Speaker 1: Welcome to the Nightcap a seven hundred WLW for this Tuesday night, October eighth, twenty twenty four. Gary Jeff, welcome by your side between now and midnight. And I think we've got a pretty fine show, and that starts always at the beginning. Apparently for some reason they won't let me start with the end of the show because that would be a much shorter show and much less work for me. But let's get started anyway. We have Hamilton County Chairman Judge Russell Mock on to talk for today the first day of voting in the state of Ohio, and so people are already casting their ballots. Let's talk a little bit about who Russell Mock, Judge Mock thinks you should be casting your ballot for and what issues you should really care about. And I think the first thing, good evening, Russells by the.
Speaker 2: Way, good evening, Gary Jeff, thanks for having me on.
Speaker 1: Sure And the first thing you would tell people is go all the way through the ballot, just don't check a box for the president and forget about the rest. Right.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, it's so important, especially for Republicans in Hambleton County, to devote all the way from the top of the ticket all the.
Speaker 4: Way down to the bottom of the ticket, since we.
Speaker 3: Have a lot of important local races that I want to talk about. But you know, today was the first day of early voting, October eighth, and I fulfilled my commitment.
Speaker 2: I went this morning and I voted. I got it out of the way, and.
Speaker 3: I voted all the way down the tickets, and I looked for a lot of success coming out of these local races, and certainly the state wise as well.
Speaker 1: I have heard that, especially now, the push for the first time took you guys a while to catch up. The Republicans are pushing for vote early if you can. And the reason for that is so the resources because apparently you guys know who has voted among registered voters and who hasn't. Is that correct?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, so we can check the voter rolls on a daily basis. We know that over seventy thousand ballots were mailed out today since today was the first, the first ballot, and actually there were more Republicans registered Republicans that requested mail in ballots this year and then previous and so in actually more than the Democrats, which I think is fantastic and so it's working. You know, it's okay to vote this way. President Trump thinks it's okay. We need the banker votes. Two things, One, you're right about the resources. We can allocate our resources to pushing out voters that don't usually go out to vote in these close election years.
Speaker 2: And we can.
Speaker 3: Also, you know, you never know what's going to happen on election days. You can get sick, something can happen, you know, maybe even a snowstorm November here in Ohio. But you want to get out and bank your vote early, and I did that this morning myself.
Speaker 1: All right, let's talk about the important races for Hamilton County. I would say, outside of the issues, the number one place you're looking is the Hamilton County Prosecutor Melissa Powers. Judge Powers is running for that on the Republican side. Why Judge Melissa Powers over her opponent, Countie Pillage.
Speaker 3: Well, I have to say Connie Pillage is dangerously unqualified the whole disposition of proskan attorney.
Speaker 2: And I'll tell you why. Number One, she's never.
Speaker 3: Prosecuted a single case.
Speaker 2: In her entire legal career.
Speaker 3: And more telling, she hasn't even been in a criminal court room in over twenty years. And probably the most shocking point is she actually had let her law license lapse and had to re up her law license just so she could actually run for this race. You know, I think that's dangerously unqualified. You know, I don't know you, Gary Jeff, but I certainly wouldn't take.
Speaker 2: Off in an airline in an airline.
Speaker 3: Plane with a pilot who's never landed a plane. And this is just way too important of a position to do that. When you look at the difference of the qualifications between Melissa Powers and Connie Pisher's, it's no contest.
Speaker 1: Well, let's talk about Melissa powers qualifications real quick.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: I mean, Melissa Powers has been a judge on.
Speaker 4: Two courts, the municipal court as.
Speaker 3: Well as the juvenile Court. She was a tough prosecutor that worked her way through just about every division in the prosecutor's office. When she's here, and since she's been here now for the year and a half, she's done a fantastic job. She's heard thousands and thousands of these cases, you know, and she's doing this for the right reason.
Speaker 2: You know, Melissa.
Speaker 3: Powers, Judge Powers had put her time in She retired I think she had twenty six days of retirement before she you know, heard the calling to service again and came out to take this position. Because she's doing this for the right reason. She's doing this for public safety. She's doing this because she's born and raised.
Speaker 4: In Hamlet County.
Speaker 3: She's raised her family here, her grandchildren are here.
Speaker 4: And she wants this community to be safe.
Speaker 3: She's doing it for the not for the right reasons. She's not doing it just for another political.
Speaker 1: Plumb okay uh. And it's important you say to as you go down the ballot to vote for the rest of the judges that are running on the ticket. And it's so crucial. We've got judges who are totally incompetent sitting on benches or running right now. And for public safety and for justice, you got to look at the judges you're electing.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, And you know, I encourage everyone to go to gop.
