Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, welcome to Pink Shade. It is Thursday, so we're going to talk about pop culture and Bravo. And I've got an expert today. His name is Jason Zephyr. I'm I saying that right. You're saying that right, Okay, Jason Zephyr, and he is a pop culture expert and a Bravo expert.
Speaker 2: I would say, yes, definitely. I love Bravo. Real Housewives of New York City is not only one of my favorite Bravo shows, are my favorite housewife entry into the franchise, but it's one of my favorite all time shows. It's a comfort watch if I'm ever homesick, I am putting on like season six of Real Housewives of New York.
Speaker 1: Do you live in New York?
Speaker 2: I do live in New York. I've been here for like twenty years.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, okay. Now you are also a writer.
Speaker 2: I am a writer.
Speaker 1: Yes, You've written a really good book called Zombies of the Upper east Side. Okay, tell me about this book because it's like a campy It's like a take on these like Upper east Side like fancy ladies, but then there's like a zombie apocalypse.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So it's it's a horror comedy. It's definitely campy in all the best ways. I really lean into that. Yeah, it's a it's about an Upper east Side lady. Her name is Charmaine Starling. She's kind of a typical kind of society lady. She married into a lot of money, but she's going through divorce. Her husband cheated on her. He's like he has separated. He's holed up in a suite of rooms at the Carl Hotel with his mistress. With his mistress, and so they're going through a divorce. You know, she didn't have any money in the beginning, so it was all him and his family land. So now they're trying to make sure that she doesn't leave the marriage with anything. So she also has like that stink on her of she's gonna be broke. So yes, So all the Upper east Side lady, she's a little bit of a priya. Now, Now, if that wasn't bad enough, if she wasn't already just stressed out about not, you know, leaving her marriage with nothing and maybe going back to Yonkers, which is where she was originally from, God forbid, If that wasn't bad enough, the Upper East side is painted as a place where all kinds of weird stuff can happen, because it is a little bit of a weird place. I think it has the highest propensity or or population of billionaires per capitist square mile than anywhere else in the world, so it's a very Yeah, so it's a very There's also like Park Avenue is like Billionaires Row, so it's like the highest number of billionaires to exist anywhere in the world and like such a small place. Yeah. So if all that wasn't bad enough, there's some weird things going on in the background. In the first half of the book, people are getting sick, there's like a another sort of illness going on, bodies are missing from the morgue, and then like in the middle of it, she wakes up and it's a full on zombie apocalypse. So it's kind of funny watching these kinds of ladies kind of like fight against you know, the zombies, and they're a little bit scrappier than you would think.
Speaker 1: Well, isn't that always the case with our housewives?
Speaker 2: Right? Yes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And there's a character in the book whose name is oddly enough, Margot Pain, not to be confused with Mary Pain. But as I read the book, I was like, no, wait a minute, I don't want my name to be so closely associated with this guta rat lady. Ah.
Speaker 2: Well, the interesting thing about that character in particular, like she is her. So her name is Margot Pain. She was married to a doctor, she divorced. She's sort of of like a warning to what could happen to Charmaine. Now what's interesting about that character they called they call her the Upper Upper east Side spit Her, And that's based on a real person. There was a real person on the Upper east Side who was with her shopping carts. She was unhoused individual, and they ended up finding and she would like spit on children or you know, sort of like young upstarts. She was not a happy lady. Wow. And then they ended up finding out that she, you know, she was divorced and she had had a lot of money at one point. So I sort of, you know, it's a minor character in the story. But I when I was writing the book, I read and I watched everything to do with the Upper east Side. So I tried to absorb as much as I could. And I had heard that story and I just wanted to incorporate it in some way into the book.
Speaker 1: Okay. Well, it unfortunately is very close to my name, but that's okay. You didn't know me at the time.
Speaker 2: So and I love I love the name Pain too, you know, because it can mean so many things, and it can be taken literally not literally, like I I really like it.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a family name and in my family obviously that's why I've got it. But you know, there's there's Payne Stewart, There's uh it was a famous golfer. There's Payne Lindsay who's a famous podcaster. And I have a nephew that said his next child he wants to send the child Pain as a boy. And I was like, I'm here to tell you it's going.
Speaker 2: To be rough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, rough, it'll be rough to have that name, but go go for it, go for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay. Now you have got a very popular Instagram. I'm always obsessed with people who get like a huge following on Instagram because I'm out here, like hour myself out for every follower.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I'm proud. I feel like I'm in that in that sort of box. Now because a lot of things have changed over the last few months, when they had that big purge, I lost I don't know a crazy amount, but like a thousand followers, and my growth sort of stopped, and it stopped right when I was launching the book. So that wasn't That wasn't great, but it's okay. I still have a lot of followers. I got those because I do things like right now, I'm doing one hundred days of Buffy because I love Buffy Vampire Slayer and I was devastated when Hulu canceled the reboot. Yeah, so I do things like that. I've had like Martha Mondays where I do some sort of post about Martha Stewart because I love her, funny Lady Friday because I love funny women. They're probably the people that have inspired me the most of anybody. Yeah, so things like that, And oh also, I think it's and I just literally saw this yesterday, so it's like fresh in my mind. Every so often, somebody pops up and I'm like, wait, they follow me. So yesterday it was Wendy McClendon Covey follows me. I'm like, what when did that happen? I love her, I love her so much.
