things. Now, this would be a little, this will be a little later on. When the strangers first started to appear with him, it was in his high school years as he went down the way of drugs. But once he got out of high school, he became really People knew that he was strange, he was mentally unbalanced. He wasn't killing an yet, he wasn't killing animals that early, but as things progressed, it when from small animals and then he started killing dogs and dogs became a big And it wasn't just killing the dogs or drinking their blood, but he would eat portions of the dogs as well. Now he believed that. He told somebody once he said, you know, when these things started coming to the surface, that he believed someone had stolen his pulmonary artery, that his heart, though these were in his mind legitimate physical things that were going on. This is the difference between like Richard Chase and for instance, Ted Bundy. T they're both diabolical killers. But you couldn't look at Ted Bundy and say he's crazy or he's nuts. But it's easy to look at a guy like Richard Chase and say, well, he's crazy. He's crazy. People don't say things like that. So you had a lot of very strong paranoia emotions. He was eventually diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic, although there were some that didn't agree with that. Without question, he was deeply mentally ill. But he again, as we get into the story more, when he got into the murders, he was he proved by the actions that he took that he was trying to conceal what he was doing, which taught to planning and awareness of what society believed what was right or wrong, and that murder was wrong. So but he was a very very very demented individual.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 7: But this is one of those cases where it's the very again people you can say, well, that's not legally insane, so when you say he's crazy, but those these are the kinds of murders that are so senseless and over the top and vicious and humiliating and stuff out of fiction right now. So, so what does he what's his life you're pointing, you're alluding to that his strange behavior becomes a bit of a loner, uh, to say the least. What's his contact with his family?
Speaker 4: Is?
Speaker 7: He's still living with his family? Tell us what happens after high school? Where does he go to his any career plans? What what happens with his life?
Speaker 8: Well, he he enrolls at American River College in Sacramento, and he's by that time, you know, he's he's pretty well mentally impaired. His grades are not that great. He drags his schooling out. He is still living at home. But after a while he uh he met some folks out Uh they saw him sitting on his long one day and these uh, these folks were renting some rooms in the house. They got to talking with him and they made him a mate. But you know, I see in the book because Chase was not drooling and babbling or whatever they thought he might make, you know, just he seemed for the few minutes that they talked fairly normal. Once he got inside with them, and his father helped him, uh, you know, with with you know, the rent. He Chase didn't work a lot, but he would work some, but his his father would help with that. And then they began to see how strange he was. And so it didn't take people too long. You know, he would do weird things. I mean like for instance, they uh, they would uh have people over and you know, he would exchange. At one point he uh when he when he was with this couple, Uh, he would he had his own bedroom, but he boarded up the door, and then he went into the closet and not and knocked a hole through that wall so he could come and go. And then he would keep you know, boarded up. And so he became very paranoid with them. Uh. It became he became past living with with with these folks, and they asked him to leave. He wouldn't, so they left. And then this girl's brother, uh Rachel, I think her name is Stadium. I don't have to look in front of me, but uh, she her her brother. And so if his friends moved in. They had a band, and Richard was always wanting to join in the band, and they would ask him not to, but he would anyway. They would have let's take some girls over. He would stroll out in the into the room completely nude, and he was just always doing and he was stoned and he was high on drugs all the time. So that as this progressed through his early life, and of course finally he he you know, he had to withdraw from American River College. Was he just couldn't cut it, and you know, and so he would go back to his mother's house on Montclair, which this whole thing is in just one section of the Sacramento. And you know, once he starts committing the murders, they're.
Speaker 2: All Lucky Land casino asking people what's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 5: Lucky? In line at the Delhi I guess.
Speaker 3: Ah, in my dentist's office more than once.
Speaker 5: Actually do I have to say?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: You do?
Speaker 3: In the car before my kid's PTA meeting. Really, yes, excuse me, what's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 5: I never win and tell.
Speaker 3: Well, there you have it.
Speaker 1: You can get lucky anywhere playing at Lucky Landslots dot com.
Speaker 3: Play for free right now? Are you feeling lucky?
Speaker 2: No, we're not necessary foid my low eighteen plus Terms and Conditions of Pluck sets every details With.
Speaker 5: Lucky land Slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 3: Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today. Has anyone seen the bride and broom?
Speaker 5: Sorry? Sorry, we're here.
Speaker 3: We were getting lucky in the limo when we lost track of time. No Lucky Land casino with cash prizes that add up quicker than he gets registered. But in that case, I pronounce you lucky.
Speaker 5: Lucky land slots dot com. Daily bonuses are waiting.
Speaker 4: No purchase necessary, boyd, We're prohibited by Law eight team plus terms and conditions applying See website for details.
Speaker 8: Done within a radius of about a mile of his own and his father once the divorce went through with he you know, he lived on Valkyrie, which is very close to all that stuff, and Montclair was close. So it's all right there.
Speaker 6: And so.
