Speaker 1: Yo, it's going on. Everybody. Welcome to a new episode of Mechanic Cass. I'm Kendon, Dave, I'movy. On today's episode, we have a special guest, Clay of Morgan Composting and Smoking Tomatoes, joining us today. Thank you for joining us.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome, Yeah, thank you for having me on. Appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, We've I feel like a long time coming. You know, we've been talking about.
Speaker 1: This and that's little stuff met at uh Michigan Matt's metric mash. That's that was in October at the Hopbox Social. It's pretty cool. Vote and by the time this comes out, we probably will be seeing each other again.
Speaker 2: The other view can if.
Speaker 3: You have to check that episode out. That one just came out a little while ago. Check out the Michigan Mad episode. Just fine, a little plug it all in and then I just want to give a quick shout out, real quick to our partner. Shout out Lost caust Plant Therapy, Mike Can twenty old Score Organics, retro grow awesome. Check out those great genetics can't be extracts, Premium Genetics. Yeah, Kinship cannabis Co. They do a lot of cloud Scare and High nine Mike strive Kinship yep, Mike Canna cast for the back for the High Nine.
Speaker 1: You can them in all fifty states.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but yeah, just really really excited to make this one happen because I feel like sometimes when we get lost in the in these interviews, it's always like brands like growers, genetics, like again, love this because that's the that's the bump.
Speaker 1: No one talks about all these ants, l A, these things that.
Speaker 3: Really build the industry, that you know that really build the industry, And like you're rocking a couple of brands here. So we're gonna kind of deep dive and do different types of soils and composts and all the things that you do. So I'm really excited. But first we always like to start with, Yeah, who our guest is?
Speaker 1: So Clay? Like ye, give our listeners a little background about Clay? Sure?
Speaker 2: Sure, So I'm Clay work for more than composting. My background is actually in horticulture, kind of perennials, groundcovers, outdoor plants. You'd see I did at for about twelve years on West Michigan, Oh co Wow yep, yep. I graduated from Hope back way back when in twenty twelve, and then I went right into working for a green roof company growing green roofs and seedums outdoor grow about sixty acres producing that, and then moved towards indoor growing and perennials and annuals, and then just continue that through my career and then got into cannabis growing for a year and then now I'm here doing sales for We're in composting soils, nutritions and kind of starting the framework and groundwork for no pun intended for companies.
Speaker 3: So Morgan Composting is like the parent company of said all these smoking tomatoes were wrapping and you know, and dairy do. So let's kind of dig into like more and composting and like, you know, like wait, so how'd you end up at Morgan Composting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So previous to Morgan Composting, I was working for a large grower East Lansing, and it just happened twenty twenty two, just the market the way it was in the company, my position got eliminated. So I went on the job search and I just kind of shoot my shot at anything that was related to growing plants because cultivation is my my forte. I guess you could say in propagation. Cool. And so I found an opportunity for an agricultural sales rep for them and just kind of put in my my application and still looking and they reached out and it just felt right. And it's a great family company and they've been treating me really well and accepting of me even though I'm like the normal farmer kind of person that fits in behind. Yeah. Yeah, now that's what I do now and it's awesome.
Speaker 1: Good yeah, good Rege. So we actually met him years ago. Yeah, no, yeah, a little site not out there da yeah, tag of farmers. I always think, so, how am in articulture? Jesus horticulture culture?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I did that for what I said, Yeah, I know, so for horticulture. I was doing that for twelve years, and then I did agriculture sales for about a year and just recently I got I got transitioned on. They allowed me to focus more on the cannabis side and growing our smoking tomatoes brand and just getting out and meeting people and reviving that now that the market's kind of what it is now and it's not terrible to talk about.
Speaker 1: Right, not as like taboo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the word I was there for.
Speaker 3: I mean because like honestly, there is that normalization thing that kind of had to take place for a lot of people.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, Michigan's been legal nel since what twenty eighteen, So it's like it's more talked about now, a lot of people know about what's going on and bring a lot of tax revenues. I think more people are open to it. And then you see how it's actually not horrible.
Speaker 3: So Morgan Composting and there's dairy Do So, dairy Do that is a product, correct, Okay, okay, because again that was like, so what what is dry Do?
Speaker 2: Yes, dry Do So. Dairy Do is our Kalmanore based compost It's kind of our base product. It was the first product created from the company. So the Morgan family and Composting. We're a Michigan based family owned company. They're based out of Sears. It's right next to Evert So it's like, hope you're like min Michigan. Yeah, it's about an hour and a half north of Lansing. Yeah, yep. So their whole family have been farmers, dairy farmers for generations and generations and like towards the eighties, nineties, they're starting to deal with the manure problem where it was just piling up and in those days people you'd have to pay people to take your.
Speaker 3: Manure, right right, it's not like right yeah, it's not like the normal trashism we're used to now, or you could just get rid of things like that, right right, yeah, that's yeah.
Speaker 2: So they're piling it up and just tired of trying to deal with this and what do we do with this? So one of the founders, Brad Morgan, who's the president right now, he started to contact MSU and talk with them and see like what can we do with this? And they said, you can compost it. So they started looking into composting and and moving towards that. And as the nine these progressed the milk market, it really changed in the dairy market change to where you either have to get really big or get out, and they chose in nineteen ninety six to sell the last cows and go full into composting, and that was kind of the birth of dairy do the first product.
Speaker 3: So towards the end of like that transition, they were pretty much making their own compost dairy do owing product for themselves. They like, well, why don't we just sell this product to the masses. That makes sense that kind of transition, like, well, we have a quality product here, and like you said, if there's that decline in profits there and it's probably more overhead and then less profits, it's like I might as well just do this.