Speaker 2: Judges dot com.
Speaker 4: Gop judges dot com.
Speaker 3: We have a list of our seven very qualified local candidates as well as our three Supreme Court candidates.
Speaker 2: You know, the majority of the.
Speaker 3: Conservative Ohio Supreme Court is up is it again this year, and so we have to make sure that Obviously, Joe Dieters and Megan Shanahan are well known around here. But we also need to make sure that Judge Dan Hawkins from Columbus, that all three of those Supreme Court Republican justices are elected because we need to keep the conservative majority. I'll tell you things going on around locally. I know from the Proscuter's office they're having to appeal more and more cases to the High Supreme Court because of liberal and left leaning judges on the Court of Appeals and on the bench here, and so we need to make sure that we keep control of the Ohio Supreme Court.
Speaker 1: And District one race. Let's finish with the District one race for the House of Representatives. Tell me real quickly about your candidate, Russell.
Speaker 3: Well Orlando Sianza. Doesn't get much better than this. You know, West Point grad military officer CPA, you know, lawyer, assistant prosecutor.
Speaker 2: Now he runs the VA.
Speaker 3: You know, it's clearly more qualified to lead oh one in Washington. You know, his principles aligned with us. He has shown a vision for the future. And if anybody watched either of those two debates with Creig Landsman, I mean it was hands down victory for Orlando Sanza. So you know, I'm really excited about that race. You know, I think we can restore When Orlando Sanza wins District one, We're going to restore integrity back into that district.
Speaker 1: Judd Russell mock, Chairman of the Hamilton County Republican Party. First day of Ohio voting under way tonight and the race is on thirty days. Buddy, have a great evening and good luck because I'm pulling. I'm pulling for the best for Hamilton County. Great.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Jared Jeff I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: And make sure everybody goes out and vote and also vote no on Issue one.
Speaker 1: Thank you, all right, thank you, sir. Don't wake up Tanya. She used to be a troubled sleeper. Now she starts a morning with me. Mike McConnell gets the latest news, weather, traffic, financial news, and more.
Speaker 5: Hey, aren't you Mike McConnell, No, you're just dreaming.
Speaker 1: How about dream Mike giving me a BackRub? Dream Mink's gonna have to pass on that feet Dream Mike is leaping now, John, Me and Mike mcconald Tomorrow morning at five on seven hundred ww we'll.
Speaker 6: Hear the radio ads about the irs. They tell you to be afraid to be scared, and they try to frighten you into calling.
Speaker 1: Ah. That blue moon of Kentucky is shining in the Commonwealth, and there may be sunshine in North Carolina today tomorrow, or in Georgia or any of the other parts of Appalachia that were so hard hit by the remnants of Hurricane Helene. As another hurricane is barreling towards Florida right now, and the relief efforts have been really outstanding from the private sector and from groups like the American Red Cross and Samaritan's Purse Matthew twenty five ministries here locally in the Cincinnati area, and there are all kinds of angles to what people need who have lost everything. A man who has a keen interest and focus on musicians because he loves music so much and knows that so many of these musicians in Appalachia, along with their houses and everything else they own, they lost their instruments too. He is the host and founder of the Wood Songs old time radio show Radio Hour Rather that you will see on public television on stations including the KET Network in Kentucky and on the radio, Michael Jonathan joins us for a few minutes to talk about his particular focus of interest in providing relief to the musicians in North Caro Line in those places that have been so devastated. Michael, good afternoon, and good evening, and welcome to the Nightcap here on seven hundred WLW. How are you.
Speaker 7: I'm good, and thank you for having me. It's an honor to talk to you.
Speaker 8: And I know the station has a huge audience and you're a popular voice on that station, and I appreciate you giving a time for an effort like we're doing well.
Speaker 1: This instrument drive that you've launched for the victims of Hurricane Helene. Your goal is to collect at least one thousand musical instruments to donate to the musicians in hard, hard hit areas. And well, it's hard to think about the practicality of getting back to any semblance of normalcy right now. A lot of these musicians, I mean, they do this for a living. This is how they earn, you know, if they ever have a roof over their heads again. And God's help and with the help of all these other volunteers and donations will get them restored more quickly rather than slowly. And that's our prayer, Michael, So tell me why you decided to do this and how people can help. Sure.
Speaker 8: You know, when the tornadoes ravaged Tennessee and Indiana and Western Kentucky, I saw Governor Bursheer on television.
Speaker 7: And very emotional, and he said, you know that.
