Speaker 1: Welcome to the quarre Side. Quantum Physics podcast, an exploration of the fundamental structure of reality where quantum laws govern matter, energy, and information. Here, uncertainty is a feature, not a flaw, and understanding begins of the smallest scales.
Speaker 2: Imagine you're holding like the single most powerful piece of technology.
Speaker 3: In human history, always a fun thought experiment, right, Like.
Speaker 2: A machine that's capable of simulating the molecular structure of complex life saving drugs, or cracking cryptographic codes that would take classical computer's millennia to break.
Speaker 3: Basically modeling the very fabric of the universe exactly.
Speaker 2: So you power it up, you input the variables, you get ready to change the world, and then you discover your multimillion dollar machine has the memory of a old fish.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is a That's the great paradox of modern physics right there. I mean, we spend billions developing machines with almost unimaginable computational promise, but their current hardware instability is just it's the absolute bottleneck.
Speaker 2: Because they literally forget what they're doing.
Speaker 3: Right If the processor literally forgets the math problem halfway through solving it, the theoretical power just doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: So today we're going to explore this Achilles heel of quantum computers. We're getting into the unpredictable fluctuation of quantum memory, and.
Speaker 3: More importantly, unpacking a massive new breakthrough that has accelerated our ability to measure this information loss by more than one hundred times.
Speaker 2: Which is just a staggering leap. I mean, the conversation around quantum computing usually gets bogged down in theory.
Speaker 3: Right, oh, constantly right, But the reality of engineering these devices requires confronting some incredibly harsh microscopic physics. To build a reliable machine, you have to measure its unreliability first. Makes sense, and for a long time our measurement tools were just well, they were simply too slow to see the actual problems.
Speaker 2: So let's get right into the hardware of that unreliability. For the audience listening, we all know what equib it is, and we know they operate in delicate stakes of superposition. But let's look at the physical architecture.
Speaker 3: Yeah, specifically, we're talking about superconducting quibits.
Speaker 2: Here, right. These are microscopic electrical circuits, usually made of metals like aluminium or niobium, printed on a silicon or sapphire chip, and they are cooled down to fractions of a degree above absolute zero, Yes.
Speaker 3: Around fifteen millik Elvin's to be exact, which is colder than the vacuum of deep space. That's crazy, it is, Yeah, And we do that so the electrons can pair up into what are called Cooper pairs. They flow without any electrical resistance.
Speaker 2: And that frictionless flow is what allows the quantum state to survive exactly. But clearly it doesn't survive for very long. There's this constant thread of relaxation or decoherence.
Speaker 3: Right, decoherence to the enemy.
Speaker 2: Let me flow an analogy here. If maintaining a classical bit is like laying a heavy coin flat on the table, Okay, like it takes a lot of force to flip it over, But a quibit in superposition is more like a spinning coin.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it holds both heads and tails dynamically, but eventually microscopic friction from the air or the table, you know, it SAPs its momentum and it clatters flat. It completely loses its quantum state.
Speaker 3: That captures the physics beautifully actually, and that friction causing the coin to clatter flat is what we call environmental noise.
Speaker 2: Even in a freezer that's colder than space.
Speaker 3: Even there inside a dilution refrigerator at fifteen milik Ellen's the environment is not perfectly silent. You've got stray photons wandering through the chamber, you have cosmic rays striking the outer casing. But mostly you have microscopic defects within the silicon or sapphire substrate itself. Wait really, yeah, tiny atomic imperfections called two level system defects.
Speaker 2: So the noise isn't just coming from the outside. The ship itself is inherently flawed at the atomic level.
Speaker 3: That is the insidious part of the problem. As the temperature shift slightly or electric fields fluctuate, these atomic defects within the chip actually absorb energy from the quibit. Oh wow, they act like microscopic sponges. They just suck the quantum information right out of the circuit. That's brutal, it really is. When that happens, the quibit drops out of its excited state back to its ground state. The information is gone, and in physics we measure the life stan of that memory using a metric called T one. The relaxation time, right the relaxation time.
