Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get it started. Hour number two here on a Tuesday game day. Louisville and Virginia Tech tonight. I was thinking Kentucky play tonight, but they don't play until tomorrow, and I know they're taking on a Oklahoma team that has really kind of fallen apart in in SEC play, which is of course hurt Louisville because that's one of their losses. That's the loss that right now stands as a Quad two loss. But if Oklahoma can somehow finish in the top fifty of the net, then it becomes a Quad one loss, which that's not a big difference. But if your Quad one looks better, that's good for you. It's just you know, I think the committee will realize if Oklahoma finishes at fifty or forty nine, you know, it's it's that should that's going to be taken into consideration as well. But anyways, Oklahoma, Yeah, they lost. I believe it was six in a row. In fact, they lost Gosh, they lost six of seven starting at the end of January and Their only wins in SEC play came against the bad teams Arkansas, South Carolina, Vandy.
Speaker 3: They actually lost to LSU.
Speaker 2: But they did just beat Mississippi State, which is their best win of the season. Really, I guess really their best win of SEC play they do have. I mean, they're went against Loislle. That's funny. I don't know why, but I'm just not used to looking at Louisville as a good win because it has I mean, you didn't have many wins the last few years, but if you go look at, you know, teams that beat Louisville, lois is a valuable win. I mean, Louisville is a quad one win for everybody who they who has beat them because they're top thirty overall. I mean, by the way, Oklahoma, I mean this. This This is an example of why people can claim the SEC is so loaded and have a great argument because they've been destroyed in SEC players. I mentioned. The only wins they have are against the bad teams, the non tournament team seemingly and then Mississippi State, who is you know, good team. But in non conference play, Oklahoma, other than beating Louisville, they beat Arizona, who's who's ended up having a pretty good season. They beat Michigan. You know, Michigan's a top twenty five caliber team, top twenty team depending on where you look. So their freshman guard is Jeremiah Fears. I mean, he had a great game against Louisville and he's a hell of a player. Up a phenomenal game against Mississippi State. But anyways, Oklahoma in Kentucky will play tomorrow night and it's in I mean, Kentucky has become not boring to talk about, I mean, not like excited to talk about them. But I just think they're they're a situation. I mean, they're kind of in a holover right like when fully healthy. Clearly they're a good team, and they've had some wins where they were able to kind of steal games without I mean I shouldn't even say steal it. I mean, they just beat Tennessee straight up in Knoxville and Lexington without a full team. It wasn't flukey by any means. And Tennessee's a really good team. So they've done it right, They've beat good teams win not fully healthy, but they also could lose to any of these teams and it wouldn't be a big shocker because again they're not at full strength. But according to Ken Palm, it's an eighty four eighty two win for Kentucky tomorrow night. And the latest update on Lamont Butler and Jackson Robinson, two guys that clearly important to Kentucky. I mean, I don't know if it's accurate to say that it's a vague update, because it is, like, you know, it's something, but Mark Pope talked. I don't know if it was yesterday or today, but I did see KSR had a write up on not only Mark Pope's comments on Jackson Robinson and Lamont Butler, but also some players that talked to the media mentioned it. But Poe said, this is yesterday. They were actually pretty functional and functional in the limited work that they did today. Certainly they're both on the uptick. Were hopeful about both of them. Now that's just a coach saying what he's supposed to say and really not I mean, again, being hopeful and I guess mentioning that they're pretty functional on the limited work. I guess that can be looked at as promising. But both guys have played got hurt, felt like they weren't going to come back for a long time, then came back, and then now they've both missed at least the last three games, it seems. But Otiga Oway and Colin Chandler also spoke with some optim about getting those guys back, saying that it's only a matter of time now. Lenardi still has Kentucky as a three seed, and I can't I'd like to be able to say that's inaccurate and they're gonna end up having a worse see it. I guess they will if they end up continuing continuing to lose games. But man, I just see that's another example of why the SEC. I mean, they've just been dominant this year in college basketball. And when you do that, you're gonna get rewarded on Selection Sunday, and you know what you do with it is always a real coin toss because sometimes the teams that have and again, people can spin it whatever where they want. Right if you're if you're loaded as far as getting a ton of teams in the tournament and they all fall short, some people will say, well, yeah, it was overrated, you weren't as good as you thought you were. You just beat up on each other. But you could also claim, you know that, well, it's because they went through a really tough stretch of conference play, night in and night out, playing great teams. And man, the SEC tournament, I mean, that's going to be a tournament that is, I mean, winning that thing is going to be a big, big deal because of how tough it's going to be to win it. And I'm sure that's what the SEC hanks will run with if they end up failing in the tournament. But if I'm being honest, I don't think they will. I happen to believe that this league is really, really good, and you know, I'm jealous.
