Speaker 1: Welcome to the deep dive. This is where we really dig into complex topics, pull out the essentials, and basically give you a shortcut to being well informed.
Speaker 2: Yep. We sift through the information, figure out what matters most, and hopefully find some useful takeaways for you.
Speaker 1: And today we're tackling Android design patterns and best practice. We've got a great source to guide us, and the mission is pretty clear. Understand how using these patterns can help you build better Android apps.
Speaker 2: Apps that are more reliable, robust, easier to maintain, just more efficient overall.
Speaker 1: And we're going to frame this by imagining we're building an app for a small business like local sandwich delivery service exactly.
Speaker 2: It's a good way to see how these patterns actually pop up naturally during development. They're not just theory, they're practical solutions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Understanding them gives you this vocabulary, this toolkit. It helps you spot potential problems earlier.
Speaker 2: Right, Definitely, It's like having a set of blueprints for common coding challenges makes avoiding design flaws way easier. It really accelerates lending good practice.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's start at the beginning. What exactly are design.
Speaker 2: Patterns Fundamentally, they're like proven recipes for solving common software design problems. Think of them less as specific code snippets and more as programming philosophies or strategies.
Speaker 1: And these aren't just Android things, are they not?
Speaker 2: At all? The concepts are universal. You see them across different languages and platforms. In fact, the Android SDK itself uses tons of them, Like what, well, you've got factory methods for creating objects, builder patterns for assembling complex ones. The whole listener system relies heavily on the observer pattern.
Speaker 1: They're baked right in, so it's more about grasping the idea behind the pattern than memorizing a.
Speaker 2: List Precisely, if you get the core concept, you can spot it, understand why it's used, adapt it, maybe even come up with your own variations.
Speaker 1: Okay, back to our sandwich shop. The scenario is an independent developer gets approached by this small business.
Speaker 2: Right the clients struggling with phone orders, mix ups, the usual chaos. They think a mobile app could be the answer.
Speaker 1: It's a classic setup, small business problem, potential tech solution. It gives us concrete issues that patterns can help solve.
Speaker 2: So before we even write a line of code for this samich app. We need to set up the environment first, big decision, Which Android versions to support? Ah?
Speaker 1: Yes, the API levels you've got minds DK.
Speaker 2: Version, the oldest version your app will run on. Yeah, and targets decay version, which is the version you've tested against and optimized for. You set these in your build dot gradal file and sometimes the Android manifest dot XML.
Speaker 1: The tricky part is wanting the cool new features but not cutting off users on older phones.
Speaker 2: And that's exactly why the support library is so important. It's basically a set of libraries from Google that provide backward compatible versions of newer Android features and UI components, so.
Speaker 1: You can use modern stuff even if your mine's DK version is relatively low.
Speaker 2: Exactly, it bridges that gap lets you build more modern apps for a wider audience. Hugely valuable.
Speaker 1: Okay, environment setup? Wow. Inevitably things go wrong.
Speaker 2: Debugging debugging, Oh yeah, essential. Testing on actual physical devices is a must. You enable developer options, turn on USB debugging, connect your phone.
Speaker 1: But you also need virtual devices, right emulators.
Speaker 2: Absolutely Android virtual devices or avds. They let you quickly test on different screen sizes, different API levels without needing a drawer full of old phones.
Speaker 1: Emulators used to be painfully slow though that are much much better now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there are third party options to like gen Emotion or Android by eighty six which can sometimes be even faster or offer more specific simulation features.
Speaker 1: And for just checking layouts quickly.
Speaker 2: Androids Studios Layout Preview is fantastic for that you can see how your UI looks on different screen sizes, densities, themes, even landscape versus portrait, all without running the app. Massive timesaver.
Speaker 1: What about when the app is running, how do you see what's going on inside.
Speaker 2: The Android device? Monitors your friend there you can monitor things like memory usage, CPU load, network activity in real time.
Speaker 1: You can capture detailed performance data too, right the traces and stuff.
Speaker 2: Yep method tracking, resource usage, allocation tracking, plus simple things like taking screenshots or recording a video of the app running.
Speaker 1: But for just tracking the flow and seeing messages from your code.
Speaker 2: Logcat Oka definitely logcat It shows system messages errors, but the real power is adding your own log messages.
Speaker 1: So you put log dot d my tag doing this thing now in your code.
Speaker 2: And then you can filter the logcat output and Android Studio or the device monitor to see just your messages. It's way better than sticking temporary text views all over your UI to see variable values.
Speaker 1: Yeah, much cleaner. Okay, let's start building our sandwich app logic. First up, creating the basic objects, like the different types of bread or fillings. This gets us into creational patterns. The factory pattern seems foundational, it really is.
Speaker 2: The core idea is creating objects without the client code needing to know the exact class being created. You ask a factory for a object and it gives you one like our.
