Speaker 1: Welcome to the deep dive. You know, we hear so much about the theory of data science, all the algorithms in math. But today we're going to try and pull back the curtain a bit look at the real world. And our guide for this is The Practitioner's Guide to Data Science by Huielin and Mingly. It feels less like a textbook honestly, and more like an insider's view of what it really takes to do data science day to day.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right. What really jumped out at me was how practical it is, you know, how grounded it is. The authors they don't just give you the what. They really dig into the how, things like the soft skills which often get missed, right, and the whole context of the big data cloud environment. Yeah, that's huge. It's really about well navigating the messiness of actual data projects. Okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it seems like they really push for hands on learning. I just appreciate that they've got these R and Python code notebooks all ready to go. You can grab them on GitHub the links http LA three three seven CD four's and they basically say, hey, get your hands dirty, take this code, use your own data to try it on problems.
Speaker 2: Yeah, make it tangible, and that focus on reproducibility using things like Google co Lab. Yeah, that's so important. Now it's not just about following steps, it's about giving you the power to take these techniques and actually build something, apply them to whatever challenges you're facing. It makes data science feel like a real tool you can use, not just concepts.
Speaker 1: The book kicks off with a bit of history too, which I've found pretty useful just for context. It traces things from the early days like least squares, linear discriminate analysis, the real foundations, all the way up to how cloud computing just completely changed the game for data engineering and management. It really shows how far we've come and fast.
Speaker 2: Oh definitely thinking about that evolution the cloud, it's just been massive, a total game changer. Suddenly you have access to all this computing power, storage. It kind of democratized working with huge data sets, you know, and that shifted data engineering. It's less about physical boxes now and more about orchestrating data pipelines up in the cloud. It's fundamental shift.
Speaker 1: Okay, So the authors then break down data science roles. They talk about three main skill tracks engineering, analysis and modeling, inference, So for engineering, it's about building the infrastructure right, the data pipelines, automated collection, managing the data itself, the plumbing basically right.
Speaker 2: And it's so critical you need that solid engineering foundation. Everything else is built on top of it. If your data infrastructure isn't reliable, well, the analysts and modelers, they just can't do their jobs properly. It's often the unseen work, but it's absolutely essential for getting good outcomes.
Speaker 1: Then there's the analysis track. This sounds like it's really about understanding the business side. What's the question, what's the data telling us, and then translating that business need into a data problem you can actually solve. The book really hits hard on domain knowledge and communication skills here.
Speaker 2: Exactly asking the right questions. Understanding the business context is crucial. The analyst is like a translator, you know, bridging the gap between the business folks who have the problems and the data scientists who might have solutions. It's definitely not just about crunching numbers. It's about insights that lead to actual decisions.
Speaker 1: Okay, and finally modeling inference. This is where we get into applying all the different learning methods. Supervised learning like regression and classification for predictions, but also unsupervised learning for finding patterns, and even causal inference trying to figure out cause and effect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the range of tools here is fascinating. You can forecast trends, categorize things, try to understand why something is happening. Each technique gives you a different lens on the data. A good practitioner knows which tool to pull out for which.
Speaker 1: Job, which brings us to the kinds of questions data science can actually answer prediction, classification, optimization like forecasting, sales spotting, fraud, finding efficient routes. But and I think this is really important. The book also points out the limitations. It's not magic, right.
Speaker 2: Being honest about that builds trust, manages xs. Sometimes the data just isn't there, or maybe the problem isn't really a data problem at all. Knowing what data science can't do is just as important as knowing what it can.
Speaker 1: They also talk a bit about team structure, like should you build your own team or outsource, and they stress how vital collaboration is across different departments. It seems like a data scientist working alone probably won't get very far.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely not. Data science is inherently collaborative. It has to be. You need domain experts to frame the problem right, You need engineering support, you need buy in from leaders so the insights actually get used. It doesn't matter if the team is internal or external. Those connections are fundamental.
Speaker 1: Now. The book introduces this idea. I found really neat that the three pillars of knowledge for a data scientist. First, the core analytics stuff, stats, machine learning techniques, the tools. Second, domain knowledge plus collaboration, communication, leadership skills, and the third pillar that's big data management and the IT skills for the modern cloud world.
