Speaker 1: You're listening to an air Wave Media podcast.
Speaker 2: The ten Million Dollars Bigfoot Bounty is over. This show has spoilers, This show has the S word. This show has the most astonishing pun I've ever managed. On Monster Talk, We've got DNA, we've got NDAs, we've got A and d's join us as we talk with doctor Todd des Hotel and Natalia Reagan about their experiences as scientists. In episode eighty four, New MT on the Bounty.
Speaker 1: It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before.
Speaker 3: A giant, hairy creature.
Speaker 4: Part eight part mats in Luckness, a twenty four mile long, bottomless lake in the Highlands of Scotland.
Speaker 5: It's a creature known as the Luckness Monster.
Speaker 3: Monster.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Monster Talk, an official podcast of Skeptic Magazine. I'm your host Blake Smith and today doctor Karen Stolslow and I will revisit the scientists who joined us back in episode seventy six, just before the premiere of the Spike TV TV show The ten Million Dollars big Foot Bounty. Doctor Todd Desottel was our very first guest on this show, and as one of the best known scientists looking at Bigfoot evidence today. He's an expert primatologist and DNA researcher who teaches it NYU that Tyier Reagan is an anthropologist and comedian as well as a science promoter. Together, they joined Dean Kan, who's perhaps most famous for his portrayal of Superman on the TV show Lewis and Clark as judges of the contestants seeking Bigfoot on the show. Will reveal the outcome of the show in this interview, So if you want to watch the eight episodes first, they're all available on Spike TV's website, and a link to that is in our show notes It Muster.
Speaker 6: Talk, do Mobsttle.
Speaker 2: We want to welcome back Todd Desotel and Italia Reagan, who recently did the ten million dollars big Foot Bounty television show.
Speaker 6: So the show's over and we would like.
Speaker 2: To talk about how they felt about the outcome, So welcome back to Monster Talk. I think the number one question I expect our listeners are wondering is do you think the science messages that you talked about trying to communicate were successfully able to survive the editing process to.
Speaker 4: A degree, not as much as obviously we would have liked, you know, for every minute of science that actually made it on the air, you know, we film, you know, minutes to our's worth, and in the final edit a lot of it was sort of dramatically reduced. So I was a little disappointed with that, but I do think we did get.
Speaker 5: Some of our main points across pretty well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like there's a fight between science and spectacle when you have any sort of reality television show. And for as much science as we filmed, there were hours, countless hours of whether it was real or generated drama between contestants that, of course the American public feasts upon. And so as much as we wanted more science to get out there, I think they did the best they could with what they could do. And that's why we produced the web series called Talking Shit with Doctor Todd Natalia, hoping to kind of get out the core messages we wanted to get out on the show, not knowing it was kind of a preemptive attempt to get the science out there, without knowing how much would make the show.
Speaker 7: Spinal cut, that's a very fitting name.
Speaker 6: We'll link to that in the show notes.
Speaker 7: Did they producers, if I say, do it at some points less science, guys, and more drama.
Speaker 5: Not to us, because I couldn't do less science.
Speaker 4: I was doing DNA analyses and Natalia was out in the field with them trying to make sure that they follow sort of the proper protocol, so there was really no way to sort of step that down.
Speaker 5: Where it came out.
Speaker 4: Was at the end of every episode, in the so called elimination.
Speaker 5: Round, where.
Speaker 4: You know, they would bring up each team, they would say something for a minute and Natalia or I and sometimes Dean would just sort of summarily dismiss them or say good work. And that's where I think a lot of the people who criticized the show seem to think that that's all we did, when in reality we did.
Speaker 5: A lot more.
Speaker 2: As much as you dealt with poop. It seems like every round was an elimination round.
Speaker 4: That's a nice one, Like, you know what, I I thought of that, Zach, Wow.
Speaker 5: Thanks, I've never done them.
Speaker 4: We had every other word and joke for it, but I never ever made the connection to the elimination.
Speaker 8: It was a real show.
Speaker 7: But yeah, he needed like there, I think as a consultant, Yeah, exactly, And it was great because they wanted to include as some humor in the elimination round.
Speaker 9: And so, you know, Todd and I would do our best to come up with any sort of jokes we would see with the samples that came in, and and and the thing is, because it's such a the elimination round, it ends up being edited down to seven minutes or so.
