Speaker 1: It's night Side with Dan Ray. I'm WBZY Constance Radio.
Speaker 2: Well well, well, welcome back everybody. That was an interesting hour with a variety of different topics. And it's not easy for us, from my producer during the day, Marita, to get four different guests every night on topics that really do impact a lot of people. So I hope you enjoyed. I hope you enjoyed the eight o'clock hour as you enjoy the nine to ten of the eleven o'clock hours as well. And by the way, if you've missed any hour of Nightside, you can go to Nightside on demand dot com. That is our podcast portion of the website if you will, Meaning every hour that we broadcast, whether it's the eighth, the nine, the ten, of the eleven, every night of the week Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday at Friday are posted by Rob Brooks, our producer, before he goes home in the wee morn hours of the morning, and they are post that in the the reverse order of which they've heard. So by when Rob goes home sometime in the early morning hours, he will have posted at nightsideemdemand dot com our eleven o'clock hour, which we've yet to do our ten o'clock hour, next, our nine o'clock hour, the hour we're doing right now, and of course the eight o'clock hour that you just heard. So feel free any hour if you missed you and go back. You can go back months, as a matter of fact, and find programs and hour of programs, maybe even an hour that you might have called in, and you can kind of critique your own work as a caller. So let's talk about a story caught my attention yesterday. So I was looking at my Boston Herald, and the Boston City Council never surprises. They just never surprise. And this is one that just shows and proves in my opinion that at least in Boston and maybe in your community, I don't know. Of course, in your community you probably elect maybe city councilors, maybe you elect aldermen or whatever. But in Boston, in Boston, we have thirteen city councils, all of whom wake up every morning, look in the mirror and think they're the mayor. Because that's just the way it works in Boston. Every city councilor wants to be the mayor. It's like everybody who plays for the Providence Bruins, and maybe this year, it's true they feel that they could do better than the Boston Bruins. But that's the story for another night. So the Boston City Council, how many of you have, upon occasion, called and ordered some food to be delivered to your home. You know, you get home late and you're hungry, and you don't have time. Maybe you haven't been to the supermarket in weeks, and there's nothing in your refrigerator, perhaps except for an orange and maybe some milk that is kind of on the edge. And you say, well, I feel like a real meal, and I've had an orange and a glass of milk in the past. So you order, You call your local restaurant, You call you if you live in Roslindale, o, JP or wherever. And of course you do the same thing if you live in New Bedford or a Worcester or Lowell. But what happens in Boston might set a precedent for these other communities. So you have these politicians, these elected leaders, who really think they can run the lives of their constituents. They are not there to serve and help you. They are there to make whatever name they can make. Make so. We have a couple of city councilors who were highlighted a piece by Gala Cawley yesterday in the Herald. City Council meaning the Boston City Council weighing new foe de food delivery tax. Yeah, as you've often heard, let me say, politicians in Massachusetts only tax two things, anything that moves and anything that doesn't move. So if you have a car, they tax it, excise tax, and then tax on the automobile forever. If you own a home, it doesn't move, they tax it. It doesn't matter, they tax it all. It's as simple as that. So now you've heard the phrase that the politicians are nickel and diming people to death. I know you won't believe this, particularly if you didn't read the article by Gayla Cawley in the Herald yesterday. But the City Council. I read it and I thought this can't be true. The council is discussing a potential amendment to a Road Safety and Accountability for Delivery Provider's Ordinance. That's a mouthful, okay, proposed by the mayor. She wants road safety and accountability for delivery providers. So if you're out there tonight and you're a food deliverer, this is for you. If you're out there tonight and you're an uber driver who maybe occasionally picks up orders at one of these food locations, this is for you as well. The city of Boston who can't hire enough police officers. There are so many things that they cannot do. They cannot allow people to drive into the city without bike lanes everywhere. They want to impose Get this, you talk about nickel and diming, This is nickel and diming. Literally. They want to propose add on tack on to this proposal