Speaker 1: It's probably a lot.
Speaker 3: Of labor that goes into running a farm, like you know, my dad did, like my grandpa had, Like he was a doctor by trade, but he did a he had like a farm, like just some cows and horses. My dad talks about how much work that was, so like to have an actual dairy farm, Like I can't imagine.
Speaker 2: There's no day.
Speaker 3: So it sounds like they work, so that's cool.
Speaker 1: So that's cool.
Speaker 3: So they actually know what it takes to grow, like to make a product out of it, so it's neat they do.
Speaker 2: They do, And it's it's crazy how the industries changed where like when they first started that they were paying people to give them their manure, where now we pay to get it from local farms and and that's where we source it. And that's that's what I love about.
Speaker 1: You buy it? What's the change?
Speaker 3: Like why do why is it gone. Is it just the supply demand, like it's harder to get now. Really it's not necessarily supply.
Speaker 2: It's more that people appreciate it for what it is now and what you can put it into and just how you can utilize manures.
Speaker 3: I see before it was just cowshit. Now it's now it's like an actual commodity. Right, there's a respect to going, wow, look what they can gain from You're absolutely right, But that's funny because it would just look as it's just poop, you know, but now it's like poop poop, get egal money.
Speaker 1: I guess I like it.
Speaker 2: It's cool. Yeah, And it's a it's a really great product too, and it takes a really big process. And I think that's the biggest thing about dairy Doo and just the Morgan composting products that we create is just the quality of it and the care we put into it that we really want to represent it. And I feel great being a salesperson and representing there.
Speaker 3: You got your root in that family buy value type of you know, tradition because it was a family as a family, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: And it still is. It's still family owned, it's and run Brad Soun Justin is our VP and my boss. So and it just keeps going in generation.
Speaker 1: So more in compost.
Speaker 3: And then we went into dairy Do transition to dairy Do. So dairy Do is the product and the website looks really nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like it.
Speaker 3: I checked just right now, So just looking at it if you want to check out the products dairy Do, if you're interested in all that, reach out and.
Speaker 1: It's just the composting, correct, that's it. The dairy Do is that every all the products dairy.
Speaker 2: Do, we get branded a lot of that and a lot of people know us as dairy Do, but technically it's just a compost all of our other products, I would say, especially if it's a soil mixture or potting soil are based off of it or include it, so we use it in everything. It's kind of like a red hot with the shit.
Speaker 3: On every absolutely absolutely, So what kind of product, like, what can dairy Do be used for?
Speaker 2: I mean it can be used for anything. The biggest thing that it can provide people, I think is biology. So it's it is a live It is a living kind of like any plant. This is any plant or soil type of Oh, Okay, Yeah, you just have to be careful of how much you use it is it doesn't like have a big NPK value like nitrogen and phosphorus and potassium, but it's it's very rich and.
Speaker 3: So it's not necessarily specified just for like the cana's plant, because I know those three are big in the cannas plant. So dairy do is mainly used for like in horticulture and all types of plants and just helping with to make like I know, obviously we got the smoke between so I'm working there, but like, but I just because I'm trying to think, like what industries can benefit from darry do. What industries is dairy do in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really anything. If it's a plant and it's growing, it can benefit from compost and depending on the system, like if you're growing in rock, well, it may not make sense just because it's not the right kind of media.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that makes sense, but there are other.
Speaker 2: Things we can use in those situations that can help and are kind of based off of it.
Speaker 1: So how much would you add to like your normal pot, like a five gamon pot of how much.
Speaker 2: We usually say if you're like spreading on the ground, eighth of an inch to a quarter inch max on top, just on top yet and you can even incorporate it that was sit on the ground, not in pots in pots two. Okay, it's just like yeah, just so a quarter inch to eighth of an inch you usually get to it right around. You can go heavier, just be careful, but we recommend a quarter to an eighth of an inch.
Speaker 3: We kind of what kind of like results do people see what Darry do, Like do they see like what do they see us? Like an increase in I know that coming from a harder couldurre background, So I'm just more curious. Like composting it just helps the overall.
Speaker 1: Plant growth in general. So yeah, it'll get more product essentially.
Speaker 2: Essentially, Yeah, so composts it. Like you were asking about the benefits of so biology is a big one because it is a lie, it's living, and it's pathogen free just because of the process we do. It's an exothermic composting, so it gives off heat. It'll stay at one hundred and thirty five plus degrees throughout its life as it cures and as it composts. So that's a big difference from our company to maybe competitors is it is a very finished product. We even cure it extra time once it's done, like legally, once it's compost we go further and allow it to cure an off gas, any maybe remaining pathogens or gases that you don't like. So if you get a bag of dairy to do and open it, it just smells like dirt because I've definitely opened other composts and it smells like ooop or it's real heavy ammonia in your face, and that just means it's not done composting. It's not fully done.
Speaker 3: Interested kind of reminds me of like a cure if you rush to cure.
Speaker 2: It's like how I'm.
Speaker 1: Relating in my head.
Speaker 2: It's exactly like that.
Speaker 1: Cool. Where do you store it when it's curing outdoors?
Speaker 2: It's all outdoor production, yep ye. And it's really cool because because of the process and kalmanor is really writt it tends to have a ton of weed seeds in it. And that's why we don't recommend using kalmanoor like directly on a product because of that heat. It kills all the weed seeds, it kills all the pathogens, but leaves the good biology. So you'll see a fifty foot pile of it and it'll be black. You're around, No weed's growing on it, nothing there, So it's it's just a really cool bitch product. And so it gives that biology. But it's also really high in organic matter and carbon, so it provides holding capacity to your soil, so it can hold on to nutrients that maybe normally pass through, so you can end trust using less inputs and that's where it can kind of see.
