Speaker 2: That's right. Let's get it started.
Speaker 1: Welcome in to a Tuesday at Ish Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety A beautiful, beautiful Tuesday. It is, and I'll admit it, I'm an open book. I don't think this is going to be like offensive to anybody, Like if you enjoy this show and listen, first of all, thank you very much, really appreciate that. But you know, I'll just say it, sometimes I really miss Morning Drive. I did that here at seven ninety four, I guess a few years. In fact, it's crazy to think I've done this over nine years now and I've had all three different day parts midday's, mornings, and now afternoons, and there's a lot of benefits about the morning or about the afternoons, which I've been now, I guess in this spot for over two years now.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's hard to keep up with how long I've been doing anything, or what day it is, what month it is, what year it is. But the reason I really miss the mornings today is because I could be outside enjoying what is an absolutely beautiful day. I mean, it's it's quite literally per fixed outside. I'm not sure what I would be doing. I'd probably be bored, but I would just you know, just just knowing that I could be out enjoying some beautiful sunshine here on a on a Tuesday. But you know what, do what he calls. It's time to you know, get the show started and we'll have some fun. If you're out enjoying the weather, I'll I'll live through you.
Speaker 2: But we are.
Speaker 1: We've got a little bit of a different set up here on a Tuesday afternoon because Austin he is not with us today. He is out helping set up and get get you ready for our big night over at Mike Lennox. So the Derby betting preview night that is tonight. We do it every year and it'll be at Mike Lennox as Jody Dimmling and the crew. They'll be taking a look at this year's Derby field, which it is kind of crazy how it snuck up on us. I refuse to believe that Derby is sneaky gump on us because for me, at least, it has nothing to do with not having thunder over Louisville. I mean, I get that that's been mentioned by a lot of folks, and I suppose if that's what's thrown you off to where you kind of thinking, wait a second Derby week is next week? Make total since But I've never been someone that really pays a whole lot of attention to thunder. So I don't know what it is, but it is crazy that we're almost here, but it is exciting. So again, if you have not made plans tonight for dinner and you're just now finding out about it, I don't know what you've been doing, because we've been promoting it like crazy. But again, it's ther Derby Betting preview tonight over at newsradioight forty whas is going to be at Mike Lennox and should be a good time. So without Austin, we've got Big Tom Carl Blenton producing this afternoon and we'll take you up till five thirty. Had a little bit early today because we have a louisvill Bats game coming your way, so two and a half hours and a lot to get into. Again, if you want to join us on the show, we will open up the phone notts coming up here shortly. We'll let you know how you can text in on the Ellen and Federal credit Union text line. So again, we'll have some fun today and I will start with something I rarely ever start with. In fact, I'm not sure I ever have maybe right after like the NBA Finals, But let's start with the NBA really quickly, and trust me, there's so much to get into. We've got the portal closing at midnight tonight and a load of other things we can get into today. But I for a while, anytime the NBA comes up, I just get to bitching because I used to really like the NBA, and now I just I can't. I can't force myself typically to watch it because it's just not competitive. You know, I walked into my mother's house on Easter and you know, full day of NBA action going on, and the game was ending. I'm not even sure who it was, but the team lost about fifty one points, and that just really made me feel like, you know what, there's the proof. I mean, the NBA has not been competitive in a long long time, and last I checked, that's a big factor. And you know, having a good product, who would want to tune in and watch a game where somebody loses about fifty plus points? I mean that that to me is like that. I mean, I don't I don't know what Adam Silver can do about that in the moment in real time, but like that, that's terrible. So again I've bemoaned about what the NBA has issues with and how unfortunately there's really no way for them to make the adjustments and changes needed to make it more competitive because that would lead to just less money, which last I check, nobody's gonna sign up to make less money.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: They have way too many games, their series are way too long. They put way too many teams in to the playoffs. So again, all I do here lately when it comes to talking about the NBA is complain. But I will give the NBA some props last night because we actually ended up having two really really good NBA playoff games. You had an upset with the Pistons tying it up at one apiece now against the Knicks, big win for Detroit in the Garden, and I did not realize. Again, I tell you guys all the time when it comes to the NBA, used to be into it, and I just kind of, you know, just not something I keep up with at all really anymore. And the Pistons actually being a pretty good team. Is a real reminder for me that I've not been really tuned in because, I mean, the last I check, the Pistons were on like some kind of a crazy multi year like they were one of the worst. They were maybe the worst team in the NBA for like multiple years running. And now they're in the playoffs. They've got it tied up at one apiece. And last night with the win, they broke their they broke their drought. I think they'd gone the I think it was a record. They'd gone longer than anybody had ever gone in the NBA without winning a playoff game. I think the last time they won one was in two thousand and eight. So they snapped that last night. And overall, it was just a good finish. I mean, it was competitive. You had a near I mean, I don't think any of these guys in the NBA, well not maybe I shouldn't say I shouldn't say any of them, but most of them don't really want to fight. You know, they do the little I wouldn't even call it a melee, but you know, you get a little scuffle, you get tangled up, and you get you give the indication in one way or another that you want to fight and you will fight, but we all know you're not going to fight, and it's just not you know, that's just that's just how it is. But what that did tell me was that like they were, it was competitive, they were into it. It was a good back and forth. The Pistons had a good lead and the Knicks came back. I think they might have even taken a lead briefly at the end. I know they tied it up, but the Pistons made enough plays. Kate Cunningham, I mean, he took a while for them to be competent as an organization, but he is their franchise player. And you know, after just watching last night, I mean I'd still say the Knicks are probably in good shape to win the series. But just in last night watching those two teams play from almost start to finish, I mean, the Pistons looks as good as the Knicks.