Speaker 3: I talked about it last week.
Speaker 2: I had real jealousy watching these SEC games on a nightly basis, seemingly where you've got two really good teams playing, you know, some really really good college basketball. But right now, as soon as I mentioned that that Louisville is a quad one win for Kentucky, somebody mentioned that Louisville has got to be one of Kentucky's best wins. No. I mean, look, it's a quad one, but their quad one wins are let's see, you've got Duke, that's a quad one gonzag on a neutral as aquad one, Louisville's aquad one, Florida's a odd one, and then winning like on the road at Mississippi State that that might have actually fallen to Quad two or no, I'm sorry, it's on the road, so no, it's definitely quad one. So Louisville is a valuable non conference win for Kentucky, but they also have, you know, two better in the non conference portion, with Gonzaga and with with Duke.
Speaker 3: I have a real issue with Gonzaga.
Speaker 2: We just talked about Mark mark fewer earlier just because I feel like if you were ever gonna be able to get him to leave Gonzaga, now it's the time to do it. But like they, I don't know how they've been able to influence the numbers. Maybe it's because when they play the likes of Pacific and Pepperdine, they beat him so bad that it helps them jump up. Like Loyola Marymount Portland. I mean, these are teams they just demolished. But you know their their losses aren't really bad. Their one bad loss would be Santa Clara and Oregon State. But like they played a challenging schedule, but they didn't win, like they didn't win any of the games that were like really challenging games.
Speaker 3: I guess they beat Baylor, but like that actually.
Speaker 2: Baylor being borderline top thirty in the net and Baylor and Gonzaga beating them by nearly forty I guess that'll help you. But if you look at it, and I promise we'll move on from these from the quad one conversation, because I understand, you know, it's not interesting at all, But sometimes I just can't help myself. I'm a nerd for this kind of stuff. But when you look at the quad because one of the things that that somebody mentioned the other day might have been on the text line, might have been somebody I was talking to, I'm not sure, but it's true. It doesn't prove anything, but it is a good point. You're you know, you benefit from just opportunities to play quad one because if you play a bunch of Quad one, even if you have a losing record in Quad one games.
Speaker 3: But you're competitive, you're gonna be juiced.
Speaker 2: In the numbers. That's just how that's a flawed formula, but that's what the formula is like For Kentucky, they've played how many they've played sixteen Quad one games, they're eight and eight. They're one and one in Quad two, so you know that's how they're They're on the three line and their net is at number twelve, and that's how you're a three seed. I mean that that's I mean they're three in Minardi of four in Jerry Palm. So look, sixteen opportunities to play Quad one games. In fact, I'm not sure if a team has played more, I don't think they have. So they're five hundred, which I don't say that to like knock them. I mean again, they don't have a bad loss. Worst loss for them is Georgia and that'll end up being a Quad one. But you look at teams like Louisville. I mean, Louisvill's only had eight, so half the opportunities in Louisville also five hundred in Quad one. Louisville's played nine Quad two games. Kentucky has played two. So again, their league is so loaded that nearly every game is a Quad one opportunity, so you don't really have any real harm and losing, and when you win, it's big time. So the good louisll would have played sixteen quad one games. Would they be eight and eight or better? I have no clue. My gut tells me probably not. I guess it would depend on kind of when those games were played, because I do think Louisville is a much better team now than they were in November and even December. That's not to say they would beat the teams that beat them early on, because the teams they lost to early on were good and are good still for the most part. Are you again? It's coffee and company? We are feeled about Thornton's here on Sports Talk. Seven ninety five point two five one seventy nine hundred is the number. If you guys want to join us on the show, I say us because I'm not alone to coffee. That's me the tribal chief alongside today. Were you spoiled as a kid, Oh, of course I was. Are you saying that to sound like an appreciative child or you really like spoiled?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 5: No, I was because I was. I was the youngest out until I was like eleven. I think how much older am I than my brother now? About ten or eleven?
Speaker 2: And then how much are you the baby?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 5: So I'm the oldest out of three from the family that I grew up with. Gosh, so I'm thirty, I'm thirty one. My brother is nomber brother is like twenty three, twenty four.
