Speaker 1: He's nice side with Dan Ray. I'm WBSY Radio.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, Al Griffith. As we move into our nine o'clock hour here on a Friday night, it is the weekend of Saint Patrick's Day, High Holiday, High Holy Day, if you will, in certainly in New England. And if there's anything we like more than holidays, I think the only thing that I can think of that I like more than holidays are pets, animals, cats, and dogs, particularly dogs. But a guy who loves all animals, all animals, is my next guest. He's the president and CEO of the Animal Rescue League of Boston. I got that right, Doctor Edward Stina doctic scatia. How are you.
Speaker 3: I'm doing wonderful pleasure being here with you. Dan. Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 2: Thanks very much, and thanks for the time yesterday on the phone. So let's let's sort of lay this out. Normally when you're on the on with us here a representative, the anti or other of the of Animal Rescue League of Boston has done the phone. Were you were talking about some sort of an adoption special weekend, But we're we're talking legislation here tonight. Uh to to basically address some issues and problems that the Animal Rescue League of Boston has identified. So let's let's take it first. What's the problem that we have to fix and how are you and others proposing that we fix the problem?
Speaker 3: Thank you, Dan, that is a great way to start. So what we know is nearly half of Massachusetts residents for pet owners. We also know that on people struggle, pets struggle, and the Boston is the fourth most expensive need to live in the United States and Boston is also was ranked the least friendly pet city by a study by wallet Hut. We all also know that nationally nationally, fourteen percent of surrenders of pets to animal shelters due to housing related issues fourteen percent nationally. At the Animal Rescue League of Boston, we are above that we are seeing twenty nine percent of all the animals that are surrendered to us in twenty twenty four were surrendered due to housing related issues of their pet owners. This is an increase of ten percent from twenty twenty three and a twenty one percent increase of animals being surrendered due to pet housing reasons since twenty twenty two. And this is due because pet policies are extremely restrictive and regarding certain breeds or weights, and when pet owners are forced to make incredible difficult decisions regarding their pets, and this is what we've been finding. We also know we've been finding certain cases where people are leaving their pets tied up somewhere outside, very visible, wanting their pets to be found because are kind of in dire straits, no malicious intent. People just have to make a decision of what to do, and a lot of those decisions are based on housing related issues.
Speaker 2: If this situation is now exposing itself by the number of pets that you find not being or populating your shelters normally, I assumed there's an eb and to follow during the course of any given year, But are you finding that there are more pets available as a result of these problems that you've identified in pets shelters and it's more difficult to get pets obviously rehoused rehomed.
Speaker 3: Or finding that the number of animals being surrendered to us due to owners having how housing related issues have increased substantially over the last couple of years. And we also found that we are way over the national average of pets being surrendered to having related issues. And in Massachusetts only thirty nine percent of rental units accept dogs, and when you consider the number of rental units that accept dogs without any breed or weight restrictions, that number goes down to seven percent. So there's a real reason why folks that need to make some housing decisions and they have a dog in their lives, they have to make some really difficult decisions.
Speaker 2: How okay, you've identified the problems, You've identified what's going on. I know that there's some ancillary aspects of this which are not necessarily hugely contributing factors, but let's at least just mention them. There were a lot of people who decided to adopt a dog or adopt a cat at when they were living at home during COVID crisis, were working remotely. Now they're going back to work. I'm sure that has some impact. And I'm sure that the exodus of animals that seem to be found in the South for a whole bunch of reasons, perhaps meteorologically, culturally. I know that there are are dogs and cats brought up here from some of the Southern states on a fairly regular basis. So they can find adoptive homes here in New England, and I know that those are contributing factors. But the two pieces of legislation that the Animal Rescue League of Boston on is now focusing on to address each of these problems, as interrelated as these problems are.
Speaker 3: Do you mind if I go back to one thing you just said them? That's okay?
Speaker 2: Sure, sure, absolutely so.