Speaker 1: That night. Usually we shot for maybe nine hours, and each team would bring in between five to six, sometimes even more samples. So we literally sat down and talked to them about every sample, went down and actually gave them notes and critique their elimination and great depth and detail. And at a certain point you can only say so much about you know, the poop that they brought in exactly, and it's hard to really give the qualitative notes on their bear shit.
Speaker 8: You know, they can only show so much.
Speaker 1: So we try to, you know, put in as much information as we could with each sample and hopefully include a little bit of humor, although they really white for the serious, dramatic donn dah side of the elimination.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, yeah, that's what came across. But I can't believe that nine hours down to seven minutes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I don't know if the elimination is exactly that, but it's it's not that long.
Speaker 8: But yeah, we would.
Speaker 5: We would freeze await nights. We were out there till past three in the morning.
Speaker 4: We had to wait for dark, and it would go till three in the morning. Every time the camera stopped rolling, you know, the three of us would just huddle around that.
Speaker 5: Fire pit because it was just balln on in cold. At least for Deane and I. I don't know what Natalia felt.
Speaker 8: Why just shaking in their shelves.
Speaker 2: That's That's a great lead into this question that I have. Did Dean kin did he seem unusually weak or ill during the evening shoots?
Speaker 4: There was one or two where he had some signific can allergies. Yeah, and we'd have to do a couple of retakes between sneezes.
Speaker 2: That Actually, that makes perfect sense for me because what I had heard was that his one real weakness is cryptidnight.
Speaker 7: He's been waiting to use that. Nice Another question that is on the tip of everyone's tongue is about justin.
Speaker 4: The Big One though, Did you lose track of the Big One?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've never found the Big One.
Speaker 8: Do you have any sort of samples from this specimen.
Speaker 4: Hair, blood, flesh, bones, has it been analyzed yet?
Speaker 5: Yeah? And feral human, whereas the most common result so feral human.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can't tell if the humans fharal from their DNA. Justin says he sent out a sample and it came back as faral human.
Speaker 5: There's no such thing as feral human. Pharah is just the behavior.
Speaker 4: So if Justin killed a feral human, he actually killed a human and he's committed murder.
Speaker 6: When Todd called him out on that, that was my favorite moment in the series.
Speaker 7: I think did he kill any more feral humans?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 1: During filming Justin he talks a big talk, now, doesn't he? But I see, I don't believe the thing he says.
Speaker 4: So so a point I wanted to raise is, unfortunately, having you know, been thrust headlong into this and occasionally seeing the blog posts and Facebook posts and other things, is a lot of people complained that it was a rigged show. You know, that the network had picked a priori who was going to win and who to keep and all.
Speaker 5: Of that stuff.
Speaker 4: But that's one thing, and I've posted and written about this, that is absolutely not true. Going back to the Paola scams and some of the early televised game shows where there were controversies.
Speaker 10: A whole series of laws have been passed on this because this was technically classified as a game show because you had contestants competing for prizes and they have to be fair.
Speaker 5: We would have walked away from it.
Speaker 4: I mean, why would we put our reputations online if it was gamed so to speak.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we actually had ann that was in charge of all the compliance rules. We actually had to, you know, sit down and had a meeting at the very very very first day of shooting. Everybody had to sit down and talk about this is this is a game.
Speaker 8: There are rules.
Speaker 1: You must comply with these rules and we took that very seriously. And I note that Todd and I every time we had an elimination, there was a sit down meeting between he and I and then Christine discussing, and sometimes we didn't agree and we had to really kind of have a little customer.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was a lot like grading.
Speaker 4: You know, as a professor, I have to rank the students in my class, and oftentimes you have utterly objective criteria the actual score they had on a test.
Speaker 5: But if you're in a seminar.
Speaker 4: Sometimes it gets a little more subjective where you have to say, well, these guys spoke up more and better and more logically and stuff.
Speaker 5: So but it, I mean, it really was to me like being.
Speaker 4: A teacher, you know, being a professor and grading them and when you grade somebody's at the bottom end of the curve.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean things like looking at their field work, whether they work together well as a team. My big idea that I pushed was their ability to amend any sort of theories that they had as they gained more information. If somebody was you know, digging in their heels on a theory that wasn't holding any weight and they weren't giving us any good evidence, it made it easier for us to let them go. But when you know, one of the wonderful things for me is somebody who studies field primatology is to hear them start talking like scientists talking about their hypotheses.
Speaker 8: I never thought would ever say or utter those words.