Speaker 2: They could win it.
Speaker 1: Maybe, And honestly, I mean, I think Kate Cunningham's best player in that series. And then a really good finish between the Clippers and the Nuggets. I was up late for that one. Didn't intend on staying up and watching it, but it was super competitive all the way throughout and then Kawhi Leonard reminded us, reminded us that you know, he's an NBA legend. As I say that, I kind of feel like that's an exaggeration, but I don't know, man, this guy has won NBA. I mean, he's won the NBA Finals with two different franchises and has a Most Outstanding Player of the Finals one in Toronto, which is a very forgettable run that Kawhi had in Canada, and then also whenever he won one of the many titles that he had in San Antonio, and I kind of feel like he's just been hurt kind of you know, I shouldn't say irrelevant. But the Clippers, you know, they've had they have they have a lot of good pieces.
Speaker 2: And they have for a while.
Speaker 1: But ever since the run ended with like Chris Paul Reddick Doc Rivers coaching them, I felt like there was another Oh Blake Griffin like that the Clippers actually had I think, some notoriety and some momentum like they never had before. And now you know, they're decent, clearly, but they just don't seem to really, you know, get as much attention. But Kawhi was phenomenal last night, thirty nine points. Clippers also get the upset, tying it at one game apiece, and also another situation where you had I think it was when they go.
Speaker 2: To the monitor and review it. They call it hostile acts.
Speaker 1: So again, I don't think anybody's really going to fight, but if they're at least getting chesty like that and there's some high tension, that speaks to the game being competitive. So last night, I mean, if we were to, if we were to again, the NBA is going to do just fine without me. You know, I know I can play about it all the time, and it's really because I wish I liked it. I wish I could get into it. I used to love the NBA. So it's not like they need to make some of these adjustments or you know they're going to fail. I mean, I think it's an issue, but you know, I'm aware. I could never watch the NBA for a second the rest of my life. And the NBA is gonna be just fine. The association will survive without me. But if last night's games, if that was more of what you'd see on a nightly basis, especially in the playoffs, hell yeah, I'd be all in. I just you know, I'm going to look at last night as a real outlier, and we've got some action tonight. In fact, we've got three games, and I wouldn't be shocked if two, maybe all three are big blowouts, because that's just what you get. I mean, the first round of the playoffs is maybe the biggest waste of time in professional sports outside of like all Star games, because those are just not necessary. You could take those away and nobody would care or notice. I mean that's just the truth. But like these are you know, this is a postseason in the NBA, Like if you got rid of the first round, meaning like teams, you know, you trimmed it and instead of you know, they're being eight teams that get in all seven game series in both conferences, Like I mean, it would be it would be better. But anyways, as much as I complain about the NBA, I will admit last night it was a good night. And I'm hopeful that that becomes like more consistent, but I.
Speaker 2: Highly doubt it. I really do.
