Speaker 1: This is WBZ, Boston's news radio, redefining local news.
Speaker 2: Sonny in twenty one degrees in Boston. The real field temp seven degrees. It's eleven o'clock. Thanks for being with us. I'm Sherry Small. Let's get you caught up. A lot going on. Here's what's happening. We are now just one hour away from President Elecdonald Trump's inauguration for his second term as president, and this morning President Biden greeted mister Trump at the White House, saying, quote, welcome home. Now they've both arrived at the US Capitol where mister Trump will be sworn in as forty seventh president. We will take that swearing in ceremony live here on WBZ News Radio. Keep it with us, or you can take us anywhere on the go with the new iHeartRadio app. President Biden has issued pardons for doctor Anthony Fauci and retired General Mark Milly, along with the entire House MIDI that investigated the January sixth attack on the Capitol. Here's ABC's Karen Travers with more on the last minute executive action.
Speaker 3: Doctor Anthony Faunci tells ABC he accepts the pardon from President Biden. And is grateful for it, but he emphasized that he committed no crimes. Fauci did say to ABC the threats and possibility of prosecution quote creates immeasurable and intolerable distress on me and my family. Throughout his campaign, President elect Donald Trump vowed to exact retribution on his political enemies. Fauncy faced intense scrutiny and vitriol for the government's response to the COVID nineteen pandemic. Karen Traver's ABC News, the White House.
Speaker 2: And President LEC. Trump also hoping to get things done today. He's expected to sign a number of executive orders today, many of them aimed at changing America's immigration policies. A blanket of snow restsover Boston on this Martin Luther King Junior Day. The National Weather Service says that most of mainline massachusettot between four and six inches of snow. There's a lot of shoveling going on in Boston this morning. Wbz's Jay will Lett is out there surveying the scene.
Speaker 4: Bust out the snow brushes. It's a snow day in Boston without the canceled class thanks to the holiday.
Speaker 5: I expect the mark, but I think I was expecting like that.
Speaker 4: For snow cruise. It's touch and go on. Whether Mother Nature delivered on the forecast. Is this what you guys are expecting today at all?
Speaker 5: Kind of blew away? I think I don't know, not really much.
Speaker 4: They're shoveling and salting the sidewalks. Meantime, plows sit at every corner in the city, going great, and it's going great. It's not as much as expected, but just keep salting.
Speaker 5: And you know what I mean plowing with is a little snow and not much accumulation at all.
Speaker 4: Though the technique is to make periodic rounds so that every inch of asphalt is clear. In Boston. J Willett WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Now the four day WBC ACU weather forecast. All right, we can sum it up in two words, blustery cold. I was seeing some sunshine today in Boston, but still very cold. High's twenty seven degrees. Those real field temps they're going to hover mainly in the single digits today, So don't be fooled by that sunshine. If you're warm and inside looking out the window, it is really chilly out there tonight. It'll drop down to fourteen degrees. Real fields in the single digits and below zero, depending on where you are. Tuesday mainly cloudy, highs about nineteen to twenty three, not much different on Wednesday, highs once again around twenty decreasing cloudiness on Wednesday. Thursday, we'll see some partial sun and we'll warm all the way up to twenty eight degrees. It's twenty one right now in Boston. We are seeing the sun, but the real field temp is seven degrees at eleven o five. On this Monday, Quincy celebrated Martin Luther King Junior Day with a breakfast at the Terrell Room. It's WBCs and Sauceville.
Speaker 6: Norfolk County. Sheriff Patrick McDermott was shoveling snow when he got a call saying the person who was supposed to sing the national anthem was sick and couldn't make it. He stepped up, Oh see can you see.
Speaker 5: By the dolls lie?
Speaker 6: Then a prayer by Reverend Matt Thomas, inspired by MLK.
Speaker 5: May we never believe that violence is ever the solution. May we live in harmony with one another. May we challenge an oppressive system that marginalizes some while privileging others.
Speaker 6: Then the keynote speaker former Boston Police Commissioner Willie Gross, who says MLK understood as we all must that we're all God's children.
Speaker 1: You look around this room, We're going to see all God's children, all ethnicities. We all built this nation. We should all be treated the same. Equality, civil rights, human rights.
Speaker 6: In Quincy Suzanne so Osville, WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Embrace Boston held its third annual Embrace Honors MLK event last night to add Big Night Live. Governor morrahally among the hundreds of attendees.
Speaker 7: It's always such an important day and important weekend. I think this year especially, it's so important that people come together, enjoy and in support of all that is good, and so to be here tonight to recognize and help honor some fantastic people, couldn't have a better way to begin Mlkday.
Speaker 2: And among those honored for continuing the work of doctor Martin Luther King Junior and Coretta Scott King were former Governor Charlie Baker and First Lady Lauren Baker, and Governor Deval Patrick and First Lady Diane Patrick, among some others. Award winning journalist Ed Bell has passed away. Bell was the news director here at WBZ News Radio back in the seventies, overseeing groundbreaking stories like the segregation of Boston schools and other stories. Bell also later served as news director for WHDH radio and then the Associated Press in Boston. He also founded the weekly publication Marblehead. Current funeral arrangements have not yet been announced. At Bell was eighty four years old. You are now in the loop for news updates throughout the day. Listen to WBZ News Radio on the iHeartRadio app. I'm Sherry Small, WBZ, Boston's news radio