Speaker 1: So it's interesting.
Speaker 3: So if you adding this compost if helping and stay alonger, you say.
Speaker 1: It's less nutrients, stay longer. That's that's fascinating.
Speaker 2: That's interesting. Yeah, and that's like high overview just generalization. No, it's that's really cool. No.
Speaker 3: I mean, like I I coming from the world of like you know, I'm not a grower, so like whenever I have questions, it's really from such a like I'm seriously asking the question, like why.
Speaker 2: Don't you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like that there's so much things you know, and you know, sustainable organic compost. And then it says for homeowners and our Argo business, So we talked to Argo business, what what for homeowners? Just for like your everyday guarden type of stuff.
Speaker 2: Yep, yeah, okay, yeah, And we have a line of like potting soils as well, oh for that are like specific to that and contained dairy do for like your homeowner. And then like larger agro business, which is what I did before focusing on cannabis. We'll blend in manures and with our composts with other like amendments like gypsum and and just raw nutrients, and then we'll send those to farms where they'll spread it on their on their ground before they plant crops.
Speaker 1: Are these separate products or do you custom?
Speaker 2: Nope, we do custom.
Speaker 3: That's that's what you'll connect with your farm, like what do you are, what's your business?
Speaker 2: How can we help exactly? And even just like that, as I focus on cannabis, like I'll go out and I'll take soil samples for people, whether even container pot samples if they're doing a like a media or a like a container grow instead of in ground, and we'll test those. We'll see what's left, what's in there, and then we can recommend a blend of our products and what we have on hand to achieve and it matches up with what that's sweet because then has a business like especially like if I was listening to that, like, that's so nice because I can just give you a calm like, Hey, this is what I grow, This is how I grow.
Speaker 3: How this is what I'm trying to get, and you can like, how can I help in that sense because you're customizing because I because a lot of times, you know, we do these there's a product, here's my product, is what I'm selling.
Speaker 1: So that's really cool they know you offer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and whether it's a like soil ground compost blend, whether it's a container mix, whether it's a liquid or even a granular, we can customize anything for someone.
Speaker 1: Damn that's neat man. You don't see that often the customizers for the soil like unless it's like you're just doing what the directions tell you to do. A point two of this, point two of this. I mean, that's just going with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's your schedule. That's one of the biggest straws. I would say to Morgan composting and dairy dew and smoking tomatoes is like we can really tailor it to what you want. Like I've had people who really know what they're talking about. They know what they want in their grow but they don't you know, they've been working with you know X y Z company that's just gets so expensive, or they they're shipping it in from across the country when it's right here in Michigan and they can just tell me if I want that's a percent of this, this, this, and.
Speaker 3: Now you're located Michigan. The farm I imagine, is there like a do you have your own store?
Speaker 2: No, we work with dealers.
Speaker 1: So if you go, it's like kind of authorized dealers working your product.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So yep, if you go to dairyd dot com or smoking tomatoes dot com, there's a dealer locator on there.
Speaker 3: Actually, that's a beautiful lead in. I'm gonna pull up the next website is smoking Tomatoes. So we keep seeing this tomato floating around the scene.
Speaker 1: Everyone see it's on the thing.
Speaker 3: So let's talk about smoking tomatoes. So we talked about kind of like what got you know, from farm into the composting. Now we get from composting into what is smoking tomatoes?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So backing up just a little bit after we after they did the composting, they start One of the things that Brad does is like it's all, we're always looking to innovate, and he was looking at how can we come up with potting soils. So he worked with a lot of greenhouses and just tailored certain soils to that. And kind of right around that time, uh, legalization was happening, the boom was starting to happen. So we decided and and just like that industry was so taken off and kind of getting on the green rush. We created products that were designed for cannabis specific and that's where the smoking tomatoes.
Speaker 3: Comes because I look on your website and it looks like just just just just off the top layer website toplay. Sorry, I really didn't mean that pun, but I'm gonna take it.
Speaker 1: Everyone's like crickets out there makes either me or clay left.
Speaker 3: Well anyways, No, you got a couple mixes seed to clone mix one, veg mixed two and then I jumped at the top.
Speaker 1: But it looks like there's a third mix for a super bloom mix yep.
Speaker 2: And then we actually have a fourth blend. So so typically two and like so we have smokingmatoes one which is seed and clone, and then we have two and three for veget and flour. We don't normally like advertiser having stores the two and the three. Just from a consumer base, we found that we created a kind of hybrid of two and three called Smoking Tomatoes twenty three, which is a veg and bloom soil and it'll take you into bloom. And that's really the Cadillac, like, that's the one if you just want something to put in, put your plant in and have success, that's the one. And it's got twenty different ingreded and some minerals in it. It's organic, it's living, I guess.
Speaker 3: So this one is that the these blends a little bit more focused on the phosphorus, potassium and nitrogen.
Speaker 2: Yeah backwards, yeah, and and.
Speaker 1: H no, I'll give you.
Speaker 2: No, and you're right. Yeah. It does come with a light charge of everything, and it's it's almost more like mineral and some nutrient based and slow release nutrients like phosphorus can take a long time to break down, so we put that in there so by the time it's into flower, it's broken down the hard rock phosphate in there and it can and it can feed on it and then you can really take it from there as the grower of do you want to use organic liquids or granular granulars or do you want to do kind of conventional salts. All those work. You just have to kind of monitor the plant and tailor it towards what you want to do, and.
Speaker 1: You can add you other amendments to it as you please.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you can do that too, like if you're starting to see different things, it just all blends together. And we even have one of our other current products is called compost Kicker, and that's more it's almost a refreshment product.
