Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, The Gary and Shannon Show on demand.
Speaker 2: On the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, The Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio App.
Speaker 3: We're going to go straight to an update on the Franklin Fire out of Malibu, four thy thirty seven acres.
Speaker 4: They just said it's at twenty percent containment as of that.
Speaker 5: Of the areas, and that's strictly due to the successful efforts of all agency personnel working collaboratively together to start bringing containment and make sure the areas are safe.
Speaker 4: Some areas around the fire are.
Speaker 5: Still going to still remain in evacuation orders and warnings. It is our number one priority to get residents back into their homes and to their communities. However, we have to make sure it's safe to do so. The team behind me and the multiple firefighters that are out and agencies on this incident are constantly and striving to get you in back into your communities as quickly as possible. But this is a multi agency approach and we do need to make sure that the area is safe prior to anybody re entering the area. We need to ensure that we have the first responder safety along with safety for the residents. As we go through the next couple of days, we'll continue to work on reopening additional areas as it is safe and it's been extinguished and checked to make sure it's safe for the public to return.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: I was a LA County Assistant Chief Dusty Martin. There again an update on the Franklin fire burnout and out everyone.
Speaker 6: My name is Deputy Fire Chief of Lenny Pappus. I'm with Los Angeles County Fire Department and I'm one of the ICs along with Chief Martin. I'd like to just say let you know there was a valiant effort amongst the firefighters in this first thirty six to forty eight hours. It was an incredible show of commitment that contained the fire to the footprint you see today. I'd like to say that we have done in assess of the structures within the fire footprint. Roughly seventy six hundred structures are in the fire footprint. Fifty six hundred are single family dwellings their homes. Out of those, fifty six hundred homes that we believe. Right now, we've only done twenty five percent full assessment of the area. Four homes have been destroyed, six homes have been damaged, and we are reporting five outbuildings or smaller structures like sheds and things like that that have been destroyed. So we have a total of nine structures destroyed and four damage. Again, that's only twenty five percent of the total assessment. As we get a better handle around this fire, will get better clarity, we'll be able to complete an assessment of all of our structures and get a final report. We just want to assure everyone that La County Fire and our partners with cal Fire and all of our unified command and supporting agencies that we will be there to help get our people, get the residents and the communities back into their homes, and we will be there to help with support. So thank you again and we are looking forward to getting everyone back home safely.
Speaker 4: Thank you well.
Speaker 3: We're getting this update out of out of Malibu again with a Franklin fire. The assistant chief said that the acreage held at four thousand and thirty seven and as of right now, they have been able to cut a lot more containment line around. It stands at twenty percent contained. And as the other assistant chief there was saying nine structures destroyed, and they said four of those were homes. So in the context of other massive fires that have blown through Malibu in the last couple of decades, this is actually pretty They got pretty lucky with this one in that the wind event that we saw when Monday night into Tuesday, which really blew this thing pretty quickly, then has slowed down significantly, and there is a chance of some showers over the couple next couple of hours.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they started in northern California this morning and they're moving down the coast. They say that into the afternoon, in the evening, we're going to have the clouds that we're seeing now, and then the chance of rain in the mountain and foothill areas.
Speaker 4: So relatively good news. But what else is going on?
Speaker 7: Time four?
Speaker 4: What's happening?
Speaker 3: Stay away, water damage, fire damage, Burglary called public adjuster and their death eight one, eight, nine, seven, five, five six.
Speaker 2: Stay away from the what the pink cocaine?
Speaker 4: We did that already.
Speaker 2: Stay away from all the cocaine.
Speaker 1: You can't do drugs anymore kids they put stuff in it, they will kill you.
Speaker 3: And if they're trying to market it with fancy colors, you know, it's even worse.
Speaker 1: Stick to Core's light, like our friends said earlier, will never lead you astray.
Speaker 2: Unless you have twelve it's easy to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the pink cocaine, it's making its way into the LA drug already seen.
