Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day, Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: Rarely will we start the hour, really any hour of the show talking NBA. In fact, the NBA rarely gets discussed much at all around here, and more often than not, I do think that the NBA just no longer really is. I mean, it's a me thing. I'm just not interested in the NBA as much as I used to be. But I can't be wrong in viewing the current I guess climate with I mean, anytime there's a story about the NBA, it seems to be a negative one. I mean, the NBA All Star Game was a joke. It's been a joke for a long time. Yeah. But like any big story about the NBA, I feel like, more often than not, is not a good story. And the latest is that Victor Wimbnyama his season is now over with some kind of a rare injury.
Speaker 3: Oh I didn't see that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So Wemby is now out for the rest of the season because he has a blood clot on his right shoulder. I think there was some different different I think shams who broke the story had a little bit more information about the injury, but you know, as somebody who doesn't know much about injuries as far as diagnosing, and really there was a better description of what he has, but I'd say calling it a blood clot is probably the best way to describe it for people like myself who don't really know what the actual injury was. It was something that I probably wouldn't have been able to pronounce. But it sounds like this is the same injury that led to Chris bog having to retire pretty early, which is scary.
Speaker 3: It's like a blood disease or something that Chris bod.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a deep vein thrombosis in the right shoulder that he's been dealing with, and it sounds like they're just gonna sit him the rest of the season because they're that concerned about it. So, I mean, this is somebody that entered the NBA. This is now his second season, and again he's been phenomenal. So because I just don't really feel like I hear a lot about him, I was assuming, well, he must not be as good as advertised, but no, like I just am not key, Like I didn't even notice the NBA All Star weekend was going on till Saturday night. And again that's not because the NBA is doing something wrong as far as me, it's just I'm no longer interested in the NBA like I used to be, and a part of it is just that it doesn't appeal to me. But also like I don't think the NBA appeals to a whole lot of people in my position, because the NBA is super popular with really, really young people. And that's a good thing because those young people, if they end up staying interested and they love it, they're gonna get older and they're gonna be grown ups with jobs and they can spend money on tickets and merchandise and that kind of stuff. But I feel like the people who are really into the NBA, rather it be young kids or even young adults. They can tell you about stat lines, they can tell you about who's good who's not, but they don't watch the product. They just keep up with it. The NBA is in a rare era right now where I feel like the majority of the people who really are talking about it and consuming NBA content that are active on social media talking about it, They listen to the podcasts, they keep up with what's going on, but they don't watch the product like consistently, and part of that I think is because of how the teams are now put together. I mean, it's just not to sound like that old guy, but I mean the competition of the NBA is just gone. And what I mean by that is, again, it hard to put this out there without it sounding like, you know, back in my day, they were real men, and they competed. They didn't want to join teams together, they wanted to beat each other up. Well, but that's kind of what's happened. Yeah, and if you really you know, because it made me sad for a while, but I realized I don't like the NBA like it doesn't. I mean, I'm not anti NBA. I'm not angry about the NBA, but I don't I'm not I'm not a consumer at all. The playoffs when they come around, if my pacers are alive, I'll probably get involved and watch. But like, I don't really care about the NBA in any way, And it's not like something I miss. It's just like that's where I'm at in life. And it kind of made me sad because I used to love the NBA. I loved the NBA before. I love anything as far as sports, and I just don't know if I'm ever going to get back there. Maybe I will when my son is older. You know, he's already he's got some friends and some a lot of my friends kids are older than my son, so they're they're they're, in my opinion, the perfect age for the NBA right now. Kids that are in like sixth grade, fifth sixth grade, like right, they are obsessed with the NBA. I mean there's kids who don't even play basketball, but they can tell you who's on every team, they know who's good. They talk, I mean they play two K like yeah.
