Speaker 1: Okay, Round two. Name something that's not boring, laundry, a book club, computer solitaire.
Speaker 2: Huh oh, Sorry, we were looking for Chumba Casino.
Speaker 1: Chum, that's right.
Speaker 2: Chumbucasino dot com as over one hundred casino style games. Join today and play for free for your chance to redeem some serious prizes. Chump chumbacasino dot com, novercessor by.
Speaker 1: Lot ete plus ters conditions of the bus website retails.
Speaker 3: Hey guys, it is Ryan. I'm not sure if you know this about me, but I'm a bit of a fun fanatic one.
Speaker 1: I can I like to work, but I like fun too. It's a thing.
Speaker 3: And now the truth is out there, I can tell you about my favorite place to have fun, Chumba Casino. They have hundreds of social casino style games to choose from, with new.
Speaker 1: Games released each week.
Speaker 3: You can play for free anytime, anywhere, and each day brings a new chance to collect daily bonuses.
Speaker 1: So join me and the fun.
Speaker 3: Sign up now at chumbacasino dot com.
Speaker 1: No verds necessary, d wherever by lost terms of eighteen plus.
Speaker 3: Hello, it is Ryan and I was on a flight the other day playing one of my favorite social spin slot games on chumbacasino dot com. I looked over at the person sitting next to me, and you know what they were doing. They were also playing Chumba Casino. Coincidence, I think not everybody's loving having fun with it. Chumba Casino's home to hundreds at casino style games. You can play for free anytime, anywhere, even at thirty thousand feet. So sign up now at Chumbuckcasino dot com to claim you're free.
Speaker 1: Welcome bonus.
Speaker 3: That's Chumbu Casino dot com and live the Chumba Lane.
Speaker 2: Noiber necessary, dripod wherever if I lost the terms conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 1: Okay brown two, name something that's not boring, laundry, a book club, computer solitaire. Huh oh, sorry, we were looking for Chumbu Casino.
Speaker 4: Chum.
Speaker 2: That's right, Chumbucasino dot com as over one hundred casino style games joined today and playing for free for your chance to redeem some serious prizes. Chump chumbucasino dot com nober scessary please then whatever.
Speaker 5: You are now listening to True Murder, the most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them. Gasey Bundy Dahmer The Nightstalker DTK. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host, journalist and author Dan Zufanski.
Speaker 4: Good Evening. This episode of True Murder is brought to you by nature Box. Nature Box ships tasty and guilt free snacks right to your door with over one hundred flavors to choose from, like asiago and cheddar, cheese crisps, pistachio, power clusters and Big Island pineapple. You'll never get bored of snacking ever again. Try a nature Box for free by going to nature box dot com slash true Murder. That's nature box dot com slash true Murder. Susan Berman grew up in Las Vegas luxury as the daughter of Davy Berman, casino mogul and notorious mafia leader. After her father died, she learned about his mob connections. Susan then dedicated her life to learning about Vegas and its underworld chiefs. Her life took a bizarre turn in nineteen eighty two when Kathy Durst, the wife of her good friend Robert Durst, mysteriously disappeared. Durst was a prime suspect, but the case was never solved. After the Kathy Durst case was reopened, the DA was about to question Susan Berman about what she knew regarding a phone call Kathy supposedly made to her medical school dean saying she was sick. It wouldn't be at school. That call was placed today after she had vanished. Soon after the Kathy Durst case was reopened, Susan Berman was found dead, shot in the back of the head. No forced entry, no robbery, nothing missing from her home. The book covers what led to Durst's capture. Police records placed him in California at the time of his good friend Susan Berman's murder. HBO filmmakers discovered a letter unknown before written by Durst to Susan, a dead on match to the cadaver letter police say the killer sent before Susan's body was discovered. The book that we're featuring this evening is Murder of a Mafia Daughter, The story behind the suspicions Robert Durst murdered Susan Berman with my special guest journalist and author Kathy Scott. Welcome back to the program and thank you for agreeing to this interview Kathy.
Speaker 6: Scott, my pleasure. Thank you for having me.
Speaker 4: Dan, Well, thank you very much again. Robert Durst is making you look good again. So this is fascinating how this case stays in the public's attention, always garnering more new interest because the story keeps unfolding. Let's get right to Susan Berman, because we've got to cover a lot of ground here to cover these new developments. So let's talk about Susan Berman. And before we talk about how Susan Berman met her good friend, Robert Durst, tell us a little bit about Susan Berman and growing up in the shadow or under her father being Davy Berman. So tell us a little bit about Susan Berman and her life.
Speaker 6: Our dad started out in Kansas City, New York, places like that, as you know, a member of the Mafia Jewish mob. Basically he worked for Maya Lansky and he was tapped to go into Las Vegas and run the skim at the Riviera and later the Flamingo Hotel. And in nineteen forty six he moved Susan and her mother, Gladys, who was who was a dancer, and they moved lived at the Ranchito Hotel, Susan was a year old, and she was raised as a Mob royalty and had just an incredible life. And you know, the day Bugsy Siegel was killed, Davy Berman, Susan's father took over running the skim at the filming a hotel, and she just he would they would go to Los Angeles and eat at the best place and stay at the Beverly Hilton and and the bel Air and places like that. And she just was a spoiled, very happy little girl. And then her father died during surgery when she was twelve, and her mother committed suicide the next year when she was thirteen, and she went to live with her uncle Chicki, who worked for her father but then no longer worked for the mob whence he died and he took her home to Idaho where his wife and kids were. And then Susan went to Chadwick High School with E Liza Minelli and you know, Children of Stars, and then went on to college. So that's basically Susan. So Susan never got over losing her parents and but but went into journalism became a writer, right.
Speaker 4: So she's eventually ends up at U c.
Speaker 2: L A.
Speaker 4: In California, and she meets Robert Durst. Tell us about Robert Durst and his background before we talk about how they Susan and Robert Durst met and how their relationship developed. So tell us a little bit about the background of Robert Durst.
Speaker 6: Well, Robert Durst is the oldest son to the Durst organization and Seymour Durst to you know, build half of Manhattan, all the high rises, the early ones, they were built by the Durst organization. They're worth in the billions. That's with the beat. And he was raised, like Susan, in the lap of luxury. And and he lost his mother at age seven when she either jumped or fell off the roof of their home. And then but Bobby he was raised and I call him Bobby Durst because that's what Susan called them. But Durst was raised in Scarsdale, New York, finest schools, finest prep schools, finest everything. And and I slowly went into working for his dad, but he did run. He married in nineteen seventy three, I believe he married Kathy Durst, who was in medical school.
Speaker 4: And he.
Speaker 6: And then he for a time ran a Vermont health food store and then went back because he was tapped to one day take over the Durst organization, but Bobby wasn't interested. He was quiet in high school. He was always sort of an odd ball, whereas his brothers were outgoing, his younger brothers, I think he had two of them, and Bobby was just all People thought he was quiet, but he was you know, still waters run deep, but he was quiet and more a mysterious way. I think then, you know, you could say sinister too. I mean, I think he's sociopathic. I think it started with this childhood. So he was raised by a father who was distant, so he didn't get the nurturing, you know, at a long young age because his mother died. So in that way and Susan had had parallel sadness and loss in their lives and did it fully mentally and emotionally grow the way they should have.