Speaker 1: I love her. Yeah, that's cool. Now. Sonia Morgan commented on your book does she follow you?
Speaker 2: She does not follow me. Oddly enough, not many of the New York Housewives follow me. I think only Jules Wainstein, who was on one season, but yeah, I really liked her. She follows me, but none of the other og rony women, which is a little disappointing because I love them so much. I'm so excited for the Golden Life coming out. I love them so much that they may have worked their way into my book.
Speaker 1: You have to read it to find out.
Speaker 2: I guess yes, you will have to read it to find out. But I find it very interesting that Sonia Morgan, who doesn't follow me, commented on my book post when I announced the book, saying congratulations. She also liked bunch of other posts. But I find it very interesting because there may be a character in my book whose name is Sylvia, and she might live on the Upper east Side, and she might live in a crumbling townhouse. She might also be allegedly broke. She may have a daughter, and she may be divorced from a very old man who left her for her friends.
Speaker 1: Does she have a storage unit full of old birkins?
Speaker 2: She sold them already. Okay, she doesn't have a bag to her name? Does she her basement? You don't want to go in the.
Speaker 1: Basement, No Crisco, no basics. Oh so funny. Okay, Now, Sony Morgan, Now let's talk about the I keep calling it the Golden Years. Is it called the Golden Life?
Speaker 2: The Golden the Golden Life? Right?
Speaker 1: Okay? The New Roney spin off on each Yeah, yeah, okay, the Golden Life, like the well yes, but first of all, like when is it coming? Because now they're adding like Margaret and some other people which I love in kandas push and all like great, but yeah, I assume they're coming in as like a friend of like, uh, they're just like letting us know that they're coming in as like side characters to visit. But what are we getting this show?
Speaker 2: Okay? So, from what I've read and from what I understand, filming went really well. So he wanted to add some more episodes, and it was summer in the Hampton's and Ramona and Luann are already there, so then they had the opportunity to add Margaret Joseph's I guess she had originally been in talks about being on the show, but she was on some other show on Amazon that's coming out. Yeah, so I guess she couldn't have been in it. Then I think she actually makes sense. I wasn't like a huge fan of her in New Jersey, but she has, you know, established relationships with Ramona and with leu Anne, and so I think and Durinda, and so I think that makes sense. I'm totally okay with that. Candice Bush Now, I love Sex and the City was also an inspiration to the book because the early seasons are very centered on the Upper east Side. I mean, they're Part two of my book is called Scourge in the City, so you know, there are definitely references to that as well. So I'm excited to see her. So, from what I understand, filming went really well, so they wanted to add some more episodes during the summer, but I think we're getting it in the fall. I think it's a really quick turnaround. Maybe there will be a little bit of a break so for editing, but I'm pretty sure we're getting this in the fall.
Speaker 1: I would imagine they don't want to go up against Ultimate Girls' Trip because that's a little bit of the same audience, or you know, and maybe they want to wait till the new Roney season comes out and give it a minute and you know, piggyback off of that.
Speaker 2: Really Yeah, and I think I think it's a good time for it to come out regardless. And I don't think Ultimate Girls Trip. I think that comes out like August tenth or something like that, And there probably won't be a lot of episodes. If it goes by previous seasons, it'll probably be what six episodes something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was gonna say, I was going to say eight. I can't remember, though. Those are quick seasons. And for you know, everybody says that it'll be great, and I think everybody else because we'll watch anything on Bravo. Really, the problem is going to be sort of to get that audience to flip the channel over to E.
Speaker 2: I think there is. I mean people, there's definitely buzz about it. People are excited to see it. People wanted the Ogs to come back to Bravo for whatever reason. I did too. I freaking love that show. So I don't I don't know, I don't know why Bravo didn't do it. What do you think about that?
Speaker 1: Well, my question for you is I'm sure you've seen the new Rony trailer for the new season with you know, we've got Si, We've got Jessel, we've got Carol Radziwell that's it, right, Si and Jessel and Aaron, and then we have some new people and Carol Radswell. I listen. I've been fooled by a trailer before where I've been like, this is gonna be the best thing, and then it sucks. But I thought the trailer looked amazing.
