Speaker 1: Happy to report. Channel nine is saying rain will be entering the area. Will it impact flights. We're going to find out that next but in the meantime, here's your forecast. Thouty with isolated showers in highest seventy five today, over night do own of sixty seven with widespread rain. We've got a few storms along with soaking rain. Tomorrow a high seventy three overnight isolated showers and sixty three. Finally for Saturday, chance the shower shows up after eight in the morning, it'll go up to seventy six at sixty six degrees right now in time for traffic.
Speaker 2: From the u SEE Health Tramping Center with you see Health, the future of care is happening now through clinical trials and innovative treatments that give patients a chance for better outcomes. Visit ucehealth dot com. Cruise continue to work with the accident Westboud two seventy five and seventy one, but they're over on the shoulder, so no delay to get by southbound seventy one. Delayed times have dropped under the fifteen minute mark between two seventy five and the lateral southbound seventy five continues slowed through Lockmack suck Ingram on fifty five krs The Talks Station.
Speaker 1: Hey, thirty one fifty five KRC de Talk Station, ain't very happy Friday. You made extra special because he's back. I heard media aviation expert Jay Ratliffe, Jay, welcome back, my friend. Condolences on your loss. I hope you're struggling through okay with the loss of your father. It's why you weren't on last week. I missed talking with you, but I certainly understood the reason for the absence.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was, it was it was quick. As you know I've shared with you, he's it was going through dementia and he had for several years. And you know, three weeks ago he's up walking around mobile, he's talking conversational memory issues obviously, and then the last three weeks things just progressed to the point that rapidly, next thing you know, he's he's gone. And it happened last Tuesday morning at five point fifty five. But my sister, my mom, and I were all there, and you know, for me it was the first time i'd lost a parent and it uncharted waters. But you know, as I've told you, my dad taught me three main things love a family, love of country, and love of baseball. I mean, those are the three things with him that I'll always take with me. But so many memories and I'll never say why did it happen? Because look, I had him for sixty one years. Yes, he and mom have been married for sixty two and yeah, so the family's gone through some adjustments, but a lot of prayers and we can feel them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm glad. I'm glad because I obviously let my listening audience know so they could include you and their prayers.
Speaker 3: And I appreciate that very much.
Speaker 1: Happy to do it, my friend. I know what it's like to lose a father and under the same or comparable circumstances. Just that my dad decay and decline went over a period of much longer time in terms of his deterioration. So anyway, moving over, and.
Speaker 3: You were there for me, and believe me, I'll forever be appreciate it of that. Brother.
Speaker 1: Hey, friends, man, friends, what it's all about?
Speaker 3: All right? You dared me, you tried.
Speaker 2: Can you try me?
Speaker 3: If you need something, it's done, you go.
Speaker 1: That's a two way street, my friend. Absolutely, I always I tend to throw you a curveball, and on the heels of that discussion, let me let me before we get into your list of topics which are maybe a little bit headier. Researchers at the University of Cambridge, Professor Rob Miller, Cambridge's Whittle Laboratory released a suggestion and for the purposes of dealing with climate change, in an effort to get the aviation industry to get the net zero carbon emissions by twenty fifty, slow the planes down. He suggested, if you slow the flight speeds down by fifteen percent, which would add almost a full hour to every single flight, you would save fuel. You would slash fuel burned by five to seven percent. I don't think that's a good return on investment. I just want to get your reaction to slower.
