Speaker 1: It's Friday, Friday, mother fucking Friday. Lena made a song about that. I think did she did Lena do its motherfucking Friday?
Speaker 2: It would have I think it would have been Lena because it came out when I was in like, uh a senior in college or junior, and Lena was on the show at that time.
Speaker 1: Okay, That's how I know it came out around that time because she also did Dave's Friday Night then and was all basically making fun of like how I don't do anything on a Friday night. And this is what I've learned is, you know, as you go through life is like, you know what Friday nights at home on the couch with a pizza or door dash. They're great, They're awesome, they.
Speaker 3: Are really lovely.
Speaker 2: That's gonna be my weekend because I'm getting this laser treatment done in my face. So I'm going to be hiding in the shadows of my house all weekend, and so I will just be sitting around doing nothing.
Speaker 4: What are they doing to your face?
Speaker 3: You know, just burning it off, really.
Speaker 4: Starting over again? Yeah, throw a new one.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: Uh No, It's it's called the Broadband Ladies that are light therapy and then also a moxie treatment. It's a combo thing that they do together. And to be honest, I don't know exactly what it does, but it pulls out the pigment. Because I've told you before, there's like the some spot I get on my cheek that I'm really self conscious about now and for a while I thought it was cancer. It's not there anymore, because I had to say it's not there yet. Yeah, So it seriously works miracles. It's like it always was, like right here on my cheek.
Speaker 3: I'm pointing to it. Obviously you're listening, you know what I'm.
Speaker 4: Putting right there, but right under her left eye.
Speaker 2: But I got this done once in the last few months, and it really pulled the pigment out. But then it just helps with like collagen pores all that stuff spot and it works.
Speaker 3: I'm telling you.
Speaker 2: You can like see it in real time over the course of a week as your skin heels the pigment like being pulled out.
Speaker 3: It's so crazy to watch if you have.
Speaker 1: Some spots, Okay, interesting, Yeah, that's I've never noticed that on you, and I've never noticed until just now at this moment that.
Speaker 4: You have a little mole right there?
Speaker 5: Is it?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, this is it. I was going to say, I've never noticed had a little mole there. That's interesting because you don't usually get zits.
Speaker 2: Oh I do get zits, But honestly, I don't know that it was is it. It was one of those things where I think it was a bite of sorts, and I went after it and made so now it definitely stands out a little bit more than it probably should.
Speaker 1: Well, there's the update on Jenny's skins. So let's dive into the emails and here we go. Hello, friend, says Beth from North Branch. Last time I wrote in a couple of years ago when I found out that Dave also had a grandma, Helen. Hearing Dave read my tribute to my Grandma Helen and hearing about his grandma honestly made my year that year as I was struggling with postpartum depression, and to this day, the memory of hearing that podcast for the first time still means so much. You guys keep me saying some days while I fight to survive keeping up with a two year old and a six month old. Wow, I swear my girls both know Dave's voices. I've listened to you throughout my pregnancies and whenever we're in the car. My two year old recently started repeating after me in the mornings when I say, hey, Alexa, play KATIEWB. Hopefully ours doesn't please do it right now?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: She did not?
Speaker 1: Okay, good, and I had to share a cute clip of her saying KATIEWB, Happy Friday and have a great weekend. So I found the clip and I think I got it ready to play. Here we go, and of course it's not working, so that just might be. She sent me like a little like a phone clip, and I tried to play it and I thought the audio would come through, and it did not. But that is adorable. Thank you, Bess Neched What this says? Anybody know how to get rid of those awful gnats that are everywhere right now? I've never experienced this level of ridiculous from biting gnats. My poor kid is full of weltz, and so am I. They're flying around us, they're biting us. Even our poor foster dog has so many bites on her belly. If anybody has a special trick to get rid of those gnats, let me know. I'd love to have some time back outdoors. I don't ye, I don't notice them, honestly.
Speaker 3: I wonder where they.
Speaker 2: Live because it is that season right now. And I remember being up in the North Shore last year at this time and the nats were just starting to come out and it was like impossible to do hikes, almost betacked in certain areas.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I yeah, I don't have a solution. I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Uh, we're taking the van, the camper I say, camper van is not a camper vent. We're taking the RV out this weekend. And there was no there was no bugs last week. Yeah, because it was chilly enough the bugs weren't out. There's no mosquitoes really yet, although something bit me on the leg the other day could have been a mosquito. But I guess that's one thing we're gonna have to learn to deal with with the camper is keeping the bugs away and keeping them out of the RV.
Speaker 3: Okay, I need to send you.
Speaker 2: I'm going to look at it right now because there's something that you use. It's I'm trying to figure out how to describe it, but basically, it expels this substance into the air and keeps bugs away. But I have two of them for when I go on camper van trips. Okay, it's a mosquito repellent thing, and honestly, I'm pretty sure listeners recommended it to me last summer and it works really well and I use it on my deck and stuff too, But I gotta figure out what it is.