Speaker 8: After a while and all of this you have to understand is a progression, and it's you know, it's the drugs it's the mental impairment and the illness. And then usually with a lot of some people, they become harder to deal with, harder to live with. The paranoia will increase. Sometimes there's violence, and this is what happened with Richard. He would get in arguments with his mother and like when his sister would come over even when she had left home, and he would think that they were poisoning him. And he had slapped his mother once and pushed her down another time. Or his father would have to come over to try to calm things. And one time they got in a fist fight in the front yard, and and so he became very very hard to deal with. And when on the one occasion when Richard hit his mother, she called the police and he left. He took off front and of course the officers came and they said, well, you know, we'll be happy to arrest your son, but you're gonna have to uh, she's you know, because they didn't witness it. They said you have to take a warrant out for his arrest. So she didn't want to do that, so she called the Aquarium Effort, which is a place out there for where people can seek help for mental problems, so on and so forth, and so that pushed him into a road of going down that way, and Richard Chase became very interested. He wasn't opposed to seeing doctors because he really, really really believed that these strange things that his heart was stopping, that pulmonary artery was stolen, bones were growing out through the back of his head. And of course he'd get in there with these doctors and they would, you know, they would write their reports. I've been through all the reports. A lot of them are reproduced in the book, and you know, they just you know, he's diagnosed his PARENTO, he's schizophrentic, this, that, and so you know, he was willing to go down that road. Now. For a while, before these murders occurred, they had gotten Chase on some medication which was actually helping him. And in a case like that, they are these drugs are designed they can't it's not that they no longer are schitzophrak or whatever it is, but it can keep some of these things in checked to where the improvement could be considered guarded, but that it could happen. And in Chase's case, there was improvement for a while. His mother said it was for two years. I don't see that in the record. It's not there. His father said it wasn't two years. But the funny thing about it was is that the family was so burdened because, as I say in the book, everybody in the family of a menally old person pays a price. They suffer along with it a lot of demands from those folks, and there's a lot of heartache and things like that. So there's a lot of grieving that goes with that, and there's financial concerns that people can't work. There's a lot of strain on families that take care of people like this. Well, here he's starting to improve. He was always just very, very thin. It was something he didn't like about himself. But he was so incredibly thin and he was able to put I think some twenty pounds on his frame during this period of improvement when they had him on medication. But his mother did not like the fact that it made him like a zombie, so of her own volition about doctor's orders, she had him stopped the medication. Well, you know, when you got somebody like this and they're being helped by it, you know, you had to be off the wall to take them off of it, because there's no place to go if you take him off the medication. So he went back downhill. And this is not to say that this time of improvement would have continued on the medication, but she guaranteed that it wouldn't continue by taking him off. And to these two these are also reports, these doctor's reports where they go over this in the in his file. And so from there he descended. Well after the incident where there was some violence, she and her ex husband moved you know him out to a house of really a small little cottage house behind this other home in that area. He was there for a while. Then he ended up on Watt Avenue in apartment twelve. He was there for a while, decided he wanted to leave, and then of course there's the by that time he's already killing animals. In fact, the drinking of rabbits blood happened while.
Speaker 2: He was in the.
Speaker 8: Living in that small cottage. His father used to come over and visit him some and they played chess, and he asked about the rabbits. He said, Richard, why do you have these rabbits? You know, Chase It bought these rabbits from a guy in Rio Linda, California, and he said, well, they're for eating. Well, you know, mister Chase has been used to strange things coming out of Richard for a long time. He didn't know he was drinking his blood. But either that night or the next day, it probably is the next day. I'm not sure. I don't think they're sure. Chase injected himself with rabbit's blood and he nearly killed himself. He became really, really sick. So they came over anythinking to the hospital. He was you know, he was very very ill for a while. And of course he did that because he thought he needed it. See this is the type of metal illness that this guy was going through. And because nobody would do that in the right mind. But so anyway, so this progression of killing animals and drinking their blood, and you know Beatrice Chase, I mean, you know, the Chase family had, you know, he had a couple of dogs. I mean, there was some dog and she had. He ended up killing all those animals. And before he killed the animals, she would catch him sometimes squeezing the palls of one of the dogs so hard, or squeezing its jaw, and you know, just to see it suffer. So the precression went from just an odd individual to you know, staying far out things, to being you know, violent towards his family members, not exceedingly violent, but violent enough confrontation is physical, not you know, trying to kill anybody, to then being you know, cruel to these animals, and then killing the animals, drinking their blood. And of course once he was off his medication that was helping him that really there was no turning back. He was just going to go down this road, which he did and he started killing humans. That was going to be the ultimate thing.
Speaker 7: Anyway, what did the psakaya? You say, the system is a paranoid schizophrenic, but obviously they didn't assess them as a paranoid schizophrenic with homicidal tendencies. So did he again the testament did to his part.
Speaker 8: Me, Yeah, see that's the thing. Most see, this is the thing. And I can I can attest to this from having had somebody in our family like this, exactly like this, with the same diagnosis, with the same drug use. And I can tell you that most of the people that ruin their lives this way, and I'm going to say those who let us say, did it through the whosinogenic drugs of the nineteen sixties. For those who change themselves chemically or these imbalances occur, they don't usually go down that road. There's a lot of homeless people that are mentally ill, but they usually don't go down the road of violence. And even if they are too violent or too disruptive to live of families, they don't go out and commit murders. And they certainly don't qu out and commit the kind of murder I should say, murders that Richard Chase committed. It just doesn't usually go down that road. So everybody wants this occurs. They're wanting to take the doctors to task, and they're wanting to take anybody else to task. Who let this guy out on the street. But the problem with all of this is people have rights under the Constitution. And I had a judge tell me once that I was asking to hold my brother longer. He said, listen, he's got rights. They attested, he's not a danger to himself or someone else. He's got rights, and he's right. So you know, they can put holds on people like seventy two hour holds, But I'm telling you, so nobody knew that this guy was going to go down that road. There's a lot of strange people out there who are never going to harm anybody with the same diagnoses.