Speaker 2: I think the trailer looked amazing too. I thought it looked really good. I think I did not like the last two seasons. I watched them, so it wasn't completely you know, biased, but I I did watch them. The last season was really kind of dark and a you know, it's not I'm actually a little bit surprised that it even survived, that's to tell you the truth. But yeah, I think the trailer looks really good. I'm interested in seeing what happens. It seems like they may have been trying to be too much like the old Ronian or and the two seasons that they had. It does seem like maybe their brand off a little bit more, which is sort of ironic because Carol Radziwell is joining, but I'm interested in seeing her on the show. I always liked her. We do see, we'll see, and then sighs going crazy about the Jeffrey absteeing things, And yeah, I don't think she. I don't think Carol expected that going into the show.
Speaker 1: No, I didn't expect she. She thinks she'd be called out on the street for that. And Si, of course, just like they announced she's getting a divorce, you know, right as they were filling. So we always love a divorce during one of our Housewives seasons. It makes it spicy, yeah.
Speaker 2: For sure, because she's like angry and she's you know, Carol's gonna get it. It looks like.
Speaker 1: Y'all by now. I hope you've seen my ad on Instagram for my perfectly Snug smarttopper for my mattress. Was it cringey?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Did it get the pointer cross? Yes, you guys, The perfectly Snug is a mattress pad that cools you why you sleep. It is a dream for us ladies of a certain age. And let's just say it men apausal women who sleep hot. Okay, but you know my husband also sleeps hot and he loves it too. The perfectly Snug is an air based mattress topper that blows air on you. It's not water based. I used to have a chili sleep. It was so gross because you always had to clean it out. So I'm thrilled with this no water option. This thing has dual zone, so Dave and I can choose our own cool settings. You can do a cold burst, you can do a pre warming option like if it's you know, the wintertime. You can even warm your feet if you need to. It has so many options, you guys. There's also a thirty night guarantee, so you literally have nothing to lose. Please try it out. Okay, you're gonna try it out and use my code. Go to perfectly snug dot com and use code pink shade at checkout for fifteen percent off. You guys, it is an amazing product and I wouldn't steer you wrong. So go to perfectly snug dot com and use code pink shade at checkout for fifteen percent and you're going to sleep cooler and you're going to thank me. Y'all. You know how much I love quins. They are the best summer pieces. These are the ones. You reach for over and over again. And right now I am obsessed with this white linen popover shirt. I'm wearing it right this minute. I wore it for all my recordings this week. It is so easy to throw on, and I have some white linen shorts to go with it. It's an adorable set. It's my new thing. You know. They have one hundred percent European linen, their pants dressed as tops. These are the pieces that you reach for all summer, and they started just thirty two dollars. You know, they have amazing soft denim, they have organic cotton sweaters, and of course they have that gorgeous silk and Mongolian cashmir Did you guys also know they have jewelry? Did you know they have maternity clothes? Did you know they have luggage? And also betting you guys, they have so much great stuff and they have the most amazing things or gifts. Everything at Quint's price fifty to eighty percent less than similar brands. They work directly with ethical factories and cut out the middleman, so you're paying for exceptional quality, not brand markup. Make your summer wardrobe feel easier. Go to quints dot com slash Pink Shade for free shipping on your order and three hundred and sixty five day returns. Now available in Canada too. That's q U I n CE dot com slash pink Shade for free shipping and three hundred and sixty five day returns, quints dot com slash Pink Shade and Canadian Bunkies. Let me know what you got, you know, speaking of divorce, you know Salt Lake City, we've got their either filming or have wrapped, and I imagine we're going to be because they usually launch that in the winter. I feel like to go with the Salt Lakes theme. Yeah, but we've got three divorces going on there. We've got Bronwyn and Whitney and Justin are separated, and now we've got the Angie k separation. The Angik just really like that took me down. I was upsetting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, except when I watched the last season when they did have scenes together with their child. Like, I think you can see that there's a disconnect. I think it probably became more of a friendship rather than like a romantic relationship. Okay, interesting, that's kind of like I thought. I I vividly sort of remember thinking that when I would watch those scenes, I was like, oh, there's not a lot of like there's no heat left.
Speaker 1: It seems I see what you're saying. That they seemed more like because they are like business partners and the radio child together, and I think, you know, when they I think this happens a lot when you have a new franchise starting that. I think the husbands are always pretty stunned when focus turns on them, like like you know, like wait, why why is anybody asking what I'm doing? You know, because I definitely than Seth. It definitely happened bron went and Todd, and of course Todd did not like that.
Speaker 2: Oh no, he was terrible.
Speaker 1: So Sean, I think, was very stunned to find that people were now chatting about his sexuality and this, that and the other. So that wasn't great for their marriage.
Speaker 2: Probably no, it probably yeah, yeah, for sure, definitely not good.