Speaker 3: It's a mix of ketamine, molly, opioids, even some new psychoactive substances. There's too many ingredients for me, just a sweet smelling powder that triggers hallucinogenic effects. The head of the UCLA Police Department, John Thomas, has stepped down because of criticism of the security lapses during protests on campus earlier this year. A social media post the Police Department of UCLA said that Thomas's last day was Tuesday, did not specify what prompted the departure, whether this was a mutual you quit or we will resign you kind of thing. He was reassigned by the university in May after the internal and external investigations into how the university handled those protests, and to be honest, it was it seems from the outside like the fact they let them happen in the first place and get out of control.
Speaker 4: It was the problem.
Speaker 3: If they had clamped down on and followed their own rules early on, this would not have been an issue.
Speaker 1: Mariah Carey will join Netflix's NFL Christmas Game Day. Mariah Carey will kick off its first ever NFL Christmas Game Day Live with a performance of.
Speaker 2: What Sean do you think She's gonna sing? Just take a.
Speaker 1: Guess out of the entire catalog of Mariah Carey songs, going back to emotions, sweet fantasy, sweet fantasy, that would be fun. No, heartbreaker, heartbreaker, something about the Christmas We belong together.
Speaker 2: It is the Christmas one, the Christmas one. Yes, and now you don't even want to say no.
Speaker 1: It's just funny because like we're hit over the head with this song every Christmas and now I can't remember what the name.
Speaker 2: Oh all I want for Christmas?
Speaker 1: Is?
Speaker 2: You right?
Speaker 1: It's a banger. It's a fun little He'll get you going, He'll get you moving.
Speaker 4: No one has ever said that about that song. It's not a banger.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think they have.
Speaker 3: The website for LAX was down this morning because if computer system issues now again, that's Lax theflylax dot com website. If you have other problems or questions, you can always ask your airline. But the Lax website was having some problems, so if you tried to get on there.
Speaker 4: Are you singing over there?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 4: You can still hear you.
Speaker 1: Sorry, A lot going on in Washington this week with the resignation of Christopher Ray. We've got Biden going nuts when it comes to pardoning people.
Speaker 2: John Decker joins us.
Speaker 1: It's a White House correspondent, of course, a journalist, a lawyer, and the White House Press Corps probably the only one, right, I think so, John Joys correct, Very cool, John joins us, Now, a lot of action over in your neck of the woods.
Speaker 7: Yeah. Early this morning is when we got word of these more than fifteen hundred commutations of sentences that President Biden has delivered to individuals who are convicted of non violent crimes thirty nine pardons as well. Today again individuals who were convicted of non violent felonies and were serving time in prison. So a little bit of an early Christmas president for those individuals.
Speaker 3: How what's that process? How do these names get in front of the president or people who would then present them to the president that would be possible for these commutations and pardons.
Speaker 7: It's a great question, and it's a question that the White House Press Secretary did not provide any additional information on today. There is an office within the White House Council's Office that handles pardons, and there is a division within the Justice Department that handles pardons. And it really sometimes is all about who you know. And you think about the last administration, former President Donald Trump. If you knew Kim Kardashian and all sneeriousness, you could potentially get a party because of the fact that the Trump White House listened to her when she came forward and said, I have some names of individuals that are deserving on the second chance, deserving of a presidential pardon, or deserving of having their sentence commuted. So it sometimes comes all down to that. As you know, with the pardon of the President's son, Hunter Biden, that was done outside of the White House, that was done outside of the Department of Justice. That was a personal decision that was made by President Biden.
Speaker 2: Now they say that.
Speaker 1: These are nonviolent crimes, but when you get into what nonviolent crimes are, you get into things like theft, arson, robbery, things, that there are victims in these crimes.
Speaker 2: They are not victimless crimes.
Speaker 1: We never hear the details, though, of what these people have done to get incarcerated. We only hear about the good works that they've done post incarceration.