Speaker 1: All right, take us with you wherever you go. Make sure if you have not downloaded the iHeart Radio app. I feel like I've been here as an iHeart employee for I mean, I have been here for almost ten years, and I feel like this is maybe the first time ever I've ever like mentioned Hey, just so you know, if you listen to us in your vehicle or on like an old fashion I say old fashion, I mean any radio like that you plug in and it's got like a dial, I feel like that's old fashion. So I don't I haven't thought about that in a long time. But somebody who's like got an actual radio, like, can you buy those now? I mean, I'm sure you can if you look, if you look, But I just assume anybody who listens to us, they're in their vehicle or they're listening on the iHeart Radio app. But maybe if you're somebody that you know, you just catch us for fifteen twenty minutes on your commute in the afternoon. Maybe you don't have the app, Well, I'm telling you should get it because with it, you can listen to us anywhere in the world as long as you have some type of connectivity. So take us with you wherever you go. You can also listen online at seven ninety Louisville dot com. I thought to myself the other day, and I think I might have mentioned it that I'm not sure how many people still, you know, still stream the show on like a desktop, right and like go to seven ninety Louis dot com slash listen and you can listen live. I'm sure there are some people, but you know, a couple of people reminded me as soon as I mentioned that that they do it at work because they use they eat up all their data. They don't they don't get Wi Fi at work, so they eat up all their data if they stream. So therefore they just use the company Internet and it you know works mine. So a lot of different ways you can listen to us, and we hope you do exactly that. All right, So with today being the last day of the portal and it was what I assumed meaning night, I'm sorry, tonight at midnight is the deadline, and with nothing at all from Cason Pryor, that's gotta be good news, right. He has not mentioned anything. I mean, he's having some fun with it on social media. But I will say, and there was somebody who texted about this yesterday that I didn't get a chance to get into, Like, I don't think he's toying with us. I think he's just having fun, Like, I don't think he's trying to make us panic in fear that he might leave. I think he just realizes the situation and doesn't have a plan. I mean, maybe he does. Maybe he waits till midnight tonight and then puts out like some kind of a graphic, or maybe they've produced a social media cinematic video that will announce he's coming back. But regardless if there's any kind of an announcement, any type of content they put together, I mean, as of now, he's not in the portal, so he's coming back, right, I mean, I don't see a scenario where because you got to keep in mind he could he could enter the port like the school has to put you in the portal. So unless something's changed, this was the case as of last year. Maybe they've made some adjustments, but you have to go through your compliance folks at you at your school to let them know. Well, I guess I don't know if you have to let them know, but you basically submit to them and then they put you in the portal.
Speaker 2: So you know, if you wait till like after this is what gets tricky. If you wait till.
Speaker 1: Like after business hours today, Like if you submit your and you can do anything online this day and age, you can do anything on your phone, so like maybe it would be able to be done. But like if you submitted that you wanted to into the portal at five point forty five today, but the compliance folks clocked out at five o'clock and went home and they never saw it, Like, are you actually going to make it in the portal in time?
Speaker 2: I mean, I doubt that would end up happening.
Speaker 1: But what I'm trying to get at is that there's no scenario at this point that I could see where he wouldn't be back. Given the fact that he hasn't said anything. You still see him working out. He's here, I mean he's there's some video footage of him on social media working out with the strengthen conditioning coach. So maybe he'll be the guy that's like, yeah, I never hit the portal, so I didn't owe you guys anything as far as an explanation, I never planned on leaving and we're running it back. So again, regardless of anything that is said, as long as he's back, that's good news for Louisville. And I anticipate that that's that's the case, although he does have a chance to do like the I mean the worst thing ever, right, Like it would be real, it would feel personal if, in fact, like at the last minute, we find out that he did in fact, like let somebody know, hey, put me in the portal. I'm gonna at least open things up and see what kind of market there is for me right now coming off this injury, which, to be honest, it wouldn't be I mean, I shouldn't say that that I'm surprised that he didn't do that, or that I'm surprised that Javon Hadley didn't do that, because this is all still relatively new to where you just don't know. Like if this had been if we were twenty years into this new world and good players that you don't anticipate to leave, they all just hit the portal to see what kind of market they had for themselves, then it may just become a norm. But like, if they did do that, I mean, if you do it the last minute, it almost feels like it's personal. I mean, right, you have every right to do it, but I mean I almost feel like you knew all along but you wanted to tease us or something like that.
Speaker 2: So I doubt that happens.
Speaker 1: But like, if in fact players do that, they meet again, Like we shouldn't be shocked now again, totally different things. Had he done it a few weeks ago or even a week ago, different story. But to do it today would be would feel like something fell apart, or that he just had you know, he had cold feet or something like that. So we'll see, and I'm gonna make a prediction, and maybe it's already happened, because we're fifteen minutes in and I've yet to check Twitter to see if there's been any you know, real big breaking news types of stuff, you know, when it comes to big names hitting the portal. But I have a feeling by the time we get to five point thirty, there'll be at least one college basketball player that hits the portal that that will be a big name that everybody's thinking, Okay, wow, this this last minute addition to the portal, somebody's going to get a really good player. That could be wrong. Trust me, I'm wrong often. I've probably been wrong more than once in the first sixteen minutes of this show today. But I just have a feeling there's going to be some kind of big name that pops that it'll be, you know, big news for college basketball.
Speaker 2: But we shall see.
