Speaker 1: All right, let's get the eight am hour started.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 1: It is Kentucky and it's Morning News with Coffee and Company on News Radio eight forty whas as you heard there in the News Update with John Shannon, we now know the identity of the of the suspect that took two lives yesterday at a church while service was going on. But that wasn't where it started. He initially was pulled over by law enforcement at about eleven thirty and then open fire on that officer, injuring the officer. Then he carjacked someone and then made his way to a church. So we now know who that person is and the identity is. I mean, I don't know how important it is to certain I mean it's clearly a piece of news. I'm not acting like nobody should care. But another reminder just how much we politicize everything, because there are so many that are just wired to let to just want to know. Okay, Can I blame this on the Democrats? Can I blame this on the Republicans for this happening? And it's not everyone that acts that way. And to remind myself more often that the loud, the extremists, they don't represent the majority. But then again, you hear from them a lot because I know people who I don't necessarily agree with at all politically, but I'm friends with them, and I don't look at them as bad people, and whenever something awful happens, I don't think, well, can I blame this on their political side, like that's just I still think that's very unusual. But maybe I'm the one that's wrong. But again, just a tragic situation, a national story that of course is right here in our home state, and just a tragic situation all the way around. Also a scare yesterday at the fairgrounds, as there was a thread of an active aggressor at both Kentucky Kingdom and also at the Run for the Roses basketball tournament, where forty thousand people were on hand, as it's the biggest girls basketball tournament in the world, brings a lot of people here to Louisville, and of course gives a lot of dollars to our businesses, and I would hope that what took place yesterday doesn't change anything for that event moving forward. I don't anticipate that it will, and I don't see why it would, but certainly it's just a bummer knowing that it could have been a weekend where the energy and by the way, the weekend was great as far as just the energy, you could tell there's a lot of people in town. It just felt like we had some big events going on, not only with the the ISCO Championship at the Hrsborne Country Club as mentioned, you have this golf, this basketball tournament that's been going on for many years and seems to get bigger every year, some soccer action. So it felt like a big weekend with some good energy to where you just feel as if, you know, Louisville was kind of the place to be for a lot of folks. And I would hate if you were experiencing Louisville for the first time and you liked it and then you were there yesterday when there was chaos, because there's probably people who assumed that there was. I mean, I don't know how again, I'm if you put yourself in the shoes of somebody there, I can't imagine anybody would take that lightly as if that it wasn't real. I mean, I don't know. I mean, if you are someone that reacted as if, yeah, it's probably just a a false alarm. I don't need to. I don't need to take cover. But I'll just let you know what am I gonna do. I'm just gonna let this thing play out. I mean, you would have been right, but you also were probably somebody that doesn't pay attention to see how often these kind of things do happen. Unfortunately. I wish we could go back to it being super shocking and super you know, just rare, but it's not when you have people who I mean again, when you look at what took place in Lexington. I mean, heck, I had even thought of this. I wouldn't be shocked. If there's people that were at this event at the fairground yesterday that maybe haven't been keeping up with what went on in Lexington other than just the headlines, and maybe they're thinking that somehow that's connected. I mean, you never know, but yeah, just a scary situation all the way around. So they are going to resume that tournament today, which I'm very happy that they're doing that, But there are some teams that have decided to just go ahead and and and call it and not participate moving forward, and some coaches that were there recruiting at the college level at least one of them went on social media to say that they they're they're happy that everything is okay, but they're gonna they refuse to normalize the experience. I