Speaker 1: Welcome to the Trauma Therapists podcast. My name is Gaming Person. I interview incredible people who've dedicated their lives to helping those who've been impacted by trauma. A big thank you to our sponsors and our guests who are supporting this show. So vive for Grade too and one our folks book back to the podcast. Very excited to have as my guest today, Doctor Jim Jackson. Jim Welcome, Thanks guys.
Speaker 2: It's really good to be with you today and I'm excited to talk to you today and to your listeners about medical trauma.
Speaker 1: All right. Jim is a clinical psychologist, researcher, and award winning author specializing in trauma, PTSD, and the psychological impact of critical illness. He serves on the faculty at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, where his work focuses on ICU survivors and the long term effects of medical trauma. Doctor Jackson is the author of Clearance, as well as Reclaiming Your Life from Medical Trauma, his latest book offering a practical, compassionate roadmap for survivors of serious illness and ICU stays. Drawing on clinical experience and patient stories, the book helps readers understand post intensive care syndrome process trauma, and we build a sense of meaning and identity after medical crises. All right, Jim, obviously, just a little bit about you share with the listeners where you're from originally and where you are currently.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, thank you, Yeah, thank you. I'm from southwestern Michigan. I don't know how many listeners you have from Michigan, but I'm from right outside of Kalamazoo, a little town called Portage. And I love Michigan, but when I moved to a warmer locale, living there seemed a little bit less good. And I now live in a place where they don't have six months of winter, and that is in Nashville, Tennessee. I've been here for about twenty five years.
Speaker 1: Awesome, all right, so we're going to get into the book. I'm really curious how you started out, how you got pulled into this field in the first place, and then more specifically trauma and the effects of critical illness and chronic illness secondarily. But how did it all begin for you.
Speaker 2: It's a really good question, you know. I have Vanderbilt undergraduates who are in our lab here at Vanderbilt, and often they asked me for career advice, and I wish that I could tell them that it's a linear process, right like you set out down a straight path and you know how it's going to work. In my life, that rarely has been how it happens. I came to Vanderbilt to do a psychology residency at a place called the Vanderbilt VA Consortium. And during those days in two thousand, there was a critical care researcher named Wes Elee who was just starting a program focused on outcomes and ic you survivors, mental health outcomes, and he needed a psychologist and I happened to be one, and we had a baby on the way, and I needed a job. And it was really that simple, you know. I dipped my toe in the water. It felt fine, and then I jumped into the deep end and began to study specifically individuals who had been on a ventilator, on a respirator. Often they'd had a condition called sepsis or something called ards. They were the sickest of the sick, and in dealing with them, what I noted, again this is almost a quarter of a century ago, what I noted was that often they had recovered physically very well, but now because of the difficulties of being in the ICU, they had brand new problems they didn't have before. And often those problems were of a cognitive nature, that is, they had brain injuries. But very often those problems were of a mental health nature. They had symptoms of PTSD, they had symptoms of anxiety, They were worried about their health, they were bewildered by the brand new chronic illnesses that they were now experiencing. And as I began to engage with those patients in research studies and later in the clinic, as I pulled the thread, the story started to kind of unravel, and that was it was a story in which medical trauma. I didn't have that term. Then, you know, people have since started using it. It was a story in which medical trauma played a central role. These were not veterans of combat. These were not survivors of other things that we think of causing trauma, like sexual assault. These were not survivors of auto accidents. They were survivors, though, of a different kind of trauma, medical trauma. And even as those other conditions left to Mark, I began to learn that these life threatening medical conditions left to Mark, and as my work at Vanderbilt evolved, I moved from working with survivors of critical illness to people with chronic illness, to people after complicated surgeries, total populations of all kinds, and the same truth held, and that is, medical trauma was central to their story. It wasn't the only problem that they had for many it wasn't the prime problem, but it was a key problem. And I decided that someone needed to shine a light on this problem, which was really underappreciated.
Speaker 1: All right, let me pause you right there, so we're gonna get dive into that. I want to take a step back. How the heck did you get into psychology in the first place.
Speaker 2: It's great question. I wanted to be a sportscaster. That was my passion.
Speaker 1: I could see that with you.