Speaker 8: The camera lens is not wide enough to take in this destruction.
Speaker 7: And I found I found that very moving.
Speaker 8: So we collected and delivered over a thousand instruments for the musicians of Western Kentucky and Tornado Alley and we delivered them all for free. And then when the flood ted Appalachia a year later.
Speaker 7: We did it again.
Speaker 8: Because the musicians of the mountains, you know that this is their this is their this is their.
Speaker 7: Heart and their spirit.
Speaker 8: You know, at first when a disaster hits, you know, they're worried about their car is gone, their home is demolished.
Speaker 7: They don't know where their family members are. They can't get online, there's no communication.
Speaker 8: There's no cell phones. The business that they used to work at is gone. They don't have a job anymore.
Speaker 7: Banjos and guitars are not a priority. But when it fall, when this subject falls below the fold, so to speak.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 8: Other things happen, and all of a sudden, Helene becomes a you know, Milton may be overtaking Helene here in a day or two. You know, there's there's an election coming up. They're going to be forgotten. And this is when wood Song is going to step in for the third time. We're gonna collect over a thousand instruments. We're going to give them to these musicians for free. Why Because Appalachia, to me, Gary Jeff is the It's it's the comfortable rocking chair on America's front porch. Oh, that's what the Apalachic That's what the Appalachian region is.
Speaker 7: And I believe in the spirit of the front porch.
Speaker 1: I believe what.
Speaker 8: You're doing right now with your voice on your show, getting the word out for things that can help. And so we appreciate you very much.
Speaker 1: Well, no, I appreciate what you're doing as well. Michael. How you came to be such a lover of folk and roots music and came to be so associated with Appalachia and Appalachian music is kind of a neat story in and of itself. You grew up in the Hudson River Valley in New York and you live next door to Pete Seeger, and you didn't know he was a famous folk singer? Is that right?
Speaker 7: I had no clue.
Speaker 8: He was just a very nice older guy claimed to be a musician. But he played the banjo, and to us rock and roll teenagers that unless you can plug it in, it's not a real instrument.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 1: So this one goes to eleven, Yeah, the old final tap. Right.
Speaker 8: So when I realized who he was, I said, Pete, I just found out you're Pete Seeger.
Speaker 1: You're this famous guy. I want to be a folks singer too.
Speaker 7: What do I do? And he he.
Speaker 8: Told me to move to the la I moved to Mousey, Kentucky, in Not County, Kentucky. I went up and down the hollers with my guitar and band for two and a half years, knocking on doors, had all these wonderful front porch hoot nannies. And that's what gave me appreciation for not just Appalachia, but this the root spirit of America's soundtrack, and that is the guitars and the banjos and the mandolins and the fiddles. And that's why I created the Wood Songs Broadcast. We celebrate, We celebrate the music of America's front porch on Wood Songs.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I know a lot of people, and I gosh, how many years has HA been going on, Michael, Because I would think I've been tuning in on and off to Wood Songs Old Time Radio Hour on TV. You know, I'll just be I'll be hitting a channel guy, and oh oh that's that's cool. Check that out for a bit.
Speaker 7: There it is again right.
Speaker 8: Last night, Gary Deiff, we taped, We taped show number one thousand and twenty six, Congratulations night.
Speaker 1: So it's been it's been around for.
Speaker 8: A while, and it airs in one hundred and seventy seven nations on terrestrial radio all across America, from from Australia to Ireland, American Forces Radio Network, Public Television, the RFD Television Network.
Speaker 7: And it's all built out of love. You know, love is the greatest transaction.
Speaker 1: Of the arts.
Speaker 8: It's not money, it's not corporate sponsorship, it's not record labels, it's love.
Speaker 7: Everything starts in the garden of love.
Speaker 8: With music and art and wood Songs was built that way because it's all volunteer run. Even the artists who come on the show, they're not paid a penny. They pay their own travel to get on the broadcast. And we're taking that thing that love built Wood Songs and we're using that platform to help these other musicians, in this case, the musicians of Helene.
Speaker 7: And look look at what happened.
Speaker 8: I mean, Interstate forty and Tennessee is destroyed.
Speaker 1: I can't use it.
Speaker 8: Interstate twenty six in North Carolina is broken in half.
Speaker 7: And when all of this is said and done, these.
Speaker 8: Artists are gonna want me to know that they were emotionally cared for.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's what the music, that's what the music instruments.
Speaker 1: Are the most crucial part of all this is how do people help?