Speaker 1: You know, I think David who was a David Lauer who was like our hypothesis and he was great. They really were coming up with changing their ideas and trying new things.
Speaker 8: And for science is about innovation.
Speaker 1: It's about trying new things and if it doesn't work, try something new.
Speaker 4: Towards the end of the show, I think the H word was used as much as the S word.
Speaker 2: So tying into the concept of grading. Was there any cheating going on? Did you see anybody trying to plan evidence to pass it off as reel or anybody acting a little dodgy.
Speaker 5: I don't want to sound like Bill Clinton, but to find cheating.
Speaker 4: If you are ahead of another team and you stomp out the footprints or use your paddle and erase.
Speaker 5: The footprints, you take a sample.
Speaker 4: There's a bunch of fur on the ground, you take a sample of it, and then you start spitting on it, you know, so that it becomes contaminated.
Speaker 5: Is that cheating or are you pushing to win? Playing to win? You know? So, and we saw that on camera.
Speaker 4: I mean I didn't see that out in the field because I actually did not go out in the field during their hunts with them. Natalia went out at the beginning of the hunts and sometimes at the ends. But you know, we couldn't track all the teams all simultaneously, even though they're out there alone. There was a cameraman and a sound band exactly just a few feet away from each team.
Speaker 1: They generally played nice when I was with them, and I would go out with them actually usually for the initial test around, and I would just kind of ask them about their strategies, and they all played kind of nice while I was there.
Speaker 8: I think they knew they would get I scored in red.
Speaker 1: They didn't, but I do know seeing additional footage from the cameraman that was that were with them for all those hours out in the field, that they did, you know, try to play to win, and that sometimes that means playing a little dirty.
Speaker 4: And Natalia and I, you know, after they came back from the hunt, while the DNA analyzes were being carried out, I would basically start them. But I had a technician with me throughout the whole trip. Actually I had several technicians, and so while things were incubating or things taking a little bit of time or some of the easier steps, we Natalia and I would be in the cabin are out at a picnic table with all of the evidence that they brought in, plus footage and all the pictures that yes, they took. So we spent hours a day going you know, basically, from you know, mid morning until nine at night, we were going through the evidence, you know, almost a whole day long, and they would pull up, well, here's the cameraman for this team, here's you know. So I would look at this tooth and say, well, this looks like it's from a deer, and they were swearing, oh, no, it's from this, And then the cameraman recorded them taking a deer jaw on, breaking it to pull a tooth out. Yeah, so yeah, gotchya again. Is that cheating or playing to win? I mean, that's I'm sure that's expected in any kind of game show, even if it's just trying to psych out your opponents. But they could physically try to do stuff as well, to reduce the evidence out there for other people, or to make theirs look better whatever.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and we did. I mean it was kind of nice. It was.
Speaker 1: We really were kind of building our cases for them and our question and we you know, we came up with usually a series of eight questions per team, if not more, trying to get to the bottom of why they brought in these samples, what about them made them think it was was bigfoot? We gauge their answers and that helped us decide whether or not they were going to stay or go.
Speaker 8: They had to defend themselves just like you would defend a dissertation.
Speaker 4: I was basically working with eighteen people who probably wouldn't be grad students under my supervision, maybe Michael Merchant.
Speaker 7: But speaking of evidence, was there any solution to that bigfoot that was caught on the fleet camera that the two didn't go chasing.
Speaker 4: After one early in the season, They didn't follow up on it and nothing was seen there. Later in the season they claimed they had, you know, the best best footage since Patterson Gimlin and it was another team's cameraman or soundman. And we know that actually taking a leak probably you know, taking a.
Speaker 5: Dump feet behind the rest of the team. That's why it was an individual.
Speaker 4: But the early one, I don't think we have a clue as to what it was. But it was also just fuzzier than well, it was typical.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's hard to have scale when it's night vision two if there's not something.
Speaker 4: Fle I mean, it's it's cool, but you're never going to get.
Speaker 5: Decent positive id.
Speaker 4: Off of Fleaer at night unless it's a camera trap and they're like three feet away from it.
Speaker 7: It looks good on TV either, right, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 8: Very dramatic.