Speaker 4: As well. We want to explain to the dynamic with this same or Durst family in that Doors is the oldest, his youngest brother is Douglas, and there's a couple other siblings, and with reports that at around ten years of age they were seeing a psychiatrist for sibling rivalry and they noticed some they said, almost schizophrenic tendencies and some disturbing characteristics that he had at a very young age. And and also how affected he was by his mother's death.
Speaker 6: Wasn't he Yes, he was, And yeah, he and his brother never get along. I mean, I come from a family of five, trust me, there are lots of fights. But but yeah, so I understand the sibling rivals saying when you're growing up. But but he he was different. Bobby was different, and it was you know, it's interesting because it's attorney now it's claiming that he has Aspergers, and you know, back then you didn't hear much about aspergers. I mean, you know, Bobby Durst is seventy just at his seventy second birthday in jail and thank you very much. But he So it's interesting as his attorneys latching onto that. But so there were you know, back back then, and those those li did to grow up the forties to fifties, you know, psychiatry was I mean, that's when they were still shocking people. So they certainly didn't have a handle back then, you know, the psychiatric community and what makes people pick necessarily. I mean, it was the same era that the Kennedy family, one of the daughters had a lobotomy and then they you know, felt bad for the rest of the lives that they had done that pure because that was one of the treatments. So theirs was diagnosed with lots of things, but he was basically showing signs very young. If you look at all the symptoms and signs of socio paths as being a sociopath, he had definitely a personality disorder.
Speaker 4: Just for our audience of what is Asperger syndrome, well Asberger's, I.
Speaker 6: Mean, I worked with somebody who had it, and I've got a new friend who's been diagnosed years ago with it. Asberger's is a form I believe. I mean, I'm not an expert by any mean it's a form of autism. But they're very, very functioning, nice people, friendly, don't you know. Sociopaths. Sociopaths and and and Asperger's don't go hand in hand. So it's an interesting defense if you if I might say that, but it's it certainly doesn't excuse anything because Asperger people with Aspergers aren't criminals. You know, they don't have criminal tendencies anymore than someone who's not diagnosed with Aspergers. So I think trying to explain his weirdness and his his his his personality disorder, explaining it away with Aspergers is quite a stretch, and it's a nice try, but I'm not buying it. I think I think he was showing, you know. I mean, he wasn't schizophrenic. You know, he muttered to himself, but mostly he muttered to himself, even as a child and as an adult, because he likes to mess with people's minds, and he just does it because he thinks it's fun to mess with people. He was always a loner, you know, and that is not a good sign. He's very intelligent. I could function if he wanted to, and then you have on the other hand, other side, he's the spoiled brat you know, growing up, so why work if you don't have to. So he never really poured himself into the Durst organization. And his father was hard on him and on the other boys. So but they turned out you know, normal, normal can be. I mean, no one comes out of life on scathed, but you know, but he was a strict father, and there's just you know, Dinnett was an outsider, even inside his own family.
Speaker 4: Now Durst went to UCLA and he was studying economics of course, to potentially be able to take over the family dynasty the industry, and that's where he met Susan Berman. So talk about how these people met and how they became fast friends, what do they have in common, and tell us a little bit about their relationship.
Speaker 6: Okay, I believe he went to Lehigh University for his undergraduate and he he got a master's degree, and he went to u c l A for his doctorate or his master's I'm sorry, I can't remember which it's in the book, because I did call the universities and confirm his degrees. He didn't finish at u c l A. Het he met Susan when she was an undergrad going for journalism before she transferred to UC Berkeley, and they met in the quad, the student quad, and just hit it off immediately. He was a year or two older than her, and immediately they had this bond, always platonic. Neither one of them, you know, neither was interested, you know, romantically in the other. They had instantly a background of wealth being raised very well, and I mean she was a trust fund kid basically, you know, because for the rest of her lives, she lived off of well, until she was thirty, she lived off of mob money and because of her father's interest in hotels, and so she was you know, she came from wealth. They both lost he lost one parent, she lost two. They had this instant asinity and this instant connection, and they became lifelong friends. She called him the brother she never had.
Speaker 4: Now, when she decides to go into journalism and to be a writer, tell us what Susan Berman writes about specifically.
Speaker 6: Well, initially she was a sort of a features writer. She went to work for the San Francisco Examiner and then wrote, and then she freelanced too. You know, she didn't like going to work and being you know, stuck day by day having to go to a job. You know, she likes she liked freelancing more. And straight out of journalism school at UC Berkeley, she got hired by the San Francisco Examiner and became a features writer then. But she didn't like just being a regular reporter along with everybody else. You know, she aspired to do bigger things, and so she started freelancing on the side while she was still at that paper, and she wrote for I think it was the City paper, and she wrote a story that was titled how to Get Laid in San Francisco, and it was the talk of the town and it went viral as things could go back then, you know, the old fashioned way, and you know, other newspapers wrote about her, and she was always in the society column after that. And she was and then Bobby had, you know, had left school and he was back in New York and working for his father, and so Susan wanted to, you know, be a journalist in New York, and she got hired by New York Magazine and she was she was there when Nicholas Polegy was a writer there. That's who she worked with. She went and moved to a studio apartment on Beakman Place, which is a real high end place that she was just in a little studio and and that was what the late seventies and uh, you know, mid to late seventies. And she lived in New York for a few years and Robert Durstin introduced her to the literati and you know, all the movers and shakers and people in the book industry, music industry. And she used to eat at the best restaurants, Elanes and whatnot. And she wrote a book while she was there called Easy Street, Writing to Answer Your Question, Writing about Las Vegas, and she wrote about Las Vegas until her death.
Speaker 4: Now Easy Street was commercially and critically accepted at that time, so it let her continue with her lavish lifestyle. Basically, no, but.
Speaker 6: She got it very large. It was three it's off the top of my head, but it was like three hundred and eighty five thousand dollars or something and advance for with the movie rights, and she was that was very exciting. She was on the Today Show for the book. It was very critically positively reviewed, and she was high, you know, high in her game, and she didn't want to work at New York Magazine. By that time, she was getting paranoid and had phobias, and one of them was the fear of heights. And she didn't like working in anything off the ground, anything above the first floor, and she was always afraid she'd get too close to a window and fall out. And so she was battling, you know, her phobias at that point. And then in nineteen eighty two, if you want to take the listeners to that is you know she was there at the time that Robert Dur's wife, Kathy disappeared.