Speaker 8: If they'd like Michael woodsongs dot com, go to woodsongs dot com. If you have a playable, good condition instrument banjo, guitar, fiddle, mandolin, keyboard, trumpet, horns, flutes, harmonicas, go to woodsongs dot com, click on the Helen artwork that's right there on.
Speaker 7: The whole page, and we'll tell you how to do.
Speaker 8: If you don't have an instrument and you feel like you can help us rent the box trucks and stuff we need to collect. These drop from the drop off centers from Beacon, New York, to Ronalginia.
Speaker 7: To Bristol, Tennessee.
Speaker 8: I mean, they're coming in everywhere, and we got to pick them up and put new strengths on them and polish them up and get them ready.
Speaker 1: You can make a donation if you want to do that as well, all right, Michael Jonathan, thank you for your time, and God bless you for your efforts, and thanks for letting the music continue to play even in the most dire of circumstances.
Speaker 7: You know, joy is a wonderful thing in a world that's not.
Speaker 1: Feel Yeah, boy, And I'll tell you what.
Speaker 8: I appreciate your your giving us attention absolutely.
Speaker 1: Michael Jonathan from wood Songs Old Time Radio hour Woodsongs dot Com to donate to the Hurricane Helene Musicians Fund, just another way to help people recover from something that nobody expected and very few have seen before. Michael, thank you again. Take care. It's the night camp and it continues in mere moments here on seven hundred WLW News.
Speaker 10: Traffic and Weather News Radio. Seven hundred WLW Cincinnati.
Speaker 11: Getting out of Milton's way with the nine point thirty report. I'm Shaan Gallagher breaking now right now, millions under evacuation orders in Florida's Hurricane Milton brings the potential for a possible deadly record storm surge of fifteen feet.
Speaker 12: County is offering buses to help take people the shelters. We spoke to some families here who rode out the storm during Hurricane Helene, but this time they tell us they are evacuating, not taking any chances with the potential threat of a fifteen foot storm.
Speaker 11: Sirch ABC News is with Johnson and Tampa Bay. Hurricane Milton expected to be a category three when it makes landfall along Florida's Gulf coast either late Wednesday night or early Thursday morning. Late this afternoon, it did regain strength, becoming a Category five hurricane again in the warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico. Now the latest traffic and weather together right now, taking a look at the major interstates and highways. Not seeing any new reports of accidents.
Speaker 10: Now the latest forecast from a train heating and cooling weather center on news Radio seven hundred wl w hetting.
Speaker 13: You on Wednesday morning, It's going to stay clear, cool. We'll see a seven am temp forty six, mostly sunny, a high as seventy four. At night it stays clear and a low of forty nine. From your Severe Weather station, I'm nine First Warning Chief Meteorologist Steve Rawley. News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 11: Radar is showing a clear sky. It's fifty four degrees. The National Transportation Safety Board giving an updates today after You're a medical helicopter out of northern Kentucky crash while responding to a cardiac patient in Owen County late Monday afternoon, killing all three crew members on board. Senior Air Safety Investigator Brian Rayner on what led up to the accident, For lack of a better way.
Speaker 14: To describe it, he was doing an orbiting reconnaissance while he was waiting for equipment and people to be in place in the LZ itself.
Speaker 11: And it's believed the helicopter hit a guy wire that caused the crash. Those three killed identified as Gail Alman, Bethany Aiken, and James Welsh. The investigation is still ongoing. Following Monday's voter registration Deviline, Ohio today began early in person voting at county election boards. This will continue over the next several weeks in the lead up to election Day, November fifth. Hours this week eight am to five pm through Friday, the same hours next week Monday through Friday. Voting by apps and tee ballot also began today in the Buckeye State MLB postseason Game threes in the National League Division Series, the Mets defeating the Philly seven to i this evening in New York as they take a two to one lead in the best of five series. Game four set for Wednesday afternoon at five oh eight. The Mets look to advance to the NL Championship Series. Game three between the Padres and the Dodgers, currently underway in San Diego, and right now in the bottom of the second ending of the Dodgers' lead, wants to nothing that series tied at a game apiece. Our next update is at ten o'clock. I'm Sean Galviager. News Radio seven hundred WLWN.
Speaker 15: Seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati, available everywhere with the iHeartRadio app down number one for podcasting seven hundred WLW and iHeartRadio station.