Speaker 4: I actually learned a lot on this series myself and in fact our our use of environmental DNA, the stuff from insects and other stuff I had never done before in my own research, and we've now incorporated that into our research, in fact taking it even further and submitting several grants using even more sophisticated technologies, next generation sequencing technologies and so on, to do all sorts of neat stuff with environmental DNA to actually scan the environment for all of the organisms that are out there. I probably would have eventually come around to that in my research, but this show really prompted me to really think about it more and talking in my lab meetings where like, hey, we could do this in this different context. I actually learned and gained something from the show.
Speaker 7: It's pretty cool, it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I learned a great joke because I'm a field primatologist, so most of my time has been spent in the field, and so I got to get a lot of hands on lab experience. And then also, I mean, the environmental DNA is something that I work in conservation and that can be extremely effective in an area where it's hard to find a specific individual group of individuals, and you can do kind of an ecological survey without ever having to see them if you're using mosquitos or any sort of inviting insects. And it was great, honestly, as somebody wh would go out and watch the teams. I love watching Dave and Dan go out and use themselves as bait while catching leeches.
Speaker 8: That to me was amazing tenacity.
Speaker 4: And we got horse DNA out of one of the leeches that blatched on to David. They snapped it off before it drew blood on him, and when we tested that sample, clearly a horse had walked through that swamp not too long before and had a leech bite it and fall off and it went after something equally big.
Speaker 5: Yeah, sorry, Dave.
Speaker 7: I wonder if they're going to be listening into this, I hope So, Hello.
Speaker 2: So do you have any idea what the sounds were that got one of the cast members to say, that's a big.
Speaker 6: Football right there.
Speaker 8: Sound alone?
Speaker 6: Well, hey, you don't talk about them that way. They're nice people.
Speaker 5: Well, I was gonna say that there's a double meaning there. It could be alone, or.
Speaker 4: You also have to remember, I mean one of the one of the banes of all these guys looking for Bigfoot is hoaxing. So even if it wasn't another team member, we weren't in the middle of Epps Well, we were in the middle of absolutely nowhere, but there were other people around. And I know if I was a seventeen year old kid and I knew there was a film company filming a Bigfoot show in my region, I would be out there every night screwing around with them. You hear that sound, and is it a natural animal?
Speaker 5: Is it a human doing it?
Speaker 4: If it's human, is it even the cast and the crew, I mean they're human as well. Could a PA out there around and around?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think that was during the Yeah, that was during the finale, and I know that Michael and Kat had I think it was them who had done that. And they are those SAP people who heard the sound. So the guy in front desk at this at this park knew that there are people that are looking for Bigfoot. So who knows?
Speaker 7: I having some fun with them exactly?
Speaker 8: Why not? I was on TV?
Speaker 7: Yeah, hear me, Well, you guys were talking about baiting Bigfoot a bit earlier, and one of the weirdest parts of the show for me was when one of the teams said that they were using chimp and human menstrual wafers to try and find Bigfoot. So what was that about?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I have no idea where that comes from?
Speaker 5: Is all? So here I can.
Speaker 4: Use the age word and hypothesize it's it's at least folklore that, for instance, fairs are attracted to peanut butter and menstruating women, So don't go camping with peanut butter sandwiches and a menstruating woman. And I can only hypothesize that that got transferred, if.
Speaker 5: You will, to sort of the Bigfoot world. Yeah, I don't know how.
Speaker 4: It's not really a testable hypothesis, but it's just something. And maybe next time I see the guys, i'll or talk to them. I'll ask them where did you get that idea from?
Speaker 1: Well, it's funny because they say that human men are attracted to women, making me sense it that they're ovulating, not men's streat Usually it's quite the opposite of it. And let us bleed for six days and then they'll let us come out and talk to them.
Speaker 8: And fraternize. But yeah, I guess there's that idea that that bigfoot think at.
Speaker 1: Yeah. At one point, the delightful Stacey Brown said he would tear down a female sasquatch if presented before him. So because sasquatch is considered such a close relative to anatomically modern humans, I guess it would maybe be attracted to our own species, and vice versa in the case of Stacy.
Speaker 8: So maybe that was that's their thinking.
Speaker 6: Well, we can't say this bait doesn't work period.
Speaker 8: Isn't there another scene?
Speaker 6: I have been limited.
Speaker 7: They're on top.
Speaker 1: There's different cycles in which these these bait periods work.
Speaker 7: So wasn't there another scene where a couple of the guys were following the females because they thought at some point they're going to be on the rag.
Speaker 5: Yeah they were.
Speaker 4: My favorite line was it's too bad they weren't ragging.
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh, you know nothing of the.