Speaker 4: Now, what was the relationship between the three of them. She was friends with Kathy as well as Bobby. Tell us about that a little bit.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Kathy liked her. Yeah, they had mutual friends. I mean, Robert durstn't have I mean, his wife had a lot of friends, and Robert had a lot of acquaintances. And then Susan because she was journalist and you know, a top magazine, she met a lot of people. I mean they hung around with Lorraine Newman from Saturday Night Live and just a lot of big name people, you know, in the music and literature industry and journalism. And Bobby just sort of hung out with Susan, you know, at first she hung out with him, and then it became he was just always invited and she But Kathy was part of the circle, and she wasn't. She wasn't she wasn't Susan's friend necessarily, but because she was married to Robert, you know, she was her friend. But Kathy liked Susan. She never felt threatened or anything by her. But the friend said that he was always closer to Susan than he was to his own wife. And then they're having problems. She was in her fourty year of college. He was becoming abusive and she wanted to divorce. And then she was planning on divorcing as soon as she was finished with school, and she only had, you know, a few months to go, and then you know, she turned up missing and they haven't ever found her remains or her she she was declared, I think, I.
Speaker 1: Said, is Ryan.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure if you know this about me, but I'm a bit of a fun fanatic when I can. I like to work, but I like fun too.
Speaker 1: It's a thing.
Speaker 3: And now the truth is out there, I can tell you about my favorite place to have fun, Chumba Casino. They have hundreds of social casino style games to choose from, with new games released each week. You can play for free anytime, anywhere, and each day brings a new chance to collect daily bonuses. So join me and the fun. Sign up now at Chumba Casino dot com.
Speaker 2: No, we're just necessary dad, Where everybody lost the terms conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 6: Five years ago and then ten years after she disappeared, DR divorced her. Let's get words, borister, even though she would declared dead.
Speaker 4: Let's go back, because this is the complicated part of this is the relationship Susan has with Bobby Durst and how she becomes his media spokesperson, being a lazy liaison between media and the police. And so that's how close we are as friends.
Speaker 6: No, yeah, we get a big solid yeah.
Speaker 4: Okay, we'll explain how that really works. And what exactly did she convey to the media and police as this go between on behalf of Robert Durst at that time.
Speaker 6: Well, there's didn't report his wife's missing for five days. And they lived they lived in Westchester County, you know, in New York, but they had an apartment in the city and Kathy and Kathy had argued and she was at a friend's house having at a party, and it was a Sunday evening and she said she had to get home. Durst was mad at her, and she was going to take the train to the city to spend the night in their Manhattan apartment so she could get up the next day and go to classes. Well, she nobody ever saw her again after she left the party, and then Durst didn't report her missing for five days, and then he didn't do it out of his own county and Westchester. He went to Manhattan. I think that was by design. He's a cagy guy. He wanted to put in in a different jurisdiction, and especially in the jurisdiction where his father is a very powerful, well known man who practically runs Manhattan. So they accepted durs explanation, including an alibi at certain times, which he lied, and he admitted on you know, a recent documentary, The Jinx, which is all about him, that just aired, that he had made that up. He admitted lying, you know, while he was on being taped. But so after, because of his name and because of his family was the media in New York just took off with the story. So he didn't want to talk to the media, so Susan became his spokesman. And there was also a telephone call the next morning after Kathy disappeared, supposedly from a woman saying she was Kathy Durist calling the dean of a medical school that she wanted to be into classes that week that day. Who in college calls the dean? You know, colleagues, kids don't have to call in and if you talk to anybody, it would be a professor to find out how to make up your work. So it was an odd phone call. The doorman couldn't place Kathy Jursey in Manhattan. Nobody had seen her in Manhattan, but the Manhattan you know, the New York PD didn't pursue the case at all, and it just sort of died down that Susan. Everybody believes that because she was the spokesperson. The wide belief is that she knew too much, and she knew too much for a very very long time.
Speaker 4: How could it be that she was able to be the spokesperson. I mean, this is the thing. I just don't have an explanation for. How does she be have credibility as a spokesperson just because she's his friend and she's a journalist. Is that why they gave her this ability to be spokesperson rather than having him answer these hard questions.
Speaker 6: Well, he gave it, he gave it out. It's just like anybody, you know. You look at the Freddie Gray family right now, the guy who was killed in Baltimore when he was in custody of the police, and it's the family. There's a stepfather who's now coming out front and speaking it's usually a family member. She was very close to him. She was one of his best friends. So if not his best friend, so it's easy to say I'm his best friend and he's asked me to and they accept it, you know, they just accept anybody who can talk to them about it. I think frankly, he just didn't want to, you know, he was just waiting for it to go away. And it did. And interestingly enough, that was in eighty two, and Susan her book had come out in eighty one, I believe, and then that was probably around the time of the film Bill and then that fell through because Susan was difficult to work with and she wanted to write the screenplay and so the movie just pulled. It just died and it never never was, uh, you know, filmed, and and then in eighty four season left New York and I think it all was just I think Robert Durst changed after that, and he was he was under suspicion by Westchester County, you know, for committing murder, but they didn't have a body, they didn't have any evidence, they didn't work with Manhattan PD. Nobody really pursued it. But he was always considered a present of interest, and I think it changed him. And then she left and went to la to become a screenwriter, which never happened now with this, but she stayed in touch with Bobby.
Speaker 4: Of course, what was the alibi that she provided for Bobby Durst? Can you say?
Speaker 6: Well? What he said he had He had left and went to an ever's house and had to drink with him, and no police didn't even question him about whether he did that. He'd taken his wife to the train station. In fact, when everybody knows he was out of town because there were phone calls made from it's called ship Bottom, New York or ship Bottom, New Jersey, I think it is, and it's a little distance from his Westchester house, and he was actually had called the Durst organization. Later when people looked into the records and everything, they found out the police that he had someone had made phone calls from ship Bottom using a calling collect and the only one who could do that from there would have been Bobby Durst, and so they placed him there. So he obviously wasn't home, wasn't having a drink with his neighbor, but they never called the neighbor, So the neighbor appears on the documentary, He goes, yeah, no, I never had to drink with him. But Susan's alibi was more. Hers was more to place Kathy in New York going to school, making a phone call from Manhattan to the school to put her there in town, to take it out of Westchester and put it into Manhattan where they were not pursuing it. So it was, you know, and he was just and then he didn't report his wife missing for five which is odd. Yeah. Yeah, now it's all convoluted, you know.
Speaker 4: Now was in many cases. Is there another woman in the offing?
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, eventually Deborah what is her last name, Cataract. Yes, she's a pricey, well known rilter who befriends him in the eighties eighty five or something and becomes romantically involved with him at some point. But so you figure, okay, if you're backtracking, you go, okay, nineteen eighty two, there's a missing person, probably a murder. Then you go two thousand, there's a murder with Susan Berman. Then you go you fast forward to two thousand and two and there's a murder of in Galveston Bay, and in between, in between Susan and Galveston Bay. This Deborah Charlton, I mean, I think actually he married her in at some point around Christmas time and around the time Susan was murdered, and he and he did it because he was he was he was on the land because the police had leaked, unfortunately, they had leaked that they were interested and it was around November of two thousand. They were interested in talking to durst Uh, to Susan about out what she knew way back in nineteen eighty two about the Kathy durthk case and her disappearance, and it came out in a magazine and there's bolted left the state, went to New Orleans, went to Galveston Bay, you know, went under cover or women's clothing, got a three hundred dollars apartment apartment next door to Morris Black in this rundown apartment building in Galveston Bay and tried to live in cognito and all the while Susan, you know, was trying to get in touch with him and she couldn't. This is before so that came out about October November, and Susan was killed on December twenty third, and you know, but he had a house in San Francisco, and you know, he was always traveling, living someplace else, So he was traveling to San Francisco too, and nobody even knew it.
