Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on WBZY Boston's news video.
Speaker 2: All Right, em My, thanks a lot. The world is coming to an end. Basically, just kiss you're asked goodbye. That's the way I feel right now.
Speaker 3: How's that? How do we like that to start a show? Rob Brooks?
Speaker 2: How about that? The world is coming to an end? We are going to lead with that in a moment, Mike, We're able to the Patriots, Bert Brie and my buddy. We're going to talk about that coming up. People don't want to be teachers anymore, and quite frankly, we're screwed because of it. Sad day today. Bob Buker has passed away. Just a bit outside. Shaughnessy joins us to talk about that, and we will talk to my friend from California, will tell us about what's going on in California. And also we'll get into some politics with the Great Sam Bethlick Tory Champagne also joining us to talk severance in the SNL movie. But first up, the dynamic duo of Weather, the tag team meteorologist grouping of the century.
Speaker 3: It is Matt and Daniel.
Speaker 1: Noise that is maybe the nicest intro we've.
Speaker 2: Ever had one degree outside dot com? Uh is there organization? And here's the sad thing about it is that we kind of worked together for a while. I had no idea you guys were married.
Speaker 1: Surprise none.
Speaker 2: As I said to my wife, I got that dude, had no shot.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: But anyways, it's like I got when you when you started the company one.
Speaker 3: Degrees and went, oh, they're married. I swear to God, no idea. I had no idea. But good for you is awesome, and good for you.
Speaker 1: For getting out to hear you on the air. Well, I'm glad you're in tonight, Gary. Thanks for having us. It's great to hear you on the air and soundthing. You've got a great show lined up her.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, well we try, you know. So you know, Danielle, please jump in. Don't don't let Matt dominate here. Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 2: But and I do feel And Trump came out and said there's no global warming, which you know, I'm pretty much a pacifist with anything, you know, I don't really get upset about anything.
Speaker 3: It really takes a lot to piss me off, it really does about anything.
Speaker 2: But even I know that global warming is an issue now to what degree.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I haven't researched it.
Speaker 2: But you know, Matt, how bad is the weather situation right now and we're seeing it in California?
Speaker 1: Well? Absolutely, I mean, look, there's no question the globe has warmed. I mean it's irrefutable in terms of the research. Now where what it comes down to, though, right, is that you say, well, how much of that is man made? How much of that is natural? Look, at the end of the day, I would argue that for something like what's going on in LA does it really matter in the moment. It matters overall because we know that we're raising the bar on more frequent extreme weather events. But one of the things that you see going on here Gary is whenever you get a big event, we saw it when we had the hurricane flooded North Carolina. We're seeing it with the fires, the blame game begins almost right away. I mean the fires were still burning and the blame game begins. And so there's really two answers. One is, yes, global warming absolutely raises the bar, changes the game, right, makes the extremes more extreme. But the other answer is natural disasters happen regardless, right, They happened before the planet was warming, that happening now. They may happen more often now, but we have to accept and get to a point where we respond in a way that we understand that nature does terrible things sometimes and we have to band together to make sure that we get through it and learn lessons from it and move forward from it. Climate change only raises the bar And does that make sense?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah it does, And Danielle, it sounds like it. When events like this happen, the climate chain escalates it. Just what Matt was saying, So, like, to what degree do you think like it? Does it exaggerated by thirty percent? Does it exaggerated by fifty percent? I mean, I don't know, you know what, can you put a number on it?
Speaker 4: You know, I don't think you can put a number on it, Gary, right, because you know, so many people are impacted by some of these natural disasters and understandably are going through an absolutely horrific time. And so you know, sometimes folks say both seasons, say oh is this or that or the other thing? The bottom line is too it's a combination of all of these different things, and the best thing to do is to you know, be positive and you know, try to band together when these horrific events occur. So I don't think you can exactly put a number on it, aside from the fact that maybe if they're happening more frequently, you know, these you know, the blaming and the topics come up more frequently as.