Speaker 8: Capital K Show. And I think my mother just about dies at that point.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Well, so what did you guys actually like best about the experience and what did you not like?
Speaker 6: What means like just pros and cons.
Speaker 4: Well, just from the physical experience, I had never been in.
Speaker 5: Just such beautiful territory.
Speaker 4: I mean to wake up in the morning and go running for a while with Mount Adams off your right shoulder, Mount Hood off your left shoulder, having elk and bobcat and coyotes bound across the dirt road in front of you while you're running, hearing the stuff at night and smelling pine and the ganja. It just physically stunning, stunning environment.
Speaker 5: The crew were really great and hard working. I mean we worked hard.
Speaker 4: I mean it was pretty darn ruling work on top of all of the other stuff, but really bonded with a lot of people throughout, and even the people we were renting from. Our cooks, wonderful cooks, all of that stuff, so that was great.
Speaker 8: Todd covered most of what I loved, but yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: It was a gorgeous region of the United States that I've never really spent any time in the Pacific Northwest, and so being able to we both are runners.
Speaker 8: He runs.
Speaker 1: He wakes up earlier than I do, so he would run the early route, I'd run the later. Out there was a neighboring Outpaka farm. I spent a lot of time talking to these indifferent alpacas that seem to enjoy ignoring me rather than engaging in my conversation, pretty much by myself, and just yeah, getting to know so many people in a way because you're working hard with them when you're when stress levels are high. On these shows, it's really nice to work with a team of people that really know how to pull together and form the sort of camaraderie. I grew up in the film industry, so I've always appreciated film shoots, and it was I never really been on location for thirty days. I've done location shoots, but never like that. So there comes a point where you feel like family and you.
Speaker 8: Leave and you miss them like you would miss family.
Speaker 1: You sometimes get annoyed like you would with family, but at them at the end of the day, it felt I liken it to summer camp, but very hard summer camp, because we worked our keysters off, like like Todd said, And this for me the science, like I said, I wasn't a lab person, so for me to be able to be a part of something like that, I felt like I was learning so much, but also teaching contestants that might never take a class like this. So yeah, it was all around an exceptional experience with.
Speaker 4: Some of the drama and the fighting and bickering.
Speaker 5: That got to me a bit.
Speaker 4: It's like, I don't have that really that much with like my graduate students. Obviously they work together and they're not really directly competing.
Speaker 5: With each other.
Speaker 4: But it was kind of like teaching a large class of premads where they had to beat the other guy out because they were competing for real tangible stuff, not just an a ar. And as they were competing for a ten million dollars or one hundred thousand dollars, that's that's a real deal, and that can bring out a little bit of ugliness and people, and so that was tough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was there were moments when the stress level got a little high, and sometimes you know, I hated seeing them fight with one another, but I also I really loved how they cooperated almost more than competed with one of each other. I like pointing that out that they really did cooperate oftentimes far more than they fought with one another.
Speaker 8: A really tough thing for me because they made me.
Speaker 1: If you watch the show Folks at Home an elimination round, I was the person that had to go to the cabin and call the teams back, which I hated.
Speaker 8: And the directories.
Speaker 1: You know, look at me and say no more tears, because it really was tough because, like I said, we grew to love these people like family. Even though you might not agree. I'm you know, I'm kind of the tree hugging hippie. I'm not a hunter, but I don't care. These people were in many ways wonderful, and it was very tough to send them to the fire where I knew one of them one of those teams is going home.
Speaker 8: So judging was very tough.
Speaker 1: And also judging DNA and making choices based on what the evidence they brought in based on what was available to them was tough. Was very hard, and doctor Todd and I really had to kind of back go back and forth and really make some tough decisions.
Speaker 8: And sending people home knowing that this was their dream was very difficult.
Speaker 4: Given that nobody brought the gold and turred in, it was sort of who did least poorly? Yeah that sometimes when not one team brings in real evidence of Bigfoot, how do you judging what's the worst effort?
Speaker 5: Yeah, is tough.
Speaker 4: It's like there's no a's It's like these are all d's and f's, which is the worst f.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, if you could have what would you have changed? If you guys had been the producers of the show.
Speaker 1: As somebody who studies primates, I would have loved to have gone to a primate center because a lot of these contestants thought that Bigfoot was indeed a descendant of ancestral primate.
Speaker 8: Most of them thought gigantipithecus.