Speaker 3: You mentioned people adopting pets during the pandemic, and that is one hundred percent true. And sometimes these pets work out great now that people are going back to work. Sometimes it's not the right fit. When somebody surrenders a pet to us at the Animal Rescue Leage of Boston, we ask them why they're surrendering their pet to us. Could we want to understand are there any trends or are there anything that we need to start thinking about. And so what we're really focused on is housing, because that is the trend that has been really increasing the animals being surrendered. So there are two bills, as you mentioned, that we're working on in the state legislature. One is an Act to maintain Stable Housing for Families with pets and the other one is to codify pet Family, elderly housing policies, and Ensure pet parody are cross housing authorities.
Speaker 2: So let's take them. Let's break them up as we can as separately as possible, because obviously both of them are important, but they both have a little bit of an overlap. But I'd like to just try to make it as clear as possible in the listener's minds. So if they are running into their local state rep. Or their local state Senator at the diner, as we say here in Boston over the weekend, they could say, hey, there's a couple of bills that we're interested in.
Speaker 3: Maybe this isn't Maybe this isn't the best weekend to do that at the diner.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, it's always when you when you finally see the state rep in the state senators, when they come out of higradation and they're walking in the neighborhood. Actually it's never you never missed that opportunity to go true. So the first to.
Speaker 3: Maintain Stable Housing yet the Act to Maintain Stable Housing for Families with Pets. The goal of this bill is to make housing more friendly for families with pets by increasing access to housing and reducing the cost of pet rent and insurance. What this bill will do is prohibit discrimination by landlords and condo associations based on a dog's breed, size, weight, and appearance. It will also limit the amount landlords can charge for pet rent. It will state that during a state of emergency, it will prohibit hotels from unreasonably refusing pets. And it will expand current pet programs and elderly housing authorities to apply for all state funded housing. So there's a variety of things this is doing, and the most important thing is really removing the restrictive pet policies based on a dog's weight or size and appearance.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let's break those down. Okay, you're going to have the real estate industry lobby against this bill. If you're going to try to in any way limit the amount that that theoretically a landlord might charge for the presence of a pet, that's going to make it a tougher sell at the state House. I'm sure you figured that out.
Speaker 3: We have. We have, and it's not limit, it's not telling it's not telling landlords they can't charge anything additional. But it's really making it equal if somebody has a pet. It's not discriminating or based on the breed or size of the dog, and that is what we're really focusing on now.
Speaker 2: I see, Okay, So okay, so if well, within that bill, they can't say, oh, if you had a chouah, we'll charge you an extra twenty dollars a month, but since you have a bull mastiff, we're going to charge you five hundred a month. Something is obviously that's part part of it, part of it.
Speaker 3: That's definitely part of it.
Speaker 2: Correct, okay, and what else give us? Let's break down the facets of that bill, so everybody's converse and what's the other points you made?
Speaker 3: So if you're a renter, landlords and insurance can't charge can't charge you more or out refuse renting to you based on your dog's breed, size, light, or appearance. If you're a homeowner, insurance companies can't charge you more or refuse or cancel coverage solely based on the breed of the dog in your home. And if you're a condo, association can't refuse to allow dogs on the basis of a breed of a dog or prohibit a dog that might increase insurance premiums. So it's all the christ factors.
Speaker 2: Our kindo was so now in Massachusetts able to have a no pet condo. I should probably know this, but I don't. If let's say there's a condo association of I don't know, you know, ten units, a relatively small group, and everybody in the group, for whatever reason, is not you know, doesn't feel about pets as you and I do. Can they say can they in effect? I mean, obviously they cannot say a Constitutionally, if let's say they are all of one race, they can't say no, one can sell to someone of a different race. We know that's unconstitutional, as it should be. But are condo associations able to agree amongst themselves, hey we will we will not have any dogs or cats in our unit?
Speaker 3: Is that I believe they can. I believe they can. I believe they can make the decision no pets entirely, okay, And that's what this bill is not addressing that.
Speaker 2: Right, No, I understand that. I think it's important to make to point that out. That that that's that's why I asked the question. So what you're saying is is that if pets are allowed, they can't say, okay, you can have a dog that weighs no more than twenty pounds or ten pounds. Okay, right, they can't. They can't if once they accept dogs or cats, they can't make restrictions or on the breeds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that is correct, one hundred. So let's let's let's address addressing.
Speaker 2: Let's address not the elephant in the room, doctor, but let's address.