Speaker 2: So okay, so you you had you had a childhood alone with siblings to where Yeah, so that makes sense. The reason I ask is because it hit me on the drive end today because I was spending some time spoiling my kids today. Sure, and uh, they don't know it, and they'll know whenever they get home. And you know, my children are well behaved. I don't say that to you know, I mean, I know everybody probably says that about their kids, but my my you know, my son is is you know, he's he's a he's a well behaved kid. He doesn't give us any trouble at all. And you know if he does though in times have you know, if he's fussy or you know, like he knows if he's even a tiny bit of like back talk to his mom, he's gonna hear me and he's not gonna like it, and he, you know, he's mindful of it. Like he's a good kid. My daughter, she specially needs child. She intellectually disabled and is autistic. So you know she's a The way I look at it is I get like the great age for a long time because her intellectual level as to where I'm still almost as far as like like I'm still talking to a toddler, and you know with that comes challenges and whatnot. But also you know, it's you know, I look at it as it's a you know, you guys are your kids are getting older. I'm still keeping the sweet you know, I'm still you know, I'm still daddy, and I'm still tucking her in at night, and you know it's it's it's a blessing. She's she's a blessing to us. But I did for the first time as a parent, think, Okay, I have no problem in getting them something they asked for, But do I need to be setting it up to where like in order to get what you ask for, that is, you know, a new gift or not really a gift, just something we're getting for you. I guess you'd call it a gift, but like, should there be a level of like real appreciation, because I think my kids appreciate it. But like as a kid, I I was spoiled, but I didn't know it, Like I didn't feel like I was going without. But I just got accustomed to like if I really really wanted something, my parents would do whatever they could to make it happen, you know what I mean. Now, I was punished and held accountable if I sure, you know, if I got in trouble, that kind of stuff. I had a comfortable I was always says I had a comfortable fear of my parents to where I knew that like not only that I did not want to disappoint him because are my parents, but like I didn't want to see them angry, and I knew that if I did, it would be like a bad thing, and that would be you know, I comfortable fear. It feels the best way to describe it. So my son is getting a PlayStation today. He's four, the newest one fiver.
Speaker 3: It's a four.
Speaker 2: I think we bought it from a friend who was getting rid of it, So, I mean, that's still still amazing. We go out and like, you know, break the bank. It wasn't some big expense, but you know we we paid for it. Sure, I bought two K and I got it all set up. I got his gaming chair set up, and I'm doing it just to do it sure, and I think he's gonna be so excited. He's gonna tell me thank you, he's gonna tell me he loves me, and like there's no harm in all that. But I guess what I worry about that I've never worried about before is what if he like doesn't like what if he says, Dad, I need a new Mercedes when I turned sixteen, Like you know, I'm assuming he'll have the he'll have the you know, he'll read the room and wherewithal Yeah, yeah, that we don't live that kind of lifestyle. And we've told him no before, but you know, like we're just doing it because we want. Like me and my wife have been texting all day about like how when they get home and Musco's in his room, he's going to see his new gaming chair and he's got a TV in there now, and he's got a PS four and he's got and he's got two k's had the TV in there before. Okay, it's one that we had that I actually had in my office that I just I don't use, so I put it in there and it's perfect size, it's smaller, so and then Maya she's real her sensory sensory issues. It's very similar to In fact, we didn't even get the news until recently that she was on the spectrum and she was autistic, which wasn't you know. We weren't like hoping to hear that, but we always thought there was a good chance, just because she has a lot of and by the way, autism is very rare in girls. I don't know if people realize that or not. I bet there's people listening right now that thought about it. You know what, when I think of autistic children or autistic people that I know, I bet you're thinking right now, most of them are not girls. So it's different in girls, and it's harder to diagnose. But we did get the diagnosis recently, and that sort of explains her. She's just really fixated on certain things. Like she has kids in her class that are in a wheelchair or a they've got, like maybe a a special need stroller, and she in class, you know, she helps with those kids. Those are her best friends. She gets to push them around at time in class and she loves it. So she gets I mean, we have one at home that she just pushes around and she's obsessed with it. She's got baby dolls she's obsessed with, so when she gets on something, she's just really into it. And yeah, exactly. So we were at a friend's house the other night and her her friend, who is the same age our friend's daughter, Addie, she had she's she's into gymnastics and she's got one of those little toy balance beams. Yeah, and Maya was all about it and she was walking on it and you know just I mean, you'd have thought she just completed uh, you know, at the she just competed at the Olympics in gymnastic. She was loving it. So we were like, okay, well we got to get her one of these because she loves it. So because we told her, And and that's one of the things with like the the processing of things changing, or the fear of like I need to see that or I need to have it. Like that's that's the balancing act we have as parents. So you know, we told her that we would order it and she would get it, but she doesn't know when it's coming, and you know, until she gets it, she just wants to look on her tablet or on her mom's phone a picture of it. And that's just kind of what she's really you know, she just she's she's in her comfort, she's in her comfory space. If she's just at least looking at her her new fixation. Sure, so when she gets home today, she's going to walk in her room and she's going to see her new balance beam and she's gonna be real excited. So that's pretty cool. We've been texting, like we thought about like making them wait for like, you know, an easter present or but we can't.
