Speaker 1: Good morning, good morning, good morning, and welcome, welcome, welcome. It's time now for one on one with a bro. Actually it's two on one, and it's okay.
Speaker 2: It's all right. These folks know a lot of things. There are friends here from.
Speaker 1: Bartlesville Health and Rehab. We have a Tammy Founder, director of Nursing. Hello, Hello, and also Janet Graham, who is here today's she's the director of Rehab.
Speaker 2: How are you doing?
Speaker 3: I'm doing great.
Speaker 1: How are you? I will soon to be wonderful, I guess, because we're going to be talking about how we get better faster, and that is one of the cool things about Bartlesfield Health and Rehab is the rehab.
Speaker 2: First of all, tell us a little bit about yourself.
Speaker 4: I'm an occupational therapy assistant. I've worked at Bartlesville Health and Rehab for twenty seven years now. I've also worked part time or PRN at other facilities, and Bartlesville Health and Rehab has always just been my home.
Speaker 3: It has my heart because I know that they care about their residence.
Speaker 1: You know, that's something we run into an awful lot, isn't it.
Speaker 2: A lot of long term a lot of long term employees.
Speaker 1: Tell us about Bartschweel Health and Rehab in particular here that give us the overarch well.
Speaker 5: It is owned by Alex Siminci Dald of course, and they're good friends of both of ours, and of course I'm kind of new to the facility, but it's a great place. They've you know, they they we have long term care, we have skilled uh nursing, we have of course the rehab that's happening. We got the new memory care that last time I was here we talked about, and uh, we've got a lot of good things happening new. You know, Cordell Rumsey came back and I've me and him kind of came along within the short time period together. So I think we're all just excited about the big changes and and what we can do to you know, uh, keep up with the market and keep up with the needs, and and take good care of our residents.
Speaker 2: To get back to the rehab services.
Speaker 1: First of all, for the folks who are there for a short time, I understand these little victories each and every day you're kind of celebrated, aren't they.
Speaker 3: They are when someone comes to.
Speaker 4: Us after they've had a surgery or a brief illness, in the hospital, they get to a level that they may not.
Speaker 3: Be able to get home quite safely.
Speaker 4: So they'll come to us as kind of transitional period, right, and we get to see them from the start, talk to them, talk to their families, find out their goals, and we make their goals our goals. We want to if they're going to go home, we want them to be able to go home. We try to encourage them to stick with us for a short period of time so that allows us to get them to the highest level of independence and safety possible so that their success and can make it back.
Speaker 2: To their home. That's great.
Speaker 1: You know it's got to be hard coming off of high hospital stay and then you know, you got a little bit of hope that you know, I'm gonna get back home, but I got to do some work. Does it get a little overwhelming the first couple of days for the typical typical person coming.
Speaker 3: Into it, it does. And I usually talk to them about.
Speaker 4: You know, just stay with us, well, let's work this week and next week. Where you're going to look back and see where you were and where you are now. And that's how they can.
Speaker 3: See their progress from week to week.
Speaker 4: They a lot of times feel like they're not doing well and will point out, hey, last week you couldn't walk five feet and today you walk sixty five feet. So you know they're they're just because they they're their own worst critic. Basically, that's kind of a human thing, is So we basically they have to do the work, and we were quite clear with them on that.
Speaker 3: We're just kind of the directors.
Speaker 4: We kind of guide them through the process.
Speaker 3: So yes, yes, so we we push a little bit.
Speaker 1: Well that's good because you know, you can get some stubborn folks like me in there, you know, and without that little push.
Speaker 2: Or maybe a you know, box of dynamite or something like that. You know, I'm not going to go too far. So I understand.
Speaker 1: You know, everybody is different and you have to work with him the best way you can engage and push forward.
Speaker 2: So that that's really great.
Speaker 1: So you got a little bit of psychology and a whole lot of a whole lot of different tools at your toolbox to help people be the best.
Speaker 2: They can be. Yes, absolutely, my goodness sakes.
