Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get it started at the five o'clock hour underway here on a Thursday afternoon. Coffee and company. That's us and we are fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety Keith Thornton's in mind not only for the obvious things that you think of when it comes to a gas station convenience store, but also keep them in mind for food. They've got delicious food items. If you haven't tried the taketos yet, give them a shot because they're really delicious and I think you'll be back for even more of them. But hey, you won't know until you find out, So stop in at one of the Mini Kentucky and at Thornton's locations. If you are in Kentuckyenna, there's likely one close to you because they're everywhere supplying demand, right they need to beat mean, there were two that popped up within a few miles of where I live, within like you know, a year. They're everywhere because again they're great. We appreciate our friends over there at Thornton's Coffee. That's me the company man, mister John Alden is alongside just like he is each and every single day. That's us hence the name Coffee and Company. And also you guys are part of the company as well, So thanks for hanging out. If you want to join us, you can. We're wide open here in the five o'clock hour, So no guest, if you want to give us a call, you can do it. Five OO two five seven one seventy nine hundred is the number. You can also text in on the ellen n Federal Credit Unions X line five O two six five three zero seven ninety members get more at Ellenn Federal Credit Union. You can learn more and open your account today at LNFCU dot com. So the feeling that I had on on Monday night was a feeling I really hadn't had in a long time, and that was watching my Louisville basketball team that I you know, I am a lunatic for If that is a thing, like, hey, I'm a lunatic for you, that would probably not be something that people would hear and feel good about. They might think you're a crazy person, but hey, I know I'm not the only one that's crazy about the louisvill basketball program. And it's unhealthy for sure, but it is what it is. When I say, on hell healthy, it's unhealthy. How much my morale and mood changes whenever things are going good or bad. And clearly things have been bad for a while for Louisville basketball.
Speaker 1: But not anymore.
Speaker 2: I mean, really, it's been an upward climb since Pat Kelsey got hired. He did everything I feel like you can do up until you know you can actually give results that matter and mean the most, which is winning and losing, and so far he's one to zero. But the way in which they played, and I mean I wasn't there obviously, I didn't get to go, and when I do go to games this year, I never can stick around for the whole thing because I got to do the postgame show. But I'll be at plenty of this year, trust me. But you know, just to see from my house watching the crowd get into it, and clearly they were feeding off of how hard this team was playing. And I went back and watched a little bit of it last night. I put it on the iPad for Moose. He's all in, baby, he's all in on mean, perfect age for him, perfect age for how this played out so selfishly for me. Not only is it great that you know, we're out with the old era in with the new one. But before this year, Moose wasn't old enough to really understand like if we were like winning and losing, right, But now he like knows, Hey, every time there's any game on football, basketball, baseball, anything, if we turn on wrestling or boxing or you have c anything, dad who we like, Dad who we like? He wants to know which team we're rooting for. And he doesn't have to ask me when it comes to the go cards because he knows that's our team. But you know, it's good now that he's you know, he's he's he's likely going to see a lot more winning than losing, and that's that's good. But anyways, when it comes to the you know, watching this group on Monday, I mean, I really do believe that they played better than they've played at any like they put it this way. They played harder. You could tell there was more attention to detail. The intensity was there, and that's been there every step of the way. And the two exhibitions in the Bahamas and the two exhibition games they played this year just a few weeks ago, like they've played hard and looked and looked the part and looked like a team that is coached by Pat Kelsey. But it was a different level on Monday night. And that's great to see because it's a real game and it counts, and I mean, you were able to jump up quite a bit in the Knpom because you beat a team by forty eight points. And you know, I'm well aware that they're going to have a different kind of challenge against Tennessee on Saturday. But to go back to those feelings that we didn't have for a long time, now they're coming back and they feel better than they probably did the last time around, because you know what, the last time around, it was more of a normal thing. It was more of, you know, a routine type of thing. We've been in a drought. We are desperate, we are starving for good vibes when it comes to Louisville basketball, and Monday was great. But now I'm feeling just the big game vibe right, like knowing, hey, here we go, Louisville basketball is about to have a big afternoon at the Yump Center, taking on a top fifteen team, and I don't know about you, guys, that can only speak for me. I think they're going to win. I do, and clearly that just sounds like the most Homerish thing to say. But if you listen to them even a little bit, I don't usually do that. Like, you know, I'm