Speaker 3: We want to spoil them, And I don't think.
Speaker 2: There's anything wrong with that, but you got to you gotta know your limits.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know you're rewarding good behavior. You just said that you don't really have to yell at them. They're good in school and they're just positive, and that something that you don't have to worry about when it comes back when they turn eighteen, that they're going to be so spoiled that they expect, Well, I'm pretty sure you guys do hell of a job as parents. You're gonna relate you good behavior and that that just teaches them, like it's just gradually life lessons that they're going to learn, and they're just going to learn how to be you know, good people and not necessarily like get rewarded.
Speaker 2: Every time they do. Some good things happen if you put good energy out the exactly. So you know, one thing that helped us is that like he doesn't think he's like the PlayStation is certainly as going to be awesome to him, But he has a lot like a lot of my friends, most of my friends who have kids and that have sons, they're older than Moose, probably by you know, three four years, so they have systems rather be Xbox or PlayStation. And he didn't have one. So you know, we've just told him it's because you're young. So but ye know, so he'll he's not going to feel like he can get anything he wants. He's going to think, well, I have one now, and all my all my friends have one, so I think we'll be okay. But it's just one of those sure where I would start to worry is if he just knows that, if he if he's at it long enough and he's you know, really throwing out the charisma, he's really he's really over with us, then he can get whatever he wants. But he look, he's been dolt. As I say this, I'm now realizing, like he's asked for certain things and we've told him no, and he's done the pouty face. But then you know, he gets over it.
Speaker 5: So I'll tell you what, especially when you like you said you got him like two K and sports games and stuff like that, Like you get him that, then he's going to I remember you said he's in the the question asking mode anyways, just in generally about.
Speaker 3: Like every second there's a new question.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well it's going to be expanded now to like NBA players, and it's going to be like because they give you history, because they have like commentators on there talking, and he's going to be able to play as some of these big stars and probably if he knows Donovan Mitchell, like, he'll probably like want to play with using his team on there and stuff. But that's just going to expand his knowledge and expand probably your guys's conversations as you go about. So be prepared to answer a lot of NBA questions.
Speaker 2: Did you ever get mad playing video games?
Speaker 5: Oh my god, Okay, absolutely, I've been playing Crash Bandicoot recently.
Speaker 2: Oh that's wait a second, that's like I'm not a gamer. Yes, but I'm a Crash Bandicoot guy.
Speaker 5: It's it's I forgot how tough that game was because they have like a version that they lea unleashed on the newer versions of PS on the PlayStation, and it's like updated graphics and stuff like that same storyline, but like it did. It's it brought back to when I used to play it. I spent an unhealthy amount of hours on probably Crash Bandicoot and Grand Theft Auto and I've broken several controllers.
Speaker 2: See, I I never really got the gaming bug as a kid. I had a PlayStation two and that was my last system that I had, and I played Madden not a whole lot though, really liked the college football game. Yeah, and I liked NBA Live, but like I wasn't a gamer like I, I got out of it and no longer played by the time people were getting online to play each other. So like I missed out on all the Halo Call of Duty lobbies.
