Speaker 1: I ever wish you could just like sit down have a chat with someone who's really mastered life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, someone who's like figured it all out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, across like time and empires even right, imagine well today we're kind of doing that. We're pulling up a chair with Marcus.
Speaker 2: Aurelius, Roman emperor, philosopher all around fascinating.
Speaker 1: And we're not just getting like the highlight reel.
Speaker 2: You know, No, no, no, this is like getting a peek into the personal journal of a guy who's running an empire, right, grappling with self doubt one minute and then like dispensing wisdom the next.
Speaker 1: That's incredible.
Speaker 2: And that's his book Meditation, So not.
Speaker 1: Your typical self help best selfing.
Speaker 2: No, more like raw and unfiltered thoughts.
Speaker 1: And what's amazing is how like relevant his ideas still are, absolutely especially for anyone who's feeling you know, just overwhelmed in are always on world totally.
Speaker 2: Take his thoughts on mindfulness for example, right, you might think, okay, I meditate more, got it? Yeah, but Aurelius goes like a step further. He's talking about cultivating this observer, someone who watches your thoughts to help you make better choices. It's like he's saying, you are not your thoughts. You get to choose which ones actually matter.
Speaker 1: That's huge, It is huge.
Speaker 2: It's like, instead of just being swept away by that like I'm so stressed current, we can actually pause yes and aside like is this thought helping me or not?
Speaker 1: Exactly? And he doesn't just like drop this wisdom and peace out. He gives us a framework for making those choices based on something he calls virtue.
Speaker 2: Now when I hear virtue, I kind of think like following all the rules. Yeah, but it really seems to be talking about something way deeper.
Speaker 1: You're right on the money. Yeah, he's talking about building this strong inner compass that's guided by wisdom, justice, courage, these things, and they're not just like nice to haz for realius, they're the source of true strength.
Speaker 2: So it's less about checking off good deeds and more about just building that unshakable inner foundation.
Speaker 1: Yes, think about it. If your sense of self worth comes from you know, external achievements, what happens when you face a setback, But.
Speaker 2: With a strong inner compass, you're way better equipped to handle whatever comes your way.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes a ton of sense. But how do we actually live by these virtues? Yeah, it feels very easy to say be courageous, but then that work deadline is looming, right, and.
Speaker 2: You're just bombarded with notifications and the world feels like it's spinning faster and faster. Totally, Aurelius would say, even in those moments, we have a choice, okay, and he gives us this incredibly simple but profound guidance. He says, if it is not right, do not do it. If it is not true, do not say it.
Speaker 1: Whoa, It's almost too simple, right, yet I can see how living by that one principle could change everything.
Speaker 2: Right. It's about aligning your actions with your values, no matter how small the decision. It's about knowing your why for doing something.
Speaker 1: Which for really as seems tied to his idea of living a virtuous life exactly.
Speaker 2: And this wasn't some abstract philosophy for him. This was a guy running an empire, facing wars, plagues, betrayal, Oh yeah, talk about.
Speaker 1: Pressure, No kidding. Okay, so he's not just talking the talk from some ivory tower. But do he actually walk the walk?
Speaker 2: You bet? He wasn't some stoic robot, right, he was human. He even had mornings where getting out of bed was a struggle.
Speaker 1: Really, but he'd.
Speaker 2: Remind himself, what do I have to complain of if I'm going to do what I was born for?
Speaker 1: I love that?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Even emperors have those big Monday moments.
Speaker 2: They do, we all do.
Speaker 1: It makes his advice so much more relatable. Yes, he found the strength to get up and rule an empire. Yeah, so we can handle that overflowing inbox. Yeah, it comes down to.
Speaker 2: Knowing our purpose right exactly. And Aurelius might say that instead of searching for one grand purpose, it's about finding meaning in the everyday. He'd probably ask, what are the roles you're already playing, friend, parent, student, artist, whatever it is, and how can you bring those virtues to life in each of those roles?
Speaker 1: It's like finding purpose in the present moment instead of waiting for it to just magically appear. But how does knowing our purpose, even those everyday ones, actually make us stronger?
Speaker 2: Imagine this, You're facing a challenge, okay, big or small, right, and instead of getting swept up in the stress of it all, you remember your why. Okay, that sense of purpose where you're just talking about having this grounding force reminding you this difficulty. It's just one chapter and a much larger story.
Speaker 1: So instead of getting lost in the weeds of like this sucks, my life is over, we could tap into that bigger picture, thinking absolutely, that's powerful.
Speaker 2: It is. And that's not to say we should pretend like everything sunshine and rainbows or really is understood that life throws curveballs, for sure. He just believed that we have a choice in how we respond.
Speaker 1: It's about choosing how we react, yes, not letting our emotions run the show exactly. But that's easier said than done, right. Oh yeah, our brains seem hardwired to just like freak out sometimes.
Speaker 2: You're telling me. Even Relius, the emperor with like legions at his command, had moments of self doubt, yeah, frustration, but he developed this incredible ability to observe those thoughts and emotions without judgment, like having an.
Speaker 1: Inner therapist, just like giving us a reality check exactly.
Speaker 2: And that's where mindfulness comes in. Okay, remember that inner observer we talked about. Arelius would say, when you feel those stressful thoughts bubbling up, hit pause, ok, take a breath, don't try to suppress the feeling, but create some space between the feeling and your reaction to it.