Speaker 1: Well, So you know, you can put certainly a number on the increase in the number of intent hurricanes that we see. You can put a number on the increase in the overall cyclone energy that's released into the atmosphere because of storm development. And so what researchers are doing right now is trying to put a number on as many of these things as possible. So you can put a number on the fact that you can look at the months that the wildfire season in California goes and realize that you used to have a wildfire season and now you pretty much have expanded that to the point where it's just about the entire year long. Just like here at home in New England, we can put a number on our growing season and say that we used to have a first frost and a last frost that actually ended up being a month shorter growing season than we have now. So, in other words, Gary, because of the fact that our average temperature has risen by so much, you're able to grow more things and new things than you ever were. But that's because your warmer overall. So there are ways to put numbers on this stuff. It is being done by research. It doesn't necessarily play out in the real world's story and practicality, But yes, you can put numbers on all.
Speaker 3: Of Danielle, is there a solution to what's happening in California? This is a tough question.
Speaker 2: I have no I mean, I don't know, but you know, homes are burning down fire hydrants, and I'm trying, I'm trying to separate fact from fiction, you know, but fire hydrants supposedly were empty. They didn't have proper water distribution, which it's the ultimate second guess right now, but it would seem to me places in California have to make be treat fire like a terrorist like it has to treat the weather like a potential it's an opponent. Are they taking it seriously enough?
Speaker 4: I think they're taking it seriously. You know, you look at something daring a year ago today, just over a year ago, all of California was not in drops. They were dealing with a.
Speaker 5: Record rainfall from the atmosphere river and they had munthlisee and flash flooding and a whole being classed under these mud slides.
Speaker 4: It was a totally different scenario of one eight from one year ago. So you think about you know that there if we were talking a year ago, be saying okay, well, what can we do because this was such a record wet period for California. So I do think, you know, in general, these more.
Speaker 5: Extreme events occur, but it's both ends of the spectrum. Right, It's not just the wildfire when.
Speaker 4: He said it's the wet season. It's these atmospheric rivers, more moisture in the atmosphere. So I think the best way that you know to kind of combat that and tapitle it is to you know, work together to figure out ways that we.
Speaker 5: Can you know, be able to handle these situations and move forward because they're going to keep happening.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a great point, and so to add to that, so what are some ways that you can learn? Right? And so here's the thing is that there are other places in the world, of course, Gary that deal with significant wildfires. Right, we see this in Australia, they have extended routes, they have big wildfire seasons. So what have done. They've changed the building code out there, and they've actually changed it to the point where most of thems and a lot of the buildings are actually built to be fire or target and fire resistance. So when you get fires in the embers are blowing through, there's a much lesser chance that you're going to ignite. Now. Having said that, they also have learned over time that you have to accept that wildfires are going to be a recurring part of existence. But at the same time, you can up the code, you can change the way things are done. It's interesting what you mentioned about, you know, because I saw the exact same things that you saw. Right, Was there enough water? Did you have enough? Was it a piping system? Right?
Speaker 3: Was it all right?
Speaker 1: And one of the analogies I make is to us here in New England. All right, So we haven't had a major hurricane hit New England since nineteen fifty four. Nineteen fifty four, so basically, unless you were alive for that, you've never seen a major hurricane in New England. And it hasn't been a real good strike since the Great Hurricane of thirty eight. What a lot of folks don't realize, Gary, is our own natural disaster here in New England. It's not a question of whether this would happen when it hits, just like in thirty eight when it brought down fifty percent of our white pine trees. When we get hit by the next major hurricane, folks will be it's not a question will be without power for two months. And when folks go without power for two months, the blame game will begin. Is the utility companies aren't ready? Is that you know it'll go on and on. The reality though, Gary, is that with a lot of these events. Look, it's it is something that does destroy the infrastructure, It overwhelms the infrastructure, and we have to be ready for the fact that these things are going to happen.
Speaker 2: Right Joining us right now, Daniel Noise and Matt Noise from one degree outside dot Com. We are going to get to continue this conversation coming up next right here on WBC's Nightside.