Speaker 3: You ever heard of Gears of War of course?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And I remember a couple of my buddies would play Assassin's Creed. You know that one was good.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 2: I missed out on all that and I shouldn't they missed out on I just wasn't interested in it. But the two games I played that were not sports related crash Banded Cup Yes, tomb Raider Guy uh and when my dad got me my first PlayStation, the first one, the game it came with was a NASCAR game, So I played that, didn't love it, but it was all I had until I was able to get a different game. It's very challenging game. So the reason I ask if you get mad is because that's that's what his mama is going to be worried about about it. He'll play games on like my iPad or his tablet and grun his teeth and you know, hitting hitting things really hard, and you know it's not like he's raging. But like maybe we get there and you know his mom will be upset. But I'll have to tell or like it's pretty normal, because again I haven't experienced it, but I know a lot of people have not only broken controllers, but like televisions. You know, it's it's uh, yes, I very much have part of it, man, part of it. All right, quick break, we'll come back, keep this thing rolling along, get back into some basketball talk. As I mentioned, earlier. There is a I don't want to act like it's a big deal, but a storyline in tonight's game that I was unaware of that we can talk about next right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine.
Speaker 4: Day, Let's go to the LNN Federal Credit Union text line five oh two six five three zero seven ninety.
Speaker 2: That is the Ellen and Federal Credit Union text line. Members get more at Ellenn Federal Credit Union. You can learn more to open your account today at LNFCU dot com. This Tex says Nick, I've been watching Jalen Wethers. Really, Sean, I think you mean to say Sean typo Seine for Carolina, and it made me think of you. You were always his biggest fan. I mean I wasn't I like Jalen. I wouldn't say it was his biggest fan. But if I think I know what you're thinking of. So Jalen Withers, which by the way, he is playing good basketball for Carolina, kid from Charlotte obviously grew up a Carolina fan. Good for him. You know. I the guys who played for mac here that never got a chance to, you know, experience the postseason because of the pandemic. Like I feel for those guys and a lot of them that weren't exhausting their eligibility, they moved on and whatnot. And Jalen still being in college is crazy. But he's a fifth year guy at Carolina and its numbers aren't great, but he has been inserted back into the starting lineup for them. And he didn't have a great game last night against against Florida State, but as Carolina has started to play better and you know, win he has, he's he's up this production at nineteen against Syracuse, sixteen against Virginia.
Speaker 3: Eleven last night, So good for him.
Speaker 2: I felt like I was I felt as if I was not doing this in any way as a homer. I felt like I was doing something that seemed real, maybe obvious. So Jalen to this day, his best season as a college player was his first in twenty twenty one. He was a red shirt freshman. He was on the All ac Freshman team and he averaged ten points in seven point seven rebounds and was good, really good. I mean he had games that season where I mean I'm trying to I mean again, so long ago, but I mean some of the better players. In fact, I remember one game specifically, they played Virginia Tech, who at the time was one of the better teams in the ACC that year, played him at home, and they had a really good big that I believe transferred to Virginia Tech with Mike Young whenever he took the job there and left. I think it's Watford and Jalen had a monster game. Yeah, they played number nineteen Virginia Tech, which by the way, this was probably their last win against a ranked team since or until they beat was it Clemson that was ranked when they got him this year? Barely? I think Clemson. Yeah, So, I mean it's a long time ago, but it's not really surprising given you know, circumstances. But anyways, Jalen had twenty points in twenty nine minutes. Jalen had sixteen points and twelve rebounds and was four or four from the line, six of twelve from the field, and you know, that's probably the best of his career. But in that year he was good and he did it against I mean, they played Duke and actually beat Duke in three overtimes. Towards the end of the season and he had sixteen and nine and again that same Duke team if you remember, I mean Duke's always loaded.
Speaker 3: Who was the really good player for Duke that year?
Speaker 2: It was a guy who was well, he was good in college and it was a phenom high school guy, but he never ended up breaking through in the NBA. Might have been Wendell Moore junior maybe or remember, yeah, that's such a forgettable Duke team if I'm being honest, But anyways, I think the next season, in twenty twenty two, I on my preseason ACC media ballot, I voted Jalen first team All ACC. Again, he who was coming off of a good season with MAC as a red shirt freshman, averaged you know, double figures, had some big games. Like I felt like it was rather obvious that he would be a guy that would step up from his red shirt freshman season and be a All ACC caliber player. And again, he has not been as good at any point anywhere Louisville or North Carolina since that happened. So you know, I wouldn't say I was as big as fan, but I did. You know, I'm probably one of the only people that put him there, and clearly, you know, that didn't come true. That's not really what ended up happening, all right. So back to tonight's game Louisville. Currently, no update that I've seen yet on the spread. Nine and a half is still what we're looking at. Wow, according to DraftKings here, let me refresh. Sometimes it does the refresh live and then sometimes you have to actually hit the refresh button to see if there's if they're giving you an any updates. But yeah, as of right now, we're still looking at a nine and a half point spread for the Cards and I would pick him to cover, but I'm probably not going to bet on this, but I don't know. Man. I bet on him to cover against Florida State and they fell just short and that really irritated me, but more so me in the wager than it was about being mad at the team. But like, if they win by if they win by eight nine and they don't cover, not gonna be a big shocker at that point. I guess it'll kind of depend on how it looks. But if they win by like twenty five, nobody's gonna be shocked because they've done that many times, especially on the road. Now again, they could lose time if they don't come ready to play. I think we all know that. But again, this team has proven to be deserving of the benefit of the doubt that if they come out flat, not ready to play, looking like, you know, lazy and lethargic, that would be a real It'd be the first time, honestly. I mean even in the game they lost in January to Georgia Tech. I don't think that was because they know showed. I just think they didn't play one of their better games, miss free throws down the stretch, didn't execute great towards the end, and they got a really hot Georgia Tech team that parlayed that into a win against Clemson at their place the next game.