Speaker 3: Or yeah, that's an extra boost. Yeah, so they give you gros cycle an organic boost yep.
Speaker 2: So if you're like mid mid cycles, okay, yeah, that is that is like an actual compost product. It's kind of similar to what you'd get for a farm. It's a complex blend of a few different things that does have nutrition and it has some nitrogen soy based nitrogen in there with a few other things and that'll like refresh the biology bring and it has a dairy do and our high carbon dairy do to refresh the soil. So it'll bring back biology, it'll bring back some nutrients. It kind of refreshes it. If you're just reamending for the next run, or if it's mid season and you want a little boost going into flowering, you can use that. I am working on a new formula for that and just continuing to work on the smoke and tomatoes lions, So keep your eyes out.
Speaker 1: So it's a grow beginning grower. I could just buy one bag of your two twenty or was it twenty three twenty three? Yeah, so if I buy the one bag of twenty three, you don't have the trans trans planet. Really, I can just use that one so throughout the entire grow I say, if I just want to do in like a three gamon pod or five gammon pod.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can do that, but you have to start with a plug at that point. It's not the twenty three is not designed for like a clone or a seed to start, and it's too it's too nutrient rich. So that's where you can start with our seed starter one yep, the number one and as Mike horizon it to help with fastination and then.
Speaker 1: Start like in a one gallon and then transplant into like a three or five whatever you want.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I knew this was a soil, but as we talk talk obviously it's a living soil and that that's kind of like what's nice about this product and for people who aren't familiar with living soils is they really do help you if you don't never been familiar with growing, helps you grow a product that's decent, Like because you're helping with the writing green before you know, customizing it and stuff living soils early they have. I feel like it's a it's definitely a good way to.
Speaker 1: Grow m Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, and I full from what I've heard, I mean, don't you grow a living soil? Yeah, Dave grows with living so so Yeah, it.
Speaker 2: Changes, it changes the product a lot, and I think it changes it for the better.
Speaker 1: I like it. I mean, I like the flavor that it provides me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And and working with some of my clients, they've definitely described that with using organic amendments and living soil, you'll see an increase in turping production.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would agree with that. That makes sense.
Speaker 3: That we've talked about organics, people said organics just they just hit. They hit different. The terms are different, man And like, I understand salts are pretty because they look pretty in a butcher, but man like, and I'm sure and honestly I've had some salts to taste like, fine, they're all right, They're not horrible.
Speaker 1: But I think there's a difference.
Speaker 3: When I really noticed there is when you get into the end of a joint. I really feel like that's when you really can tell the organic. If you have a good grown organic can smoke all the way through, or sometimes that salt just gets a little bit more build up, and that's just I don't know. I'm like, you know, I'm not a pro.
Speaker 2: I'm just smoking no. And it really depends on like what what your end goal is as a producer too, Like are you doing biomass? Doesn't really matter? Is it going to distill it?
Speaker 1: That's that's fair question.
Speaker 2: That's all in a budget, like you may but a lot of people don't realize that as you build that soil, as you put organic amendments and composts, eventually there's a point where it just becomes cheaper because all once you build your soil up to a degree, you just start maintaining and replacing what the plant's using. But it's an investment. It takes three to five years to get up to some of those levels. Depending on your budget. You can do the one your plant.
Speaker 3: But well, it's expensive and I don't really know what other like other options. But I mean, I know sometimes when you deal with just like a lot of organic stuff, you do open yourself to more like pests and mold sometimes.
Speaker 1: But as long as you know soil does bring in more bugs. Oh okay, so it's just soil in comparison to like a rock roll, I guess.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it can and it can probabe a whole compost.
Speaker 1: I'm assuming you could probably it. Probably you can probably get bugs. It's living living, Yeah, that's what's gonna happen. But but you battle it with good pests and it's not like you're gonna no.
Speaker 3: I'm just curious because it's because you both know about living. I was like, let's talk about this because you've had to deal with this ship in the past, and you just life, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Oh, when you get bad passed, yeah that stores.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not fun stores.
Speaker 1: And then when there were a good past and the soils that's what you want because they're bult they're the microbes, like the microbial life. You don't have that, then the soil is dead, then the plant. Then your plant's not going to get the correct nutrients and you're going to.
Speaker 2: Exactly it's all about that symbiosis between the plant and the roots root biome. I forget this the name for it. There's a name for the rise of sphere where the roots are and all the microbes in there. So it is a relationship. And depending on how tailored your blend is or what your programs are and how you're treating your plants, they can have extremely good i PM with minimal sprays by using organic and amendments and living soils because the plant it's naturally being fed what it needs to fight off things, so you're not having a spray in all the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Naturally fighting it off. You want an organic spray Lost Coast plant Therapy Mike Canna.
Speaker 3: Twenty Listen, Like in this world of like organic versus non organic, I do prefer organics. And I think that's just the butt I've smoked. Maybe that's coming from Dave, you know, you know, spoiled Spoiler, Like I always saw him grow organic and so it's like for me, I'm like, this is like good shit.
Speaker 1: You know. I just in the last couple of years I've got really into the living soil it took forever. I did a lot of organics, was like with like some water nude like organic liquid newts, and then I had my own with dry amendments, and then I did a side by side with Tommy Stuff and Detroit Nutrient Company shout out, and that scheff just like obviously just was so good.
Speaker 2: Yep yep no. And and it's interesting because you can really just adding any organic amendments will help your plants, and you know, it can go from like full salts to I forget what it's called. Like there's a synergy where you can do kind of half and half orgle full organics and really anything can support that and support your plants growth. And that's kind of my goal as like leading this charge of smoking tomatoes, is can I provide just a consumer like you said, where you can go to store or and just buy a product line and grow how you want and it's all set up for you. So in the future, you know, I keep your eyes open. I'm trying to work on like an organic liquids, organic and then organic granulars, but then also conventional like salts, and we have great access to farm level producers of those, so so we can offer them for a really competitive price. So it really the idea is that someone could walk into the store and just use the entire line and have great success with it.