Speaker 7: Well, in the case of the pardons, the White House spelled out in the pardon information that was provided to us the exact primes that these individuals were convicted of in the first place, and the pardons are The language is very simple as it relates to those thirty nine individuals their pardon for the crimes that they were convicted of. That is very different, by the way, from the language that was used in the pardon of Hunter Biden. It was a blanket pardon, a very unusual pardon because it covered eleven full years essentially any activity Hunter Biden was involved in over this course of an eleven year period from January one, twenty fourteen, through December first of twenty twenty four he was given a pardon for by his father, the President.
Speaker 3: The other big issue that happened yesterday was this announcement that Christopher Ray, the director of the FBI, had been telling other members of the FBI that he was in fact going to step down as director before Trump comes in to be inaugurated. We knew that that was likely, or that something like that was going to happen. But what was this much of a surprise And does it change anything about what goes on with the FBI between now and the potential that Cash Pattel becomes the new director.
Speaker 7: Well, there's a deputy director of the FBI who becomes interim director for the short period of time between the time that Christopher Ray leaves his position as director of the FBI and the period in which a new director, potentially Cash Battel, is confirmed by the US Senate. It wasn't a huge surprise given the fact that in late November Donald Trump made it clear that he wanted Cash Battel, a loyalist, someone who's served in his first administration, to serve as the next FBI director. The writing was on the wall for Christopher Ray that Donald Trump did not want him serving in that role. And when you're the FBI director, you serve at the pleasure of the president. And I think that Christopherray recognized that, and that's the reason why he told those staff members at the FBI yesterday at FBI headquarters that he intends to step down before Donald Trump is sworn in as America's forty seventh president.
Speaker 2: And then the timetable for all of these confirmations. How does that work?
Speaker 7: Well, when the one hundred and nineteenth Congress is sworn in, for both the House and the Senate, they can begin that confirmation process, including hearings, so that all will take place in the first week in January when the new Senate is sworn in, and in the case of cash Gettel, his confirmation hearing, just like the hearing for President Elect Trump's pick to be the Attorney General, will take place before the Senate Judiciary Committee. So the Judiciary Comittee will handle both of their confirmation hearings, and then the full Senate would vote on their confirmations. By the way, all of that could take place before Donald Trump is sworn into office, so he could have some of his cabinet all ready to go on January twentieth, ready to carry out whatever direct is he gives them.
Speaker 3: Here's a question I've never thought of. Is there a priority list or a priority order for the Senate to go through these different nominations.
Speaker 7: Well, It's an interesting question. But what happens is various Senate committees do their confirmation process simultaneously. So, for instance, the Senate Armed Services Committee will do their confirmation process for Donald Trump's pick to be the next Defense Secretary, Pete Hegseath, at the same time that the Judiciary Committee is doing their confirmation hearing for Pam Bondi, the former Florida Attorney General, to be the next Attorney General. Wow.
Speaker 1: Okay, excellent, great, John, Thanks so much. I hope you are successful in evading that arrest.
Speaker 7: That wasn't for me.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's what they all say, John, That's what they all. We will pardon you, especially in DC.
Speaker 1: All right, we've got squirting cucumbers, We've got the age old moving, the sofa problem, a deep sea predator named Darkness.
Speaker 2: It's time for strange.
Speaker 4: Science, strange sens It's like weird science, but strange.
Speaker 1: So squirting cucumbers blast their seeds over distances hundreds of times their length, and now scientists know how the plants do it. It's a hairy green fruit measures about four centimeters long, and the it's a It's a member of the Gordon family, relative of a zucchini, squash, and pumpkins, but their seed jets are unique in the group. Why do you have your hands over your eyes just trying.
Speaker 4: To prevent everything that's about to happen.
Speaker 2: It's very rare among plants.
Speaker 1: The ancient Roman naturist Pliny the Elder, was the first to describe squirting cucumbers, warning that yeah, I can't, I mean I can't, but anyway, it's all about survival. It's related to bottom line this one.
Speaker 3: So these seeds then go and implant somewhere else and become new cucumbers. Right, it's more the complex than just a simple buildup of liquid and the release of internal pressure along with cucumber and and what, I don't think i've ever seen that word in print before?
