Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI A M six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. I mentioned mixtape Monday and things that we can't even talk about because they're so exciting. One of those things is involving Kiss and what Kiss has planned, and you kind of won't believe it in terms of what Kiss has planned when they return to the stage later this year.
Speaker 2: You know Kiss, right, I know Kiss?
Speaker 1: Yes, the makeup, the hair, the boo, pageantry, pageantry.
Speaker 2: Yes. Can you imagine a concert Sands without that stuff? Why you'll have to listen to mixtape Monday? Boy? What else is going on? Time for what's happening?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: You heard it here first?
Speaker 4: Wow, this is wack.
Speaker 2: I'm hot because the temperature is hot.
Speaker 1: I'm hot because I'm pissed ABS News for saying this in their news item for it going to be in the eighties potentially.
Speaker 2: Tips for dealing with the heat hydrate hydrate, make it stop. Drink before you are thirsty.
Speaker 1: Take frequent breaks in air conditioning or shade, wear light clothing.
Speaker 2: Oh my Lanta, look directly at the sun.
Speaker 5: If you're cold, take your clothes off and lay on the hot assht tan your asphalt.
Speaker 1: What earth, isn't that a thing for self care? To sun sunlight in your in your back end. Isn't that a whole thing? Yeah, but I don't say it's good for you. Yeah, what you do?
Speaker 2: You should just go outside. You've got a backyard perfect for ass sunning in the summer times.
Speaker 5: Just got you got women on your tomorrow's stretch warm. By Thursday, we'll see high temperatures of about sixty four sixty five degrees.
Speaker 1: I just remember we have visitors coming in, so I should probably xnay on the whole ass sunning a.
Speaker 5: Southwest Airlines is cutting jobs at four airports in the United States, including two here in southern California.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I hope it's not my bar. Staff at Burbank could be.
Speaker 5: Job cuts begin in June at Lax at Burbank at Normanetta International up in San Jose.
Speaker 1: Money and Jane, they said, and the woman whose name I never remember.
Speaker 2: Officials said employees would be able to apply for jobs at other airports or take severance packages. Makes a double when you really only asked for a single.
Speaker 5: Southwest had to announce it was laying off fifteen percent of its corporate workforce to reduce overhead costs. In total, they say about seventeen hundred and fifty jobs effected.
Speaker 1: There was a sea lion that got a little BiDi off the Oxnard coast.
Speaker 2: He was sick. Yeah, that's what happens.
Speaker 1: When animals are sick, they don't react the same way that they usually do. Look at this surfer who was bitten by the sick sea lion. It looks like Shaka is.
Speaker 2: He's willing to forgive.
Speaker 1: He is, he has a forgiving face. Well, surfers are usually a peaceful people, aren't they.
Speaker 5: For a while now, beach goers have been warned about this toxic algae outbreak that affects marine life. More than fifty sea lions got sick after they ingested demoic acid over in Malibu. Demoic acid is an algal bloom resulting from a single cell organism called pseudo nietzschia. When toxic, demoic acid can cause brain and heart damage, even in low doses.
Speaker 1: Do you have any sort of weird not I don't want to call it a fantasy or a day dream or a night dream even, but just some sort of idea in your head where someone tries to break into your house and you are a superhero, not like you know, Kevin and Home alone micromachine type espionage, but like you can contain the situation, keep your family safe with guns or weapons or numb chucks or.
Speaker 2: Do I get to have the gun?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have all the stuff in your home and you're keeping your family safe. Some three guys try to break into your house and you freaking save the day.
Speaker 2: Yes, you have that dream totally.
Speaker 1: I think everybody does, right, or every dude.
Speaker 2: I think that comes yeah, with the territory probably why I was just no.
Speaker 1: There was just a story about three people breaking into a home in Woodland Hills, tied up one of the victims and took off with a safe. And every time I read one of these stories, I think to myself, wouldn't it be cool if the story was like, and I know, you shouldn't do this because you're putting yourself in danger, right, that's what they tell you, and they're right, but I want it to end sometimes with and then the homeowners took over and they tied up the robbers and you.
Speaker 5: Know something hinky about this story though? They said that the robbers made off with a safe. The victims said they do not where I call what was inside the safe.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's the inside job with drugs and or hot items. This is why I'm hot. This is why I'm hot, is what the items in the safe are saying. I don't know if that's exactly what they're saying, but they might be I was stolen off a truck, or I was earned through a drug deal.