Speaker 4: You know, let's talk about not until later. Let's talk about the district attorney. What is the evidence or who is the witness? Or tell us what spurs spurns the the district attorney to reopen the case and specifically want to interview Susan Berman. As as we mentioned in the introduction about that phone call supposedly made after a day after the disappearance. So tell us what spurns this refocus on Susan Berman.
Speaker 6: So is a detective. It with friends of Kathy Durst, a couple of friends who kept hounding the police department in west Chester, telling them, you've got to you know, here's the evidence. They were going through his trash, they found notes. I mean, they were trying to do everything they could. I mean the police didn't even go into Bobby Durst's house until years later. He had fuld it in the house he shared with Kathy Durst, and they didn't do it anything. You know, there was a pond that was frozen, but in ship Bottom you could break through and that's where everybody thinks she was done. But they dragged they dragged some pawns at some some lake at some point years later. But so he he was, he was, you know, it all died down and then it lit up. It was his name was Bchera, detective. The Chera got fired up because of the friends saying, you know, you've got to chase this case down, and you need to talk to Susan Berman because she was the spokesperson and his best friend and if anybody knew anything, it would be Susan. And so they contacted Susan. And but what they did what leaked out, was that it leaked out to the media and then it became public. And then Dursk got, you know, tipped off that they wanted to talk to Susan and they had already contacted her, but she hadn't returned their calls, so they never had a chance to talk to Susan. And I think whatever she knew, you know, died with her in the grave. So then he was he freaked out and was on the lamb. And then he had told she had told friends that Robert Durst had called her and said he was going to come and visit. He was going to be in California and northern Nevada, in northern California, northern California at his house. He had a condo and a house up there, and that he was going to come down and visit her. And I think he did and he killed her.
Speaker 4: Who Sorry, Cathy. We're going to use this as a We're going to use this as a pause for a message from our sponsor, which is na Nature Box. And you know you're going to snack, and when you do, you wanted it to be worth it, something that is tasty and satisfying, but doesn't make you feel guilty afterwards. What you need. Snacks from Nature Box choose from over one hundred healthy and craveworthy options to be delivered right to your door. All of their snacks are all made with zero artificial flavors, colors or sweeteners, zero grams transfats and no high frutose corn syrup. And best of all, they taste amazing, so good and so much better for you than the other snacks options out there. So next time you're hungry, grab siratcha roasted cashews, white truffle popcorn and peanut butterednomnomes or personalized to your favorites and get smart about snacking Right now, if you go to naturebox dot com slash true murder, you can get a free trial of their favorite snacks, free snacks delivered right to your door. What are you waiting for? Go to naturebox dot com slash true murder to get your free trial today. When we last left off, Kathy, we were speaking about all of the evidence surrounding Bobby Durst in terms of connection to Susan Berman's murder, in terms of afterwards, where he is you say, is on the lamb. Let's go back to the actual murder itself. And because again police like you have mentioned a couple times, are not so eager, not so diligent, not so anxious to go after Bobby Durst. So tell us about Susan Berman's murder and how anyone discovers that she's actually been killed and win.
Speaker 6: She well December sometime December denied of December twenty second, between nine pm and the morning of December twenty third, because their dogs were running loose in the front yard and then the neighbors heard the dogs barking the night before, which could have been they were barking at Durst. So on the twenty second, she had gone out to dinner with a friend and out to the show and got home somewhere around nine thirty ten, nine o'clock something like that, and that person was interviewed, of course, inclared, So Susan was paranoid. She never in a million years would have opened her door to anybody, so it had to be someone she knew. And she was killed with a nine millimeter single gunshot wound to the back of her head as she was walking through a hallway to her spare room, which is where she had three small dogs, and she had and two of them didn't get along since she would have to create one or the other, and they were in that spare room where she would create them. And she was walking into that spare room, so she didn't know what was coming. She didn't know she was about to be shot, and her body, curious was turned over because you know, when you're shot in the back, they had there's a little bit of recoil, but you fall forward, and and she was turned over in an unusual position, not a natural falling position. Uh. And they pull a blood and so the next door neighbors. The next morning, I interviewed the neighbors, and especially the one next door. He's the doctor, and he saw them out loose, and and Bennet at Canyon Road, where she lived on the border of Los Angeles and Beverly Hills, was heavily traffic, no sidewalks or anything, and just fast traffic. I was just there recently, and and so the do but nobody did anything. The neighbors next door noticed as well, and the one of the dogs they let come into their house. The other neighbors on the other side. So then so then mark, uh oh, I'm sorry, I can't remember the doctor his name. But the doctor gets up the next morning on the twenty fourth, and lo and behold, the dogs are out again. So he walks over talk to the neighbors on the other side because it was unusual to see these dogs out, and they noticed that to her gate, her gate is open and her back door is a jar, which means that the killer went out the back way. I think it was parked up the street where you can park, and the walked in in the cover of night, you know, on the twenty second, and then they both people called police, and that was around. Police didn't get their turn around just before noon on New Year's Eve Day, so you figure the Wheelshire. The Wheelshire LAPD station responded detectives, but they didn't call homicide. And there was a poster above Susan Susan's mantle that wanted poster for her father from the nineteen twenty He wanted for murder and they figured it was a mob hit. Single gunshot will into the back of they had, so they didn't process it like a typical crime scene. And I think the holiday had something to do with him. They did not call in homicide. Homicide didn't catch the case for two and a half weeks. Almost three weeks went by, and you know how that is of first forty eight hours of course and the most important. And then friends called the house looking forward because she didn't show up at a dinner Christmas Eve dinner and so they were worried about her. Police answered the phone, so words started spreading among her family and her cousins and her step son, and people started coming to the house. So people were just they let them in. So the crime scene was like the O. J. Simpson scene where there's so many people trampling all over it. So that's where that stood. And then Durse was of course gone.
Speaker 4: Now let's let's talk about that with with the prosecution just about to interview Susan Berman, and did anybody make the connection that Robert Durst might be a person of interest? And then we have Yeah, you can tell us about the funeral, and of course we see this in the in the movies all the time where the police are observing the funeral just in case the killer might show up. And what's interesting about really good friend that walked her down the aisle. Tell us about Robert Durst's non appearance at this and also talk about what's very interesting is the odd behavior of her manager, Nile Brenner, And.
