Speaker 1: They've taken off in the culinary world, but now health conscious people are starting to turn to microgreens because there's such a fun and healthy food that you can integrate into your cooking, into your diet in many different ways.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the Plant Based Diet podcast where we talk about all things plant based. I'm mister Garfin, the host of this show and founder of Alternative Food Network. Join me in my amazing array of guests who are a mix of healthcare professionals, industry executives, and people with an interesting story to tell about their plant based journey. Let us help you with your journey wherever you're at to learn the what, why, and how to eat plant based. Hello. Everyone, glad you're here in joining us today. You know how there are times when you want to be eating healthy but you don't quite have the time to fuss over it, or maybe you're making a nice dish that could benefit from an attractive garnish. Well, this episode can help. We're going to be talking about microgreens, which are a very easy add on to your meals and they pack a nutritional punch. I'm joined by Oliver Hamburg, who co founded Boston Microgreens, which is Boston's most central urban farm, supplying over one hundred restaurants, businesses, and residential customers with fresh microgreens and specialty herbs. They produce over seventy five varieties of microgreens and have been working with the best chefs in Boston since they started. Welcome to the show, Oliver, so nice to have you on.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me ester.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know, I had been curious about microgreens for a while and I was at a plant based expo. I was at a booth and they were selling microgreens, or they were displaying microgreens, and then I ended up buying broccoli microgreens and I'm like, you know what, I want to do an episode on this. So I thank you for joining us today, and I think I just want to get right into it for the audience to understand why I'm even doing an episode on microgreens. What are they and what's their nutritional profile?
Speaker 1: So microgreens you can think of as baby plants, right. Technically they are the stem and the first two cottalidens of any kind of plant that you might know, but I like to call them baby plants. And if you can imagine what a seed is. A seed has so much energy trapped inside of it in that food store that a plant needs in its first couple of days or weeks of life before the plant is able to photosynthesize. Similarly, microgreens have a very dense amount of vitamins, minerals, nutrients. In other words, they have a high vitamin mineral nutrient density right as compared to their mature counterparts.
Speaker 3: They're also very.
Speaker 1: Cute and you can grow all kinds of different microgreens. So, for example, a sunflower. You wouldn't eat an entire sunflower plant, including the stalk, including the leaves, and the petals, but a sunflower plant when it's seven days old is actually totally edible from the stalk to the leaves, obviously no flowers yet, and is actually an incredibly nutritious food, a super food you could even call it, even though that's a loaded label, right, but you know it contains you know, all seven amino acids, a bunch of fiber.
Speaker 3: And it's also really sweet and crunchy.
Speaker 1: So that leads us to the third cool thing about microgreens is that they're incredibly nutritious, which also leads to a lot of flavor.
Speaker 3: And again, you can grow all kinds of things.
Speaker 1: So, I mean, we grow seventy five different varieties of microgreens at our farm, and there are surely many more that you could grow. So you know, you're not only getting a high nutritional density, but if you're mixing different types of microgreens, different varieties together, you would be getting the nutritional of all of those different plants. So they lend themselves to I'm just going to keep launch in, right, they lend them so well to so many applications. You know, you can use them. They've taken off in the culinary world. But now health conscious people are starting to turn to microgreens because there's such a fun and healthy food that you can integrate into your cooking, into your diet in many different ways.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, since sort of on that thread, why don't we just go right into that one.
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 2: So I and again, I've only used broccoli microgreens to my knowledge. Maybe I've had other ones, but I just didn't realize. But r yeah, probably I put them in salads and I add them to my smoothies. What else. And I know you part of your clientele they're chefs, So where have you seen microgreens being used in what creative ways.
Speaker 1: So microgreens are really fun because there are so many different ways you can use them, and I think, you know, your cre creativity is honestly the only limiting factor. Like you said, you can put them in salads, you can put them in smoothies, you can put them on top of your soup. You can you know, put them on a sandwich or in the taco or in your bowl. You can actually have a whole salad base that was just microgreens. And I think that's where maybe just broccoli would get a little, you know, monotonous. But if you had a different, you know, a blend of microgreens, that could be quite fun. The way I like to use them the most is in that sort of way where you're just kind of like taking a little handful and you're just throwing that onto every plate that you're preparing in the kitchen, right because then they're going to take up some of the flavors of maybe the sauce or the dressing that you have and adding a little bit of crunch, adding a little bit of fiber, adding a little bit of nutrition and color to any plate.