Speaker 3: So Louisville should be should.
Speaker 2: Be okay tonight. But Ben Burnham, he was a guy who played for Pat Kelsey at Charleston who has transferred, and I remember he was a decent name in the portal. I don't mean not like a big time guy, but he was somebody that when I was looking at the Charleston roster, and it didn't take long for folks close to Pat or I think it might have been Goodman who had it, but he knew that the two for sure that we're going to be coming with Pat to.
Speaker 3: Louisville would be would be the two that are that.
Speaker 2: Are playing now, Ray Smith and James Scott, who by the way, have been very very have been a big factor in the success that that Louisville has had. So Burnham is a guy who right now, not playing all doesn't doesn't start. In fact, let me see what his numbers are. He is. Why does it keep showing me I'm not I don't want to look at Virginia. I want to look at Virginia Tech. Okay, are we we may have? Okay, here we go. Burnham is playing twenty minutes a game, averaging seven points and shooting, let's see, good shooter forty four point six percent from three. So but it's you know, that's just that's not something I really even thought about as Pat Kelsey going up against a team that had players that he coached at Charleston, which again, this didn't get talked about a whole lot, and it wasn't something.
Speaker 3: Needed to be discussed.
Speaker 2: But by the time he got here to have to build a team from scratch, that was the first time for him, of course starting all over, but at Charleston when they were winning their league and winning nearly thirty games every year the last few years he was there, You're gonna get plucked in the portal, so he had to kind of adapt. So he was already kind of doing that more than most coaches, because if you had a really good job and you're having success, you'll still lose players to the portal, but it's probably guys that you expect to leave because they're not playing a lot. He was losing his best players and having to kind of retool. But yeah, this this this Virginia Tech team not very good and they're twelve and fifteen overall. They don't have any wins really we're speaking of. And I watched them play earlier this year just because it was a random game that I decided to bet on, uh and I had it right. I didn't end up winning my.
Speaker 3: Parlay, but this was a leg that I got right.
Speaker 2: And the only reason I remember it is just because it's not something you typically see and I, you know, I took a risk not thinking it would work out, and sure enough it did. I didn't win any money, so again I was a loser still. But Jacksonville they are currently one seventy six. Let's see, Actually, maybe they're not. And I'm talking about like jack you know, Jacksonville University. They're seventeen to twelve, one seventy six and the Ken Palm, so they're not bad for you know, a team of that caliber. They're eleven and six in their league and the Atlantic Sun. Maybe they went it and make the tournament, but they were I think thirteen point underdogs are roughly to Virginia Tech. And I watched that game because I bet Jacksonville money line. They beat them by double digits in Blacksburg, and that's when I knew that jackson That's when I knew Virginia Tech was really bad and they've continue to be really bad all year. So again, I think it's a big game because you got a lot to lose if you somehow lose. I don't think they're going to and I maybe am reaching a little bit and calling it a big game for this reason, But I just love watching this team play, and I'm gonna be excited at nine o'clock. The only complaint I'm going to have is that you know, they're likely going to keep me from going to bed at a decent time. Because I'm it's gonna be hard to even like they played SMU at nine o'clock in Dallas earlier this year, and I remember, I mean, the game was out of reach, but man, I was on the edge of my seat. How many records are gonna be broken? His rain gonna break Taekwan's record? Is Chucky gonna break Cisco's record? And both things happened, and it was just another reminder that this thing is crazy as far as how good this team is, especially considering how bad we used to be that it was tough to fall asleep. So that'll probably happen to night, one way or the other. But a win the night for louisvill would set a new program record for the largest turnaround from one season to the next. They've currently won thirteen more games than they did a year ago, and that that is the record. And man, this is a random but notable stat fact. If you are a Louisville hoops nerd like me, there was always there was always like, there's certain streaks out there as far as winning streaks that you have, and this is random and it's not really one like you brag about. But we owned Virginia Tech for a long time because prior to Louisville getting blown out in Blacksburg at the end of the season in Mike Pageese's last year, that might have been the season finale, but they got killed in that game. But prior to that, and of course loulov didn't beat them in the last couple of years because you know, Kenny Payne was here. But Louisville had won seventeen consecutive games against Virginia Tech dating back to I believe the Metro Conference, the early years of the ACC, and then there were a couple of times