think that's one coach I saw that put that out there, and I understand what he means by that. So again, good, it's good that nothing nothing happened, nobody was hurt, but one just an unfortunate situation all the way around. And I don't think maybe I'm wrong here, I don't think people realize when you go through that experience, Yes, you're fine and at the end of the day, nothing like your kids are safe, nobody was harmed, but that kind of a scare in that situation can leave such a such a I mean, it's trauma, quite literally, because it's just a level of fear and helplessness that I hope people never experience. But whenever you you know, you hear of a gunshot going off when you're somewhere, or you there's a report of something like that happening, I mean, you know, I don't think anybody knows how they'll react until they're in that situation, and certainly not everyone reacts the same to every situation. But I can tell you I was. I was near where somebody got two people got shot and killed, not that long ago, about three years ago, And I mean, it's just something I don't think you can, you know, and I hope you never have to experience it. But for me, you know, it's trauma. And obviously you also try to balance the the other side, which is, wow, how lucky am I because nothing happened to me. I'm safe, my kids are safe, my family's safe, and two people lost their lives and oh that's tragic, but man, I'm so lucky, Thank you so much God, and then like that. But that's not normal. That's not a normal experience for a lot of people when it comes to experiencing something like that. So yesterday, again no guns found, no legitimate shots were fired, and it sounds like there wasn't even an active aggressor. It was just a false alarm. But having that moment of not knowing, and especially if your kid's out there playing and everybody's running every which way, nobody knows where everybody is, that's a scary experience. They can have a traumatic impact on you. So again it's good that nothing ended up happening, but still just unfortunate all the way around. All right, we'll talk about what Andy Bisheer said yesterday, because he did an interview with Meet the Press and was asked about a lot of things, including a potential run at president. We'll get to that in a lot more, but first let's get an update on traffic from Bobby Ellis, and we'll get you caught up on Matt Melosovich's forecast from WLKY. It is Kentucky and it's Morning News with Coffee and Company on News Radio eight forty whas Kentucky Governor Andy Bisheer appeared on NBC's Meet the Press on Sunday morning, and it was probably one of his most I feel like direct national interviews where he wasn't I mean, it just seemed as if it was a lengthier conversation on the national platform than we're used to with Andy Bysheer. But as you could expect, he shared his thoughts which he's not at all been shy about when it comes to the big beautiful Bill, and he's been critical of what it's going to do for those here in Kentucky. He warned of a fallout at the Toyota plant in Georgetown, mentioned that two hundred thousand Kentuckians could lose healthcare, twenty thousand healthcare workers could be laid off off, talked about the potential chances of closure, hospitals closing. He didn't go as far as and I don't know if if Andy is one that did it, but it was a little insane when the when the Big Beautiful Bill did passed to where you just automatically killed off However many people, well there goes They're all dead. And it was just quite literally the most over exaggerated thing. And even if like that does end up happening, you have no way of predicting the amount of people who will lose their lives really over anything. But it's sensationalizing it and it's a great example of the left doing what the right does, which the right does a lot with the left does and they point fingers and when in the reality is they all they do a lot of the same stuff. They just do. So his comments on the Big Beautiful Bill and what Trump's going to potentially do for the economy, good or bad, not at all surprised to hear what he had to say, but he did say something that I think is is I mean is true, is that when it comes to these natural disasters that have and like flooding, tornadoes, those kind of things. I mean, these should not be politicized. But everything, of course is politicized in the current climate, and I don't really see any time soon when that changes. But I just I'm glad to know that I don't instantly think of, Okay, look at this scumbag. Is he is he a lefty? Or is he? You know?
Speaker 3: Is he?