Speaker 3: A lot of that's through video games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and a lot of that's you know, I think it's both things. One, that's just kind of how society. Nobody has time to do much of anything anymay I shouldn't say, don't they don't have time. But we're so distracted by everything that we consume a lot of content in very brief moments, to where sitting down to consume a full NBA game when they play eighty two of them is just not realistic. So again, some of that is just society and how we do things. But also I think it's just because it's just not super competitive anymore. But you know, NBA, for me, what really kind of hit me when I was kind of down on the dumps, Like, man, I don't what happened to the old Mark Jackson meme? What happened to the game I love? I mean, and it's that whenever you whenever it's just a known thing that players can play but they're not going to because of load management and rest. That is you telling the consumer of your product that there's not real, it's not competitive, they just don't play because they don't want to. And again, I'm not even making this about a certain guy that has you know, has to rest because of injury. I'm not even making it about Lebron who decided, you know, I'm not going to go in the All Star Game the other night. It's the face of the league or a guy who's been the face of the league for the majority of his career. Yeah, Like so, I mean, whenever, it's whenever I know that these guys are It's not like and I don't. It'd be such a stretch and it would be so out out it would be so unfair for me to say that they don't care about winning, because I don't think it's that. But the overall culture of the NBA is it's just not competitive. I mean, imagine, and I know I hate even making the comparisons to the NFL because it's different. They play seventeen games, the NBA plays eighty two every week. Yes, imagine if an NFL player they just rested him because because you know they could. I mean, you see that at the end of the season when a team has already accomplished so much that they have nothing to gain with the win because of the playoff scenarios. Right, that's a different situation. Right, that's quite literally, like we don't like this is just a waste of time. But really sitting them, you know why you're doing it is because you're that competitive and you know it would be terrible to lose them to an injury when you've got your first playoff game coming up the next week. So like the NBA slowly, I think really told a lot of its consumers, a lot of its fans like myself, that are really in that competitive. Like the culture of the NBA, it lacks competitiveness in every way, from guys just deciding not to play there being eighty two games in a season, them putting way too many teams in the postseason, and having every series now be a best of seven. It's just And again a product of that is when you get to a seven game series and a team is down thirteen in the third quarter, they know they can just put in all the scrubs because they can live to play another day. They're already gonna concede, and you know what that ends up. That's why you got You can have back to back playoff games where maybe the series has been competitive. We're man, we look like we might get a game seven, but the average margin of victory is thirty seven points. It's because it's not competitive, and that's what people tune in. If I tune into a basketball game and I don't really feel like these guys that are out there playing are really really leaving it all on the line because they want to win so bad, why would I care to watch? I mean, why would I give a damn like I you know, I know, I sound like such an old man and get off my lawn. But the NBA, slowly but surely, over time, it's just not competitive. And again, I used to be somewhat maybe not like I wouldn't say that I embraced it, but I was not somebody that initially thought, like the super teams, we were an issue, but really over time, especially when Kevin Durant, I mean he did it, I'm not gonna I mean, he's not the only one, and I don't want to pick on him, but him leaving the Thunder, a small market team that drafted him and really had a I mean they were in the finals, guys, I mean or I guess was at the Western Conference finals Thunder in the West, right.
Speaker 4: Yes, okay, now, they they made it to the They made it to the finals against the Heats.
Speaker 3: The year. That's it, right, that was the lockout year I think.
Speaker 2: And then they ended up making it to the Western Conference finals and loss to the Warriors, and then KD joined the Warriors. That's what happened. So like him doing that, I mean that he's not the only one that's actually he is he's the only one that's done something like that. Because because Lebron doing his super team thing, like when people would make that comparison, it would drive me insane. It's not the same thing at all, Lebron. You know, leaving Miami after going there and giving them two championships or was it three? He got two two titles and then going back to a team that was awful once he left to then kind of start his own thing. Yeah, technically it's him bouncing around doing his own thing. It's not like it used to be where guys would just stay in, you know, in the same market, the same the same with the same franchise forever. But what KD did is he went and joined a team that beat him because he didn't feel like he could beat them with with the team he had. And look, maybe maybe he would have never beaten them, but that's just that the way you're wired as an athlete to go do that. I still think, many years later that that's just a wild move that most guys wouldn't make. And it's just a guy, you know. I used to say all the time. I know, we don't talk a lot about the NBA on