Speaker 1: I'll check in it by thirty when we're wrapping it up today and see if you know, my prediction was was correct or not? All Right, some other things we'll get into through throughout the afternoon. Here the news that they're considering. When I say they, I mean the College Football Playoff Committee or I guess you know, and actually it's not the committee because the committee they're the ones right who you know, who decide who gets in and that changes. But you know, those who are part of this meeting that have influence on the changes to the format of the college football playoff. They're having a spring meeting in Dallas, and to hear that there are or there are folks advocating that they should include TV ratings as criteria to make the college football playoff. I don't want to be dramatic, but that to me is like the first thing I've heard when it comes to all these changes in college athletics that actually makes me sad to realize that this really would I mean that would that would change everything about we already know that kind of stuff matters when it comes to conference affiliation.
Speaker 2: And you know, if you want to.
Speaker 1: Get invited to a new league and you know, move move up the food chain in college football, you better be highly tell you better get a lot of numbers when it comes to people who watch you on TV. So it's not like it's it's it's new and I'm you know, surprised to hear that having a lot of viewers in college football is something that people pay attention to. But to have that as a as a as a data point essentially when you review resumes to see who gets in the college football Playoff, that's the that mean. I've already been feeling like this was the case anyway, but that's proof that it's a popularity contest and not about what you do. I mean, that was I mean, I kept thinking to myself during the lead up to the College Football Playoff last year, right the first year, we're twelve teams. I mean, you had all these sec hawks yelling about strength to schedule, and you know, you can't tell me that we're not this and that, and you know, I'm just thinking, okay, well, but you didn't you didn't perform, like you didn't do what was needed to get in and you had like, you know, clear losses that made it obvious that you don't belong. And they won't say it, but it's like they're they're full on advocating that we don't even need to have a season or have games because it's about you know, all the hype and your popularity and all the momentum and the buzz that you get, right, I mean that, So I almost didn't believe this was real. But Heather Dinisch of at ESPN, she's going to be there covering the college football playoff meeting in the spring meeting that they're having, and we'll I mean, I don't know how anybody, I mean, I could get that. You like, if you're something, I'm trying to think of a program that would be more attractive than they typically are because of viewership, right, Like a program that's pretty good, but usually you know, they're underwhelming compared to what the expectations are, but if viewership was a factor, that might put them over the top. Even if you're one of those programs and you're your coach is a part of these meetings, or maybe your athletic director is I mean, you'd have to be a fool to advocate. Yeah, we think we should get in. We might lose games that you know, would make it clear that we're not one of the twelve best teams, but we have a lot of people that watch us, so put us in. I mean, it might as well be choreographed professional wrestling if that's what we're doing here. Like, I don't know, just if you in fact include TV ratings and viewership as a factor to get into the college football playoff to you know, then compete for a national championship. This is not even sports anymore. It's about popularity, not about winning. It's crazy and I still can't believe that it's real, if I'm being honest with you. Also, with the NFL Draft coming up, I don't know what to say the NBA. With the NFL Draft coming up here in a couple of days, I will continue to look at what's out there when it comes to just you know, names that are starting to be talked about as guys that may drop or guys that.
Speaker 2: May be you know, moving up the board.
Speaker 1: And there's always guys in college that you know are really good in college, but you just don't really know how well they would translate to the NFL, but you also feel good about them being drafted.
Speaker 2: It just won't be early.
Speaker 1: I feel like every year there's at least a couple of those guys that end up actually having long, successful NFL careers, and it's just a reminder that sometimes they overthink the measurables and how it translates. Like go watch the tap and again, it's a different level playing in college than playing in the NFL. But there are so many franchises out there that have benefited by taking a guy that everybody else said, yeah, you know, I just he was good in college but not the NFL. Well, some that's true. Sometimes you do think somebody's going to translate and it doesn't. But there's also way more examples, in my opinion, of guys that are drafted based solely off of potential, hype measurables and not off of performance or results. My quarterback for my cults, Anthony Richardson, will go down in my opinion as the ultimate.
Speaker 2: Example of that. But you know, and I'm sorry I've talked.
Speaker 1: I feel like the last couple of days I've I've done a lot of you know, gone out of my way to complain about my colts, but I can't help myself. It's draft, you know, it's it's draft week, and I just, you know, I'm sad that we're not in the sweepstakes here for a good quarterback who knows maybe Shuck falls late, and they decide, Okay, we'll give Anthony Richardson one more year, but if not him, we're going to take a chance on this guy. I would love for that, but I doubt we see it happens. So again, we're loaded today.
Speaker 2: Stick with us.
Speaker 1: We got a lot to get into and if you want to join us on the show, you can. Phone lines are now open five oh two five seven one seventy nine hundred and that's to give us a call, and then you can text in on the ln N Federal Credit Union text line five O two four three eight nine three.
Speaker 2: It's coffee and company.
Speaker 1: Feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven to ninety so. In Heather Dinisch's report that came out yesterday at ESPN, this is in regards to what we talked about earlier with the college football playoff spring meetings going on in Dallas and they're being some things thrown out there as far as I guess factors in determining who does and doesn't belong in the twelve team playoff, I mean TV ratings.