Speaker 1: Mary Cosby susband too, just it was like nope, I'm out. I live in Florida. Now fuck this.
Speaker 2: There's like, no, there's only Lisa's husband, Lisa's husband and Meredith's susband. They're the only They're the last one standing.
Speaker 1: What did you think about Lisa's post with her and John Barlow and like matching jeans and white T shirts with their Veta tequila in their hand, being like still standing strong.
Speaker 2: I thought it was kind of bitchy, but like in the best possible way. Clearly she must not be on good terms with Angie k right now, because that's rubbing it in a little bit. But I wouldn't expect anything less from her. But I still love her.
Speaker 1: I love her too. I thought it was not nice. No, you definitely nice, sort of like haha, I'm still married and you're not. I mean, I don't know, but I was very sad about that. But it's going to be a great season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely. I like Salt Lake. I think it's interesting. I think they still have a lot of story left in them. Oh yeah, I'm curious what this new season is going to be like because it starts filming like literally right after Mary's Son past. Yeah, it's that's.
Speaker 1: That's a lot. Yeah, it is going to be a speaking of dark my god. Yeah, So we've got Salt Lake. So are you watching oc? I mean, are you watching it or you hate watching it? Are you like me? I'm just like I'll watch anything they give me. So I'm just watching it.
Speaker 2: I'm watching it. Oc is not a show that I've watched from the very beginning. I don't even think I found it until COVID when I was looking for other things to watch. I tried to watch the early seasons and I just couldn't because like the production value is like terrible, and it's just it's so hard to watch. But I did go back and I watched up until when Shannon's first season. So there's a lot of like criticism about Shannon, but I've always found Shannon to be a really interesting character. Yeah, so I'm watching it. Is it like the best show ever? No, I mean it's not, but I mean I like it. It's I'm interested in it. I'm glad that Vicky's back. I do find her to be like just an interesting individualist, like a writer who looks at things like character wise. I think she's an interesting character. I don't know that she's somebody that I would like in real life, but I like watching her.
Speaker 1: That's interesting because a lot of people have also been like, we didn't need it. Why is Vicky back? I was like, it's the twentieth season. They had to bring it back. It was a great step and it works and she's delivering, you know, and you know, lover hate Vicky and people get mad at me when I say this. She is the og of the OC and people will be like, no, Gina was cast first. I don't care. Vicky's the one that's been on the longest, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's like nostalgics. I have her back on. She's literally the og of all of them, like she she started this, so yeah, I think it was only fair to have her back on.
Speaker 1: I completely agree. Did you have did you have opinions on? People had a lot of strong opinions about Gina Keo doing a GoFundMe for her health care. I mean, in my mind, I'm like, if she doesn't have the money to pay for her healthcare, I don't think there's any problem with it. That's where we are in this country. But people are like, no, it's tone deaf because they went on a vacation to Tahiti. And I'm like, well, two things can be true, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's it's complicated. We don't know the details of you know, her finances. Would I personally start to go find me, no, but you know, to each their own. Apparently she can't work now, she's a real stag agent. She can't talk like she had part of her tongue removes. So this is I don't know what I would actually do in a situation like that. Yeah, so, I mean I don't falter in it at all. Like I hope she has a you know, speedy recovery and only good thoughts towards her.
Speaker 1: God bless, it's terrible. Okay, speaking of things that are dark and God bless and terrible, I am obsessed with The Valley. I love the Valley. I love everything about The Valley. I am upset to hear rumors that it's going to be canceled. At the very least, they've got to keep it around for Jack's Day, his ex publicist, and Michelle Danny doctor Dre. That's that's enough to give us another season, right there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so The Valley is definitely my hate watch. Okay, it's but I actually watched a couple of like, rewatched a couple episodes last night, and I was like, this is good. Like I can't tell if I like it or it just like activates me in some weird way. I think, yes, there's lots of rumors about this being the last season, and I think it'd be fine if it was the last season, quite frankly, but if it's not the last season, I think Jackson needs to come back. I also think all of the men on that show should want Jax back, because when he was on the show, you didn't see how bad all of them were. Ninety nine percent of those men are terrible individuals. The only one that I can think of off the top of my head, and we don't see him very much, but he seems to be a decent guy and they have a good relationship, is Janet's husband, Jason. All the other ones are horrific, horrific individuals. Women should watch this show and be like, I don't think I'm gonna get married, Like they should all just go live in a commune and raise their children themselves, because if you were to look at these men as a sample of what's out there, no, why would you ever? And Kristin. I feel so bad for Kristin because she has this little child attached to her, she's going through postpartum, and Luke is the worst of all of them. I cannot watch that show and watch him without it makes me crazy. I am screaming at the TV like he makes me insane. And they wanted that child very badly. They wanted that child, and now that they have it, he's acting like a complete douchebag.