this show because a lot of you know, because be fun, to be honest with you, the NBA in this market, we're college basketball market, like, we don't keep up with them that much at all around here. So even when I was somebody that did consume it more than the average person in Louisville and in Kentucky. And I still knew it wasn't something I should spend a ton of time talking about. Well now here I am. I don't talk about it much and I don't even keep up with it. And I went through like a stretch of maybe a year and a half, two years where I was like, all right, you got to get back in, you got to get back in, You've got to get to catch up c NBA. Since I've been a fan of sports, the NBA for forever until I guess the last few years has been something that I at least was knowledgeable of and kept up with and you know, was entertained by it. And now I just, I mean, it doesn't appeal to me. So again, I'm willing to acknowledge some of it is me, but also like, let's be real, like the league is not in great shape by any means.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's also all over the internet too. They agree with they agree with that same sentiment. I mean, look at this last weekend at the All Star Game, and look how they've changed that format so much. I know, the NFL kind of does their thing. It's turned into like a flag football get team Jerry Rice against a team Shannon Sharp. I don't know whoever the hell it was. But now now you got three teams. You got Chuck's team, Shax team, I don't know who the other team is, yor taking timeouts halfway through so Kevin Hart can just get off stupid jokes. And then you got there's no All Stars barely participating in anything. I mean, look at these dunk contest participants, Matas Bizellous from the Bulls, Stefan Castle, I mean, the winner in the NBA exactly, and Mac McClung. He's the last two years he's done it. Hadn't he been on like a different G League teams. It's just ridiculous. And you mentioned it with the star chasing thing like don't mean to sound old men off, old man, get off my lawn type of thing. But back in the day, there wasn't a lot of super teams for them. Guys are actual rivalries and guys like hated each other. There wasn't other people wearing other people's shoes or you know, just dapping each other up after the game.
Speaker 3: Sure that they're.
Speaker 2: Personal because of competitiveness, and yes, all.
Speaker 4: These guys are best friends. They were on the same AAU team, went to the same prep school. They're all best friends.
Speaker 2: Man, you hit it right on the head, man, because when I watched the last dance, and it's not just that, it's also just really and again, there's no way to say it without sounding like, well back in my day, but but it's just true. When I hear and this is this one hits me just because I love the Pacers and Reggie Miller was the first athlete that I ever became like a super fan of. But when I would hear Michael Jordan talk about how much he respected Reggie as a competitor, like they were. They were enemies on the court, but they respected each other as competitors like that, That's what's that mean? Again, this is corny. That's what sports is all about. Like that, the camaraderie that you have within where you're competing with somebody. You may hate them, you may you may not even think that they're a good person, but like on the court, between the lines, like you, you respect them as competitors and you know they're gonna give you They're gonna give you their best, and it's gonna be a tough fight, like they just there's just none of that in the NBA at all anymore, and it just, you know, it kind of makes me said, I didn't hear the full clip, but Draymond Green did a lot of NBA All Star coverage because he certainly isn't an All Star at this point in his career. But him and Chuck were going back and forth and it was really good dialogue. And Charles Barkley said it best. He said, look, you guys, you know, you guys ruined the NBA. Your era ruined the NBA. And he's kind of set it tongue in cheek, but like he was being serious. It was very much in Barkley delivery. And it's not I'm not saying it's specifically Draymond's fault, but yeah, I mean these guys just, I mean, they they they're they're they're all buddies now and and you can still be like buddies and friends. But again, the competitive element is just is it's non existent. And the NBA. Here's what's funny. Every professional sport out there, every professional sports league out there, I feel like, has an issue with trying to make the All Star event worth of damn right, people still tune in enough to where it's still something you should have because you make a lot of money on it. But like every like the Pro bowls lame. I don't even know what baseball does, but it's I mean, it's it's not something the game itself like, it just you know, at.
Speaker 4: Least the game in baseball decides like which at National League or American League wins they.
Speaker 3: Get home vantaged.
Speaker 2: I think they took that away, didn't they what?
Speaker 3: I don't know, that's a good question.
Speaker 2: I think they took it away and then maybe they brought it back. I could be wrong, but yeah, at least there was something on the line, something you could do that would in fact right. But but all that aside. What I was getting ready to say is that what happened this weekend with the NBA All Star stuff is that I think a lot of people, myself included, realized, you know, these things that we're talking about, like what are we doing? They don't even really care. They're not even really trying, Like there's no, it's not competitive. They don't take it serious. To me, a light bulb went off, Wait a second, that's not just the All Star. That's the NBA overall, Like that's what this is. Now.
