Speaker 1: Welcome to Veterans Chronicles. I'm Greg Corumbus. Our guest in this edition is Darren Walton. He's a US Marine Corps veteran of the Vietnam War, during which he was involved in recon missions, often serving as the point man. He is also the author of D D MAO, a true story about tigers, rock, apes, the Jungle and War. And mister Walton, thanks so much for being with us.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: Where were you born and raised?
Speaker 3: Sir?
Speaker 4: I was born in San Francisco and pretty much raised across the Golden Gate Bridge north of San Francisco in a county called Marin County, which was a pretty rural at the time, and it was out of the city, but San Francisco is the closest city, and it's not too far from where I'm at right now.
Speaker 1: And have there been a history of military service in your family?
Speaker 2: Yeah, has been.
Speaker 4: My father was a Marine in World War Two in the Battle of Okinawa, and I didn't know until after he died, going through the closet through his possessions that I found that he'd been shot and had a purple heart in that battle, and that he had a brother, my uncle who was named after who was what they call a Carlson Raider in Marine Corps history, they're kind of a separate group of individuals that were handpicked to do what we ended up.
Speaker 2: Doing being rangers basically.
Speaker 4: So they were the first Ranger Battalion and they did some really nasty work in Pacific Islands.
Speaker 1: Were you drafted or did you enlist in the Marine Corps?
Speaker 2: That's a story.
Speaker 4: I was going to college and I wasn't able to I was out of high school and here in Marin County's we're pretty free, and so when I was going to college, I didn't maintain a certain grade point average, just as before the draft, and I was to be drafted in the Army. And what happened was I decided to go look at the Marine Corps because they had a program special service program for athletes, and I thought maybe I could be a runner on the Marine Corps track team. And I almost qualified and they actually accepted me to be an athlete for the Marine Corps. And so I joined the Marine Corps thinking I would be a track star traveling the world representing the Marine Corps.
Speaker 2: And what happened was my times.
Speaker 4: Are good and they're just borderline, but they thought with training and coaching that I could be a pretty good runner. And so what happened They found that I didn't have enough years and to be on special services, so they asked me to join up for a couple more years. And after going through boot camp and being part of the Marine Corps for the short period of time that I was there, I decided I thought maybe I'd go back to college, and they go, you know, that's not going to work for us, and so they volunteered me to become a ranger what they call it recon ranger, so it's a volunteer force. I didn't really volunteered, but that's where I ended up. So that's how I ended up in the Marine Corps.
Speaker 1: Now you mentioned boot camp. Marine Corps boot camp is pretty famous for not exactly being a resort, So how did you deal with that and what do you remember most about that challenge.
Speaker 4: I had been a county champion in distance running in cross country and track, and I was one of the better runners in the state and competed in some marathons, and so I was in pretty good shape when I went to boot camp, and I thought that the boot camp really wasn't that challenging. I could climb their open ten minutes. I could run the course. It's a three mile course, and I was running in under sixteen minutes.
Speaker 2: So I got a little cocky, you know.
Speaker 4: I could do fifty push ups, and I'd give him an extra ten for later on, put it in the bank for me because I know I'm going to be doing some more later on. And they were frustrated with me because of my physical conditioning was far superior than anybody in my platoon. They even got so frustrated that on the three mile run that they put sand in my pack and still had me go run. And I still lead and win the three mile course. And the whole concept of being in the military Marine Corps especially is you stay with your platoon, and you stay with the slowest guy, and you're no better than the slowest guy on your team.
Speaker 2: Of course I had to go show off. Eventually.
Speaker 4: It put me in what they call a motivation platoon, and I was in it for one week. I came out of motivation platoon. They did break me, and I was a good little Marine, and I learned how to polish my boots and polish my brass starts my uniform, and I learned what being a good marine was. If you think you can get through without getting broke. They broke me eventually.