Speaker 1: Bread factory example. Instead of new roll or new brioche, you'd call something like breadfactory dot get bread roll exactly.
Speaker 2: The factory encapsulates the logic of which specific class to instantiate. The big win here is abstraction. How so, well, if you want to add a new bread type, say sourdough, you add the sour dough class and update the factory. The code using the factory doesn't need to change at all, as long as the factory still returns a bread object. It decouples the creation from the usage.
Speaker 1: Nice It isolates changes, and this scales up when ingredients get more complex with images, descriptions, calorie counts.
Speaker 2: Yep, the factory just handles creating those more complex objects, hiding the details.
Speaker 1: Okay, building on that. What's the abstract factory pattern?
Speaker 2: It sounds similar, It is related. If a regular factory creates one type of object like bread, an abstract factory is designed to create families of related objects. It's sometimes called a factory.
Speaker 1: Of factories, a factory of factories.
Speaker 2: Okay, so an abstract food fact three might have methods like create bread and create filling. This ensures that the bread and filling you get are compatible, may be part of the same meal deal or regional style. It enforces consistency across related object types.
Speaker 1: Got it factory for one thing, abstract factory for related sets of things. What are the builder pattern?
Speaker 2: The builder is different Again, It's specifically for constructing complex objects step by step. Instead of getting a fully formed object from a factory, a builder lets you assemble it piece by piece.
Speaker 1: Ah. Perfect for our sandwich. A sandwich isn't one simple thing. It's bread plus fillings plus toppings exactly.
Speaker 2: You'd have a sandwich builder. You'd call methods like builder dot set bread whole wheat, then builder dot ad filling Turkey builder dot adfilling, cheese, builder, dot AD topping lettuce, and finally called builder dot build to get the finished sandwich object.
Speaker 1: So it's great when an object has lots of optional parts or as specific assembly order.
Speaker 2: Precisely, it makes the construction code much more readable than having a constructor with like ten parameters, many of which might be null. It clarifies the process.
Speaker 1: Okay, we can build our sandwich object. Now let's think about how it looks.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Material design patterns are crucial for the UI absolutely.
Speaker 2: Material Design is Google's design system for Android. It provides guidelines and ready made components. Themes and styles are the foundation.
Speaker 1: That's the overall look and feel right, colors, fonts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a theme applies styling consistently across your entire app. You can pick a base material theme and then customize it using the theme editor in Andrei Studio, defining your app's color palette, default text appearances, and so on, and.
Speaker 1: You define these colors in a resource file colors dot xml best practice.
Speaker 2: Yes, Material Design has specific recommendations for using primary, secondary, and accent colors purposefully.
Speaker 1: The guidelines get pretty specific, even down to text sizes.
Speaker 2: They do. They recommend a specific type scale like twelve P for captions, fourteen SP for body text, sixteen SP for subheadings, et cetera. Using these standard sizes helps create visual consistency and good readability.
Speaker 1: And even text color isn't just black or gray.
Speaker 2: Often no material design suggests using transparency levels on your primary text color to create secondary or disabled text states. This works better visually, especially on colored backgrounds, than just using different shades of gray.
Speaker 1: Images are vital for a food app. How does Android handle different screen densities?
Speaker 2: MDPI, ACPI, right devices have different pixel densities. To make images look sharp everywhere without wasting memory, you provide multiple versions of each image asset in density specific drawable folders, drawable, MDPA, drawable, HDPI, drawable, XHDPI, drawble XHDPI, et cetera.
Speaker 1: Do you really need all of them?
Speaker 2: Often No. For most apps, providing versions for MDPI, HDPI, XXDPI, and maybe XDFDPI covers the vast majority of device as well. The system automatically picks the best one for the device it's running.
Speaker 1: On, as long as you reference it correctly. Like at drawable my image.
Speaker 2: Exactly, you use the resource ID and Android handles selecting the right density version. It's much more efficient than just using one huge image and material guidelines suggest photographic images should be clear, simple, and have an unambiguous subject.
Speaker 1: A really common material component is the cardview. Those rounded rectangles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're everywhere. Cardview is great for grouping related information and image some text maybe a button about a single topic, perfect for showing our sandwich ingredients or menu items.
Speaker 1: Is known in the support library.
Speaker 2: Yep, so they work back to API level seven. A card view itself is just a container, usually with its own layout inside, like a linear layout or relative layout holding the actual content.
Speaker 1: They have a built in shadow effect to the elevation right.
Speaker 2: A default elevation of two DP, which typically increases to ADP when it's pressed or actively being interacted with gives nice visual feedback. And remember to use string resources at string ingredient name for text inside cards not hard coded strings essential for translation later.
Speaker 1: Image ratio on card matter too, right, sixteen point nine or one point one usually.
Speaker 2: Those are common guidelines for visual consistency.
Speaker 1: Yeah okay. Another core UI element the app bar or toolbar.
