Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: From joining me in studios, Jojo, right, you know it's Kiss FM three to seven pm week days.
Speaker 3: Jojo was good to talk to you again, man, how you been You're good doing good with people? Don't know.
Speaker 2: We were just talking off air about different people that we've worked with. Time in the business music industry. What do you make of your time in this business?
Speaker 3: It's a loaded question.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think I started at Kiss FM in ninety seven and I'm coming up mid ninety seven. I've been on Kiss almost well, it's coming up on thirty years.
Speaker 3: If you can believe that, I'm a hundred.
Speaker 2: I know that's almost unheard of because I always say, you haven't worked in this business until you've lost your job.
Speaker 3: In this business, I've had. I've been fired before.
Speaker 4: Okay, I've been I got fired in San Francisco up in the Bay Area, and then I was on vacation in La.
Speaker 3: You got firewall off vacation. I worked in the Bay I came to l A. Yeah, no, it's yeah, you have to.
Speaker 4: I came down to La just to chill and they you know, when somebody fills in for you, they do like they do your bits, like you're filling in for Mo and it's Moe's Top nine whatever. When these these guys went on for me, they changed all the bits, so I thought, something's up. That's respectful it is, and they fired me. You know, I got just I got fired. I was on vacation in La. Now, eventually they got booted and I went back.
Speaker 3: Up to there. That's Friday.
Speaker 4: It's just I mean, I'm telling the story terribly right now, but it's just that's.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I got fired while on vacation on my day off. How'd you in La? That's when I worked in the once again in the bay. Uh huh.
Speaker 2: The reason I have you on obviously, Wango Tango is coming up real soon, but tickets actually go on sale tomorrow at ten am on AXS dot Com. Now, let's go through some of these names are going to be on the bill. We're gonna give away a pair of tickets at the end of the segment when I say, Doja cat, what do I think doj Because you've probably interviewed me, I've.
Speaker 4: Interviewed I've interviewed I think I think everybody on this list I talked to. Yeah, I've interviewed Dojakat just once or twice at the iHeart Radio Music Festival, and I don't know know her. I want to get to know her better because she's such a huge artist and she was so she's super nice, but UH only talked to her just a couple of times, the last time being like I said in Vegas at the Iheard Festival, Gwen Stefani, I've known her for ever, just like you had.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't say I knew her know her, but I worked with her when she was at the beginning of her career, when I was working at Interscope Records.
Speaker 3: I have nothing bad to say.
Speaker 4: He is awesome and she's she's as sweet as you remember she's she's the best. Megan Trainer, she's she's performing at Wango Tangle. Meghan Trainer used to come to our daughter's dance studio. She had a niece at the same studio. So I've seen Megan for years. David Gett interviewed him, you know for years as well.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: They're all doing extended sets, so it's not the typical like festival sets or you know, radio sets, which is a couple of songs. They're doing extended sets those four artists and Gwen is performing at sunset.
Speaker 3: So and we're on the beach. I don't know if you mentioned that. Oh, yes, we're on the beach.
Speaker 4: So imagine Gwen Stefani in Orange County, Huntington City beach on the beach at sunset. That's just kind of a it's kind of perfect in my opinion.
Speaker 2: That's got to be a beautiful site, saying nothing of the music, a beautiful experience.
Speaker 4: I'll say, yeahred percent so, and we've never done this well on the beach.
Speaker 3: We're pumped about that.
Speaker 4: A group called Katsi, they'd fall into the global pop category, not K pop, but a lot of K pop fandoms love Katsie. But there they'd be. They'd be referred to as a global pop group and K pop. I'm into the K pop scene. I do a K pop show on the weekends around around the country. And Uh, there's a group called cycres x I K e r S called Cychers. Fans are going crazy. The K pop community loves Cychers. Is a group called in Mix. Cyckers is a guy group. In Mix, it's a girl group. Uh, they're going to be their Hearts to Hearts. That's a young K pop group, girl group. They they just basically launched and this is their first I believe it's their first.
Speaker 3: Performance in the in the US. And a group called A two Oh May.
Speaker 4: They're from China and they will be doing their debut performance in the States as well, I believe.
Speaker 2: So let me ask you this because I think you have enough history and perspective to be able to answer this. Why do you think K pop specifically has caught on with such fire here in the United States?
Speaker 4: I think it the why I don't know, but it's similar to the boy band Boom Backstreet and Sink early, you know, early two thousands.
Speaker 3: It's just like that.
Speaker 4: The only difference is there's I mean, BTS is king of the food chain when it comes to the K pop scene, and they'll be back as a group later this year or early next year, because there's still some of the members are still in the military, but they're they're king of the food chain. But there are so many groups in the K pop space and global pop space that are just huge, whereas in back in the day, I don't think there are as many moving the needle as much.
Speaker 3: But why, you know, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think it's it's it's the same thing as you know, great choreo, great harmonies, right, you know, you.
Speaker 3: Fall in love.
Speaker 4: I love the musicality of it, the production of the of the K pop space, and I say k pop, I should say global pop space. It's it's pretty phenomenal. So once you get into it, it's it's I've fallen in love with it, and and the people as well.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna hold you all night.
Speaker 2: Now, if you just had a whole show from three to seven pm, then he come downstairs and sit and talk to us. Look, we both love our job jobs, but it still can be pretty demanding.
Speaker 3: I would imagine. Yeah, it's it's today. Well, today's my day. Today.