Speaker 4: You got Chris Paul and Wemby trying to cheat their way out of the skills competition thinking that they're going to win it and that they found a loophole because they don't have to make a shot.
Speaker 2: And that was a terrible look because of what we've just talked about, Like you just don't like it's I mean, some would say maybe that they were maybe that shows that they are competitive, but like you could tell like Chris Paul probably knew that was going to happen and didn't care. And what really I think probably was a sign of this, this this becoming a thing to where we are now that I remember, but I don't remember thinking of it being like, Okay, this is dangerous. But the last time we had legitimate rivalry within the NBA to where like you knew, okay, this is this is there's some real raw tension here was Warriors Calves and you know you had Lebron getting off the plane in an Ultimate Warrior T shirt. Yeah, Stephen Curry for the first time, he's a very professional, very composed, professional athlete. Good dude. Seemingly he loses his cool, throws his mouthpiece, hits a technical, hits a fan. Yeah, I remember that, and he will, you know, he has a pro He walked over apologized. But like there was that was personal. That wasn't just hey, are we going to get another title? It was built up. And what really pissed me off at the time that I kind of just you know, whatever, But I think it was a sign of this becoming what's happening now. Both sides were blatantly too cool to acknowledge that their rivals. You were doing all the rivalry stuff and that's what makes sports great, but Lebron was too cool to acknowledge that it was a rivalry between the Warriors. The Warriors did the same thing when it was quite literally playing out right in front of us, and I, you know, I just remember thinking, like, why would you not embrace that? That's awesome? Like that mean, I mean, that's that's that's rivalry, and there's all kinds of layers to it, but like, that's that's that to me. That's mean, imagine how much different like our us as fans around here, would be if we didn't have a heated rival to kind of you know, go back and forth with and to to know that, yeah, that's one of the twelve games you play in football, one of the thirty something you play in basketball. But man, that one's just different. Like that's that's that's an element that makes this makes us crazy. And I mean that in a good way.
Speaker 4: What do you think about I know a lot of people talk about and let's just say from back in like the Kobe Mellow days, when you go back and watch them of that games are like eighty to seventy. Now they're like one hundred and twenty one hundred. The over under his own games are like sit at like the two point fifty mark, and like you log onto Facebook, you see like a historic performance from Jylen Bronson or something, or if somebody has fifty points and it's like Jordan Poole right, or Cam Johnson has like forty five points. Like fifty point games used to mean something. Oh yeah, now you always see it because everyone's chucking up three point shots and everyone's going to the foul line all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and look, I promise we'll we'll move on from this here soon. But I just I don't know. I I think for those who say, well, you know, you're just an old boomer now, and not that we're getting called that, but I can. I can. As I'm just sharing raw and real thoughts on the NBA stuff. I can hear myself sounding like, well, back in my day, it was better, and everybody thinks their era and their generation did it better than the others. That's a normal thing that that's been around. That's people think about. I think people think of that regardless if we're talking about sports or something else. But for me, every era, in my opinion, in other professional sports, and look, the NFL, you can't compare yourself to the NFL. The NFL is never going to be in my opinion, however, it's never gonna have real competition because it's just different. But there are different eras of the NFL that others think we're better than what we have now. Right Like back in the seventies, eighties, nineties, I'm sure there's different versions, different eras of the NFL that people preferred over different ones, But you know what, they all had a level of real competitiveness. This era of the NBA does not have that. It's not about style, it's not about you know, really anything other than that like, that's what doesn't in my when people talk about the NBA struggling and not being what it wants was, and it's just, you know, it's in a bad way right now. I rarely hear people just bring up the overall element of it's just not a it's not a competitive league. They don't internally take I mean, how many tournaments they're gonna have, they have a Christmas tournament, a play in tournament. I mean, it's just it's nonsense. All right, quick break, we'll come back, keep this thing rolling along. Rippertino said something that I want to talk about on the other side because I think it's a real I mean, it's something that's pretty obvious if you give it some thought. But I'm not hearing many other people say it. We'll get to that next right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to Coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: It's coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Thanks for hanging out with us, Nick Coffee, Austin Montgomery, the Travel Chief taking you up until six o'clock. The Travel Chief's a new name that we're going to be running with Austin and for me, I'm I'm, I'm this is me. I don't sound the same, but you know, it's getting better. Today was a big day for me because I was really discouraged last night because and this is gonna sound so bad, and I know people will not take it, at least I hope they won't take it the wrong way, because I'm really lucky to be able to like do what I do. I don't have to do. I mean, I work hard at what I do, and I love what I do. It is a job. But like you know, for me to act like man the show really took a lot out of me yesterday, Like there's gonna be no sympathy for me, because clearly, like me sitting here and talking for three hours, most people wouldn't call that hard work at all. And I get it, but I do think that's exactly what happened, is that I've been sick and I just been kind of laying low, not really doing much, and then I you know, I gave you all yesterday, guys. Yeah, and it took a lot out of me. So I was thinking, maybe I need to go back to the doctor and figure out if I've got something that they didn't diagnose. But today I woke up well rested and I feel much better. It's just some water yep. Hydration's key, so I feel better. It's it's just the voice. It's you know, it's still not at one hundred percent. But I think we'll get We'll get the show finished today tomorrow, and then over the weekend, I'll have a couple of days to really to more and so recover.