Speaker 1: You think Luke is worse than Danny.
Speaker 2: You know what, It's depends on the week, but they're both horrible. They're both really really bad. Danny's really bad. But my opinion of Nina actually or Nia lately has changed when when I when I originally watched it, like I thought that she was definitely a lot sweeter in the beginning, but I'm getting like, like, I feel like she's pulling the strings a little bit, and I think she she's she's definitely covering for him in a lot of ways.
Speaker 1: And absolutely, yeah.
Speaker 2: She's covering for him in so many ways, and it makes me worried about her, like what is actually going on?
Speaker 1: Yes, it makes me worried about her too, because you know, she had a baby and then she had twins and if that wasn't enough, they were like, let's just let's just keep it going. I mean, and I understand a lot of young people were like, well, if we're gonna have kids. Let's just knock it all out, and they get terrible for ten years and then you know, and then we'll be on the other side of it. But if you don't have a good relationship, I don't know how you're going to get on the other side of it. And if your husband is lying constantly about his drinking, you know, let me tell you. You don't know this about me. My husband is twelve years sober. So this Nia and Danny thing is like super triggering for me because his behavior is so familiar to me, and her behavior is also familiar to me, the protecting and deflecting and look over here, don't look over here, you know. But when Lala called her a thug in a prairie dress, I was like, now.
Speaker 2: I know, right, Laala, you kind of definitely needed her to like pop in here and sort of like express her opinion, because she does sort of say what no one else is saying. Yes, So when you watch it, you can see Nia doing that.
Speaker 1: She's absolutely protecting him and absolutely when he starts to spire off, which I know that she just has to feel sick going into any event knowing he's going to be drinking. No what it's going to turn into, because she knows once you get some drinks in him, I can't control him. I can't get him to you know, one, two, three eyes on me. She can't get him to focus because now he's drunk, and now he's mad, and he hates a la la stands for everything he hates, you know, like single woman, okaying for sexuality. You know, he just can't stand that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's terrible. Also, like I know that they are on him a lot about it, about his drinking, and I don't drink anymore. I wouldn't say that I was an alcoholic, but like a year and a half ago or so, I just realized it didn't work for me anymore. Made me I felt a little depressed afterwards, no matter how much I drink. And that might be where he is too. Maybe he's not a raging alcoholic, but he has an issue. There's an issue there. Also, he's doing this on camera. What is he doing when he's not on camera?
Speaker 1: That's exactly the way he speaks to her makes you think if you're speaking to her knowing that you both have microphones on, yes, how are you speaking to her when you take the microphones off that Nanny has seen some shit, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I also think that she's got some fight in her too, So I'd like to hear how she talks when the cameras aren't rolling and when she's not maked up, too, because I don't think she puts up with nearly as much as people are thinking that she does, or if she is putting up with it, there's a different side of her that we have yet to see.
Speaker 1: I think that's right because we have seen it before when last season they were on the phone and she was like, let me tell you something. You go home and do this and then you go you know, and you're like, yeah, glimpses, yeah, glimpses.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think there's glimpses of it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that maybe that's why he drinks. I don't know. I'm just kidding. But it's interesting that you think Luke is worse because a lot of people have such strong feelings on Luke. And I did actually appreciate this week when when they were in therapy and she said, I she said, this will watch what happens. I've told him when we're in therapy, say it, like, get it out while we're in therapy. You don't talk to me like that at home. But for him to say, you know, I wanted you to have this baby, but then I had never met pregnant Kristin. But then, but then he's pushing to have another baby.
Speaker 2: It's crazy. It doesn't make any sense to me. I love that scene though, and the therapist in Kristin, I thought they wanted I thought they were going to like beat his ass. That therapist like looked at her like what, yeah.
Speaker 1: I love the therapists. Yeah whoa said it?
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah. So she even had a huge reaction, so that. Yeah, he's terrible. I feel bad for Kristen because she's like in it. You know, she's got this small child attached to her. But I'm curious, you know, where will she be in five years? You know.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm excited for the reunion. I know they just filmed it obviously, because they did some like looks of the reunion. I'm excited to see sort of where we are now because when you have just had that baby, and I can imagine, especially for Nia has had like back to back kids, and it's all filmed. And that's why people don't like the show, because they think it's dark, but in my mind, I'm like, it's really a real representation of that time in your life. And you know, while we have people that age on Summer House, you know, we've got people in the valley sort of like in it with like marriage and babies, and I don't know, I find it. I find it fascinating and I'll be very sad if they cancel it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like I said, I kind of hate watch it. But then there are times when I'm watching it, I'm like, wait, no, this is actually really good and there's some real stuff happening here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, yeah, Now question for you, what what else are you watching? So if you're not watching like Bravo or sitting around waiting for the E show to happen, what are you watching.