Speaker 2: Those three pillars really capture how multi fascinating data science is now. You can't just be good at one or two. You really need a solid base in all three to handle complex real world projects. Think about say, predicting customer churn. You need the analytics chops for the model, but you also need the domain knowledge to know which customer behaviors matter, and you need the IT skills to actually get and process all that data from the cloud.
Speaker 1: Okay, then the book gets into the actual project cycle. It breaks projects down by type like offline training, offline application, offline training, online application, online training, online application. It's interesting how the tech needs and the business value change depending on whether it's real time or batch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a really practical way to categorize them. Knowing upfront if you need a weekly report versus say a real time recommendation engine on a website, well that changes everything. How you get data, how you prefit, model, test, deploy. It all follows from that.
Speaker 1: And the book really hammers home the importance of those early stages problem formulation and project planning. They stress using data in the planning, really understanding the business value and why data scientists have to be involved early. It helps avoid solving completely the wrong problem or setting totally unrealistic timelines.
Speaker 2: That's exactly where projects can go off the rails right at the start, spending that time up front to clearly define the business problem, figure out the desired outcome, make a realistic plan. It's foundational. Data scientists bring that unique perspective. They understand the business and what's actually possible with the data.
Speaker 1: And when they talk about project modeling, it's described as very iterative, not just picking a model. It involves all that hard work, data cleaning, wrangling, exploratory analysis to really get the data. Then translating the business problem into stats or machine learning terms. It's rarely finding the perfect model first try.
Speaker 2: That iterative nature is totally key. It's just how it works. You break down big problems into smaller analytical questions, apply different methods. You need feedback, loops, communication, You got to be willing to learn and adjust as you go.
Speaker 1: Finally, in the intersection, they flag a couple of super common mistakes. We mentioned solving the wrong problem, but the second one is underestimating timelines. They say that data exploration and prep, the unglamorous stuff, can eat up like sixty to eighty percent of the total project time.
Speaker 2: WHOA, Yeah, that number really hits home, doesn't it. It highlights all that hidden effort needed just to get raw, messy data ready for modeling. If you don't budget time for that wrangling and exploring properly, your project's almost certainly going to hit delays or worse, you build on shaky data.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's shift gears a bit and dig into some of the more technical details. Starting with data preprocessing. The book spends a good amount of time here, and well, like we just said, raw data is rarely model ready. Data cleaning is usually step one right, finding and dealing with weird stuff negative age percentages over one hundred. The book talks about different strategies like just deleting those rows or maybe treating them as missing values and imputing them later.
Speaker 2: And that's a strategic choice. When when do you delete versus impute? The book suggests if your data set's big enough and the bad data seems random, maybe deletion is okay, but imputation lets you keep more data. They cover simple methods mean median mode and more complex ones like Kenearest neighbors. The even point to the impute function in ours impute Missings package for.
Speaker 1: That right, and that leads straight into missing values generally, which are just everywhere in real data. Again, imputation is key. They detail the basic methods. kNN even mentioned maybe using bagging trees for imputation sometimes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And the imputation method you choose, it can actually affect your model's performance down the line. Like the book says, simple mean imputation ignores relationships between variables and can kind of distort things, especially if lots of data is missing. More advanced methods try to use those relationships to make better guesses.
Speaker 1: Centering and scaling also get covered, basically getting all your variables onto a similar scale. The book mentions pre process in r's carrot package using center, and this is super important for lots of algorithms that are sensitive to how big the numbers are. Like imagine comparing height in centimeters and income in thousands of dollars, totally different scales. Right, some algorithms might just focus on the income because the numbers are.
Speaker 2: Bigger exactly, algorithms like gradient descent, which trains so many models, they just work better, converge faster when features are on a similar scale. It stops variables with big ranges from just dominating the learning process unfairly.
Speaker 1: Okay, Next up skewness and outliers. The book talks about using visualizations, box plots, histograms to spot these, and also statistical methods like Z scores or the modified Z score using the mad function in R. Finding these is important because they can really mess up certain models, like one huge income could totally skew the average and mislead a linear model.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and knowing how different models react to outliers is key. Linear regression logistic regression pretty sensitive based models usually more robust and the book rightly says outliers aren't always errors. They could be real just unusual, so deciding what to do remove transform leave alone needs sought. Maybe domain knowledge. They mentioned transformations like spatial sign in R that can kind of dampen the influence of outliers without removing them.