Speaker 2: Fourteen people died fill.
Speaker 5: Ill gotten gains the perhaps contents of that safe, if I were to guess, because if I have a safe, I know what's in it.
Speaker 1: Right usually, although like when my mother in law died, I remember my father in law trying to get into a safe deposit box at a bank, and he needed like a death certificate and the whole thing, and different ridiculous hoops you had to jump through to getting into your dead wife's safe deposit box. But anyway, it had all these things needed to be produced, and he had no idea what was inside.
Speaker 2: Well, that'd be a nice little treasure hunt.
Speaker 1: No clue, and there was really nothing in there. It was like a family heirloom something and a piece of paper. So I don't remember what was in it either, but it.
Speaker 2: Wasn't like gold bullyon or anything like that. What's gold bullyon leg You make soup out of it.
Speaker 5: There's a new map County Health Rankings and road Maps report from the University of Wisconsin's Population Health Institute, and it says about one in six adults are considered binge drinkers. For a newly released annual report, in some states and counties, even larger portion of the population may be prone to excessive drinking. Researchers found generally positive that in the state of Wisconsin, for example, they have dropped in the ratings twenty four percent self report as excessive drinkers, down from the previous year's report. Montana had the highest rate of self reported excessive drinking, filling out the top five DC, Iowa, North Dakota, all of them tied at twenty five percent. We actually went up. California climbed from seventeen percent up to twenty percent.
Speaker 2: I found this was interesting.
Speaker 1: They classify heavy drinking as eight drinks a week for women, fifteen for men whoa but eight for women you're a heavy drinker. That seems really low to me, Like if you have a glass of wine with dinner every night. You're already you're a heavy drinker because you'll probably have two one day.
Speaker 2: That makes you a heavy drink. Like that's insane.
Speaker 1: If that's heavy drinking, I mean I shouldn't have a freaking pulse.
Speaker 5: Well, your liver still works for now?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 2: Maybe?
Speaker 1: Yeah, a big But I'm still not drinking because of Jesus.
Speaker 2: This time that you started long before relent, I know, but I rolled it over.
Speaker 5: God, let it ride, baby, let it ride?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 5: Your shot had a chance to pick up free Philly cheese steaks.
Speaker 1: Is yes, yes, do we have a guest here today? And it's Bob Levy for Philly Philly's Best Cheese Steak.
Speaker 2: Excuse me?
Speaker 1: And Philly's Best Cheese Steaks is here visiting us because well today happens to be National Cheesecake Cheesecake?
Speaker 2: What's wrong with me? Why can't I speak? You know what?
Speaker 1: You put a bunch of cheese steaks in front of me, and I just lose all ability to compute anything.
Speaker 5: Bob, Happy National cheese Steak Day?
Speaker 1: Ye gosh, but I mean every day really is good for a cheese steak.
Speaker 6: You can't go wrong. One of the best sandwiches out there.
Speaker 2: It's really good. When we went to Philadelphi, how long ago was that five hundred years, eight years, eight years ago, eight years ago. More than that, it was twenty eight years ago, twenty sixteen. That's nine years ago. Oh, I know, but we don't count yet. All right, we're idiots, it's the point anyway. We so we were told.
Speaker 1: We went to Philadelphia, Oh, you got to go here, you gotta.
Speaker 2: Go here, you gotta go here. Now we found that we liked them all.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's good, but that's we're from California, so we don't have the you know, the the refined palette.
Speaker 2: When it comes names, Nate and Owl's are coming back to me?
Speaker 6: Is that Pats?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: Whose else Nate?
Speaker 7: Now?
Speaker 5: Nate and now were the security guys that we saw at oh the mobs?
Speaker 8: Yeah guys right, you know, that's the birthplace of the Philadelphia cheese steak. So wherever you go, they're all great. You know, some are better than others, but you cannot be Philly's best cheese steak.
Speaker 6: Here in California, we are down the best.
Speaker 5: I know you're trying. I know you're trying to hide your Orange County accent. But you're not from here.
Speaker 6: Are you.
Speaker 8: No, I'm from Northeast Philadelphia and everything we sell comes from Philadelphia. I sell Philadelphia. I love Philadelphia. You want to talk about Philly, Come see where in Northeast Philadelphia off the Cottman in the boulevard. Okay, because people listen and I'll want to.
Speaker 2: Know specifically, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 8: And my wife's from mount Airy, so all you mount Airy and North Philadelphia fans come see us especially, you know, we'd love to talk about her neighborhood.