where Virginia Tech was actually good and Louisville would win like we just had their number for no real reason. It just played out that way, Like Buzz Williams had some good teams there. I remember Mac went in to beat them in Blacksburg when they were a top fifteen team. That was a really valuable resume win, you know, back when you could get those in the ACC. And then even the game I talked about a moment ago with Jalen that was a good Virginia Tech team and Louisville was able to knock him off. So that seventeen games streak was what's great while it lasted. Hopefully they can start a new streak tonight, right quick break. We probably won't get to this in the next segment because we don't have enough time, but man, I'm just now. I just now actually during the last break, finished the Pat forty article about the widespread college basketball It's not just college basketball, but obviously John say Porter, the guy who I think right now in the early stages of sports wagering being legal in most states, like he's the biggest example of a guy that really ruined his life by being stupid. But that whole operation was connected to college basketball. And Pat forty had a really good article about just the behind the scenes of how that happened. And it's not really that surprising when you think about it. But again, a lot of people making really stupid decisions that ruined their lives for the chance to maybe hit a parlay with the fellas. Look, I love it, it's a uphoric feeling. But I'd like to think that if I was, you know, in a different position in life, you know, like maybe playing in the NBA, maybe being a high level college basketball player, I could sacrifice gambling with the boys or you know, fixing games I mean, you should never do that. But anyways, we'll get to that at some point the five o'clock hour. Keep it, keep a lock right here, it's coffee and Company. Peel about Thorton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: I know we've talked about this before, but guys stigging around in college for a long long time, I mean, it makes sense if you could take advantage of it and get paid. I mean, you never know, by the way, everybody's situation is probably different. Nobody's the exact same, but depending upon what you want to do when basketball ends.
Speaker 3: For you or football ends for you.
Speaker 2: And I mentioned those two sports specifically because those are where you're making the most money. And an I unless you are a female athlete and you've got you know a type of situation with like you know, who's the girl for USC Paige Buker's at Yukon Juju Watkin. Yeah, and then of course obviously Kaitlyn Clark and Angel Reese that's a totally different situation. So anyways, you know, it makes I would do the same thing. I mean, because you could make money in college, maybe triple quadruple the amount of money to play one more year, then you would make in your first year at an entry level job, depending upon what you do. Again, everybody's different, everybody situation is different. But it makes sense. I mean, heck, you can. You can use that money to kind of, you know, maybe spend some more time figuring out what it is you want to do. Maybe invest it to where you don't necessarily have to go get a nine to five or a corporate job or whatever. You can invest money from nil and you know, start your own business, that kind of stuff. Like Armando Baycott. I don't think he's ever going to be an NBA guy, but he's in the G League, made a lot of money at UNC right. He apparently has purchased two hotels and like he's getting it. He's using his inn al money to get into the hotel business. So I really can't knock anybody for doing it. But I also can't really help myself at making fun of dudes who not are just really old, but dudes who are really old and act as if like they're top dog. That just to me, that irks me, you know, like Tyler shuck. He kind of seemed like a grandpa out here, but he was old, right, So, like, you know, I shouldn't be so cool, you know, I shouldn't make fun of guys who are are old, but I kind of can't help it when it comes to like the Chad Baker Mazaras of the world who plays for Auburn, who's twenty five years old and celebrates like a thirteen year old after he makes every shot, like he's the most hateable player in college basketball, and he's actually turned into the guy that you'll find plenty of people supporting him. Of that are Auburn fans, of course, but also a lot of Auburn fans are like, dude, stop, like you are clown. You look foolish, and you get again with the maturity, like you should be able to read the room more than anybody else, right, Like it's there's no issue, and again, you can do whatever you want. He's not not hurting anybody. I mean, he's got a lot of technicals and that's a bad look for his image, but you know, it's not like he's a terrible human being. But like if I was the old guy in college, I would act like it you know what I mean, Like, I feel like that that would be a you know, not that you need to feel insecure, but like you're asking to be made fun of for you know, like you're asking for somebody to send the picture of you wearing the link you wearing the LinkedIn jersey, like hey, or the the the meme of you know what's in SAA got to go pro? It goes pro in something other than sports or whatever.