Speaker 1: Okay, send it to me, because yeah, I mean, you got your bug spray, but you know they're going to get inside the camper and then I'll be running around with a fly swatter trying to get these mosquitoes. So next one, Sarah writes in she says, Dave, I'm so excited that you've got your RV. I've heard you share a few times that you're cautious to talk about the purchase because it feels boastful. But I agree with Jenny that you worked really hard your whole life and you've earned the ability to enjoy your money. I appreciate that you're offering a perspective that is not talked about right now. Even though life is more expensive right now, you seem to be weathering that because you've been a conservative spender your whole life. Definitely a conservative spender. Jenny and I have that in common, and probably Bailey too. Growing up without a lot of money, you're used to not buying expensive things. And I remember one when I was about twenty eight years old, I got let go from a radio station that was changing format and they had to pay off the rest of my contract. And the rest of my contract was forty four thousand dollars and I got a check for forty four thousand dollars. I was twenty eight years old. Wow, Now this was money that they would have owed me had I worked there for the next you know, like I don't know whatever it was a year or whatever it was. And there was no question I was not going to buy a Mustang. Yeah, I was not going to buy a boat. I was not going to buy a whatever a Rolex. I put it in the bank and to this day it's still there.
Speaker 4: Gee.
Speaker 1: I mean I've never touched that, you know, we've never spent down to forty four thousand, so I can say it's still there. But yeah, I think that's one of the things, is like, what are you waiting for? My husband and I are in the same boat. We're thirty eight, we have three boys, We've worked our whole lives. We don't spend beyond our means, and we focused on saving. I am a frugal spender and love looking for a deal. All of that has put us in a position we're on track to move into our retirement careers at fifty.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: Good for them.
Speaker 1: We each have one hundred and seventy thousand in our four to oh one case, So between the two of them they have is that thirty four thousand dollars. We max out contributions to our roth iras each year and have about seventy five thousand invested and then fifteen thousand cash on hand for emergencies. Our only debt is our mortgage of two hundred thousand. My husband graduated college with a seventy thousand dollars student loan debt and we paid that off on our own. We make way more per month than we need to spend to survive even raising three kids.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's impressive. That is not the reality for anybody else in my life. I feel guilty about it all the time. We are not rich by any means, but we are happy that we have with what we have, and the peace of mind for our financial future. We are able to plan our summer vacations despite the rising cost of living. The vacation is not super fancy road trip into North Carolina for the boys to see the ocean for the first time, but it's way more than what I got to do as a kid. We are able to provide a really comfortable life for our kids. Why do I feel guilty about that? I think it's because you see other people that don't have that. I think I've read that ten percent of forty year olds have zero money saved. Yeah, ten percent of forty year old's zero money saved.
Speaker 5: We ended up talking about this on the air at one point, and we had so many people texting in saying how much they had in their bank account. Yes, and it was like a lot of people had not very much money at all.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, we also had a lot of people who were saying how much they had. I actually feel like we had more people saying how much they had versus the people who were saying they didn't. And then they felt like shit, yeah, because they were like, what, I'm a single mom and I'm forty and I don't have anything in a roth ira or anything like that, and some.
Speaker 1: People don't even know what a roth ira is. Yeah, do you know what a roth ira is?
Speaker 5: Bill, I don't know.
Speaker 4: If I have, it's okay if you don't.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I know what I know. It is a thing that you put money into and then you use it later on in your life. That's what I know about it.
Speaker 4: That's a good basic description.
Speaker 3: Yeah, basic.
Speaker 4: I don't know what all that is.
Speaker 1: We have a financial planner, and you do not have to make a lot of money to have a financial planner. I had one when I was probably twenty seven years old because I didn't know what. You know, you get a savings account and you get a checking account. Well you probably should do a little bit better than that, So we had a financial planner. The thing is they take a little bit of money from you, but in a lot of the time it's worth it.
Speaker 4: Because I don't know.
Speaker 1: I didn't know what a roth ira is, and no idea and all these different mutual I mean, I know what a mutual fund is, but I don't even know if they're a wise investment anymore.
Speaker 4: I really don't know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I took I talked to a financial advisor, but she was just like a friend of mine, and I took a bunch of notes and I just have to like make it all happen, and I just haven't yet. I have a checking in savings account, I have like a four oh one k whatever, and then I have like a high yield savings account as well, and that's it.
Speaker 3: So I mean, you're doing good.
Speaker 4: Though.
Speaker 3: Here's one thing.
Speaker 2: Obviously I'm not a financial planner, but I was meeting with this one financial guy for a very long time recently, and one thing you should ask your company if they offer this is if they do wroth flor a one ks because our four oh one k is obviously take the money out of your check pre tax, but then you have to pay taxes on them later in life.
