Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Shannon posted something about what her Sundays look like now that the football season is over, which was funny. But spring training starts this week. Games start on Thursday. As a matter of fact, the Cubs and the Dodgers play the first game of spring training twenty twenty five. They'll play that on Thursday afternoon over in Arizona. Of course, they get to kick off early because those two teams are going to meet up in a Japan for the Japan Series, the Tokyo Series, early in March, or i should say middle of March, before the rest of the regular season begins, so they'll play a couple of games over there. That's why they showed up early. That's why the pitchers and catchers reported early. For those two teams. We also saw a preview of the upcoming Academy Awards, the Oscars, of course, the BAFTA Awards, Britain's version.
Speaker 3: They were handed out last night.
Speaker 2: Best Picture went to Conclave the Brutalist One, Best Actor for Adrian Brody and Best Director for Brady Corbett, Adrian Brody, Did I say that right? And then Mikey Madison, Star of Honora, sort of a surprise win for Best Actress. And we'll see if it in fact makes any difference as to how the oscars are chosen. In a couple of weeks, we're going to do our trending stories, but a reminder that the thousand dollars will give away twelve twenty and at the bottom of the hour your favorite bumper stickers that you've seen over the course of the years. What else is going on?
Speaker 3: Time for what's happening?
Speaker 2: Well, it's been speculated for months that Riverside County Chrieff Sheriff Chad Bianco was going to run for governor, and as a matter of fact, he made it official today. He has been a long outspoken critic of Gavin Newsom and longtime supporter of Donald Trump. Bianco made headlines last year when he posted a video of himself in uniform, addressing his social media followers and said he was tired of the rule of law being ignored by legislators and elected leaders. The video was shared the week after Trump was convicted in New York of thirty four counts of falsifying business records, and the sheriff said that he was in support of putting a felon in the White House. Bianco ended that video by saying that he was switching teams, putting his support behind a convicted felon in Trump and said, let's save this country and make America great again. As a couple of quick programming notes, Sheriff Bianco is going to be on with John Cobelt later today two o'clock this afternoon, and then tomorrow the sheriff is going to join us and we'll talk to him coming up at eleven. The city of la with an assist from Metro, is going to start issuing three hundred dollars tickets if you park along two of its bus only lanes beginning tomorrow. They announced the new enforcement action right along bus line two twelve, which serves Librea and bus line seven twenty, which serves Wilshire. And they said from December through January, if you parked in the bus only lanes, you were mailed a notice, just a warning that said that future violations would involve a citation of two hundred and ninety three dollars. They said, this is hopefully a way to reduce delays for passengers on those metro lines. Board of Supervisors Metro chair Janis Han said, without enforcement, a single parked car and a bus lane can delay dozens or even hundreds of riders. We've talked before many times, this show already about Marco Rubio in Saudi Arabia. He is expected to meet with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov tomorrow. A couple other American high level employees is that right, high level officials, the National Security Advisor Mike Walls, the Middle East Envoy Steve Whitkoff set to arrive later today. They'll be joining Rubio at the talks with the Russians. The Kremlin said that Sergei Lavrov and Yuri Ushakov, a foreign policy advisor to POOH, are going to fly to Riod today expected to hold a meeting with their counterparts, which will focus primarily on restoring the entire complex of Russian American relations.
Speaker 3: That's the way they said it.