from the mayor, which god enough probably is crazy enough. Anyway, They want to propose a fifteen cent that's right, a fifteen cent delivery fee per order for national third party food delivery companies that operate in Boston. I have no idea what they mean by national third party food delivery companies that operate in Boston. And by the way, when I said they want a nickel and dime, you take one nickel and one dime and you got fifteen cents. Think of the amount of paperwork, the amount of paperwork that would be involved to keep track of fifty every every food delivery and fifteen cents. These people are nuts at this point. I mean, when I read it yesterday in Gala's piece in the Herald, I thought to myself, fifteen percent. So let's say that I don't know, someone ordered a ten dollars burger. Well, you can't get a ten dollar burger in Boston anymore. Let's assume they ordered a thirty dollars burger in Boston. Thirty dollars burger Boston, and maybe a drink with it, a ten dollars pepsi or something like that. It's going to be forty dollars. Let's work round it at forty. So I thought to myself, Okay, you know they'll charge a sixth of that, fifteen percent of that. That'd be about six bucks. So that instead of being in order that you'd pay forty dollars for with a tip, of course, that tack on an additional six dollars. That's what I thought. Or to put it more simply, if let's say you ordered something that was just twenty dollars, keep it simpler. A six percent tax on twenty dollars would be what about twenty or something like that. Um, No, fifteen cents why would any city councilor in his or her right mind come come up with that number of fifteen cents? This is the delivery fee assessment. A delivery fee of fifteen cents per order, per order, and they write it out so there's no no confusion here. Zero big dollar sign in front of the zero point one point five per order shall be assessed on each provider operating within the City of Boston. Providers shall remit the total delivery fees on a quarterly basis. Well, that's going to add up to a lot of money in a format and manner prescribed by the Boston Transportation Department ensuring accurate and timely reporting. Revenue generated from this fee shall be dedicated exclusively to initiatives that improve transportation infrastructure. Oh yeah, they're gonna pave a lot of roads, They're gonna fill a lot of potholes. Without every one of those fifteen cents, they would they would be better to tap people throw dimes into the potholes than they'd be all set. Oh also, traffic safety, yep. Environmental sustainability, we're gonna we're gonna end climate change with this as well as enforcement of this ordinance. Because you're going to have the people enforcing the ordinance. I assume you're going to have to have. Now you have meter maids out there tagging automobiles. Now you're gonna have to have some sort of enforcement officers. I shouldn't say meter mads. That's a sexist term. Strike that enforcement officers who will be monitoring the number of people who came in, flew in to the door, ran out with an order try to keep it warm on a cold winter's night. Penalties may include it may result in suspension of revocation of the provider's permit as outlined in Section seventeen Hyphen twenty two dot eight. Boston Traffic Department may impose an additional penalty for repeated violations. To ensure transparency and accountability BTD, I'm just gonna leave it at BTD.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Boston Transportation Department shall publish an accessible annual report detailing the total revenue collected from the delivery fee, the specific programs and projects funded by the fee, and a summary of enforcement actions taken against noncompliant providers. B TEND may periodically review and adjust the delivery fee. Oh, we may periodically review and adjust the delivery fee. I don't think it's going to be decreased. Let me just get on the record as that subject to a review and approval by the City Council, because we're the most powerful thirteen people in Boston other than the Mayor, to ensure it remains effective in supporting objectives outlined in seventeen hyphen twenty two point seven, Section C under no circumstances showed the delivery fee established in this section be passed on to individual operators, local businesses, or consumers in the form of surcharges, additional fees, or pricing adjustments. No, of course not. They are going to raise the price of anything, No matter of fact, though I guess they'll probably drop the price, right, Yeah, they'll be They'll be selling They'll be selling filet mignon for two bucks. Once say, this is crazy, This is just insane. Is this what politicians are elected to do. I'm hoping to hear from as many of you as possible, And if you're like me and you're someone who is really suspicious of what government tries