Speaker 2: When did you move out here?
Speaker 8: About thirty three and a half years ago? Thirty four years ago? You and the wife, Yes, just open up.
Speaker 2: Philly's best. That's the entire reason you came out.
Speaker 8: That's exactly right. We just needed change. And she said, okay, I'll give you five years.
Speaker 6: I said, okay, we could do that. Well, thirty three and a half years later, that's great.
Speaker 1: So I'm always fascinated about how these things get started, because obviously you're a success story.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 1: So you're in Philadelphia, Northeast Philadelphia, you have this new wife and you guys are getting started, and you think to yourself, what where can we take this cheese steak deliciousness, and.
Speaker 8: Yeah, let's go to California. Because I was stationed at here in thirty Street station down in San Diego and there was no cheese steaks out here at all.
Speaker 6: The food was pretty awful then.
Speaker 8: So I was working at my uncle's cheese steak shop in Juniata Park in Philadelphia, and I said to his suppliers, Hey, I want to bring this stuff out in California. What do you think? Yeah, we could do it, no problem. And just one thing led to another, and it decided that we just started to ship it all out ourselves. We found one store in Fountain Valley, California that we converted to a cheese steak place and the rest is history.
Speaker 2: So that was the first location.
Speaker 8: First location, and now we have twenty and we franchised, and we got it from San Clemente, the Burbank, Casino, Riverside area, Inland Empire, you name it. We're trying to get all points around here in southern cal.
Speaker 1: What does your wife say now after so many years after she said, I'll give you five years to make this dream come true.
Speaker 2: And then we pull the plug on it.
Speaker 8: When we go back to visit. She goes, Oh, I can't wait to get back to California.
Speaker 9: Oh.
Speaker 8: Really a way, if you see family for so long as the ooka, it's time to ask.
Speaker 2: That's true about forty eight hours.
Speaker 8: It's like fish, We go back quite a bit because all of our suppliers are there, so we're always there, you know, doing business or whatever. So we still have a very good connection. Like we have not spent the holidays here, we always go back east, so you know, we just have that neighborhood feeling.
Speaker 5: Sure, it's different, and I appreciate that in people from the East Coast. I think they they take holidays a little bit more seriously than we do in California and always have most definitely, you know, for us, people go to Palm Springs or they go they don't necessarily want to spend it with family back in the neighborhood the way that people from the East Coast do.
Speaker 6: That's exactly right.
Speaker 8: What we try to do at all our steak shops is to give that neighborhood feeling. You know, so you can go to eat Phillies beest dot com and you can find one near you. And so when you step into that sandwich shop. We want to transport you to a sandwich shop in Philadelphia. You know, we give you a we ask for your name instead of giving you a number.
Speaker 6: So try to get that connection.
Speaker 1: There are other cheese steak places now all that have popped up in California.
Speaker 6: They like to duplicate um they do.
Speaker 2: What makes you the best?
Speaker 8: Well, first of all, being from Philadelphia, and when I was a kid, I used to make these. I always made them. So we make them exactly the way we do in Philadelphia. So we bring in our special marinated steak. We bring it Italian rolls in from a good Italian family back in Philadelphia. We top with white American cheese. We do the youngins just right. It's on a flat top grill. So when you come in, you hear to chopping, dispatulism, this and that. It's just like going to your favorite cheese steak place in Philly, like just like the ones you tried before. So you put all that together and you get one beautiful same.
Speaker 5: The steak itself. Where you've got to source that beef from back East, we do.
Speaker 8: We source it from back East. It's our own proprietary you know, marinate. So we don't use oil on a grill or anything like that. It just has a nice natural marinate to it. We chop it really nice and fine, and if you want, you could have sweet peppers and mushrooms, whatever you want. Some places in different neighborhoods like to mix their onions in, or they may sometimes put ketchup.
Speaker 1: On onion in the same way I say, I know, but you're not from Philly. I sat onion my whole life and it was only till this show that people called me out on it.
Speaker 8: Now one thing too, since you're talking about onion, I don't know. But once you're talking about onions, when you go into the cheese steak place, you say, give me a cheese with or a cheese without.
Speaker 6: That means onions with onions or without.
Speaker 5: This may be a better indicator of, you know, your true parentage.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: Maybe I shouldn't. Maybe the biological fathers from Philadelphia.