Speaker 1: Colinearity is another big one when your predictor variables are highly correlated with each other. The book points to find correlation in Carrot for finding these. If predictors are too correlated, it makes model coefficients unstable and hard to interpret, like trying to separate the effect of Facebook AdSpend from Instagram AdSpend if they always move together precisely.
Speaker 2: High multi collinearity inflates the variance of coefficient estimates in linear models makes it hard to see the independent effect of each variable, so you might remove one variable, combine them, or use dimensionality reduction techniques to handle it.
Speaker 1: They also cover sparse variables predictors that barely change across the data set, very low variance, near zero var in Carrot helps find these based on unique values and frequency ratios. Basically, if a variable is almost constant, it's not really helping your model tell things apart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're just not adding much information. Removing them can simplify the model, make it more stable, maybe train faster without really hurting performance.
Speaker 1: And the last preprocessing step mentioned is re encoding dummy variables. That's just converting categorical things like colors, product types into numbers usually binaries, zeros and one so algorithms can understand them.
Speaker 2: Fundamental step for categorical data creates those binary dummy variables so the model can tree each category is its own feature and learn its relationship to the outcome.
Speaker 1: Okay, shifting now to data wrangling, The book really highlights ours deeplayer package for manipulating data. They go through functions like select for picking columns, filter for rows, arrange for sorting, dot mutate for making new variables, and summarize with groupie for calculating stats across groups. They even give a customer segmentation example showing how you'd use these sociatyrize metrics for different customer types like average age, spending transaction counts for say conspicuous versus price conscious customers.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, deeplayer really changed the game for data manipulation and r The syntax just so intuitive makes common tasks much clearer and more efficient. That customer segmentation example is great shows exactly how you use these tools to pull out meaningful insights about different groups in your data.
Speaker 1: They do you give a quick nod to base our functions too, like apply lapply supply, acknowledging that while deeplayer is great, sometimes you need the flexibility of the base functions for trickier stuff.
Speaker 2: Right. Deep player streamlines a lot, but basar gives you that fine grain control for maybe more complex or custom operations. It's good to know both, really, all.
Speaker 1: Right, let's talk model tuning. The book starts with the classic variance bias tradeoff, the idea that a really complex model might fit your training data perfectly low bias, but then it fails on new data because it learned the noise high variance overfitting, while a too simple model won't even capture the basic patterns high bias underfit. Tuning is finding that balance for good generalization.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's like machine learning one oh one, isn't it? But absolutely crucial. You want the model to learn the real signal, not the random noise. Overfitting is like memorizing test answers. Great for that test useless. Otherwise, underfitting is like not studying at all, and.
Speaker 1: Data splitting and resampling are the main tools for managing this trade off. The book talks about the basic train to split, build on training data, evaluate on unseen test data. It also mentions a fancier technique, maximum dissimilarity sampling, using MAXDESEM and carrot. The goal there is to make the test set really diverse, covering more possibilities. Simple random splitting can sometimes give you unrepresentative train or test sets just by luck, which biases your performance estimate. Maximum dissimilarity sampling tries to build a test set that really spans the range of your data, giving a more robust evaluation of how the model might do in the wild. Then you have resampling methods for getting more stable performance estimates, especially with limited data. The book covers cross validation like kfold and bootstrapping. With kfold, you split data into k parts, train on K one, test on the last one, repeat four times and average the results. Gives a more reliable picture.
Speaker 2: Yeah, resampling is invaluable for confidence in your performance metrics. Cross validation avoids the risk of getting a misleading score just from one lucky or unlucky train to split. Bootstrapping involves resampling with replacement to create lots of simulated data sets than training and testing on those. It gives you a sense of the stability and uncertainty around your metrics.
Speaker 1: So how do we actually measure performance? The book says it depends if it's regression or classification. For regression predicting numbers, common metrics are URMC, ROOTMANE squared error tells you the average error size, and ARE squared the proportion of variants explained. Though they caution that high R squared isn't everything, and they mention adjusted R squared, which penalizes extra unhelpful predictors.
