Speaker 1: Kalaruga Shark Media.
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm Johnny mag with your daily comedy news. Just again. I'm stunned it how much there is this week. Normally this is a really quiet week. We'll do the Emmys in the second half of the show. The Emmy nominations are out, but let's start with the fighting stuff, because that's what I like. Tony Hinchcliffe was a guest on The Joe Rogan Experience. The conversation turned to the roast of Kevin Hart at its year for both language and facing.
Speaker 1: What's it been like like the weirdness, the post roast weirdness.
Speaker 3: I'm always surprised by these things. I'm always surprised that they last so long that anybody's talking about it. It's so bizarre. I was surprised with the Pang Dang thing. I was surprised at the Trump thing. And this one is really surprising because with other one they're like, Ah, there's a time and a place for jokes like that or this or that or whatever, and this is the time and the place for it. Is like the roast of Kevin Hart. You know, I'm gonna go for it. Yeah, and we roasted Kevin, you know, I did a George Floyd joke in the uh at the Tom Brady roast and then this one. People are offended or something I don't know, And yeah, if you just watch that clip on my dismount, it's a crazy clip. But if you watch the entire flow of the roast set, it's just one last departing joke, which that's my thing. Man. It's like I knew Earthquake would be standing up on his feet like he was halfway through my set, you know. You know there's standing o's that are happening during my actual roast and on this one because there were so many people on it. It was such a long, big roast. You know, they set you to an allotted time. So I'm like, okay, I'm going to do something I don't normally do and blast off more jokes per minute than I normally do. Instead of milking it and getting applause breaks and things like that, I'm just going to create a bang bang bang bang bang final stand up things. You know, what's funny is that I have something that's supposed to offend everybody, Like I don't want you to like one hundred percent of any of my jokes I'm not that guy. I'm heelish, I'm a bad guy wrestling thing exactly. So what's funny because people got offended about the George Floyd thing, and people a lot of people said, yeah, well Pete Davidson did a Charlie Kirk joke, and they're comparing these things from two different spectrums. But what they didn't mention is that I did a Charlie Kirk joke in my set. You know what, everybody gets them. Everybody gets it is always might get some jokes everybody does. I said that Kevin has a quite the fan base. He has more gunfire at his merch table than Charlie Kirk or whatever. And so you know, for them to for people to nitpick that joke and be offended, and it's funny because it was a lot of a lot of comedians, a lot of black comedians were like, I'm upset about this. You know, they made their videos, which is just hilarious because they're not on the roast, they're not in attendance at the roast. You saw it, Tommy Harsh that was the best one. Nobody handled it better than her.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, there was another kerfluffle involving mega comedian Nate Bergatzy last weekend. It was July fourth, Saturday, July fourth, and normally on Saturday they would air a rerun of Saturday Night Live, but no, it was July fourth, so they didn't. However, on SNL's Instagram, they posted a sketch called Washington's Dream, which of course stars mega comedian Nate Bergatzi. If you don't know why he's a mega comedian because one time he went to a UFC fight at the White House, the Daily Beast tells us the traditionally progressive fans of SNL lashed out when his sketch was on Saturday. One social media user said, really not the time, NBCSNL. Another told the program to read the room. Yeah, how absurd that you would post a George Washington sketch on July fourth. That's crazy. Meanwhile, The Daily Beast caught up with wkmal Bell, who recently posted a substack about mega comedian Aperghatzy. Bell told the Beasts, throughout the history of the White House, going to the White House is a political decision, but now it's not only a political decision, but it is a caustic and toxic decision based on what this administration is doing, like holding a UFC fight. Maybe you wanted to see some fights that THO would be kind of cool to see one on the White House lawn, and maybe you'd run into Shane Gillis in the back, who knows Cameu admitted that he used to be a huge UFC fan, So I relate in the sense that this is a thing that I loved, and there's a version of this where I might have felt like I should go. They asked, come out, does Nate actually want to be a maga comedian? Bell said, I'll say this, his accountant doesn't want him to be a maga comedian, the concern being that being a mega comedian will hurt Nate's bottom line because he's bigger than every maga comedian. There's nothing he's going to gain from losing people who are like I just think that guy's funny. He cuts across race and ethnicity and religion and socionomic background in politics. So why would you suddenly put that in a box. I don't know. Maybe you wanted to go see a UFC fight, and Cheryl Hines was like, Hey, do you want to take a picture with me and my husband? And he went, yeah, sure, they'll at it. If anything, Nate, this is me trying to help you. Who are the people around you who are supposed to say, don't do that. Whether that's your politics or not, that's not a good business decision for you, Nate. It's not good doesn't help your brand in any way. The conversation turned to Tony Hinchcliff's recent Netflix special. Belle said, I have not watched Tony Hinchcliff's new special, but I'm not hearing great things. The Daily Beast points out that Tony Hinchcliff was also at the UFC fight. Was he I missed that? Okay? Belle said, well, I mean Tony Hinchcliff has basically made himself a henchman to Donald Trump's joker. Why wouldn't he be there? Shane Gillis when he's not at UFC fight, said, the White House sometimes hangs out, apparently with Kanye West. A photo has appeared of Kanye West and Shane Gillis hanging backstage after Kanye's at Texas concert. We know this because Shane Gillis posted it. All right, I promise hear this one from yesterday. I had a bump it. Reen Wilson not happy with Ricky Gervis. Before I get into the clip, let me remind everyone. Rain Wilson perhaps possibly best known for playing Dwight on The Office, which was a spinoff of the British series called The Office written and created by Ricky Gervas and Stephen Merchant. So Rain Wilson might want to remember where his whole career comes from. But anyway, here's Reen Wilson on the Soul Bloom podcast edits for language.