Speaker 6: Did that yeah, Nile was, Yeah, he was a suspect and he was their quasi manager because she never paid him and she owed him money and so he waited for police to leave and then climbed through her windows and you know, their fingerprint everywhere, and he took some banks statements, he said he took them, and then he returned them later to police. But he was a suspect too, but they they didn't search his house for it was like two months went by and they searched his house and didn't find anything. And and but Durst was he offered, he offered to pay for the funeral, and the cousin who handled the funeral turned him down on that because they they got a sense of I guess he was very nice to everybody on the phone. The stepson supported Durst, visited him in jail later in Galveston Bay, and you know, he was acquitted of that murder based on a weird self defense, you know, ploy and it worked. But he So there was just and then the landlady. They looked at her because she had threatened to kill Susan's dog or something. She was like eighty one years old. Susan was in the midst of being evicted. She needed money. She went to Durst. Durst gave center to twenty five thousand dollars checks for a tollow fifty thousand. I think he always did it. I don't think he was trying to pay her off. Maybe he was trying to pay off for silence. But I don't know that she would have threatened him. But she was very, very desperate, but she couldn't get a hold of him. He was sort of incognito and she was frustrated, and Susan would lash out at people verbally sometimes, so who knows how that conversation with him went. In order to get him and ask for money, she had to write a letter to the Durst organization and then they got in touch with him when he was in Galveston Bay. In the meantime, you know, ten months later, he kills his next to our neighbor. Chops, I'm probably going ahead too much. It chops him up and puts him in little bags and he floats up that you know, the body floats up in Galveston day.
Speaker 4: How does he end Number three? You talked about him, Yeah, well, go ahead, you talk about him being in this little flea bit in apartment, which is important because he gets bailed because they don't recognize who he is.
Speaker 6: So yeah, they don't, Yeah, they don't recognize him, but he's well, you know, he's just I mean they refer to Galveston Bay at the end of the road because it's actually you know, the road into Galveston Bay ends at the bay and it's you know, a small town. They don't have a homicide unity. They you know, Durst was then he after he killed Norris Black. Then he takes off and he goes to Lehigh, Pennsylvania, where he graduated from college. He likes to revisit places he used to be in, you know, it's interesting. So he goes to Lehigh, goes into a drug store. He's got thirty five thousand dollars cash in his car, five hundred in his pocket, and a nine millimeter gun. Gee that's what Susan was killed with in the back of his trunk. But he goes into this drug store and steals a a band aid, puts it on his mouth of all things, above his note, above his lip, and walks out with the sandwich and a newspaper and they get him for shoplifting and that that's when they arrested him. And someone pulled him up in the computer and realized who he was, and he lawyered up immediately. But he when asked why he sold why he stole this sandwich because I wanted to. And I think that just speaks volumes of him, don't you know. He thinks he's a bubbies boiled kid do whatever money and power. His father, By the way, Seymour Durst, had hired an attorney, and that attorney called the LAPD and called the DA's office and also wrote a letter to the DA's office. Leave him alone, quit questioning he, quit trying to interview him, quit calling him. And so they did so the power of you know, fear of being you know, I don't know, losing your job because the high powered person comes along and explains about you to your bosses, I don't know. So they backed away from him completely, and Susan's case just languaged until twenty and twelve when they reinvestigated the LAPD based upon a missing girl in San Francisco who was last seen with a guy who looked like Robert Durst. The FBI got involved because that involved kidnapping because she was seeing getting into a car that was like his, and the FBI, in concert with the LAPD, opened it reopened the case, I think, and then thus the arrest in twenty fifteen. So this started in two twelve, two thirteen, and so it's not like the Jinks prompted it, you know, it was in the in the works, and and but I think it speeded up his arrest because you know, as you know, the FBI works very slowly when they're investigating things. But they I think I think the l a p D, as far as evidence goes, I think they've got great ballistics right now on that nine millimeter shell that was found in Susan's house, I would bet it's close. Because Galveston Bay said, oh, it was inconclusive, But that's Galveston Bay, you know. Did they even have a crime lab of their own? So the l a p D didn't test it. But I bet it's already been to Quantico, Virginia, to the FBI, and and that it's been tested by the l a p d's lab. And I think they've got a lot and you know, they've got lots of circumstantial they placed them. Financial records in my books, I've reported financial records show him in Los Angeles, not just San Francisco. He flew out at San Francisco the afternoon she was found, and his attorney, Dicta Garin, one of the best in the country, told me he had an alibi for Susan Berman's debt, that he was in the air. And I said, well, wait a minute, what day was that he was in the air after her body was found? Once she had been dead for you know, for twenty four to thirty six hours, so he had plenty of time to get to drive back to San Francisco and then get that flight out on the twenty fourth.
Speaker 4: Well, we're talking about this type of interesting evidence. Tell us about the cadaver letter. And this was the letter notifying police that there was a body at Susan Burman's house. That's how there was a letter sent to police, and that was called what we refer in your book to is the cadaver letter. So tell us about the cadaver letter and then the handwriting analysis or comparison that seemed to be part of the was part of the HBO the Jinks series.
Speaker 6: Yeah, on December twenty third postcard, Well, it was an envelope with a note inside that said cadaver in Susan's address and Beverly Hills and Beverly Hills was felled wrong with an extra e and then the envelope block letters on the front of the envelope to the Beverly Hill. All it said was Beverly Hills Police postmarked December twenty third in Los Angeles, and they sent it to the wrong jurisdiction. Of course, the killer did, and no one could have written it except for the killer because it was postmarked the day before a body was found, and so it's obviously the killer. And I think there's just like some mess with people again, you know. I don't think it was because he cared her body was in there, you know, deteriorating. I think it's just he just does things just because I think he thinks he pulls the wool over people's eyes and he's just messing with him. Hey, guess what, You've got a body over there. And so in the in the HBO documentary Sarah Sarah, who was Sarah Kaufman, who was Susan's stepson, quasi step son. She lived with his father for a long time and then helped raise his two children. He's an adult of course. So Sarah was given papers from the l a p. D. Of Susan's you know, personal records, manuscripts, things like that, in a box and the film years ago. The police, now you get that right, The police had apparently gone through them. I don't know if they went through them, but they gave them to them. I think it's floppy police work because they missed it. So the filmmaker then asked, Hey, could you go through the stuff and you know one more time and just see if there is anything interesting. And he called Sarah calls the filmmaker and says, oh my god, he's shaking, he's upset. Can somebody come over. He found this envelope from the Durst Organization stationary in block letters, just like the cadaver letter Beverly Hills to Susan Berman. I guess you thought she was in Beverly Hills. She was really in Los Angeles and right on the border. So the same misspelling, same letters, same everything. Handwriting analysis so far three of them say that it matches Durst's handwriting. But earlier Durst had had police had asked for one. When he was in jail in Galveston, they'd asked l A. PD had asked for handwriting, and of course he wrote Cursey. You know, he didn't right in block letters, and they couldn't. It was inconclusive. But these are dead on matches right now. So they confronted Durst with those and then we all know what happens after that in the in the documentary of course, right.