Speaker 3: Just just because I'm curious, because we don't get a lot of ancillary type of like brands on n ansilra excuse me, like soil type of brancilars correct, you know, but like, you know, supporting the industry, not just like the shiny image geneticis right, you know, like you know that the star of the seat. But is there any like is there any like I don't know how do I say this? I don't want to say trouble, but is there has there any? Is there any like difficulty running with composts and traveling with composts? Like do you guys export like outside of Michigan and stuff? Like I just wasn't sure like how it works for like living soil and stuff. Is it easy just to move to state to state? Yeah, like is available and off of these states and not yet?
Speaker 1: Just curious it all works. I guess that's probably how I should have said.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, yeah, and there are states that.
Speaker 3: Wasn't sure if there's regulations for soil. I guess it is a long form to get there. I wasn't sure how that works.
Speaker 2: There is, and they vary state to state, but it's more on the labeling of the process. So for like consumer based stuff, if we're shipping in it, yeah, kind of like and how the like if you're in California, you got a list certain things that are in it that could cause cancer, you know, all those crazy things you say.
Speaker 3: That California says is the rules. Okay, okay, okay, So it's state by state ruling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's state by state. But like, and that's for more consumer like retail bags. Things you find in a growth store that we could like the smoke and tomato line, for example. But we in terms of like shipping large scale, like we ship can ship smi loads. We can take that across the border, I think without too many regulations just because it's not it's going to a farm. It's not it's for industrial or agricultural use technically, not necessarily for like a consumer where they have to buy in a store and be informed about it. The people who buy that level know what they're getting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's curious because I didn't know if there what type of challenges you know, because when we're hearing about grows, we hear the challenges of like, hey, we can't legally do this, we can't do this, we can't do this. But I was curious, like what challenges come in with owning compass? Like right, you know, is there is there some challenge on the farm that you hear all the time, like they have to deal with running, like you said, Like the first one I thought of, like earlier, that's what made me think of this was the talking about you can't you can't even find the poop anymore, right, you got to pay more right that that's it's hard to find.
Speaker 1: So that's crazy. That's clearly like a challenge is the poop.
Speaker 3: It can't brought poop problem Yeah, for lack of better o poop there's no product.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's like, what what's going into that?
Speaker 1: That's shitting you know like that one?
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, it's okay. It have such an interesting joke.
Speaker 1: We do it all the time, Like this happens all the time in the office.
Speaker 2: That's what That's what my dad said when he when I told them what my job, He's like, man, I didn't send you account to college to be a shit salesman. I'm like, wow, may be a shit salesman, but I'm not a shitty salesman.
Speaker 1: No, but you know it's cool.
Speaker 3: No, Yeah, except what we saw them, just kind of curious what type of challenges.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it can definitely be a challenge of sourcing. I think we've established some really good quality relationships with farms that we can consistently depend on them for cowmanor in the local seers area. And they're very careful to look at like what the farmers are giving those cows. If they're giving them antibiotics and things like that, we try to stay away from it just so you can tell that in the poop it could come through it.
Speaker 1: So it makes sense you are with right, yeah, coming.
Speaker 2: Here they're getting fed, the cleaner the products coming out the other end. Even with like chicken minore, that's our main source of either raw manure or just as an ingredient in some of our blends and stuff. We work with egg layer barns, so it's called layer manoir. And with the egg laying industry, their diet is extremely controlled and high calcium, so that their poop is also really really consistent when it comes out and clean so so we manage a few farms for people and get the so what do what directly?
Speaker 1: So for cannabis growers now specifically, what are they seeing any any increase in any of the any urb value tastes from using smoking tomatoes.
Speaker 2: And I don't know that we have necessary like statistical data. I'd love to and and and as I start to like build the brand and build kind of my passion for it and with work with companies and ask the right questions as someone who's cannabis focused, I'm trying to get some of those things to see like year over year, if you guys are running the same strains now the soil is coming in. But anecdotally, like people have said, yeah, this year the plant we went out to the farm, like True North for example, they went out to the farm, like, plants are way bigger this year, and it seems like, yeah, shout out shot out North. They're great. So I work with their outdoor and this year they did a little more compost. We did composts and granulars in addition to they have their own salts that they run. But they they visually said it looked bigger, the plants looked better, the terping production was better. They saw more because I got to go see their lab the other day and I was talking. I was curious, like, you gotta see more this year. And it is hard because it is strained based, so if you don't run the same strains, you can't really Yeah, I think.
Speaker 3: I mean, but it's like, you know, if one person was like, hey, terps are better off organics, But I mean a lot of people are do this, so it's not like I don't want to say it's common knowledge because like, honestly, you know, people make a lot of money using salt and using artificial killer. You know, yeah something. I'm not knocking it. I'm just saying I think there's like because I think it's maybe like especially with Athena, like it helps you grow, right because it's more dialed in. But organics, I think you know, is that like how do you get to that next level?
Speaker 1: Yeah? No, so I agree, So how long can people reuse your product for it? Because you said that it sounds like you can.
Speaker 2: I mean, can you reuse the product?
Speaker 1: So if I buy as if I buy, say, I take it.
Speaker 3: We're talking about smoke and tomatoes, we talk about dairy do okay, because and also can these be used together?
Speaker 2: I guess so well, smoking tomatoes contains dairy do Okay, yep, so we put dairy do and everything, so we don't need to add to it. But like what I've been starting to see, you.