Speaker 3: Now back to Dan ray Line from the Window World.
Speaker 2: Night Side Studios on WBZ NewsRadio.
Speaker 3: World's coming to and End World.
Speaker 2: That's what Tangle is saying here, But we have the experts of Matt Daniel Noise joining us from one degree outside dot com. Check them out. They've got a lot aud and great stuff on the website when it comes to weather and various services and if you need some consultants, they are the people for you. So just to wrap up the West Andiel, I'll ask you this question, you know Hindsight's twenty twenty. Is there any way obviously you couldn't prevent a fire from happening, It's I mean, that's impossible. Is there any where you could have prevented the extent of what is happening right now in California?
Speaker 4: Well, Gary, I mean southern California, especially over the last couple of weeks. If there's a weekly drought monitor that comes out, and over the last couple of weeks, southern California has gone into severe and now as of this morning's up the parts of southern California or an extreme drought. So if you think about that, and you know, the dry tinder and all the brush that's around in southern California could certainly take takes you know, even a small measure of cutting some of that back. So you have a little you know, tinder to work with. Once you Santa Ana, winds kick up and that's you know, additional fuel to the fire. Obviously you're going to have the winds, that's number one meets as can't control those weather aspects of it, but you would be able to cut some of the brush and some of those you know, kind of clear out those spots, so that's not additional fuel for the plane, all right.
Speaker 2: So moving on, Matt, what is the most dangerous place in the world when it comes to weather.
Speaker 1: It's a great question. The answers would vary. I would say that if you looked at something overall, you'd probably be looking at something like a Bangladesh, where you're going to get these tremendous monsoonal rains that come in and cyclones that come in and all of that that certainly can be can be you know, a deadly set up. But then again, if you wanted to talk about cold, right, you'd be looking at someplace like Siberia. If you wanted to talk about desert, you'd be looking out across portions of Africa. So it depends pick your poison. At the end of the day, you know, there's a lot of different extreme weather just of all different types. But I would say it's probably when you get into those monsoon rain and tropical cyclone, belt typhoons and all that where you get into some of your kind of a still over all kind of risk.
Speaker 2: Danielle, here's the unpredictability of the weather worldwide.
Speaker 3: Has that increased, you know?
Speaker 4: I would say I don't think it has. Just this kind of two ways to look at it, right, And one way is to say, even in the last five to ten years, technology and weather modeling and the way the forecast has changed so dramatically that we can be very precise in our forecast. That being said, the frequency of these events happen more regularly, right, So I don't think it's necessarily more difficult the forecast. There's just so many more disturbances than storms.
Speaker 1: That's a really great Yeah, that's a great answer. Actually, it's a great way to put it. It's, you know, the events really are quite predictable, which is, to Danielle's point, a great testament to the technology. Right at the same time, certainly when the extremes are rising, the impact continues to increase, and so this is something that you do see natural cycles. Gary, you can go back to the nineteen thirties. We saw major floods in the Yanks River in China. At the same time that we saw the Great Hurricane of thirty eight, we also saw some of our worst flooding in history was in nineteen thirty six. Of course, we had the dust Bowl of the nineteen thirties. We had extreme heat in the United State from the nineteen thirties. So you can nail down these what we call multi decable cycles that over in course of thirty or forty years, you get more extreme weather, less extreme weather. More so we're in a more extreme cycle. And then what you talked about with the climate change just kind of raises the base file a little bit more. I think the more that we can get folks to understand the scientific processes behind these things, the better. There's a lot of as you know, information versus misinformation going on, and the fact that we get it. It's incredible, the fact that we can you know now that we're out in the digital sphere, Gary right where it's kind of like unfiltered. And so we were talking about one of the storms, the mid Atlantic snowstorm that happened a couple of weeks ago and we put the forecast out and it's a forecast for eight to twelve inches of snow. You should have seen some of the feedback we got about how the government's causing this and you're in on it, and you know, it's just because really as a general populace, we don't have a full and complete understanding among the general populations the scientific processes to drive this. So honestly, that's one of the things that we really have set out to do with one degree outside is we want to make sure that everybody has access to understanding the science processes that drive wildfires, snowstorms, hurricanes, et cetera, because that leads it at least leads less to the imagination.