Speaker 2: The toolbar is the modern replacement for the old action bar. A key difference is that the toolbar is a view group you actually place inside your layout XML, giving you much more control over its position and behavior compared to the action bar You.
Speaker 1: Put the title there, maybe navigation icons action buttons like searcher settings.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and you control which action icons appear directly in the toolbar versus collapsing into an overflow menu using the show as action attribute in your MENUXML file options like if room or always again.
Speaker 1: Using string resources for titles and menu items always good practice. And the slide out navigation drawer is another standard material pattern. You mentioned something called ratio key lines for dividing vertical space in there.
Speaker 2: Ah. Yeah, that's a more subtle material guideline for components like a navigation drawer header. It suggests using scandered aspect ratios like sixteen point nine four point three one point one to defy fine key horizontal division lines based on the components with So.
Speaker 1: If the drawers say three twenty dp wide, the sixteen point nine key line would be it owned eightydp down from the top. Yeah, three twenty nine.
Speaker 2: To sixteen exactly. Using these key lines for placing major elements like the bottom of a header image can create a more visually harmonious layout. It's about structured.
Speaker 1: Proportions, interesting detail, okay. Shifting from UI to code structure and data organization structural patterns, the singleton is a well known one.
Speaker 2: The singleton pattern ensures you only ever have one instance of a particular class in your entire application, and it provides a single global way to access that instance, like the.
Speaker 1: Current user idea. Usually only one person is logged into the app at a.
Speaker 2: Time, right, It's useful for managing things that are inherently singular, like access to a shared resource, maybe a database connection pool, though that's debatable, global configuration, or yeah, the currently logged in user's data.
Speaker 1: But the source warns about overusing it definitely.
Speaker 2: Singletons can make testing harder and create tight coupling between different parts of your app if you're not careful use them thoughtfully.
Speaker 1: We talked about basic layouts, linear layout, relative layout. The source mentions using percentages for more flexible sizing.
Speaker 2: Yes, sometimes fixed dimensions or even weights don't quite give you the proportional layout you want across different screen sizes. The percent support library provides percent relative layout and percent frame layout.
Speaker 1: Letting you say this view should take up thirty percent.
Speaker 2: Of the screen with exactly layout fix percent or lay with height percent. It can help avoid distortion or awkward spacing on unusually sized screens.
Speaker 1: And for fundamentally different layouts, like for a phone versus a tablet.
Speaker 2: That's where resource qualifiers are essential. You create different layout directories named with qualifiers like reslayout sixty six hundred DP for screens with a small swidth of six hundred DP or more like small tablets, or reslay out lasex of twenty DP for larger tablets. Android automatically picks the layout from the most appropriate directory.
Speaker 1: So you might have reslayot activity main dot XML for fur phones and reslayoutsh sex six hundred deep activity main dot XML for tablets.
Speaker 2: Precisely keeps your device specific layouts separate and organized, and layout aliases can help bridge the gap for older devices that used older qualifiers like large or x large, letting them reuse your newer SWOW qualified layouts without duplicating files.
Speaker 1: Okay, our sandwich app needs lists, list of ingredients, list of menu items, list of past orders. How do we display these efficiently, especially if they get long?
Speaker 2: The modern standard for this is recycler view. It's designed specifically for displaying large or potentially large data sets efficiently.
Speaker 1: What makes it efficient?
Speaker 2: Its key feature is view recycling. Instead of creating a new view object for every single item in your list, which gets incredibly slow and memory hungry for long lists, Recycler View reuses the view objects as they scroll offscreen.
Speaker 1: So it keeps a small pool of views and just updates their content as you.
Speaker 2: Scroll exactly much much better performance. To make it work, you need three components.
Speaker 1: Okay, what are they?
Speaker 2: First? The layout manager. This determines how the items are arranged in a vertical list, linear layout manager, a grid grid layout manager, or even a staggered grid a stagger grid layout manager. The adapter. This is the bridge between your data like your list of ingredient objects, and the recycler View. It's responsible for creating the views when needed and binding your data to those views.
Speaker 1: And Third, the viewholder.
Speaker 2: This is a small helper class usually defined inside your adapter, that holds references to the actual UI elements within a single list items layout, like the text view for the ingredient name the image view for its picture. The adapter uses the viewholder to quickly update the views without needing to repeatedly call find view beyide, so.
Speaker 1: Layout manager positions things, adapter gets the data and creates updates views using viewholders. That's the flow. Now, speaking of adapters, the adapter pattern is also a structural pattern, separate from the recycler of view dot adapter component.
Speaker 2: Right, yes, good distinction. The adapter pattern is a general design pattern whose purpose is to allow two incompatible interfaces to work together.
Speaker 1: How does it do that.