Speaker 1: Want to clarify, I'm talking about the growing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, and then growing from what I've seen kind of year over year some of the commercial grows that I'm working. We're coming up with like a two to three year plan where ye're one, you get all new soil, all new amendments, and we start from the ground, and then year two we look at what's left, what's going on in that soil, where can we get it back to year one? And then kind of same thing for your and then that's more of a company decision whether you want to refresh with fresh soil or if you want to just keep amending. But theoretically you can amend in definitely, but it at some point you have recycled all of the soil as it breaks down and gets digested by the worms and things. And that's that's another cool thing is we don't just have dairy do. We have three different kinds of composts. We have the dairy do, we have the poultry do, which is the same thing, but chicken and worm do. We actually have our own vermic composting, which is worm compost.
Speaker 3: So well, I saw that was inside your smoking tomatoes, so clearly use these products to make smoke a tomatoes. So that's tomatoes. Is the end is the evolution of this so the other dairy do? Is there an advantage or disadvantage to the different dues?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it can be pun guy over here. What are the dews do?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would say we do try. We do try to have target targeted blends, and it depends like for example, poultry dew tends to be more nutrient rich than dairy do, but you have to be careful with it then, so you know, it's always in moderation and it's always a balance of what ratios of ingredients are putting in there. And we really kind of dialed in smoking tomatoes twenty three. But we're always looking to innovate, like compost kicker, that's one where we're looking where I thought, you know, why don't we try to make it better? And I've got a few clients trialing it now and we'll see what the summer brings.
Speaker 3: It's cool you do some R and D with clients out there that clients are already working with.
Speaker 1: Hey, we got these products. That's R and D.
Speaker 3: Because R and D is such an important thing and so it's cool to hear you do it in real life situations like industries and stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I always you know, I've had some been blessed with a lot of people. So shout out to Adam's family. Neil and I have been working together on kind of like customizing a blend for them, and we're going to trial it and see what what goes on with that, and then you know if they go from there. But overall, we're always looking to make things better and see what works better and then get feedback on that and work with the customer too as to what they want.
Speaker 1: I love it. What up brands right now are using smoking tomatoes?
Speaker 2: Sure, so I can sell you a few. I did talk Yeah whoever you're allowed to. Yeah, yeah, So we work with a bunch but and as you know, a few large biomass producers. But shout out to Sour Flower Chasing. The team there uses our soils for for veg and our amendments for flowering, and I've worked close with them. We brought some. I brought some in for you guys today.
Speaker 3: I saw I can't wait to try. If you're listening now, reach out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely, definitely go check them out. They're they're taking off and they're awesome guys. And it's too Yeah. Adam's family has been a favorite of mine for a long time, so it's been really cool for me to like to be like, I want to work with them, and I do now, right, So I work with them on on kind of some crazy stuff. They like to do real off the wall things and and their products show it, like I I've never had things that taste like their stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've seen them in collabse Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they do a lot of collabs. Strange Roots a newer company on the West Side. They use all of our soils in their blends. Right now, they're actually just going to start producing solvent lists, I believe, or at least concentrates. So keep your eyes out for them. They're really really awesome guys. And was that again, Strange Roots Strange Roots?
Speaker 3: Okay, Yeah, I'm not familiar, but I always keep an eye on, you know, I love new companies up and coming, because especially with the culture so strong here in Michigan, it's like you never know where they're rooting, how good they are, you never know.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I was actually usiting strangers the other day and the head grower there, they just had posted a bio on their social media and I realized, like, we both grew up in the same town and we don't see small world. Yeah, yeah, So I'm working with them.
Speaker 1: The industry so small, it is very small wet pass back and forth too, you know what I mean, Like you with this team, Oh yeah, like you know what happens it does.
Speaker 2: I work with Wise guys on their outdoor there. They just kind of yeah, they just like updated all their graphics and stuff and they just had a really big drop, So keep an eye on them. I work with them closely on their outdoor growth and uh. And then True North is a big one that's that works with us for their outdoor and kind of working their way and the indoors.
Speaker 3: With their GMO for years and their life resident. That was how I found GMO was through True North.
Speaker 2: So I was like, oh, their homies, they're good, They're actually we're gonna show them the how the sausage is just made this week, so it'll be fun.
Speaker 3: Clouds are so powerful the industry and it's cool, especially like you said, you're we are especially with us, and you're like, we are supporting other brands, you know, in this industry. But I mean, obviously more we're just getting the name out there and talk about them discussing products. You're actually supporting the industry with soil. But it's it's interesting where you're organic, You're you're not getting the necessarily the shine because I feel like the soil doesn't nessily the shine like Athena definitely has that like we've made it cool or whatever too, which is good for them. You know. It's like the cookies great marketing. It takes marketing. It's a skill, you know. But like there's so many good soil and organic companies out there, so it's hard to get how I mean, have you seen that challenge?
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, a lot of.
Speaker 2: Competition, it is, there is a lot of competition and a lot of people are just like this is how we've grown, this is how we want to grow.
Speaker 3: So but I think it very much separates how your growth is and how like you're you're in your company specifically, more competition is so connected to the farm and the land throughout years and generations of it, so literally each product naturally led into the next product. So it's like like and I I've talked to him too, when you go to m J biscos, how do you know what soil is good?
Speaker 1: When you don't know some.
Speaker 2: Of these brands?
Speaker 1: And I think what it is? Where your roots are?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: No pun intended. I swear to God, I swear to God, I really want how many is this? I really wasn't I'm trying to be nice, forget it. I don't want to be nice.