Speaker 1: As millions of people continue their attempt to recover from Mother Nature's raft in the aftermath of Hurricane Helene and another major hurricane, maybe the most powerful one to hit the west coast of Florida in one hundred years, barrels down on Tampa and all sites past that, the whole coast. We're wondering about FEMA's response, and we don't have to wonder very long when you've got a FEMA that is so cramped and dictated by DEI, as we saw in that webinar video of a trainer telling them that the Lgbtqia community needs to be helped first in the time of a natural disaster because they've already suffered enough because of their sexual orientation. You know, if you're not gay, wait for the next teleicopter. I'm sorry, we have to pick up the lesbians first. It's just and me saying that is not homophobia or hatred, it's just reality. We're talking about individuals. Each human life is precious and should be tended for or tended to by the agency that is supposed to help out people in times of natural disasters, and that would be FEMA, and that's their only job. It's not to resettle migrants in New York City, or spend one point four billion dollars of original funding that was supposed to go to FEMA on that. It's not DEI, it's not anything but a relief agency. Michael Lets from invest USA joins us for just a few minutes to talk about FEMA's failures so far and under the current administration. I don't think it's going to get any better your thoughts, Michael.
Speaker 16: No, yeah, it's certainly not.
Speaker 2: I fact, we just.
Speaker 16: Got a briefing from my people that are actually all on the ground there. It is worse, much worse than we've done it. We've been there for some time. But here is the situation.
Speaker 2: Gary.
Speaker 16: You're talking about hundreds of miles of territory.
Speaker 17: You're talking about in.
Speaker 16: The mountains, so you have valleys where most of the settlements are at, but people are spread out all over and nobody's being able to get to them. I FEMA has tried, you know, they activated the eighty second Airborne eight days ago and stood them down. They actually sat at hotels for eight days. They just now have author as their release and now they're unsure as to what they were to do with them. Well, here's the problem. We have had State Guard units and National Guard units from South Carolina, Florida, Georgia and others that have come to an assist.
Speaker 4: But now you have a.
Speaker 16: Second hurricane making its way towards shore off Florida, so you have to recall those units to bring them back to the states that are fictioning to get hit again. So, FEMA, at anytime you should be female stepping up double instead of sitting back. It says if nobody has any common sense in this administration.
Speaker 1: Bengo, you don't know what to do, Bingo, I mean you're trained for see. This is this is again what I'm telling people about the election. Michael Lettz. If you fire the Biden regime, and that's Kamala Harris and Joe made it perfectly clear last week. She's been a part of everything they've done. I'm much to her chagrin, I'm sure. But if you fire them, you also fire may Orcus. You fire the head of FEMA, You fire the head of whoever is sitting in in secret services. You fire the Department of Energy, You fire which is unnecessary anyway. You fire Pete Buddhajeedge, who's been awful. You fire Gina Romundo, the Secretary of Commerce, who is clueless apparently from all the interviews I've seen with her. You fire all these incompetent people and you get some people who know what to do from the get I mean, yeah, there are things that happen in natural disasters that no one can predict. But you've got to be ready. And it's obvious that FEMA, because of their leadership and because of the people who are currently controlling FEMA from the White House and DHS, have no clue.
Speaker 16: Oh, you're right, they had actually include just like in fact, I thought it was shocking hear that. You know, all the money is of course, they argue, the White House has been arguing me, this is this is disinformation. They never spent a dime of money on illegals. It's a matter of semantics. It's this administration of this administration alone, who suddenly decided under FEMA that helping illegal immigrants was part of emergency management assistance, and so to cover their ass they decided to create a separate account, and they move it back and forth. So now they didn't take it out of the main account, they'd already moved it over to the other account. Billions of dollars for illegal immigrants. They said the first account didn't have enough. Now we just discovered this morning there seven billion dollars that they were holding back looking to handle for additional illegal immigration situations that they weren't accounting for. So how do you have anybody in control or in charge there, Well, they don't even know what their own resources are.
Speaker 1: Well, again, it's a matter of the whole ideology that's at the head of this snake, Michael. Just over the weekend, Kamala Harris is in North Carolina and she met those affected by Hurricane Helene and helped to assemble relief kits with volunteers for the photo op of course, But then she says in a post, I am concerned about the security and well being of civilians suffering in Lebanon and will continue helping to working to help meet the needs of all civilians there. While Americans, thousands of Americans, maybe millions, are wondering where their next clean drink of water is coming from. She's worried about the civilians in Lebanon. What happens to America first when people like this, incompetent, people like this are in charge. We're seeing it we're seeing it. We're seeing it in real time.
Speaker 4: Michael, you really, you really are.
Speaker 16: I think that is what has American people so outrage is that you would take billions of our assets. It's not theirs, it's our casting send it over to people who hate us.
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean.