Speaker 1: Yes, I love the euphemistic title there, of the motivation. They found some way to get to you physically. Wasn't going to do it. They always find something, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was what they call sleep deprivation, and they had me to do it. They had me breaking rocks and putting them in a bucket and piling make it, you know, taking them across the you know, the field and making a rock pile. And then I'd get back to my rack after you know, chow and go to sleep, and the new drill structure have come in and say, you didn't want that rock pile there? Who gave me orders to put it there? Put it back to where it was? And so I was doing that all night and all day, and uh, I figured that if I was ever going to get out of there, I'd better learn how to be a marine.
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 4: They broke me. It was pretty I didn't think. I thought I was tougher than that, but the Marine Corps they have ways.
Speaker 1: So at what point did you after basic training move towards recon ranger training. How soon was that?
Speaker 4: Well, let's see, I went to from San Diego, ended up going to Camp Pendleton, and then I was thrown into a recon training group. And these guys were pretty focused individuals. I like being with them because they were tough, they liked the challenge. They're in great shape physically, they were as good as anybody that I ran into. And I could hang with them and they could hang with me, and they're very competitive.
Speaker 2: I enjoyed that part.
Speaker 1: What did the training consist of?
Speaker 2: Oh boy, A lot of running, well you ready for that.
Speaker 4: A lot of what they call wrecking where you have a backpack about sixty pounds and you go on these long what they call you hump all day up these mountains and hills in the desert.
Speaker 2: And Camp Pendleton.
Speaker 4: We would do some swimming, a lot of repelling, you know, different all kinds of different schools. We'd already gone your boot camp, So the challenges that we had now was mostly honing our skills to be rangers, and that would be going to the range, learning how to do demolition work. They would have courses for us to complete where they've tried to ambush us in certain situations. They would give us situations and see how we handle them. They had a lot of psychological programs where they'd put you in a situation just to see how you'd react. They would use live fire, crawling under constantine, or bob wire, and they want to make sure that you could handle the stress and pressure. We did fifty mile hikes with the backpack full gear, and so we just was mostly just learning skills. After boot camp.
Speaker 1: Did most guys make it through or was there a pretty high attrition rate there.
Speaker 2: By the time I was with the group.
Speaker 4: Actually, they're pretty desperate for men at that time, so I don't think they lowered their standards, but the standards aren't as high as they are today. And that's the one thing that I found was all the men I was with psychologically they were tough. They were guys that were a lot.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: I lived in a bubble in this county called Brinn County, north of San Francisco, where life was really easy.
Speaker 2: I was just you know, as a kid would I do.
Speaker 4: I went out surfing, I went out spear fishing, I went skiing up in the mountains. I was backpacking, hiking, camping. You know, I had so much freedom, and I was really enjoying life. Were the guys I was working with had. I heard stories about them having to get up at four or five in the morning and go milk cows and do a lot of chores before they even went to school in the morning. They would the Midwest kids guys were pretty tough. Then there were the guys from the South. They were poor. The guys from the South. And there's some black guys on the team from from Baton Rouge and some my team leader eventually was from Baton Rouge. And hearing their stories in the summer, in the heat, and you know, and the jobs that they did was pretty horrendous compared to what would I do. I served and had bonfires on the beach and drank beer in case you smoked the doobie.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: And so hanging with these guys, I learned that the life for me was pretty good and for other guys in the Marine Corps. The Marine Corps wasn't that tough for them, because like me, they had a lot tougher boot camp for them, getting up at five in the morning, and I mean, you go to chow hall, for instance. They didn't mind the food they enjoyed, you know, the food, and I'm looking at the food and I'm wondering.
Speaker 2: What I'm eating.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't you know they called it so os ship on the Shingle uh. And you know, I didn't know what chip beef was, and I didn't think it was that great. But these guys loved it, and they would eat anything, and they had an appetite. And I'm going, I'm being a little picky, like, why would you eat this stuff here? Because where I live, we get fresh fruit and vegetables and fish from the ocean. You know, I wasn't used to eating that kind of food, so I was a little spoiled. And I learned real quick that I was living in a bubble. Where I grew up.
Speaker 1: I had a good When were you sent to Vietnam in I was.
Speaker 4: Sent to Vietnam in nineteen sixty nine, the end of sixty nineteen sixty nine, and I spent thirteen months in Vietnam.