Speaker 2: Okay, and other than broccoli, as we've mentioned, and sunflower. What are some of the other types of varieties that maybe are more I'm in or that we'd find in a supermarket.
Speaker 1: Sure, I mean, radish and pea shoots are the first ones that sort of come to mind as your sort of bulky, hardy, pretty universal microgreens.
Speaker 3: The radish has a little bit of a spice.
Speaker 1: The peas there are a couple different varieties, but they tend to be sweet and crunchy and a little bit more leafy. Sunflower is sort of the queen of microgreens, just because I'll just say she has, you know, such a wide and balanced variety of.
Speaker 3: Minerals. But then we get into the fun stuff.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's there's probably like twenty different varieties of mustard that you can grow that are just so tasty. And I'm just gonna say, by the way, everyone who's listening grow them at home.
Speaker 3: I think you probably have a windowsill.
Speaker 1: Like you can do this at home, and it's one of the most rewarding crops because it grows so quickly and then it's about the freshness in the end of the day. You can grow all sorts of herbs as microgreens, anything from parsley to basil, to cilantro to chervil, to chive to dill, right again with an intense dill flavor, an intense parsley flavor that you might not get in your you know, your mature dill, and then we can get.
Speaker 3: Into sort of all sorts of weird stuff.
Speaker 1: Japanese purple chiso is one of our top sellers here in Boston. We work with a lot of you know, Japanese restaurants. You've got tuna senensis. It's a it's a it's a mahogany tree, but when you grow it for a week, it's it's got the most intense onion flavor. Our whole delivery van smells like onion when you open the door, just from one live tray of the tuna sentensis.
Speaker 3: The list goes on and on.
Speaker 1: You know so many things that you could grow again that you wouldn't eat the mature plant, but that you can eat as a micro green.
Speaker 2: And if you were blindfolded and someone gave you something to taste, well, maybe not you, since you're the expert, but me someone blindfolded me and then gave me some would I be able to say Oh yeah, that that's a pee. It tastes kind of like a pee. So that must be a pea microgreen.
Speaker 1: For for the pea, absolutely, for the you know, for the sunflower, we don't really know what they taste, right, but I mean a couple more varieties that that that are fantastic. Arugula, oh my god, the arugula microgreens are probably my favorite in terms of flavor. They've got this nuttiness, they're sweet, they're spicy. You know, we have a wasabi micro green. It's it's a mustard variety. Technically it's not the wasabi root varietal, but you know that is is just a fantastic flavor.
Speaker 3: And a lot of them just taste green. I mean, I think and in line with your broccoli.
Speaker 1: You've got cabbage, kale, you know, all your brassicas, and they taste generally green. So maybe you wouldn't have the same sort of flavor recognition, so it depends, but a lot of them absolutely.
Speaker 2: And and how does a micro green compare to a sprout?
Speaker 3: Okay? So a sprout okay, so think of this.
Speaker 1: A sprout is like the seed with the first root, that tap root coming out, and that seed has popped open, and so you've basically got a the very very first stage of life. It's a sprouted seed. A microgreen is an established plant. So it's that stem, so it's already germinated, it's come out of the soil or it's or above the soil, and it's and it's popped open its first leaves, you know.
Speaker 3: And technically a baby green would be that third leaf.
Speaker 1: And the third leaf is usually the one that has the characteristics of the mature plant.
Speaker 3: So the kale leaf would be like, you know, have those little frills. I call them all microgreens. So the microgreen is a little plant.
Speaker 1: It's a little plantling, right, and it's probably like an inch to two inches tall, and a sprout is just that seed with the root coming out. Now, they both have their you know, unique benefits. Right, Sprouts are also very healthy. Microgreens are a little bit more esthetic, and they can be used as you know, garnishes and salads, and they're more.