Speaker 2: I rewatch a lot of things. I watch a lot of movies. I'm you know, I write horror and comedy and those are the kind of things that I watch. But I do love reality TV. I find it like I'm able to watch it and I can kind of like switch my brain off. I find that if I It's the same way with reading, Like when I'm writing, I don't read a lot of fiction. I can read memoirs, like anything like a magazine or something on the subway or whatever, because I like people's stories and I like to absorb people's stories. But like fiction or something scripted, I'm a little pickier about watching or reading. But there are things in the horror world that I'm very excited about coming up. Like there's a Crystal like series. There's a Carry series happening.
Speaker 1: I saw about the Carrey series. That's interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm super excited about that. The new season of American Horror Story is following the Coven storyline, which was my favorite season. Yeah, so I'm super excited about that. I started watching Real Housewives of London and I think it's going well. I was very upset about uh, Ladies of London being canceled because I loved.
Speaker 1: It beyond I would listen to it. Listen. If they said to me, we're going to cancel The Valley or cancel Ladies of London, it would be a Sophie's choice for me. But I would say, Okay, we're done with the Valley, give me more Ladies of London.
Speaker 2: Yes, Because we were like, we're robbed, We're robbed of what could have happened with that show. It was such a great cast. It was so interesting. It made me want to move to London. So Andy Cohen, they talked. Andy Cohn was talking about that it was the ratings, that that's reason why Ladies of London was canceled. Do you believe that? Because it took him a while to say that.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I believe it or not believe it. But every person I know, every Bravo podcast or every you know, Bravo influencer, everybody was obsessed with it. You didn't find me like like a lot of people were kind of hot and cold on OC and you'd get a lot of people hot and cold about lots of things. But everybody loved the show.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was great, and it was great because of the cast. I mean, there wasn't a lot of drama happening. It just was like this sort of just a magical cast that they put together. Do you think. So there was rumors about Margo's husband potentially suing, although she went on Jeff Lewis's radio show and said that that was not the case and that if it was the case, you'd be able to find a lawsuit. So obviously a lawsuit wasn't filed, But do you think that potentially he threatened to sue and then on top of that, they had you know, late uh Real Housewives of London potentially in the can to use on Peacock or Bravo as well. So do you think maybe they're like, uh, we'll just cut our losses. Like I don't. I'm very fascinated on what happened, and I do remember like she's made a comment about going off of social media, but she literally went off social media like right before this came out, as though she like knew something was coming.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think the margo of it is interesting, and it's also interesting that she went on Jeff's show like after it was canceled, right like because people were doing so much press before that she wasn't doing anything.
Speaker 2: Oh she did. She did appear. She appeared while the show was airing. She did appear on Jeff's show also.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, so she appeared twice. Yeah, yeah, I found that. It's also weird to me too that they had the cast we had, Mark, we had, Kimmy, we had we had almost every cast member was either on Watch What Happens Live like Bartender or like sitting with Andy and doing tons of press and tons of podcasts and everything. So they were paying for all this pr and then they haled it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like we're not getting the full story. Definitely not I like the full story. I'd like to know what happened. I also, I really loved Mark Francis on that show. I know that there's been like a lot of talk because you know, Bravo's audience is women and gay men primarily, and there's been a lot of talk on how to incorporate like maybe a gay character into the Housewives. And while that wasn't The Housewives, I think that they did it brilliantly. Like he totally fit in. He's a very interesting character. I mean, he lives in Oscar wild, it's flat. Yeah, he's just he's very interesting. Again, I don't know that i'd like him in person, he seems like a lot, but as some as a viewer watching something and you know, a writer who's interested in characters, I found him very fascinating.
Speaker 1: I completely agree. And then the whole thing with Hecate dying and we didn't.
Speaker 2: Get oh I know, I know, because he drowned, right, he drowned in the bathtub. He drowned in the bathtub during the heat wave.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and she said he was always so careful around water, and then he I was like, oh my god, it's like a wild bird she found in her yard that she made her pet. You just can't you just can't make it up. You can't make it up. It's fascinating. Well, I hope with all the uproar about it, I kind of hope that maybe they'll sort of revisit bringing it back and sort of give us a Miami situation where they'll make us wait a little bit and then they'll bring it back with the same people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think waiting would be a mistake. Though. That's a problem. Like it was so magical right when it was filming. They should have picked up cameras right away, unless, like, do you think because it's in London that it's an especially expensive show. I don't know, is that more expensive than New York or Beverly Hills.
Speaker 1: I can't imagine. They just have their team there that does it.
Speaker 2: You know, they're not paying them barely anything. You know, it's first season, so I don't know.
Speaker 1: Sure lay Real Housewives of London. I know that I had a listener write me and said that they had already seen the first season because it's aired in England. Yeah, and they were like, I gotta tell you, it's nowhere near as good as Ladies of London. I don't know what Bravo was thinking by picking this up instead of Lady's of London. It's just doesn't compare. I watched the first episode and it kind of lost me. Is so maybe I need to try again.