Speaker 1: And with the long term care folks, that's it's a little different, but we still work with them.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's a little different because the majority of them, because they're long term, they're going to be there. Sometimes long term care is only a couple of years. Sometimes it's for the rest of their lives. Sure, So we work on slowing the disease process as they get you know, like if they have Parkinson.
Speaker 3: Or COPD or whatever.
Speaker 4: We just work on them being as strong as independent as they can be in that facility so that they're much happier.
Speaker 1: That you can do for.
Speaker 4: Yourself, the happier you're going to be. You can live here and you can make a happy life here. That you'll be happiest if you do the majority of you know, like taking yourself to the bathroom or dressing yourself or just getting out of the room and attending social events. Anything you can do to make yourself as independent as possible will make you happier there.
Speaker 1: Just being independent enough to be social is probably a big thing for everyone.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And if they don't meet the skilled needs anymore, where maybe Jana or we have another friend named Gabe that helps her out. And we have a restorative program also that they can kind of transition over to. Oh and that is with one of our restorative aids who's more specialty trained to helping, whether.
Speaker 3: It be like a walk to dine.
Speaker 5: Is one of the things that he does just to encourage people to still kind of work.
Speaker 3: They may not, you know, qualify.
Speaker 5: To do skilled therapy, but he still works with them too kind of keep a maintained baseline of being able to move around and.
Speaker 3: Keep their body up to optimum.
Speaker 1: I can almost sense that some of the patients will establish like personal challenges for themselves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm going to do this today. I'm going to do this a little bit better tomorrow.
Speaker 1: This is my goal for today, and you know, with any luck, I can do a little bit.
Speaker 2: Better to it.
Speaker 1: It's very much a little series of individual challenges, isn't.
Speaker 4: Absolutely Absolutely, we encourage them just to be the best version of yourself each day, each day and if you have a set back and don't let that determine the rest.
Speaker 3: Of your week or the of your life.
Speaker 4: Okay, there's ways tomorrow, let's try again, and let's get better and better.
Speaker 1: And a lot of times that's all it takes is just that one more try.
Speaker 2: Now, one more try. That's great.
Speaker 1: And of course with the memory care we talked about that the last time you were here. But this is a wonderful thing because not that long ago, if your memory was kind of on pause or they're not, it just felt like people threw up their hands and just said, well, we're going to do the best we can.
Speaker 2: But now we've got.
Speaker 1: More tools that are fused to keep people, as she say, be the best possible you you can be for the longest amount of time.
Speaker 5: And just because their memory care doesn't mean that they don't qualify for some skilled service. Jana has several that she goes back into the memory care unit and does some skilled therapy with them, and.
Speaker 3: Our speech therapist especially.
Speaker 4: She's just phenomenal when it comes to that because she can train the staff too on how to approach the person that has dementia or whatever, so that so that the communication is so much better and more comfortable for that resident.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, nobody needs to be startled, nobody needs to be confused, exactly. We can avoid that. You guys are special, kind of like angels on Earth. You're taking care of taking care of folks when they're having difficulty.
Speaker 2: Taking care of themselves.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It takes a special heart to do that, isn't it.
Speaker 3: I've always known I was going to work in Jerias.
Speaker 4: I just have always felt like that we owe that generation everything.
Speaker 1: I had.
Speaker 4: I mean, now I'm part of that Jerry populations. So but it's it's funny because I don't feel like I mean, I still feel like I'm that younger person talking to him that I do. I just feel like we owe them the life that we have, the freedoms that we have.
Speaker 3: Everything we owe that generation, you know, so say it back to them.
Speaker 1: That is a beautiful story, a full line of thinking too. My son, I'm sixty five, I'm not exactly a young fun but my son, who's forty five, says, Dad, what's it like being old? I looked at any person and he said, you look starting when I said that, I said, I am. I said, until I catch a glance of myself in a reflection in a mirror or a window, a little glare or something like that. I'm still thirty thirty five years old, and it's not until I see a reflected image of myself that it dawns on me that I'm not.