Speaker 1: That's Darren Walton, a US Marine Corps veteran of the Vietnam War. Mister Walton was a Special Forces Marine who often served as point man on a reconnaissance team. Still to come in this first half of mister Walton's story of service. He will explain how the Jungles of Vietnam were another enemy that his team had to contend with every single day, from the mud and muck to alternatively sweltering and freezing on many days, razor sharp foliage, and even dangerous animals, including these so called rock apes that are often classified as folklore in official accounts of the war, but they were very real. Walton will also take us inside critical life and death decisions that had to be made within just a few seconds. But up next, Walton tells us how the six man recon teams were assembled, how they functioned in Vietnam, and what their objectives usually consisted of. Stay with us. I'm Greg Corumbus and this is Veterans Chronicles sixty Seconds of Service.
Speaker 3: This sixty seconds of Service is presented by T Mobile. T Mobile offers exclusive discounts for a veteran and military families and are proud supporters of the National Defense Network. Visit t mobile dot com slash military to learn more about how they support our military community. As some know, war often follows veterans home long after a conflict ends. The co founder of Burn pits. Three sixty, an organization focused on helping veterans exposed to toxic chemicals, wants to invite the public to their fundraiser to help those vets cope. I feel great about it. If anything, it helped prolong my life for my family and my kids, Warred Suarez, a CORPUS Christy Army veteran, said. Suarez said he was exposed to burn pits when he was deployed in a rag back in twenty ten, and he's had health problems ever since then. Today's sixty seconds of Service is brought to you by Prevagen. Prevagen is the number one pharmacist recommended memory support brand. You can find Prevagen and the Vitamin Aisle in stores everywhere.
Speaker 1: This is Veterans Chronicles. I'm Greg Corumba's our guest this week is Darren Walton, a US Marine Corps veteran of the Vietnam War who often served as point man on a reconnaissance team. Walton now picks up his story, explaining how those teams were assembled and deployed.
Speaker 4: Well, I was put into a team that had been in the bush for quite a while, and I filled a hole, and so originally I was what they call a secondary radio man, so a recon team, everyone knows how to do everyone's job, and they know how to do it fairly well. So I was a radio man for a short period of time, and I found that that wasn't a real comfortable position in the fact that I was getting shot at a lot because I had a radio with an antenna walking through the jungle and I was.
Speaker 2: A walking target.
Speaker 4: Eventually a position came open as a point man, and after a couple of patrols, I became a point man because of the team leader. He was the serget kind of trusted me and we worked together really really well. Now we were putting You know, you have a company. I was an echo company. In each an echo company you had six man teams and then they would insert a quorman on a patrol. And in a company there was like four or five different teams. So the company is really really small.
Speaker 2: And put in a.
Speaker 4: Hooch with all these guys and you're with each other twenty four to seven. You have to learn to get along with one another, and occasionally, because of the geography of where we came from, that was hard to do. You know, the guys I was with they like to drink Jack Daniels wild Turkey. I was from the West Coast, and I like beer and smoking a joint once in a while.
Speaker 2: And I was.
Speaker 4: Considered a dope addic, a drug addict, and a hippie. And I'd listened to Jimmy Hendrix and they were listening to some country Western music or motown music, and their conversations would be, you know, how they you know, what kind of a what they call a funny car or something, I forget what they call them, these racing cars. What kind of car do you have, Darren? I got a pretty I got a VW with a sunroof, and I got a surfboard.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: So they couldn't comprehend where I was coming from. And I didn't understand what wrenching on a car was, or what a dual carburetor was, or you know, you know, fuel injection was, you know, and they're talking about racing muscle cars is what they call them, you know, and uh, and so we there's some disconnects on the you know, in the rear, but in the jungle, after it's all said and done, they didn't care, and I didn't care what their belief system or politics, were we could trust one another, and we became Once you go into jungles a few times and the stress of combat and you survive an ambush or a firefight, you you start getting a little spiritual and you look at each other and go and each one of us has proven to each other that we would be there for each other no matter what. So it's a badge of honor. Eventually, after you've been on a few missions that you can trust one another. And when you developed that trust, that bond. Geographics, religion, color doesn't matter. We're all we're all in this together and we all love each other. And we're dysfunctional family back in the rear, but in the jungles we were focused and nobody let each other down, never, not once.