Speaker 3: The pit bull, the lovable Yes, let's talk about Well.
Speaker 2: I think I think it's important because I think that that this is an issue that we need to address it, and my daughter would be very upset with me if we didn't address it.
Speaker 3: I know what type of hot dog your daughter hasn't shared with me yesterday. I'm a little afraid of that breed yesterday. Don't tell your daughter, and don't mention the breed name, because I don't want to get in trouble.
Speaker 2: No, I won't. Most of my my good listeners, my loyal listeners, know exactly what type of breed Mustard is, So we'll let's let that go. But anyway, so you feel you feel, and I know my daughter feels, although she does not have a pit bull, that that pit bulls have have been given they haven't earned, but they have been given a bad reputation.
Speaker 3: Tell us why I I agree with that. I agree that pippoles haven't given a bad reputation. And can I have a few facts about pit bulls that I think?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what you're the you're the witness. I'm just asking the questions. Go ahead.
Speaker 3: I don't like me to call the witness. I'm afraid of where this is going, but I accept no. Oh, I know, I know. A pit bull is the term pitfull an umbrella term for various broots. It includes the American tipule terrier, American bully, the Staffordshire bull terrier. So when somebody says pitbull, what do they really say? That's number one? And a lot of people are making assumptions based on what a dog looks like that it's a pit bull, and usually those are mixed breed dogs. We also know that environmental factors cause aggression, not a particular breed or type of dog biting. Biting is not breed specific, and it's often caused by any many other factors. And there's no scientific evidence that indicates one kind of dog is more likely to injure human than another. And there've been studies done on this and lastly, lastly, pitboll specific legislations do nothing to keep people safer. In fact, it can make things more dangerous because in areas where there are bands in place regarding pitbulls, people that own pitbulls tend to restrict their dog's outdoor time and socialization. And when you do that, that can act worse than or even great behavioral issues and caused that dog to be more harmful. So what we think we're doing is protecting people from a particular breed and am using their quotes can actually be doing more harm and causing something that we're trying to avoid.
Speaker 2: Okay, Now, I love to tell the story that many years ago when I had a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and I was in a bank one Dame's the cutest dog in the world, and there was an older woman who across the bank asked me, oh, what type of dog is that. In being a practical joker and just doing a little bit of a social experiment myself, I said, oh, he's a pit bull. As she was walking towards the dog, she stopped in her tracks and started to back away. Now, obviously she had no idea what a pitfull looked like because a cavalar King Chiles Spaniel, And I of course correct, I said, I'm only kidding. I'm only kidding. He's a cavalier King Chile Spaniel and come on over and he's a lovable dog. But that was proof to me that in the minds of some people, just the word pitbull was intimidating. So that is I think a big part of this. What are you going to do to try to make the public better understand that it is a question of nature versus nurture and that a pitfall that is brought up properly is no more dangerous than a capitali Ar King Charles Spaniel that would be brought up properly.
Speaker 3: What we do at the Amareesk League of Boston is we try not to identify breeds on the animals in our air because unless it's a pure bred dog, we could only make a guess based on what the dog looks like. And what we do at the Amoresk League of Boston is when somebody is interesting in adopting a dog, they may come in because their look online and they'll see a beautiful dog that they just must have. But when folks come in it's a conversation. We ask folks, why are they interested in that particular dog. Tell us what they're looking for in a dog, tell us about your family, tell us about your lifestyle. And then what we do is we learn as much as we possibly can from the dogs in our care. And sometimes it's an obvious match, but other times it's not because some dogs need a little bit more structure in their lives, and it's we try to pair up animals and we really don't. We don't really have that issue where people are coming in afraid of pitbulls. I think when people come into our doors and into one of our animal care and adoption centers, their hearts are open, their homes are open, and they're really there just to see what they can do and who's who who they can invite into their home.