Speaker 1: Is he maga? I mean again not to say that that information like is something we shouldn't know about or care about, but that being the first thing you want to know lets me know that you're a little more into that stuff than I am. And look, that's not judgment on my end. Maybe you're better off than me. I'm just being honest with you. But when asked about running for president, he didn't give any real He didn't give any real direct answer. He didn't rule it out, he didn't really answer it, to be honest with here's the quote. I will not leave a broken country to my kids or to anyone else. If I believe that I can heal the country, then I'll take a look at it. He emphasized a message of unity read versus Blue more about jobs being good for all Americans and that I think that does resonate with a lot of people, But I don't know. I again, can I tell you what I think that means. I don't think it's I think it means yes, but not right now. That's what I think, meaning like, yes, he's gonna do it, but now it's not the time to get there just yet. Yes, the way I interpret that for some reason, and it's just my gut, and my gut's not great. My gut just tells me that he will not run. But I'm basing that literally off of nothing other than just rapid decision. Having to make a guess because if he does end up running, I won't say that I'm going to be shocked, and I don't you know, I'm not. I could see him being you know, he he is somebody that as much as you know, this may this may bother some people who just are so anti anything Democrat. I mean, he unless something's changing. It might have changed because of his recent comments. I don't know, but you know, he for a while has been pretty favorable compared to others in his party when it comes to just the overall general opinion. And I know there are people right now think what does guy talking about? I hate that guy, and you know you're entitled to your opinion, but I mean, I feel like, just given the last five six years, I could see him being a better option on that side than others. But again, he's not commenting just yet as far as if he's gonna do it or not. But you may be right, John, maybe he's planning on it, but he's just he's gonna wait for the right time. All right, let's get a update on traffic and weather. We'll get with Bobby Ellis and see how the roads are looking out here in Kentucky and in and he get the week started. Also, we'll take another look at Matt Molosavich's forecast of WKY and then another sports update with Scott Fitzgerald. All that's coming up right here on news Radio eight to forty WHS. It is a forty five here Kentucky ANDAs morning News Coffee and Company on News Radio eight forty WHAS. We'll hand it off to Tony and Dwight coming up in about fifteen minutes. They're coming to you live today from Jefferson Animal hospital as they're celebrating forty five years. Congrats to my friends over there at Jefferson Animal Hospital. So we have some breaking news as far as what led to the false alarm yesterday. So I don't know how people are going to react to this, but it is good information to have. But when it comes to the chaotic situation at the Exposition Center yesterday in Kentucky Kingdom, where you had thousands upon thousands of people, coaches, players, families all there attending the Run for the Roses basketball tournament, and of course people also at Kentucky Kingdom, we now know that it was all a false alarm and the cause, according to the tournament officials and the Run for Roses X account, is the initial evacuation was sparked by a mechanical issue that triggered the fire alarm system inside the Expo Center. No one pulled the alarm. There was no active threat at any time, So I guess that's good news. And for those of you that have been asking, hey, what is an active aggressor what is that? Well, I mean I didn't think to really explain it, but I just think it means somebody who maybe and from what I can tell law enforcement uses active aggressor as a way to describe a person who's actively engaged in causing or attempting to cause serious bodily harm or death. But the reason it sounds like they emphasize that is because it doesn't assume there's a gun involved. That's why there's the neutral wording there. So there was nobody there. I mean, I don't know how fire alarm led to people assuming well that means that somebody here has a gun. But all it would take this day and age, is one person to make a comment like that, and nobody's taken that as a joke, and they shouldn't anymore. So again, you know, I hate that it was kind of all for nothing because that's an impactful experience for a lot of people there that they'll probably never forget. And it certainly had an impact on the tournament, and it's not a good look all the way around. But it happened, and I think from what I can tell, it sounds like Mary Greenberg's pretty pretty happy with the way everybody handled the situation. And yeah, just an unfortunate event that don't know how it happened, but certainly nothing there was no no legitimate threat at any point, which again is good news, but the bad side as well. Okay, it certainly had an impact on a lot of people in a lot of ways. All right, uh, Tony, you're with us, Yes, how does the fire alarm cause that? You're still give us answers right now?
Speaker 3: It's not the fire alarm.
Speaker 2: There was let me tell you people, there was enough people. If something happens where you are, it takes a lot for you to pick up the phone and dial the police and say something's happening.
Speaker 3: Okay, And they had those.
Speaker 1: Phone calls to be a snowball effect.
Speaker 2: Yes, but think about what it takes for someone to pull their phone out of their pocket and go nine one one.