Speaker 2: That was my passion. And I was pretty good, I will say I was pretty good on air. But all the technical things that editing back in the day, and the splicing of film and learning to work a camera, that was very intimidating to me. And I wasn't really patient. I'm not actually patient now, but I very much wasn't patient. I really didn't want to be a sports caster if I had to do a lot other than talk, which seemed at the time to be my singular gift. So I changed majors three or four or five times, graduated from college honestly in five years. By the skin of my teeth. I wasn't hugely focused in the nineteen eighties, but I had taken a psychology class or two and I had really enjoyed it, and after running around the barn a few times, it felt like helping people might really be my calling. So I got into a master's program in clinical psychology, a program in Atlanta, Georgia, really by the skin of my teeth. And while I was there, I met the woman that would become my wife, and she has been a great influence on me. She has focused me a lot, she has pushed me, she's empowered me, and with her belief in me, I quickly realized, I think I can do this, and I don't need to stop at a master's I think I'm going to get a doctorate. And before I knew it, I was in California, suing one and that's how it unfolded. I was discouraged at various times, as people are, and honestly This is a strange story, but a true one. Michelle and I were at a Chinese restaurant one day called August Moon, and I got a fortune cookie, still have it somewhere, and it said the fortune said you will prosper in the field of medical research. And I thought, how random is that? Right? Like, wow, very different than you'll find your true love or you know whatever generic fortune cookie say you will prosper in the field of medical research. And really candidly, I did take that as a sign, and I'm happy to say with humility that I have been able to prosper in the field of medical research.
Speaker 1: What a great story that is. So all right, you talked about the opportunity you had initially. I think when you when you were studying, you said you dip your toe, and then you said you dove in. What about working with these individuals who were experiencing medical trauma? Obviously that wasn't the term at the time, But what about those individuals or that experience drew you or pulled you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a great question. So in the early days of my work two thousand and one, two thousand and two and three, we were enrolling patients and studies at Vanderbilt. But when we were following them up, and I was really, in those days, the only person that followed them up. I was following them up in their home. So I was driving all over the southeastern United States. I was going to Georgia, Mississippi, Kentucky, obviously, Tennessee, occasionally other places, all the time, multiple times a week. And as I was sitting across the table from these patients, these survivors of intensive care, eating cast or rolls at their dinner table, you know, sitting on the porch after we'd finished an assessment, really getting to know them, I was deeply moved by how derailed their lives were after these illnesses they had experienced. You know, their lives were turned upside down. They were often afraid to go to the er because they were worried that they would be sent back to the ICU. They were reacting to every single noise that they heard because it sounded like a noise in the hospital. You know, they were clearly hypervigilant. And as I got to know them, many of them quite well, I was touched. I was touched by the severity of their problems. I was touched by the fact that they didn't feel like they had any resources or anywhere to turn. And when that happened, I thought, you know, the least I can do is not dip my toe in, but jump in the deep end of the pool and really figure out how we can help those people. And that led to a lot of developments. One thing it led to was to the creation of a clinic for ICU survivors that I co founded with my friend and colleague, doctor Carlo Stephen. It's called the ICU Recovery Center at Vanderbilt, and that clinic has been going for about thirteen years now, and it's been dedicated to ice YOU survivors, and not only them, but to people with life threatening illnesses of all kinds who have complicated problems cognitive and mental health and physically physically driven problems. And people have come to us in the clinic really from all over the United States, from probably thirty different states, and it's been a privilege to try to address these challenges they have. And a recurring theme that I hear from them is when I talk to my PCP, when I talk to my counselor when I talk to my subspecialist about these problems, I'm having. They don't know what to do with me. They've never heard the term medical trauma. They don't know what post intensive care syndrome is, and on and on and on it goes, So.
Speaker 1: Me, okay, so clarify this if you can. What the hell are we talking about here? So these people go into the ICU, what do they When you think ic you, When I think ic you, you think a high level of care, a high level of amazing care. But a percentage of people are experiencing what we're calling medical trouble. What are they experiencing?
Speaker 2: It's a great question. Uh, And I should clarify. I mean, I agree with you. I work in the ICU a day or two a week at Vanderbilt, and at Vanderbilt and elsewhere, people get an amazing level of care. And yet that experience of being delirious and having episodes that are you know, essentially episodes of psychosis where people hear things and see things that they think are there but are not really there. Right Like, That's a common phenomenon, and it's very traumatic being on a ventilange and being mindful of the fact that you very well may die. It's hugely traumatic. The nature of the critical illness, which is often Hey, it's Wednesday, and on Monday I was fine, right, like, I was living my best life and I got infection and Wednesday I wake up with a tube down my throat. I have no idea where I am. I have no idea how I got there. Those are the sorts of traumatic experiences that people have and they are left to try to make sense of what has happened. And that's even in the context of the best care. You know, there are some situations where we can do the very best we can and it's still really hard, and critical illness is one of those. Cancer would be another one. I think.