Speaker 2: Okay, my guest is the CEO and the president of the Animal Rescue League of Boston. We've talked about one piece of legislation, and we're going to talk about the second piece of legislation. And I'm also going to invite people to call and join the conversation. I know that in this day and age of tariffs and trade wars and cease fires. These may not be the top issues on your mind, but it is. This is a very important conversation in my opinion, here in the context of Massachusetts and New England. And if you'd like to join us six one, seven two five four to ten thirty, any question that you might have for Doctor Edward Scatino, he's the president and CEO of the Animal Rescue League of Boston and he feels very strongly that there needs to be the playing field needs to be leveled here, not only for folks who maybe don't have the ability to buy a home with two acres of land and buy whatever dog they want, but people who are living again, either in apartments or in condominiums, rental units or whatever. Feel free give us a call six months seven two five four to ten thirty or six months seven nine three one ten thirty. I apologize for the technical interruption earlier this half hour. I promise I hope fingers crossed that it's not going to happen again. The for the Battles of the Night, it happens about once every three months periodically, and unfortunately for the role of the dice. Doctor Skatina Wo had interrupted us, but we'll pick up the pace and we'll talk about the other piece of legislation right after the news break at the bottom of the hour. Stay with us here on Nightside.
Speaker 1: You're on Night Side with Dan Ray on Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Sorry, we're talking about pets, and specifically pets who need a home and need to be adopted, and how we can make it easier for not only people to adopt pets, but to keep pets. With me is doctor Edward Scatino. He is the president and CEO of the Animal Rescue League of Boston, and we talked about a piece of legislation in the last half hour that, if passed, would make it more difficult for discrimination really to occur against pets based upon their size or their breed, or also insurance companies deciding that they're going to charge exorbitant rates for homeowners or landlords who do either want to have pets or want to allow pets. However, there's another issue, and that is that in the various senior housing in certain communities, there's no consistency as it appears to us, and I think you want to address that issue. So doctor Scatino tell us about what needs to be changed there.
Speaker 3: Sure, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Dan.
Speaker 3: So the second bill focusing focuses on pet family, elderly housing, and many housing authorities, as you mentioned, have different pet policies. Some of them include outright provision on pets, and in some housing for fac ladies and persons with disabilities, pets aren't allowed. So what this bill will do is help codify existing pet programs and elderly housing into law. It will expand this to all states funding housing for families or for people with disabilities. And it would prohibit restrictions on dog breeds, sizes, weight, and appearance. And it would also prohibit the requiring a decline of cats, which is now also illegal in Massachusetts. It would also prohibit the eviction slowly on the basis of owning a pet. It'll address pet rent and housing authorities and create an advisory group to assist with these regulations, which would include a human health and animal welfare experts. And I would like to mention one other thing of why if these two bills are so important to us at the Animal Rescue of Boston. We believe pets are part of the family, and we believe that and we're doing everything we can to keep pets and people together and trying to prevent animals from being surrendered to us. We do this for a variety of reasons, but the one thing I would like to share is the health benefits of pet ownership. All of us that have pets, regardless dogg or pet or anything else, we know why we have a pet, how it makes us feel. Studies have shown their mental health benefits for owning a pet. Reduces stress and anxiety, helps feelings of loneliness, creates a calming presence. It gives people a sense of purpose. With physical health benefits, pet ownership reduces the risks of cancers, and this is by establishing daily movement and healthy weight for folks that are out walking their dogs. It also shows that decreased level of cortisol by owning a pet that could help decrease blood pressure and increase cardiovaspar health. Owning a pet makes it healthier as you age. It helps provide central, social and emotional support for older adults, which reduces retroduction and stress and loneliness. Aging in place is so important. It reduces the rate of depression and really helps with long term dijesus like dementia by decreasing distressed loneliness and also helps with children in development, helps children with autism and attention deficit disorder by allowing kids to focus their attention, and also helps kids become calmer and have better social interactions. So keeping pets and people together, that's what the bills are trying to do. Create healthy people, healthy pets, healthy communities, and a healthy city. And that's why this is so important to us.