Speaker 4: Well, tell us for those people that didn't see it, I happened to catch it, of course because of your book and interview, Like a lot of people, you know, I said, Wow, I'll just I'll get to see this and and I just happened to see all of it and happened to see that last episode. I hadn't even planned on it, and I just happened to see it. Where his muttering to himself. So tell us about the HBO series, why there was interest and what they tell us, like the format of the show for those people that didn't get to see it yet. Tell us about the chings.
Speaker 6: Well, there was the movie The Good was it called The All Good Things? Is that what it was called? There's a movie, yes, okay, a movie about Kathy Durst and her disappearance. And Ryan Goslin played the lead. He played Robert Durst. And the filmmaker was Andrew Jureki, and there's like the film. And he called the filmmaker afterward and said, Hey, I like the film. Why don't you do a documentary on me? And so they talked and they got together with Durst. The filmmaker and and another producer got together with Durst and his attorney and sat down and over months and months, it took a long time, they settled on that he was going to do this documentary. They interviewed him something like twenty four hours was it or twenty three hours of Cape and in the process of doing that and then over I think it took a couple of years to do it. I think I came very close to being interviewed, and then they never called me. I was told that I was on the list, but I wanted to say anything positive because if you look at the early early series, it's a six part series. In the first three are very sympathetic toward Durst. I'd like to see the contract they had with him. I think it's because his attorney is now saying the filmmaker's double crossed him. So in the fifth episode, sixth episode, which is you know, the big one. Fifth one was about Susan, which was fascinating. Then the last one is Sarah discovering of course on film. He'd discovered it beforehand and then they put it on film and he had his reaction this envelope with the Durst organization letter head and then the exact words. So they asked, there's you know, confronted him Jareki did the filmmaker, and he said, oh, well, yeah, the only one who could have written the cadaver letter is the killer. He admitted that, and then he said, but you know that's not just anybody could do that. It's like a typewriter. You write block letters and they all look alike. And then he took away the he had printed them. The filmmaker had printed the two Beverly Hills on one piece of paper, one above the other, and said which one is yours? And Durst couldn't tell him, couldn't recognize his own handwriting because they both are handwriting, of course, so Durst excused himself, said he had to use the restroom, gets that he's still on. Mike goes in and says, what have you done? This is a disaster. What have you done? Killed them all? Of course, and they've got down on tape. It's more of an admission, I think, than a confession, but it stakes volume.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's interesting. Let's go back just a little bit. I wanted to because we didn't talk about his when he's on the run and he's trying to go incognito. We've heard countless tales of people getting aliases and having new lives, but this guy does it to a you know, a whole new other level. So let's talk a little bit about this cross dressing and that's even bizarre and this mute disguise that he has so that he can't apparently can't talk to police. And also we'll talk a little bit about Morris Black and.
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, Morris Black and his Yeah he's an odd odd ball too, you know, but Morris Black apparently had ties to the Mob, and there is there is. Bobby Baka believes that there's a connection, you know, between the mob and that they found out something to do with Susan, but her father didn't have anything to do with those people. Plus her father's been dead since nineteen fifty seven, so you know, Susan, the only tie she had was she got you know, money over the years until she was thirty, and then it all ended because she was paid whatever his interests were, and that was the course to Chicago. Connection is there is certainly nothing to do with with Morris Black and his family. But Morris there's claims that they got into an argument and Morris had a gun and they scuffled and it accidentally went off and killed him, killed Morris, and then he just panicked, so he went and got a chainsaw and chopped him up and in a panic. I don't know how you can chop up your own species. I have a hard time chopping up a chicken, but I don't do that anymore. So so he gets so there's blood everywhere, you know, in in the apartment, and then he he's living as a mute woman. But apparently he talked to he let his guard down with Morris, so maybe that was it. He let his guard down and started talking to him. And so Morris knew that he was living as you know, as a woman, and he was on the run, So that could have been the motivation as well, because you've got motive, opportunity and meets, you know, and and he certainly had everything so that that could be connected. That he found out too like Susan, knew too much and so he did him in. But then he you know, they never found Morris black head, so they couldn't say how he was killed, although he says he was shot in the front of the head. I think he was shot in the back and they head just like Susan, So the head disappeared, and of course he got rid of the head because that would have been terrible evidence. So without that, the re acquitted him the self defense theory, and you know, Dick Degeron, one of the top defense attorneys in the country, represented him, and now I guess he's representing him again in New Orleans where he was arrested by the way, with a mask of an old person and a wig, so he was going to do the same thing. Apparently, only had a map of Cuba with him and passports in about twenty different IDs, all in the legal different names.
Speaker 4: Isn't it fascinating that Geron puts Robert Durst in California at the time of his wife's murder. So as clever as he is and as commodating it is for his client, he's not done any good for him in this case, has he no?
Speaker 6: And then they've had that confirmed of course with the you know, the the flight that he took out it was actually I believe a ten PM flight out of out of San Francisco on December twenty fourth, and plenty of time from the twenty second or the twenty morning of the twenty third when she was killed somewhere around there according to Rigormortis and her body, you know that she had been dead for you know, twenty four to thirty six hours and they so they now have financial records placing him leaving. They've got a about two hundred miles outside of one hundred or so miles outside of south of San Francisco area. They've got him checking his voicemail, so they've got a king on his cell phone. And then they don't have anything on him until the twenty fourth back in California, other than back in northern California. So Susan's murder happens all of a sudden. He's quiet on his cell phone and everything else. But I'm told that there are financial records. He was told by a San Francisco investigator, and I had it confirmed with the LAPD that they're uh, they've got financial records that place Durst in the Los Angeles area, which is gas or something. He slipped up somehow, He slipped up somehow, because he does that. You know, you know, kirks get caught because they got you know, they're stupid and they make a mistake, you know, trying to cover something up. It's hard enough living, isn't it. Trying to do everything the right way and everything you do, let alone having the manufacture stuff. That's hard to do, and so you trip yourself up and he's getting older. Good thing is he's not in very good health.
Speaker 4: You talked about Los Angeles police, We'll just say, for lack of a better term, dropping the ball on this. But in terms of the FBI, have they seemed to put as far as as you know, seemed to put everything together in terms of Kathy Durst murdered, Susan Berman has the alibi going to be questioned, murdered, and then we certainly can see what he did to his capability of murdering, dismembering, covering up his crime. Does it seem like they have a good handle on the nexus of events and enough to really convict Robert Durst this time?