Speaker 2: You create an adapter class that implements the interface the client code expects to use. Inside this adapter class holds a reference to an objects that has the interface you actually have. The adapter then translates calls from the expected interface into calls on the actual object's interface.
Speaker 1: Like the example with old location versus new location. You make an adapter that looks like new location, but internally uses an old location object to do the work exactly.
Speaker 2: It's like putting a plug adapter on your European hair dryer so you can plug it into a US socket. It converts the interface. It's often used to integrate legacy code or third party libraries that don't quite fit your current system's interfaces.
Speaker 1: Okay, and how does this differ from the bridge pattern. They sound a bit similar structurally.
Speaker 2: The key difference is intent and timing. The adapter pattern is usually applied after the fact to make existing incompatible things work together. The bridge pattern is typically designed upfront to decouple an abstraction from its implementation, So bridge is.
Speaker 1: About proactive separation.
Speaker 2: Right With bridge, you define an interface the abstraction and separate concrete implementations. The client code interacts with the interface, and you can swap out different implementations behind that interface without the client needing to know. It allows the abstraction and implementation to evolve independently. The sandwich interface being separate from how a sandwich is actually stored or built could be a bridge example.
Speaker 1: Adapter fixes incompatibility. Bridge enables independent evolution.
Speaker 2: Got it. Next up the facade pattern. This one seems simpler.
Speaker 1: It often is, but it's very useful. A facade provides a simplified, high level interface to a larger, more complex subsystem. It hides the complexity behind a single entry point.
Speaker 2: Like simplifying a complex ordering system behind a single order manager dot place order method.
Speaker 1: Perfect example, the client doesn't need to know about inventory checking, payment processing, delivery scheduling. They just talk to the.
Speaker 2: Facade makes sense, and the criteria pattern or filter pattern.
Speaker 1: This one is great for dynamically selecting objects from a collection based on different criteria. Think of filtering our list of sandwich ingredients like show me only vegetarian ingredients, or show me ingredients that are local and low calorie.
Speaker 2: Exactly. You define separate criteria objects for each condition, for example, is vegetarian criteria, is local criteria, is low calorie criteria. Then you can use them individually or combine them using logical criteria objects and criteria or criteria.
Speaker 1: So you pass your list of ingredients and the combined criteria object to a filter method and it returns just the matching ingredients precisely.
Speaker 2: It keeps the filtering logic clean, separate, and easily extensible. Adding a new filter like is gluten free criteria doesn't require changing existing code, just adding the new criteria class much better than giant Ifel's chains.
Speaker 1: Okay, we've covered buildings, structuring, and filtering. Let's get into activating patterns, making things happen in the UI and connecting the pieces. Complex scrolling behavior seems like a good place to start.
Speaker 2: Right, especially with coordinator layout. This layout is designed to coordinate interactions between its child views, particularly between scrolling views like recycler view or nested scroll view and an app bar layout.
Speaker 1: The app bar layout holds the toolbar right.
Speaker 2: Maybe other fis yes, and by setting layout scroll flags on the toolbar or other views inside the app bar layout, you control how it reacts when the content below scrolls.
Speaker 1: Like scroll makes it scroll off screen with the content.
Speaker 2: Yep exit until it collapse, makes it scroll partially off until it reaches a minimum height. Enter always makes it reappear immediately when you scroll back up. Snap makes it settle fully open or fully closed.
Speaker 1: And you can make things inside the collapsing toolbar move too, like parallax effects.
Speaker 2: Yeah, using layout collapse mode parallax on an image view inside a collapsing toolbar layout, which often wraps the content inside the app bar layout, or layout collapse mode in to make an element stick at the top. One collapsed coordinator layout enables these rich scrolling effects.
Speaker 1: And we can use our factory pattern to create the actual data list for the recycler view.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, you might have a cheese factory generate a list cheese objects which you then pass to your recycler views adapter.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about implementing that adapter. We know the concepts adapter viewholder, but what does the code look like.
Speaker 2: You'll create a class, say ingredient adapter that extends recyclerview dot adapter. Inside that, you define your viewholder class, which finds and holds references to the views in your list item layout XML as she textview ingredient name, image, view ingredient image.
Speaker 1: Then you implement the required methods in the adapter.
Speaker 2: Right on creteewholder is called when the recycler view needs a new view. Here, you inflate your item layout XML and create a new instance.
Speaker 1: Of your viewholder on bindviewholder.
Speaker 2: That's called when the recycler view wants to display data at a specific position. You get the data item for that p position from your list and use the provided viewholder to set the data on the views og holder dot ingredient name dot, set text ingredient dot, get.
Speaker 1: Name and get adam count. Just returns the size of your data list exactly.
Speaker 2: Then in your activity or fragments on create or on vcreated, you create an instance of your adapter pass at your data list. Create a layout manager and set both the layout manager and the adapter on your recycler view.
Speaker 1: You can add dividers too.