Speaker 1: So after all that training and building the camaraderie in the unit, what's it like to go out on that first mission known this is this is the real thing, especially the first time you met the enemy.
Speaker 4: Well, it's a ritual actually, And you watch these guys on your first mission, and you're watching them and they're painting themselves up, and they all have a particular way of they think their artists or something, and they have a particular way of painting their faces up that's going to keep them camouflaged in the jungle. And I had no idea what my face was going to be painted like, so I had to come up with a traditional way that they could recognize me with my pain on. So and I noticed on every patrol that their faces were always painted differently, but they always painted each other. Each one had the same markings the way they painted themselves up. And they were quiet, and it was almost like a ritual, and you could tell that they were someplace else. So I was excited. The adrenaline was really high because now I get to prove myself and they wouldn't talk to me, They wouldn't have much to do with me. They didn't know if I was going to fit in or not, and so they kind of ignored me. And I had to go out and in the jungle. And you know, we had missions, and we were told what our mission might be, and I think my first mission was to go scout out a staging camp behind enemy lines and gather information intel on how big the staging camp was, how many North Vietnammese Army soldiers were there, how long they've been there, with their morale was like if their clothes were clean or dirty, if their boots are shiny or not, and it was so it was mostly just a reconmission to take the gather information. So it didn't look like it was going to be a very difficult mission. So after you know, we complete our mission, to go to a debriefing, and nobody had any problems with me. So I had you know, you know, I didn't freak out or I didn't show it that I had fear, even though there was I was. You got the adrenaline rushi and then that the fear, and you got all these emotions, and it's like, uh, you have to learn to control it, you know. And I remember my first mission, and I remember second. I remember the first time I was in combat. I was scared. I was really scared. And the guys I was with had been you know, I'd been shot at for many missions before me, and I wondered how come they weren't afraid like I was so afraid. But apparently, as I found out later, that fear never goes away. Able to put it in their back pocket and deal with the mission.
Speaker 1: That's Darren Walton, a US Marine Corps veteran of Vietnam, where he often served as point man on a recon team. When we come back, Walton talks about his first recon missions in Vietnam. I'm Greg Corumbus and this is Veterans Chronicles. This is Veterans Chronicles. I'm Greg Corumbus. Our guest in this edition is US Marine Corps veteran Darren Walton, who often served as point man on a reconnaissance team. In a moment, he will explain how the jungle in Vietnam was an enemy to Americans all by itself. But we now pick up Walton's story as he describes what a recon point man had to be looking out for.
Speaker 4: Mostly we were in their backyard, so there weren't as many pungee pits or booby traps, and they weren't trying to set up to ambushes because they wouldn't think that there'd be a team like us out there. And so if we got spotted out there, I haven't had screwed up somehow, because you're not supposed to be spotted, and we're usually we're breaking brush and not on the trails. But many times you can't get through the jungle because of these vines to call them. Wait a minute, vines. You're getting tangled up and in the heat and the mud and the muck, and you're climbing over giant roots and slipping and sliding on these hills, and you're exhausted and you haven't even gotten close to your mission yet, to where you need to be. And so you find a trail, and when you walk the trail, then you have to become spider man. All your spider senses have got to click in, you know, and they do. And it's amazing how we don't use our senses unless we really need to. And as a point man, I could see things, I could hear things, I could smell things way beyond the time. You know, you just get suspicious, and so I am. I did find some pungy pits. I did run into an ambush occasionally, and I found you know, I knew it was an ambush before it happened, because I was that good. But the problem was is when you ran into another patrol out there and you make point to point contact, that's where it gets exciting. And there's nothing I can do about that. They're quiet, we're quiet. They're doing their job. We're doing ours. And all of a sudden, we're bumping into one another. And that happened on occasion more times than none. And so now it's up to your team. How good your team is to handle the contact and everything. Everybody's got to work in unisons, and they got your reflexes have got to be keen, and everybody has to know what they're supposed to do in a certain situation. And as a point man, I would yell out D D and put a couple of rounds out there. I walked with what they call an M seventy nine grenade launcher with the shotgun round in it, so I had only one round. So when I came to point point contact, I didn't aim so much and it spent any time aiming and not worried about being on automatic. And the team would set up a perimeter once I made contact, and they knew exactly what to do to give me time to put what they call a white phosphorus grenade into the M seventy nine. It's called the blooper, and I bloop a kind of like a hand grenade over their heads and make a smoke screen. It would be hard to penetrate that smoke because it would be burned. It would burn through you. It wants it hits your skin, it starts penetrating the skin and the only way to keep it from burning is from keeping oxygen from that wound, and it's almost impossible, which gave us time to re evaluate the situation and get out of there, and the radiomen would start making contact saying that we made contact and that could there be an LZ around that we could meet the extraction choppers and get us out of there, and we'd be chased.