Speaker 2: And according to Jiro and Danen, who's a professor at NTNU involved in this research, the problem isn't just that T one is short. It's that T one is wildly unpredictable.
Speaker 3: And that is the core engineering nightmare right there. I mean, if the relaxation time was uniformly short, say every quibit perfectly held its memory for exactly fifty micros, you could just work around it exactly. You could meticulously schedule your calculations to execute and finish in forty nine microseconds.
Speaker 2: But it's not a static timer, not at all. Like the life span of the memory fluctuates randomly over time. One minute, the quibbit might hold information for one hundred microseconds, and the next minute it forgets everything after like ten microseconds.
Speaker 3: Because those microscopic atomic defects in the chip, they're constantly shifting, they're coupling and decoupling with equibit. It's just a highly dynamic environment.
Speaker 2: It sounds chaotic, it is.
Speaker 3: You're basically trying to build a perplectly synchronized orchestra out of instruments that randomly change their tuning every few seconds.
Speaker 2: Okay, So if I'm an engineer trying to fix this, my very first instinct is, well, I need to observe the machine while it's running. I need to find out exactly when and why the tuning changes and fix that specific defect naturally. But this brings us to the massive roadblock that this new research published in Physical Review X finally solved, because historically scientists were essentially flying blind.
Speaker 3: They were because you know, measuring a quantum system is fundamentally different from measuring a classical system. It used to take researchers roughly a full second to measure that T one relaxation time.
Speaker 2: Now, let me push back on that a bit, because I think a lot of people might hear one second and think, well, a second is incredibly fast. Like if my laptop diagnosed a hardware error in one second, I'd be thrilled. Why is a one second measurement lag such a catastrophic bottleneck When we're measuring quantum computers, you really have.
Speaker 3: To scale your perception of time down to the microscopic round here. A single second in a quantum processor isn't a quick diagnostic check. It is an absolute eternity, and eternity Yeah, the environment around that superconducting circuit is shifting, it's vibrating, and it's changing state millions of times per second.
Speaker 2: So a one second measurement means you are just entirely missing millions of microscopic events.
Speaker 3: Yes, you're just completely missing them. But to understand why it took a full second, we have to look at the mechanics of quantum op Okay, you can't just point a continuous sensor at equibit and watch its energy fade over time. It's not like watching a battery icon drain on your phone.
Speaker 2: Right because of the observer effect. Exactly, if you look at the spinning coin, you force it to clatter flat immediately. You force it to choose a definitive state of zero or one, which destroys that delicate superposition you were trying to measure in the first place.
Speaker 3: Spot On the act of measuring the quibbot destroys the memory. So how do you find out how long the memory lasts if looking at it actually kills it.
Speaker 2: That sounds impossible.
Speaker 3: It's tricky. You have to use a statistical approach called inversion recovery.
Speaker 2: Okay, walk me through that. How does inversion recovery actually work.
Speaker 3: So you send a microwave pulse to excite the quibbit. Basically you spin the.
Speaker 2: Coin okay, coin of spinning.
Speaker 3: Then you purposefully wait for a specific duration, let's say ten microseconds. Right after exactly ten microseconds, you hit it with a measurement pulse to see if it is still spinning or if it fell flat.
Speaker 2: But that only tells you the result for that single trial. It doesn't give you the average lifespan.
Speaker 3: Correct. So you have to reset the quibit and do that exact same ten microsecond waight time thousands of times just to build a reliable probability thousands of times thousands And then you have to increase the weight time to say fifteen microseconds, and run another thousand trials. Oh my god, then twenty microseconds, another thousand trials. You painstakingly sweep through all these different weight times, plotting the probabilities until you build this beautiful, smooth, exponential decay curve, and.