Speaker 1: So is this something that has been left out of the treatment and care that I see you as delivering. Is this kind of not really frontline care? Is it just are they just thinking, well, we're just dealing with we've got to deal with and I'm sorry, but I mean to be blunt like that, but yeah, people are going to get traumatized.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I think there is a recognition that people will get traumatized and that we shouldn't be fine with that, right, Like, we emphatically should not be okay with that, and that despite our best efforts. There are going to be some emotional injuries, and those injuries are injuries that I think we can attend to thoughtfully in the ICU if we have the resources to do it. You know, for instance, when I see people in the ICU, I'm trying to set expectations. I'm trying to help them brace for what is coming. I'm trying to help them manage their anxiety. We're talking to families about more effective and less effective ways to provide support. So I think all of those things make a difference. Things that you might broadly call trauma informed care interventions, those make a difference. But it's really hard. You know, the nature of the critical illness is hugely hard. And as a consequence of it being hugely hard, you know, the science varies a bit, but you can find studies, many studies of PTSD, in particular in ICU survivors, that would say that it occurs in up to one in five people. You know, there's some studies that would say it occurs in even many more than that. You know, depression and anxiety is common. I think you hit on it. You alluded to this minute ago, and I think you're quite right. For a long time. The paradigm in so much of healthcare has been we are trying to help you. Let's talk about oncology. We're trying to help you survive your battle with cancer. Right. We want you to survive. We want you to survive the ICU, and very often there's a well meaning, but I think misguided dynamic, which is you survived. That's a great outcome. My job is done, yeah, exactly. And often in the ICU patients they don't come back and talk to the doctors who who treated them because they were life flighted from, you know, five hundred miles away. So it's easy to imagine, Wow, they left the ICU, they were pretty happy. I think they must be fine, right, And then when you interact with them, they often say, oh my gosh, like if I knew what would have happened, if I knew what my new life would be like, I'm not sure I would want to have survived. I mean, we don't hear them, but we hear it occasionally.
Speaker 1: All right, let me just remind everyone I'm speaking with doctor Jim Jackson. He's a clinical psychologist, and we're talking about his book, Reclaiming Your Life from Medical Trauma. So let's get into this book here, and I want to hear some stories. Why did you write this book? First off?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I had written a book about long COVID about three years ago now, and the feedback I got from many people, many patients, was it was helpful. It was really empowering. And it occurred to me that these medical trauma survivors that I had been dealing with, and that many of us in the field are increasingly dealing with, that they didn't really have a solid patient facing resource. There was a book or two written for clinicians, but nothing for patients. And frequently I would get emails and other people in the field. I would get emails from people who would say, I think what I've got is medical trauma, but I don't exactly know, and I need a guide, you know, I need a resource. Can you help me? And occasionally it would come to Vanderbilt, but often that wasn't practical, you know, for whatever reason. And I really felt like there were useful things to say to these patients and their families and that it would be be a loving thing, really, it would be a kind thing to develop a guide for them, And that's really why I wrote the book Reclaiming Your Life for Medical traumas dedicated to patients, as dedicated to patients and families who I experience as so resilient and so brave, often in the face of really difficult things. And you know, I think you mentioned practical in the introduction. The book is designed to be very practical. Often in academics, you know, I'm in my office here at Vanderbilt. Often in academics we talk in abstractions, We talk very esoterically about complicated things, and I find that often unhelpful from the point of view of patients. So this is intended a lot of my analogies have to do with food, so forgive me, but this is intend to put the cookies on the shelf where people can reach them, right, Like, this is accessible, and it's a story in the book. It's a story of realism and hope. And would I would hold those two things together, Like, reclaiming your life from medical trauma is no simple thing, right, as you know from interviewing countless people with expertise in trauma and PTSD, reclaiming your life is no simple thing, and making progress is indeed possible. So trying to hold both of those things together, that it's not about rainbows and unicorns. Right, It's not simple, and it's satisfying, and you can find a way to live a meaningful life even in the midst of difficult things, even in the midst of medical trauma. And I think that last idea is really a central theme, really one of the central themes of my life, as somebody who has a chronic illness. That is, in an ideal world, we could take a giant eraser and just make every symptom go away, right, we just erase it from a whiteboard. In the actual world, that's not how it works, and we should seek to reduce suffering, absolutely, But if we can't, there's still a way to live a meaningful life. That's that's the theme of the book.