Speaker 1: But going to a primate center and allowing them to watch how primates move because they had all these theories about their locomotion, and to just show them how they move and how what they eat and just kind of understand primates a little bit better. I thought that would have been such an awesome opportunity. And there is the organ primate center that would have been a great I think. I think it also would have been a great opportunity for comedy. Monkeys do monkeys and apes do funny things, and I would love to have heard their commentary, the contestants commentary as they watched them do those funny.
Speaker 4: Things, especially when monkeys and apes were throwing shit at them.
Speaker 7: And as long as you kept justin away from them as well, Yeah, yeah, just.
Speaker 8: Away from everything.
Speaker 4: I would have liked to be able to show them a little more detail of how the DNA analyses worked, how we actually obviously I can't give them a lecture on the plymerase.
Speaker 5: Chain reaction or PCR, but I would have liked to try.
Speaker 4: And I mean I did it to ten to sixteen year olds last week at the World Science Festival here in New York. I think the American television public would be up to that, and then just show them here's actually what a DNA signature in this case looks like, and here's the database we're comparing it to.
Speaker 5: I would have liked to show a little bit.
Speaker 4: More of the sort of nitty gritty of it, just so that they, again would better understand it, because I did get a lot again on the interwebs and stuff like that. I would get comments about, well, you said it was human DNA, Well what if Bigfoot is a human? So well, if it's human, it's a human. You know, I'm trying to explain that is it's hard to explain. So I would have liked to be able to delve a little bit more into the precise nature of the kind of analysis that my technicians and I carried out to even less doubt about the results in the arbitrariature and so on.
Speaker 5: If we could have shown that level of depth and detail.
Speaker 4: I mean, again, this is for a large lay public, so one has to do it properly.
Speaker 5: But I think I have a lot.
Speaker 4: Of experience doing that, and I think again, if I was producer editor, I think I would have taken a bigger shot at that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wouldn't have loved to have sat down with all the teams and had them each tell me exactly what their theory is going into it. Where is bigfoot, what does it look like, what is this locomotion, what does its diet? What is its reproductive strategy, and really kind of come up with a composite And I think you even better have each team's idea and be drawn out and a picture, and so we could literally look at what each team's idea of Bigfoot looks like, and then we can talk about human variation, just to get and also to get a really good idea before we walk into this competition what they're thinking, because we kind of came in it really.
Speaker 8: Cold, not knowing what each team thought.
Speaker 1: You know, little bits and pieces here and there, but being that we were the judges, we couldn't speak to them so much about what their theories were because we were not funny predicament of being judges and their contestants in the time that we weren't shooting the show, we weren't really allowed to talk about their ideas too much.
Speaker 8: It would have been, really, I think, an awesome opportunity.
Speaker 1: For us to hear what they think and get an idea of what this individual or this new species looks like and.
Speaker 4: What I would have liked to then see, you know again, the professor and me coming out sort of an exit interview with each of them.
Speaker 5: You know, how did their.
Speaker 4: Views change, if they changed at all? You know, from what they learned on the show, both either from Natalia or I or from the other contestants.
Speaker 5: Do they now have.
Speaker 4: A different vision, a different picture of Bigfoot after having gone through the show and been exposed to this stuff. So did they learn? Would to me have also been an interesting thing.
Speaker 8: It also would have been nice if there were no eliminations. Honestly, it would have.
Speaker 1: Been really nice had there just been an expedition. I think the elimination wasn't necessary because I.
Speaker 7: Think reality TV for you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's the formula.
Speaker 8: Actually it's changing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, eliminations are not working as well as they used to, and so that's why I think it would have been even better if they were only eliminated if need be, because it took away from other drama that I think could have been more entertaining.
Speaker 8: Because trust me, they could.
Speaker 1: They could definitely create their own drama when given the opportunity.
Speaker 5: So TDD.
Speaker 2: I think when we talked last time, you mentioned you had talked to Lloyd's of London about the odds on this. Yeah, do you know what they actually gave I mean, obviously the well, I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't think they ever put uh, you know, despite being British and loving to put odds on beds, I don't think they ever put a number on it. I like to say that it's not zero, but it's it's in the near vicinity of it, adjacent to it, in the vicinity.
Speaker 5: Of it, but not zero.
Speaker 4: Obviously, they were pretty confident that they weren't going to have to lay out the ten million, and we're thus willing to do it.
Speaker 5: This is rumsfeld unknown.
Speaker 4: Unknowns, too many unknown numbers to go into that particular equation.