Speaker 18: I promise you there may be a few people that like it to leve it over. They're a vast majority. They love to see you, dagny. The same way with Ukraine. They appreciate your deeals, but they don't want you coming over there to live. They don't care for us.
Speaker 16: And yet then we have American citizens who have paid into the system and dire need of help.
Speaker 17: The reports I got back.
Speaker 16: A few minutes ago, we're talking about maybe six months before we can get these people in an electricity that's no water, that's no sanitation, that's nothing for these people until we can get power restored it maybe six months.
Speaker 4: We don't want to do anything.
Speaker 16: We want to say, we don't have enough money to help them, We don't want to send anybody. We want to stand down our troops just make sure now, just in case.
Speaker 4: We don't want them to get any more help than we think it absolutely necessary.
Speaker 16: I think part of it, Gary, is it happened to hit the area that is most predominantly Republican in the southeast, and they don't want to do a thing to make.
Speaker 4: Sure those people can get to the polls and go.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, unless you can convince them that your gay, lesbian, or trans and maybe FEMA will step up her tell me about invest the USA real quickly. As we close this out talking with Michael Letts, well.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much.
Speaker 16: Gary. I will tell you this, we're having to sip up to the plate because here's what happens with the hurricane. Saltwater destroys concealable best all in Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, and you know, because heavily moisture like that. So we've got a ton of officers that are now without protection. Believe me, they're still doing their job. They don't care, they want to, they can't to say to these people. But as then coming on to us, I think the rest of the country to say, look, administration is scroogia that we have. We're still your brothers, we're still behind you, and we're going to get to this together. So anything they can do to help provide best for these officers for down the road is greatly appreciated. Go to our website ww dot I n the eest USA dot org show your support, show your support for those that are indeed right now. God bless you for what you're doing. Gary, God bless America together. This is going to be a better country because of people like you and Michael.
Speaker 1: You know that the help couldn't come any quicker because Hurricane Milton, as you know, is bearing down on the west coast of Florida right now, and we're exactly we're still left with this god awful mess in North Carolina, Georgia and other places. Michael Letts from invest USA on the Nightcap, we'll talk to somebody who's in the eye of the next storm. In just minutes.
Speaker 6: We'll hear the radio ads about the irs. They tell you to be afraid, to be scared, and they try to frighten you into calling I'm not here to do that.
Speaker 1: You know, it's always nice to have a correspondent on the scene when any big news story happens, and it's nice to have Lewis Kaplan too. The Nightcap and we continue as Milton bears down on the Gulf Coast of Florida, setting their sites on Tampa and then across the state at like one hundred and fifty miles an hour right now, still a couple hundred miles away, expecting landfall sometime tomorrow or tomorrow night. Meanwhile, people are evacuating large, huge evacuation zone on the Gulf Coast of Florida, where millions of people have been asked to leave their homes and their businesses and come back later to hopefully something that's left. The storm surge looks like it's going to be absolutely devastating to Tampa Bay in that area because it's so low, so close to sea level that you know, even a twelve to fifteen foots storm surge can be devastating. I have a friend of mine I've known for well longer than I care to tell you, who's on the phone, who lives in Fort Myers, Florida, not in the evacuation zone, but Lewis Kaplan. It's great to have you along for the ride for a few minutes tonight as Milton comes calling your way. You are, you're an old hand at at hurricane preparation and dealing with these kind of storms. You live in Florida, so that's what that's what you get. But you've been shuttering your house even though you're not in an evacuation stone. It doesn't mean that you're not going to get hit hard. You've done this so often that you're you're like Tim the toolman Taylor as you prepare your house, aren't you.
Speaker 4: I've definitely gotten my practice in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're not.
Speaker 4: Our house is not in an evacuation zone. But uh, Zone A and Zone B in uh in Lee County here are evacuation zones. In fact, two days ago they told people in Fort Myers Beach get out where they would turn it off the water and they wanted they had a mandatory evacuation for everybody on the island. Uh, Santa Belle Island as well, really up and down all the barrier islands, up and down the coast. Are are expecting a lot of a lot of storm surge. And this is a monster storm. Uh, it's really it's really frightening.
Speaker 1: Yeah again, do you ever get used to this? And you've you've seen enough. When was the last time you guys had more of a direct hit where you are.
Speaker 4: Lewis Well IRMA was a was a direct hit and that was in was it five years ago? Six years ago? And uh and then Ian was not quite as a direct to hit, but it came with a ton of storm surge. And then the storm that just came through Helena. Even though it wasn't a direct hit here, there was a lot of storm search here as well. Some parts of our Barrier Islands got hit harder from that storm than it did from eon Ian, which was a lot more direct. So this has been a ton of flooding and the people on the beaches really they've really taken a beating the last few years.