Speaker 2: Yep, using recyclview dot item decoration. There are built in helpers for simple dividers.
Speaker 1: Okay, user interaction, we need buttons like maybe a shopping cart icon action icons.
Speaker 2: Material Design has specific guidelines for icons, size, style, padding. Google provides a standard set of material icons you can easily import into Android Studio. You typically use them with image button or set them as the drawable on a regular button or menu item.
Speaker 1: And colors follow the theme usually yes.
Speaker 2: They often use the primary or secondary text colors with appropriate transparency, adapting to light or dark themes.
Speaker 1: What about confirming an action like tapping the cart icon leads to a proceed to check out?
Speaker 2: Confirmation dialogues dialogues are perfect for that alert Dialogue Builder is the standard way to create simple confirmation dialogues with titles, messages, and standard positive and negative buttons.
Speaker 1: Do you put custom stuff in them?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? You can use builder dot set view and provide your own custom layout XML file inflated. Using layout inflator, this lets you put pretty much any UI elements inside a dialogue.
Speaker 1: Cool. Another common list interaction is swiping items away, like dismissing an ingredient choice.
Speaker 2: Android provides item touch Helper for exactly this. It's a utility class that attaches to your recycler view and handles detecting swipe and dragon drop gestures.
Speaker 1: How do you use it?
Speaker 2: You create an item touch helper simple callback where you override methods like on swiped. When on swiped is called, you get the viewholder that was swiped and the direction. Inside this method, you need to remove the corresponding item from your adapter's data.
Speaker 1: List and then tell the adapter crucially yes.
Speaker 2: After removing the data, you call adapter dot notify item removed cost position, and maybe adapter dot notify item range changed position. Adapter dot get item count. So the recycler view updates its display correctly animating the removal.
Speaker 1: So item touch Helper handles the gesture detection. Your callback handles the data update notification. That's the pattern. Sometimes you might want to build layouts dynamically in code instead of just XML.
Speaker 2: It's less common for mainscreen layouts, but definitely possible and sometimes necessary for highly dynamic content. You can programmatically create instances of linear layout text, view, button, et cetera. Set their properties layout per ams text click listeners and add them to a parent layout in your activities. On create method, the source shows a simple builder like approach for this.
Speaker 1: Okay, we've got a lot of pieces. Let's think about combining patterns for more complex needs, focusing on flexibility and efficiency.
Speaker 2: Right as our sandwich app gets more sofie sticated, maybe storing favorite custom sandwiches, handling complex promotions, planning the data structures becomes really important. You need to think ahead about how data.
Speaker 1: Relates and for efficiency, especially if creating objects is slow or resource intensive, the prototype pattern can help.
Speaker 2: The prototype pattern is all about creating new objects by copying or cloning an existing object instance the prototype.
Speaker 1: Why would you do that instead of just using new.
Speaker 2: It's beneficial when object creation is computationally expensive, like maybe calculating complex nutritional info for a custom sandwich, or when you have an object already configured in a certain state and you want an exact copy of that state without repeating the configuration.
Speaker 1: Steps like the sequence generation example, calculating prime numbers is slow, so you pre calculate a sequence and then just clone it when needed exactly.
Speaker 2: The sequence cash holds prototype sequences, and the client code calls clone on a prototype. Instead of doing the expensive calculation again, you just need your class to implement the clonable interface and override the clone method correctly.
Speaker 1: Another pattern for flexibility is the decorator pattern.
Speaker 2: Decorator is really interesting. It lets you add new responsibilities or behaviors to individual objects dynamically at run time without changing the object's class. It's a flexible alternative to subclassing for extending functionality.
Speaker 1: How does that work? Sounds like magic?
Speaker 2: Think about adding options to our bread. You could have subclasses like buttered roll, toasted roll, buttered toasted roll, but that quickly leads to a class explosion. With decorator, you have your base bread object like roll. Then you have decorator classes like butter decorator and toasted decorator, which also implement the bread interface.
Speaker 1: Do you wrap the original object exactly?
Speaker 2: You create a roll, then wrap it in a butter decorator, Then wrap that in a toasted decorator. New toasted decorator, new butter decorator, new role. Each decorator adds its functionality like adding cost or changing the description, and then delegates the call to the object it wraps, so.
Speaker 1: You can mix and match decorations on the fly for any bread object.
Speaker 2: Precisely, you could add a double portion decorator for fillings too. It allows adding features and layers.
Speaker 1: It sounds a bit like the builder pattern in terms of chaining calls.
Speaker 2: The syntax can look similar, but the purpose is different. Builder constructs an object step by step. Decorator takes a fully formed object and adds extra responsibilities or modifies its behavior after it's already created. Enhancement versus construction got it.
Speaker 1: Moving on to composing patterns, building hierarchies, and making data persistent, The composite pattern seems key for hierarchies.