Speaker 1: One of the things that pisses me off to no end is Ricky Gervase saying, just just take your after award. No one wants to hear what you have to say. Guess what Everyone gets to say what they want to say about anything. Yeah, Gaza, climate change, politics, you get to say it. If you're a truck driver, you get to say it. Yeah, if you're a school teacher.
Speaker 2: And you're winning in this country.
Speaker 1: And it's we have free speech, and you know if people don't want to hear it, they don't have to give you an a war and.
Speaker 2: He's never put any limits on his speech.
Speaker 1: No, no, And like, yeah, is it going to change, you know, war or climate change? With you saying something for seventy five seconds after you win a golden globe like, no, but why would you try and shame and silence someone from speaking their truth? I mean, it shouldn't just be for the sake of it. Hopefully what you're saying is well researched, and hopefully you're doing something about that cause that you want to speak to, and it's not just kind of like what do they call that mood signaling or whatever, virtue virtue signaling or something like that. And I think everyone from janitor to act you do not need to be an academic, you need to have a PhD. You don't need to be a politician or an expert to speak out on what moves.
Speaker 2: You rain relaxed dude. Brian bonumgottner Is shared his story. Apparently this anecdote's around for five years or so, but I had missed it. Some people wondered in the Office US finale how Kevin went up with a bar. Brian said, I can't go on a bar and not be offered a drink. They want to have a drink with Kevin Malone. So the storyline is shot but not air that Kevin Malone goes into bars. Everyone wants to buy him a drink. There's a particular bar in Scranted, Pennsylvania that he goes in all the time, and he's accumulated such a credit at the bar from people buying him drinks that he uses. That is leverage to own the bar. That is a true written story that was shot. Now coming out next week is The Office US Complete Series super Fan Extended episodes with twenty five plus hours of unaired footage. Now I'm not going to buy the whole series on DVD again, but this all new collection reconstructs every installment of the landmark series with additional footage per episode, delivering more than twenty five hours of unaired asterisk material. The asterisk is during initial TV broadcast run, so some of these things have been around runtime one hundred hours and twenty minutes. The Office the Complete Series super Fan Extended episodes available on digital and Blu Ray July fourteenth. Looking ahead to the weekend, I think I'm going to make this weekend Saturday deep dive about The Office UK, being that it's the anniversary today, Happy anniversary, everybody. Josh Johnson told Deadline that unlike his YouTube sets, he intends his specials to be timeless. He says, the intention that I have what everything I do, is like most people don't feel as great as they are walking around. A lot of people don't feel in sync with their life and personally don't feel like their own melody. Sometimes there's just this noise in your head and there's this external disruption that's going on all the time, whether it's negative news or negative opinions and stuff like that. He says that you shouldn't just completely shut out what's happening in the world. It's important to be part of the world you're in, but if you're in the world, you must be worth the world. And I don't think people walk around with that feeling. So if I could be a part of changing that, that means a lot to me. Vyies tells us that wedding officiator Adam Sandler has a running neighborhood prank with Conan O'Brien. We are told that one of Adam Sandler's favorite gags is to yell O'Brien's name out in front of his house whenever he passes by, whether he's on f foot, riding a bike, or driving through the neighborhood. According to Conan, there was a time when a celebrity bus tour happened to catch wedding officiator Adam Sandler in the act. It's become such a common occurrence that Saidlor's kids expect them to do it every time they're in the area. The Emmy nominations came out on Wednesday. Hacks landed twenty four nominations, beating the record of twenty three previously held by The Studio and The Bear. It has also surpassed Shit's Creek for most nominations for a comedy series. Now, Hacks is nice and all, but like Relax, it is not the greatest thing. Ever, It's good. Hacks gott nominations for Best Comedy Series, Best Actress for Gene Smart, Best Supporting Actress for Hannah Einbinder and Megan Statler, and Best Supporting Actor for Paul w. Downs. This brings hacks lifetime Emmy total to eighty six nominations and twelve wins. Meanwhile, The Late Show with Steven Colbert got nine Emmy nominations. That was the biggest award showing of Colbert's eleven year tenure behind the Desk For this year. The most