Speaker 2: Danielle For New England, what is our biggest concern down the road?
Speaker 3: What should we be worried about?
Speaker 4: I would say one hundred percent it would be for a landfalling hurricane. I'm probably a major landfalling hurricane to your points now a few minutes ago that we haven't had one and so on. I think that we have absolutely no you know, we can't even wrap our heads around what type of damage we would see with a Cat three or higher.
Speaker 5: Landlawing hurricane here in New England.
Speaker 1: So in meaning what you mean by that makes perfect sense. We can't wrap our heads around it, as people right, but science can't.
Speaker 5: Science can.
Speaker 4: But I just don't think that if you're right, general populist, you know, then really knows what the damage would be like because we haven't had we haven't had it.
Speaker 1: And to put it in numbers, you take a major hurricane, you bring it into into Buzzard's Bay. You will get a twenty two foot wall of water. It will come into Buzzard's Bay, the storm surge will raise the sea level twenty two feet. When the storm makes landfall, there will be entire portions of towns that will be wiped off the map. Along the south coast of New England. We get a landfall, major hurricane. And folks hear that say, and I think it's easy to say that's hyperbole. No, it's actually scientifically modeled. You know, it is what it is. It happened in thirty eight, The same thing will happen again. But we've built, you know, billions along our coastlines for really really rich homes and all sorts of types of buildings along the coast that really raises the risk.
Speaker 3: Well, what about the erosion of the coast is that reality?
Speaker 1: That's yes, that's a reality. It's now look to some extent, erosion has been ongoing for centuries, right, it's what shaped our coastline. But to the other extent, the reality, Danielle, is that we've raised the sea level and that obviously has an imagical erosion that.
Speaker 5: Has a big impact, you know.
Speaker 4: And with the stronger storms you get, you know, stronger on shore wind, you get bigger waves, you get a higher sea level, then that's all contributing to, you know, to the coastal erosion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you gotta figure Gary. You know, we we call the Blizzard of seventy eight our benchmark storm, and a lot of folks will say we've never seen a snowstorm as bad as seventy eight since then. Now, while that is true, when you look at the whole package, we have now bested the Blizzard of seventy eight storm total snow. We have bested the blizzard of seventy eight to twenty four hour snow. We have bested the blizzard of seventy eighths coastal flood level. So we beat that by getting a higher sea level in ours in one of our big storms back at twenty eighteen. Right, So look, we're doing it. We're surpassing all of these benchmarks, even if they're just not all happening at once in the Daniel's point earlier, they're better predicted now, so it's not one of these things where it paralyzes the entire community and leaves people strand on the highway. Because at least you see.
Speaker 2: It coming, you're better prepared for it. Danielle, That's what is there? What is the one thing we can do to protect our environment? Because while I do like Adam McKay has been very active in it, and there has been a call to arms, you know, I still think commercialization industry, the almighty dollar, and I understand it to a point, is always going to take precedent over the environment.
Speaker 3: What is the one thing we can do to protect it?
Speaker 2: Because I do worry about the ozone lever or you know, I worry about all of it.
Speaker 4: I don't think it comes down to I don't think it comes down to one thing, right, But doing you asked the questions, I thought, you know, education, right, and that's just understanding the science behind it. So you know what's going on and then be able to make decisions based on that and not and not be afraid and not have that fear and move forward. You know, when we go over to the schools and do enrichment programs. Is one of the questions that I that I asked the kids that I said, you know, this is climate change and global warming, and I said, you know, let me in throw that question to you, and you'd be surprised that some of the incredible answers, honestly is that these young, little young kids give me in terms of you know, how to protect the environment and simple things that we can do day to day. But you know, when you add it all up, doesn't make a difference.