Speaker 2: Of course, one of the big deals for America is to end at least develop some sort of ceasefire agreement between Russia and Ukraine, to try to put an end to that three year war now harsh weather moved west today. The polar vortex is expected to hit the Rockies and northern Plains after the winter storms hit the eastern US over the weekend. National Weather Service warned of life threatening cold into tomorrow. They said temperatures in northeastern Montana could be forty five below zero, and with windchill, it would feel as low as sixty below. The dangerously cold windchill temperatures as low as fifty below expected in most of north most of North Dakota and then large swaths of South Dakota and Minnesota. Several states they said, would experience now the tenth and coldest polar vortex event of this season, from Montana to main and then as far south as Oklahoma. They're expecting subzero temperatures. We know that the Pope has what they believe is a complex infection in his respiratory system that's going to require quite a bit of medicine and rest. Officials said that eighty eight year old Pope Francis is suffering from a POLYMICROBIALA two polymicrobial rep Take three polymicrobial respiratory tract infection. They didn't give any indication as the actual seriousness of it. But whenever it's got four words, you know it's not good. Essentially, there's just a mix of bacteria and viruses and fungi, maybe even some parasites that are growing in this guy's lung singular, so they're going to have to go through and knock them out with antibiotics, usually a few days to up to two weeks. He might even be given various medicines, including one's you would take if you have asthma, or some sort of COPD just to restrengthen the lung after it recovers.
Speaker 3: Saturday Night Live celebrated fifty years.
Speaker 2: They had a pretty long, lengthy and I would say mostly positive primetime special last night.
Speaker 3: They went on for three hours.
Speaker 2: It opened with Paul Simon, who's been on Saturday Night Live a million times, and Sabrina Carpenter, who was just the musical guest.
Speaker 3: I think it was the last.
Speaker 2: Year, not even a year ago, so one of the original guests, Paul Simon with one of the new guests, Sabrina Carpenter, which was not a pretty low key start to the show, considering they usually do cold opens that are somewhat funny, but.
Speaker 3: She made a funny quip.
Speaker 2: He said that he was about to play a song that he performed with George Harrison back in nineteen seventy six, and she says, well, I wasn't born then, and neither were my parents. So there's a lot of great people, Eddie Murphy, will Ferrell. I mean, some of the absolute classics came back, and they were funny.
Speaker 3: For the most part, they weren't.
Speaker 2: Great, but I had a better time looking at some of the older just some of the throwback stuff. Tom Hanks got in trouble for supposedly playing a maga racist guy on Black Jeopardy, but then came out and introduced to her I thought was one of the better montages, which was the skits that didn't age well where they talked about making fun of people's ethnicities, they made fun of child molestations, sexual harassment. I mean, they knew how to make people laugh back in the day. And then finally, Krispy Kreme has teamed up with Hulu to create donuts inspired by movie theater snacks like popcorn, slushies, and boxed candy. I don't know if I want to have a piece of popcorn on my jelly filled Krispy Cream, don't it, but it's caramel popcorn on top of it, the candy Double Feature, the cookie does Superstar, and then the Blue Raspberry Slush, all of them available from Krispy Cream Prodition.
Speaker 4: Michelle is Hereday, Yeah, I have a question. Quizmy on Monday? Do you have to do the questions from Saturday and Sunday? Do you want to do like a quick three question?
Speaker 3: All right, we'll see if you can do that. Okay, So here's the first one. Yeah.
Speaker 4: For two thousand, roses is the category roses resistant to cold weather. This type of rose, known for its white blooms, shares its name with a type of lettuce.
Speaker 3: What is iceberg?
Speaker 5: Yep?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 6: Hey?
Speaker 4: Question number two A nineteen eighties restoration in this building involves surfaces cleaned with wine in the seventeen tens that were touched up with tempura peaked.
Speaker 3: I have no idea. This is teen chapel. Oh, all right, last one. This one's the easy one.
Speaker 4: That category is an American president for two hundred. His first job was scooping ice cream at a Baskin Robbins in Hawaii.
Speaker 3: Who's Barack Obama? You got itab the only one who spend a whole lot of time. Thank you for that.
Speaker 2: All right, here's what we know about this plane that has crashed at Toronto Pearson International Airport. Peel Regional Police are responding. According to the Toronto Star, they said most of the passengers are out, but they didn't comment on any injuries. A post on Twitter from Toronto Pearson Airport said that all passengers and crew are accounted for, and they said that the crash happened upon landing. According to a post from Toronto Pearson involving Delta Airlines plane arriving from Minneapolis. Some of the early pictures, by the way, show this Delta airplane. It's a smaller regional it looks like it is. There's some damage on what would be the port side, but it is completely upside down and sorry, that's the starboard side because it's upside down and the wing that would be on that right side the starboard side is gone. I assume that's the result of this thing having flipped over while it was landing.