Speaker 7: And you guys were talking about the contestants changing over the course of the show. Were there any contestants who seem to have their faith in Bigfoot shaken at any point?
Speaker 8: No, No, I am not.
Speaker 5: I don't think so.
Speaker 4: I think the true believers coming in never changed. I think some of the bigger skeptics, the professional hunters and photographers. Maybe one or two of those teams became more open to the idea. But I think some of the teams never really bought into the story, you know, of the hunters and photographers rather than the so called squatchers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I definitely think that maybe, you know, I know that Sheeny and Kristen came in as hunters and they actually gravitated a lot towards you know, Stacy and Dave in their theories and seemed to kind of pick up on that.
Speaker 8: I don't know if necessarily deep.
Speaker 1: Down they believe more or if they just you know, for camera, we're going to believe more because I mean again that that's what that's what the show wants, and and you know, that's what you have to sometimes give.
Speaker 8: To get in the show.
Speaker 1: But they they did, you know, when they came to elimination rounds, they talked like they believed in the beginning, they kind of didn't know, you know, jack about about Bigfoot or sasquatch theory, and and you know, by the time they left, which they stayed really late in the game, which I was super proud of them for doing. They stepped up their game quite a bit by by sticking with those boys, and you know, and really putting it out there and and I guess being open to the idea they played the game.
Speaker 2: Well, did you guys track any of the forgive me, I didn't even mean that one.
Speaker 6: Did you guys find follow any of the stuff that was going on with Rick.
Speaker 2: Dyer, the perpetual Bigfoot hoaxer simultaneous to this show?
Speaker 4: Yes, Yeah, Unfortunately there are the two big stories out there in the wider community, were dire and catch them?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I followed ire.
Speaker 4: I read Lee Spiegel and the Huffington Posts weird news columns very very frequently. He's interviewed me on some of the stuff, and so, yeah, I was aware and skeptical. I mean, it's a known fraudster guy who's been multiply charged with all sorts of fraudulent stuff, and so and the picture Hank, It was ridiculous.
Speaker 8: It looked like one of those they call those little treasure trolls.
Speaker 1: From Yes, Yeah, yeah, whatever. It just looked like a giant version of treasure troll.
Speaker 4: So I never bought into it in a minute. And the more he hemmed and hot about well, I've sent it out for DNA testing, and then oh, but I have a non disclosure agreement with the university that's doing As soon as you start covering up, oh you know, we can't tell you why or who or what.
Speaker 5: You just it died.
Speaker 4: Then I mean I never bought it in the first place, but when he was talking about the DNA and results will be out next week, but I have an NDA with the university, so we can't say who.
Speaker 5: Right then I knew for sure it was a hoax.
Speaker 2: Or do you know if did he apply to your show or was that just him trying to get free publicity?
Speaker 4: We had nothing to do with the casting whatsoever?
Speaker 6: Gotcha?
Speaker 4: So I have no knowledge of that. Unfortunately or fortunately.
Speaker 5: Gold spoiler alert before you say things like that.
Speaker 7: So the the ten million dollars, obviously it wasn't awarded, but Stacy and Dave won the competition, so they received one hundred dollars and that was supposed to go towards researching Bigfoot. So have you guys got any idea of how that's going.
Speaker 4: The guys who won, they have their own sort of organization. They hire themselves out and people pay them to spend the weekend running around looking for Bigfoot. And so they've they're continue I know they're continuing to do that. They're having a conference on the so called Florida Skunk ca Ape I believe in September.
Speaker 5: One of them was just out on the West coast at.
Speaker 4: The Hops and Squatch Hopsquatch conference. I think it's your drink beer and go looking for a squatch. Not sure, so I know they're still fully in the game.
Speaker 6: I think I prefer sascotch.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Actually, Notre Dame, we have both Todd and I both have friends at Notre Dame University, and they had a squatch and squatchart, a squatch and Scotch party for the opening night of Bigfoot Bounty, which both of us were regretfully could not be there, but we.
Speaker 4: Were at a pub in Manhattan actually doing the same thing exactly.
Speaker 8: We did have some scotch for squatch nice.
Speaker 6: We have a fan question.
Speaker 2: Has the loss of the Mohawks shaken Natalia's trust in Doctor Todd's skills.
Speaker 1: I actually when he picked me up from the airport, I didn't recognize him. When I did realize it was doctor Todd, I wept openly.