Speaker 3: Well, it's a lot like if I drove slower to Savannah than I do. We could say fuel yeah, but I'm flying. So you know if obviously if you throttle back a bit, you you can save a little bit of money there. But you know, you look at I think the airline industry, by most estimates, contributes like four percent something along those lines of you know, of carbon emissions so but the thing is that their target and as as such, they're always there. People are always coming up with these crazy things. And you know, the Amsterdam Airport was talking about reducing the number of flights this year to combat the climate change, and you had airlines being told that you're going to have to monitor start monitoring your contrails so that you can we can help determine what's going on and and and there's no science behind that. So how the world are you supposed to monitor and report? I mean, it's just lunacy. And you have all of these individuals and I'm assuming well meaning, although I think some it's it's money motivated that are coming out with all of us garbage that it just you know, look, I love the idea that we have sustainable aviation fuel. If we can take you know, vegetable oil and other kinds things that we can reproduce easily and replace aviation fuel with what's being used on that's great. The problem is you can't produce it cheaply enough for it to be economically a benefit to the airline industry. So the industry is not going to go that route unless they're shoved in that direction by the governments of the world. And if they do, I guarantee you the obvious thing that's going to happen is it's going to cost more for fuel. And you know, ticket prices are going up thirty, forty fifty percent, and you know, some people say, well, that would be worth it to save the planet. I'm like, well, if we have some proven data that we actually can you know, rely on, I'm okay there, But I'm still the guy that remembers global cooling in the nineteen seventies and acid rain and all these other things that decade after decade after decade made me think I'm never going to make it to forty years of age. And now now that's exactly what a lot of these kids have. And but in their case, they have social media that can reinforce the panic. And I think that that's really creating some damage among our young people that have absolutely no confidence at all that they're going to be here at forty and fifty years of age because people are telling them the planet's about to, you know, cease to exist exactly.
Speaker 1: And don't forget the other evil, nefarious component that not only is it on social media, it's being taught in the schools. As for the curriculum now, so they are.
Speaker 3: The early age from an early age.
Speaker 1: Jiculous. Anyway, we'll continue with iHeart media aviation expert Jay Ratliffe got some interesting topics to talk with him about from his list twenty two three on forty two between Mason eleven and first though, I'm going to talk about their classes. They have a wonderful indoor range and they offer wonderful classes and including the CCW class, which is still really important if you want to travel with your firearm, constitutional carry in the law classes they offer those That was one that was done just the other night on the Empower You Use seminar. They do private training pistol first shots for those folks who've never picked up a gun before or have very little familiarity with a handgun. For example, you can get your first handgun with the experts at twenty two to three and how to shoot in the pistol for a shots class, give you some confidence countering the mass shooter, thread classes, Emergency first Aid and Trauma fundamental classes, EEDC Holster draw classes, and I'm just scratching the surface. All the classes can be found and you can even sign up online. At twenty two to three dot com the number twenty two follow by the word three spelled out. So whether you're an experienced shooter, you just want to get some high level competition level class training or again going back to the first shots class, everything in between. Get a membership option while you're there, and a massive selection of firearms. And the best people in the world are the owners of twenty two three Tel. Wendy and Jeff Brian said high again Route forty two between Mason eleven and again online at twenty two to three dot com fifty five KRC do you have em? According to Channel nine, rain come on our way. We've got isolated showers at a seventy five overnight showers arrived with widespread rain. Low sixty seven seventy three the high on Friday with a few storms along with soaking rain, overnight isolated showers sixty three Saturday is going to be a chance to rain after eighty am going up to seventy six. It's sixty six now time for traffic.
Speaker 2: From the UCL Traffic Center with u see Health. The future of care is happening now through plenty col trials and innovative treatments that give patients a chance for better outcomes. Visit ucehealth dot com. Southbound seventy five continues slow in and out of aachland, dropping close to a fifteen minute delay. Northbound seventy five under ten minute delay. Now out of Erlanger into the cut, getting better through Saint Bernard towards town Stream with just a bit of heavy traffic. Chuck Ingram on fifty five KR. See the talk station.
Speaker 3: Ever, hang around the gymnasium.
Speaker 1: Hey forty one if you've have KRCD talk station Brian Thomas with iheartbby aviation expert Jay Ratlift. I guess the airlines are preparing for yet another big time storm. Can see it right there on the radar map.
Speaker 2: Jay.
Speaker 1: I know we do hub delays last, but this kind of overlap sum doesn't it.