Speaker 3: Again, not quite sure.
Speaker 2: They just describe it as a landing incident at Toronto's Pearson Airport involving a small regional jet from Minnesota up to Toronto. So as we get some more information, we'll bring that to you. Well, we talk a lot about egg prices. Egg prices have become sort of the new gallon of milk in terms of explaining inflation. It's not just inflation that is pushing egg prices up. Some stores here in La nine ten bucks for a dozen. But shoppers have found that Trader Joe's, for example, not a commercial for them, just that they have tended to have cheaper egg prices. And there is a blog that has been tracking weekly egg prices at major retailers and said that eggs were going for an average of three dollars and forty nine cents a dozen last week. The price of Trader Joe's eggs is below the national average by almost a buck fifty for just Grade A large eggs. The average price of a dozen Grade A large eggs was four fifteen during December. That's an increase from two dollars and fifty cents from a year before that, and it's going to get worse. So Trader Joe's recently implemented a purchase limit on their eggs in order to control the supply, and customers are only allowed one dozen eggs per person per day. But according to CNBC, they're able to keep their egg prices down because they buy directly from suppliers, they have a smaller product selection, and they use private labeled brands allegedly to avoid price markups to control their costs. A spokesperson for Trade Joe said, we work very hard to could prive to provide our customers outstanding value in the form of best quality products at the best everyday prices, and we only change our prices when our costs change. Now, this is not to say that inflation doesn't have a piece in this, Obviously it does. But you're talking about a nationwide bird flu outbreak where we've had to kill well over one hundred million chickens to try to prevent this thing from spreading out of control. When one chicken in a flock gets it, the entire flock is culled because of the fear of spread. That has meant that there's fewer chickens laying eggs out there. Obviously, that increases prices. The egg shortage is also plagued the restaurant industry. We saw in many cases restaurants who said that they're going to be adding fifty cent surcharges per egg. If you were to or or something for breakfast, an omle three a gamelet, God forbid you get a four a gamelet, that'd be two extra bucks.
Speaker 3: I'd be crazy.
Speaker 2: We've been taking your talkbacks on some of the greatest bumper stickers that you've ever seen. The reason we even thought about this. The La Times had an article regarding bumper stickers and how hyper specific some bumper stickers have gotten. I thought the best way to put it was, you want to put a sticker on your car that's so obscure that whoever finds it funny is destined to be your friends. That's pretty pretty specific. Whether it references something that you normally wouldn't get, that general public wouldn't get, and there's only one other person who's going to be driving home see in the back of your car and get that joke. That's going to be your person going forward. LA Times had an article today regarding bumper stickers and people who consider themselves aficionados on bomber stickers. Why we have bumper stickers When bumper stickers started back in nineteen forty six, All of these different stories about bumper stickers, and they're kind of ubiquitous. They're all over the place and that we all see them. Sometimes we pay attention to them. Sometimes they make us chuckle. But I wanted to ask what was or some of the better bumper stickers that you've had or seen in the course of your travels.
Speaker 6: Best bumper sticker I ever saw?
Speaker 3: And I had plagediar eyes, didn't now have it on the back of my truck.
Speaker 6: Get this.
Speaker 3: Things are a lot more like they used to be than they are now. Man, you kick that around.
Speaker 2: All day I can. I don't like them when you make them. They make you think too hard.
Speaker 7: Hey Gary, I think the funniest bumper sticker I ever saw was my wife when inmate of the month at fullsome institution for women.
Speaker 8: Okay, Hey Gary, I've had the same bumper sticker on my car for a couple of presidential elections. Now it says any functioning adult. Each time I get a new one, it's updated for the next presidential election year. I guess I'm going to need one for twenty twenty eight too. Still waiting for the functioning adults.