Speaker 2: If you if you thought it was good, I think it has promise. I think it's interesting. I don't think it's as good as Ladies of London, but I think you you can't really compare it to that. I did see the trailer though, and Derinda pops up, which I found very interesting.
Speaker 1: Yes, she doesn't want you to ever forget she lived in London.
Speaker 2: No, never, and she's like, I forget them that character's name. I don't have all the characters' names, but she is friends with the one who seems to be the most reserved. But in the trailer, she like loses her mind because there's I think, like an American where there's like another Juliette who's joining in like episode five or something like that, and apparently like she comes in and really starts stirring stuff up. So it will be interesting. It'll be interesting to watch these women who are so poised and like reserved and proper like lose their minds because they're going to Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's why I like Ladies of London. Yeah, okay, did you? I mean, I'm sure you did. What did you think of Real housew as a Rhode Islander our newest franchise.
Speaker 2: I loved every minute of it, loved every minute of it. I have questions. I'd like somebody to do, like a really in depth interview, because I want to know. I pieced some things together based on social media and what cast members have said, but I want to know when was this cast, what was that process, who brought who? Because it's perfect, it's perfect how it happened. But I have a feeling like it's been in the works for a long time and from what I understand, it's like a two year thing and like it's but it's perfect. I don't know how especially like and I don't know no offense to Rhode Island, but I had no idea about the personalities there, and just just the fact that they were able to piece together this brilliant cast, each one there is no weak link. They're all great, and just the fact that they were able to do that makes me wonder, Okay, where is Real Housewives of New Orleans? Where is Real Housewives of Austin? Where is? It just made me open my brain to potential new franchises, which should also make established franchises a little bit worried. Because if you have Real Housewives of Rhode Island coming on and just like blowing it out of the water and everybody loving it, and you know it didn't cost barely anything for them to make it, none of them are making money in the beginning. Then you have, you know, cast like Orange County, which has been around twenty years now, or Beverly Hills, which cost a fortune, although that's more of a lifestyle show, so that might be exempt from this. But all these other shows that have been around for a long time, like I don't know, like I it might be time to start retiring shows. What do you think about that?
Speaker 1: That makes me sad because you know, they did that to our New York and we did like it. So O C is a little different because I think we generally the fandom doesn't feel as strongly about the OC women as we did our og New York ladies. Yeah, I think people just feel so strongly about that. You know, the Luay and the Bethany of the Sonia and you know Jill Zeron even God Bless and we feel so strongly about that. I am excited about the E Show, but and I'm also excited about the New New York I think, and as a New Yorker you can speak to this. I think they shouldn't have named it real House as of New York.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was their biggest mistake. It should have been I mean, there's already in the city or the city or whatever, but they should have they should have called it something else.
Speaker 1: That was a huge mistakes in Manhattan, just something.
Speaker 2: Something something, or not even housewives. It could have been like I don't know, it could have been the I think, well, they weren't all moms. I was going to say, maybe they could have gone back to the original life idea of Roney and called in Manhattan Moms or something like that. I just think the mistake was calling it the same thing and not sort of refreshing the entry. So it's like, what is it real Housewives of New York season whatever. But it's like going to be their third season, right.
Speaker 1: I didn't like that at all because they haven't earned that. You know, season sixteen, seventeen, they were Season one. They were a season one cast, and that's what we should have done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would be really pissed off if I was one of the ogs for them to be on season thirteen or fourteen or whatever it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. I don't know. I mean they're trying, you know, they're kind of rebranding New Jersey, and I haven't really heard any buzz either way. We know that Milania was in the news for you know, punching her stepfather allegedly or her stepbrother. Not sure she punched somebody with the initials l R. And hope that'll play out, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I I'm kind of concerned about New Jersey. I feel like it's been a long time since filming, and I just I don't know what that's gonna look like. I am happy that Teresa Melissa seem to be on a better page. Whether that's manufactured or not, I don't know. Maybe it took Maybe it took Teresa. You know, a couple of years pause and no paycheck to be like, eh, I don't dislike you guys that much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not. I'm not a giant. Teresa's Dan and I hate that Louis, so I'll watch it just because I don't want to hate watch that red face monster. You know.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, Louis is definitely like a triggering individual. But I do you know, watching jen h the New Gens show, I Teresa, what I find interesting with her is as wild and crazy as she seems to be, and she's arguably, like maybe one of the most volatile housewives that we've had. Gia seems so well adjusted like her kids. I know, Milania is kind of having a little bit of issues, but Milania arrived from the womb like that. Like Milania was a wild child from the moment, like she was on camera, like that's just her personality, Like that's just how she was born. But all her other kids, and Malania's too. Malanie is not a bad kid. But Teresa's doing something right because she seems to have raised some really great children.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think if you look at it, Gia has had to be a parent, you know. Yeah, and then Malania came along as a third daughter into this TV world and then God bless Gabrielle. We never see her and she's probably the smartest one of all, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, Yeah, it's yeah. I'm not a huge teresastan, but when you think about everything that she's put on TV, it's kind of miraculous. Yeah, that's it's amazing what she has gone through on TV.