Speaker 3: Colorful, they're a little bit more fun. Right. Both could be very beneficial as part of your diet.
Speaker 2: And then if you left a micro gain to just keep growing.
Speaker 3: It would turn into the mature plant.
Speaker 1: It's funny because we recycle all of our soil. So we grow in these flats right ten by twenty flats, and when we're done, we harvest them. So we have this flat with all the stems and the roots and some of those seeds still in there, and then we put that in a community garden in Boston, so we.
Speaker 3: Try to give that soiler second life. Then the roots break.
Speaker 1: Down, the stems break down into organic material, but some of those seeds survive. So we have these garden beds, and so instead of weeds that are your like normal Boston weeds, you have cabbage and kale and cilantro and rysanthemum just exploding. And it's so fun to see what is sort of dominant and how that garden bed, if left alone, which we've done as an experiment, sort of transforms over the season. It's a beautiful thing to watch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But of.
Speaker 1: Course, you know, say you had, say you had a ratish tray, and I mean I haven't counted them exactly, but there are thousands of ratish seeds on a ratish tray of microgreens that's twenty inches long. They obviously wouldn't develop radishes because they were too dense, right, they would crowd each other out. Okay, right, If you took one of those little plants or seedlings and put them in enough space, then of course they would turn into whatever they hey.
Speaker 2: And just for the audience to understand how your company grows these microgreens, it's vertical farming.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, So it's vertical farming, which means, you know, it's happening on a vertical axis. So in this case, horizontal planes on top of each other, right, five planes to be specific. We operate this business out of basement in a commercial building in South Boston, so right in the middle of the city, which is cool because customers can come in and they can taste their way through shelves and shelves of all these different microgreens and herbs and get inspired and let their you know, creativity go wild. And that's that's really fun for our customers. And it's also cool because the food is really fresh. So we're harvesting twice a week and we're going out to all these different restaurants, more than fifty restaurants in the Boston area, and the food is delivered within two to three hours of it getting harvested, so that means the knife goes to the microgreen and it's in the walk and cooler that day, that morning, that afternoon, so it's incredibly fresh. And it's also it's also nice because it's sort of a hyper local business where we have a lot of direct access with our customers and the ecosystem of our community is very tangible, manageable, local.
Speaker 3: You know, it's real, it's in front of us.
Speaker 2: Can they actually go to your.
Speaker 1: Location, Absolutely, and they can kind of check it out and just to come back a little bit to sort of the technical aspect there. I mean, it's really cool because you walk into this room and what you have is basically that we've created the perfect spring day, but it's three hundred and sixty five days a year, right, So we have lights that are growing the microgreens, and we're you know, it's climate controlled, and we do all of these things to make sure that we keep that environment perfectly consistent. Another thing that's really interesting about this is that the whole farm runs on renewable energy, right, So it's very interesting to see this because it's like it's farming, but it's happening inside a room. But then you know it's got this incredible energy consumption, and so we do what we can in that space to kind of maintain holistic agricultural elements, right, so growing in soil instead of growing in a totally soilist medium, using techniques that are as close to nature as you can within this modern system. So it's sort of fusing agricultural traditional agricultural techniques and microbiology with modern science operations. Efficiency and as you can imagine if you picture a room full of microgreen towers, it is a beautiful dance that we do in there every week to make sure that we're able to move product through that facility in an efficient way, get product out to our customers, and make sure that we're delivering a certain standard and quality, because, after all, it is a business, and that's something sometimes. Something that is challenging with farming, especially and vertical farming or indoor farming in particular, is that you have a lot of variables to manage, and you know, in the end of the day, you're still selling produce, so you need to make sure that that bottom line stays in the green.
Speaker 3: But it is a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: And you've been doing this for about eight years.
Speaker 1: Yep, coming up on eight years now. So we started the business in this apartment. Actually it's a it's got a lot of light and a tiled floor where we were able to get really dirty in the first couple of years, and then we moved it to a commercial facility.