Speaker 2: It's insane. But here is exactly what it says in the article.
Speaker 1: It goes, well, I'm not going to read the entire thing, but I just want to say the current twelve team model and another fourteen team model that includes guaranteed spots for the Big Ten, the SEC, the ACC, and the Big twelve in the group of five and one at large have gained the most publicity, but multiple sources have indicated that some commissioners would like the College Football Playoff to present other options this week. It's also possible other league leaders come to the table with ideas, as there is both private and public resistance to the idea of leagues having guaranteed spots to the postseason before the games are played. I mean that last sentence in that excerpt is, I mean guaranteed spots before the games are played. Nobody even thinks about that or says that out loud. What if a conference just fell apart? I mean, I'll give you an example, and you know the ACC, I want the ACC to be really good because obviously that's the league that Louisville's in, and the better your conferences, the better it is for you in every aspect. But I've also been pretty transparent. The ACC has been bad, and now the football side of things was actually I think it is getting better.
Speaker 2: I think last year you're still clearly.
Speaker 1: Behind the SEC in a big way and the Big Ten as well, But I actually think last year was a step in the right direction for the ACC. If I'm being honest with you, maybe it's not much, but still, but in basketball, obviously the league fell off a cliff. So let's just say those leagues, well the ACC in both basketball and football, Instead of you know, getting better, they get even worse. Would you want to have guaranteed slots for a you know, for a league that like the it may be terrible? And again I don't see that happening, right. The SEC and the Big Ten aren't going anywhere, and I think realistically speaking, the ACC, I mean, it can't get much worse, right, But just again, think about it, like guaranteeing spots before any games are played, meaning that like there, I don't even know how it would happen because the vast majority of your games that you play are against your own conference, so you know you're gonna have Like, but what if the winner of the and again this is a hypothetical that really isn't realistic, but like it could happen.
Speaker 2: I mean it won't.
Speaker 1: I think you could say something's not realistic, but know that, like it's a possibility, Like technically it could happen. Like what if the three best teams in the ACC or the Big Ten or the Big twelve or the SEC, any of these, like any of these leagues, Let's say they went they all went to a nine game conference schedule, and they lost every game in the non conference like they played. Again, walk with me here. You no longer can play the FCS teams, You no longer can play the G five teams, like you just all play Power five, which actually think that would be awesome, but you know, not realistic. So let's say, what are those leagues they lost every one of their out of conference games, which, by the way, in basketball, this wasn't actually what happened, but it was close. The SEC and the ACC challenge the in basketball it was nearly a route, I mean a complete sweep for the SEC. So you know, just imagine that in the non conference they did something like that in football in the ACC. And I'm only using them as an example because honestly, the ACC is the worst of those of the of the Big three, I mean, the Big in the Big twelve. I mean, I think it's debatable as far as which one, which one is actually in third place? Right the Big Twelve of the ACC. I think it's the ACC, but maybe I'm biased. But let's say the ACC, all of their teams they played three non conference games, one against the Big Ten, one against the SEC, and one against the Big Twelve. Let's say all of them lost every one of those games. And yet let's say cleb Center Louisville, they win the league, but they didn't beat anybody outside their conference. Are you going to guarantee them spots in the college football playoff knowing that the only thing they did was beat each other? Again, I'm giving you something that's certainly not realistic, But just think about it, guaranteeing spots before anybody's played a game. And it's not guaranteed to teams, obviously, but it's guaranteed to a conference. It doesn't make sense. So here's where it gets to the TV ratings being a factor. This is again from Heather Dinnage of ESPN. One possibility which could be viewed as a compromise is having conferences or automatic bids through their play each season, a model in which each Power four league can earn guaranteed spots through a combination of its team's overall records and maybe even TV ratings. According to a source, it says acording to yeah, yeah, so let me back up, I missed a little she can I can't read a guess, but the only thing that mentions TV ratings is it's a little throw in here at the end, and it says according to a source. So there's really not a whole lot to it. But Heather Genish is clearly pretty plugged in. She's good at her job, and she has a good source that's telling her that they're considering throwing out TV ratings as a factor. And again, if you do that, you're confirming that it's a popularity contest. It's all about clicks, viewership, TMZ type stuff rather than actually winning. Now again, I realized they wouldn't base it off of all, right, yeah, you lost every game Colorado and Dion, But man, we love watching that car wreck, so you're in. You had more viewership than anybody. I mean, they wouldn't just do it that way, but just the thought that they would act they would. That should never be a deciding factor in any way, no matter how many like different tiebreaker scenarios that could be there to determine who gets those final spots. Viewership popularity should never be even considered anybody even mentioning it aloud at these meetings as a clown. You might as well make you know.