Speaker 5: Not just the the steak itself coming from back East. You got a bunch of Philly brands we do. Everything we sell is pretty much from Philadelphia. We have Philadelphia sodas like Pennsylvania Dutch Birch beer, Hank's sodas. We have Hers potato chips, we have Tasty cakes. So whatever you want from Philadelphia, we have it.
Speaker 2: I am now starving. It's now official.
Speaker 5: Bob Levy from Philly's Best Cheese Steaks continue, we wish you best to continued the.
Speaker 2: Good soda with the cheese steak. It's very key.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you have a black cherry wish yak, and then after that you have a butterscotch crimpet.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it's unbelievable.
Speaker 9: Bob.
Speaker 8: There's one here, yes, one, and Birdmancnsino to eat Phillies Best dot com.
Speaker 6: You will get one real near you.
Speaker 2: There are twenty, yes, there are twenty, okay.
Speaker 8: And we're looking to expand more. You know, we want to spread out that great Philly cheese steak feeling across.
Speaker 2: Do you ever get tired of cheese steak?
Speaker 6: No? No, But we also have chicken cheese steaks. If you want to mix it up, we have Holgi's.
Speaker 2: Finster comes in against a chicken cheese steak.
Speaker 8: A lot of good people California. That's right, because when we first opened, we didn't have chicken cheese steaks. I think six months in our steak companies say you know, we're developing this chicken cheese steak. We think we'll do great in California.
Speaker 2: That's how where'd you get that scar on your arm? Is that from a cheesecake?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 6: I actually steak when I get.
Speaker 2: Sounds delicious. You should. You should maybe serve cheese cake with a steak.
Speaker 6: You have to have a tasty cake.
Speaker 2: Okay, sorry, I have a tasty hey today.
Speaker 5: By the way, a portion of the pro profits from today from National Cheese Steak Day are going to the California Fire Foundation.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right through the Cheese Steaks for Charity initiative. Wait where did the scar come from?
Speaker 6: Actually? I cook it home, so when I was cleaning the pop the other day was still hot.
Speaker 1: Oh man, that's a good scar. Yeah, you know, I got this one from a knife. I think I was slicing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Bob, thanks for coming in. Man, were great.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much for having me to give away. Janna, tell me what the full thing is. It's cheese steaks for a year. We're giving cheese steaks for a year seven hundred dollars value. What wow, we're giving that away.
Speaker 8: If you go to your Gary shn his Instagram page, and tag at eat Phillies Best dot Com chance to win.
Speaker 2: That's how we're going to do it, all right, So this again, I'm sorry, A year of cheese steaks.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness. So how so one of our people, if they go to where do they have to go?
Speaker 8: They can go to your Instagram peoch and tag you know at e Phillies best dot Com and enter to win, and then you guys can give them out.
Speaker 6: However you want.
Speaker 2: I love it, my goodness.
Speaker 8: That way, we're spreading the Philly cheese steak craze throughout southern California.
Speaker 5: Steak love everywhere, Steak love, cheese steak with without without onions exactly.
Speaker 2: I found a brethren moms again for coming.
Speaker 1: In stories we're following for you today, while we're following everything for you today. But now, top national security officials for President Trump, including his Defense secretary, texted war plans for upcoming military strikes and Yemen to a group chat in a secure messaging app that included the editor in chief for the Atlantic. This was reported by that mag and a story just published online. National Security Council said the text chain appears to be authentic. It was athletic editor in chief Jeffrey Goldberg, said the material in the text chain contained operational details of forthcoming strikes on a raw and backed Hoothy rebels in Yemen, including information about targets, weapons the US would be deploying and attacked. Sequencing just two hours after Goldberg received the details of the attack. On March fifteenth, the US began launching the series of air strikes.
Speaker 5: The Pentagon is also looking for the leaker that gave out information to newspapers last week about Elon Musk's visit to the Pentagon. Remember, it was originally said that he was going to have eyes on a plan for a potential war with China, and Defense Secretary and the President both had to come out and say that's not at all what this meeting is about. They are doing polygraph testing of now Pentagon employees to try to find who was that.
Speaker 2: Leek the information.