not afraid to say what I think will happen. But like if I felt like Louisville, you know, was likely going to lose, but man, they could compete and maybe they pull off a big upset like I I mean, I'll be honest with you. And again, you know me even a little bit. You know I'm often wrong. We all are. It was easy to you know, it was easy to be able to predetermine who wins any game. Then you know we wouldn't play sports because you know, I mean, I guess we would, but you could keep that a secret and make a billion dollars gambling on it. So again, what I'm trying to say is like, if you just look at the personnel on both sides, it's not a far fetched thing at all. In fact, I am eager to see what the spread is in this game. Tennessee will probably be favored but I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong here because Tennessee being ranked preseason number twelve, I feel like it's due to the fact that they have a coach that deserves respect, like he deserves the benefit of the doubt, because more often than not, Tennessee's good. In the last seven years, Rick Barnes has won more SEC games than anybody else. So, you know, I get that their preseason ranked, but I think they're the perfect example of a team that's preseason ranked because of where they were last year and they did decent in the portal, but not to the level that Louisville did. And they do bring back one guy that I think is clearly worthy of, you know, not only respect, but like he's a good player, Zekai Zigler. He's been there a long time, he's been solid. Maybe he ends up being the guy for them this year. But if that's the case and he's their best player, which I think he is, I think that's pretty telling. Not that they're going to be terrible, but that Louisville maybe they don't have a guy that's as good as Ziggler, which I think they do. But let's just say you wanted to play Devil's advocate. Louisville's collection of players I think is substantially better than Tennessee's. I mean, Tennessee's got guys that have been there for a few years that didn't have much of a role. Well, now they're being expected to play many, you know, major minutes, and you know, I don't think they're going to be able to produce at a level that you would need to be in order to kind of maintain the top twelve status. And they've got portal guys just like Louisville. But Louisville's got more of them. And I think you can look at you know, for example, the guy they brought in from North Florida, I forget his name. He was a guy Kentucky wanted. He ended up choosing Tennessee, had a real big break I think Chas laneyar is his name. He had a big breakout season last year in North Florida, which is one of the lowest level Division one programs out there. And he may come in and drop forty on us because of you know what I'm saying, But you know, I think his numbers are more of a factor in where he played. I mean korin Johnson's more talented. Kaoran Johnson is our backup guard. I know what Terrence Edwards can do. I know Chucky Hepburn what he can do. Like I just think Louisville's a better team. They got better players.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Maybe Tennessee is able to keep Louisville from getting into what they want to do right. Maybe they're able to dictate pace and call some frustration on offense. And you know that wouldn't necessarily be a good recipe for Louisville. But I think they're better. I really do. So we'll have the postgame show on Saturday as soon as it ends, probably I guess roughly around two o'clock, the louisvill basketball post game show. No football postgame show, of course, because you know there's no game. But again, it's just nice to see a you know, a big game on the schedule, meaning a good team, and know that you're likely going to be in an atmosphere that's pretty awesome. Twenty two thousand certainly not. But I think that lower bowl is going to be full. I think the upper level will have you know, some fans up there. How many, I don't know, but look, if these guys come out and play hard. It's going to be a really big time atmosphere that we haven't had in a long time, and that can only potentially, I guess, you know, increase Louisville's chances of winning. So again, I know I sound super confident, and it's not that I'm telling you there's no scenario that they lose, But I guess I'm just excited to be able to look at this matchup and you know, maybe and maybe I'm maybe you're all laughing at me, and I'm, you know, in my own world here, just delusional. But like, I don't think looking at these two teams from a personnel standpoint and thinking Louisville is gonna win is crazy at all. And if it is crazy to you, it's because you're probably just still thinking of Louisville as a team that's been really down for the last however many years, that hasn't been ranked in the top twenty five since two thousand.
Speaker 1: Like that's that's that's where we.
Speaker 2: Are, or where we were, I should say, because it's certainly not that now. So it's exciting to be excited. That's the best way to put it, all, right, Fibo two five seven seventy nine hundred is the number. If you guys want to jump in and join us on the phone lines again. Text line FIBO two six five three zero seven ninety Ellen and Federal Credit Union text line. Let's go to Scott who joins us here on the phone lines? What's happening, Scott, Ahi near?
Speaker 3: Howie you doing doing?
Speaker 1: Okay? How are you?
Speaker 3: I'm doing what? I'll thank you.
Speaker 4: I want to talk about a couple of things. Things I noticed when Pat Kelsey took over was energy effort and intensity.
Speaker 3: And I'm a.