Speaker 7: Let's make a distinction right now, because this subject comes up and I always try to make this distinction, because we have this particularly infamous case that happened about three years ago, and the person that committed these atrocious murders and cannibalism and decapitation on a greyhound bus is now afforded walking visits outside the mental facility, and he soon will be released within easily within five years. Despite the uh, the outrage from citizens, it won't make any difference. So there's where we are a difference. But here's the thing that I want to say. I'd hate to be a person with mental illness in the future, going to have mental illness or have a family member as mental illness. This has nothing to do most vast majority of people that are mentally ill do not hurt anyone, let alone themselvesselves or everyone else. This is a person that happens to be a killer who happens right it's aphrenic. I let's make that mistation because this guy has been Richard Chase is probably capable of what only a handful of humans in the last one hundred years of a capable of doing. So let's let's make that distinction. Because mental illness already has a stigma. We don't need, you know, I don't think mentally ill people need to be lumped in with killers who happen to have a mental illness.
Speaker 8: No, that's true, That's absolutely true. And so even though he has been given this diagnosis of this, it's still most people that have a diagnosis such such as this, they they don't go down that road. And so once these things occur and there's this uproar, I mean, you know, if you look statistically, it it's just this is a first of all, this type of murder is a rarity, it really is. But but the thing of it is is that just because he was mentally ill, you know, there's other factors going on there. I know, most menial individuals don't do this. They are more likely at some point to perhaps take their own lives maybe, but not to go out and commit murders. But anyway, so this is this is where Chase was, and this was his background, you know, and up until the time when he committed his first murder. His first murder, of course, was nothing like the additional murders to come.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 8: It was very different. But he passed that place from where he was going to drink animal blood that he wanted human blood. Although his first murder, which was the murder of Ambrose Griffin, which was in late December, yeah, of seventy seven. Yeah, and it was just a drive by shooting and chase, you know, lived on on one Avenue and then just down from what is was the street where Ambrose Griffin lives, which is I think I think Robinson Avenue. Again, I don't have my hook in front of me, but it's very.
Speaker 7: Very much Robertson Avenue.
Speaker 8: And so yeah, so this is this is so weird. Here you got a guy fifty one years old with a Bureau of Land Management. It's around and I think around eight thirty at night, you know, just after Christmas and gone to the store with his wife Carol, and they're coming in the door bringing in groceries. Inside is their daughter in law and Gail Griffin, and then one of the sons. That's something one that she was married to. Her husband was somewhere else, but but that but her brother in law or their son was an ouse, David Griffin, And so they carry in, uh some groceries, and Ambrose comes out and he's going to get the last bag, and Carol was I mean, yeah, I mean Gail Griffin was holding the door. Carol was inside, and her other her son was inside, and all of a sudden, like a popping sound, a couple of popping sounds, uh might even sound like firecrackers, and Carol Griffin comes out in time to see her husband turn and fall and she thinks he's having a heart attack, and uh not putting two and two together. Real quiet neighborhood, you know, it's real quiet around here. I mean homicides and they're they're rare, and you know, even though sometimes people have shot around, you know, as I talked about in the book, around the neighborhood, around the creek, and they're out plinking with their guns and people might not like that. Just aren't any homicides like this. So anyway, so you know, they're thinking he's having a heart attack, and they call the you know, paramedics, and they get there, pull back his jacket. He's got a blood stain and he's he's losing consciousness. He did have a chance to fill his wife that he was shot. Well, she's still thinking he had a heart attack. Well they get to the you know it did the bullet has just done too much damage. It's weird too, because when I was in Sacramento doing the doing the uh uh, going through the files that they had real evidence there and I opened the one thing and they had the bullet of Ambrose Griffin that had gone into his body and it had uh you know, uh mushroomed out, you know, from the impact, and and it was odd seeing that. Here I'm writing about this guy, you know, getting ready to write about this guy. And uh. Anyway, but uh so you know, of course he dies and he gets to the hospital and he's he's basically dead on arrival and uh but there's no drinking of blood. This Chase just wanted to kill somebody. He just wanted to kill. He had been going through the neighborhood actually and shooting the Holmes the days prior to that. And there was a lady named Peleski. Uh, she's doing her dishes one night in the kitchen and here because of the bullet whizzing through the glass and goes right through her hair, embedding herself in the wall or something, and there, you know, And then people would hear this shooting, and because sometimes people were shot around the area, they didn't think too much of it. But yeah, but she you know, she called the police or whatever. You know, they came out and cut the bullet or whatever. And then but yeah, so and so he kills Griffin.
Speaker 7: And then that's that's now other than that, other than the other than the gun caliber, what the cops have in terms of evidence, Like you say, this is a very very early Richard Chase just wants to kill somebody. But in terms of the police, this is this is a rare thing, a murder like this. So what do they conclude at this point in terms of who could what's the seeming motive and what do they conclude? And then you can continue on, Yeah, well.
Speaker 8: People had different opinions, but the realized stude cops they could see that it appeared to be a motiveless crime. I mean, the more they investigated this, they could see the Griffin, this is not a guy that has enemies. Now, it was at night, there was no real evidence there, and the place was swarming with cops even at night, but they couldn't see anything. Well, what Chase had done. He had taken this Stober Arms Luger style twenty two caliber pistol, pushed it a little bit out the window and fired it twice, one bullet, striking Ambrose Griffin. The shellcase seems ejected to the right. It's pretty normal. They hit, and of course he's trambling. They landed on his hood and while they're rolling off the hood, he's traveling down the road and he's picking up some speed now because I guess he saw Griffin ball. Well, they ended up landing like two or three doors down about eighty feet I think was the longest one, and the newscrew coming. This was embarrassing to the police. But the news crew came and discovered these shellcase as they were trying to set up cameras the next day. One was in perfect condition. I've also held those of my hand. I mean the oh they were there, and one's been flattened, which it could have been stept on, but more likely a car ran over it. And so anyway, but you know, they did a lot of canvas scene of the neighborhood, it's just regular, uh kind of you know, organized but but grueling sometimes police work. And they discovered that that that Griffin didn't have enemies, and so this is a modivelous crime. And the guy that worked with me, one of the guys worked with me, Bill Roberts, he remembers thinking, and I quote him in the book about that these things, you know, that they didn't even use the term drive by shootings very much, and that these things just didn't happen, not in Sacramento. And uh so, yeah, everybody was shocked, but you know, they knew it was a twenty two caliber and uh but this wasn't one of the real diabac you know, diabolical killing. This is somebody just shooting somebody as they drove by, and it there's no enemies. They just didn't know what to make of it. And I know one person said that they thought, well, maybe it was just some kids shooting at signs, okay, and they didn't mean to hit this guy.