Speaker 6: I do. I think they do. But I think the important thing is he was caught in New Orleans, you know, about to leave the country apparently with a gun, and he was convicted of a felony being on the lamb, you know, because he did he did flee justice, so he was convicted of that. So he's a convicted fella. And he had a fire two firearms with him. He had five kilos of marijuana five ounces quilos five ounces of marijuana with us in New Orleans. That's a felon with a weapon and illy substance, So they're gonna that that could get him ten to twenty. So LAPD's not pushing it because that's a federal case.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 6: The state case on that was dropped, so the Feds are focusing in New Orleans because they can get him on that, no doubt. And then his attorney wants to get him in LA, of course, but they also want to get rid of that federal case in New Orleans. So once he gets to LA, I think they've got a heck of a case. I really do. Interesting thing is one of his friends he met him in Houston at a Starbucks. This guy contacted me last week said I'm a friend of He sent me a message through I can't remember which social media side it was. It might have been LinkedIn that a friend of Robert Durst wants to talk to you, which sent us, you know, a chill up my spine. So I figured what the heck? So I took my my GPS off my phone, turned it off and called and and soyone to know where I was. And he said what I think he was trying to change my mind. It wasn't like he was trying to pick my brain. He was trying to change my mind on Durst, you know, to claim that he's innocent. This is what he's going after, is someone someone impersonated tried to set up Dirst, went into his to killed Susan Berman and then tried to set up Durst and killed her. Chris, there's no motive to kill her. She didn't have any money or anything. Nothing was taken from the house. And that rifled through her things found a letter that Durst had written her and then copied the handwriting and copied it adds the cadaver letters, so it was forged in his handwriting. It wasn't his because someone wanted to send him up. It's so far fetched. It's laughable. And I blogged about it and then you know the whole it's it's amazing to me, but I think that I think his guys are just putting their heads together. His defence teame trying to come up with something is creative. As the self defense in Galveston Bay. It was brilliant, brilliant, and it worked in.
Speaker 4: It well absolutely, you get a It is testament to the incredible kind of defense that you get. And again I won't go back into my rant about that, but in terms of being able to defend yourself after the body parts are found in Galveston Bay, then he has enough time to come up with again creative defense, the only defense that's left because there's no head. Of course, there's no forensic evidence of how that person was killed. But that's usually not a good enough defense to be able to provide at trial and to be acquitted. But when you have a great lawyer. But what I found fascinating with this story is that Dick de geerin this veteran lawyer, really screws up with this inadvertent admission for an alibi for his client.
Speaker 6: And so oh and he told me he's the off the record, and I said, no, you didn't, because and I've interviewed him at length because of a you know, the Vinion trial in Las Vegas, because he was on that case for a while, so I've been in the courtroom with him, and I said, no, no, you didn't tell me before he said that that it was off the record. I mean, it was on the record. And he realized the second he said it, he goes, oh wait, wait, wait a minute he realized it. But then they were able to confirm that, you know, I mean, I broke that in the book, but they were able to They were able to confirm that with his records. You know, he bi sings with credit cards he gets. You know, when you fly, you have to use your name, otherwise if you don't, you're going, you're flying. You know, it's illegal to do that if you get found out using a false idea and everything. It's a big penalty that there are federal laws against that. So he flew all. He always flew as himself that we know us. So, yeah, we've got him flying in and out of San Francisco around the time of her death. And yeah, it's just, uh, he's he's powerful and rich and thinks he's the smartest person in the room. And you know, he's not as cagy as he thinks, because he just got caught, didn't.
Speaker 4: He Why did he kill Susan Burman? In your mind?
Speaker 6: I think he. I think Susan did know a lot, and I think that he didn't. You know, he didn't necessarily trust her anymore. He was out of touch with her. She was anxious to get a hold of him, who knows what their conversations were like. And I think he killed her to shut her up in case the you know, police wanted to because they did want to talk to her, and he knew that they were going to eventually, and I think he shut her up. So any information she had at all was And one of the one things she could have told him was that she was the one who made the phone call to the school to try to place Kathy Durst in Manhattan, you know, And I think that that that was the most damning thing probably, But who knows what else she knew. I mean, she told friends that I know Bobby did it. I know that he killed Susan killed Kathy Durst. But he's my Bobby, you know. I mean, her father was a killer, and she adored her father, even though she knew what his background, you know, at his high level in Las Vegas. He never killed anybody himself. He may have ordered it, but he didn't. He no longer killed, but in his younger years he did, and he did some time for one murder. And so so it's almost like Susan was anesthetize to it, and so she accepted it. She accepted it, and then the Omerica thing with the mobs, so he had I don't think she would have. I don't think she would have rad it on him. But I think it was the phone call to the dean that would have taken away placing her that would have negated that. And then who else or whatever else she knew, because you know, she no doubt knew that he uh, he killed his wife. He also had some dogs and kept naming them Igor and set on tape, and it's in the jinks, you know, he said to his wife, uh, what's her name, Sheraton, Debra Sheraton, that he you know, they gotter watch out all Egor them like it's an you know, it's a it's an active verb. Egor the dog's name. He had like ten dogs and they kept dying of none naturally. So there's there's thought out there that he was practicing to kill Kathy by killing his dog Egor, and then he just go get another one, and then that one would die and he'd go get another one, you know, So it's all creepy. It's all very creepy. But now he's you know, he's in jail where he should be, and you've got one more killer off the street at least for now.
Speaker 4: What's really telling is is the despite the Durst organization, like you said, what time, rallying around their son to say, listen, please don't question this guy. Leave this guy alone. Douglas Durst, which is the head of the foundation now spoke to HBO about Robert Durst and his suspicions about Robert Durst. So tell us a little bit about that.
Speaker 6: Well that he wasn't speaking to HBO. Those were the well I think no, I think they did get him. But part of the tapes were depositions because Durst was stalking his family and they were afraid of him. You know, he went and urinated, He eliminated his bladder in a store. Durst did just because, you know, just because, and and got off on that. You know that he was acquitted of that. And then this stocking thing, I think that was dismissed. And they're afraid of him. They've got temporary restraining orders. So upon his arrest they were just hugely relieved. But yeah, he said they had they had fights, and then his brother talked about being afraid of him, and then Dre's just then they'd cut away in the in the Jinks to Durst and Durst observing this in the film, you know, seeing his brothers seeing he's afraid of him, and they're laughing, going, yeah, I don't know why he's afraid of me. He's been afraid of me ever since we were little boys, you know, and it's it's he's a creep you know. And they were Thanksgiving dinner one year, it's like twenty and thirteen or something or twelve. They look up and you know, these people have a lot of money, so they live in the States, so they live in and you know, they own the whole walk up. You know, it's not just one apartment, you know that in Manhattan. And he and he's just standing at their at their window, looking at them as they're sitting at the dining room table having dinner. You know, he's creeped him all out. And he just does that because he likes to. He likes to he likes to get a reaction out of people. So it's a it's a he's a creepy guy. And I'm glad he's behind bars. And if he dies in jail, you know, he may not make it to to l A because he's a very sick man right now. Apparently he's in New Orleans. You know you've been to New Orleans. No, but I know good a boy down there. It's a good. Yeah. The jails aren't fund down, No, that's a whole new world down. So they're not impressed with money.
Speaker 4: Let me ask this question for the authority on all things, Susan Berman and Robert Durst, by virtue of your incredible, inexplicable connection with this story, do you believe do you believe that Susan Berman new you alluded to it just a little bit ago, So I'm fascinating. So did Susan Berman know that Robert, her friend, Robert Durst, had killed his wife? And do you believe that she was the one that made that call posing as Catherine Durst to the dean of the school the next day.