Speaker 4: Sixty year old man who remembers Jenny Crumb. We had energy effort and intensity under him, under Patino, but when.
Speaker 3: The former coach.
Speaker 4: Showed up, it was nothing, no energy, nothing.
Speaker 3: He was just a lot kind of guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Scott, it really you know it, trust me. It wasn't as if I could see it right away and knew that it was going to be as bad.
Speaker 1: As it actually was.
Speaker 2: But the first like real impression that I got from Kenny Payne coaching Louisville was in that exhibition game that he lost, and I thought to myself, man, these guys are a reflection of this guy's energy on the sideline, and that's not a good thing. Pat Kelsey's high energy, he's a wild man, and these guys play just like that, which.
Speaker 1: I think is a pretty good recipe, right, And that's just.
Speaker 3: You know, my person.
Speaker 5: You're right. The first thought I had after the first game was this guy's blaw. You know, maybe not a good coach, a good teacher either that it was just the law. And I just remember Denny Crume. His players played hard for forty minutes, yep.
Speaker 3: And obviously the same thing for Patino, And for life of me, I cannot remember the.
Speaker 1: Guy that oh Chris Mac you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he had high his team's had energy, intensity, effort. It was all there. But then Payne shows up and we lost that yep. And I, like you, I'm excited for this new energy and.
Speaker 5: Hopefully a new era for Cardinal basketball.
Speaker 1: No doubt. Thank you for the call, Scott. I appreciate it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, Pat Kelsey, we all know that he needs to win games here and I think he will, but we'll and we'll learn this one way or the other. But I think you know, if you're struggling now again, you can't be bad, like you can't be terrible consistently. But I have a feeling that, like if the guys pulled with the same level of effort and intensity like we saw on Monday Night all year, nobody's gonna be happy with losses. But I think fans will be able to live with it, you know what I mean. Again, if you've got way more losses than wins, that that that that's a that's a tough.
Speaker 1: Thing to see.
Speaker 2: But again I'm of the belief that that that scenario is not going to play itself out, meaning where they have like a bad record if they play that hard because they've got some talent, and in fact, last year's team in the year before that, even it was a reminder that talent really means nothing if you don't have uh an identity as a team, guys aren't locked in. There's not clearly a you know, I mean, Louisville was a very unseerious type of program with Kenny just because everything about it, from top to bottom, the play on the floor and every other thing outside of the actual game action was just unserious and and and lazy. And you know that's the exact opposite. Now, I mean, Pat Kelsey right now is walking around campus at U of L, just walking up to students telling them to come to the game, asking them if they're coming to the game. I mean, I'm in it as a compliment. He's a madman, but he's the mad man we need basketball sicko as some are referring to him as. And again, that's probably not something that many would take as a compliment. Right if you call somebody a sicico under any circumstance, I would assume they'd be insulted. But I think he knows we mean it in a heart, a very you know, wholesome way, like he's our sicco that we needed to come and save us in this. This probably won't be great for a radio show because you know, there's no visual here, but this is the Instagram post that he just put up on his Instagram. Pat Kelsey just walking around talking to the student body, trying to make sure they're well aware of the big game on Saturday.
Speaker 1: Oh man, are you coming to the game?
Speaker 5: Of course?
Speaker 1: Hey, twelve o'clock.
Speaker 6: On Saturday, Louisville, Tennessee at the YUM.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be rocking you going? Is this like a kind of commitment? Are you going freaking go?
Speaker 6: Hey?
Speaker 1: Twelve o'clock Saturday at the Yum louis Tennessee.
Speaker 6: When you go on the game, you promise tell your friends Louisville, Tennessee.
Speaker 1: You guys going, Sure, that's what I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: Hey, you going the game? I will's there and.
Speaker 6: Fired up with that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, your friend's going, yeah, all of them going. All my roommates, I mean, roommate, You got.
Speaker 7: The game Saturday at the Young twelve o'clock Louisville, Tennessee.
Speaker 1: You a Bengals fan? Can I get a who day?
Speaker 2: So, first of all, my first reaction when seeing this is awesome. But the second reaction is there's nobody else that has ever coached here that would ever do that, and we need that right now. And I mean, who's the most relatable coach to our fans up to this point or not touch to our fans, but to students, because you know, we're we're kind of like I've never really Louisville is Louisville basketb is the pro basketball.
Speaker 1: Team in this town.