Speaker 2: It is The composite pattern lets you compose objects into tree structures to represent part whole hierarchies. Crucially, it allows clients to treat individual objects, leaves, and compositions of objects composits uniformly.
Speaker 1: Like Android UI layouts. A text view is a leaf. A linear layout is a composite that can hold leaves or other composites.
Speaker 2: Perfect analogy, you typically have a common component interface that both leaf objects and compositor objects implement. The composite object usually holds a list of child components and delegates. Operations like draw or calculate price to its children.
Speaker 1: So you can call the same method on a single ingredient or a whole custom sandwich object which is a composite of bread fillings, etc.
Speaker 2: Yes, the client code doesn't need to know if it's dealing with a single item or a complex group. You mentioned adding a builder to composite.
Speaker 1: Ye, and the source suggested it could simplify building complex composite structures.
Speaker 2: It definitely can. Manually creating and nesting composite objects in code can get for both. A builder can provide a cleaner API for assembling the tree.
Speaker 1: Okay, structures are great, but our app needs to remember things.
Speaker 2: Persistent data storage essential for user settings, saved orders, preferences. Android offers several ways for static unchanging text. Putting text files in the resrowd directory is simple. They get compiled into the app. You read them using an input stream. Good for help text terms and conditions, stuff that doesn't change. External storage is more for user gen generrated files or sharing between apps.
Speaker 1: But for user preferences like their default delivery address or maybe dietary flags.
Speaker 2: Shared preferences is the go to for simple key value data. It's perfect for storing user settings. You get a shared preferences object, use an editor to put values, strings, booleans, integers, and call apply to save them asynchronously.
Speaker 1: And usually load them in on create and save them in on pause.
Speaker 2: That's a common pattern. Yeah, apply saves in the background so it doesn't block the UI thread, unlike the older commit method.
Speaker 1: The source mentioned a neat trick using shared preferences for first run detection.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can store a boolean flag like is a first run check for it when the app starts. If it's not there or true, you know it's the first launch, show your onboarding, and then set the flag to false. Another way is to generate and store a unique ID using Java dot util dot uid on the first run. If the ID exists on subsequent launches, it's.
Speaker 1: Not the first run clever, okay. Let's shift to how different parts of the app communicate and react to events, observing patterns.
Speaker 2: This involves patterns that help manage dependencies and notifications between objects, essential when the app isn't actively in the foreground. User notifications are key here.
Speaker 1: Things that appear in the status bar right.
Speaker 2: Usually triggered by background components like services. They alert the user to something important, even if they're not using the app right now.
Speaker 1: The observer pattern underlies.
Speaker 2: A lot of this, doesn't it It does. The observer pattern defines a one to many dependency between objects. When one object, the subject or observable, changes state, all its dependents observers are notified automatically.
Speaker 1: Like our sandwich object could be the subject and an order object could be an observer. When the sandwich is marked ready, the order gets notified exactly.
Speaker 2: The observer registers itself with the subject, and the subject calls a specific method like update on all its registered observers when its state changes. Java even has built in Java dot util dot observer and Java dot util dot observable classes, though newer approaches using libraries like love data or arcs java are often preferred.
Speaker 1: Now, how does this relate to the Android Notifications API?
Speaker 2: The system notifications you see in the status bar are a way for your app, often a background service acting as an observer of some event, to notify the user. The API lets you build these notifications, and it can be more.
Speaker 1: Than just text. Right actions, big pictures?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, You use notification compat dot builder to construct them. You can set icons, titles, text, vibration patterns, You can add actions like buttons within the notification using pending intents that trigger something in your app when tapped. You can create expanded notifications with big text style, big picture style, or inbox style to show more content, and.
Speaker 1: Newer Android versions have heads up notifications.
Speaker 2: API twenty one plus introduced heads up notifications that slide in briefly at the top and lock screen notifications. You need to set priorities and visibility flags visibility, public, visibility, private, et cetera to control where and how your notifications appear and use them judiciously for important timely info.
Speaker 1: You mentioned services triggering these What are services?
Speaker 2: Services are Android components designed for running long running operations in the background without a user interface. Think playing music, downloading files, or in our case, maybe monitoring an order status or setting a reminder timer.
Speaker 1: So a service could run, detect the sandwiches ready, and then use the Notifications API to tell the user exactly.
Speaker 2: Services have their own life cycle on create, on start, command, on destroy. It's crucial to manage their life cycle correctly, especially stopping them stop service or stop self when their work is done to avoid draining battery.
Speaker 1: Okay, moving towards more complex interactions and algorithms behavioral patterns.
Speaker 2: These patterns focus on how objects collaborate and distribute responsibilities to accomplish tasks.
Speaker 1: The template pattern is first.
Speaker 2: Template defines the skeleton of an algorithm in a base class, often abstract, but let subclasses override specific steps of that algorithm without changing the overall structure.