Speaker 2: And I get the feeling.
Speaker 1: That many of us, as we age, that's pretty much where we are, and sometimes we can't understand why is it I can't move like that anymore, and it's very confounding.
Speaker 2: Is that part of the.
Speaker 3: That's part of it, and part of it is that saying use it or lose it.
Speaker 4: You know, I really encourage people to exercise and walk as much as possible, people out in the community, because when you stop, that's when it all especially as you're getting older, and if you get ill, it just kind of all goes away and then you have to start over again.
Speaker 1: With me that that is one of the best things you can do without having to see a doctor. Is you know, if you can go a mile a day, maybe two, and again you're not sprinting, you're just enjoying the outdoors. Yeah, just block out some time to do that. That pays dividends. Now at the Barnwell Health and Rehab it's really easy to find.
Speaker 2: I understand that there's a heck of a landmark just right.
Speaker 3: In front of you, just right behind the hospital, well the north of the hospital, I guess in Yardosville.
Speaker 5: North of the hospital thirty four thirty four Kentucky.
Speaker 2: Please can we come and visit and take a little look?
Speaker 5: Absolutely, come come in and anyone at the front who greets them, they can ask for a tour.
Speaker 1: And one good morning, good morning, good morning, and welcome, welcome, welcome time now for Native beat right here on K one, the one you trust, and we have mister Washtlton here with us.
Speaker 2: Hey you doing everybody?
Speaker 6: Oh ceo Tom? How are you this morning?
Speaker 7: As we sound a Cherokee reservation Elsta son a Lee, which is good morning.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, we're learning things.
Speaker 6: Did you have a good weekend?
Speaker 2: I sure, I always have a good weekend.
Speaker 7: You too, I did, absolutely yeah, And as always, we'd like to start at the show by thanking our sponsor, Coffeeville Cooperative Credit Union. While Martin and staff they got out of their way to provide you with the best and personal financial services with a personal touch. Whether it's low interest car loans or retirement planning, they're here for They're there for you. Head up today at three thirteen West ninth Street and caught downtown Coffeeville or call six two zero two five to one five two nine zero Coffeevill Cooperative Credit Union.
Speaker 6: It's where you belong.
Speaker 7: Insured by NCUA. Check them out on their Facebook page or at their website at cooperativecu dot com. Native would also like to thank our listeners for tuning in, and without their continued to support, we wouldn't be here. So it's a great thing that they tune in every week to see what we were talking talking about, the events that we cover, and the news that we cover. So it's an exciting time here in the Cherokee Reservation. One of the most significant annual events that we have is coming up. It's going to be a Labor Day weekend. It's the Cherokee National Holiday. It's going to take place in about ten days and some of you make questions, well, what is he talking about, Well, the Cherokee National Holiday. It's going to be the seventy second annual celebration of the signing of the Cherokee Constitution. If you look at the Cherokee Seal, in fact, it'll have on the date that the Constitution was signed back then it was September sixth, eighteen thirty nine. The signing of the Cherokee Constitution is one of the most critical events in our history. One reason is because the new Constitution was signed less than six months after the last contingent of Cherokees were forcibly marched over the Trail of Tears of Oklahoma, and so once they got here. We actually had a couple of factions of Cherokees. We had the old settler Cherokees who actually came prior to the removal, and then of course we had the Cherokees who were forcibly marked on the Trail of Tears. And so there was some disagreement between the old settlers, which is what they were called the Trail of Tears Cherokees, about you know, how things should be run, how they should be governed, and you know, the old settlers, I think there were some resentments here that while we were here before you guys, and so, you know, they felt that they should have says over you know, what was going to happen as far as the government and things like that. So, sensing the possibility of a rift between these different factions the respect to the leaders of the old Settlers and the Trail of Tears, Cherokees began negotiations to unite just as soon as the last Eastern Cherokees arrived. So on July twelfth, eighteen thirty nine, a convention was held