Speaker 2: And I know there's a ton of big Kentucky fans in Kentucky's their pro team, but I just mean, like, you know, in this city, obviously UK doesn't play here. So like when I my first memories of going to games at Freedom Hall, like I don't remember seeing anybody who I thought was a college student. I saw people who were wearing sweater vests, and you know, I mean there was a there was a type, there was a demo right the the you know, when I was a young kid, somebody old enough to be maybe not my grandpa, but like between the age of my dad and my grandpa, they looked like they did well for themselves and man they had most likely the wife with them would likely be wearing a red sweater and they would stand up and scream and just go all out during Louisville games, Like, you know, the people who make this one of the most profitable basketball programs in the country aren't students. It's it's you know, because again we're not just catering to students around here. It's it's Louisville's team and both football and basketball. Again, there's no NFL, there's no NBA, So you guys get what I'm saying. But I never once really thought about, like if you had a coach who really did make it a priority to engage with the student body. And I don't mean just like, hey, talk to the student section, because Chris Mack really tried to do that, and I think he did a good job of getting the student section going whenever he was here early on. And then you know, obviously things happen and they weren't even allowed to come to games and is you know, in one of his last years here. So but but Chris's personality wise is nothing like Pat Kelsey nothing.
Speaker 1: And look, you can be good in both ways.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying that like Chris is a bad guy, but like the personality is totally different. And he told me that before you know, he became official, that Pat was going to be the guy like you know, he's energy, and I mean at every turn people have mentioned that. So I think the fans aren't just going to be like, oh, it's cool that the coach is like, you know, he said the students are great and we should come, like it wasn't just a canned statement, It wasn't some pre recorded video. Like I think Pat will be able to connect with them differently than anybody has and that can I mean, first of all, it can only help, but I think it can go a long way, like We've always lacked, you know, a real big student presence. For the most part, we haven't really needed it. But as you're trying to get things built back up to where you have big crowds on hand every every game, certainly bigger crowds for the bigger games, but if you want, you know, like, students are the ones. If they're into it, man, and they're engaged, they'll show up on a Monday against Morehead.
Speaker 1: Stay what else they got to do?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 1: They're they're here away at school. So I don't know.
Speaker 7: I got another interesting observation, and maybe this will make me sound stupid, but one thing I've noticed with Pat Kelsey is he the only person who constantly refers to the young center as the young, because I feel like I've never heard people say that.
Speaker 2: Well, people have certainly said it, like I don't. I don't refer to it as the young, but I've heard other people do it. But yes, to your point, he is clearly trying to like make that yeah, yeah, yeah, the young, And you know, I'm trying to think, like I know it's been said, but when I say the young, I think, I you know, you listen to me. Unfortunately, you have to every day because you know, you're my producer. But when I say the um siner, I don't say the yum do I No, I've never I think I just say I think I just say the YOUM center.
Speaker 1: I feel like that's where most people usually look.
Speaker 2: He's trying to, you know, look, if it leads to there being more of an incentive and more of a field to like, hey, we're going it's gonna be awesome the atmosphere of the place them, then I'll embrace it. I'll get it tattooed on my face. I mean probably not, but like, let's if it works, let's let's keep it rolling. So I'm i'm, i'm, I'm I'm fired up for Saturday, man, And I'm I'm not just saying it because I feel like, you know, you guys would want me to say it. In fact, I don't think you would care what I say as far as what I think is gonna happen, because again, I'm often wrong, We're all often, we're all wrong pretty often. But I think they're gonna win and it's gonna be awesome. Figures crossed that that's what actually happens. But regardless, we'll react to it on the post game show, So make sure you know if you're there and you get in your car when you leave, turn us on. If you're not there and you're watching at home, papasan as soon as it ends, and we'll react to it. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. A few things I want to make sure we get to before we run out of time. John Caliperry. He had his debut last night at Arkansas and they won by like fourteen fifteen. But I kind of thought cal would be re energized and really just you know, a new man kind of reincarnated down there in Fayetteville, and I feel like I was way off because maybe it's just one game. But he sounds like a lunatic in his postgame press conference, like a guy that's just like not really there. We'll let you hear it and we'll get back to the phone calls and the text lines. So stick around right here on Sports Talk seven ninety once again, another day where the company man has really outdone himself when it comes to his music selection. Well done, John, I mean I take that for granted because I'm sure that's I mean, we need everybody listening. However, they're listening whenever. I mean, we appreciate you regardless of how you consume coffee and company. But obviously live listeners are the best. I mean, that's what we mean. That's how we're evaluated. And because you only get the DJ Company Man mix, if you're listening live, like that's got to be boosting the live listens. So that's why they pay you the big bucks.