Speaker 1: So the base class provides the template the fixed sequel of steps, and subclasses fill in the implementation details for some of those steps precisely.
Speaker 2: Like a prepare sandwich template method in a base class might call abstract methods get bread, ad fillings, add toppings. Concrete subclasses like prepare clip sandwich or prepare veggie sandwich would implement those abstract methods differently, but the overall prepare sandwich sequence remains the same.
Speaker 1: Got it enforces structure, allows variation in steps. How does this strategy pattern compare.
Speaker 2: Strategy also deals with algorithms, but its focus is on making a family of algorithms interchangeable. You encapsulate each algorithm into a separate strategy object, and the context object holds a reference to one of these strategies and delegates the algorithmic task to it.
Speaker 1: The key difference being you can swap the strategy at run time.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's the main distinction from template, where the implementation is fixed by the subclass at compile time. With strategy, the context object can change which strategy it uses whenever needed.
Speaker 1: Like having different delivery strategies flat rate strategy, distance based strategy, rush hour strategy, and choosing the right one based on the order time or location.
Speaker 2: Perfect example, the order object the context would hold a pricing strategy object and call its calculate price method. You can easily swap in a different strategy object to change the pricing logic.
Speaker 1: Okay. The visitor pattern seems a bit more involved.
Speaker 2: Visitor lets you add new operations to a set of existing classes without modifying those classes. It separates the algorithm from the object structure.
Speaker 1: It operates on supermarket analogy. The cashier visitor knows how to process different items visited elements without the items needing to know about the cashier specific process exactly.
Speaker 2: You have an item interface with an accept visitor v method. Concrete items, bread, filling, drink implement this method, usually by calling visitor dot visit this. Then you have a visitor interface with overloaded visit methods for each concrete item type visit breadbe, visit filling F.
Speaker 1: So a calculat price visitor would implement visit breadbe to get the bread price, visit filling F to get the filling price, et cetera.
Speaker 2: Right, and later you could add a generate nutritional info visitor with its own set of visit methods, all without ever changing the bread, filling, or drink classes. It avoids polluting your element classes with lots of different operations and makes adding new operations easier.
Speaker 1: Useful for complex processing on diverse object structures. Finally, the state.
Speaker 2: Pattern state allows an object to alter its behavior when its internal state changes to the outside world. The object appears to change its class.
Speaker 1: Like the turnstyle example, it behaves differently push coin depending on whether it's in the locked or unlocked state.
Speaker 2: Yes, you define a state interface and concrete state classes lock state, unlocked state. The context object the turnstyle holds a reference to its current state object. When a method like push is called on the context, it delegates the call to the current state object current stage out push the state object handles the logic for that state, and can also change the context's current state to transition it context dot sets state.
Speaker 1: Unlock state, so the behavior logic is encapsulated within each state class. Makes handling state dependent behavior much cleaner than massive I, false or switch statements in the context.
Speaker 2: Object exactly very useful for modeling anything with distinct states and transitions, like workflows, game characters, connection statuses.
Speaker 1: We've mostly talked phone tablet but Android is on watches, TVs, cars, wearable patterns, and other form factors.
Speaker 2: Right. Developing for Android ware, now Ware OS, Android TV, and Android Auto presents different challenges and opportunities. Screen size, input methods, user context all very different.
Speaker 1: Android TV big screen remote control input yeah.
Speaker 2: Ten foot UI experience. Androids Studio has TV module templates. You'll use the leanback support library for TV specific UI components like rows and grids optimized for remote navigation. The MVP model view presenter pattern is often recommended for structuring the.
Speaker 1: App logic and specific requirements for things like recommendation card background images.
Speaker 2: Yes, very specific dimensions and bleed requirements much larger than typical phone assets. Graphics quality really matters on a big TV screen.
Speaker 1: Than tiny screens.
Speaker 2: Android ware os often companion apps linked to a phone, but increasingly capable standalone apps too. They have access to unique sensors like heart rate monitors, opening new possibilities. Maybe our sandwich app suggests healthier options based on your activity level.
Speaker 1: The big challenge there are screen shape right square versus.
Speaker 2: Round YEP two main approaches. Create separate layout files for square and round screens reslayout and reslay out round, or use the watch view stub component in your layout. Watch v stub detects the screen shape at runtime and inflates either erect layout or round layout you.
Speaker 1: Specify reading sensors like heart rate.
Speaker 2: Uses the standard Android sensor manager and sensor event listener in her face, just like on a phone, Get the manager, get the default sensor EVEG sensor dot type, hart rate, register your listener and get data in on sensor changed. Always check if the sensor actually exists on the specific watch.
Speaker 1: Model first, and Android auto safety is paramount.
Speaker 2: Absolutely number one priority. App functionality is heavily restricted to minimize driver distraction. Primarily it's for audio, music apps and messaging apps.