Speaker 2: And I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't follow wrestling anymore. And Austin's our wrestling guy, and he's not here today, But isn't a Triple H? Like isn't he running the show now? I don't know?
Speaker 2: If he's in charge of creative a WWE.
Speaker 1: You might as well make Greg Sank the writer for college football like Triple H is for WWE who or whoever is, because if it's just off of popularity and not results, then like, what are we doing to waste the time?
Speaker 2: So we'll see?
Speaker 1: I mean, nothing would surprise me anymore, especially when it comes to college athletics. But with that said, I mean I just have a hard time seeing that that actually gets taken. Not only do I have a hard time seeing and actually becoming a thing, I have a hard time seeing anybody taking it serious. But we'll see, all right, it's coffee and company. Feel about Thorton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Appreciate you hanging out with us. Sorry, this happens every now and then. I get to yap in so fast and I got I got a belch, but I don't want to do it. That'd be very unprofessional of me. And if you know one thing about me, I'm a pro very professional, no nonsense for me. And again I hope you can. You can pick up on sarcasm. But if you going to join us on on the on the phone lunch, you can five O two five seven one seventy nine hundred. You can also text in ellenn Federal Credit Union text line five O two four three eight ninety seventy three. We'll get to the text line in just a moment, but uh, real quick. Another plug for Thornton's stopped in this morning. Got the kids the fizz Freeze. Of course, I loaded up on four more of the Monster Energy drinks. Because you can get four of them for seven bucks. A great deal that you should be taking advantage of. But another good deal they've got going on right now. You can get a five dollars meal deal that is two hot dogs and a fountain drink thirty two ounces for five bucks. And if you're still under the impression that like food at Thornton's, you know, gas station convenience stores, and I don't know about others, but I know Thornton's they've got high quality food that it's not just something they you know, they freeze and throw it under a heat lamp. They have people whose job is to cook and create high quality food. A lot of good options. So again they've got those big, delicious hot dogs different and it's not just you know, your standard hot dog that you know. They've also got the you know, different sausages. Johnsonville broughtz that kind of stuff, so those also are included. So you can get that's a good lunch right there, two of them and at thirty two ounces found drink for five bucks. So shout out to Thornton's, as you know, we are and always will be fueled by Thornton's.
Speaker 2: All right, So this text.
Speaker 1: Came in earlier, and I wanted to read it because I agree for the most part, but I will defend Kentucky and I guess they're fans on this one. So this might shock you. But yesterday I was talking about all the pieces that Kentucky has added and who you know they're bringing back because with the commitment that they got from the Florida transfer Denzel Aberdeen. The report was from CBS Matt and Orlander that that they're done, the roster is set, and I just kind of thought to myself, you know, I get that there's some some good names and play good players too, by the way, Like they added guys that you know clearly other programs would want. So I'm not acting like their team is going to be trash, but I've just kind of felt like, you know, I don't I don't really know if they're any better than they were a year ago. Like, yeah, they got better in certain areas athletically one, but like there's other areas that I feel like are super important to Mark Pope's system that they didn't really seem to prioritize, which, hey, maybe it works out, but again I'll bring I'll reset that to tell you that big shocker. I'm sure a lot of Kentucky fans you know, didn't didn't agree and let me know about it on the text line. And most of them, you know, instead of like, you know, telling me what I said that they disagree with, you know, they just you know, cope.
Speaker 2: Harder whatever that means.
Speaker 1: I mean, I guess that's kind of like the that's like the default response when there's nothing of substance to go back and forth with. Like whenever you see Kentucky fans doing L's down like at any moment, and you and you look as a Louis a fan, like what do you mean you doing?
Speaker 2: Like why like what do you like? Why would you?
Speaker 1: Why do you why have you made that your whole personality? Why did you pose with the family on Easter Sunday and have everybody do L's Down?
Speaker 2: Like why are you? Like? Why are you like this?
Speaker 1: It's not just like being an obsessed sports fan, like it was wrong with you. So whenever you say that, they don't really have any like anything to say back other than oh, your cope harder, Like what do you mean cope? Like you think I need a coping mechanism because you can't contain yourself from throwing L's down. So I mean, I'm not I don't need to cope, but that just that's all they That's all Kentucky fans say whenever you, you know, say something and they don't want to go and I just look, I don't think I said anything crazy. And look, I know a lot of Kentucky fans that listen aren't necessarily super uh you know, sensitive. I'm sure some of them are, But like I, I think I can say things about your team and it be clear that I'm a Louis a fan and don't like Kentucky. But I'll be honest, right even if I don't, you even don't want to like, I don't. I don't like having to say that. I think Mark Pope's a really likable guy and a really good coach because he's the rival. But it's the truth. I mean, I wouldn't I wouldn't tell you something I don't believe. So anyways, this was a response to that that came in I guess from a podcast listener that I wanted to read, and I agree with the premise, but I will throw in one thing that is I think not being considered enough. So if you look at you know, what they added in the offseason with the portal, and I guess also considering the freshman class. But to me, it just kind of seems like they have a good roster, but I don't know how great it is. And by the way, this is the text. It says Nick Kentucky fan here, and I totally agree with you. The roster's good.