Speaker 3: When you use that money.
Speaker 2: Okay, so a wroth forloro one k is post tax money that's going into your four oh one k, So later in life you take that money out and you're not paying taxes on them. So in the end, unless something crazy happens in the economy, there's no way that taxes are going to be less in thirty years versus what they are right now. There's just no chance. So it's better to do wroth for oh one k contributions versus four oh one k, But most companies do not allow that five asst ours, and they are legally they have to start doing it, I think in like twenty twenty six.
Speaker 3: But there's also some requirements.
Speaker 1: Well, here's one thing that I heard from my financial planner is like, is social Security going away? Because Facebook is full of oh social Security is going away? One percent. It is not going away. It would kill people, It would starve people. Social Security is not going away. So when your uncle Peter, your aunt Betty is like, yeah, they're taking away social Security, they are not. Could you imagine all the senior citizens that live on that Social Security check poof it just vanished.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but your financial planner would tell you that because are they going to make money off of you if they don't lie to You're right?
Speaker 3: In fact?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, thanks for inducing panic. Jenny intrusive question, how much money do you guys want in your four oh one k before you retire? I got no fucking idea, Sarah, you really don't know. I really don't know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know either.
Speaker 3: I don't almost need to like exist and live. I say, no idea.
Speaker 2: The fact that they're able to go to their retirement and careers at fifty. Makes me think like they really have it down to science. But like for me, I don't know because I don't know how much I'm going to need to live in however many years.
Speaker 1: And that's the thing. You've got to adjust it for inflation. So if you've got a lot of money now and you're like, oh, I can retire on X amount, well when you retire, is that going to be enough? But you will accrue and your your investment will continue to grow because historically, no matter what the stock market is doing, historically it always goes up. Historically, it just always goes up. It'll dip and peak and dip and peak, but it'll all we go up. Let's see what else we got here. Okay, there are some people that have sent songs that wrote they wrote a song for Ai. Yes, I cannot get them to play. So if you wrote a song with AI about our morning show, I really appreciate that. For whatever reason. There's been two or three people that have sent us those, including Kaylee. She says, Yo, my favorite morning crew. I felt so inspired today listen to your show. I decided to put my creativity of the test and write up a little song about the morning show.
Speaker 2: So I did read this yesterday, and I only I didn't delete it, just because I wanted to see if we want to do something with it on the show today. So that's why that's in there.
Speaker 4: I couldn't get it to play well.
Speaker 3: I don't think that there's anything to play on that.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, so maybe she's not the right one. Yeah, so I will. Uh, let's just let's just read some of the lyrics. Did you read the lyrics?
Speaker 4: I did?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 1: Then never mind? Yeah, the fuck am I doing here? All right, let's find another one.
Speaker 4: Here we go.
Speaker 1: Toy Story five is the subject. Hi, everybody feel the feel free to use my name, Thurston. Have you heard you could use some messages. I heard you talk about Toy Story five and how the third movie wrap things up and made four and now five. Indiana Jones. The final scene from the third was the proverbial writing off into the sunset and then came back and made number four and five. Interesting tidbit about movie making. For each minute on the screen, there should be one page in the script behind the camera or one to one pacing. I really had no idea, So one minute on the screen interesting or for each minute on yeah, okay interesting, Thank you Thursty, And I had no idea. I'm going to hit delete on that one. We talked about NAT's already. This is from Marie. She says, you don't have to answer if you don't want to. But Dave, do you know if and when you're planning on retiring? I remember you signing an extension that would keep you on until twenty twenty six? But is that your timeline or plan? You are so fun to listen to, But let's be honest, you're not getting any younger. Jenny in the morning Zoo is imminent. Love you guys, have a great weekend. I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 4: You know what.
Speaker 1: I'll be honest with you. A couple of times in the past I've said this is it. I don't want to sign another contract, and then I did so, and that could happen again. I really don't know. So well, we'll see. I don't know what I would.
Speaker 4: Do all day.
Speaker 3: When did your contract end? Do you know?
Speaker 2: May?
Speaker 4: End of May? Next year?
Speaker 3: Next year?
Speaker 2: So you got at least a year to make a probably more sooner than that.
Speaker 4: But well, it's also their decision.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I mean, you know you're not gonna I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 5: If they're poor, who knows what if they're poor, if they can't afford this schmuck.
Speaker 4: Well then just offer me less.
Speaker 2: That's how they get rid of Dave instead.
Speaker 4: Of year give me twenty five ks. Wow that's a lot.
Speaker 3: I was like, wow, they pay you that much?
Speaker 1: All right, right, so thank you, Marie, and I believe. Oh we have a rant. Here comes one Nita's rant. Are you ready? Yes, Okay, let me see if I can find it. Okay, hold on. It always takes me a second to pull these things up, but I think our audio system is ready to go.