Speaker 2: So how did you get started in this.
Speaker 3: That's that's a good question.
Speaker 1: I mean, I've always been interested in plants, and it was actually so I co founded the company with a friend of mine college roommates, and we I think we just had we had done some other projects and we were really interested in plants, but we also had a good working relationship, and I think that was part of it.
Speaker 3: It was having someone that inspired you to to to create.
Speaker 1: With right, and then we just saw YouTube video how to grow microgreens and make blah blah blah dollars, and you know, and and of course I.
Speaker 3: Didn't have the month two or month three, but it did. It did.
Speaker 1: Year two, we were, you know, month two we were we were cash flow positive because we were able to go in a very low barrier to entry, very hard to do it well, but you know, racks, lights, soil, seeds, and then we were just bringing these samples to the to the restaurants, you know, and I say month too, month two, correct, Yeah, because we spent I think we spent like one thousand dollars on our first first setup and then and then of course later on we then but we funded ourselves. We funded ourselves pretty much from from the beginning with with the with the revenue. And now for anyone thinking about doing this, trust me, there's plenty of YouTube videos that can they can teach you.
Speaker 3: How, and it's not as easy as you think it is.
Speaker 1: But we do offer consulting if anyone really is is that interested in the business.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a nice success story. So is there anything else about micro greens that you think we should know?
Speaker 3: I mean, micro greens are awesome.
Speaker 1: I think the most important thing I would tell your audience is to try to grow them at home, not just because they will get to eat the microgreens, but because they are such a fun crop to interact with.
Speaker 3: And I think that and it's.
Speaker 1: Actually not I know you're thinking, well, I've tried to grow a ccculine and I killed it and whatever, Right.
Speaker 3: This is different. I promise They're pretty easy to.
Speaker 1: Grow and just seeing that dense canopy of vegetation erupting in your kitchen is going to do something to you physiologically, spiritually, mentally, emotionally, whatever you want to call it. That I think is almost just as valuable as the nutrients you're then going to put in your body. And you can do all these little blends and you can experiment with different varieties. So that's a lot of fun. And I think if we wanted to touch a little bit more on the sort of specific health attributes of the microgreens, and again, there are plenty of studies that back this up, and I would always say do your own research, and I would especially say that what is the most important about microgreens and about food in general, is that it's rush and the way that it's grown. Because an organic tomato grown in compost or manure or in a regenerative soil system is a completely different food source than a hothouse tomato grown in a hydroponic system. Hands down, it's a different thing that you're eating there. And maybe I can come back and talk about soil and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, are you talking from a taste and a nutrition profile perspective?
Speaker 1: Absolutely, because really, and I'll do a little bit now, but really, what plants spend most of their you know, resources on in a natural system is not building plant material, it's secreting hormones into the ground called exudates that they use to communicate with the microbiological life that's in the soil. So they say, okay, today I need zinc, and a fungi might pick up that signal and go harvest some zinc and exchain it with.
Speaker 3: The plant in the root zone.
Speaker 1: For those exodates, it's the carbons, the sugars that they break off of carbon dioxide and photosynthesis.
Speaker 3: It's most of it's going down into.
Speaker 1: The and so plants are eating sort of a la carte, right, but in industrialized agriculture, which obviously we need. And it makes sense how we got to this point. You know, we're sort of we're sort of saying, oh, no, you need this, you need nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, and Wednesday you're going to get your calcium, and on Thursday you're.
Speaker 3: Going to get your iron and your boron. And really we're not.