Speaker 3: Okay. It takes a lot for that. Here's my opinion.
Speaker 1: It's good point.
Speaker 2: I have no I have no information that says says it was. It was not the fire alarm, but there was plenty of phone calls that said something else.
Speaker 3: Happened, shots fired, whatever.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I think something happened, all right, that's what I think obviously.
Speaker 1: So that something could just be someone assuming that in yelling it and then it just turning into what it turned into.
Speaker 2: No, sure, Yeah, the yell fire in a crowded meater. Yes, causes panic, I get it.
Speaker 1: Or somebody threatened somebody with a gun and they don't know who it was. I mean, I guess there's really no way to know for sure.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, but I don't care.
Speaker 2: I mean if in today's world, look at the response from LMPD, it was warranted. They had a hundred police cars, fire trucks, ems. They were ready for trouble if trouble was coming to them, and they were going to take care of the people that were in this. And let's talk about how important that basketball tournament is to Louisville.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: I mean that that is one of, if not the biggest in the world basketball tournaments for girls, for women, because they don't get these opportunities. You know when doing sports that there's a ton of these boys tournaments where college coaches because you see the pictures of Cal sitting next to Rick Boy Williams sitting next to so and so, so, you see all that. Well, the girls don't have a lot of those tournaments, and this is an opportunity. Think about the environment of having ninety six basketball courts back to back in the south wing and the excitement and energy of basketball and having all of the Jeff Walls of the world sitting there together watching teams play.
Speaker 3: It's exciting.
Speaker 2: It's needed for women's sports, and we cannot do any I hope this hasn't damaged that.
Speaker 1: I hope so too, and I would think that if in fact, it is just you know, because again, the tournament itself, the event, they use their social media platforms too. They're the first ones. I mean, that's that's who WKY is citing. As far as what caused it, and that would be again, it's unfortunate, but maybe it could be a look, okay, well, hey, that's unfortunate that it happened. But man, the response team was there, they were ready, and they were clearly making it a priority to keep people safe as best as possible. But yes, Tony, that brings in forty five point six million estimated income for our for tourism here. I mean that's I knew of the event. I didn't realize quite how big it was. But when it comes to cities that just really make an event their own, it sounds like this in recent years has really become something that you know, people when they think of Louisville and they have any connection with with grassroots girls basketball that they think of this event, so hopefully it doesn't impact it moving forward.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's one of the events Louisville Sports Commission helped get here. And again when that agency was put together, we all went, oh, great, it's another idea for policy.
Speaker 3: But they have outperformed what they spend.
Speaker 2: It's actual, it's an actual government initiative that brings in way more money then we spend on them. So again, Louislle Sports Commission brought that thing years ago, teaming with the folks that do that tournament. And think about the eighteen hundred teams. I heard it was thirty three thousand teams.
Speaker 1: I mean there were forty thousand people there at the end yesterday when this happened.
Speaker 2: Is Yeah, it's insane. People don't understand how cool of an event that is. I've had friends that had their daughters play in that event and they said, you don't know the excitement and the feeling you have when you're there.
Speaker 3: It's just so cool.
Speaker 2: For women in basketball, I don't want to narrow it down to just women's sports, but it's important to say, but for basketball in general, it's huge and when you make it to the center court, just like in Wimbledon, there are center courts.
Speaker 3: That are the big games.
Speaker 1: It's a big deal, no doubt about it. And when you think of big events that bring tourism dollars here, obviously everything that comes with the Derby. You've got Bourbon and Beyond, Louder than Life, those music festivals, just different conventions that take place here. But I will admit, hand up, I didn't quite realize just how big this tournament is. So again, props to whoever has been involved in making this thing what it is, and hopefully yesterday's issue doesn't impact them moving forward. We are out of time here, but Tony and Dwight are coming up next as they come to you live from the Jefferson Animal Hospital here on News Radio eight forty. Whis