in the Illinois campground of East Italic Law. After a lot of deliberation, a formal active union was established and the two groups settled their differences and declared themselves to be one body body politic outher the title of Cherokee Nation. Chief Ross Going Snake, who was the speaker of the Council at the time, signed on behalf the Eastern Cherokees of the Ross Party. Principal Chief John Looney Sequoya and other old Sailor leaders signed for this group. The active union was followed by another convension in Tahakua two months later, which led to the signing the Constitution of on September sixth, eighteen thirty nine. It was essential to survival of Cherokee people the time would come together, because if we didn't, it'd be very likely that we would have splintered and would have been actually spread as a tribe, and we probably would have never gained that cohesion that we have now. So that's one of the reasons that we celebrated. It formed a sustainable form of government. It divided the Cherokee Nation to nine districts, which is what we also have well, actually about fourteen jurisdictions today, but included the Kui Skoue District, which is where we're located. In honor of the Chief John Ross kuy Scue was his Cherokee name. I think it means little spring bird or something like that. So you'll actually see that down in a lot of the buildings. In fact, the Cherokee health that are down at Oceleda has out on the side of the building. Out of this constitution, courts were established, elections were held, and a new government began to operate. John Ross consumed to continue to serve as the principal chief of the Cherokee Nation. Joseph Vann, who was chief of the old Settlers, was elected to serve as.
Speaker 6: A deputy chief.
Speaker 7: In eighteen ninety eight, the Curtis Act, instituted by the federal government, limited the power of tribal governments Indian territory to paved the way for the allotment of tribal lands and Oklahoma statehood, which came along in nineteen oh seven. I do know that at that time, the Cherokee Nation we actually wanted to have our own separate state from Oklahoma. It was going to be called the State of Sequoia. And Theodore Roosevelt he said, no, we're not going to be signing two states into the Union. We're just going to focus on one, So that was one of the reasons we ended up with the hire State of Oklahoma. In October nineteen seventy five, the then Chief Ross Swimmer signed a new constitution that superseded the eighteenth thirty nine constitution. A constitutional convention was held in Tahlequan February of nineteen ninety nine to revise an update the nineteen seventy five constitution. The Cherokee Nations operated under the nineteen ninety nine constitutions since July of two thousand and six, in fact, it's past June.
Speaker 6: We voted on whether we were going to have.
Speaker 7: Another constitutional convention the termin of significant changes need to be made to our government. And this was overlywhelmingly rejected by the Cherokee people. And the reason is because we feel this, as Chief Hosket had said time and time again, if it's not broke, don't fix it. You know, everything seems to be going pretty well on even keel, and so we figured that, well, as we'll keep the government we have and keep doing what we're doing. So and to celebrate this, like I said, are one of our most significant events is the Cherokee National Holiday. It'll be taking place August thirtieth, thirty first, and September first, Taalaquaw can expect tens of thousands of visitors as we gather to celebrate. It reaffirms us Cherokee Nation is a sovereign nation and honors the good will of camaraderie and the positive relationships we have among the Cherokee people. The theme this year of this year's holiday is Weaving Our Future.
Speaker 6: The theme art and.
Speaker 7: Design, the logo We're created by Cherokee National Treasurer and renowned artists and Daniel Mink. The themes an important story in our culture to the water Spider. The story the water Spider has a simple moral. No matter how small, every one of the four hundred and fifty thousand members of our tribe can have some measurable impact, either on the fabric of Cherokee culture or the future generations of Cherokees and how they relate to our culture. Even the future also refers to the many ways Cherokee cultures interwoven into every aspect of our daily lives, whether in big or small ways. If you learn the Cherokee language, just one way that it's interwoven. If you're taking care of an elder, that's another way that it's inner woven. I mean, who today doesn't you know, take care of an elder at some point. You know, it's just something.
Speaker 2: That we do.