Speaker 5: Wait, the lucky Landslopts. You can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 2: This is your captain speaking. We've got clear runway and the weather's fine, but we're just going to circle up here a while and get lucky. No, no, nothing like that. It's just these cash prizes add up quick. So I suggest you sit back, keep your trade table up right, and start getting lucky.
Speaker 5: Play for free at lucky landslipes dot com.
Speaker 4: Are you feeling lucky? No, we're just necessary void. We're prohibited by Law eighteen plus. Terms and conditions apply. See website for details.
Speaker 8: See all that speculation. And they didn't know. But on the morning of January twenty third, Chase committed his next murder of twenty two year old Teresa Wallin. And I got in the book. You know the Wallins lived on Tioga Way, and that's that their backyard backs up into the back parking lot of a place called the Pantry Market. Well, Chase had been at the Pantry Market that morning, and he was filthy. He was just he had some cruster of something around his mouth. And he ran into an old high school kind of like friend, an acquaintance, a woman named Nancy Holden who was married. Name used to be Westfall. And of course he's exuding weirdness. He's filthy, but he's weird, and she's talking to him and wanted to get away from him talking to her inside the store, and she hurries and gets away from him. And as she's leeving the parking lot, he's trying to open her door because he wants to talk to her. She gets away. She looks in her review mirror and she sees him walking towards the bank the back of the pantry market. Well chases with him in just a short time of committing the murder of Teresa Wallen. And Teresa Wallen was a state worker and she was I think she was working part time for the state, but she had a day off her husband, David, they've been married several years. She was three months pregnant. And he goes in her home. He cuts to the right of the Pantry Market, doesn't go in Wallin's yard, goes down another three or four houses to the right and goes right around the front. And this is so bizarre, you think he walked down the street, but he goes starts cutting and fraud across the front lawn and the front porches of these other homes. Well, he crosses the couple named east Lick, which are like four or five fours up from the Wallins, and he, mister Eastley, gets up and looks at this guy. He's just barely got a shot of him. Okay, So he goes down to the wall in Residents, tries the door of the door's open, and Teresa Wallen is coming through there with a bag. She's just house cleaning, and he shoots and shoots her two two times, and one time a grazer went through her wrist. I've got it in the book. But it wasn't until he shut her like the third time that it pierced her head and you know, was in her brain and she collapsed. She wasn't quite dead, but but she was on her way. And uh then from that came the diabolical stuff that he did, which I've seen the I've seen the crime scene photos.
Speaker 5: It's just ghastly.
Speaker 8: Yeah, they're just ghastly. And uh, this real diabolical stuff. And and and uh so he mutilated her, He drank her blood, and he did those things that that uh you just you know, you just it just sets people apart in the realm of murder. You just it just really really strange stuff. And so he but he's smart enough to wear gloves and uh, he accidentally left his socks behind. They were bloody, but they couldn't trace anything by that. So he leaves this scene of carnage committed in broad daylight, and he goes home and waits for the paper to be delivered. And there's a there's a guy. There's a there's a deputy named Ivan Clark who shows up at the scene. Now, i'van Clark was a hardened investigator. Bill Roberts doing well. They I think they both went through the academy out there, and then Carl Clark came out of that house. He was ashen. It was so horrible.
Speaker 7: And uh, didn't didn't didn't her husband discover his wife though? Talk about Ashton? Yeah, yeah, yeah, so the husband, the husband discovers his wife.