Speaker 2: Well, you represented really well and everything that you said. I was thinking about the time the times that I'm now a grandfather of two dogs I guess or whatever you want to call them, okay, who occasionally take up residence here. For a long time, I had a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, and I got to tell you, I've said to friends of mine and if anyone is out there thinking about a pet, as I got the calv from my daughter and my son, but primarily my daughter really wanted a dog, and she was about nine years old, eight or nine years old, and obviously what an eight or nine year old daughter wants, she gets, and I got her Charlie, the Cavalier King Charles, King Charles Spaniel, who in about you know, he was in about maybe three days. He became my best buddy. And you know, I was the one who would get up in the morning at two am if he had to go out or whatever. But they're so intelligent they sense your mood. In the case of the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. For the ten years that we were blessed to have him with us, my kids grew up and they became teenagers and young adults, and as they grew, you know, they they would look for, you know, dad, can I have a few bucks or whatever? And then who's can I have the keys to the car. And of course my wife would always give me to do lists. And Charlie the dog, he just wanted to hang with me. I mean, you know, watch a football game, or you know, lay of the couch, sit on the couch next to you and snuggle. And how can anyone hate that? I mean, I conditional love. And I don't know if there are people out there who are listening tonight who have never had a pet, but everyone at some point should and there should be no barrier to people of whatever age, of whatever circumstance or situation. And this is what these two pieces of legislation do. I don't know if before we finish tonight, and we're not close to finishing, we still have another twenty minutes or so. I don't know if these pieces of legislation have been given either names or bill numbers at this point, but if they have at the end, it would be great. Okay, good, we'll get those. In the meantime, we're going to get to some phone calls six months, seven, two, five, four, ten, thirty. If you want to back us up or support us and what we're saying here, obviously would appreciate it. If you have a question, a more technical question for doctor Edward Scatino, He's going to handle all the tough questions. Okay, so yes, thank you. Let's get to the phones. Not a problem. I've figured that you're more than capable of handling tough questions or easy question. I'll take the easy ones, you get the tough ones. Let's go to Jennifer problem see Okay, let's go to Jennifer and Brockton. Hi, Jennifer, welcome. You're on Night Side with Dan Ray and doctor Edward Scatino, the President and CEO of the Animal Rescue League of Boston.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 5: First of all, thank you, thank you. Thank you for all the work you've done and for the legislation that's that's on the table right now. This is all things that I am arr and do in my heart. And it's a relief tonight to not talk about politics and everything else and to talk about something that matters.
Speaker 2: You think you're relieved, Jennifer, how do you think I feel?
Speaker 3: I heard much that every night.
Speaker 5: You know, I'm like, boy, damn, let's need a break.
Speaker 2: But well, this is something, this is something hopefully we can all agree upon, So go ahead, Jennifer.
Speaker 5: Absolutely. So. We live in a managed apartment complex in Brockton, and you can imagine we have stray problems, sterial colony problems, loose dogs, you name it. But we I just want to say all the problems you're describing with the housing, it also affects the community, so you know, and we we volunteer. We offer support to our local shelters, the Animal Protection Center in Brockden, and what happens there's a lot of turnover here. There's about four hundred units and people come and people go and they just leave their cats, yeah, and or they like we also have restrictions. So when we first rented here. They basically said one cat only. We had two cats. But the leasing agent he basically said, no, I don't worry. As long as you don't have ten cats, don't worry. Just don't mention it. And so we brought the few cats in. Yeah, I was terrified if they find out, we're gonna you know, we're gonna have a big issue. And it's very stressful. In the meantime, we see people that literally they have enclosures outside on the balcony, they have cats that they don't permit in their home, or they just leave them. We've probably picked up about, you know, twelve cats over the years and brought them to the shelter. Kittens left behind, somebody took their cat and left the litteral kittens.
Speaker 3: Cats.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we had one cat that was abused that we had to bring in and she had to be put down. Unfortunately, another one that you know did. I mean, it just it's a problem bottom line.
Speaker 3: Bills that these bills. Unfortunately, it's not really focused on cats. It's really focused on dogs and bring and weight restrictions on dogs. Yeah, it really doesn't affect much with cats. But I want to share with you that we have an incredible program dealing with community cats that if you mentioned there's some story cats in your complex, go on our website Arlboston dot org. It's our contact information is there. We have a special program that we have folks that go out into communities. They can meet you in your complex. You can show them the colony of cats and we can work with you in your community to help bring those cats in to trap, new their release, and even adopt them out. So we have a program that can come to you, help you in your community, focus on the community cats that are outside, and we can help with with alleviating that problem over time. If you if you if you want.