Speaker 7: We step up and you take care of exactly right. There are several great events that are going on during the holiday, from a parade celebrating the culture to the state of the Nation addressed by Chief Hoskin to many the artists and vendors, as well as competition as traditional games and our inner tribal pow Wow. It's a full slate of events that is something for everyone. I encourage everyone to make it to tele Quall Labor Day weekend and check it out. And that's August thirtieth, thirty first and September first. You can find information about the Cherokee National Holiday at the Cherokee Holiday dot com website web page. From August thirty through September first, this event will have community games including a championship, cornstocks, shoot horseshoes, traditional Cherokee marbles.
Speaker 6: Chunky Chunky is.
Speaker 7: An interesting game because you have sort of a stone disc and you actually roll along the ground and you take a spear and you throw it and whoever lands closest to that disc gets a point. And so this is actually one of the ways this has been going on thousands of years.
Speaker 6: In fact, they've found.
Speaker 7: These oldest scoid little stones from way back and seven eight thousand years ago. Soince is a game that's been around for quite some time. The only thing is I think that back then the stakes were quite a bit higher because a lot of times the loser.
Speaker 6: Ended up being put to death.
Speaker 2: So I would wow, we'll talk about competitive spirit.
Speaker 7: That's exactly right. Yeah, that's a little more. That's a little too intense for my taste. So blowgun competition that's another great one that we have. And hatchet throwing, which is huge across our reservation. In fact, we have going on rivalries between the Cherokee Cultural Community and Dewey, the Washington County Cherokee Association, the Native American Fellowship up in South Coalkerville. That's something that we all like to get together and do. We give each other a hard time, but at the end of the day, it's just something fun we like to get together.
Speaker 2: And makes cornhole look kind of chilly.
Speaker 6: It does, doesn't it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Yeah, And it's interesting to bring that up because that's actually another one of the events.
Speaker 6: That we're going to have as a cornhole tournament there.
Speaker 7: Okay, but these particular events will begin on Saturday, August twenty fourth, beginning at ten am, and'll we played at various venues throughout the day around Tahlequah. And here here's the other thing we talked about this earlier. What's a holiday without food?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, yeah, So.
Speaker 6: There'll be lots of great food vendors.
Speaker 7: There's also going to be a veterans luncheon on Friday, August thirtieth at twelve pm with three admission for info on that, you can call it nine one eight seven seven to.
Speaker 6: Two four one sixty six. There'll also be a free feed to.
Speaker 7: Go on Saturday or on slor on Sunday, September one, from twelve to three thirty, as well as food vendors at one Firefield the Cultural Grounds where the Inner Tribal Powwow takes place, and that begins at seven pm August thirtieth and thirty first. There is a thirty five thousand dollars prize, actually thirty five thousand dollars in prize money that's going to be given out to the Inner tribal Powwow. So anyone who's a dancer out there, you want to get registered, you want to get signed up for the dance.
Speaker 6: That's a good way to bring home some change in your pocket.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 7: And the other thing that we have is a concert series that we have during the holiday every year. And I'm always kind of screw up the name, but it's a d La La Palooza which will take place the evening of August thirtieth and thirty first from six to ten pm at one Firefield with musical guests Big Chooje Mackie on Friday. In fact, Big Chooge has a local connection. His dad, Ryan Mackie, is from Copan and this is something I was unaware of until I was talking to Big Chewe and I found out his dad was Ryan, and I was like, I was floored because I was like, I've known Ryan for about forty years.
Speaker 6: I just had never known Big Juje. And he's a.
Speaker 7: Wonderful singer, as sais I told you earlier. You know, he's adapted some of the older songs and great covers of them. He was there at the opening of the Bob Dylan Center, so he's been on NPR. I mean, he's really well recognized and respected as an artist and musician.
Speaker 6: So that's going to be a great.