Speaker 8: The husband discovered his wife, but Clark was just when he was there later, he was just, you know, overwhelmed by it and he was ashen. Yes, And uh, what I was gonna say is that Clark was also uh in this case. He was the first one in on the scene of the Maroth murders, which was which was the following Friday on the twenty seventh, So I was kind of getting ahead of myself. Yeah, but Robert told me that Ivan Clark worked both of these homicides, and they deeply affected him, really affected this time. And he wasn't the only and he wasn't the only one. Uh. I can't remember the fellow's name, I've got it written down, but yeah, the husband would came home later. The officers were called he. In fact, when David Walling he was he worked he worked for a company called National Linen. I think that was he was training the guy that takes place. That might have been this last day, but I can't remember. But he was training this this fellow. Well, they he trains him all day and he comes and they out we could go have a couple of beers or whatever. And he drafts home and he's going in the front door and it's dark and the music's on, and he flips on the porch light and he sees what appears to be oil stains in the carpet, and there's garbage strewn all over him. But that goes on. Oil stains. Those are bloodstains. And he had actually killed her in the front room, dragged her body back to the bedroom anyway, so he's calling out for her. Their dog, Brutus comes up to him and he's acting strange, and he goes back in the bedroom and he sees his wife dead. He only looks at her for a few seconds, but there's no mistaking she's dead. She's got she had been cut down the middle and stuff was coming out of her and she just had, you know, some gaffly stuff happ to her. So he runs across to the neighbor's house says, my wife's dead, and then he calls the sheriff. The father comes over. He called his father first, and then they called the sheriff's department. Sheriff's department comes over, the two officers come over. Ivan Clark ends up going over there. So everybody shows up. So he got this ghastly scene. Ray Beyondy, who is the commander of homicide. He gets the call think around nine o'clock or something. No, probably earlier than that, but anyway, so he's called at everybody's there, and then he shows up, and of course beyond he knows from looking at it, and all the officers know that whoever did this is not going to stop. They're gonna have to catch this guy. He's just not He's not gonna go away. He's going to keep doing this. And I got to quote in the book from when I think it was it was Bill Roberts and somebody else shows up there Beyondy makes a remark similar to that, they got to catch this this guy before he does it again. So, I mean, you know, the nobody'd really seen anything like this. I mean, these guys have been to a lot of homicides. It's like this one guy said on the documentary that us always said, but it's not every day when you see that somebody becomes a murder somebody and then cuts them open and moves their stuff around. It just didn't happen so anyway. So that's on a Monday. So here we go leg work, everybody's working overtime. The city's getting just that area of Sacramento is becoming very unnerved that this could happen in you know what, it's still daylight and she's home. It's a quiet neighborhood.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 8: By Friday, Chase goes in and kills just a little bit farther way down on Marywood by the country Club Center, again in a very close radius mile mile and a half from where he lives, and he kills Evelyn Marat and her son Jason, And he kills Evelyn Danny nephew, and then Daniel Meredith who liked Evelyn even though she had a boyfriend, he liked her. All these people were killed, and if we have time, I can go into the sequence of it. But he killed them all, but he didn't kill them all. At the same time, he had parked his car at the country club's center. Oddly it was by a concrete planner sicken kind of out in the lane. He crosses over to Marywood, which dead ends up where the country club's you know, center is. He goes down a couple hundred feet to the house on the right, thirty two oh seven Marywood. The garage door is open. He gets into a there was no forest entry, so they're assuming he went in through the north into the house through the garage. Daniel Meredith had gone with Jason to pick up some snow shoes because he's supposed to go with the family across the street up into the mountains. And while they are gone, he kills you know, Maroth and then he butchers her, just some strange things. He cut her eye out and cut her around the eye and left it sticking out. It just you know, it's just you just wonder it's just it's so so diabolical. And he takes the baby and kills the baby. And then he takes the baby, and of course Meredith and Jason, I guess are still gone. Takes the baby and kills the baby there in the crib, takes the baby into the bathroom where he had taken Evelyn Maroth. And he sodomized Evelyn Maroth in the bathroom. And I say in the book he could do with a dead body what he couldn't do with a living girl, had trouble with sex, but he so, you know, And so here here he is with a dead person. And then he cuts the back of the baby's head open, and and and because of the brain, man in the blood, and so they Daniel, Meredith comes back, and they come into it. Meredith is killed first with a shot to the head. Jason he's got a bullet wound later they discovered in the back of his neck, so he probably turned to run but was killed quickly too. Then they were dragged out of the front room for some distance. I think Meredith was left in the hall. But anyway, so here's this other ghastly murder. But the good thing is is that one thing Chase was. He was a disorganized killer, and it was the chance meeting and hit. This is Friday, the twenty seventh of January nineteen seventy eight, the meeting that Nancy Holden had with Chase at the Pantry Market the previous Monday. Once these other murders occur, she tells her, I think it was her father, who was a retired police sergeant, about this strange guy. Excuse me.
Speaker 7: What it was too, is that we glossed over it too as well as was is that this is something very noticeable. And when the description came it was a man in an orange parka. Yes, kind of an unusual color for a parka. And then Nancy said, ah, she obviously knew there was quite strange behavior, and she recognized him from high school. And then the also all the also her his neighbor and in the Wade apartments. I believed Dawn also put two and two together. But it really was that orange parker I think was one of the big you know, one of the big things that convinced her as well. You know, obviously that chance meeting was very very fortuitous for this, you know, for this case.
Speaker 8: Yeah, what Nancy Westfall Chase made such a strong impression on her has been very very weird, very weird. And when she learned that the murder of Teresa Wallen happened on Tioga Way on that Monday and it's directly behind the Pantry market that in conjunction with like the red parking, Chase acting weird for father said you've got to let them know about it. So that's how this came down. So it was really a stroke of luck because he had been able to elude police, and so we're looking at he's committed to the murders of the Moroth family on Friday, and then you know, it was like the next day when things really started to come together, and when Bill Roberts was trying to locate this person that he had an arrest record, and what was interesting to Roberts was is that he had the history of owning twenty two's playing two automatic pistols, and so that's exactly what was used in the murders. And of course, once they arrested Chase, then you know, they matched the gun immediately to all the murders. Plus there was a lot of forensic evidence. Of course, I mean, even if those to the time before the I mean there was stuff there of the babies and and there was plenty of evidence even beyond the twenty two. But when they caught Chase and they had the gun, it matched all all of the murders Teresa Wall and the you know Maroth family and Ambrose Griffin, which was really good.
Speaker 7: Well, it was very interesting and people could relate to it watching Criminal Minds too. Is that the the obviously the infamous Robert K. Wrestler and another gentleman were brought in to create a profile. How what profile did they create and how close were they went when once they did arrest Richard Chase to that profile.