to do, feel free to join this conversation. Uh you may say, well, this is nicol and Dimes stuff, Dan, and it is, and that's why I'm doing it as nicol and dime stuff six one, seven, two, five four ten thirty six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. If you think this is a good idea, first of all, fifteen cents, that's not even going to cover enforcement of the program. That's not going to cover the tickets that people are going to have to fill out or the reports they're going to have to file. This is what the City Council of Boston has reduced itself to. I think we need to get back to the to the good old days of Freddie Langholm six one seven, two five ten thirty six one seven nine three one ten thirty. This is government at its worst, in my opinion. Feel free to join the conversation. Be right back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World to night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, let's go to the phone calls. Let's start off with Bill Oh. By the way, I must mention that we invited City Councilor Sharon Turkin to join us tonight. Who's the I guess, the primary proponent of this fee. And we also invited a gentleman named Stephen Clark, who's the president and the CEO of the Massachusetts Restaurant Association, but he was unable to join us tonight, so fortunately he didn't provide someone else. I would assume that restaurant owners would have an interest in fighting this, uh, this ridiculous fifty percent fee. I mean they said it's like a five dollars fee to say, well, at least it's worth it. I mean, anyway, let me go to Bill in Boston see what he has to think here. Bill, you were first up tonight on Night Side and first up this week. Welcome Hi Dan Bill, Hi Bill.
Speaker 3: Hi Dant. So you think it'll be a lot easier and quicker to raise these funds as opposed to fifteen percent or fifteen cents per order to just cut back on waste and overspending.
Speaker 2: You're asking me to think that the city council or the mayor in Boston would cut back on waste and overspending. Are you out of your mind?
Speaker 3: We could raise a lot more money that way. And I know there's some opposition to cutting back on waste and overspending.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's that's one of the great purposes of government is to look yeah, you heard the story that at the end of the year, the end of the fiscal year, where they have some budget line that they have spent, they will turn around and say, hey, if we don't spend this, we're gonna lose it. You get it, you know they do what the last thing you want to do is say, oh, my goodness, it's insane.
Speaker 3: It's going after the small businesses and the going after the people that are just trying to put food on their.
Speaker 2: Table, exactly right, the very people who provide the tax money that allows them to hire their brothers in laws and their cousins and their best friends from high school as aides and assistants that they probably don't need.
Speaker 3: You know, yes, exactly.
Speaker 2: It's it's just amazing. They will kill the golden goose. I mean, you see what's going on in Washington right now, and I think that the amount of waste and spending that I think the Trump administration should probably slow it down a little bit for their own But if the government was not thirty six or thirty seven trillion dollars in the hole, I mean you got to do something here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, instead of just going after the taxpayers trying to make a living.
Speaker 2: Well, they're going after not only the people who will be impacted by this. Which people don't understand is that when you come home after long day at work, you get up early, you go to work. Maybe you're doing a job you don't particularly like, but you do it because you've got to make a living and you're earning money. And a good portion of that money is going in taxes to the Feds and to the state, and also to the city. If you're renting, if you're a young person renting in the city, the least that you pay the rent you pay every month, A good portion of that is for the property taxes that that the owner of the bill of the property is charged. He's not going to say, oh, I'll cut your rent by three hundred a month, don't worry about it. No, they're going to pass right wrong whatever there It all gets past. Yeah, it all runs downhill like water.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: And so now a fifteen cent how much paperwork do you think is involved in a fifth in keeping track of a fifteen cent fee?
Speaker 3: Think, let's keep them somebody employed.
Speaker 2: I guess that's right, you gots That's exactly what it comes down to. And you know it sounds like that I'm cynical or you're cynical, but we're not. We're really not.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I think we're practically.