Speaker 5: You athletes and everyone goes pro and somethings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so like you know, it's it's harmless. But Ali da Aarburn's yeah, Arjie Davis, Like again, he's gonna be one of the top three scores of all time.
Speaker 3: He already is in acc history.
Speaker 2: Dude played six years, yeah or five at least, So like it's not the same. So when I saw this, I was a little bit conflicted because again I don't blame these guys. These guys are taking advantage of and that I shouldn't even say taking advantage like they're I think some of these guys, I don't know if they're earning the exact amount of money because you know, I don't really know what the return is on the investment. That you make in them, but Auburn's got a bunch of old dudes wo are getting paid. Auburn's the best team in the country, but Auburn they there. So Auburn's average age of their starting lineup twenty three point two years old. The average age of Oklahoma City Thunders starting five twenty four point four. Like that's a wild thing to consider. Not as much when you, you know, consider that we are in a world where guys can the guys do stick around longer. A lot of guys enter college not eighteen. They're probably nineteen, not not all of them, but many of them. And then if you get an extra year you red shirt, you take advantage of that COVID year. Like that's how you got dudes playing six years. So that's how it happens. But like, I don't know that that makes me. It's for the first time I've ever looked at something that really, you know, references the age of players, and I think to myself, like, well, no, wonder they're so good, Like I don't know Ivalburn has a pro on their team, but they're old, they're tough, they're well coached by Bruce Pearl, and they're the best team in college basketball. So yeah, the starting lineup for the Thunder Shay Gilgess Alexander he's twenty six, Lou Dort he is twenty five, Jalen Williams twenty three, Ched Holmgren twenty two. And then the other one who's there?
Speaker 3: Other starter?
Speaker 2: Is it Cason Wallace who's Yeah, Cason Wallace's twenty one, So I mean, look that that like that, and then Jalen Williams is a guy who sometimes has started for them, the former Arkansas player. He's twenty two, So I mean it makes sense some other way. The Thunder are really good and really young, which is impressive, but man, I just have a feeling that's gonna get blown up.
Speaker 5: I saw a thing on ESPN the other day where they were talking sometime last week, but they were talking about should the Thunder, I mean, because they are probably the youngest team in the league and they're really really really forty.
Speaker 2: Six and eleven first in the division.
Speaker 5: They're really good, and they and they were saying, should they trade the next eight years of first round picks to go get to go get Cooper flag?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I saw somebody referencing that, and which is ridiculous to sound it out. Yeah, I mean, and Cooper Flag's really really good.
Speaker 5: And they already have a guy like they have chet Holm Green who basically plays that and who had just as much hype I think a few years ago coming out of high school, just as much as Cooper Flag did.
Speaker 2: Because when I think, I think Cooper was a little bit a little bit more. But no, you're right, he was the phenom. Yes, the guy, remember that. Yes, And what's crazy is that, like you could get a guy who's an MVP Shay should have won MVP last year and it's an MVP this year too, so like the awards not in his trophy case, but like you already had, Like why you blowing that up? I think last year them falling in the playoffs to Dallas, You know that that that I think this Thunder team not to nerd out on the NBA, but to me, this Thunder team like with their with their youth, I mean, they're gosh, there're eight games ahead of everybody else in the Western Conference, that's how good they are. And I just have a feeling that this is the year they break through and they make the finals. And if that's the case, why you're blowing that up like you're right there knocking on the door to get to win a title. I mean, they might win it this year. Honestly, the best two teams are the Celtics and the Thunder, and obviously the Celtics deserve the benefit of the doubt until they lose. But anyways, we got to get to a break.
Speaker 3: I'm a little late here.
Speaker 2: Sorry. We'll come back five o'clock hours next A lot more to get into before we wrap it up, so stick with us. It's game day Louisville Virginia Tech tonight, and we'll continue to discuss right here on Sports Talk seven ninety