Speaker 8: You know, I didn't deal a whole lot, you know with that? Uh. I think they gave a profile to be honest, the police, Uh, the the guys I dealt with, and the records that I located, they there wasn't a whole lot in there having to do with that. They already knew from the people on Bernice Avenue and who had seen Chase walking around for instance, they knew they were looking for a scraggly haired young man again with the orange parka but dirty and so I think I can't remember what the FBI, the like the evaluation that they did. But I can tell you from the records that the cops working these things, it had really happened very quickly. The two main murders, Wallin and the Marath happened all within the same week, and they were getting a lot of reports of what this strange person looked like. So I don't know, to be honest, how much the FBI, you know, reports helped them because there was so much going on with just the evidence coming in from the testimony from the people that saw him, like a lot of people's I think there was probably one, two, three, maybe three people on Tioga that saw him right before he killed.
Speaker 7: Yeah, based on face, so they got a good look at him. Yeah, they got a pretty good that's all the profile was. The profile was that he was scraggly thin, probably had a history of mental illness and drug use. So it was just a general profile anyway. It was really the like you say that the dogged police work. Basically, well, they got this and of course a disorganized killer too, that's you know, not as careful as he could be. Now, tell us about the the arrest and questioning of Richard Chase.
Speaker 8: Yes, the Chase was arrested by three detectives. They were all basically like you know, rookie detectives. It was Ken Baker, Bill Roberts, and Wayne Eery. And uh, Bill told me, and he also writes this in the book, he said that he had a really strong feeling that Chase was this guy, even before they were they they actually located him. Uh. Chase was arrested at the number fifteen apartment at Watt Avenue, and Ken Baker had called there and Chase had answered the phone. Ken Baker had acted like that he was, uh, you know, he had had some dealings with him, and Chase kind of got skittish about it and hung the phone up. So when they went to his apartment, they you know, he wouldn't answer the door, and so Bill Roberts went up to the manager's office to call while Ken Baker and Wayne Irie stayed there. Now, fortunately number fourteen apartment was vacant. They got the manager to open up and Ken went inside the next door apartment listen. They could hear movement inside. So while Roberts is still up there, Ken Baker and Wayne Irie made a pretense of leaving and they were talking kind of loudly that you know they would come back, Yeah, but they're actually hiding. Days comes out of his apartment with the box. He's got that twenty two and a holster and a jacket on so you can't see the gun. But he comes out and he's kind of and he turns to the right to go into the parking lot to get the ranchero, but he sees Wayne Irie two doors up or so, hugging a door. Wayne Irie sees him. He immediately steps out for a second, he's going to go back into his apartment, but he bolts the other way and he runs into Ken Baker. Ken Baker already got his forty five out, but Chase throws the box at him as he goes by. So Chase just just is trying to get by him, runs right into Baker. Baker hits him in the head with the forty five and there resting around on the ground, and by that time Wayne Irie has gotten up there, and they you know, they they're able to get this guy on the ground, and you know Iri was going to kill him. You know, he on a documentary he said, once you said, uh, we I already decided if the baby was there, I was gonna kill him, but he you know, he's just not you know, he's just not like that. He got up to Chase and he put the gun his gun, and Chase his fear or something told him, if he doesn't quit fighting, he's gonna blow his brains out. But Chase didn't stop. And that answer, Ari said, that's when you know, you know, we're not like these people. We're not cold blood murderers. So they finally subdued him. He had on him, Daniel Meredith Wallat and uh and and I think his keys as well. Now the keys, I think we're in the bot or know what. The baby he'd already discarded the baby by that church in between the church building and this other building, which they discovered later on. And uh, but anyway, so of course he's arrested. Everybody knows that this is the guy. Chase will not admit to anything but killing animals and killing uh you know, birds or dogs or whatever. He he won't admit to killing humans. His admissions to these things came later, of course, from all of that, came to psychiatric reports and uh, you know, all these many things, and they determined Chase was was you know, you know he was capable to stand trial. And uh so, uh you know, uh Ronald Docdorman was the main prosecutor's assistant, Al Loker. Al loc is a really nice guy. I didn't get to talk to talk to him, but I got to talk to Locer. He said, with Sacramento you know, uh, the the Sacramentary uh, Sacramento County Die's office. So he's still there. He's still in that office. Uh So they they they made a great case against Chase, and and and and document really knew how to to do this fair salomy. Uh yeah, a fair of salami, which is Chase his attorney. He this guy had an uphill battle all the way and he wanted to yeah, and you know, it was just it was just a foregone conclusion that was not gonna go his way. But he he worked hard and and uh I've spoken to Paris, you know, on the phone two or three times. He's he's a nice guy. But it was an uphill battle and he was hoping to save Chase from the death penalty, which of course he chased got the death penalty. But he took care of you know, you know things himself, and he ended up you know, killing himself in UH in San Quentin.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 8: It's called cheeking your meds. He had been saving up the medications. I always thought that Chase was trying to kill himself, but I talked to Al Loker and he said, I don't necessarily think so. And when Loker told me why, it really made sense. Loker said, you know, he was always thinking all this stuff was wrong with him. He he said, I think a lot of people seem to think that he was probably trying to save up all of this medication to take it one time, to really finally knock this stuff out in him. And of course he did cure himself, but not in the way he suspected, and he killed himself. But yeah, but he was strange. I mean, the doctors said to Chase once and said what are you thinking about right now? He said, normal things, And they said, well, what's on the screen in your mind? He said, oh, a seven forty seven jet liner blowing up. Just strange stuff, you know, just strange.
Speaker 7: You talk about the prosecution being deft and effective, really it comes to American law, and I mean even people that watch things like Law and Order, will they have gone over the subject of legally insane, tell us if if what I found interesting in your book too was the you know, it never came to me before at all. But with this is that when a person has this attempts and what other defense would you have but not criminally responsible by virtue of insanity and you know, insane. But the thing is is that you know, the planning, the evasion from from the authorities. But I thought another thing was too. Was there any talk of the sexual motivation being in another thing? To dismiss the notion that you know, he was insane and was was out of control and had no control of his behavior. Did that the sexual did that sexual motivation come into play at all? Terms?