Speaker 2: Well, we've seen this play before. We've seen this before, and you've got the city council that are there's thirteen of them there that look in the mirror every morning and say good morning, Madam mayor good morning, mister mayor. I mean, I'm serious.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, where our income tax rate could be. If waste was eliminated, all the spending was eliminated, it'd probably be no income tax.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I again, I don't think they'll ever get rid of the income tax realistically, but it could be a lot, it could be a lot lower. Look in California, people who are working in our next call is going to be from California. In California, everybody has to pay federal income tax, so it can be as high as thirty seven percent. And in California it's a lot of people who do very well. They make thirty seven percent, and then they're paying thirty uputs of thirteen percent of the state and never mind what else they're paying in terms of excise taxes and other forms of taxes. They're working for the state. They're not working for themselves in California. And that's why California and California has just a myriad of problems.
Speaker 3: Is that the highest tax right in the country for a state.
Speaker 2: Tax is California. Right, wow, thirteen. Our tax in Massachusetts is you know, five pen but then you add in the millionaires tax and it's nine percent. So if you're in California and you're you're making some money. And whether you're George kloon Out or you're Mike Trump or or playing for the Angels or Sultani, Yeah, uh, playing playing for the Dodgers, which is why he went for this twenty year contract and it was going to be mostly deferred money. And by the way, Massachusetts with the millionaires tax, how tough do you think it's going to be here in Massachusetts for the Red Sox, the Bruins, the Celtics, and the Patriots to sign talent, they need to compete when the go to they go to Texas, they go to Tennessee, they go to Florida, they go to a lot of states where that doesn't exist. Actually, probably virtually everywhere, even in New York. All right, Bill, thanks for getting us going. I appreciate it, you know that. Thank you, my friend, appreciate your coming. Thanks, talk to you soon, Okay. One line, one line open at six one seven two five four ten thirty. I got two lines at six one seven nine three one ten thirty. I'm going to shut this off at nine o'clock. A rather coming up at ten o'clock. Excuse me. We're going to talk about a the question of who's going to lead the Democratic Party out of the wilderness. I hope to god they did, they do come out of the wilderness, and that they can pull their act together, But right now, they seem to be scrambling, and uh, it almost looks as if the future of the party might fall to Bernie Sanders. He certainly has has a lot of passion and a lot of intelligence, and I've spoken about him before. I don't necessarily agree with him, but I think he's I think he's pretty honest. Six one seven thirty six seven, nine thirty. We'll keep it going here at night side. They have invented another tax in Boston. For all I know, it may be a tax that they're copying. Maybe they're not smart enough to invent another tax. Maybe this tax already exists in other cities. I mean, obviously where we're we're going to have congestion pricing in Boston at some point, we're stealing that from London and from from New New York City. Back on night.
Speaker 1: Side, It's Night Side with Dan Ray on Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Let's keep rolling here and again, by the way, this comes the increase, this fifteen cent increase comes against the backdrop of the of Massport increasing rideshare fees to and from Logan Airport. So all they're going to do with Massport is they will increase the It shows that right now. I guess the prices are going to go from three and a quarter to five point fifty in the next couple of years, and then seven to fifty starting in twenty twenty seven. I think they may have actually come to some sort of an agreement of a little lesser than fees, a little less. I guess, according to a piece that I'm seeing here, the current fee three and a quarter a trip will rise to five point fifty on July first. It never goes down. So those of you who are out there tonight, uber and lyft drivers, how's that going to impact you? Let's go to my friend David in San Francisco. I got two or three friends named David in San Francisco. I'm not sure this one is. It's always we never know for sure. Hey David in San Francisco, welcome back.
Speaker 5: Oh thanks Dan. And I'm the one that usually ends up swimming. Well, let me ask you.
Speaker 2: I hope if you're wearing your swim trunks tonight, let me know, and hopefully we can end up in a conversation which won't end up with you in the water.