Speaker 7: Hey, Gary and Shannon, It's Karen Jarrett from Magnolia, Texas.
Speaker 9: We listened to you.
Speaker 10: Every day, and we love you. Our favorite bumper sticker is gas grass or app nobody rides for free.
Speaker 7: Have a great day.
Speaker 3: That's pretty old school one that we've seen for a while.
Speaker 2: Gary, I saw.
Speaker 11: A bumper sticker the.
Speaker 2: Other day and said, I woke up grumpy, but usually I let her sleep in.
Speaker 3: I have a great day. I should have seen that one coming.
Speaker 5: I was driving in Oceanside, California, and there was a marine in a vehicle and his bumper sticker said I'm so horny even the crack of dawn looks good.
Speaker 3: H That was pretty funny.
Speaker 5: Keep it in my mind that long.
Speaker 3: How about this for a bumper sticker. It's true.
Speaker 8: My insurance is good.
Speaker 7: How are your breaks?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've seen that one many tips.
Speaker 10: Hey, Mike, Hey, before I was Capitalists Saved, I was in construction management. My work truck had a bumper sticker on it that said Jesus is coming, Look busy. Very blasphemous, but hey, I was a kid and now I'm a pastor.
Speaker 3: Thank you, pastor, Mike. Appreciate that.
Speaker 6: Hey, Gary, I saw this one a while back. It said I love animals, especially with kitchep. I thought that was funny.
Speaker 1: It is funny, Hey Gary, not Shannon. Happy Monday.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I thought about the bumper sticker thing for a while, and I remember when I was in the South, I saw a really funny one that just had me in stitches. It said, and don't quote me for Vadam, but it's You're child may be an honor student, but my kid can kick your kids at any day. And I'm not condoning kid on kid violence.
Speaker 7: It just I thought it was funny.
Speaker 3: It is anyway, have.
Speaker 10: A great rest of your guys today.
Speaker 3: You don't have to apologize.
Speaker 6: My favorite bumper sticker is happiness is senior law pitcher on the back of a.
Speaker 3: Milk cart, on the back of a milk cart.
Speaker 9: Happy President's Monday, Gary, you sir, how much is Shannon's bail?
Speaker 7: Anyway?
Speaker 9: Bumper stickers, here's one you don't see anymore. I always thought was cute. Keep honking while I reload.
Speaker 3: Yes, that one I've also seen.
Speaker 8: Hey, Gary and Channon, this is Kathy. My bumper stickers says, if it's not a Scottie, it's just a dog.
Speaker 3: I thought Gary like that. I certainly do. I don't think I'm gonna get it, but I do. Like, here's two it's hard to be humble when you're the greatest. I've seen that in the.
Speaker 10: United States Marine Corps and it absolutely positively has to be destroyed overnight.
Speaker 3: The United States Marine Corps.
Speaker 11: Hi Gary, which is Cora and Fontana because he's a noise in the back. I'm working today at Big League Dreams Ballpark. Anyways, my daughter, who drives a Toyota, not a truck, she has a bumper sticker on her car that says, does this truck make my penis slippicker?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Boy?
Speaker 3: Only it didn't say penis, thank you?
Speaker 7: Hey Gary, it's pick and Torrents. Hey Yeah, Happy President's Day. My favorite bumper sticker that useduld be wine women in song. Now it's the beer the old lady in TV have a good one.
Speaker 3: And then this one.
Speaker 2: This was the only bumper sticker I can think of that I ever had on any car that I drove. And it was a car I inherited. My sisters drove it before me, and then I got into it when I turned sixteen. It was the car I drove for a while. I didn't get it. I mean it took me years before I realized what this bumper sticker actually meant.
Speaker 7: Hey, one bumper sticker that I saw has said that I refused to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
Speaker 2: I did not get it. I refused to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
Speaker 3: I think I was the I was the one who was unarmed. You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 2: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.