Speaker 4: So your coughing spell is done, right. I haven't seen you cough just yet. You haven't hit that cough button.
Speaker 2: In fact, I'm glad you said that. I'm not sure I've coughed much at all today, So that's a sign that the medicine is in fact working all right. Five two six five three zero seven nineties. The L and N Federal Credit Union text line members get more at ellen N Federal Credit Union Union. You can learn more and open your account today at LNFCU dot com. So we were talking about the NBA just how to me it doesn't have any real element of competitiveness, and that is the biggest turnoff for me as to why I've slowly just no longer gave a damn about the league, and it's I mean, look, they're going to do fine without me, but it just doesn't do it for me anymore. That makes me kind of sad. But somebody in the text line wrote it, wrote a lengthy link, sent a lengthy text in. I'm not going to read the entire thing, but basically, what they're saying is that they're worried about maybe the same thing happening in college basketball because the players. Their point was that the players have all the power in the NBA, which is true, Like you can get out of anywhere in the NBA. I mean, we see it happen all the time, Like the players have way more power than they've ever had in the NBA, and that's not really a new thing. But like Jimmy Butler being able to get his way, you know, be a terrible teammate in Miami and get suspended three times and by the way, the only GM, like if pat Riley is going to concede and honor your trade request because you're acting like such a little baby, I think that tells you that the players are gonna get whatever they want, Like they're gonna get out of wherever they're playing. If they want out, and they'll get what they want. And I don't think that necessarily, like, you know, these players should be like held as prisoners. But at the end of the day, when you get drafted, what they're doing is they're owning your rights, like they own the rights for you to play basketball in the National Basketball Association, and they're paying you a lot of money. So you know, you really shouldn't have just the freedom and technically you have contracts, but man, what are these contracts worth? Because again, guys can get what they want. But the text essentially said that in college basketball it may lose its competitiveness because it's the same thing super teams forming up a guy with a different team every year, just bouncing around to make money and not really caring a whole lot about winning, but caring about getting more money each and every year. I don't think you're wrong in you know, and I guess it's not about being right or wrong. I don't think that's a crazy thing to kind of be worried about. But what I would say, maybe this is just me wishful thinking on my end when it comes to that, I think these guys their ultimate goal is to compete and get to the NBA, and some of these guys know that, Like like, for example, with the maturity that you have with this Louisville basketball roster, I'm sure these guys are still deep down thinking that maybe they could find their way to the NBA, but they also know they'd like like for example, Terrence Edwards, Javon Hadley, Chucky even like I don't think those guys are going to be drafted, they probably know they're not going to be drafted. They probably think that if they had the right opportunity and they went to compete in a workout, they could make an impression. Like I'm sure they're still they still believe in themselves enough to where they could find themselves on an NBA roster at some point, but they probably know they're not going to get drafted. So when you already have that in mind and you kind of are mature enough and you are more realistic with yourself, you know, for you to lead, you know, for your legacy as a player, for your career, your story, You're really going to make your mark in college, not the NBA. So I think there's still going to be a level of competitiveness to where these guys really want to leave a lasting impression as college players before they end up maybe kicking around the league for a year or two, maybe the G League, but then spending the majority of their time as pros if they choose overseas making a living playing the game, which is nothing wrong with that. So I still think that there's going to be a level of competitiveness. And again this just sounds like I'm such a I'm such a homer for college hoops and I'm anti MBA, But I don't think this is a crazy thing to say. And Austin you mentioned earlier the AAU teams these guys play on and they're all with the same shoe company Nike, euy b L, Adidas, whatever. It is, Like, I almost feel like the college is the is the is the area the level of your story, of your journey to where you really kind of got to, you know, either live up to the potential that people have been talking about that you have or you really