Speaker 1: Well, they said, in a storm like this, the storm surge is actually the deadliest part of it, especially in a lower lying area, because there's just nowhere for the water to go. And you've already had an inundation of rain there with Helene, and with just the fact that you live in Florida, you've had a lot of rain. There was a mayor of some town I forget where it was said two days ago, get out or you will die. No equivocation on this at all. I mean you need to leave because of otherwise you're going to be dead. I don't think that's Yeah, I don't think that's necessarily hyperbolic either. They're they're trying to save people's lives.
Speaker 4: It's not it's it's it's not fluff.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: There's there's a saying here that's, you know, hide from the wind, run from the water. You know, most of the houses here are built to a stand quite a lot of wind. But there's nothing you can do with with you know, five ten foot of storm surge. It's just going to consume everything in its way, houses, people, whatever. And you know, I think I think right now they're looking at four to seven feet of storm surge here in Tampa Bay, they're looking at ten to fifteen feet. So this is this is I mean, this is going to be every every bit of what we saw a couple of weeks ago up to the up in the northern part of the state and then into North Carolina in Georgia.
Speaker 1: Well, and this is the biggest storm predicted to hit Tampa in one hundred years. So this is a hundred year storm. This doesn't occur every hurricane season in Tampa, that's for sure.
Speaker 4: No Tampa. Tampa's actually been you know, pretty lucky. And I think one hundred years is about right. It was in the nineteen twenties that that Tampa got hit with their the last big storm. But you know, people are taking it very seriously. You know, in the news here, you know they're talking about the storm, but they're also talking about the traffic of people just you know, running inland getting away from there from the beach homes. So the good news is people are taking it seriously because it's a serious storm. It's time.
Speaker 1: So in the aftermath of these storms and you have dealt with that, what is the first thing that people need when they come back? I mean, what's usually the scenario for Okay, okay, now, now after the storm, after everything's broken, what do I fin fix first? What? What is your first priority after the storm has passed, just just assessing the damage or what.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it all depends on where you are. It's you know, if you're on the beaches, you know, sometimes it's just you know, salvaging, you know, what you can of what's left. Uh, sometimes there's nothing left and and and sometimes it's just all a big wet a big wet pile of sludge. There's no telling that. You know, people are dealing with wind problems, they're there are roof problems. Uh, and then and just total total loss and devastation, which you know we've we've been seeing on the news for the last few weeks. It's it's been NonStop and and we're going to see it again. It's it's unfortunate, but this is this is an incredibly huge storm.
Speaker 1: But Florida is more prepared than a lot of other places because they're the most prone, they're closest to the storm and this is where it comes. So sure many times the people of Asheville, North Carolina, Chimney Rock, North Carolina, and these these mountainous Appalachian villages that were just in the valleys that were just ravaged by all this water. I can understand maybe not being prepared there, But you guys, I mean, the state of Florida does a pretty good job overall, don't they.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think they do. And and also, you know, the topography in in Florida is more is more beneficial to us when there's a storm like this. You know in the in the Carolinas where you have all these mountains, you know, all that water starts running down and it finds its way to people. Uh, it gets a lot deeper when there's you know, when it all funnels into one place here, you know it's sandy, things drain fairly quickly.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 4: The trees are are are made to withstand a lot of wind. You know, a palm tree with stand you know, tons of wind, but an oak tree is gonna fall. So you know they're they in North Carolina, they were dealing with with things that they're not supposed to deal with exactly. So that was that that was just catastrophic. Well and this one, this one's supposed to just kind of rip right through the state and then head out into the ocean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not gonna it's not gonna hover overland a long time or anything else. Well, listen, are certainly our prayers are with you and everybody else down there in the eye of or in the path of Milton. And uh, I always thank you for being my voice on the Florida Gulf Coast because you know better than anybody what these storms can do, and you've lived through them, and I know you're going to live through this one. So God bless you and we'll talk to you soon. Lewis capl And in Fort Myers, Florida, as they prepare for Hurricane Milton. Good Old Milty, Not so much. The Nightcap continues, news, traffic and weather.
Speaker 10: News Radio seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati.