Speaker 1: That is such a great answer. We're like science soulmates too, you know, because no, seriously, because I was thinking the exact same thing education, because the more that we can get folks, I mean, we have dropped in stem education in our country. We've gone from number one down about number twenty four in the world. And so it's no wonder that there's a lot of scientific things that we as a populist kind of have trouble grasping. So I think the more we can understand about what makes science pick. The more the easier it will be to get folks on board and part of the process to try and make solutions and change.
Speaker 2: So do you guys ever fight, like over high pressure systems or like, you know, over I mean, does somebody have a four camp?
Speaker 3: I mean, there's this is a sitcom, it really is.
Speaker 1: I mean, well, I gotta tell you, Gary, you know, I've learned to write just like any husband knows. It's like any husband knows. Yes, dear, yes, dear. I thought they would be a fut of snow tomorrow. But if you say there'll be an inch, that's right.
Speaker 3: You guys should do a scoreboard. To do a scoreboard on your website.
Speaker 2: You know something, I am dead serious, and it's got to be a I am so that that would be so funny.
Speaker 1: That would be funny.
Speaker 3: It would be hilarious. Sometimes you would agree, sometimes you disagree, you know whatever. Right, the final question.
Speaker 4: I asked, I'm looking on the whiteboard right now.
Speaker 3: Set up a scoreboard.
Speaker 2: So the one thing I want to conclude with, and I'll start with Matt and then Daniel, you can grab it up now. Trump says there's no global warming. You go to the far left and everybody's ready to jump off the edge of the earth.
Speaker 3: Where are we at? Like, what are we doing? Enough?
Speaker 2: Is the ozone eventually going to go away from my great grandchildren?
Speaker 3: What is the real deal?
Speaker 1: Yep? So look, the real deal on this is the global warming absolutely is happening, all right. But the real deal on this also is that whatever solutions we implement and continue to implement are going to have to be done in a way that we're not leaving vast amounts of the population behind. Because I think a lot of what we've seen for political movements over the course of the past really now fifteen to twenty years, goes back to something that was part of a campaign many many years ago about to Americas right. And there's a lot of folks who feel really left behind. And I think it's very hard to tell folks who aren't getting ahead that we're going to go ahead and cut things and raise costs and raise prices so that we can have a cleaner environment. I think that we need to do something together to make sure that everyone is lifted up and carried together. If we expect everyone to get behind the movement of a cleaner, safer, and healthier planet. That's that's what I would start with, Danielle. I don't know what your.
Speaker 4: Thoughts are, you know, I would say, at the end of the day, it's just so simple. But it's like, we have one Earth, right, we have one planet. So to your point, I totally agree with all of that and think that's the best way to move forward. And at the end of the day, it's like, why would we not do things that we can be protect it when we have one Earth and one planet.
Speaker 1: To keep it clean, clean, clean and take.
Speaker 3: You guys, thanks for joining us. We really appreciate tonight and like you've brought a sense.
Speaker 2: Of of reason to what we're dealing with, because when I do fill in for Dan, what I try to do is like, what is where's the story?
Speaker 3: Because everybody is either it's one way or the other.
Speaker 2: You know, it's far to the left, it's too far to the right, it's we're all gonna die or you know, so what is the real deal? So thank you for filling us in on that. Matt and daniel Noise one Degree Outside dot Com. Check it out. Matt, I'm sure you miss getting up at like three o'clock in the morning.
Speaker 3: I'm sure.
Speaker 1: I only miss seeing you.
Speaker 3: You you never see me.
Speaker 2: At three o'clock in the morning, I'll tell you that the noises Matt and Danielle one degree outside dot com, thank you for the world is not coming to an end.
Speaker 3: Thanks guys. Be good. Okay, you got a.
Speaker 2: Burt Brier coming up joining us talking about Rabel in the NFL. At nine o'clock, why is the teacher pipeline drying up? Kara Miller is going to join us
Speaker 3: From the Globe right here on wbz's night Side