Speaker 2: Beautiful teamwork.
Speaker 1: And for those who don't know, your mission was not to engage. The end of your missions were generally to capture people or discover information or discover locations and that sort of thing, and so it's really about the gathering of intel.
Speaker 4: It's a gathering of intel. And a lot of our missions were what they wanted us to do was do what they call prisoner snatch or they get more specific and say we need an officer, and we need you go into a base camp and kidnap high ranking officer and preferably to officers if we could. And most of those missions failed, and on occasion when we were successful in a mission, it would put us on the chart where we get back to the rear, back to headquarters. We'd get like a week in lead to go to what they called China Camp or China Beach. I said, say and have cold beer and listen to some good music and hang out. It's like a little many R and R. But most of the time our job was to gather intelligence and or try to capture somebody that's out there.
Speaker 1: So yeah, well, you tell one very gripping story in the book about one of those missions and your team was able to capture a figure, but unfortunately, as you were leaving the area, he was hit and he became a hindrance to the speed with which you could get out, and so you had difficult decisions to make.
Speaker 4: That still haunts me a little bit today. My patrol leader, the Serge, and that I changed his name in that chapter, but his name was Michael, and we just talked about that and we've been in touch. It's been really a wonderful situation where where we've not talked to each other for fifty plus years and it's like we never missed a beat. And we talked about that particular mission because it kind of haunted him and the lieutenant was with us at that time. He was tough and it bothered him. And I'd let them know that they made a decision that saved our lives, the team life, and that what they did they shouldn't be haunted by it. It's war, and if they didn't do what they did, I wouldn't be here talking to you today, and I wouldn't have written that book. So I made it knowing that that decision that they made had to be really a tough decision. And there's other teams that didn't make that kind of a decision. Even later on. There are some books. Loan Survivor was a good example of a Navy Seal team that had to make a decision like that with some children, and they let the children go and the whole team was killed, you know, because of that mistake. But the deal was, when you kill somebody, you know, you don't know if it's a moral situation, if you did the right thing or not. In a way, I look at it morally, they did the right thing. If they didn't do that, we would We only had seconds to get out of there. We were being chased, and we couldn't keep the guy with us much longer. You can't leave him there to give our position away. You can't shoot him because the noise would give the position away. The korman had to make decisions on how to maybe off him with morphine, and he needed that morphine for us in case we looked like we were going to be in another firefight, and so using our k bars, we had to do a nasty job. And I'm so proud of these guys, the lieutenant and the sarge, for making that decision. And I'm letting them know today that I know they struggle with this, put it that way, and it happened more times than that. I was only nineteen years old, putting kids in that situation and have to live with it.
Speaker 2: But that's war.
Speaker 1: We're talking here with Darren Walton. He's a US Marine Corps veteran of the Vietnam War, involved in reconmissions, often as the point man. The book is D D Mal a true story about tigers or rock apes, the jungle, and war. And we'll get to two more specific missions a little bit later in our conversation. But another adversary really in all of this is the jungle itself, and you spend a chapter on that from the razor sharp grass, to the oppressive humidity, and just being wet all the time. Talk about how difficult that was, what bothered you the most, and how you persevered through it.