Speaker 8: Well, you know, you know they they actually said that that you know, his his what he had done sexually. You know, big problem I think if if if I'm remembering correctly, was like a sexual sadist. I mean, they look at these things as being well, you know, he could be cruel, he could be various things. For the prosecution, the only thing they cared about was was Chase aware of what he was doing? Was he aware of right and wrong? And to the prosecution it didn't matter how cruel or evil. Richard Chase might be because a truly insane person will not try to cover their steps. You know that they might go out and commit mass murder, but they're making you know, I mean, they're just doing it. But Chase did try to conceal everything he was doing, and he showed some elements of skill at being able to do it because he didn't leave any fingerprints behind and he knew that the proper response when they asked him, did he do this? No, I would never do that, so he knew. So Chase was cruel. Chase was evil, Chase was diabolical, but he wasn't legally insane. And that's the only thing Doctorman wanted to drive home, and he did. He just did it wonderfully, and the jury bought it and they did not consider him insane. And so that's fright at the deathminality.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, yeah, it was. We didn't talk about this, but the authorities were really kind of spooked by the bloody ringlets that were left at the crime scenes.
Speaker 8: Yes, I have a photographed in my book. Yeah, and in fact, you can see a portion of the yogurt cup that he used. Yea and yeah, but yeah, the ringlets were from a I believe it was a green pale and they saw those ringlets twice and it's not them. I'm assuming that that's the same pale that he tried to discard. I won't say categorically. I'd have to ask Bill Roberts. But in the picture where there's a at his apartment, where there's the twenty two stal luger on that box, there's also a pale. There was a pale that that he had had there. That could be the very same pale. I'm just not certain, but that's what made those ringlets.
Speaker 7: Yeah, absolutely, Yeah, it's uh, you know, you you had the I guess the good sense. I would have went into more description, but it is a Richard Chase humiliated, posed and displayed like again, for all those people that watch television and are aware of these terms, he is the worst of the worst in terms of it. Guess it looked like humiliating his his There was humiliation and the sadism, cruelty. Uh right, I mean, never mind, never mind lack of remorse. That's ridiculous. But you know, decapitating the baby's head. Yeah, it's just it's evil, that's all. Yeah. The best thing is just to choc it up to a whole lot of evil, uh, coming from this one eminem, from this one person that is spreading a lot of terror in that in that area for a short period of time.
Speaker 8: Thank god, Yeah, yeah, yeah, thank god. It was very short. But I mean, people were so upset they were buying weapons, and people that had weapons they were making sure they had enough ammunition. And it did cost a lot of people some sleepless nights and there were numerous investigators that just had nightmares about this stuff. You know, it was just real different than the average homicide. And it's a yeah. The picture of Evely and Morale, it's just it's never been really unfortunately, there's a picture of Teresa Wallen that has been released. Sometimes it shows up on the internet. I don't know how that happened, but it's it's been released. But most of the crime scene photographs, in fact, all of them, but that one picture has never been released. But it's it's gastly. And he had also stuffed dog feces in the mouth of Teresa Wallin and the investiators for Scott that they weren't sure what that was. But he's just very very evil, very diabolical person, but legally saying.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, and incredible, And it's hard for people to fathom that that definition legally insane. And so the only thing you can really chalk it up to is evil.
Speaker 8: We would say he's nuts, he's gotta be, but not really, he's just and you know what that gets into a whole nother question. How do people get that way? How do they get to where they are so diabolical? You know, it's just very strange. It's it's very odd that some humans sometimes become predators in this way. You know, Theodore Bunn, he would also remove heads, He would do things that were ghastly and diabolical. But as to his person and outward appearance, they're like night and day. You never know anything that's wrong with Ted Bundy if you you know, but Chase, take one look at him. The guy's whacked. I mean, that's that's your first impression of him.
Speaker 7: Well, I mean one is one is a bit scarier than the other. Bundy is scarier than Richard Chase, and only that. It's like a Hannibal Lecter is scarier than Richard Chasing. That they're cognizant of what they're doing. It's like a dexter. So, but you know, the thing is, the thing is how many true crime books I've read, you've read, how many stories that I've read. There is really no answer how people can become like that. The only thing I can you know, it's an oversimplification, is that it's this legion of thrill killers. And now you're adding the allure of fame and infamy and stardom and to a certain extent like Luca Manata, and what you have is combination of that phenomena in society anyway, totally over the top in terms of exaggeration, and these people doing again a crime that shocks the world, that's what they're interested in doing. So you know that that that is horrifying for people in fiction, let alone to realize in true life. But I don't think anybody could ever say anything other than these people, to a certain degree, to a great degree, want to do the very very taboo, to experience what no one in what we would think in their right mind would want to experience. Yeah, And the only thing I can come up with.
Speaker 8: Yeah, And that's one of the reasons why people read about this stuff, because it's so set apart from normal life it's hard to believe that this sort of thing can actually occur, And so it's it interests people because it's like peering into another world, a world that you're never going to walk in, and you think, and you stand back from me, go, how can somebody be like that? And yet there are predators out there that are like that. And of course the Bundies and the Chases, they're just they're just the worst of the whole breed. And and like I say, they're rare when they become I think when they become that diabolical. You have a lot of mean people in the world, but the killers in prison when when Chase was in jail, some of these people who had committed murder were complaining that they can't sleep because of what Chase had done and that him being there and they're thinking about it. Can you imagine that these were just regular killers?