Speaker 5: Heathrow Airport executives are defending their response to a fire that shut down Europe's busiest airport for almost today. Was, of course, Britain's energy system operator that suggested he throw did have enough electricity from other sources to keep running, but more than thirteen hundred flights were canceled Friday after that fire destroyed one of the three electrical substations that supplies he Throw. The chief executive of National Grid, told The Financial Times each substation individually could provide enough power to keep Heathrow open, but Heathrow said safely restarting operations was a significant challenge, so it ran on a full service over the weekend as expected to do so again today as they still have to deal with some of the repercussions from all of that. Well, it's time for our motivational Monday. We've found a bunch of stuff, bunch of different speeches to a bunch of different halftime speeches, whether it's a sports movie or a war movie or just a great movie, and a way to I.
Speaker 2: Don't know, put a little spark in your step for that. That's ready. It's about getting you ready to punch the week in the face.
Speaker 5: And I have a bonus motivational one. Which do you want first? You want the bonus or do you want the real one?
Speaker 2: I think I know what your bonus is. You probably do. Yeah, yeah, let's do the real one and end with the bonus. Okay, let's spin the wheel. See which one you want uh oh, this is a good one. You're gonna like this one.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, ready yeah, halftime, Okay, Texas State Championship game for the Permian Panthers out of Odessa, Texas.
Speaker 2: They're taking on the powerhouse that is Carter High School out of Dallas.
Speaker 5: Carter's up by twenty points at halftime, and coach Gary Gaines Rallies his team for the next two important quarters of football.
Speaker 10: What's real simple, You got two more quarters and that's it.
Speaker 7: I love him now.
Speaker 10: Most of you have been playing this game for ten years and you got two more quarters. And after that, most of you will never play this game again as long as you live. And you all have known me for a while and for a long time now, you've been hearing me talk about being perfect. Well, I want you to understand something. To me, being perfect is not about that scoreboard out there. It's not about winning. It's about you and your relationship to yourself and your family and your friends. Being perfect is about being able to look your friends in the eye and know that you didn't let them down because you told them the truth. And that truth is is that you did everything that you could. There wasn't one more thing that you could have done. Can you live in that moment as best you can, with clear eyes and love in your heart, with joy in your heart.
Speaker 7: If you can do that, gentlemen, then you're perfect. Music it comes to musing.
Speaker 10: I want you to take a moment, and I want you to look each other in the eyes. I want you to put each other in your hearts forever, because forever it's about to happen here in just a few minutes. I want you to close your eyes, and I want you to think about Booby Miles, who is your brother, and he would die to be out there on that field with you.
Speaker 7: Tonight, and I want you to put that in your hearts. Whata my heart is full? My heart's full.
Speaker 2: Of course the Great Friday Nightlights twenty five years ago, if you can believe. And then he went on to be land Man.
Speaker 5: I think it's a different it's a different character. But did you notice that in one of the first episodes of land Man. Yes, he goes back to visit or watch the spring game or whatever it was.
Speaker 2: It was very cool. Uh, So that was good. Just I love Billy Bob Thornton.
Speaker 5: It's just a fantastic so The bonus was that last night before the Anaheim Ducks took on the Carolina Hurricanes, they had a special visitor in their locker room, none other than your Chargers head coach Jim Harbaugh. Yeah yeah, yeah, how as these young guys see him coming in the Uh what on this is?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 11: This is incredible. Uh, this kind of stuff I live for right here this uh, this time right before the game. And uh, I can see the heart going. My heart's going to I'm always like, uh one of those race horses.
Speaker 7: You like.
Speaker 11: You can tell they got a little sweat, got a little sweat coming down. You can see the see the heart pumping snot bubbles, snot bubbles coming out and uh, you guys are thoroughbreds, man.
Speaker 4: And uh coach was hitting me with this story by at the bow and arrow and UH got me. I mean that's why, that's why the heart's going right now. Man, he got you got me pumped up right there. So hey, let's go draw on your old back. I just feel that I feel that strong.
Speaker 3: That's strong, like right there right got back as far as you can aim and release, take your freaking shot.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 4: It just it gets me right there, So go ahead and plays hards cans fast as you can, as long as you can keep your wits about you and don't work win out three one two three.
Speaker 9: Oh my god, Hunt tonight you're running and left wing harky at center, lending that right wing liser defense MINTI helly and in that that's.
Speaker 3: The I mean.
Speaker 1: Right after my cup of coffee this morning, when I was reading the La Times story about eleven cafes to enjoy a cup of coffee while you shop for plants. After I was indulging myself and reading through that, I got that tweet from Carl that shared that video with me, and I thought, thank you Carl for bringing me back to who I really am.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 5: Play as fast as you can, as hard as you can, for as long as you can. Yeah, you've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app