Speaker 1: Brother. It is well done, Little Brooks and done good stuff. April twenty six of the Youum Center, by the way at them.
Speaker 2: I bet Pat Kelsey will be there. He might be, I'm not sure what his music. I did ask him that. I asked him that question when he was on the show the first time, and it was now that i'm reflecting, it was kind of a corny question, but I think it was with us having so many music festivals, because I think one of the things you think of when you think of Louisville, if you're not from here, obviously think of the Derby.
Speaker 1: You think of, you.
Speaker 2: Know, basketball, Louisville Slugger, that kind of stuff probably KFC. But if you are into music festivals, I would imagine by now you know that we do we do pretty well when it comes to that kind of stuff. So I asked him, if you were putting together your own stage, the Pat Kelsey stage one of these music festivals, you could get anybody, anybody you want, which for musicians or artists would you would you choose?
Speaker 1: And he chose. I think he said Springsteen.
Speaker 2: I think he said, I know he said Zach Bryan, but I'm blanket on who else it was.
Speaker 7: You think he was there at Bourbon and beyond, you know, in the VIP section.
Speaker 2: He was probably watching film or recruiting or something of that. Although I did hear that he uh, he was supposed to go to Well, he was potentially going to go to Clemson with Josh Hurt. Apparently they ended up having room in in the charter and he decided to stick back because you know, they had their opener just a couple of days away. But he later made he called an audible and he actually went up to I believe it was Indy took his daughter to see Taylor Swift on look at that on Saturday. So I'm not sure if that if Taylor Swift would be in his his uh his on his stage in his music festival. But you know, a good dad daughter moment. I'm sure I had some friends that took their kids to of their daughters to the Taylor Swift concert and Indie and apparently, I mean again, I'm sure it's not easy to get tickets, but I'm surprised when people I know go, like Pat Kelsey, not as surprised he'd be somebody that could get access.
Speaker 1: But I don't know.
Speaker 2: I just feel like she's such a big artist right now that like any ticket going on sale, you're looking at paying like seven hundred and fifty bucks or something, which sounds crazy.
Speaker 1: It is crazy, but like that's that's.
Speaker 2: What the tickets go for for her concerts a lot of times something like that.
Speaker 1: And this tour that she's been on is almost over. It's been going on for us. As I say, it seems never ending. Yes, it's crazy.
Speaker 2: So anyways, John Calla Perry last night debuted at Arkansas in front of nineteen thousand fans. They won and were never really in trouble, But I don't I didn't get the sense that it looked like they played all that well. Seventy six to seven or seventy six to sixty was the score. They won the first half by nine, second half, I guess by Actually they're one of the first half by eleven, second half by by six, so I don't know if they covered, but either way it's not. It doesn't look like it was a game where they were really you know, it was in doubt. But Cal Perry afterwards he had his press conference and look, Cal for a long time has been a coach that just and it's one of the things that I think drove Kentucky fans so crazy after a while. He can do it, he can you know, Cal can be cal and say the things that he has said during his time in Lexington, and fans will just eat it up if he's winning at a high level. But when you're not winning at a high level, they become stale pretty quickly. And it became to it started to really fascinate me towards the end. Like he would I mean, he would just talk about not being able to like I haven't haven't seen my player. I don't know, I haven't talked to him, Like when he was asked about an update on a player, like he he's just kind of, you know, kind of lost his mind a little bit.
Speaker 1: Uh. But I've looked at that more as.
Speaker 2: Him being stubborn, and really, I mean, at times he used the line of doing a radio interview whenever everybody wanted to hear from after a bad loss, or showing up to press conferences and just saying whatever he wanted, an act acting like he didn't really care about the loss.
Speaker 1: He did.