Speaker 1: Strict guidelines and testing very strict.
Speaker 2: Google has detailed design guidelines about layout, font sizes, interaction models. Voice input is key. Avoiding animations or delays you need to use autosimulators for testing. App configuration involves manifest meather data, linking to an XML descriptor file, declaring the app type media or messaging, and requiring specific background services.
Speaker 1: Okay, to get our app out there and maybe make some money. Social patterns and distribution patterns.
Speaker 2: Social integration can be a huge boost for discovery and engagement likes shares.
Speaker 1: The webew component seems versatile here it is.
Speaker 2: WebView lets you display web pages directly inside your app. Back to useful for showing help documentation, hosted online terms of service, or even building parts of your app using webtech. If content needs frequent updates without pushing an app update needs the Internet permission obviously.
Speaker 1: Just add it to your layout and call load to role.
Speaker 2: Basically yes. For more advanced stuff, you can enable JavaScript and use the JavaScript interface. This lets your web page's JavaScript call native Java methods in your Android app.
Speaker 1: How does that work?
Speaker 2: You create a Java class with methods annotated at JavaScript interface. You add an instance of this class to the WebView using ad JavaScript interface. Then JavaScript code in the webpage can call those annotated methods directly, allowing two way communication. Powerful, but needs careful security considerations.
Speaker 1: For direct social sharing.
Speaker 2: Facebook requires the Facebook SDK. You add it as a dependency set up a Facebook app I d add it to your strings, dot xml and manifest. Then you can use their pre built UI components like like view or share button directly in your layouts. Sharing content links photos is done via their API, usually requiring a content provider set up in your manifest. For sharing local files, their sharing Debugger tool is essential for testing how your shared posts will look. Pure similar idea, you can use the Twitter SDK, often integrated via fabric Firebase, for simple tweeting. You might even just use an intent with a specific Twitter dot Com intent tweet url structure. The SDK offers more for timelines, direct messaging, et cetera.
Speaker 1: Finally, getting the app to users distribution.
Speaker 2: Before you publish anywhere, crucial checks remove all log statements used for debugging, ensure your app has a proper application label ANDROIDBAT label in icon, android dot icon defined in the Android manifest dot xml, and double check that all required permissions uses permission are declared.
Speaker 1: In the manifest. The main distribution channel is.
Speaker 2: Google play Right that involves generating a signed release build APK or the preferred Android app bundle AaB, registering for a Google Play Developer account, which has a one time fee, and uploading your app bundle through the Play console, filling in store, listing details, screenshots.
Speaker 1: Et cetera. Are there other options?
Speaker 2: Sure, you can host the apkab on your own website for direct download or distribute it via email or other platforms, but Google Play offers the widest reach. Automatic updates and discovery features.
Speaker 1: And making money monetization.
Speaker 2: Two main routes in at billing, selling digital goods or subscriptions and advertising.
Speaker 1: In that billing sounds complex.
Speaker 2: It can be. Google provides the Play Billing Library, which simplifies it greatly compared to the older ADL approach mentioned in some sources. You add the library dependency, use the billing client API to query products, launch purchase flows, and handle purchases. You still need the colm dot Android dot vending dot billing permission and need to set up your products in Play console. Security, like verifying purchases on your.
Speaker 1: Server is important, and ads usually Google ad Mob.
Speaker 2: That's the most common. You need an ad mob account. Add the Google Mobile Ads SDK dependency part of Google Play services. Add Internet and access network state permissions to your manifest plus some metadata and an AD activity declaration.
Speaker 1: Then put an adview in the layout yep.
Speaker 2: Add an adview to your XML layout, configure its size and your unique AD unit ID. Then in your activity code, create an AD request and call adview dot loaded ad request. Crucially, during development, make sure you can figure it to request test ads, either by registering your device ID or using the emulator so you don't violate ad MOB policies.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, so we've gone from the basic idea of a sandwich app through defining patterns, building UI for different devices, handling data, background tasks, social features, all the way to publishing and monetizing.
Speaker 2: It really highlights how these patterns weave through the entire development process. They provide structure, solve recurring problems, and guide you towards writing code that's more robust, flexible, and maintainable. They're not just academic exercises, the practical tools for building better software.
Speaker 1: Seeing how factory helps create ingredients, builder assembles the same now which rule like review displays lists, observer handles updates, state manages, order progress. It makes the value really clear exactly.
Speaker 2: They give you a shared language and proven approaches to common challenges.
Speaker 1: So maybe the final thought for everyone listening is this. As you start your next project, or even just tackle a new feature, pause for a moment. Think about the problem you're trying to solve. Is there a pattern here? Could applying a pattern like decorator, strategy or facade simplify your design, make it more flexible, or prevent future headaches. Howmit thinking about patterns from the start, change the way you approach building, not just for phones, but for the whole diverse ecosystem of Android devices.