Speaker 1: I could agree. Okay, Now tell everybody about what they can do if they want to get your book, and also let me this is this is for real. I saw you post that somebody was reading your book on the subway. Was that real or was that your friend?
Speaker 2: No comment?
Speaker 1: Because I saw that, I was like that that would be really something to be in the wild and see somebody reading your book. That would really be something.
Speaker 2: Yes, Yeah, a hot dude reading, hot dude reading.
Speaker 1: That's that's what more do you want on your Instagram rather than hot dude reading?
Speaker 2: Yes, So you can find me on Instagram at Jason Zephyr. You can find my book Jason Zephyr dot com. But it's available everywhere online. You can also go to your local bookstore and if it's not in stock, ask them to put it in stock. I released it independently in my own company after kind of severing ties with a very big agency. This was after publishers sort of wanted me to change the main character a little bit. They wanted her they didn't find her to be likable enough. But that's something that like female characters get a lot. Uh the husband is cheating on the wife and like has you know his mistress in a hotel suite, but nothing about him, nothing about him, only about Yeah, he's fine, but she's a little depressed in the beginning, and oh, can't she be more likable or she needs to be thinking about her child to her children at every step of the moment. But so I decided to do it myself. I started my own company called It's a Live Books. I hired a cartoonist from the New Yorker to do my cover, which is really a beautiful covers cover. It's beautiful. His name is Dan Mistilla, so he designed the cover. I hired editors, I did, I'm doing all the marketing, and so I just kind of decided to do it myself. Reviews have been really great. It's a great summer read. Yes, I'm super entertaining. It's not the kind of book that's going to sit on your nightstand and like stare at you for six months. Like it's the kind of book that you're going to read on vacation. You're going to read it on the plane, You're going to read it over a weekend. It's a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: I am taking the book to we have a beach ouse. I'm going to take it there and leave it there so that when people come, because it's I think it's a great beach read. So when people come, because a lot of times people will come to visit, they're like, oh, I don't have anything to read, and I'm like, well, I've got these choices, So I'm going to take it because I think it's a great a beach read as well. And I got to tell you, there is a little bit of a horror to it, but it is it is very tongue in cheek funny. I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so there is definitely horror to it, but it's not necessarily for people for that only like horror.
Speaker 1: Like it's because it's campy.
Speaker 2: It's super funny. Even you know, it's zombies, so you know, spoiler, there's some blood and guts and zombies eat people like this is what they do. This is what they do, but I try to write it with a sense of humor. And you know, the response has been really good. The editorial reviews have been great, the reader reviews have been great. It's growing. I'm hoping that it pops off. I appreciate you having me on your shows to tell people about it. Oh yeah, so yeah, so you can. You can buy it online everywhere. You can go to my website jasonzeffor dot com follow me at Jason's effort, but also go to your local bookstore and ask for it, and if they don't have it in stock, that lets them know we need to order this. Because they can order it. It's available for every bookstore to order. I have a couple of meetings actually at the end of the week for a couple of big stores in New York City and so yeah, so I'm excited.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, fun fact, I used to work at a little local bookstore here in Alexandria, Virginia, and that was like, there's a few favorite things about working there because I worked my regular job and I worked that part time and I was in my twenties, and my favorite thing was on Sundays. The people that got the New York Times would come in and get their New York Times and read it in the store. They would sit, yeah, and read it, because you couldn't really get New York Times delivered to your house at that way back in the olden days. And what I really love too is people coming in and asking for books, and if we didn't have them, you know, we'd have to go into our system and order them for people. And then we would always order three, right this person wants someone, now, we'll have two on the shelf. And it was always great because it was a way to find out about books I didn't know about because someone had heard of it some way and they wanted they wanted to get it from the local bookstore. So I think that's a that's a hot tip to go buy your local bookstore and ask people to order it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. And for the bookstores because I'm in contact with like three large bookstores if they're listening to this, carry my book because I'm doing interviews and I can point people in to where they can buy the book in New York City. So yeah, yeah, so buy the book, stop the book, do the book.
Speaker 1: And try to buy local if you can. I'm very I'm very into local booksellers. Okay, thank you Jason very much, and everybody go buy the book and I'll have his Instagram link here in the show notes so you can click it. It's very it's a good follow as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you so much, Mary Payne. Okay,