Speaker 2: But not great.
Speaker 1: Shooting got worse, didn't add elite talent, and we don't know the status of JQ. People saying this team is loaded have not seen a loaded roster apparently, so I don't think you said anything wrong as far as shooting is worse, and as far as elite talent, like their best player, as far as like NBA upside, it's got to be Jaden Quainton's but that's just based off of all potential, and you know his status is unknown.
Speaker 2: He tore his ACL in March, So you.
Speaker 1: Know, I look at guys like Jalen Lowe, Diobte, a quaintance Aberdeen, Cam Williams, Jealovich, the kid who came from Croatia, although he's not a kid. I think he's a grown man. And then the other guys that they're bringing back. You've got Colin Chandler, Brandon Garrison, Travis Perry, Trentanoah Malachimorno. So one name I left out, I did it, you know, for emphasis to make a point here. I agree with everything you said about Kentucky as far as like, I don't think the roster overall, as far as the additions is great. I don't think that they have near the shooting they had a year ago. And another thing for me that I talked about yesterday is Mark Poe. You know, you can live without it, but his team's at BYU, and even this past year at Kentucky, you could tell if he's got bigs who can pass it, that's a real weapon. I mean, they were able to really make up and I guess close the gap against teams that that were more athletic and more physical than them, that you would think would have would have a good would would have you know, not an easy time. But Kentucky, you know, they didn't have a lot of great athletes last year, so therefore when they played good defensive teams, at times they seemed if they weren't making threes, they were kind of easy to defend. I mean, they did make They scored a ton of points, but anytime you felt like, okay, they could be in a matchup problem here, they're big being such great passers. Hitting the back door, I mean, you know that was a They feel like that was a big weapon for their offense. So anyways, I agree with everything that was said, but they also are bringing back O take Away, which means like they don't They didn't they didn't need to go out there, and I mean they tried, and it would have been big if they did, and they had they had a good players, but they have undoubted the there. Their best player undoubtedly is O take Away. And that's not because they got a bunch of players in the portal that aren't any good. That's it's because he's that good. If he hit the portal, he would be one of the top five players, right. I mean, I guess we won't know because he didn't hit the portal. But that makes it to where you don't really like you can add complimentary pieces, and these guys are better than complimentary pieces. But yeah, I just kind of feel like the overall load of players here is a little bit underwhelming. But again, you have an All American caliber player coming back unless he decides to stay in the NBA draft, which is unlikely. So for louisll let me give you an example. You know, this Louisville team, they lost I mean all, I mean their best players, all of them, I would say, and we're not counting case, and I don't think he would have been their best player head he stayed healthy, but clearly chucki Hebburn was their best player, and after that it's probably Terrence Edwards, and then after that it's probably Rain Smith. So like Louisville lost their best players. So when you look at their roster, they needed to go out there and get a top tier player in the portal, one of the best players. And I don't mean a guy that is you know, BA like for example. This is not a knock on Quaintance because maybe he ends up really coming into his own at Kentucky and becomes great, but he's viewed as a really big piece. He's highly ranked in these rankings out there based off of upside and potential. And that's not to say that it's only that, but clearly he has yet to really do a whole lot as a college player, but he's still viewed to be somebody that might be a twenty or not a twenty, but a ten year NBA player. So for Louisville, they needed to go out and get some of the best players in the portal because you know, they're bringing back Hadley Prior looks like, and they've got some other good pieces coming back, so you know, their best player next year. Maybe it ends up being Hadley, maybe it ends up being Prior, but you know, I wouldn't be shocked if it ends up being Ryan Conwell, who was an All Big East performer at Xavier. Maybe even Isaac McNeely, who was an All acc third team guy I believe, or maybe it's Adrian Wooley, who was one of the best freshmen in the country last year, although it was at Kennesaw State and he's having to jump up a year, so you know, Kentucky they did try to go get guys like Lindenborg, who tradesfer from UAB to Michigan. Obviously, they were in on Donovan Dent early, and you know they didn't get some of these guys. I mean, they wanted Mackenzie Andbaco couldn't get him, so you know, I'm sure they wanted those guys, and I'm not here to tell you that, Like I think their team's great, but when you have Otega away coming back, you can add the kind of guys they had and.
Speaker 2: Still look at the rest of your roster.