Speaker 2: The slope of that curve tells you the t one relaxation time. Wow, Okay, I see the problem.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: It's not that a single measurement takes a second. It's that you have to run tens of thousands of individual excite weight measure reset cycles just to plot a single curve. And that entire ensemble process is what takes a full second.
Speaker 3: And here is where the physics really bite you. During that one second you spent gathering all those thousands of data points, the atomic defects in the chip were actively shifting.
Speaker 2: The environment was fluctuating, right, which means the curve you just claweded is basically a.
Speaker 3: Lie, or at least a massive blur.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's like trying to take a photograph of a chaotic mosh pit, but you leave the camera shutter open for a full minute.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's a great way to put it.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't see any of the individual collisions or the dynamic movement. You just get the smeared, useless blob of average motion.
Speaker 3: That is a phenomenal conceptualization. Over that one second integration time, the quibot's actual relaxation rate might have spiked and plummeted one hundred times. Wow, But your one second ensemble measurement just spits out a single smeared average. You know the memory fluctuates, but you have no idea what specific microscopic event triggered the loss in that exact fraction of a millisecond, And.
Speaker 2: If you can't see the details of the noise, you obviously can't engineer a defense against it. You just can't, which brings us to the breakthrough the t at the niels Bore Institute in Copenhagen, led by Fabrizio Barita, alongside Jero and Dan and the NTNU researchers, they basically decided that staring at a smeared mosh pit wasn't going to scale quantum computing.
Speaker 3: No, it certainly wasn't.
Speaker 2: They needed a high speed camera and they achieved something called real time adaptive tracking. They took that agonizing one second measurement window and slashed it down to roughly ten milliseconds.
Speaker 3: Which is a speed increase of more than one hundred times.
Speaker 2: That's insane. So how do you actually do that If the rules of quantum mechanics dictate that looking at the quivot destroys the state and you're forced to run thousands of trials to build that decay curve, how do you suddenly do it one hundred times faster? Do they just like buy a faster microwave pulse generator to cycle, the resets quicker.
Speaker 3: No. No, the hardware pulsing speed is already pretty much near its physical limit. The breakthrough wasn't about pulsing faster, It was about measuring smarter. Okay. They completely threw out the traditional brute force method of sweeping through all the wait times from scratch every single time. Instead, they integrated an active machine learning inspired feedback loop.
Speaker 2: Okay, break that down for me. What does the algorithm actually do differently?
Speaker 3: Think about the traditional method. You're blindly testing weight times of one microsecond, two microseconds, three microseconds, all the way up right. But if you already know from the last measurement that the Quivitt generally survives for fifty microseconds, testing a one microsecond wait time is a complete waste of physical time.
Speaker 2: Because you already know it's going to survive that long.
Speaker 3: You already know the probability is going to be near one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: Ah, So the algorithm stopped searching the entire haystack. It remembers where the needle was a millisecond ago, and only searches in that immediate vicinity.
Speaker 3: Precisely, they optimize the tracking by using what we can call a hot and cold approach. The software dynamically calculates this deepest part of the exponential decay curve, the absolute most sensitive weight time, where the probability is roughly fifty to fifty okay, and it focuses its measurement pulses almost entirely right there on that sensitive edge.
Speaker 2: I love that. It's like trying to monitor the edge of a cliff in the dark. Yes, instead of mapping the entire mountain from the base to the peak over and over again, you find the cliff edge once. Then you just take tiny steps back and forth exactly. If your foot hits air, you know the edge eroded inward. If you hit rock, you know it shifted outward. You're only probing the exact boundary of the change.
Speaker 3: And because they're only probing the boundary, they don't need thousands of data points to find the new curve. They only need a handful.
Speaker 2: That is so smart.
Speaker 3: They programmed a field programmable gate array, an ultra fast FPGA processor to capture the readout data, run a Bayesian estimation algorithm to calculate the new t one time, and instantly adjust the weight time for the very next pulse. Wow, all of that computation and physical adjustment happens entirely on the fly.