Speaker 5: Help with that, absolutely some thank you. Sometimes we have a cat and you know, I have two daughters and we're all involved, and you know they can sometimes have a disease and so we don't know the cats and we end up Yeah, I would love that. Right now, we don't have so much trouble, but you know, things the summer's coming and you know things can change sly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, give us a call, go on our website, give us a call to our field service department and they'll be able to help you and set somebody up to come out and meet you and you can show them what's going on, and we can come up with a plan with you in your community to kind of make a difference and help the cats and help the community as well.
Speaker 5: That would be great. Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Can you ask question?
Speaker 5: Yeah, one question that's are in the news recently that there's like seven hundred I think seven hundred thousand stray cats in Massachusetts. Yes, and that with it Animal Rescue League that was behind an initiative to try to Is that that's living with the website. Yes, yes, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank.
Speaker 3: You for doing what you're doing.
Speaker 2: Also, thank you, thank you, Jennifer. Good night, Good night, Jennifer, have a happy San Patrick's day. You know that's interesting when they say seven hundred thousand straight cats, is that seven hundred thousand feral cats.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I didn't surprise you with us yesterday when we spoke. I wanted to say this for tonight. No, there are approximately seven hundred thousand stray cats in the state of Massachusetts, seventy thousand stray cats in this Boston alone. They're not called stray cats. We call them community cats. These are cats that live outdoors, either cats as Jennifer mentioned, that are either left behind friendly cats. These are cats that are feral cats that have had kittens outside and cats hide. You don't know, You don't see these cats unless you're like Jennifer and and you're and then there's a problem. And we have a program that helps work with communities and folks to trap, meuter, bring the cats into us and sometimes we're we're able to adapt out seventy five percent of those types of cats and the other twenty five percent we were turned back out to the field and then they just live the rest of their lives outside and have a wonderful life and everything's signed, but they're all stayed and needed when they go back out.
Speaker 2: All right. My guest is doctor Edward Scatino, President and CEO of the Animal Rescue League of Boston. Back with more phone calls, if you'd like to join us. I got a little bit of room six one seven, two, five, four ten thirty six, one seven, nine, three, ten thirty Coming right back on night Side.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan ray Line from the Window World night Side Studios on w b Z the news radio.
Speaker 2: Okay, back to the phones we go. My guest is doctor Edward Scatino. He is the president and CEO of the Animal Rescue League of Boston, and they've got a pieces, a couple of pieces of legislation, uh dealing with pets which would make it easier for people to own pets, to keep pets, UH, and for those pets to prosper in someone's home. Let me go to Chris and Havero. Chris, you are next on Nice Time with doctor Scatino, CEO and President of the Animal Rescue League of Boston.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, Chris, Good evening, Dan, I'm a first time caller.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll get you a run of a flause from my legal studio audience. They're standing right now, thank you.
Speaker 4: All right, Okay, Well, I have an interesting story to tell you about five years ago. In January, my husband knew I had wanted a dog for a while, so I ended up and I knew he knew I wanted a King Charles Cavalier, Okay, And so I did my research and everything, and in February I went and got my puppy. And I was seventy four years old then and had a lot of mobility issues. But my husband passed away the following month after I got aernie. Oh no, must he must have known. He had to have known that I needed the comfort because that was just the beginning of COVID. So even while he was in the hospital, I couldn't be with him. Okay, but I had this beautiful little girl and she has been my wonderful, wonderful friends. So I every time you say good night to Charlie, I enjoy it every single night. And you know, you never can tell what's going to happen. She's a dog, wonderful dog.
Speaker 2: As I say every night, all dogs, all pets, all cats go to have, all cats, all yes go to heaven.
Speaker 4: And I'm so glad as far as the bills that are being proposed that I mean, it's important that our seniors be able to have the pets that we want to be able to have. I'm in an over fifty five community and they've restricted the size of the pet, which I think is absolutely foolish. Look John, but that that is the way it is. But I want to thank you for listening to my story.
Speaker 2: Well, you have a state representative up there, Representative Gary Jerry g E r R y uh and uh you when you see her, just drop her note and tell her that that you and I both feel the same way. She's a really good state representative. She's been on the program. Uh, and I'm sure that she will support this piece of legislation.
Speaker 4: Okay, thank you very much.
Speaker 5: Okay, thanks very evening.
Speaker 2: First phone call. Looking forward to Chris's second phone call. Thanks Chris. Let's keep rolling here, going to go to Joyce in Mansfield. Joyce, you're next on Night Side with doctor Edward Scatino, the President CEO of the Animal Rescue League of Boston. Joyce, go right ahead.
Speaker 6: Yes, I'm very excited to talk to long story shirt. I got very heavy about four years into advocating for you animal So my husband and I when I see bills posted by you, we always call the representative and say please pass them through. And I'm really hoping that, you know, funding for people to keep animals will go through. Now. The animal that we adopted from the Denim shelter, we named him Smokey. He's a rabbit. We've all adopted man he was he was just put out with like about five of the rabbits. Somebody just dumped them. Unfortunately, we heard that the Animal Rescue came and got them now, of course I have no way of knowing was it because the people couldn't afford to take care of them, or they just didn't want the babies, But as an animal lover of all animals, that it obsessed me tremendously when these types of things.
Speaker 3: Happen, So I would think I would look at things a little bit differently. I think everybody struggles, and we never know the reason why somebody does something, so we always, we at the ORSK League, always assume they're trying to do the best they can with what they have, and that is why we're here, and that is why you're there. And all we do is bring in these animals, regardless of how they come to us, give them all the love and energy and vetinary care they need, and find them homes like yours, and really not questioning the reason why. And in fact, at the Animal Rescue League, we have so many programs and resources for folks that are struggling just to keep a low cost vetinary care, stay new their pet food, and supplies so many things. So we just encourage everybody to reach out to us and they need assistance and help, and and we just we just the world is crazy enough we just we just think everybody is doing the best they can with what they have, and if they can't and they need help, we're here to help them. However, that whatever that looks.
Speaker 2: Like, great, Carol. I'm running out of time here, Joyce, but I just wanted to say, gives gives smoking the rabbit a big pet for us tonight. Thanks for cal and I want to give him the doctor a little time to wrap it up. But thanks very much, and appreciate you taking the time tonight and adopting. Thank you Sara so much, thank you, thank you very much. Ye Joyce, doctor Scatino, thank you very much again. Let's if you have the numbers. Are the names of those bills, let's hear them, go.
Speaker 3: Right ahead, all right. The first bill the Act to Maintain Stable Housing for Families with Pets. It's H one five five nine or Senate Bill one zero two two H five five nine or Senate Bill zero one zero two two.
Speaker 2: Here's the first one is the first one, the stable housing was that one five five nine or five five nine one?
Speaker 3: I'm sorry one.
Speaker 2: House one five five nine, Senate one zero two two.
Speaker 3: In the second one, the second one is House one four seven six and it's just has a house number right now.
Speaker 2: Okay, and again that bill deals with basically friendly elderly housing. Okay, those are the bills, folks. Let's get on the phones and as I say, for Chris and Haverol, call your state representative Colleen Gary, who is really a good state rep. And I'm not sure I think she's got drink it. Maybe she doesn't have HAVERO, but give her a call either way. Uh, Doctor Skatino, thank you very much for what you do, and thank everyone at the Animal Rescue League of Boston. And if folks want to adopt you, you've got some great great pets available catch dogs, rabbits and other species.
Speaker 3: So thanks everything in between, everything in between.
Speaker 2: I have a great Saint Patrick's Day weekend. Thanks, doctor Skatino.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much, Dan, my pleasure, Thank you welcome.
Speaker 2: But by the way, this hour you can pull down and will be posted by Rob at nightside on demand, and you can circulate that to all of your supporters from the Animal Rescue League and if they missed this hour tonight, they can listen to it at their own leisure nightside undermand. All right, thanks so much. When we get back We're going to talk about the decision that came down in federal court yesterday on the Karen Rea trial. She will be retried on all three counts, I guess, beginning as early as April. Back on Nightside, right after the ten o'clock News