Speaker 3: It is and that's the big issue obviously for the day. And even though airlines are notorious and famous for a lack of customer service, I mean, if you get customer service, go buy a lottery ticket because you're having a really good day. They do a good job though, when it comes to taking care of us during irregular operations. Whether event happens, so what takes place is they see the storm coming, they're going to adjust their flight schedule because they want to do a couple of things. They want to take care of us and we accommodate us before we get to the airport, and they also want to make sure that they don't have any airplanes in it in a location that has a high wind event, because then you have the possibility of damage through debris that might hit the aircraft that would cause it to have an expensive process as far as well a being out of service, but then be of course costing of money in the process and inconveniencing a lot of passengers. So they make sure those airplanes are staged, are moved out of the affected area, so like in Atlanta and other places, they'll have minimal presence it's there. Once the storm goes through, they bring the airplanes back in. The airport has to do a series of inspections to make sure that the runways are good, the fuel farms are good, no contaminations as far as water or anything like that. There's a whole list of things that we have to go through, and then once everything checks out, it's restoring operation as quickly as possible, and airlines are good about saying, look, we've issued a weather waiver, So if you don't want to fly this week going to or through Atlanta, you want to go next week, next month, that's fine. We'll change the reservation absent of a change fee. So fortunately it's also September, and you know, we were talking about this a month ago. We're talking about tons of headaches because every flight's full. Where are you going to put people? September is a slower month, so we've got a little bit more leeway here to accommodate people that are impacted. The key is to obviously make sure the airlines have a way of knowing how to get a hold of you, so that if there's any change your itinerary, you're aware of it.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, find out immediate conditions at the end of the segment. In the meantime, apparently United Airlines passengers were injured on a plane. Well, what they are do an evasive maneuver? What's this one?
Speaker 3: We have a traffic collision avoidance system TACAST that's on every aircraft and it's considered kind of a last resort type of thing where you have a situation where if this TACAST system looks and sees that you've got two aircraft that are headed for the same location, the same airspace. It will tell one airplane to descend, it will tell the other one to pull up. And a lot of times when we board airplanes, we hear the crew testing this system. You hear the pull up, pull up, that's part of the TCAST system and they're just checking it because it's part of their pre checklist. Well, we had a flight going I believe Newark into San Francisco and they're nearing the Oakland air Space out there in San Francisco, and all of a sudden, the both crews are alerted and one crew told to ascend, the other two DCEM and crews are taught to immediately respond. You don't go, oh, where's the plane? What? No, you do exactly what you're told immediately because you're running out of time. Well, the United flight responded as did the other one, and the United flight it was a very forceful as they were adhering to the instructions and they had two passengers that were injured. Now, what I'm being told is the seat belt side was on at the time, so I don't know if somebody was up when they shouldn't have been, or if their seat belt wasn't on that caused the injury. So fortunately no one got seriously injured from what we're told, and we're going to learn from this. The Federal Abation Administration's going to look into this and figure out, Okay, how did these two airplanes get as close as they did. I don't have an exact measurement, so I'm not going to throw anything out, but anytime that t cast system is activated, it's a critical moment. And you know, thankfully Cruiser taught what to do when when it.
Speaker 1: Activates, well, it's it's said at a certain distance, what's the what is the outer distance that that would activate? How? I mean, you know, a mile way five hundred feet away? When does it go off?
Speaker 3: Well, I don't recall the specifics as far as the actual settings on the teacast. So I do know, Brian, that it came into being because we used to have a series of clear air, good weather plane collisions where we would have airplanes that were colliding with each other, and we had one over the Grand Canyon a number of decades ago that was horrific, and the thought was we've got to come up with some technology that can aid us in the ability of making sure that these aircraft don't encroach into each other's airspace, because occasionally there are times when air traffic controllers make mistakes. They're human. There's times when pilots make mistakes, because again, you can never eliminate that human air from all of that, and sadly, what takes place is that sometimes these mistakes happen. And if this automation is in place, and it is on every commercial aircraft, it's hopefully going to prevent us from having an accident that could result in the loss of hundreds of lives. And as numerous times and is great technology and I'm glad it's something that we can count.
Speaker 1: On amen to that. I guess we've got some changes coming to Southwest Airlines. What are the changes Atlanta?