Speaker 2: Real time adaptive tracking. So instead of a one second long exposure photograph, you're taking razor sharp snapshots every ten milliseconds. Yep, you're watching the quantum system live in high definition as it breeds and fluctuates.
Speaker 3: It really represents a fundamental paradigm shift in quantum observation. For the first time, researchers can watch the relaxation rate dynamically. They can observe the peaks and valleys of the quibbet stability almost perfectly syncd with the actual environmental changes happening inside the chip, and that leads.
Speaker 2: To the ultimate So what of this whole conversation, Now that we have this ten millisecond high speed camera, how does this actually help us build a better quantum computer. No, because observing a problem is great, but it doesn't automatically fix the fact that the house of cards is falling.
Speaker 3: No, it doesn't fix it automatically, but it makes fixing it physically possible. Observation in physics is the absolute prerequisite for diagnosis. When your measurement took a full second, all the different microscopic causes of decoherence blended together. But at ten milliseconds, you can finally start correlating the rapid drops in memory stability with SPECIFCI simultaneous physical events.
Speaker 2: Oh, I see, it's about matching the time stamp of the crime to.
Speaker 3: The suspect exactly. If the T one relaxation rate suddenly plummets at exactly millisecond forty, and your other sensors detect a tiny burst of background radiation hitting the substrate at exactly millisecond forty, you have a direct correlation.
Speaker 2: Have caught them red handed?
Speaker 3: You have? You can say definitively, this specific type of cosmic ray interaction creates a phone on vibration that breaks the Cooper pairs and kills our kubit memory.
Speaker 2: And once you know exactly what is killing the memory, you can start writing the ultimate hardware path.
Speaker 3: You can engineer targeted solutions. You can design novel shielding materials that specifically absorb that exact frequency of radiation. You can design microcircuit topographies that isolate the superconducting loops from the atomic defects in the silicon. You can even write more efficient error correcting codes.
Speaker 2: Because the software will actually know the precise frequency and nature of the errors it's trying to.
Speaker 3: Correct precisely makes quantum engineering out of the dark ages of trial and error and brings it into an era of precision diagnostics.
Speaker 2: It's incredible to think about the journey here. We went from superconducting quibits that just randomly hemorrhage their memory while scientists stared helplessly through a one second.
Speaker 3: Blur, a very frustrating blur, to.
Speaker 2: The teams at NTNU and the Neils Bohr Institute leveraging active feedback loops and smart algorithms to slice that window down to ten milliseconds. They didn't just build a better sensor, they completely reimagine how to ask the quantum system a question.
Speaker 3: It's a profound reminder that in deep tech, a measurement breakthrough is often the match that lights the fuse for an engineering revolution. Absolutely without stable memory, quantum computing just remains a fascinating lab experiment. By giving engineers the ability to track and diagnose instability in real time, this breakthrough brings us significantly closer to reality altering computational.
Speaker 2: Power, and that leaves us with a truly mind expanding concept upon As we wrap up today.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's hear it.
Speaker 2: We've talked entirely about humans using this ten millisecond tracking to engineer better hardware. But what if we integrate this algorithm directly into the quantum processor's own operating system?
Speaker 3: Oh wow? Right?
Speaker 2: If a machine can now track its own memory de ka in ten milliseconds, how long will it be before it uses that real time data to predict its own information loss?
Speaker 3: That is fascinating.
Speaker 2: Could a future quantum computer sense a microscopic disturbance coming, realize its t one is plummeting, and actively course correct or reroute the calculation before the memory even disappears.
Speaker 3: Self correcting on the fly.
Speaker 2: Exactly are we looking at the dawn of self healing quantum computers?
Speaker 3: That is the frontier we are racing toward. The microscopic world is full of chaotic noise, but as we learn to see it clearly, we can learn to master it. I encourage everyone listening to keep questioning the invisible mechanisms that power our reality.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for exploring the quantum realm with us today. Keep wondering, keep asking those hard questions, and we will see you next time.