Speaker 1: So it's like hitting the pause buttons yes on that inner monologue that's already like spiraling into this is a disaster territory.
Speaker 2: He nailed it, And in that pause, we can choose a more thoughtful response. And he'd even suggest, what if we practice this beforehand. Imagine a challenging situation that tends to trip you up, like that work deadline right now. Visualize yourself staying calm, maybe focusing on your breath, right, reminding yourself of your purpose.
Speaker 1: So we're essentially training our brains, yes, to respond differently.
Speaker 2: Yes. By practicing these responses, okay, we're less likely to get hijacked by stress when it inevitably pops up.
Speaker 1: That's so interesting. Reminds me of athletes visualizing their performance before a big.
Speaker 2: Game, exactly. Mental rehearsal is a powerful tool. Wow, And it's something that really is really emphasized. The more we practice mindfulness virtue in our daily lives, the stronger those muscles become, making us better equipped to handle life's curveballs.
Speaker 1: It makes sense. Yeah, the more we work those mental and emotional muscles, the stronger they become. Absolutely, speaking of strength, Areally has faced some serious challenges as emperors. He did war's plagues, internal strife, Oh yeah. Did he always handle these things with grace and resilience?
Speaker 2: You know, That's what's so fascinating about him. He walked the walk. Did he have moments of doubt, frustration, even anger? Absolutely, but he never let those emotions control him. He recognized them, observed them, and chose his response.
Speaker 1: That's such a powerful distinction. It is so it's not about suppressing our emotions, but about choosing how we respond to them.
Speaker 2: Exactly. Wow, and for a realius. A huge part of choosing the right response came back to that sense of purpose we talked about earlier. Remember that quote about getting out of bed on those tough mornings.
Speaker 1: What do I have to complain of if I'm going to do what I was born for? Yes, it's one of my favorites for meditations.
Speaker 2: Mind too, it's just so good. It's such a powerful reminder that even when we don't feel like it, even when we'd rather just stay under the covers, having that sense of purpose those roles were meant to play in the world right can be the very thing that gets us move in So.
Speaker 1: It's like having that internal compasses guiding us back to our Why I love that even when the seas are rough, you know.
Speaker 2: I love that analogy. And you know, speaking of rough seas, Aurelius has some brilliant insights on how to navigate those inevitable obstacles and even turn them into opportunities, because, let's be real. Life is full of challenges.
Speaker 1: You're preaching to the choir, but it's all about how we view those challenges, right, you got, So, how do we actually like find the opportunity within the obstacle. It's easy to just say that, right, but like when you're in it, when you're facing that step back, it doesn't always feel like there's a silver lining.
Speaker 2: You're right. It's not about putting on those rose colored glasses and pretending like everything's perfect. It's about shifting our perspective.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: I really is believed that the universe is interconnected, Okay, that everything happens as part of this larger order.
Speaker 1: So even those bad things, the obstacles, they're all parts to this bigger.
Speaker 2: Picture precisely, and that realization for him was both humbling and empowering Okay, humbling because it reminded him that he wasn't in control of everything, and empowering because it allowed him to accept the things he couldn't change with more grace and equanimity.
Speaker 1: It's like that serenity prayer. Yes, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know.
Speaker 2: The difference exactly. And that wisdom, that ability to discern between what we can and cannot control. Yeah, that's crucial for resilience. Okay, when we're focused on what's outside of our control, we just set ourselves up for frustration and anxiety.
Speaker 1: It's like trying to control the weather. Right, you can complain about it all day long, but it's not going to change a thing. Right.
Speaker 2: Aurelius would probably say, why waste your precious energy on the things that you can't change. Instead, focus on what you can influence your thoughts, your actions, your responses.
Speaker 1: That's a much more empowering way to look at it. It is. So it's about accepting what we can change, focusing on what we can, and approaching those challenges with the virtues we talked about earlier. Yeah, wisdom, justice, courage, you got it.
Speaker 2: It's about showing up. Is the best version of ourselves even amidst the chaos, and that I think is the ultimate measure of strength, not avoiding those challenges, but meeting them head on right with clarity, purpose, and resilience.
Speaker 1: This entire deep dive has been incredibly insightful. It has I feel like I've gained so much from Realis's wisdom.
Speaker 2: Me too.
Speaker 1: It's amazing how relevant his writings still are today.
Speaker 2: I agree. It's a testament to the timelessness of his ideas.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: These are universal human experiences. We're talking about joy and sorrow, challenge and triumph. Yeah, but really it just gives us a framework for navigating them with more grace and wisdom.
Speaker 1: He really does.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, as we wrap up this deep dive into the mind of Marcus Aurelius, YEA, what's like one key takeaway you hope our listeners will carry with them.
Speaker 2: I think the biggest take away is that true strength it isn't about physical power, okay, or external validation. It's about cultivating that inner resilience, that unshakable core that allows us to face whatever life throws our way. With courage, wisdom, and grace, and that's something we all have the power to develop, no matter our circumstances.
Speaker 1: It's about tapping into that inner emperor, just like Marcus Aurelius did exactly so to our listeners, we encourage you to pick up meditations explore these ideas for yourself.
Speaker 2: It's a great book.
Speaker 1: You might be surprised at how much this ancient emperor's wisdom can speak to your modern life. Absolutely remember true strength lies within