Speaker 3: No, but for real, the company has really has good for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's funny you mentioned marketing and kind of getting ancillary brands out there. That's something that I because of Just like my position, I feel like I'm like a one man super team where I'm I do sales, I do I work closely with our marketing person. I do you know, wrapping people do go into events kind of do it all and I do R and D and trying to come up with ideas. But recently I've been starting to as we build these relationships working with people and working with some of those guys I mentioned, like, hey, can we do a merch clob can we support you or like a project or things like that, So keep your eye out. There could be some really fun giveaways and things as we work with them. We're working on some cool merch.
Speaker 1: Cool working up people follow you our listeners.
Speaker 2: I don't know. We don't have a main page on Instagram yet. Morgan composting, does dairy do? Does I do smoking tomatoes? Clay, There's some dots in there, but I'm on there. But yeah, you can follow me on social media. You can reach out and.
Speaker 1: Has questions and wants to reach out about the product.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Or you can get a lot of growers in the chat yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You can caregivers to Metric exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we work with all all grows hairgivers Metric big, small, outdoor, indoor, and you can always email me Clay at dairy Do two o's dot com.
Speaker 3: The family of brands. You got to like really if you like you grow anything like colorados, yeah, you know, you know, especially cannabis. That's how we connect it. But like dairy how big are.
Speaker 1: Your bags strictly homegrown?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: They range from like a cube it foot to a foot and a half to two feet, but you can get bulk one yard super sacks if you know a dealer, Yeah, anything like that. And and like you said, we can do customs.
Speaker 1: Any authorized dealers.
Speaker 3: You want to shout out that people should check out like I just you know, I don't I get I don't know.
Speaker 1: Check out the websites. Yeah yeah, And here's where you are on the east side by this.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, there's a bunch over here.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, yeah, good good.
Speaker 2: Plus I brought you some.
Speaker 3: Do a side by side, would do some r drself there, I should say. But so I love you got the last question, well one of the last questions, and I guess too.
Speaker 1: But let's start with this.
Speaker 3: Anyone you want to shout out from the team specifically before we get out here, because honestly, it always takes, uh, you know, it always takes you know, a lot of effort behind it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, for sure, I definitely shout out THEO. He's our agronomous and he kind of double checks me and and make sure I'm on the right path and if I get stuck. He's just a soil plant genius.
Speaker 1: Gotta have one of those.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he's great. And then I'll definitely shout out Amanda. She's our new marketing person and she's been very supportive of me and like trying to lead the charge for smoking tomatoes and this line. So definitely shout out to those.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, I mean like it takes. It takes a lot of people, you know. So that's why I always say I'm gonna take a second. Always shout out the team.
Speaker 2: Right, and you know, shout out my clients because they helped me make a living. And I don't know, you know, like I said, I'm not I don't like to say I'm a salesman. I'm just here to help people grow better product and healthier product and just be more successful. That's all my goal is.
Speaker 1: I love it. I love healthy products. I mean the organic maybe pretty much Day's question we've asked most like every guest, every guest since the beginning, since the day one. So we didn't even ask you what would you prefer to smoke? We jumped right into the business. Oh well, we talked a little bit. We moved past clay real quick. That's a good you want to ask this so you dabber a weed smoker, Like, what is Clay?
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, I prefer dabs. I'm definitely a concentrate.
Speaker 1: Guy, which is I gotta asks, do you have a preference or you just like all dabs?
Speaker 2: I like all dabs, but I lean more towards resin just personally.
Speaker 1: You got a favorite concentrates, right man?
Speaker 2: Couple of them? Uh humble Bee, I'll shout out humbly. Humby has been like a good mainstay for me. That's how I kind of got introduced to Adams family and that whole like arc started for me. But yeah, I like Humblebee a lot. I guess in the Rosins like seven ten sour Flowers came out with something.
Speaker 1: That's yeah, it looks pretty good. I'm tried after you haven't tried it yet.
Speaker 2: Magnus from from the caregiver side.
Speaker 1: So okay, okay, so not going into the question now. Now that we got a little bit of information, now I can ask funny like I was like, right, you're right, because we're like we're getting you. Just wait, we're just at the beginning.
Speaker 3: I was like, well no, he he smoke through Clay and then like oh yeah, let's jump into the.
Speaker 1: I didn't even get into it. I thought I was going to ask you, but I kind of went over my head. But so, imagine about to take a dab, you open up your container, just got a fresh graham, and all of a sudden, a Ganja Jeanie pops out right before you're about to take a dab, right right right before you're about to scoop it up, and it goes Clay. I'm going at you any any wish What would you change in the industry? Oh man, And I guess it's specifically on the cannabis side.
Speaker 2: I mean, you guys have it, and you know, I'll probably give the answer that a few I've heard a few people give, and maybe it's a two part answer. It's just like equality with it and transparency and fairness, I guess in growing practices and what product transparency so and you know, for me, it's more just like, can we start adopting the idea of moving more towards organics or at least sustainable things that we can use so and in the end that will help produce better plants, better product. It's just overall, I just would hope for the industry that things get cleaner, more transparent more like that. I don't it's more better but like healthier for us. I guess as much as it can be. It would be my answer.
Speaker 1: I like it, Yeah, I mean I like it supports and honestly, it's like, you know a lot of people use rockwe I don't think rock will even breaks down that good. It doesn't biodegrade at all. Yeah, so that's one of the main things a lot of grows use. And I'm not going to hate on it grows some claw, you know, And that's what like, that's the best thing about GAMUS. There's so many different mediums you can use, and like it's so versatile. You can use cocoa, you can use hydro, you can use aeroponics, you can use soil. It can be living soil, it can be fucking rock. Well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's why I love working for Morgan's like I do it is because we can kind of work. We can we can work with any of those things. You know. Everybody thinks like, oh, composting, it has to be you have to grow in soil, but no, we have liquid products that we make on on site, or we have granulars that could fit into other programs or even just some nutrition wise products. Like my favorite product that we have is called Helpful, Like we make our own liquid carbons on site, fulbc and cubic acids. So our fulva acid is organic and we blend that with kelp and it creates this really nice stress relief but also just building block essential product. And it and fulbic acid axis a non ionic surfactant, so it can I always say tank, you know, do a test first, but then tank you can tank mix Helpful with or even just the fulvic blaster with some of your IPM sprays and it can help stick to the plant better, be more effective, things like that. So so yeah, there's always something.