Speaker 7: Concert there, and that's August thirtieth from six to seven pm. The Klondike five String Band that night will also appear from seven to eight pm, and Sister Soone from eight to ten pm Saturday, I'll have Amber Watson and friends will be taking the stage from six to seven pm, Cody Brewer and last but not least, King Cabbage Brass Band, which a lot of people around Tulsa in this area know of. They're pretty famous. They're going to be taking the stage from eight three to ten pm on Saturday, August thirty first. And we can't forget to mention the Cherokee Artists in Market, which will be held from August thirty first to September first from nine to three pm. You can always find great art work there, sculptures, paintings. A thing that I like to point out are these booger masks. And it sounds kind of a funny, funny sounding name of booger masks were actually a masks that remain out of gourds and prior to the removal, you would have a dance. The night before hunt or the night before a warring party went out to another tribe. And the cool thing about this is they would wear a mask and they would go up and they would take certain women from the from the crowd as they set around a fire, and they would take them. They retreat with them, and it was kind of a warning that, you know, you better do well in the battle tomorrow, or you better be good at hunting, or you could very well lose your wife. You know, she might she might move on to greener pastures, or the neighboring tribe might adopt her as you know, someone to have to have in their tribe.
Speaker 6: So anyway, the that that market is kind of.
Speaker 7: An interesting thing because they will have natives from all around the country who like to participate.
Speaker 6: Tribes I have never even heard of, and I know.
Speaker 7: They are about five hundred and thirty eight federally recognized tribes in the country. But when we see a plaque above there, you're like, where is this tribe from? But you know, this is one of those interesting things. There'll be softball tournaments, there are three on three basketball tournaments, golf tournaments, there's gonna be a double cornament they don't call it cornhole, they call it cornament.
Speaker 6: I'd like that too a little bit. Yeah, I heard that today.
Speaker 7: And they have a Veterans five k and a fun run, and a bass tournament and stickball tournament. There's literally something for the entire family. So whatever your interest is, it's good to go out there. And we cannot forget to mention Chief Hoskin. He'll be presenting the State of the Nation address on August thirtieth at eleven am. It's the Cherokee National Peace Pavilion. I went to that last year. It was well received, and you know, he talks about the accomplishments the Cherokee Nation has done in the past few years, in the past year or so, but also about it, you know, his plans for the future.
Speaker 6: And I think it's always worth a listen. You can actually to watch this.
Speaker 7: Address on the Cherokee Nation YouTube channel if you're not able to attend.
Speaker 6: But anyway, the like I said, this event.
Speaker 7: Goes on August thirtieth, thirtieth and September first, and before we go today have a few announcements. We don't want to forget to check out our Cherokee Facebook pages for the latest events, news and meetings Cherokee, Washington County Cherokee are I'm sorry, the Washington County Cherokee Association, the Cherokee Cultural Community in Dewey know we the Cherokee Community Foundation, and the Native American Fellowship in South Coffeeville. I encourage everyone, whether you're Cherokee or not, to find a community and get involved. As with many of these organizations, what we're seeing is the membership is aging out and we really need younger people to set up up and take over. And you know, we want to be able to preserve our culture, our language, our history, and that's one of the best ways to do it. Also, we want to make sure that you know of the Cherokee Nation Career Services Office. It's located seven hundred East Durham, which is at the Cherokee Cultural Community Building. It's actually had been closed for a while, but it's open to run again. The Cherokee County Cherokee Association will be connecting a traditional skills flint napping class on the evening of August twenty seven at six pm.
Speaker 6: We'd love to see you there.
Speaker 7: We're at one of our regular monthly meetings the first Thursday of each month at six pm. Our next potlock will be having Cherokee National Treasure and Traditional Weapons expert Danny McCarter, who specializes in conventional blowguns of blowgun darts relocated just east of the Kuiskui Health Center and once again in that meeting will be September fifth at six pm. Also, be sure to catch our friends Chris Crane and Amy Dollar and their first show, Frybred Journeys on the mighty six to ninety KGGF. Check out their Facebook page, and be sure to check out our show Native Beat, either live on KWN, the Barswell Radio Facebook page, or the demand on demand to the Barswell Radio app on the Apple Store. A big wadoe, as we say in Cherokee, one ah is the Delaware would say, WONSI is the stage would say. But for all, for now, what I'm going to say to you is Doda de goha E until we meet again.
Speaker 6: Kennedy Construction for all remodeling needs from large projects too small