Speaker 4: How's that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Right, Well, you know you're in the famous seventeen seventy six Boston and colony economics was the big deal back then, doesn't Yeah, and Uber doesn't have its headquarters in Boston. I take it. I don't know if you have Lyft out there or Amazon there.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, we got all that, you know, We're we're fairly advanced here. We have all the stuff you guys have an SF.
Speaker 5: Shore, all right, But the fifteen cent would be added to all of those different companies, and none of those corporate headquarters are in Boston. So colony economics is going on here in Boston and in almost every city in the world. Those companies are so huge if you go into I don't know, Lusan. I'm trying to think of some bizarre town in Zanzibar or something like that.
Speaker 2: Don't if anybody could think of a bizarre town in Zanzibar. David, I know it's going to be you. Before you go off on me here, just for a second, let me make sure I understand where you're going. I really enjoy having a conversation with you as long as we can have a conversation. So what they're doing in Boston, as I've already mentioned the nickel and diming people, So they're saying to you, if you're working as an uber driver, uh, and you have people that you're picking up food for the restaurant, I guess is supposed to charge an extra fifteen cents or pay an extra fifteen cents, But you know that's only going to be passed on to the customer. I think you and I both are smart enough to realize that. I mean, when when Ubert you know there's Ubers, they're they're increasing the airfares here. I've been to San Francisco and I've taken ubers from San Francisco Airport just like Boston, by the way, but now they're going to raise the per feed trip, not only what you pay, you know, and it could be dependable where you're coming from. Seventy seventy five one hundred bucks, if you're from the suburbs, they're going to whack you out for an addictional five point fifty And you know, I mean that's gonna a number of people are going to say, you know what, Hey, I don't need to go. And maybe what people will start to do is they'll say it's getting too expensive and they'll double up or something. And it always comes down to this incredible appetite that any government agency has for more money. And David, between you and me, and I want to shut up and give you a chance to respond to this. All this money goes to people at these quasi public agencies and at these city agencies. They make pretty good money. They make more money than people regular people who are working nine to five jobs. These people back here, I don't know what they make in San Francisco, but if you work in government back here, you're making one hundred thousand dollars. We get people back here. It always comes out with overtime. They make a half a million dollars as city workers. I mean, that's absurd.
Speaker 5: Should do that. I mean, yeah, that's right, you're right, you're.
Speaker 2: Right, But it's not just. But David, it's not just. It's not a cops, Dave. It's not like the cops are killing it and everybody else is making fifty thousand dollars a year. I'm sure you have the same problem out there, and none of them are really doing much to help anybody. They're not producing anything. Go ahead, I need to listen to you before go ahead, David.
Speaker 5: Colony economics is what I'm leaning on. And when you start having these corporations that are doing deliveries. You know, if you think a hundred years ago, WC. Fields, I think he was down there in Philadelphia and he was delivering groceries for Nicola, a delivery, and so little kids or teenagers used to do deliveries and it would go straight to their pocket and help feed mom who was starving in the kitchen. And the idea that now a corporation can have worldwide deliveries and they suck all the money to their corporate headquarters. That's straight to seventeen seventy six. This Uber company I'm so disgusted by Lyft and Uber and what's the other one Amazon. These guys are the wealthiest people in the world because they are the biggest colony colonizers of the world. Who would imagine that, you know, a rickshaw driver in Hong Kong would keep the money instead of Lift or Uber sucking it to Well.
Speaker 2: Let me explain. Let me explain to you something that I'm sure you know, but maybe our audience doesn't. Okay, Here in Boston we used to have a certain number of taxi cab drivers. There were only eight eighteen hundred Hackney licenses that they were issued. And do you know what the value of a Hackney license, if you owned a Hackney license, do you know what, but the value of that Hackney license was at its height.