he ever got was five nominations three years in a row twenty twenty, twenty twenty one, and twenty twenty two. The Late Show is up for a Variety series, writing for a Variety series, directing for a variety series, production design for a variety series, technical direction and camera work, lighting designed, sound mixing for a variety series, picture editing for variety programming, and music direction. Late Nighter reminds us this year is the first time in over decade that shows across the Late Night field will compete in the recombined Outstanding Variety Series category, which emerges what had previously been Variety Talk Series and a separate scripted Variety Series category. Also, the rules this year are weird and stupid. Rather than selecting a single winner, voters will consider each nominated series on a yes or no basis, with any show receiving yes votes from ninety percent or more of eligible voters winning an Emmy. That means the category could produce more than one winner, which of course is stupid. If no nominee gets ninety percent, the Emmy will go to the series with the highest percentage of yes votes. The nominees Outstanding variety series are The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, The Daily Show, Jimmy Kimmelive, Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, and Saturday Night Live. Good shot that they all win, which is stupid. Let's give it a Colbert just to stick it to CBSD. The nominees for Best Comedy Series are Abbot, Elementary, The Bear, which of course is not a comedy, Hacks, Margo's Got Money, Troubles, which apparently is a show on Apple TV. Nobody wants this from Netflix, Only Murders in the Building, Shrinking, and Widow's Bay from Apple TV, which I hear is very good. I haven't gotten to it yet. I've been watching soccer every day of my life except yesterday, but I had volleyball. Lead Actor in a Comedy Series yah Abdul Medine the second for wonder Man, Steve Grell for Rooster, Matthew Rees for Widow's Bay, Jason Siegel for Shrinking, Martin Short for Only Murders. Lead Actress in a Comedy Series. The nominations are Quinton Brunson for Abbot, Iu Edaberry for The Bear, which of course is not a comedy, and Ellie Fanning for Margo's Got Money Trouble, Lisa Kudro for The Comeback, and Gene Smart for Hacks. Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series Colman Domingo for the Four Seasons, Paul w Downs for Hacks, Harrison Ford for Shrinking We Got to do that, That's just fun, Nick Offerman from Margo's Got Money Troubles, Steven Root for Widows Bay, Michael Uri for Shrinking Tailor James Williams for Abbott Elementary. The nominees for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series are Dale Dickey for Widows Bay, Hannah Einbinder for Hacks, Janelle James for Abbott, Kate O'Flynn for Widows Bay, Michelle Pfeiffer for Margo's Got Money Troubles, Making Statler for Hacks, and Jessica Williams for Shrinking. And Outstanding Animated Program. The nominees are Star Wars, Vision, South Park, Spiling Friends, Simpson's and Bob's Burgers continuing the Great Hoax. I hope Bob's Burgers win and then everyone in on the Hoax will be like, I can't believe they fell for this. Let me ask you two questions, have you ever seen Bob's Burgers? The answer is no, And more importantly, have you ever met anyone who has seen Bob's Burgers? The answer is also no. Oh, think about that. Sometimes, while we're all fawning over Stephen Colbert, Late Night er tells us we now have a full month of live plus seven ratings data for Byron Allen's two hour CBS late night block. How's it doing Late Night Or summarizes He's a distant third, but the floor is holding. Byron Allen's hour is averaging just under seven hundred thousand viewers, about a quarter of Jimmy Kimmel's two point seven and half The Tonight Show's one point four. Now, this is interesting, Late Nighter says every other program in late night sheds audiences on Fridays. Kimmel drops twenty nine percent, Seth drops twenty two percent, The Tonight Show slips seven percent. Byron Allen goes up eleven percent. Now, if we look at the eighteen to forty nine's, Byron Allen's hour averages seventy eight thousand viewers in a nation of three hundred million plus seventy eight thousand yikes. Nightline which doesn't even start till twelve thirty five, has double that. Even Seth Myers beats that number. I mean, come on, Late Nighter says, nobody records this sh Joe. Ninety six percent of the blocks total weekly audience's watches live or same day, meaning it's the least time shifted programming in late night. Kimmel's audience adds seventeen percent to his audience over a week of delayed viewing the Daily Show, more than doubles and Late Nighter points out that the Knicks championship run was in here and that helped Kimmel's numbers a little bit, but gives us a pretty good sense of where things are in late night. And that is your comedy news for today. I will see tomorrow.