Speaker 2: Right armac is nice because it's in the same units as your target variable easy to grasp. Our square tells you how much better your model is than just guessing the average, but yeah, doesn't guarantee it's a good model or will generalize. Adjusted R squared pushes towards simpler models, which is often.
Speaker 1: Good for classification predicting categories. The book gets into the confusion matrix true positives, false positives, etc. N metrics like accuracy specificity, finding the true negatives and the Kappa statistic Kappa using Kappa dot test in rs FMSD package measures agreement beyond what you'd expect by chance.
Speaker 2: Useful, Yet the confusion matrix breaks it all down, not just if the model was right, but how it was wrong. Simple accuracy can be really misleading with unbalanced classes. If ninety nine percent or negative, a dumb model predicting negative all the time gets ninety nine percent accuracy. Specificity Kappa they give a much better picture, especially Kappa accounting for chance agreement.
Speaker 1: They also cover ROC curves and AUC area under the curve using proc dot rock in R that helps evaluate classifiers across different thresholds, and gain and lift charts, which are more business focused. They show how much better your model is at finding positive cases compared to just random selection.
Speaker 2: For marketing campaigns, RC curves visualize that trade off between finding true positives and avoiding false positives. As you change the decision threshold, higher AEC is generally better. GAT and lift charts translate that into business terms. How much more efficiently can you reach your target audience using the model? Very practical? Okay.
Speaker 1: Finally, the book walks through a bunch of different regression models. Start with the basics ordinary lease squares OLS, linear regression covers its assumptions, linearity, independence, constant error variants, normal residuals, and diagnostic plots to check them. Then moves to things like principal component regression PCR and partial lease squares PLS for handling many possibly correlated predictors.
Speaker 2: Understanding those OLS assumptions is so important for trusting the results. If they're violated, your coefficients and predictions might be off. Diagnostics help check that PCR and PLS are eight dimensionality reduction tools, especially when multiicolinearity makes standard linear aggression unstable.
Speaker 1: It also covers regularization methods Ridge, LASSO and elastic net. These shrink coefficients to prevent overfitting handle collinearity, and LASSO can even do feature selection by zeroing out some coefficients mentions in neet angle net.
Speaker 2: From there, yeah, regularization is super powerful for building more robust models, especially with lots of features. Ridge shrinks everything towards zero, last looking for some coefficients to zero doing automatic feature selection. Elastic net is a mix of both.
Speaker 1: Then tree based methods get introduced. Decision trees plus ensembles like bagging tree, bagging carrot, random forests are FING CARROT and gradient boosted machines GBM and CARROT. These are good for nonlinear patterns and handling different data types. Touches on splitting criteria to many information gain and pruning to avoid overfitting.
Speaker 2: Trees are incredibly versatile. Oftent top performers great at finding complex patterns without needing tons of feature engineering. Ensembles like random forests and gradium boosting combine many trees to get even better more stable predictions. Understanding splitting and pruning is key to making them work well.
Speaker 1: And lastly, a quick intro to deep learning. Feed Forward neural networks FFNNs, convolutional neural networks CNNs for images, Recurrent neural networks RNNs for sequences like text briefly covers applications, components like neurons, activation functions, sigmoid or LU layers, optimization, gradient descent ADAM, regularization dropout points to the CARAS package. In art.
Speaker 2: Deep learning has had amazing success, especially with images, language, speech. The book just gives a taste, but hits the core concepts, the building blocks, how they learn how to control them. It's a huge field, but that's a good starting point.
Speaker 1: So wrapping up this deep dive on the Practitioner's Guide to Data Science, it really feels like a valuable bridge. Yeah, definitely. And as you, our listener, think about all this, consider how these ideas might apply to what you're working on or learning about. Maybe you're prepping for a meeting, trying to understand a new area, or just curious that ability to work effectively with data it's just becoming so critical everywhere. Perhaps you're looking at customer behavior or analyzing trends for research. The kinds of practical steps and thinking outlined in this book offer a really solid way to approach those kinds of challenges. Something to think about.