got to show out to get to the NBA. But once you get at the NBA, you're back on cook You're back on cruise control, just like it's AAU again, you know, instead of you know, play eighty two games in a season of AAU. I mean you probably do, but you know, the too many games in the NBA. It's the same thing in AAU to where they play three in a day, to where none of them really matter. It's just again, it doesn't have the overall competitiveness. And I don't want to when I say that. It's not like I think these guys don't care. It's not that I think that they don't want to win. It's just the culture of basketball is just different. And I think college still has that that element to where if you do want to at least make it to the NBA, you got to have you know, you don't have to have a good college experience. But like, for example, dudes like Dewan Wagner or not Dewan Wagner, DJ Wagner and Aaron Bradshaw, like those guys went to college and now they've shown they're not NBA players like so and I think they're they're Like I watched DJ Wagner last night. He played pretty well against Auburn, at least in the in the action that I saw, so like he's he probably knows, like he's real with himself. I was I was a phenom. Here I am year two of college. I'm nowhere near as good as people thought I was going to be, or probably as good as I thought I was going to be. So I'm going to work like hell to try to you know. And look, he's not going to like DJ Wagner, in my opinion, will never be able to in the next however many years he decides to stay in college, change his situation to where he's going to be a lottery pick like people thought he was going to be whenever he was sixteen and seventeen years old. But because it's all he's ever known, I think he's going to compete and die trying to get there. So, you know, I hear what you're saying. As far as just worried about maybe college turns into the NBA to or instead of these super teams, it's just guys bouncing. Look, guys are going to bounce around. But I think when you when you do join a when you join a new team and it's your third team in three years, like over time, that's gonna be a red flag for certain program, Like that's going to if you're if you're not a an elite player, that really is just such a difference maker for a team, and you're bouncing around and yet you're producing, but yet your teams are kind of whatever. Like for example, I don't want to pick on the guy, but Hunter Dickinson. Hunter Dickinson has been phenomenal as a college basketball player statistically every year he's been in the game all thirty seven years, seemingly, but like what what I mean is he the guy you feel like you have to get He's good, You can be a good he can help you be a good team. He's done that.
Speaker 3: But like.
Speaker 2: Kansas has actually had two really bad years for their standard with Hunter Dickinson. Is this his second or third year at Kansas?
Speaker 4: I think this is his third second now I think he got their last year or is his twelfth? It's true, I mean fear in college. So look where did he start out?
Speaker 2: Michigan?
Speaker 3: Okay, want you want to hear his story about Hunter Dickinson.
Speaker 2: So he was a he was a really really big recruit, no pun intended. I mean he was. He's seven foot tall, but he was. He's by the way, he's seven in two and I'm gonna look it up here. He committed to Michigan and let's see, he was in the twenty twenty class and he was considering Louisville, Michigan, Duke, Florida State, and Purdue, and he really really loved Mike Pageze. Mike Mageze was of course an assistant for Mac before he took over as the interim coach. And I do feel like had Louisville, had Louisville had a little bit more momentum with Mac early, which they did. I mean Mac took over, took him to the tournament the first year, but had Louisville, I don't know. Maybe maybe if if Hunter Dickinson is a year later instead of twenty twenty, I think he probably would have committed Louisville because he was like, he loved Mike Mageese, and you know, he ended up at Michigan with Juwan Howard and they made the They were one seed one year with him there and then really since then, he's been productive, but like his team just haven't been great. And that's not his fault. It's just a sign. And I've talked about this before. You can have a dominant big that produces at a really really high rate and you watch them play and you think, man this guy's special, but you can have that and still lose to anybody. I mean, I don't want to act like big men aren't valuable, but like Hunter Dickinson is statistically one of the best bigs we've had in college basketball in a while, and if you watch him play, you can tell he's really good. But like he can have twenty and eighteen and still lose. I mean, Zach Edy, one of the most dominant college basketball players I've ever watched. He lost to a sixteen seed and he you know, so like you could.