Speaker 4: Well, the jungle was one of those places, which it was still today a mystery to me. It's a living organism, a true living organism. It's alive. We have no business as human beings penetrating that entity. It's a triple canopy jungle in the highlands. I've never experienced ever anything that excruciating.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: As tough as I was, and these guys who are on my team were even tougher than me, they almost gave up because of the jungle. And when we got into a firefight or met the enemy, that was almost a relief for the moment. The pain wasn't there of what the jungle put us through. You had mud and muck. The heat would penetrate that jungle, and the steam would come up from this moist, muddy floor.
Speaker 2: They would rain.
Speaker 4: Every day, and you're constantly wet. You have these fire ants dropping down behind your back biting you. You'd have leeches crawling all over you, mosquitoes buzzing you all day long. The razor grass bamboo type of a razor grass would cut through your We had gloves on and it would just shred your gloves. And you're getting twisted all the time in these vines and you get tangled up in these vines and you're fighting them. So you're taking your k bar out and you're cutting the vines out, which is physically it doesn't seem like much, but those vines were tough. They're like cutting cord. And so you're constantly twisting and turn learning and cutting and trying to step and not slip, and also watch out that you're not going to get ambush if the enemy can't get to you. You have monkeys out there and the trees. You have elephants that are going through that jungle. You see either dune, and they're moving through the jungle a lot faster than we are. Sometimes we'd follow their trails and we can make a lot more movement, faster movement. But all in all, at night we'd be so tired that didn't matter what the temperature was, how wet you were, how exhausted you were.
Speaker 2: You just pass out and.
Speaker 4: Then they'd wake you up for what they call radio watch, and you'd stay up for an hour and a half or so and have to listen to the radio and with command, know that you're still alive. But the jungle, the bugs, the insects, the snakes, you name it. It had it all. And the heat was just it would get up to one hundred degrees in the jungle, which doesn't sound like a whole lot, sometimes a little hotter, but it was the humidity that kills you. And then at night it would drop down to seventy at night and you'd freeze because you're wet, and the wind would come up a little bit and the rain would come in a little bit, and you'd cuddle up with your buddy. And this is something a lot of kids don't understand about war. It's not so romantic as you think it is. You're not out there being Arnold or Rambo. You know, it's not like that at all. It's trying to survive. And so you find your buddy and you curl up with them, put a poncho liner around you and him and try to stay warm even though it's seventy degrees and you're freezing.
Speaker 2: Go figure, huh oh. Yeah. Still to this day, I talk about the jungle.
Speaker 1: Did they drop agent orange where you were?
Speaker 4: I saw I have photos later on of the jungle and agent orange was dropped out there in certain areas, what they call certain clicks out there, and it looked like a fire had gone through it, like a forest fire had gone through the jungle, opened it up so that you could travel through the jungle and you could see quite a ways away, and if there was any enemy around, they'd be exposed. But on the other hand, we look like a forest fire without any charcoal, without any burnt And yeah, the agent orange destroyed the jungle, really did poison it and open it up, and we did see that.
Speaker 1: Or any guys in your company affected by the effects of that.
Speaker 4: I think as we get older, there's a few of us that, fortunately I seem to be really healthy, but a lot of guys that I know have got cancer problems all at the same time, all the same type of cancer. Some of their children have defects because I think the agent orange had something to do with the DNA. If you look at your statistics, it wasn't that long after we all came home. I think the numbers, the government numbers, were that there were about three hundred thousand American combat troops that had died of Agent Orange, and that's the government number. I don't think that's the true numbers. I think that's probably a little bit low. And how many more are going to die of agent Orange? It's hard to say, but I think at the time it seemed like a good thing to open up the jungles so that we could get through them, so the enemy couldn't hide.
Speaker 2: But I don't know.
Speaker 4: I look back now and a lot of my buddies are affected by Agent Orange.