Speaker 5: Out here, it was a quarter million dollars.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, you're right on the money out here was actually a little more. It was a little more here. It got up close to six hundred thousand dollars in More. And then what happened was you couldn't get a Hackney license. There were only eighteen hundred licenses that the city said would and was run by the Police Department, which of courses were run by the Mayor's office, and then incomes Uber and Lyft, and all of a sudden, Boston was flooded with Uber and Lyft drivers, which was great because you could get an Uber would show up at your drawer in like thirty seconds. And I'm sure you've experienced it as well out there. But it killed the taxi It killed the taxi industry here in Massachusetts.
Speaker 4: And there were people well in Boston who had purchased these taxi medallions for six hundred and fifty thousand dollars, and all.
Speaker 2: Of a sudden, instead of you know, having the value of that license because it had a value because they could only be eight, they opened it up. And you're right in the point of view that Uber had all the lawyers, and Lift had all the lawyers. And I on this radio station you may not remember it. I was one of the people. I was playing Paul Revere at the time, as I try to do every night, and I was saying, this is crazy, this is not fair. For years and years and years it was a system, and now Uber has come in. If you and I had just started to drive taxi cabs around or without a license, or just decided to use. We would have been pulled over and arrested. But somehow uber and able to come in and flood the market here, and the taxi drivers many of them just surrendered their their medallions. So this is the same thing, David, it's the same thing. We do agree. I told you the last time that you were here, were we agreed, and I think some somehow you didn't didn't leave me. But look, this was a lovely conversation on my end.
Speaker 5: I'll finish up.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, I'll give you final work. Go ahead, I'll give you a final work.
Speaker 5: I would have liked to have the councilwoman, uh, talk numbers, because the fifteen cents is probably what it's costing the city. You know it's there. The city does take wear and tear on the streets, and you know there are different issues at the city. So it's a modest fifteen cents.
Speaker 2: But just think think the paperwork, David, take in the paperwork. It'll it'll cost them Lord Titanic. It's crazy.
Speaker 5: Money is electronic. The money is electronic. That's not really the issue. The bigger picture. You know, at the top of the hour, you had discussion about the train going down to the south part of the state and it's going to be running for free for a couple of months. Well, there are in many cities. Here in San Francisco, we did a to talk about making the bus system entirely free, and it would have actually made the city two billion dollars a year by making the bus system free because there is so much expense in special accounting special uh, you know, the meter. Excuse me, the fare box costs a lot. You've got to have special accounting, and the farebox costs about seventy five percent of running the buses.
Speaker 2: And what we'll do next time, since since you brought up that topic, I'll do a little research on that. It doesn't it seems to me that if you're going to have a use a city service, it's not unreasonable to have it cost you a buck or two because you're you're Do you ever heard the word time stoffle.
Speaker 5: David, Well, the economics of it is as soon as you.
Speaker 2: Have David, David, just try to be with me for a second here. Have you ever heard the word ton staffel?
Speaker 5: Not off han okay.
Speaker 2: Ton staffel is an acronym. It stands for there ain't no such thing as a free lunch. So if people are riding the MBTA or riding trains or riding airplanes, someone's paying for it. Someone's paying for the gas. So we'll leave that as economics one oh one for now, and just remember ton stuffel. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. You might go into a restaurant and they may give you a free lunch, David, but somebody's paid for that. Maybe the owner paid for it, the chef, you know it just it's it's just economics one on one.
Speaker 4: David.
Speaker 2: We did ten minutes and you didn't end up in the water. Thank you very much. I enjoyed our conversation. Well you want to go in, let's let's put him in, Rob he asked for it.
Speaker 4: David.