Speaker 7: I mean, yeare through.
Speaker 8: They wouldn't do that, They wouldn't do those things.
Speaker 7: Well, I guess they got what they deserved, huh to be they shot they Well, they had.
Speaker 8: To move Chase into a single cell uh in the ajail because it was just getting out of hand. They were throwing urine on him and passing down the cups and in the cell, and so they had to isolate him. But you know that's really the way it is.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, it's it's just it's it's again, it's always almost always, unlike criminal minds where people are saved. Uh, this just leaves a trail of carnage and and you know, broken, broken lives basically and not much, not much answer.
Speaker 8: And I think that's what it is.
Speaker 7: It's very much like the I think it's a new genre of a true horror in that nothing can compare with this because it is true. It is more horrifying, and there is no neat clean answers. Oh jeezus, you know, mentally ill. No, they're they're in between, certainly, just inhuman behavior.
Speaker 8: Right, absolutely, the most diabolical expression of what a human can do. It's just it's ghastly because you know, if you get into things that the Nazis did, it's always been hard for me to believe that people in Nazi Germany and in the thirties and then into the forties could do as a country the kind of things that they did, more organized, but just as diabolical. But here you've got someone that like Chase or something that just you know, coming into people's homes in broad daylight, very random and then just extremely lethal and completely diabolical, just very strange.
Speaker 7: I think one thing for the citizens of California to realize, and it's obviously a huge state, and then a lot of people and this we're talking about the seventies and the eighties where people didn't lock their doors and all kinds of other silly behavior. But deez, there's a lot of murders from people like Richard Chase and the Nightstalker and all kinds of people where they just left their windows open. You can't leave your windows open.
Speaker 8: No, you can't leave your doors un locked or your windows open. I have been saying this for years. I mean, you just can't do it.
Speaker 7: Once in a lifetime, but you.
Speaker 8: Know, you just you can't take the chance.
Speaker 7: Absolutely absolutely. Now you have this coming. This is released as an e book right now, and you had said, so it's available right now.
Speaker 8: A Vampire that.
Speaker 7: Richard Chase murders. Okay, great, and yeah, you've got it one of the new hot new releases on Amazon. So that's very interesting. And I'm sure with all of the hoopla over vampires, And I mean there's never been a time where there since when we were kids in the seventies, where there's been so much emphasis on vampires and draculas and stories like this. So this is perfect timing. This is the case that. Yeah, and this case was not that well known. It really some reason it's not as well known as it's one of the most over the top, bizarre, fascinating cases too. That because like you say, they didn't know who who was behind these uh murders, and it really was like a case of criminal minds where they they know they only have so much time because this this seemingly evil person with no leads, no motive, is striking and and then striking again. So yeah, it was a really great book.
Speaker 8: Well, thank you so much. I appreciate that, Dan. It's a I knew from the moment I decided to write and it was going to be good. And once I went to Sacramento and uh look, went over all these areas and and got into the case file, I thought, yeah, it's it's going to be an interesting book.
Speaker 7: So you know, I was quite absolutely, Yeah, you've done a great job. And it's another really stow binding story too, and I and you know, it's a it's interesting because I knew of the case, but reading all the detail, it's it's just a horrifying You really bring the reader into the horror of what they find in these homes and right, uh yeah, it's it's just it's incredible. The terror is really uh you've captured that, and I think that's what people will come away with, is uh Again, the good old days weren't all that good either, so there's uh, we've got Yeah.
Speaker 8: I think it's beneficial for people to remember what humans are capable of. And you know, it's just if it's happened and it's a part of our history, it needs to be known and it needs to be remembered. And uh yeah, it's just you know, just people need to understand that certain people are very evil and and and they'll do some very horrible things. And there's been a lot of people that have done horrible things to other people, to innocent people, and it's just it's it's a reminder to us.
Speaker 4: All.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 7: It's just interesting though though the citizens that were that were you know, that were cognizant of what happened and made the effort to contact We've heard horror stories of people contacting authorities and those people being ignored. In this case, we have, you know, police worked that is very effective and so you know, relatively relatively, this could have gone on for years as many of these kinds of serial killer as this guy absolutely had the potential. If this is what he escalated to in a short period of time in a few months, my god, who knows?
Speaker 8: I mean and say in the book that I say. The one thing the police had going for them is that even though Chase was trying to be careful, he was still a disorganized killer. He didn't clean himself up very well. He was very weird, and he was killing in a geographically small area. So there were some things that were working against him. But had he not stopped and talked to Nancy Holten that day, I'm sure Chase would have killed again. He would have wiped out another family or something, but he would have eventually been caught. I don't think he'd lasted as long as as like Ted Bundy, but they were so no, it just no, but it's just uh, yeah, you could almost mark it down. If it wouldn't be for that chance meeting, he would have killed again.
Speaker 7: Yeah, absolutely, and we don't know how fast they would have. You know, he was leaving evidence behind. But like you say, it was it was also the time before DNA, and so whether he's you're urinating in a in a in some baby clothing and defecating, I mean, sure day in the DNA, but nobody even heard the term DNA so and they certainly were many years away from utilizing it.
Speaker 8: So absolutely yes.
Speaker 7: Anyway, Kevin, I want to thank you very much for those listening. You've been listening to Vampire the Richard Chase Murders by Kevin M. Sullivan. Thank you very much for Kevin and uh a great book, great great idea for a book, And thank you very much.
Speaker 6: For this interview.
Speaker 8: Thanks Dan, talk to you next time.
Speaker 7: Okay, good night, Kevin, thank you