Speaker 2: That I think is arrogance, Like I thought, I think at times he wanted people to know like, yeah, whatever, like I'm the coach and I don't care that you want me to play this guy or you want me to play more modern basketball like. It was clearly a stubborn, arrogant kind of thing for him on the way out there, and I thought there was a chance and he might look Maybe this is just a bad observation on my end, but I thought the scenario where he would go to Arkansas and be really successful is he'd have to get re energized. He'd have to be motivated to win at a high level. And again, I guess what his motivation is, what gives him that motivation, It doesn't really matter. But I would have thought that the best chance would be that he just wants to show first of all, he wants to go on another deep tournament run without losing the teams like Oakland and Saint Peter's, but also Spike, he wants to win in spite of Kentucky. He maybe it isn't crazy to think that the driving force for him now is that he wants to win, not only because he's a competitor and he wants to win, but he wants to show Kentucky fans that they should have appreciated him and you know, begged him to stay instead of you know, letting him walk and being happy that he did. But the guy that I'm hearing at SEC basketball media days, the interviews that he's done, and this press conference last night, like I just think he's kind of I think he's just goofing off. I mean, I hate to say that, but like this is a montage somebody put together, and this is you know, context is not going to be there, because this is just a mix of just random things he blurted out at his press conference last night that I'm sure Kentucky fans wouldn't be surprised by because you know, they've heard it for a long time. But Arkansas fans heard their first Calipari postgame press conference last night, and you know they thought it was funny enough to create all these mixes of his different random things. He said, because you know it's not.
Speaker 1: What you get Cal.
Speaker 2: And when Rick was here and even Rick still like those guys can get away with things. And I don't mean like criminal acts, but just like they can say things that we all know is nonsense, not true. They can just blatantly lie and everybody knows it. But it's just all that's Cal being Cal, that's that's Rick being Rick. But here's one minute of John Calli Perry's best moments from his press conference. According to Corey Stewart, who covers Arkansas basketball, how about.
Speaker 6: This thought make a three? It takes me on every time we make a mistake. No, I don't. CBS is covering the gamey threes. But because a guy wants, I'm gonna start this, uh give it to Jimmy, he has to come back.
Speaker 1: No he doesn't.
Speaker 6: I have not watched that game too late. I was in bed.
Speaker 1: What why would you do that? And as you get older it really.
Speaker 6: So they called a time out so you have no questions now that.
Speaker 1: I'm just waiting for he stopped talking. What gold block that Ball.
Speaker 6: How about that statement, I mean.
Speaker 2: The visual I mean again, and just for those that just turned on the show and you heard just random things Cali Perre's yelling again, those are just that's just there's no context to what he's saying. Those are just all individual things that he just said. That again, sound pretty normal because I'm used to hearing Cali Perry around here. But for Arkansas, especially those in the media, that might have been an experience they weren't really expecting. So maybe it's it's just him being him. But him being him hadn't worked. Man, he still plays the same way like he had. You know, he still wanted to play old school bigs. He doesn't want to space it out.
Speaker 1: He does.
Speaker 2: I mean the fact that he didn't play Dillingham, Shepard and Reeves last year together. I mean that stupidity, stubbornness, and I mean malpractice. If you're a Kentucky fan, I'm sure is what you're thinking. But I mean, I think he's going to do the same things he's always done and expect it to be different, and it won't be. He won't be terrible at Arkansas, but I just get a feeling that he'll be fine. There, but he won't be as energized because as much as it pains me to say it, you know it's the truth.
Speaker 1: So it is what it is.
Speaker 2: Like Kentucky's the best job in college basketball, and he had that, didn't really appreciate it, didn't really realize, Hey, I should make adjustments. I should adapt to the game changing. I should evolve because I have the best job in the country, a job that nobody else would would would pay me this much money to do. And instead of like, you know, buckling down, getting creative again, maybe reinventing yourself a little bit like Nick Saban did in football, Like he didn't do that. And I don't know if he'll ever regret it, because he doesn't seem like somebody who would ever regret or think he was wrong. He's very stubborn. But I'd say there's a better chance that he ends up kind of just being above average there, and that's the ceiling, the scenario where they're like really bad. I doubt it because that would be uncharacteristic of him as a coach. And he's still going to bring in talent, Like he's still going to have good players, but I think they'll continue to have head scratching losses at times because they're mostly built on youth. And I also think that you know, they'll be easy to pick off in the tournament, depending on the matchup.
Speaker 7: I hope there's more of this, by the way, more of his weird sound bites throughout the season.
Speaker 2: Who do you think has a better chance of making a Final four in the next five years? John Caliperry misses at Arkansas or Rick Patino at Saint John's.
Speaker 7: Oh, that's a really I'm gonna say cali Perry just because he probably has a lot better resources. And yeah, I don't think, I mean not that Rick Patino can't, but it wouldn't surprise.
Speaker 1: It'd be less surprising to say that.