Speaker 3: Tell credit is actually doing well in the NBA.
Speaker 2: Well, I know, and I thought he would be a weapon in the NBA, and but you know, in college he can be that guy. But you can find ways to still win with the big dude going off like that. I mean Oscar she Way of Kentucky, they lost to a fifteen seed and also even in that season, Oscar's both the two years Oscar played there, he would have twenty and fifteen any night, and yet they could lose to anybody. Yeah, I mean that, so, you know, just one just one of those things that like coaches should always prioritize talented bigs. You need good front court play. But it's I think we've had some really really good post players front court guys in college basketball in recent years that nobody would say are overrated or that they're not good. Man Like, they can be really good, but their team just doesn't like you. I feel like, in a different world, if you had a guy that was first team All American and he was playing in one of the best leagues in the country with one of the best programs in the country, and he was getting you know, twenty and ten on a nightly basis, that would mean teams are gonna have a really, really tough time beating you. But that just really hadn't been the case recently when it comes to frontcourt play. All right, let's get to our last break here in the four o'clock hour. We'll keep this thing rolling along. I didn't get to that Rick Patino quote, and I'll save at five o'clock because it's really just a reminder as far as how coaches are going to be building their rosters every year, and I think over time we're going to see that to kind of cut your teeth right and get into college basketball out of the high school ranks, you may be better off going to a mid major. I mean, that sounds crazy, but I think that's going to be a thing within the next five six years. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. Wrap at the four o'clock hour right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: I don't want to overreact here, but I love I love that song.
Speaker 3: Got some Eddy Money.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Eddie Money, the money Man Baby this again. This song is great. Eddie Money's great. Yeah, but this song reminds me of actually a movie we talked about yesterday, Joe Dirt. Yeah, it does because whenever he finally like whenever his story is blowing up nationally, he ends up on TRL with Carson Daley, and that's where, of course Joe Dirt's parents end up realizing that's their son that they just abandoned. But like when he's doing like his his his fame tour, and they're showing all these clips of him, like on these late night talk shows, they're playing that song.
Speaker 3: They play the song in that Oh yeah, I must have been sleeping and I.
Speaker 2: Gotta feel like that might have been the first time. I really hurt. Like there's a lot of songs that were really big in an era that I wasn't around for, but I know them from movies and I'm pretty sure now I gotta look it up. It's totally not relevant at all. Yeah, Eddie Money, Yeah, he's Yeah, they're show I'm looking at it right here. I'm not watching it, but they're showing him again like becoming. There's like a newspaper of the National Inquirer showing him and they're playing that song.
Speaker 3: It's it's Eddie Money. Had a good run, man, Oh dude.
Speaker 4: Me and me and my dad Kirk, we got to go watch him up in probably I think twenty seventeen. It was one of his last shows before he passed, and it was an awesome experience. He was only doing like casino tours at that time. He was probably getting good comps and stuff like that. But he's performing up there with his son and his daughter, and he walked away for an intermission, and I'm not scared to talk to these people, so I asked, hey, EDDI, can I get a picture?
Speaker 3: Well, do you know?
Speaker 4: He peeked his head out, took a picture of me and my step mom. And then later on in the show, as he's about to sing his biggest song, shake and you know you're shaking with the money man, right, His son stops the show says, hold on, dad, and he comes down there and he gives his actual guitar stick to my dad because my dad was talking to him about like, dude, you're torn with your dad. Eddy is a legend. Please don't ever take this for granted. And I think that's stuck with him, and he stopped the show to go hand my dad. The drumstick is pretty awesome. My father will always cherish at mon.
Speaker 2: What a moment. And he did pass away. He was older, but it wasn't wasn't he kind of unexpected?