Speaker 4: Where is it? And gorgement? Ah?
Speaker 2: Is this a joke?
Speaker 4: It might be, but it is CNN, so I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think joked us into doing that story.
Speaker 3: Mathematicians aren't usually the first point of call when you need to move a couch, But if you've ever seen that classic Friends episode where they're trying to move the couch up through the stairs.
Speaker 2: We've ever done there.
Speaker 3: The combinatorics and geometry enthusiast Genon Bake from Yonsai University in Korea just put out one hundred page proof on the problem of moving a couch around a tight corner in your apartment. A Canadian Australian mathematician formed a formalized a problem back in nineteen sixty six plaguing humanity ever since we had couches, which was basically, what's the largest two dimensional object that can successfully make it around an L shaped corner.
Speaker 1: Some people really have an eye for this that have no math skills, just have that natural eye for how to fit something in somewhere. Right, Yeah, when it comes to moving or all of it.
Speaker 3: It's very very funny because they talk about the upper limit for the design. When you look at all of this in terms of the two point two zero seven to four units in area and nothing larger than two point eight two eight now somewhere mathematicians are like, yeah, that's exactly what we've been saying for years, but that there are people who design furniture look at you, Ikea, and they know this type of formula that exists so that people do not have to take apart their furniture once they put it together. Because you know, if you take it apart, it will never go back together the way you want it.
Speaker 1: Researchers have claimed that Mary Magdalen has been hiding in Michaelangelo's sixteen Chapel masterpiece for nearly five hundred years. There's an Italian art restorer named Sarah Sarah Penco who's publishing this biblical bombshell in her book Mary Magdalene in Michelangelo's Judgment. She specializes in Renaissance and broke art. She announced, I am firmly convinced that this is Mary Magdalene. It's a figure in the right hand corner of the Last Judgment, of course, the legendary depiction of the second Coming of Christ, God's final judgment. It was painted at the Sistine Chapel between fifteen thirty seven and fifteen thirty one.
Speaker 4: Now why would this be so crazy? I mean, why is this such a She's.
Speaker 2: A controversial figure in the church.
Speaker 3: Oh, Mary Magdalen. Yeah, oh, oh, so he would have snuck it in without the blessing, without the blessing of the Vatican.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure how that all works, but anyway, She's a blonde woman seen kissing across toted by a nude man who's believed to be Jesus, well camouflaged among the other three hundred figures in the Magnum opus.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the cross bearer, that would be again this naked we believe Jesus in the director is looking in the direction of Mary Magdalene as if it is as if he is estranged from the composition, looking towards the woman peacefully holding the wood and the cross. Obviously, he knew a lot about the Bible and would not have left such an integral figure out of that scene. And again she.
Speaker 4: Later thought that the the.
Speaker 3: That when you look at it, that something might have been missing, said Michael Angelo. Angelo is an expert painter who's very cultured. He was someone who knew the dynamics of the church very well and knew the gospels. And he could not have forgotten her, but may have had a little trouble if he had asked permission to put her in. Right, he was going to apologize, you know, seven hundred years later. Right, It's not the only Easter egg hidden. New research suggests that Michael Angelo had etched a woman battle breast cancer into one of the Sistine Chapel ceiling frescoes.
Speaker 2: Hmm.
Speaker 3: And then finally this disgusting creature about seven miles beneath the surface, terrifying. The pressure down there is about one thousand atmosphere's worth sixteen thousand pounds per square inch. Despite all of that, there is something that lives down there, a ghostly predator from the Ata Kama Trench off South America's western coast. It's named doulce Bela Kamanchaka. The creature is an amphipod, a group of shrimp like crustaceans that eat detritis and scavenge for food. They said this thing, they found four individuals from this species at a depth of seven nine hundred meters.
Speaker 2: It should stay down there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a reason why they're calling it darkness, because it is an absolute view into the devil's hell.
Speaker 4: Gross, I think.
Speaker 2: I'm having a sugar come down.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio Lap