Speaker 4: And here comes Juanita.
Speaker 5: Hey.
Speaker 6: Hey, So I started binge watching that show that you guys were talking about you on Netflix, and I'm about at the fourth season and I'm about ready to poke Joe's eyeballs out with my fingernail.
Speaker 4: Yep, he is so fucking annoying.
Speaker 6: I swear to god. He doesn't even look like a killer. He just looks like one of the kids that brings the groceries out on your arm on call order. Anyway, this week's rent is about people who've got too much fucking time on their hands. So I was watching World News Now one morning and they said something about a sign spinning competition.
Speaker 4: I'm like, you gotta be fucking kidding.
Speaker 6: So I'm looking at it, and there's actually a competition for that. I don't know if you remember that Progressive commercial where the kids standing on the corner sending the progressive signs and his dad comes rolls up and gives them shit about it. There's actually a competition for people who are spinning signs to see who could spin at the fucking best, Like these people have got too much goddamn.
Speaker 4: Time on their hands.
Speaker 6: It looks pretty cool, but still I mean to make it a competition to come on. Really well, that's my rap of this week. I love you guys, bye.
Speaker 1: We love you back. I am not surprised. There's competitions for everything from cup stacking member cup stacking ten years ago and Carson had a cup stacking kit and he didn't really play with it, but I did, and it came. It came with a matt and a timer, and it was really cool because I got decent a cut. You would stack them and unstack them. In like a record time, and I could do it in like five seconds or something crazy like that. Rubik's Cube competitions, there's all kinds of competitions. I am for it because if that is your skill and you're really good at sign spinning, good for you.
Speaker 5: I think skills in general, like seeing anyone who's like really really good at something is just so cool to me.
Speaker 1: I agree, Yeah, she brought up you, and I'm I'm not going to give any there's no I've watched the last episode last night, and I will only say, and I'm going to say this without giving anything away, the ending is good.
Speaker 2: Oh thank god, Okay, okay, because I'm gonna watch it this weekend.
Speaker 4: The ending is good.
Speaker 1: And if I told you anything more than that, or if I said, oh, the wind ending's really good, or if I said the ending's good, that gives too much away so flatly in a flat monotone voice, I will say the ending is good, so you will probably like the ending. I want to talk about something that I did yesterday, and Jenny and Bailey knew about this one. And I was speaking at a big conference of advertisers and business owners and media people, and I was the host down at Mall of America yesterday for about one hundred and fifty people or so.
Speaker 4: WHOA.
Speaker 1: So I had to get up on stage and like welcome everybody and and talk about you know, like hey, we're here to have fun and we're here to learn. And then I had to introduce heat speaker, and then at the end I had to lead a Q and A. And of course when you say does anybody have any questions? Nobody ever has any questions. They just don't. And I think sometimes it's because they got to get back to work and they want to get the fuck out of there. But it was such a fun experience and it went over really well. And I told Jenny and I probably told you, I get nervous before I do something like that. And I think sometimes when you're a little bit nervous, that's good because it means it's.
Speaker 4: Important to you here about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I was a little bit nervous and I got up on stage and I had so much fun, and I did some little wacky bits where I said, I'm a DJ. We give away prizes. So I flashed my phone number up on the screen, I turned my ring tone up to call me maybe by Carly ray Jepson, and I took a caller out of the audience and gave her prizes, and people thought that was funny. And when I sat down, a guy named Aaron from the Star Tribune says, that was great and that just really felt good. Ye and they just were very grateful and thankful, and I was so thankful to be honored to come out and do this. So so that was that was like the best thing that's happened to me in a while, was to just do a good job doing that.
Speaker 5: You had your little suit thing on and your little glasses so you look like, you know, you knew stuff.
Speaker 4: I looked like a sexy college professor.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think that's what it was. You professional, just.
Speaker 4: Not sexy college professional.
Speaker 2: A little different than right now when you're Mickey Mouse shirt hunt or.
Speaker 4: To make out shirt right now? Look at that? Yeahs.
Speaker 1: Anything else on the Minnesota goodbye, nothing else we want to cover. Okay, love your emails. They are the heart and soul of the Minnesota.
Speaker 4: Goodbye.
Speaker 1: And if you ever want to ask a question or bring up something or rant about something, you know where to come. Send those to Ryan Show at KADIWB dot com. One request, where do you listen send to the Minnesota Goodbye? Send me a short email. Do you listen to it on your walk? Do you listen to it on your drive into work? Do you listen to it on your drive home from work? Do you listen to it while you're making dinner. I'm just curious. I'm just trying to picture where people are listening to the Minnesota Goodbye. There's no one answer, So let me know where you listen to the Minnesota Goodbye and send an email to Ryan Show at KDWB dot com