Speaker 3: I think so.
Speaker 4: But I guess if you're kind of like watching some of his shows around, then you knew that he wasn't probably in the best shape. Yeah, but I mean, I mean it was. It's still a tragic passing. I'll always remember the Eddy Money show.
Speaker 2: And that's cool though, because like you wouldn't know anything about Eddy Money or appreciate any money if it wasn't for your dad, right, Yeah, and that and not only is that a cool thing for you, and your dad to share. But like, shout out to your dad, because anybody, anybody, anybody that's not able to, you know, vibe with Eddy Money, They're they're missing out.
Speaker 3: Dude, what a bunch of good songs.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna have to I'm gonna have to make sure Moose is familiar with Eddie any Money's catalog because it's it's good stuff.
Speaker 4: Two tickets to Paradise, Man, it was just good vibe songs.
Speaker 2: Had a great run there. Shout out Eddie Money.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: Sorry, all right, So, uh this story, this is from w o K. Why this is I cannot imagine being the people in Elizabethtown who had this happen to them, So apparently I'm curious as to how it could even happen. But there was a semi that of course, because of the snow. It slid off of I sixty five in Elizabethtown yesterday and it crashed into someone's home and you can see and I don't know where in Etown you can be that close to the end, and I'm not super familiar with with with Elizabethtown, but I mean quite literally, I'm sending the I'm gonna send you the tweet here Austin so you can reference it. If you guys go to wk whi's Twitter account, you'll see it. It was posted earlier, but it shows somebody's front yard where a tractor trailer semi quite literally just crashed into it. And it shows it shows a bedroom where where somebody, you know, I mean, where they're probably I don't know what time of the day it was, but maybe you're just laying down having a And by the way, it was, I should have mentioned this ahead of time. Everybody was safe. Nobody got hurt, which is great. But just imagine like in your bed, calling it a day winding down. Oh my god, and all of a sudden, oh my god, that's a semi that is crashed into my home, like right into my bedroom.
Speaker 3: What an oddly placed?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, that's my biggest thing is like, how like, how did that happen? I mean to me, it seems impossible and it isn't. Yeah, you said it best. An oddly it's an odd place for a.
Speaker 4: Home that's insane break or breaker won two I seem to have crashed into a civilian home.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It says here that the homeowner, Jeff Collier said he and his fiance were asleep in bed when the semi came through their bedroom wall. It says quote this is from him. He says, she thought it was a train because the train tracks run right down through this, right behind the house, and she thought a train was coming through the house. And sure enough, I looking at the pictures, I can see why she may think that, considering that there is train tracks near. But no, it says that there were driver. There was two semi trucks by the way, and again they were taking to the hospital with minor injuries and everybody was okay. But yeah, if you think you had a rough day because of the snow, imagine being woken up at night because a semi drove through your bedroom. So clearly some damage there. I'm sure the insurance companies will get it sorted out for these folks. But man, that's just just the visual of that is crazy.
Speaker 4: What they're like an old Stephen King movie Maximum Overdrive. You ever watch that movie about the demented eighteen wheelers. Good lord, that's nuts.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm trying to think of what I would do in that moment. I would just assume, well, this can't be real, right, there's not a semi in my bedroom.
Speaker 4: I would tell them that. I would signal them to do the honking thing where you tell them.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm just thinking, like, because my kids go to bed sometimes in bed with the wife, just to get them. I mean, in fact, sometimes they still sleep in our bed, which is not something that you know you want. But I'm sure if you have kids, you've probably had a stretch where you realize your kids are probably old enough to sleep in their bed, but they just have kind of made your bed their bed. But I can just see Moose running to me. I'm in the recliner, Dad, Dad, A truck just crashed into our bed. Son, No, And then I walk in there, sure enough, you're right, son, that's a semi. That's an eighteen wheeler. That's you know, a couple of inches away from the bed where you sleep. Sometimes that's insane, crazy stuff. All right, it's five o'clock hour. We're gonna get crazy. I don't know if we will, but we're gonna try. We're gonna have some fun. We'll finish strong on a Thursday. Keep it locked right here. It's coffee and Company Fieldbeth Thornton's on sports Talk seven ninety