Speaker 3: They're reducing their service there and they're not saying they're laying anybody off, but they said earlier this week the issue and apology employees, we've got some upcoming changes. It's going to impact some of our employees. We're sorry for what's going to happen, but it has to take place. And what they're doing is pulling out some of the service out of Atlanta, which they're really beefed up a lot over the years, and it's going to mean with the reduction of service, as many as three hundred employees or so that are going to be impacted. Now they're not saying that these people are going to be laid off, but what they're saying is the pilots, the flight attendant, mechanics, customer service people they're going to be impacted, are going to have the ability to go to another location if there's openings, and there should be. And the thought is that if they're not making as much money in that market, that is it's so difficult to make a lot of profit when you're talking about the Atlanta airport because it's dominated by a few main carriers, and unfortunately, as we know in Cincinnati, when you have a lack of real competition, it really jacks the fares up. And I'm sure Southwest is saying, we can take this aircraft and this crew to another market and we can make a lot more profit. And a lot of times I'll hear from people that'll say, Jay, I don't understand why this particular flight was canceled, because every time I flowed. It was always full. Well, full doesn't mean they made money because if they can only charge a certain amount and the yield or profit for passengers minimal, you might be making nine hundred dollars on a flight or twelve hundred dollars total profit on a flight. And if they can take that same aircraft, run it in another market, have a seventy percent load factor and recognize a profit with that of maybe three thousand dollars, it's like, we're going to do that. And there were times airlines were really reluctant to do this, but over the last several years airlines are like, look, if we're not making enough money here, we're going to take that airplane and crew somewhere else because we need to do that in essence, you know, generate as much revenue for our company as we can. And it's surprising to a lot of people the profit some of these aircraft make on these airplanes, because you know, some of these fares out of Cincinnati when you check the Cincinnati website on the deal section, some of these fairs are one hundred and fifty round trip, and that's not the whole plane. But obviously there's a number of people on there, and airlines can't make money a lot of money or profit on those kinds of fairs, which is why we should take advantage of a marriage chance.
Speaker 1: We can amen to that, Jay Ryt look and finally we will end on hub Layze. I guess Atlanta is not a good place to be right now?
Speaker 3: Can I say? Mainly only everything east of the Mississippi. I mean, that's pretty much what we're having at this point in time. If you were to draw a line from Atlanta, actually from the Panhandle of Florida up through Atlanta, Charlotte's going to be impacted to a certain degree, and we're gonna have issues up in the Philadelphia and the and that's going to continue for the next couple of days. So if you're flying west, you may think, hey, I've got it made, But if your plane is being routed through any of these particular areas that are impacted by weather, you could see flight cancelations or delays because of the fact that your plane's coming through Atlanta or from another airport and floored or something that's been impacted. So a lot of patients over the next few days.
Speaker 1: To be sure, Jay Ratlift, it is distinct pleasure to have you back on the program. I always look forward to this segment every week. It's a nice refreshing way to end a Friday eve and today, of course no different than the norm. God bless you, sir, and again condolences on your loss, and I appreciate your friendship and best of health and love to both of you, and you and your better.
Speaker 3: Half that means the words to me, Brian, Thank you much.
Speaker 1: Take care, we'll talk eight fifty to fifty five. Care see the talk station and somebody else you want to talk with. Have your roof inspected. You know, calling my friends at Fast and Pro Roofing does not come with an obligation. You can call them for a quote on a roof replacement like your example. If you got another quote from somebody else, can tell you I will be I mean, the Fast and Pro folks are really truly honest. I don't know how any roofer could perform better roofing work. And they do custom work too, like custom metal work and just some really difficult projects. And it's just gorgeous the sighting and the flashing and everything they did around my house along with the new roof. It looks just fantastic. So I can't praise them enough about the quality of roofing they do. But it starts with a free roof inspection and free quote and it will be an honest assessment. Unlike so many of the roofing companies out there, they are not interested in trying to sell you something that you do not need. That's not what they're about. They're on about honesty, and you know quite often they'll be able to solve a problem for you while they're there and buy you some additional time in terms of before you need a roof replace. But give Ray and Amanda a call. Got a veteran owned company, a female owned company, and the best roofers in the business, a plus with a better business field, been around since nineteen ninety nine. Count on me and I'm my recommendation. You get work done by then you are going to be happy about it. Five one three seven seven even four ninety four ninety five five one three seven seven four ninety four ninety five. Fasten f A S T E. And Fasten proroofing dot Com fifty five k R C