Speaker 8: It was a sad moment. I don't know who he is anymore.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: He made me coffee this morning, and I afraid to drink it. I didn't know what he'd put in it. No, I I I still trust him, but you know, he kind of was like Samson and and that was his that was his strength, you know.
Speaker 8: So yeah, yeah, he definitely I have to say this. He definitely has a height.
Speaker 1: When he puts on a hot he has a Heisenberg Walter White effect going on, you know. So at least I know where to get my my street math from right.
Speaker 8: Here next to me. Are there other.
Speaker 6: Biologists with mohawks that you know of?
Speaker 5: Michael Merchant.
Speaker 8: Yeah, he's a biologist.
Speaker 4: I was.
Speaker 6: He's a biologist.
Speaker 5: He's he's a wildlife biologist.
Speaker 4: He actually has a degree in biology and he has worked on and off. I don't know if he's currently working, but he has worked for you know, the wildlife department in Maine. Yeah, so he's a he's a bona fide wildlife biologist.
Speaker 5: A degree in it. So I did not know of him or anything.
Speaker 4: And so that first day when we walked out, and I mean, and we're both like within a year of each other in age and stuff.
Speaker 8: It's just freaky looking at a mirror.
Speaker 4: As I would talk to friends and family, I would always sort of jokingly refer to that crazy guy with the mohawk, the other one from me.
Speaker 7: So, what happened to your mohawk? Then?
Speaker 4: It just took too much work. You know, you have to shave in front of a mirror. You got to go to a barber to get it tweet. I can do it now just in the shower without looking and not worry about product and any of that stuff. So figure into your fifties, eventually you gotta grow up a little bit, not too much, definitely.
Speaker 5: All right, Well.
Speaker 2: That's all we've got you guys, have anything else you want to say about the show that we didn't touch on that you want to get out to the listeners.
Speaker 5: We had a great time doing it.
Speaker 4: We could see how to do it differently, but we are appreciative.
Speaker 5: Of having the opportunity to have done it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: It was a first of all, if you were a fan and you watch it, thank you, because I don't even think my family watched it. Again, enjoy them, Oh, thank you, But that more than anything, we love doing the science.
Speaker 8: We really appreciated being able to work with.
Speaker 1: Individuals that might not have the opportunity to take any sort of genetic classes or understand primate behavior or morphology, and to work with them. And so it was an excellent opportunity to do science and a beautiful location with wonderful people, and I had honestly the time of my life. I've had a wonderful time. So I hope it translated on screen. They made me uberstone. By the way, I'm not as serious as I am on that show. I think they edited everything.
Speaker 8: I do. I do laugh and smile on occasion.
Speaker 5: I do have a tough time smiling.
Speaker 4: And that was That was one of the drinking games that my friends had is and.
Speaker 5: Nobody ever got drunk.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's pretty funny. All right, Well, thanks thanks for joining us and giving us a follow up on the show, and we'll put a link to your videos.
Speaker 4: Thank you for the opportunity, and uh just keep up the great work.
Speaker 6: You too, all right, see you guys later.
Speaker 2: Most thanks for listening to another episode of Monster Talk.
Speaker 6: I'm Blake Smith and.
Speaker 2: You just heard me and doctor Karen stoles Know interviewing doctor Todd dis Hotel and Natalia Reagan about their experience is working on Spike TV's ten million dollars big Foot Bounty. Monster Talk is an official podcast of Skeptic Magazine. The opinion is expressed on this show or those are the hosts and the guests, and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Skeptic Society or Skeptic Magazine. If you would like to know their opinion, why not drop by your local magazine vendor and ask for a copy of Skeptic Magazine, or go to skeptic dot com and have a look around. Their opinion has to be out there somewhere and maybe you'll be the first to find it. I'm sad to report that the cruise we'd planned for October will not be taking place, but I hope to revisit the idea in twenty fifteen, so if that's up your alley, please stay tuned. Monster Talk theme music is by peach stealing monkeys. Thanks for listening.
Speaker 11: Hungry for more skepticism.
Speaker 3: Want to learn the truth about the scientific controversies of our time, then subscribe to Skeptic, the quarterly magazine Stephen J. Gould called the best journal in the field. To subscribe visit skeptic dot com today just.
Speaker 4: That uh you know, uh you know, uh uh you know.
Speaker 8: I hope you know.
Speaker 4: I can do it now, just in the shower without looking, and not worry about product