Speaker 2: I would agree, But I would say, you know, if I had to guess, do either of them or one of them, like, I would say, it's more unlikely that either of them make a final for than they do make a final for in their time there, however long that is.
Speaker 7: Here's another question, who you think retires first.
Speaker 2: Cal Rick is older, and Rick does seem to enjoy other things in life that he didn't used to seem to enjoy, Like you know, he's still very much, you know, a coach, and I don't think he ever wants to just stop doing it, but there may be a point where Rick, like I could see Rick now It's well maybe not now, but like I could now see a side of Rick that makes me believe he would leave coaching to do broadcasting because he would still be involved in basketball, if that makes sense. And you know, he's very much a me guy. So him just kind of fading into retirement. I don't ever see happening, but part of me says he'll he'll either coach until he's simply physics can anymore, or he won't. He won't be having fun because he's not winning, and then he just decides to become an announcer broadcaster and anybody would hire him, and I think he'd be good at it, to be honest with you, I mean, clearly, the man's got away with words. We've all learned that over the years aroundhim.
Speaker 7: I want to Patino, Tom Crean, Playboy play and you know whatever the color commentary. That probably be really insane, but uh, it'd be fun to listen to for at least a few minutes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think rarely the coaches go into the go straight to broadcasting and and you know, seemed Tom Crean is great at it. I don't know why he's not like on the A list for ESPN. Maybe he's still keeping his options open and wants to make it clear that he will come back and coach if he was presented a good job.
Speaker 1: But Krean's great at it.
Speaker 2: Rick would be good as far as the analysis, But Rick's somebody like like if put it this way, Saban is great when it comes to analysis and talking football on game day. I think he would need to ramp up the energy level to be on a broadcast. And I think you could say the same thing about Rick. So that makes sense, like you don't need to be animated, but like you know, you're you're not just just saying what you're seeing.
Speaker 1: And and like Bob Knight on, you're like you are, you're you.
Speaker 2: Are, You're delivering like there's Again, that's one of those things that a lot of people don't realize. It's not difficult to talk like that. I mean, it's not like, you know, the the people who think they could just come in and host a three hour show and it would be cake. Some of them may be right, but it's really about like delivery, how you say things. I mean, stretching segments out and whatnot. So again delivery. And look, they could be coached up on it. I mean maybe they could.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know how coachable coaches are. But like Sabin, eventually I want to hear him on on a game, like in a game, because I think he point out things that none of us would know. But one he probably doesn't want to do that, but again, you got, you gotta you got. For example, Lou Riddick, he went from being just an analyst and he's always been great at it, and then he went to being a color guy. And initially he was providing good analysis, but the broadcast sounded flat because he wasn't used to that. That wasn't Typically he would join a show for a segment, not do a game, but this in the last couple of games, specifically, like I think le Ritick's killing it as an announcer. So it takes a little time, but yeah, it could be good at it.
Speaker 1: Jay Williams games here, he too long. He did a game the other night, did he now?
Speaker 2: Jay Williams was on the Gonzaga and they put him on that Baylor game. Wow, yeah, huge game. Well it's football season, so you know it's a big game for those who love college hoops. But you know, ESPN's not necessarily prioritizing the product just yet. But yeah, he's he's he's not the best. Did you see the score of that game.
Speaker 1: I know Baylor got spanked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think Baylor is still going to be really good this year, but man, to see the way they lost one oh one to sixty three unbelievable. And I look Baylor, I said before the season started, I actually think that they're underrated despite being ranked number eight before they got killed. And maybe I end up being way wrong. But when it comes to talent, I mean, Mark Few, he's got some real good players that team. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. We haven't let you hear it yet. But there is a scenario that I can't think of his name, Chris, maybe Chris. I'll get his name Corret because I want to give him proper credit. He put out something a scenario that is not likely, but it also isn't that crazy to where a Big twelve team could miss the playoff. We'll let him explain it, because again, he did a pretty good job at it. That's on the other side. As we wrap this thing up, don't go anywhere. It's coffee and company. Feiel about Thorton's on Sports Talk seven ninety all right, Dennis Texan and says Nick, what would it say about Kenny Payne if in the second week of the season in his first year, Pat Kelsey has Louisville ranked in the top twenty five with a top twelve win. I mean, I would assume if a top twelve team loses that whoever beat them, if they were, you know, sniffing the rankings, they would probably climb into the top twenty five. I mean, it's so silly, and you know, it's tough to know how good anybody is this early in the year, especially in this new world of the portal. But hell, if they ended up being ranked after beating Tennessee, I mean I'd be talking about it. I would be happy about it. I mean, it would be a good early sign, no doubt. But yes, it would say a lot about Kenny. But it would also say more I think about the ability you have to quickly turn something around in the new world with the portal and nil, and yeah, I think, I mean, they got some votes preseason, but not a lot. So a win against the number twelve team I think would probably will probably jump the jump them up there. But we'll find out if they win, and again I think they will all right, real quick, this is a clip from one of the college football podcasts that I listened to, and I get a couple of them mixed up. But this is Chris Asel who or Hassle, I'm sorry. He works for CBS Sports, and he laid out a scenario that, again, it is unlikely, but I don't think it's like troll clickbait either, because it's not an insane scenario. I mean, maybe some people view it as insane, but he threw out a situation that could lead to the Big Twelve getting left out of the College Football Playoff altogether. Again a long shot, but here's what would need to happen for that scenario to play out.