Speaker 1: Yes, let's talk a little bit more about the animals. You mentioned the monkeys a moment ago, and it's interesting in the book that the more monkeys you heard, the better you felt, because the enemy liked to eat them, and so you k know if you could hear them, the enemy probably wasn't nearby trying to have them for dinner. The other story that I think is fascinating that people are going to want to hear, and I'm sure you already know what I'm going to say, the rock apes. You were tipped off cryptically of out them back at Camp Pendleton, but you didn't really know what they were until you did.
Speaker 4: That was our serage, our gunny sergeant who was training us, and he was a tough little guy and been he'd been in the jungles, and he liked us because we performed so well and he enjoyed working with tough, high performance individuals. And he was giving us a little pep talk and he goes, you guys are going to be where I was, and you're going to be in the jungles. And he goes, I have no problems with you. You guys can be good soldiers, and I know most of you guys are gonna make it through. But he goes to one thing I want you not to do and listen to me, and I'm not kidding, don't fuck with the rock apes. And we bust out laughing, like what are you talking? You know, and we made we mocked them a little bit about that, and we heard rock ape stories and a lot of the rock ape stories were like a Bigfoot story, you know, just a myth. And when we got to Vietnam, a lot of us asked about the rock apes and that was a mystical animal.
Speaker 2: It didn't exist.
Speaker 4: But I had run into a few rifle teams out there, grunts we call them, who told me personally they'd run into some rock apes and that they were harassed by them. And I started thinking, wow, where was this and they told me, you know what area, and I go, wow, We're going in that area in another day or two. By god, we ran into the rock apes. And there are only two locations in Vietnam where they were spotted. And some of the grunts even today, I run into them. They know when we talk rock apes, they go, yeah, we messed with them, but hardly anybody in the military. And if you google rock apes, it's a joke. They say they don't exist, and that's not true. They do exist. And unless you're a marine that was in these areas, you would never heard or seen.
Speaker 2: A rock ape before.
Speaker 4: There's a few of us said yeah, we ran into them, and we had to be emergency evacuated because we were chased by them in middle of the night. The noise that they're making, and the rocks and mud and logs and they're picking up anything in tossing them at us. And they tossed underhanded, not overhanded, and it was raining down on us these branches and logs and rocks, and we had to call for an emergency extraction and they pulled us out and we had to go to a brief a debriefing, and it was a tough one because they wanted to know the reason we got, you know, extracted, was because of we thought our lives were endangered. And they go, well, how many enemy were there? Well, they weren't really enemy. Were they VC or were they NVA? No, they weren't VC or NVA. Well what were they there? They're rock games. They're trying to tell us that we spent how many thousands of dollars sending a helicopter to extracts you guys out because of monkey and we're trying to explain it. But they just weren't monkeys, and they go, what were they then? If they weren't a monkey? And so we were kind of on, you know, we were kind of laughingstock for a while. But other teams came back from patrols and the debriefings were the same that they had run into or saw rock apes. So they do exist. But if you google it, they'll say it's a big foot that and everybody sees this big foot out there, but that's not true. These things are only about four and a half feet at the highest and tough, just tough Little Critters.
Speaker 1: That's Darren Walton, a US Marine Corps veteran of Vietnam, where he served on a recon team, often as point man. He's also the author of d d MAO, a true story about Tigers, rock Apes, the Jungle and War. Be sure to listen to the conclusion of Walton's story in our next edition, as he describes the most intense combat of the war, harrowing escapes from almost certain death, and coming home to a nation that despised the war and prompted him to hide his service for more than forty years. Don't miss it. I'm Greg Corumbus. Thanks for listening to Veterans Chronicles. Hi, this is Greg Corumbus and thanks for listening to Veterans Chronicles, a presentation of the American Veterans Center. For more information, please visit American Veteranscenter dot org. You can also follow the American Veterans Center on Facebook and on Twitter. We're at AVC update. Subscribe to the American Veterans Center YouTube channel for full oral histories and special features, and of course, please subscribe to the Veterans Chronicles podcast wherever you get your podcasts. Thanks again for listening and please join us next time. Four Veterans' Chronicles