Speaker 6: I think she's absolutely the one who made the phone call. And as far as knowing that he killed Kathy, I think I think she suspected it. If she had any evidence, we'll never know, or if he told her directly, but I think she absolutely suspected it, and she forgave him. You know, she loved him like a brother. She told everybody, and and she would have forgiven him of anything. She knew her father was a killer, and it didn't freak her out. And and I think that that because he was a very loving father, and so she felt he was a loving friend. And I think she would have forgiven Bobby Durst for anything. And I think that's why he kept her around. And along came the second wife, and she was she was the same way, only she was a powerful real estate agent and she just believed everything he told her. And I think she knew a lot. I think she absolutely knows a lot too. But he married her right before, right before he went to trial in Galveston, and everybody says it was because of the protection of marriage. You can't testify against the spouse, and that's why they married, because they never really lived with man and wife. He's a difficult person to live with. So yes, I do believe, and I believe if she didn't know he killed his wife. I think she knew too much and he knew that she knew too much, and that's that was the motive for killing her. And it's a shame, you know, because Susan was she had a sad life, you know, in so many ways, and she was trying so hard to make it, and she had you know, very big years, very high years, in very low years. She went through something like five point four million dollars from the mob and that you could, you know, that would go a lifetime and then some had she invested it because back then, you know, when she was thirty and she got the last payment, that was all a year. Would that have been She was born in forty six, so seventy six, I mean, that's a lot of money, and Susan just blew through it. She wasn't given the tools to live as a child, and I think that's what happened to Durst. Neither one of them, because of their wealth and they never had to work, they never had to have a paper route. Everything was given to them. And then Susan of course did have to make a living later, but she didn't have the tools. They weren't given to her growing up, and I don't think they were given to Durst as well, and they couldn't function and regular, you know, in some ways they were very much alike. Only of course she wasn't a killer, but you know, she was very dysfunctional. I don't think she was sociopathic. He of course is I'm no psychiatrists, but you know it's human behavior. But he's one messed up dude. And but she fell for it all. And what if I think Dan, she would have forgiven him for killing her. I think she would have forgiven him for it, you know what I mean? Because she would have forgiven him of anything. And and and he was a fool because he he didn't he didn't trust his friendship with her enough. And there's no reason to kill her because she I don't think she would have given him.
Speaker 4: Up, you know.
Speaker 6: So that's sort of a Yeah, that's that's the sad part about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well that's an incrediblen too. Yeah, it's an incredible story too that where she starts off with her her father has such influence. I found this one of the more fascinating little antidotes. Was she said to her father, I love Elvis Presley, and if you're such a big important guy, you'll get him to sing me happy birthday. So he did. He got He told Presley to come and sing at her twelfth birthday. If you can imagine that effect, say happy birthday and sign a note tour. Wow. So that's how powerful Davy Berman was at that time, and because.
Speaker 6: Liberazzi, yeah, Liberaci and all those guys, Jack Banny, I mean it was everybody, and you know, she anybody, and then she'd have a limousine come pick her up. She had a friend, only one friend on her street and Pat Bailey, and he's heavy in the book, and I interviewed him at length and he he would get they would get picked up in a limousine to go to her birthday parties. And she didn't have any kids to invite her birthday parties, so her father would invite all his casino workers' families or the executives. All the kids would come. Your kids that she didn't know very well. One of them was Bob Miller, who grew up to be a governor, and he said, well, I only saw her at birthday parties or in the swimming pool.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 6: He was a couple of years older than her, and he became governor of Nevada. But it it and she stayed in touch with him, you know, So it was it was interesting in some ways that life was was very idellic. And they were in parades down you know, down Fremont Street when she was young. But in some ways that harmed her because she never was able to really make it on her own. She wasn't given the tools life tools that you get, you know when you're growing up.
Speaker 4: Well they also by by your books account too, and all accounts. She became more and more paranoid and difficult and had you know, rows with many, many people, and it seemed like Bobby Durst, you know, you can't have any more testament to a certain type of personality when your your family's afraid of you, and your father doesn't entrust you with the with the company because it's to the youngest son, not the oldest son. So both of these people, by virtue of their circumstances their parents dying or in this case Bobby, her mother dying at a young age. All the combination of being spoiled and not having to do some of the things that normal people have to do, they end up inextricably involved. Friends at first.
Speaker 6: And yeah, then just both damage. Yeah, yeah, and I think she.
Speaker 4: You go ahead, oh go ahead, gotty, Well.
Speaker 6: She you know, she's very she was damaged goods. But I think both of them, but definitely Susan and analyzing her, she was stunted emotionally. It's almost like her feet were firmly planted at twelve years old in Las Vegas, and she never could shake it. You know, she never she was always searching for something. She always wanted to write about Las Vegas. It's like she wanted to return. And she'd always tell people you were my father. She never thought her father was famous enough. Well he is, you know, because of her, And now she's becoming a household name. And Susan always wanted to be somebody and be famous, and now she is. And it's interesting that it's because of her death, which had made a name for herself. But she was long forgotten, you know, so you know, in her younger years she'd made a name for herself. But now, of course, you know, she goes down in history. And and but she wanted she thought her dad was such a big person in the mob. But you know, he kept a low profile. You know, it wasn't Tony Spilotro who got killed because he had too much of a big mouth. You know, the mob got got rid of him. But Davy kept a low profile. He's a gentleman. He had a good reputation in town. He was you know, he was a philanthropist. They you know, the mob walked among everybody in Las Vegas back then, and their names were in the phone book and they ran the town. And she was used to that, and she thought he was such a big person and he ran the Flamingo. Why wasn't his name bigger? She'd look him up in books and there's just be a mention of them. So now her dad's famous too, isn't he?
Speaker 4: And so's their good friend and killer Bobby Durst. And it's indicative too of him contacting HBO interest in and immortalizing himself in some kind of documentary. Maybe he can get his dream to come full circle and he can get a movie about himself as well. Maybe he'll get a leading man. Doesn't quite look like he does at seventy two.
Speaker 6: I want Yeah, his ego god in the way? Did it is? Ego got in the way?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Thank God for the narcissism of these people that eventually it's to their undoing. Yes, absolutely. I want to thank you Kathy very much for coming on and talking about Murder of a Mafia Daughter, and congratulations on the re release of that book again with new information and Murder of a Mafia daughter, the story behind the suspicions Robert Durst murdered Susan Berman. Thank you very much, Kathy, my pleasure.
Speaker 6: Thank you, and it's pre selling by the way on Amazon. Thank you very much.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, Kathy, thank you very much, and you have a great night you too, by bye, good night. This episode of True Murder is over, and that means it's time to get free snacks at your door from naturebox dot com with over one hundred options to choose from. Get the bold flavors you crave and feel smarter about snacking. Go to naturebox dot com slash true murder to start your free trial. That's naturebox dot com slash true murder for your free trial of nature Box