Speaker 2: We'll be back on nightside. I'd love to hear from you. I'm again a little surprised, and we're going to change topics at ten o'clock. If this doesn't this one infuriates me. If it doesn't bother you, hey, stay go back to sleep. We'll be back on night side six one seven, two, ten thirty, six one seven, nine three ten thirty Coming back on nightside.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan ray Line from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Now, I thought this would be a really interesting topic. It is to me, obviously, it is not to my audience, and sometimes I misjudge my audience, which is fine, not a problem. Rob was saying, maybe what the city should do as their next initiative is have some sort of little tolling device on bike lanes. I think that's a possibility as well. I mean, they are just looking for all sorts of ways in order to raise money. They're not raising money to provide services. They're raising money for the purpose of raising money. And until people here in Massachusetts wake up, I don't think this will ever change. Frankly, I think that we are in a really progressive state here in Massachusetts, and as long as people go to the polls and vote into office the same people, the incumbents, who could care less about what your workday is like, they will raise whatever type of money they can raise. It is really as simple as that. So again, for those of you out there who might be people who are going to order food going forward, once this fifteen cent additional tax is imposed on your food orders, don't be surprised if your food orders go up a dollar and a half because you know that will be an opportunity. As my friend David in San Francisco would probably agree, there would be an opportunity for some of the restaurant owners to say, hey, it's going to cost us more than fifteen cents just to keep track of this. We're not going to pay the fifteen cents. We're going to pass it on to our customers, or we're going to pass it on to the uber drivers. It just to me, I'm so amazed that people in Massachusetts allow this to happen to them time and time again. I've had Diana dis Ugly on the state udit or the come over of Massachusetts, who simply wants to do her job, which is to audit, and she wants to audit the state legislature in an effort to find out if everything is on the level, and if the money that the legislature is spending is being sent for a good public being spent on a good public purpose, and if it's not, what is it being spent on. But after seventy two percent of you, the residents of Massachusetts, voted to authorize her and actually change the law to make it a law, a state law, that she would be allowed to do her job, and she would be instructed to audit the legislature. The audit the legislature. Now, a law that went into effect in January has still not been audited, and they're trying to negotiate with Diana Desaghlia. We have to have her on again. We've had her on before, We'll have her on again. But it just shows the attitude that state legislators and city councilors and mayors in this state have because they realized they pretty much can do what they want. Because the voters have been put into a slumber, a certain percentage of the voters choose not to go to the polls because they're so angry they don't even vote, as if that makes sense, but it doesn't. But their atitude or I'm not going to vote because I don't want to be part of the problem. No, by not voting, you become part of the problem, because if you voted, maybe we'd have a few members of the General Court and maybe a few members of city council and other august bodies thrown out of office. But no, people just roll over and they say to themselves, what can I do well. You know, if you have that attitude, If you have that attitude, the politicians will take advantage of you every time, every day, and twice and twice on Sunday, simple as that. So I will wait until this goes into effect. And of course it won't stay fifteen cents long. But what it's once the proverbial camel's nose is in the tent, will it will increase. You can count on that. And all that will mean is that you'll have to work a little harder, maybe work a little more over time, so you can afford the food that you eat. Welcome to Massachusetts, as simple as that. Anyway, coming up on the other side of the ten o'clock news, we're going to talk about the National Democratic Party. And as strong as the Democratic Party is here in Massachusetts, and it is very strong, the National Democratic Party is in really substantial problems right now. There's all sorts of polling which is suggesting that young people, people in the age group of eighteen to twenty four or even twenty four to twenty nine, becoming more Republican as they come in. They're actually the hope for the future, I guess would be the way to describe it. So over the weekend, poor Bernie Sanders was doing an interview with Jonathan Carl, not what you would call a tough interviewer, particularly in terms of Democratic guests, but he asked Bernie a couple of questions about AOC who was thinking about taking a run at Chuck Schumer, who is the Senate Minority leader now, and Bernie got quite upset, and we're going to talk about that. And my question is, really, this Democratic Party is in they got some problems, Okay, they've just been wrong on so many issues. Who can lead the Democratic Party. I'm putting my money on Bernie Sanders. Although he is eighty three years of age, he's probably one of the youngest thinking members of the Democratic Party. We'll talk about that on the other side, and I'll play this very interesting interview that he had with Jonathan Carl yesterday. So we will forge ahead right after the ten o'clock news here at night Sidware coming back right after this