Speaker 8: Here's another possibility that I don't think anyone's thought about, and this is a very very unlikely scenario, but there is a scenario where the Big Twelve champion doesn't even make the College Football Playoff. Here it is Army is eight to zero, They have Notre Dame on their schedule, they have Navy on their schedule, and then an American Conference championship game. If they win every game and they're perfect with a win over Notre Dame on their resume, Army might be a higher ranked American Conference champion than Iowa State and Boise could be a higher ranked Mountain West champion than Iowa State. Only the five highest ranked conference champs are guaranteed a playoff spot, So if you're an Iowa State fan, you should root against Army.
Speaker 3: Army.
Speaker 8: Look, if Army goes thirteen to zero with a win over Notre Dame, they are going to be in the playoff.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So BYU is the Big twelve team that right now clearly is in the driver's seat of that league. So that wasn't mentioned in that specific clip, but it does later come up because obviously they would need to lose. But I think BYU, I mean again, they're in a pretty good spot right now, but I think the committee basically said with where they're ranked, if they lose there, they're dropping pretty far because they don't have any opportunities left to get big wins, and any loss that they could get wouldn't be looked at as like a quality loss. So again it's unlikely, but I kind of want the chaos. And I mean, how if it comes down to a scenario where you're really having to choose between two teams, maybe three, and one of them is an undefeated army, you know, the United States military, Like they're not leaving them out, not at all. And you know what, the guy who was just voted president, he has any say so at that time, I don't think you would given the timeline, but like, you know, Trump would make a deal about that, would he not?
Speaker 1: Either way? That would be a badass playoff participant in hell, yeah, that would be. It'd be awesome.
Speaker 2: Nobod else is awesome sex and Blue Cheo can make something that's already awesome even better. Blue Cheo is a unique online service that delivers the same active ingredients as products like viagran Cialis, but they give it to you in a chewable tablet and it's a fraction of the cost. They're made right here in the USA, ship directly to your door. They not only are locally made here in the United States, but I mean this is a local I mean not local to us. But I mean it's American owned company and they've been helping fellas and ladies for quite some time. And what I mean by that is, look, if the fellas are taking the Blue Cheo and it's working, it's enhancing the overall experience. I'd say that's a mutually beneficial thing for everybody. I mean, they now realize that when it comes to marketing this product, that women know about it because they know that their man's been taking it and they enjoy it. They see the benefit of it as well. So again, Blue chewe keep them in mind. In fact, scratch that, don't just keep in mind, take advantage of what they're giving you. They're gonna give you a month free of their product. That's how much they believe in it. They know you're gonna benefit from it. They know you're gonna like it and you're gonna come back, so they're gonna give you a month of it free. All you have to do is pay five bucks in shipping. And here's how you do it. You go to blue Cheo dot com. You sign up using the promo code Nick seven ninety Again blue Choo got Blue Choo dot Com promo code Nick seven ninety at checkout, pay five bucks in shipping, and you're good to go.
Speaker 1: Just chew it and do it, blue chew.
Speaker 5: All Right.
Speaker 2: We're out of time, and when we come back tomorrow, it'll be a Friday, and that's a good thing, a feel good Friday as we get set for a big weekend. Have a good night, everybody. You got anything you're betting on the night?
Speaker 1: John, Not tonight. No, we'll do our picks tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Will We need to We need to have We need one weekend where we both do well, and no better time to start than now. All Right, have a good night, everybody. We'll talk you tomorrow.
Speaker 7: Stand