Speaker 1: So yeah, bugs they be dying because they wouldn't be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're not gonna be happy. But it's just nice because anytime you spray a plant.
Speaker 3: I think we kind of hyper focused on dairy doing all the other focus. So is there there more like you make your own kel we make all these are these other things for sales.
Speaker 2: Too, yep. Yeah, we don't make our own call, but we make we make own like product. Yeah, we make our own products. So so beyond just like the compost products make there too many but well I won't say too many we have. We have. Our idea is that if you have a problem, we can solve it, or if you have a desire, I can help.
Speaker 1: Them in Like, yeah, that's a good way. Everyone's got problems. If you can solve it, you'll be in business.
Speaker 3: Coming from the farming industry, you know what problems you've ran into because you ran into them, you know what I mean. So that's what I'm saying. It makes sense that they kind of figured it out because like, oh shit, we should use this because it was helpful in this situation, you know, makes sense.
Speaker 2: And we're always open to learn from our clients too, Like if there's something that's common in the industry that maybe we don't have on hand, like we're always open to like price check it, or get it in for you, or even get it in as something we can keep in stock because it's something that the industry uses a lot.
Speaker 1: How much does a retail that cost.
Speaker 2: I want to say it's around twenty dollars for a foot and a half. Off the top of my head, it's somewhere in that range.
Speaker 1: That's as you'll see it. I'm curious see what you think too.
Speaker 3: I mean obviously you got try it.
Speaker 1: Now do what coup you do a little sience, have fun with it.
Speaker 2: What do you think of it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it'll be I haven't I haven't done it side by side in a minute since I did, since I did it years ago. Yeah for sure, now now living aving, so it'll be fun. No, I appreciate that.
Speaker 3: Do you got anything else you want to say that we didn't cover because I want to make sure we talked a lot dairy do lost moatoes?
Speaker 1: Talk about a large project. What's your website?
Speaker 2: Again?
Speaker 1: Everyone can check your products out dare show dairy.
Speaker 2: Dairyde dot com or Smokingtomatoes dot com Okay, yeah, or you can reach out to me it's Oaking tomatoes Clay on Instagram or Clay at dairy do Really, just I encourage people to just have me out see what's there. I always stand behind our products. I'm very confident and people, once they try it, I think they'll they'll be very very happy with it.
Speaker 1: That's good to hear.
Speaker 2: But yeah, just really, if you're looking for anything or trying to be more economic in your company, like, uh, give me a ring, I'll see what I can do try to help you be more economic and be more profitable.
Speaker 1: Remember, it doesn't just have to be soil. It can be any type of medium, which is mind blowing to me because like usually sometimes it's not like that. I feel like I want to put some stuff, but an organic in like a solve or something, you.
Speaker 2: Know, right, Yeah, And like I said, we do our we do liquids, so you know, and we have options for organic and salt based, we do granulars same thing.
Speaker 3: It's there for everybody. It sounds like you have a really like what what can we help you with type of attitude?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well problem, Yeah, we solve it, like nobody hates that. All right, well that's how can we help you? So yeah, reach out, reach out to Clay.
Speaker 3: Really appreciate having you on.
Speaker 1: This was an insightful episode. It was cool. Well learn about you. Thanks for having me all the composting the product. You'll be hearing about it because we'll be talking about it. I'll be testing it. I do want to give a shout out to our our partners before we jump off. But before I do that, Clay again, what was your idea?
Speaker 3: Handle again?
Speaker 1: One more time?
Speaker 2: Smoking tomatoes?
Speaker 1: Clay? All right, there we go. So if you have any questions. Reach out to Clay, especially because you know it's gonna be we're gonna be growing growing outdoors here soon. Maybe you're doing vegetables, cannabis, you want to try indoors. Reach out to Clay over here with smoking tomatoes. Man, there we do. But yeah, give a shout out to the partners. Thank you all make this possible. Shout out to Lost Coast Plant Therapy. Use code my can of twenty at check out to save best organic IPM spran in the market. Uh, give a shout out to can Be Extracts Award winning concentrates Scotting the team over there, he's got some of the best collapse out there. Check out can it Be Extracts. There we go jump into old school organics and Jason, if're looking some of the old school strains, he's had those from the OG ninety two all the way to the new school strains from Cheetos to sour runs, and he's all organic. He uses a living soil. So yeah, full circle. Yeah, shout to Jason the team over there love him. And then also we got high nine right there. Uh, if you call with my cannon cast to save twenty percent on your own off of the States, you know, drink and then last but not least, kinship with the Urpenes Thrive checked out Tyler and on a kinship over at Albion. You can go visit the retail shop and check out some of their turpy flower and they got some great clubs out there with Rosen and live resident with like Cannabi.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, appreciate you, Clay. I mean, it's been a great episode. Fun to talk about something like and so and definitely into soil.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it was. I'm you really got in the down.
Speaker 3: In the the deep in the dirt. Anyway, won't last fun at it, right, I know you guys, Like all right, I just had an ending robes ONLI morning, Like all right, as always, that's all folks.
Speaker 1: We're going to advocate, educate, and inspire till next time, y'all. Peace. M