Speaker 1: Share with us, Jim, if you can an individual who maybe stood out to you or inspired you, or maybe even solidified this idea of I need to I need to do this work.
Speaker 2: Some years ago. I appreciate the question, and I'll change the details a bit, as I do in my book to preserve confidentiality. But some years ago we had a patient at Vanderbilt, and I think about her a lot candidly and she had been in in in the Caribbean. She'd been in a place out side of the United States. She'd become rapidly ill young woman, and had been life lighted to Vanderbilt actually from hundreds and maybe thousands of miles away, and she had a profoundly severe critical illness, and among many other things, it resulted in the amputation of most of the toes on one of her feet. And she was young. What we know is that medical trauma can be particularly challenging for people who are young, because if you're ninety years old in the ICU, you kind of expect to be sick, right, But if you're twenty two years old, it's a different thing. So she'd been in the ICU, usually sick, lost most of the toes on her foot, and she was a big surfer, that was a passion of hers. And she struggled a lot with anxiety and depression PTSD as well, believing that she could never reclaim her life right, never return to a meaningful life. And I worked with her, other people worked with her to support her. She was delightful, and she transitioned h away from Tennessee and and did what she did, and a year or so later, I got I got an email from her and it had a had a video attachment, and and I really cried when I when I opened it. It was a picture of her on a surfboard. She was surfing. She's surfing. It was so beautiful. And there was a comment in the email and it said basically, it said, you know, I'm proving that you don't have to just survive after a disruption like this, but you can actually thrive. And and I love that. And you know, if she was with us today, I think she would say that all the reconstituting and dealing with a new identity and dealing with the trauma was was gigantically hard, and that she had found a way to embrace this new life in a manner that reflected real beauty. And so I think of her, you know, honestly, probably not a month goes by that I don't think of her. And in some ways, she's one of many patients in writing this book that I have really wanted to honor. And her story isn't necessarily typical, like not everybody who loses their toes is back on a surfboard a year later, But I think her story is really potent because it shows what can happen, right, what can very hopeful, Yeah, super hopeful.
Speaker 1: So as I'm looking at this and thinking about this, we have the ICU where this incredible amount of care and depth of care is taking place, and oftentimes or even because of that, people are experiencing trauma. It's traumatic. Like you said, you give us examples of just the fact of being waking up with an imagine that happening, waking up with a tube down your throat. But is there a point at which the ball is being dropped in a sense, are they not providing enough psychological care in that moment?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's right. I do think that's true. I mean we could we could count on a hand or to the excellent psychologists around the United States who work in an ic setting. My friend Megan Josey at Johns Hopkins, my friend Aaron Hall at Geisinger Medical Center. It's shortlist, though, and where mental health professionals are working, they're making a huge difference. But it's partly a resource problem. I think it's not necessarily a lack of will problem, but it's a resource problem. At academic medical centers there are often many psychologists around, but there are vast numbers of ICUs. The majority of ICUs are not at Vanderbilt Medical Center, They're not at Yale, they're not at MGH, right, they're not at Columbia. And many of the hospital systems that have ICUs don't have a single psychologist on the team at all or hardly any So we've got to find a way to bridge that gap. But I think the other issue is there is still a little bit of a lack of awareness, I think, and that is a lack of awareness of the magnitude of the problem represented in the ICU, And I would I would zoom out, and I would say there's a lack of awareness of the problem represented in so many populations, right in people with autoimmune diseases who were never in the ICU, let's say, but who are battling with the very real trauma of a chronic illness right in a birthing suite where someone has had an emergency C section, right, And that's gigant traumatic, And it's very likely with that patient that in the hospital someone gently and thoughtfully nurtured them. But when they leave and they come back for their follow up, it kind of falls off, right, So I think in general, we need to do better. We need to do better. And one of the things I'm hoping that reclaiming your life for medical trauma will do. The one of the things I'm praying it will do is it will shine a light on what I think is a hugely underappreciated public health problem, right, and that is that trauma isn't just combat, right, Trauma isn't just a motor vehicle accident. Trauma is wide ranging medical experiences. And sometimes that trauma may be a small tea, right, if we want to use that term, and sometimes that trauma might be profound. But I think, you know, what I've learned is I need to be careful and not assume how signal for again to trauma might be, right, because there are some things that my patients had been completely derailed by that I initially thought were not hugely problematic, right, But they've they've rocked their world. Equally, I've had patients who've been exposed to extraordinary trauma and seem to be okay. So there are all these paradoxes, right, And I think the truth is there are people with medical experiences of all sorts where those experiences have left to mark, and crucially that mark leads to lasting struggles in their day to day functioning and in their relationships.