Speaker 1: And feel like, you know, we've got a chance to be, you know, competing at the top of the sec again. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. Wrap up the four sorry, wrap up the three oclock hour. Getting ahead of myself here, but yeah, stick around. We got one more segment here in the three o'clock hour and a lot more to go, so again, keep it locked right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: That's right, wrap it up the three o'clock hour.
Speaker 1: Here on a beautiful Tuesday afternoon, it is coffee and company, and we are fueled by Thornton's big shout out to my friends over at the Louisville Men's Clinic. They helped me, and I know they can help you, and I guess I don't know that for certain. I'm sure there's some people listening that they couldn't help, you know, especially if you're not a man. Hence the name of Louisville Men's Clinic. But it's not just low testosterone, which you guys have heard me talk about quite a bit, because that's something that I didn't even realize was the thing. I mean, i'd heard of it, but had no clue what it was and didn't even really care what it was. And then sure enough, you know, marketing works, messaging works, and I was listening to some of their commercials that are on our family of stations here at iHeart, and I thought, you know what that could be me. You know, maybe I feel like these early to mid thirties hit me harder than I was anticipating. And I just assumed it was because I was getting older and that's just life. But maybe there's more to it. And sure enough, that's what it was. My testosterone levels were a lot lower than what they should be for somebody my age, and now that's been something I've been treating that for over a year now, and I feel better now at thirty six, almost thirty seven, than I did for I feel like a good chunk of my of my early thirties. So that's how they've helped me. And I'm sure there's plenty of you listening right now that are maybe even younger than me, and maybe you feel like, yeah, I'm not getting the same results as I used to get in the gym. And again, you probably just chalk it up to getting older or maybe not taking care of yourself as much as you once did. And maybe that's the case, or maybe not. Maybe you could have a much better and healthier life, happier life if in fact, you know, you got it looked at. But it's not just it's not just for testosterone treatment. It's a rectilist function. They've got a variety of ways they can treat that for you. They also can help you when it comes to hair restoration weight loss therapy. So again I doubt that they have many people that just show up and say, hey, I don't know what you all can do for me, but let's talk. But I'm sure they wouldn't be opposed to it, because you know, I think I've tried my best, and I think I've done a fairly decent job of really kind of you know, laying out my situation. But I wasn't living life thinking, man, I need to get this fixed. I've got this issue. I just thought that was life. And sure enough, you know there was something that could be done, which I've done. That is well, I didn't do it. The Loib of Men's Clinic did it, so again check it out Louis of Men's Clinic dot com babo.
Speaker 2: Two four four.
Speaker 1: Thousand that that definitely is the way to go, all right, so we are up against it. We'll get out of here in just a few minutes or actually not a few minutes, but probably within a minute or so. But I do want to set the table for the rest of the way. Pat Kelcey obviously, so far so good. Year one was phenomenal and the future looks really, really bright. But he found out about something over the weekend that he probably didn't really consider when he took this job, right, meaning something that could be a real cool perk that you really wouldn't expect anywhere else other than Louisville. We'll talk about that. Also, I don't know if you guys have ever gotten into the Untold series on Netflix. It's basically Netflix's version of the thirty for thirties that ESPN does, And I feel like they've been phenomenal, meaning the in fact thirty for thirty is phenomenal too. But Netflix really has done documentaries at a high level, and I think the Untold series has been great, and they've now put out at least a couple of the different stories they're going to feature, and I cannot wait so we can get into that and we'll see, of course, you know, what transpires the rest of the way here. As far as it being the last day for players to enter the portal, I did make the prediction that we might see a big, big name that nobody would have expected hit the portal before the end of the show today, but I could easily be wrong. Trust me, I'm wrong. I'm wrong pretty often. And also, the NFL Draft, just a couple of days away, will check in on not just Tyler Shuck as far as where he's projected to go, but also the other local players. And you guys will hear a lot more about these guys this time of year than you really ever do. And that is, you know, whatever happened to that guy who they drafted, you know in the first rod at quarterback and you know was awful. There's a good breakdown here, I guess I should say, a good rundown of a lot of these guys that you forgot about that you know, we're big time NFL Draft busts. In fact, some of these names are names we talked about yesterday, and it is nice to see these guys have seemingly found, you know, a good life, despite unfortunately always probably being remembered by the majority of society as yeah, that guy was a real bust. I mean, I'm sure you know their family and their loved ones. It's different or if they were really good in college and you know you're a fan of that program. But you know, for example, when I hear the name Ryan Leaf, one thing comes to mind, and that would be tough to deal with, right like, and you can't control it. It's really not your fault, you know, you know what I mean. So we can get into that and a lot more. Stick with us four o'clock hours coming up next right here on Sports Talk seven ninety