Speaker 4: I got here pretty early. I interviewed a guy named Domiano David. This is nothing to do with K pop or Wango Tango, but the Domiano is the lead singer of the group Monaskin. They're from Italy and but he's doing his solo things. So Domiano came in early this morning, like, well take the back about one o'clock, one o'clock to them, then about five o'clock in the middle of my radio show. I'm kind of doing two things once. You know, a group from came in called j O one and there were there's eleven members in the group. Plus when you think hair and makeup, there's a baseball team.
Speaker 3: It's a baseball team.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and did like twenty five members total as far as hair and makeup. And then they had the camera crew from Japan. I think it was the way they I forget the name of the network. They said it was the equivalent of like a CNN in Japan, like a huge you know network came in to film there. They everything they do, they're filming them as they walk around the States. And so that's what I saw. There were a lot of people people to do. So that's that's that's my day today and tomorrow morning, jumping on KTLA to talk about Wango Tangle.
Speaker 3: So they got me, they got me working mo.
Speaker 2: Earn your money. Well, this is what I need from you. I need you to choose a number between one and ten because we're getting ready to give away a pair of tickets right now to Wangle Tangle. We told you about the artist Doja Cat of Megan trainer David Ghetta Katsi in mixed psichers a two olve May Hearts, two Hearts and of course Gwensdefani on the Beach Huntingdon City Beach as the sun goes down.
Speaker 3: This man one through It's funny.
Speaker 4: I was talking to Tim the other day yesterday and I was debating on what number to do, and we normally do one O two because Kiss FM one of two point seven. I thought, man, you can't do six hundred and forty calls. That's a lot of people.
Speaker 2: Caller twelve, caller number thirteen, collar number four hundred and fifty seven.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. So one through ten, I think that's a nice range. Let's go. Let's go number seven.
Speaker 2: If you're calling number seven, you and a guest will be going to iHeartRadio's Wingo Tango hundingson City Beach. Great lineup, superstar lineup, Jojo Wright.
Speaker 3: Thank you, my brother. I really appreciate your ten. By the way.
Speaker 4: Tickets on sale general public on sale tomorrow morning, ten am.
Speaker 3: Access. Like you said, Aces dot com Mo.
Speaker 4: You're awesome, dude. I love what you do. Congrats on everything I know. I have heard your anniversary all that stuff.
Speaker 2: You know, so you know, one of these days we need to tell some of our stories that we were talking about off their on air, the ones that we're allowed to tell, because there's some stuff that we can't.
Speaker 3: Tell if we want to continue to work in this business.
Speaker 4: What's what's the when people tell you like this, say, hey, MO, give me a wild story me like your elevator, pitch your ten second. What's the I'll give you my wildest one, but give me yours.
Speaker 2: It's really inappropriate, and I think you would think different of me. I've told it on air. It's one time we went to Miami and we were promoting I was working for Interscope Records. We were promoting the first Eminem album and I got the platinum placket home to prove it. And what we did is my job was I had to go out and find some entertainment for DJs that we were playing the Eminem album for. This was at the Impact Music Convention. Oh, Miami, you know where this story is going. Oh, I know it involves dollar bills or something. Oh, you're very close. So I hired local entertainment to come in and there was a contest.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm just gonna tell the story.
Speaker 2: There was a contest that we had all these DJs kind of in a circle and we had a talented individual matchup with each DJ and it was one thousand dollars prize for the first DJ who could let's say, reach the apex of the mountain.
Speaker 3: Shut up. True story, Oh I think god.
Speaker 2: My producer Touala was not in the room, but he was at the convention.
Speaker 3: True story. I heard he was in the room. I'm not going to tell that he was in the room. That's what, you know, that's what.
Speaker 2: But yes, there was a winner and that winner received one thousand dollars because he was the first to reach the finish line.
Speaker 3: Oh your turn, your turn? Mine is mine?
Speaker 4: Is not so risk A two thousand and three Neverland Ranch was in a cake fight with Michael Jackson.
Speaker 3: Oh you win? I mean I did well.
Speaker 4: I didn't throw cake. He threw cake on I was hosting. It was a fundraiser. They had two fundraisers, daytime and nighttime. I got to host the nighttime fundraiser, and basically I didn't think Michael was going to be there. I thought he just you know, wave it in the distance or just you know whatever. Sure enough, he shows up and uh cake fight. They brought a cake out and I saw him hand a piece of cake to a little girl or whoever it was, and I had the mic. I'm like, oh man, we're gonna be gonna have a cake fight. I can just feel it. Sure enough, him and Nick and Aaron Carter start going back and forth, cake starts flying. He turns to me and he pauses because he clearly doesn't know me, you know, And I said something to the effect and then I'm sure there's a video that would you know, just be the most embarrassing thing ever.
Speaker 3: But I said, hit me, Michael. He goes like, are you sure?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he's not, like yeah, he smash's cake onme in that was kind of it, and I you know, I I was basically in a cake fight.
Speaker 2: That's my only person I never had the opportunity to meet in this business. I've met everyone that I wanted to meet, could meet, from Janet, Tina Turner on down, every single one.
Speaker 3: But I never got a chance to meet Michael. Now. I was in like the fourth row at the Victory.
Speaker 2: Concert, the Victories and Doctor Stadium saw I was like fourteen at the time.
Speaker 4: Wow, So but that I never got a chance to meet him. You should meet I know his son, Prince, and one of these days you should. He has a charity called Heal La. You should have him on one of these days and meet meet Prince. I'll set it up if I'll call him one hundred percent. Let's set it up. Done, Chase, are right, great to see Mo.
Speaker 3: You're awesome. Thank you man. Kf I AM six forty alive everywhere in the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty