Speaker 1: Hi'stle Anthony, Little Anthony in the Imperials, and you're listening to the Doctor Sky Show.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, ladies and gentlemen to our show today. Always special guests here on our radio show as we now go back into the history of rock and roll. It's a real privilege and honor to welcome a very special man with a very special group of the nineteen fifties, Little Anthony in the Imperials, as we talk on the phone today with Little Anthony Gordian himself, the namesake of this very fascinating band of the nineteen fifties and sixties. And before we introduce our very special guest, just a brief read and history of Little Anthony and the Imperials. Little Anthey in the Imperials is an American rhythm and blues soul vocal group from New York City, first active in the nineteen fifties. Lead singer Jerome Anthony Little Anthony Gordian was noted for his high pitched falsetto voice, influenced by none other than Jimmy Scott. The other original members were Clarence Collins, the group founder, Ernest Wright, Nate Rogers, and Tracy Lord. The last two of whom were replaced by Sammy Strain. The group was one of the very few groups to maintain success on the rhythm and blues and pop charts throughout the nineteen sixties, and they were inducted into rightfully so, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on April ninth, two thousand and nine, twenty three years after the group's first year of eligibility for induction. And with that, it's a real privilege and honor to welcome to our radio show today none other than Little Anthony Gordine of Little Anthony in the Imperials. Thank you so much for joining us today as we talk about the history of rock and roll.
Speaker 3: Good afternoon, Hey, what's up?
Speaker 1: How you doing?
Speaker 2: I'm doing fine, and I'm just so excited here A big fan of the fifties. I grew up in New York City, and I want to hear a little bit about the story of how your career group, of course, started in New York City, and tell us a little bit about that, because well, I remember, being born in nineteen fifty six, I got the sound of many of the New York Street corner harmony groups.
Speaker 3: But how did you guys get started.
Speaker 1: That was the same way you did those kind of groups. I mean as a kid, I listened to all of them, the Dells, the Flamingos, the Orioles when I was like ten, nine, eleven years old. So I was influenced and actually lovestip. You was in the fifties, you know. Actually it was a tail end of the fifties that our life became. Even though I was with other groups, and I know a lot of interviewers loved to talk about something that happened with another group that I was with because it's me yes or whatever, but I'd never relate to it because I was a baby. I was fourteen, and you really can't use that fourteen year old as a as a measuring stick to what my career became. It just was the beginning of a kid singing like a lot of kids in those days. Actually, the most important part of that time and in the fifties late fifties was really fifty eight Wow, when we when we met, when we met George Goldner and and Richard, that was the beginning of a real career. And prior to that was just flowning around like everybody else, taking on the radio. So you know, but I don't. It's very difficult for me relate. And I know fans tend to be more deeper into that sort of thing, and you know, it's almost like fantasy football. They go deeper than the people that actually play the game. Sure it, we don't really care. Right in my mind, it's it's really when when that began in nineteen fifty eight.
Speaker 2: Great story here, I'm reading from one of the album jagged covers here, and I'm reading this my friend calling themselves the Chesters. They visited that, as Richard Barrett is reminiscing, you visited Richard Barrett on the twelfth floor of sixteen fifty Broadway in Manhattan. Tell us that story, because this is the story that we want to hear, the beginnings of this most amazing life legacy here in rock and roll history with little Anthony in the Imperials.
Speaker 1: Okay, we were a bunch of kids out of Brooklyn, out of fourteen project like all a bunch of thousands of the little groups kind of get a deal in those days. I was very fortunate to live in your see where the independent record companies were all located in sixteen fifty Broadway, and so it's easy to know where they were. And in those days you got to understand the technology did not exist. It exists today. You literally didn't have to do a demo and go and hey, listen to my demo. You actually walked in and asked for an audition. Can you imagine that? Yeah, they talked, all of them. Man, that's the way it was in those days. So we just happened to be fortunate enough. I wasn't me Class Collins and knew Richard Barrett isn't directly. I don't know where he met him and what, but he knew him, and he kept saying, Hey, I got this guy. It just came with my group and his name is Anthony Goudene, and man, I think you should listen to us because he's got a really, really good voice. And that's how that started. And then when we actually went in and I was that was let me see what was that? There was a winter of fifty eight. We walked into the Uh, Richard Barrett heard us had an audition, and then promptu audition and we sang the song that Ernest wrote or just the kinds of People in the world, and that was it. That was it.
Speaker 4: He called it.
Speaker 1: George Golden was the president of Going and then Records, and you know, she said, gott listen to this, and that was the beginning of my career. Even though prior to that, I'm just like everybody else, be hitting this, hitting this. You know, there was no real uh Korea at that point. I was just a kid on a high school, West High School of Brooklyn and just trying to make it like kids.
Speaker 3: In today, you better believe it.
Speaker 2: And you know something I was in that same well I shouldn't say the same error. But later on in the seventies, we used to be part of a track team and we'd run against the good folks at the Boys High School and they always won. I mean, that was a powerhouse school.
Speaker 1: Get two things. They were really at the top of the games track team, in the basketball.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, my friend, just an amazing story. My mother hails from the benson Hurst in that area and also Flatbush area in Brooklyn, so we have a lot in common. And that's why as we talk to you today, this is so fascinating. Again, I'm grateful for your time. As we reminisce about the history of rock and roll, the early days. Anthony Gordeen, Little Anthony Gordeen of Little Anthony in the Imperials. He's our special guest on our radio show today and all throughout this radio show folks, or in the extended version that you can hear on our website, we'll give you that information. At the end of the radio show, you can hear select pieces of music from the best of Little Anthony and the Imperials. You know, this is so fascinating as we talk with you today. You've been doing music and performing for how many years now? This is amazing.
Speaker 1: Sixty years.
Speaker 2: Wow, well, God, God bless that's an amazing time. I mean, I'm sixty years young and you've been doing this for as long as I've been on the planet. So that's a tribute.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: Actually I was fifteen years old and I was nineteen fifty six.
Speaker 3: That's incredible.
Speaker 1: Sixty years prior to that, even when I was fourteen, I was singing and then recording in very local stuff that was doing. You know, like every kid in those days wanted to be a star because they all those different records on radio, Doctor Jib you know, WWRL, Tommy Smalls for the Ball, you know, on and on and on and on and Alan Freed Wims Wins and every kid'll be saying, you wanted to be you if you could you imagine and mine? Well what if? Well if I can, I'm good enough to just saying. People say they like the way I sound, and then they like the guys that I'm singing with, you know what they sound?
Speaker 5: What if?
Speaker 1: And that's all show Busness is is what if?
Speaker 3: You better believe it.
Speaker 2: You know, it's amazing to hear these stories. And I want to remind our listeners as we go to the break. Each time we're going to be promoting an individual song from Little Anthony and the Imperials in which you may be hearing the entirety of from our website, but again excerpts here for the radio show today. And this is amazing because you know, I must say this from the bottom of my heart, sir, I really feel your music is absolutely beautiful. It brings back happy times and happy memories for me. And I'm sure that's the same with people. What not only here in America, but around the world too well.
Speaker 1: I'm sure that every generation had that. I'm sure the people in the forties and in the beginnings of like nineteen forty one thirty nine, before the World War Two and the big bands and Elephant Joe. Every everybody, every generation has that where we latched on into that particular sound that represents where we're living at that time. And so we were no different. We came up to the Patty Page area era. You know, how much is that dog get in the window? You know, you know Tony Bennett, you know, I go to rags to riches, and we came into that sort of it was sort of a row between World War two and every World War to the big bands kind of disappeared and Patty Page all these great you know singers and you know, and then it went into the fifties, which was sort of a the early fifties fifty fifty, fifty one fifty and had this really uh kind of milky white ray type down you know, the four aces, you know, three goardings of the fountain and this and that and that, and so that was it. Here comes in music that comes out of Nowhere, which was played being played at black stations, R and B Rhythm yes and both did lea who is that guy? You know? And Schuck Berry and the mingos and the slip Mingos and elder Roddalds, and people say, whoa.
Speaker 3: Whoa, you know, it's so incredible.
Speaker 2: We're coming up on the first break here in our radio show today, a very special guest here as we talk and reminisce with none other than our special guest, Little Anthony, Anthony Gordine of the namesake of that very famous still to this day, a most amazing time in rock and roll history, Little Anthony in the Imperials, and folks, as we continue to do our radio show, in this particular excerpt, we'd like to have you listen to in most of its entirety or its entirety, depending on where you're listening to this interview one of my favorite here from one of their albums. I'm on the outside looking in this, of course, going back to August of nineteen sixty four, our very special Anthony Gordine, Little Anthony of Little Anthony and the Imperials, joins us here on our radio show today and we're celebrating, of course there splendid time and continuing here throughout the whole time and space in rock and roll history.
Speaker 6: We'll be right there time on the outside looking him.
Speaker 7: I don't want to be I don't want to be back inside with you. You are with somebody new. Hell.
Speaker 8: I don't know what to do because I'm still in alone with.
Speaker 6: You on the outside looking him.
Speaker 5: I don't want to be I don't want to.
Speaker 9: Be Annie outside all alone.
Speaker 8: Well, I guessed I've had my daid. Can you let me go my way?
Speaker 6: Now it's me who has to pay.
Speaker 7: I never should have gone away.
Speaker 10: I've never shooting away like.
Speaker 7: I did with teas.
Speaker 11: Your I've thought you take me back, but down to my surprise, on the outside looking in, gotta.
Speaker 9: Right away, gotta right away, back to your.
Speaker 7: Once again. Won't you take me back again?
Speaker 6: I'll be waiting here then, on the outside looking in. Won't you take it go back again? I'll be waiting here to then, on the outside looking in, on the outside.
Speaker 7: How the wall be cut?
Speaker 2: And welcome back, ladies and gentlemen to our very special radio show today as we continue to celebrate the history of rock and roll on the line giving us this exclusive interview today, and we're grateful for his time. Little Anthony Anthony Gordene of the namesake of the band Little Anthony in the Imperials. He joins us throughout the entirety of our radio show reminiscing about old times, at present times and times.
Speaker 3: Of the future. In the Story of rock and Roll.
Speaker 2: I got to start off this way nineteen sixty four, and I'm reading this from one of the excerpts here in the jacket of one of the albums I have. The year of the British Invasion. It was a time when musicians who weren't from England had a lot of trouble getting airplay. Even Elvis Presy, the King of rock and roll, couldn't make it into the top ten. If you were an American act, you had to be in the top of your class to survive. And you did the Beach Boys, as you know, the Four Seasons, and yes, little Anthony in.
Speaker 1: The Imperial Wow. It was some of us that's held our own well, we didn't know what was happening. We're just doing It was on rush music coming out of the out of the England, and obviously it was led by the Beatles. And then you went from there because z and acts came out of there, man, you know, and and they all were trying to get that kind of whatever the Beatles were doing. And but on the other hand, the contemporary R and B or contemporary pop still hold us all if there was talent, and you know, dal Walk had them this mount of time, and you noticed Stan Applebaum, the Drifters, Lib and Stroller who wrote all those great songs Coasters, you know, they hunted it. They were just unique. Each act was so different from the other. That's a different in the day because it's very hard to differentiate between zoom because basically, if you listen, it's hard. You know, great you said that because I was just sitting in a car in my car on serious radio that I got in the car and I'm listening, and they have some really nice thingers today. See you sure she's a dell. Most of them are women.
Speaker 5: Yes, they are Sam Smith.
Speaker 1: Sam Smith. But and when we came up, it was similar, and they're sort of in another category because basically everything else starts to sound the same and it loses whatever it is that we had there was. There was only one Elvis, there was only one uh uh Bo Diddley. There was only they are one different. The founds were different. Their whole approach and and creativity was different. And we were living in and Arrow when everybody was excited about the new technology. Okay, oh you know new technology was forty five.
Speaker 5: Yeah, don'tnuts.
Speaker 1: Or those big gickets give those big old tapesmen, like he was amazing and everything cool Man colored TV was just coming out, you know, so it was excited. I didn't time Spot came on TV.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, And I remember this Anthony. I remember going on Saturdays with my parents down to the Woolworth. I was in New Jersey at the time, and they would be looking at me funny because I wanted to buy the latest forty five. And that was so amazing because you bought your forty five maybe it was what sixty nine cents or whatever, And then I.
Speaker 5: Think and then you went over to the counter where they had the little cafe there, and my mother and father would say, okay, you might as well get an egg cream.
Speaker 2: Unless you're not from New Jersey or New York. Most people don't even know what that is, right right, And I.
Speaker 1: Remember when when to seventy eight, people don't remember that sure, And and then they had to figure out, wait, how do you pay the forty five? So they got the little up to playing it. That's so cool, it's amarsible. It was analogue sound that can't be duplicated today. I've talked to some of the top performances. Ove all said, man, when you came up, man, it was we missed something, Yes, all of it. Of the technology today, it's it's almost like it's sanitized.
Speaker 3: You got that right.
Speaker 1: Listening to the those seventy eighth and albums and analog vo you know, you can even hear a horn sometimes it was it was it was leakage everywhere you got it.
Speaker 3: It was real, it was real, It was real. You know.
Speaker 2: I got to ask, on a serious note, the story of Jimmy Scott. I've read a little bit of his bio, but the importance of Jimmy Scott to you personally, on a more emotional level, talk about Jimmy Scott because he deserves a lot of recognition.
Speaker 1: Yes, his lovely wife, Mean Scott, I've been friend for years. In fact, we just talked to her on Facebook just today this morning.
Speaker 3: Awesome.
Speaker 1: So yeah, Jimmy. I knew Jimmy when I was king was I I think I've been my first bend in I was like nineteen or twenty, Yes, and you know I heard his songs on radio. Jimmy was an enigma he was this very tall guy with his fety giddy by voice. Yeah. And and at that time you're hearing Sinatra, you're hearing that Cold, you're hearing Tony Manette. You had all these powerful uh melt tomad, do you have any powerful voices? They delsa, the fmingos, you know, on and on and on and on and and every voice was powerful. But here comes this guy that's like almost like a woman's voice, not almost you if you didn't know the time out he was a guy, you.
Speaker 2: Thought he was a lady or somebody. Right, you never know, right. Nancy Wilson Dandy.
Speaker 1: Told me, she said, a whole career.
Speaker 3: Is built on Jimmy amazing.
Speaker 1: She told me, did you listen to their styles and simula we go whole notes, not a lot of my bottle, they'll hold it. And that's what he did. He made it famous and then he was a most honored respected singer from Miss Peers. Now he's the guy I've never had a gold ricket, never had any platinum, he never had easy Franklin not just said he was one of the prolistic voices of our time. Tony Bennett talked about him. Every major singer keyed in on this guy, and that was no different Frankie Lyman. If you listen to Frankie Lemon, who are you here?
Speaker 3: You know something you're doing and.
Speaker 1: Let me that's what I was listened to.
Speaker 3: You got that right.
Speaker 2: But let me say this, frank Frankie Lyman is another story that I'd like to talk about too. But you're so right. That voice of Frankie Lymon.
Speaker 3: You're right.
Speaker 2: Jimmy Scott very similar and all these greats that we're talking about today. But here's something that I learned too. And I know you know this. Lionel Hampton gave him the nickname Little Jimmy Scott.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that. That's quite interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I assume what I heard was this just a miss of what His voice was so light that he called him little even though he was It's the same with me. That name Little Anthony came back Alan free. But it wasn't because of my statue on Friday.
Speaker 3: Half Sure.
Speaker 1: It's just a voice are so light. If you didn't know what you think, there were little guys and that's how we got those names.
Speaker 2: Well, that's why we want to do these interviews because me, I like to talk about living history. And I've been saying this sincerely sir, you and your organization, your band, your group, everyone, and in this particular conversation today, we need to share this information. This is from me as the host. We need to pass along this torch so other generations understand all the great musicians of their time. And it's sad because I know and I'm not asking you this personally about Little Anthony Imperials, but so many young people grow up today with that, you know, cell phone in their hand, the smartphone. And maybe I don't know what you think, and that's why we have you here. Maybe many of them are forgetting about the great periods of music history. We need to presume.
Speaker 1: I don't think they're forgetting about it. Our schools are not teaching.
Speaker 3: There you go, that's it.
Speaker 1: And I can get on the whole subject this too. So I'm a charter school guy.
Speaker 3: Good for you. I love that.
Speaker 1: And and because we don't, there's no time you don't. When somebody said to forget one's history, that it is condemned to repeat it.
Speaker 3: You're exactly right.
Speaker 1: So when you don't know who where you came from, and I mean, it's so sad. I've noticed even back in the eighties where they were sampling records all the hip hop groups and the rappers, they didn't even know the people that they were sambling, but they knew something was good about it. So there were certain artists still out there was just differently different, and they held their own world, like like James Brown. Yes, and he's the most, he's the most. He the most. What do they call it with the artist? Uh? You know, uh, they use your your music and they put it in the record. I forgot what they call that, but anyway, Uh, they passed my mind right now. But anyway, that's what it is. They constantly listened that they don't know what the history of what was happening. Now, let's go back a little bit. When I was a kid, I was blessed to have a father was a jazz musician also and a saxo man. I played with Buddy Johnson and some of the top bands of those days in the forties and early fifties, so I was exposed to the to that error even though I was eight years old. Nine. I remember Illinoi's jacket and all the great uh you know, uh uh bird and all of them man and and and you know, it's like what an experience I all about that I knew because my dad jave this history this.
Speaker 3: And what was going on that's so important.
Speaker 1: To tell me. Right, So, even though I was very young, I had the great pleasure of Lucid and then blessed to have the villainy. I had made a lot of them as a kid, became a friend. I mean, it was amazing.
Speaker 2: Well, we want to hear about excumy. We want to hear about this, but we're coming up on that break again here on our radio show. And as we go to the break, leads and gentlemen, let's talk about another of the great singles here, going out of My Head. We're talking, of course, with Little Anthony Gordeen of Little Anthony in the Imperials rock and roll history here on our radio show today. Here it is, folks, Going out of My Head from October of nineteen sixty four, and we'll be back in just a few moments with our very special guest here. Throughout the entire hour, Little Anthony Gordeen of that very famous rock and roll group, as it talks about so many wonderful stories about love and music of the late nineteen fifties and sixties, Little Anthony and the Imperials.
Speaker 6: Well, I think I'm going out of my head.
Speaker 8: Yes, I think I'm going.
Speaker 7: Out of my head.
Speaker 12: Oh for you, Oh, I want you, want me.
Speaker 8: I need you so badly.
Speaker 7: I can't think I'm anything and everything.
Speaker 6: I'm going out of my head because I can't explain it to you.
Speaker 12: Is that I shave.
Speaker 6: For you.
Speaker 8: To I'll see each morning, But you just walk past me.
Speaker 7: You don't know that?
Speaker 10: How with you out of mynd my?
Speaker 13: Okay, oh my to you. There's no reason why.
Speaker 6: My being shy should keep us apart. And I think I'm going out of mind. Yes, I think I'm going out of my head.
Speaker 7: How my, oh my.
Speaker 2: You and welcome back to our show, Ladies and gentlemen, always great guests. Here today we have the privilege and honor of speaking with Little Anthony Anthony Gordeen of none other than Little Anthony in the Imperials, reminiscing about rock and roll history of the late nineteen fifties and sixties musical icons themselves inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame back in April of two thousand and nine, twenty three, years after the group's first year of eligibility for induction. Welcome back, mister Gordean. A privilege and honor to hear your voice and to share this with all those folks out there that love your music and your organization.
Speaker 3: Your group.
Speaker 2: Let's talk a little bit about this particular time period. There's one man that I wanted to highlight here and he gets so much coverage, some of it maybe not so wonderful, and that is the story of Alan Freed. I'm enamored by this guy. Being a broadcaster myself, talk about Alan Freed, No, I could do it.
Speaker 1: Briefly, I met Alan freedland I was really young. I was fourteen years old and I and I was with a local group that didn't in a lot. It was called a Ducran and Miguelttle story short, we ended up on a record couple of called Royal Roofs, which is Teddy Reeg, who was one of the managers of Alan Freed. And so they told us, hey, he's gonna have a big show with the New York Paramount. Was that nineteen fifty five? Yeah, fourteen, Yeah, he was having a big show. Because I was in high school, I had to get Smith to do the show for a week at the New York Paramou and had everybody on there, you know, like Laman, teenagers, the Platters.
Speaker 5: On and on and on and on, yes, sir, and.
Speaker 1: So that we got to open the show, you know. And that was the first time that I met him. And he didn't forget. He didn't forget, you know, he would stand by the wings and watch. And also the unique thing about this that I met another man by the name of Tevye Donzell, who became a prolific in my life a few years later because he was with a group called the Chuckles, the Three Chuckles of that and yeah, and he was his dresser was next to mine, and that was it. He said to me one day, says, kid, you know, one of these days we would have worked together. Who knew that was? It was a prophecy, because ten years later, seven years later, whatever it was, in nineteen sixty four, we ended up hooking up again. And that's another story. I have a book out called My Journey, My Destiny and then they just won't detailed about it. If anybody wants to check it out and can get on Amazon or whatever is yeah, and it tell you more in depth, because I know we don't have the time to get deep, you know, and to work. But that's at the same time I met these two people, and a lot of people ask me, well, how did you get that name? Little Afty? It was It was our great because Alan found out that, oh, you used to be that kid. And they opened the show in the DuPont you know, back in the wind when when you know, nineteen fifty five, ninety eight, he he, he, there was somebody one of the record promoters came into his office to try to promote our record tairs and my pillow, and he says, man, that kid's voice is sure. I mean, she's that girl's voice.
Speaker 5: Kids.
Speaker 1: She's got a great book.
Speaker 3: Said she. I gotta laugh today. It's so cool.
Speaker 1: He said, well, what in day Anthony bad? He says, he starts a little Anthony. Later on, when I saw him and did a show with him, he said, yeah, figured it out who he was. You were the kid who started with the dust.
Speaker 2: You know, that's an amazing story. But I got to go back to this whole thing of the DuPonts. Most people don't know this, but the namesake of DuPont you can figure it out if you think long enough. You named it after what the chemical company? Tell me how that came about?
Speaker 1: I do anything. I was inducted, reducted William doy the name we got out it right. I don't know why where he got it, but yes, he did get it from the chemical company DuPonts. I'm sure he was riding along or walking along show named Yes.
Speaker 2: You know, I'd be remiss if I didn't ask about Tears on my below the Imperial's first million selling hit. That's incredible. I mean, a million selling hit in any time period, but we're going back into the late fifties and sixties. That's incredible. I mean that must have been done. A big smile on your face.
Speaker 6: You know what.
Speaker 4: The most incredible thing is what's hit ahover me and just because of people roll over the empasize and solo me and we're the only.
Speaker 1: Group that did that.
Speaker 3: That's incredible.
Speaker 1: That is the rock Wall of fame. It was our body of work that they put together and figured, my gosh, we never run at Grammy. They weren't the Grammys where we.
Speaker 3: Were coming up, No such thing, right, so.
Speaker 1: They we would just passed by with us. Take this gray area. But they realized people like Paul Shape for Paul Simon, Billy Joel, all the catch I knew on the committee and they said, this is this is stupid. The stupid is I'm figuring. We can't even think about Billy Joel said, I was inspired him when he was a high school to really, I want to be like you, but I want to sound like you.
Speaker 3: Now what an honor is that? Wow? The powerhouse of Billy Joel and.
Speaker 1: Look at you quite a long time. In fact, I was at his concert here and a half ago in New York. But uh, you know he induced me actually saying this is my pillow and Madison Square got nineteen thousand people.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness. You know I remember this. I remember something too, and it helped me on this. Back in the seventies, I'd go live in New Jersey, would take the bus over to Madison Square Garden. Who didn't you know or if you lived there you went there by subway or bus. And I remember going in the seventies to Richard Nader's rock and roll revivals in Madison Square Garden.
Speaker 1: They called it revivals in.
Speaker 2: Yes, no, And let me say this, I know the sensitivity of the term doop and I and I wasn't going to bring that name into the conversation, but no, I just wanted to say how wonderful it was, Anthony. When we would go there as kids in high school. We would sit there and see the likes of Chuck Berry and Bo Didley on stage, and who knows, maybe I.
Speaker 1: Saw you too, everybody. And it was called those days a revival.
Speaker 3: You bet that was amazing.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and it was just a bad era and it was a big success. And Richard Nada was the pop dog. He was the first to really deal with that, you know, and figure, I'm doing his revivals, so he really he really started that and it was hugely successful.
Speaker 3: You know, I watched it.
Speaker 2: I was watching television about three months ago on PBS and it's latest Saturday Night and I'm turning on and I see this amazing bunch of fifties and sixties rock and roll type acts and there you are on stage. And I said to myself, you know what, I'm going to give this a try. I'm going to see if I'm lucky and see if I can get in touch with Anthony Gordine, and you know what, we're doing. It my friend, and it was just amazing to watch these concerts. So you're going strong, five by five all over the place. I mean, your your schedules never end. You just keep going and going and going. And that's great.
Speaker 1: Well man, you know, it's just like I said. People have asked me, man, how do you how do you What do you do for your voice? What do you do?
Speaker 10: Well?
Speaker 1: Obviously take care of it, you know what I tell people, it's not my voice. It's it's my father, God's voice. He catered to me.
Speaker 3: And it's a beautiful thing. That really is.
Speaker 1: Because it's seventy five years old. I blow my mind. I hit a note, it's supposed to sound like that. It's seventy five.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 1: So it's not natural, it's supernatural.
Speaker 2: It is it. It's a special talent. It's it's something that you're right. It's coming from the divine And I believe very strongly on what you're saying. I'm not just mincing words.
Speaker 1: It has to I wouldn't have that.
Speaker 3: It has to be.
Speaker 1: I'm living that truth. I mean living it. So I was in fact the other day I like to power walk, you know, because it builds up my lung power. Idea and then I do vocalizations while I'm really running. Try that one downtime much for you, but that's not why I do it. And and sometimes I'll hit a note and go, Nick, do that.
Speaker 2: Well, that's amazing that you maintain that smoke strength. I mean, there are many performers and I'm not kissing up here, Anthony. I'm just being very honest. There are many performers that obviously have retired, you know, they've hung up their coat and they you know, they go on the laurels of the great things they've done in the past, but you continue, the group continues, and I'm thinking I spoke with your son, and you know, I can't guarantee anything. I'm not that important. I just try to do a good show and people say they enjoy it. It'd be awesome to have you come out here to the folks in Arizona, and I know the perfect place to do it. I mean, we could talk about that off air sometime because you're popular wherever you guys go, and it's timeless.
Speaker 3: So there you go, right.
Speaker 1: I think I used to be in a Zona a lot esis the eighties. In the eighties or some reads, the kind of dried up, but show like that coceptive generations. You got different pace music and that's expected, Like I'm going to where am I going? Oh? I'll be in Angling for a week. So we're doing concerts there and sols that were not hit here, but songs that we big hits in Europe, like better use your head is gonna fix you now? And you tell that the people today, they go, WHOA, what so huge in Europe?
Speaker 3: That's amazing it.
Speaker 1: So I get these calls sometime and I'm off and running the Europe and I'm amazed sometimes how they how they reveal that. And I'm going in America knowing, would you remember what it was?
Speaker 3: You got that? Right?
Speaker 2: We're coming up out another break here, and I hate to catch you short again, brother. One more segment we have with a very very special guest here, Anthony Gorden, otherwise known as Little Anthony of Little Anthony in the Imperials. As we go out with this particular segment, we go back in the time tunnel and time capsule and hear a rendition of hurt so bad? Can you imagine?
Speaker 3: Folks?
Speaker 2: You were heard in love and all of a sudden, now you're wondering what the heck's going to happen to me? These songs are powerful. You're listening to me. Steve Kate's here on a very special edition of our radio show today, reminiscing about many of the greats of the rock and roll era, and today that honor is bestowed upon us by Little Anthony and the Imperials. We'll be right back after these short but important commercial announcements that keep our radio show going. We'll be right back, and thank you for joining us.
Speaker 3: I know you.
Speaker 7: Don't know what I'm going through.
Speaker 11: Standing here looking at you, let me tell.
Speaker 9: You that it's all bad. It makes me feels lot. It makes me so bad to see.
Speaker 7: You work.
Speaker 12: Like needles and pins.
Speaker 3: People say.
Speaker 6: I've been making our own cave. She's in loud.
Speaker 7: Don't stand in your way. Let me take you the bad bad.
Speaker 9: It makes me feel so sad.
Speaker 7: It's called it so bad.
Speaker 6: If you why don't you can let me make it up to you.
Speaker 14: I'll do anything you want me to.
Speaker 6: You love me before, please love me again.
Speaker 7: I can't let you go back.
Speaker 10: You love me.
Speaker 7: Go back?
Speaker 10: It's all bad, don't it's bad?
Speaker 7: Okay?
Speaker 2: And welcome back to that has done them into this excite radio show that you tell us you like so much. Our special show today talks about the history of rock and roll with none other than the legend himself, Little Anthony Gordeen, the namesake of Little Anthony and the Imperials. He's been kind enough to join us throughout this entire hour reminiscing about the past and also talking about the future. And again, this organization, this group has been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame back on April fourth of two thousand and nine, a great honor, mister Gordean, Welcome back. We were talking a little bit about so many of the stories that you came across in this life journey in the music world. But this is fascinating. Talk a little bit more about this particular time and in music history, because we wanted to talk before I mentioned a little bit about frank talk about him. I always thought Frankie Lymon was an excellent performer, as I'm sure you do too well.
Speaker 1: He was. He was one of the greats of his time. He was like Jackie Wilson. You know, those kind of people come along every hundred years, it seems, Sammy Davis, that kind of thing and that's where he was. Unfortunately, Frankie. I became his friend when I went when I performed for Alan Fie, when I was at the DuPont and Drankie Lammon and the Teenager on the same show at the Bromin and so I got to know him. Then that was the beginning of our relationship and then we became best a friend. At the same time we're both performing and making records. And he was a unique cat. But he had a lot of problems. Yes, you know, he got caught up in the drug drug world, which all of us did, but in this case it was picking his life. I mean, the story about him is unbelievable because this guy was really absolutely outstanding, saying him performing and I lived in a lot just watching Frankie and it is to be his friend and hanging out and going to dinner and know all this stuff was it was, it was. It was a real blessing to me. And in fact, when he I got that in the book when I was in Chicago before me and the Regal Theater in Chicago, and I got a call my wife's Oh, I was coming home. And when I got to the airport, my wife picked me up. She had that look put her face if something's wrong, And I'm thinking that, what is the kid's okay? First she says, I got something to tell you. I said, what, thank you? That with the city wall. He died the night before and I did that. Uh, he called me to meet him at a place. We always liked to go over the fifty fourth Street and Broadway. It would always hooked up and be over there, and and he was I was supposed to be in that day.
Speaker 3: Sad.
Speaker 2: See how precious life is. And you know, I don't want to get dramatic here, but I thought this quote appropriate a good friend of mine. I didn't create this, nor do I take credit for it, but people describe that this friend of mine describes life as this anthony, life is but a short dance in the sun. And I thought that's a very appropriate quote, don't you, Because it talks about how life is so precious and how.
Speaker 3: Short it is.
Speaker 2: And in this case, when you're talking about the sad death and the untimely passing of Frankie Lyman and others, we all recognize that.
Speaker 1: I've been touched. I have a believer, and I know who my redeemer is. I know who that that's clear to me.
Speaker 3: That's beautiful.
Speaker 1: It doesn't dance, it does not end, It just goes for moon station the other week. These were not meant to die. But we all know about that and all of that stuff, and we're just the said list of that. Like you see a cat a cat and a dog's a dog. We have the nature of the first man a work deserves to do it and so bad of life and death. Now whole world is moaning for that day when it when it's three days and it's turnal life. But that has been turned over for us. Whether you believe it or not, it doesn't change the fact that it happened. And I say this without any trepidation. That looks that when Jesus Christ gave his life, he cadence in this earth. God was here to get the only thing that can pay for what we did, so that we can look there. I don't you know what, I'll always say this every day I decor the morment. My best years are head to be. You know's going to happen. So someday I'm going to leave this earth. I need what kind of legacy would I leave? Well, I hope it's something that can people can look back on. But you can't stay here now because we're under that curse. We gotta go. But it's a good news. We can live. It's eternal. You don't you leave the body. The body is not going to Nurse Twanty have to go back to grave. But you yourself, the real person that's spirited you is a lie. It will stay left. You could be in one place or another.
Speaker 2: Well, I love that you know, you've said so much in two and a half minutes here. And I mean this, my friend, that you know. I'm a spiritual beating too, and I'm a believer in Jesus Christ is my savior. And I say this with no trepidation. Nowadays, and I don't mean to get political. It seems like many of these traditions are being sequestered or stepped on. And that's that that's shame.
Speaker 1: It was fore told that these days would come, Yes, sir and and so, But that's okay because you know the action from the bodies to be the president of the Lord. Now, that's for believers, but also for the non believe. It says in the Bible says it's a point of demand that died once and then the judgment, I don't want that part.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 1: So in other words, thanks to God, man, we'll all here.
Speaker 5: You're here, that's right.
Speaker 1: We're talking into good stuff. Time, beautiful. It's beautiful, all the bad, the good, whatever. It is wonderful gift to be able to have this physical body. Yeah, and we know, I know my day some days I think about one when I was seventy five. I've been as gracious you know, you know, and I fell so many people, man, Frid it's incredible of all the people that are gone that I came up with Ruth Brown, this one, that one, and it goes on and on and all. Lily got hundreds of seams right not here anymore.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: It's amazing the way you put it. And I totally agree with you, my friend. And in the short four minutes that we have with you, I wanted to try to cram in as many reminiscing stories as possible. You and your entire group are what the first musical group to actually play the prestigious Copa Cabana nightclub.
Speaker 3: Talk about that. That's amazing, the first, the.
Speaker 1: First city group of that area. Yes, before TEPS A second people second, Yes, Uh, yeah, you know, it's kind of complicated. Like I said, you get the book, you can read it. It's in the book. It's more get more detailed. But yeah, we were we were the first to go in and mister Juist, who's a trip, that's a book in itself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's amazing, my friend.
Speaker 1: But yeah, and many things we did when Weak in the Center with the Well in the Philarmonic Orchestra. I mean, I've had so many wonderful things over the years, and I look back and I have no regrets. Regret was if I could go back and do it again, I would do it.
Speaker 2: I'd like to be there. I'd like to be there with you as the listeners. Because here's a couple of cool things. You made two appearances on the Ed Sullivan Show That's Big Time. You're also on Soul Train, Dick Clark's American Bandstand, the midnight special Tonight's show. Wow, it keeps going, Anthony, It's just incredible.
Speaker 1: And that's what the reason is that. Uh, Paul Seiban told me saying that when we started looking at this, we did your body of work that got you the first group. They didn't have any Grammy didn't have anything. It was inducted into the Rock Hall day because of your body of work. Yes, it's una.
Speaker 2: It's a beautiful thing. It's a beautiful thing. So let's talk about the future here. We're talking about you not stopping great, you know, keep going, keep going. So you have concerts. People just go to your website and they're going to see where you're performing. Not only here, but you're talking about going to England. So this is a worldwide sensation, as rightfully it should be. So describe some of the things coming up for a little Anthony Gardian in the next year or so.
Speaker 1: Total, we're all over the place and I'm really going that's gonna be rough in October, yeah, you know for me, and then I'll go off and then what I'm doing in England is just me, little aftery. I do things a little affey, I do things lit pissed. But people don't understand. This is not what they think. This adopted perils fifty years ago. That do something said the eight years ago. That's no, people believe they die brand. We became a brand like that, the name the Imperials a little and the it of the brand. So we had many, many, many many members and there's only one cat survive other than me, and that's Ernest right with the guys with us, But all the rest there's been many many people that have some and became an imperial.
Speaker 2: It's amazing, what an amazing, what an amazing journey that you've given us here, my friend and I and I want to thank you here. We got about a minute and a half here before the top of the hour here, but I want to thank you so much, and I want to stay in touch with you. I mean, I appreciate your son Tony giving me the introduction to this and you know, folks, I want to say this to the audience, Anthony. It's not so simple, you know. You just don't pick the phone up and look up in the phone directory or the computer. I want to call a little anthei.
Speaker 5: It is.
Speaker 1: My wife told me today, she's a she's you got thirty messages on your Facebook people back in May.
Speaker 2: See, Well you're a popular guy, and you know how to deal with today.
Speaker 1: I say, oh, my guys are gonna answer some of these people, you know, and but took out today. It was different than it was years ago.
Speaker 2: You know, Well, thank you for your time. I mean, I hate to cut it short, but here's what we have to tell the audience. First of all, God bless you and your family. Thank you for giving us the music strong for these years, and thank you for being a believer. And your story of life is a great inspiration. I'd like to have you back sometime if that's good. But stay on the line, I do, sir, I do, sir. Stay on the line with us as we go to the heartbreak. But I wanted to let the audience we're going to go out with this song, ladies and gentlemen, probably one of the most prolific songs of Little Anthony and the Imperials. Of course, would be remiss if we didn't play Tears on my pillow. Thank you so much to Little Anthony. That is Anthony Gordene of an incredible rock and roll legend and a band. Little Anthony and the Imperials once again inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame back in April of two thousand and nine. He continues strong and has some amazing stories. Thank you for being with us today, Little Anthony Gordine of Little Anthony and the IMPERI.
Speaker 6: You don't remember me, but I remember you.
Speaker 3: It was not so long.
Speaker 7: Ago you wrote my heart.
Speaker 12: Into tears on my.
Speaker 6: Pain in my heart, call by you. If we could start an I wouldn't hesitate. I'd sadly take you back.
Speaker 14: And tempt the hand of faith tears on my pillow, pain in my heart, Gobe.
Speaker 7: Love is not a gadget. Love is not at.
Speaker 13: All when you find the one you loved to fill your heart with joy.
Speaker 6: If we could start a no, I wouldn't hesitake.
Speaker 7: I'd gladly take you back and.
Speaker 14: Tell the hand of faith DearS on my pillow, pain in my heart, for fi.
Speaker 10: Who for fire,