Speaker 1: Taking advantage of the beautiful intricacy and intelligence that already exists through four billion years of evolution. Right, So all that to say that now we're discovering in farming, in agriculture, how to leverage this intelligence of nature to grow crops in a way that is in fact cheaper for the farmer because you're not buying a bunch of external nutrients. And the agrochemical companies are not going to like that we're talking about this, but it's true, and you're going to get a better quality product, so less inputs and a better quality product, and that's obviously better for the end customer too. You're not having to put a bunch of kelated salt nutrients and you're not having to use as much pesticide. So I think this there's an agricultural revolution under wagh Esther, and I think that anyone listening to your show is probably interested in and will be a direct beneficiary of this. And so I will say that there's hope and that it's all about education, not just for farmers but for consumers as well. But anyway, back to the back to what I started with, which is the microgreens, because they're extremely high vitamins and minerals and antioxidants, right, and so you know, just like any doctor will tell you the antioxidants they help combat the oxidative stress in your body. They could potentially help with lowering the risk of chronic diseases. You know, all that fiber is helping for your diet ingestive health and supports healthy gut cardiovascular benefits including the reduction of bad cholesterol and increasing overall heart function, and you.
Speaker 3: Know, even things like eyesight weight management.
Speaker 1: You have a food that's so nutrient dense that doesn't have a lot of calories, so it's kind of helping fill you up.
Speaker 3: And again I would say that a lot.
Speaker 1: Of foods can do that for you, but microgreens are cool because they have such a condensed amount of these vitamins and nutrients and antioxidants, right.
Speaker 3: So, and because they're so easy to integrate. Right.
Speaker 1: Sure, I could pull all these things together and create like a super paste, right, but is that fun to eat?
Speaker 3: Right? So you always have.
Speaker 1: To balance like, what is the thing and how does it fit into my life and my lifestyle?
Speaker 3: Am I going to enjoy this?
Speaker 1: Am I actually going to do it consistently? And so that's why microgreens, I feel like, are are such a fun food and because and I'll come back to it one last time, because you can grow them yourself.
Speaker 2: Okay, and what variety would you say for if someone's the first time grower of microgreens, any particular.
Speaker 3: Varieties, fantastic question.
Speaker 1: I would say, try the sunflower, Try the arugula, Try the radish, Try the pea shoots, try the mustard.
Speaker 3: Try try the basil.
Speaker 1: But maybe start with sunflower and and a little bit of arugula. Because the arugula is just so tasty that you're never going to be able to give it up.
Speaker 2: Okay, great, Well, I think if someone wanted to know about microgreens, now they have a good idea, and now they can even grow them at home, which is an extra bonus, I guess.
Speaker 3: The main bonus. I would say, yeah, all.
Speaker 2: Right, awesome, and then listen, if I do an episode on the Agricultural Revolution, you're coming back on the show.
Speaker 3: I mean, I would hope. So.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's kind of what we're doing with the kids now in Boston at the Boston Youth Farm Project, which is sort of a spin off, nonprop of Boston Microgreens, where we're taking the same vertical farming racks and we're putting them in middle school classrooms and we're getting kids hands in the dirt, and we're bringing this barm into the classroom and we're using that opportunity, this very tactile learning experience to talk to students about food. It's amazing talk to students about where food comes from, how food connects us to our planet of resources. It's really you know, food is such it's such a central point to so many different important themes. You know, in the United States, there's such a disconnect with with food.
Speaker 3: It's just the more we can talk about it, the better.
Speaker 2: Agreed. Now, if someone wants to find you, what's your website.
Speaker 1: Www dot microgreens plural dot Boston the city, and they can check out the other nonprofit at www dot Boston y FP dot org and y FP stands for Youth Farm Project.
Speaker 2: Perfect. Okay, Well, thank you so much. It was a pleasure to meet you. I can see you're so excited about this, so really, thank you again so much for your time today.
Speaker 3: Great, Thank you, sir.
Speaker 4: I hope you found this episode helpful. Please share, rate, leave a review, and follow a plant based diet on your favorite podcast listening platform and on the Alternative Food Network YouTube channel, where you can also find recipe videos.
Speaker 2: If you're on social media. Please follow us on Instagram At Alternative Food Network, we also publish a monthly newsletter that includes plant based recipes, our latest podcasts, and the occasional giveaway. You can sign up by going on our website at alternativefoodnetwork dot com and click the newsletter sign up button. Until next time, thanks for listening. All content provider or opinions expressed in this podcast or for informational purposes only, and are not a substitute for professional medical advice. Please seek advice from your doctor or other qualified health care practitioner.