Speaker 1: As we kind of wind down here, Jim, what is it that allows you to do this work?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I love the question. I went to see my own therapists just a couple of days ago. Actually it had been a while since I had connected with her, and that was a source of such support. Leaving her office, I realized, you know, I maybe need to get back a little more regularly right than I have been. That's been hugely helpful. I've got a family and friends that support me. I'm part of something called the Critical Illness, Brain Dysfunction and Survivorship Center. It's a research group that is filled with people. We're all pulling in the same direction, and we're interested not only in science, but also in creating a culture where we support each other. And I think the other thing is excuse me, I think the other thing is my faith. I talk a lot about my faith in the book in a way that I think is careful and thoughtful. I never want to impose it on anyone else, but for me, it imbues in me a sense of purpose, and that sense of purpose is what keeps me going right, Like, you can have a strong sense of purpose. And if you ignore boundaries and you don't attend to your own mental health needs, and you ignore warning lights, that sense of purpose is only going to get you so far right, Like, you need more than a sense of purpose. But if you have a sense of purpose, which my faith provides, and you build around you supportive structures and support systems, and when these yellow lights are blinking, you attend to them, I think you can do really hard things. And I'm grateful to be able to do this work. Some years ago I talked about this in the book, and I'll be really quick. I had a car. We'd moved here from California. I had a car and the check engine light went on one day, and I took a post it note. I had some post it notes in my car, and I took a post it note, and I covered the check engine light up and I just kept driving because I was really busy and felt fine, right, I'm not seeing the warning light. And one night, about five months later, the engine seized up and the car started shaking, broke down, and the next day I sold it to the scrapyard for fifty dollars, right, I had ignored the warning lights. And I think what I've realized is in this stressful work caring for people with medical trauma, for me and other providers, there are warning lights, right, warning lights that your life is out of balance. And when your life is out of balance, that's not good for you. But also it's not good for your patients. So I try to be better at checking those warning lights and not covering them up with posted notes anymore, because that doesn't actually serve anyone very well.
Speaker 1: Then, all right, So as we kind of wind down here, who's the book for?
Speaker 2: The book is for the many, many patients in their families who are in the throes of medical trauma. As I travel around the country, as I ride in the back of a lift, as I sit next to somebody on the airline. When I broached the topic of medical trauma when I talk about the book, this is a broadly resonant theme with people, right, Like, people say, Hey, I was in the ICU, or you know, my mom has really struggled after that miscarriage, or you know, whatever it might be. When my dad developed dementia, that was really hard on me, right, So people relate to the idea that medical difficulties they leave a mark. So the book is for those people and is practical and accessible. I think the book is also for clinicians who want to quickly get a useful lay of the land and who are open to the idea of learning about a message. That message is man. You know, they're a huge range of problems that we know how to solve, right, like people know how to treat PTSD, right like people know how to treat anxiety and depression. And that's the part that I try to emphasize that we can address these issues, but we can't address them if you don't look for them. So the book is for providers who are interested in learning something that they might not be aware of about medical trauma.
Speaker 1: Awesome. How do people learn more about you and the book?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So they can order the book of course on Amazon. It's in any major bookstore as of as of April twenty eighth. They can come to our website www dot icudelirium dot org. They can find me on substack. They can find me on x although I'm not there very much anymore. So the website I seeudelirium dot org. They can find me at Vanderbilt. Again, they can buy the book. If they need support, you know, they can be referred to the ICU Recovery Center. You know, I'm very accessible. If I get a thousand emails on the heels of this podcast, might take me a while to respond, but my commitment is to respond to all of them because I think, honestly, as healthcare providers, it's the least that we can do. I mean, this is a privilege, honestly, and it can be hard, but this is a privilege caring for people with these significant needs, and I am I'm hopeful that as a result of this podcast and many others, that people will reach out and that we will be able to connect them with the resources they need. Because a guy, when they get connected to the resources they need, not surprisingly they get better.
Speaker 1: We'll have all those linked up here at the show notes page at the Trauma Therapist podcast dot com. Jim sure love to have you back. Thank you so much for being here and the work you're doing. It's inspiring.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my pleasures. Thanks for your kindness.
Speaker 1: Thank you, all right, all right, take care