Speaker 11: Preparing for what could be a once in a century storm. With the ten o'clock report, I'm Sean Gallagher breaking now as millions in Florida evacuate. Hurricane Milton forecasts to be a Category three storm and to mix landfall late Wednesday night or early Thursday morning near the Tampa Bay area regained strength and the Gulf of Mexico late this afternoon becoming a Category five hurricane once again, with wind speeds up to one hundred and sixty five miles per hour. Deadly storm surge of up to fifteen feet also anticipated. Governor Mike Dwine has deployed forty members of a construction and engineering unit out of the Ohio National Guard to Florida ahead of Milton. Ohio Task Force one now shifting its operations to Florida. This after the state's FEMA certified search and rescue crews completed their operations in North Carolina after Hurricane Helen came through, leaving devastating flooding. Hurricane Milton extend at the Hurricane Center extending storm Surgeon Hurricane warnings in Florida and Georgia to to Milton. Now the latest traffic and weather together and right now taking the look at the major interstates and highways.
Speaker 9: No new accidents Now the latest forecast from the Advanced Dentistry Weather Center. Advanced Dentistry, the judgment free dental experience you've been looking for, No fear Dentist dot com.
Speaker 13: As we head to our Wednesday morning, it stays clear, cool. We'll see a seven am temp forty six, mostly sonny. My high seventy four at night stays clear and low of forty nine from your severe weather station, I'm nine first Warning Chief Meteorologist Steve Rawley News Radio seven hundred wl W.
Speaker 11: Clear and currently fifty three degrees. It's ena facing multiple charges after allegedly stealing a vehicle and getting into what became a fatal crash. Just after seven to thirty this morning, Green Talenti Police tried to pull over a vehicle report it's still one out of Cincinnati, when they said the driver later right fin as a fifteen year old mail intentionally swerved and hit one of their cruisers. This letter were brief pursued as they lost sight of the Honda CRV, but later found that the team struck two other vehicles in the twenty three hundred block of North Bend Road and then fled on foot. A twenty eight year old man and one of the vehicles died from serious injuries after being taken to UC Medical Center. A sixty nine year old woman in the second vehicle head injuries said of being on life threatening. The suspect will be found and arrested, initially charged with receiving stolen property forlonius, assault on a police officer, and failure to comply with the signal of a police officer. The Cincinnati Police Department's Traffic Unit is investigating the fatal crash and the subsequent charges stemming from it. Early in person voting started today in ohio A County election boards ahead of the November fifth election. This will continue in the week's leading up to election day hours this week through Friday eight am to five pm. Next week it will be Monday through Friday, with the same hours. Change is already coming into the wake of Terry Francona's introduction is Bread's manager Monday, The club today announcing that hitting coaches Joel McKeithen, Terry Bradd and Tilamont have been fired. Our next update is a ten thirty I'm Sean Gallagher, who's Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 19: He are you tired of living with chronic pain, knee pain, joint pain. It's time to get the relief you deserve without going under the knife.
Speaker 1: Think it is another edition of American history on the radio on the Nightcap on seven hundred WLW, Gary Jeff Walker. You know, over the past months, even over the last year or so, I have been interviewing people in this profession who work in the business that I do because I respect them and their reputations in their careers speak for themselves. But tonight I am letting them speak for themselves once again. And our guest in the spotlight is the one, the only, Eddie Fingers, who was co afternoon host here on seven hundred WLW, but for years was the captain in chief of what was called the Dawn Patrol on Web and Eddie Fingers, welcome to the Nightcap. It's great to find. Like GJ it's great man. I wanted to add here for a long time I had your partner, Rocky Boyman on a while ago, because this is.
Speaker 19: A guy who's got oh jam Milk an hour out of that guy. He's been on radio for about ten minutes.
Speaker 1: But I combined that with his football career there and his current football you know, career and everything he does his political career. So there were a lot there was lots of material fodder there with Rocky, but with you, it's just enormous. We could sit down for probably two or three hours. You said, before we sat down for this, you were on the phone with one of your perpetrators at the down Patrol, Bob Barry, producer Bob.
Speaker 19: We all keep in touch. Yet I love that guy. Well, look, you know him as well as anyone you work with, the bushion and h he's a different cat. You know what could you say?
Speaker 1: I don't know what kind of species he is, whether it's a cat or something else, but he's definitely different. And he was screwed up before he fell and hit his head roll hard at Symphony Home big time.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I want to go back. I want to start with where it started for you.
Speaker 19: I will tell you, man, when I was a kid, I had I think I was in third fourth grade and it was my birthday and my Mom's like, what do you want? And I said, I like a tape recorder, and so I I just wanted to fidget with it, you know. And I never thought about getting into this as a as a career, but I played with and I've still gotta. I guarantee you, if I dug hard enough, I could come up with some of those tapes me interviewing my grandma.
Speaker 1: They were totally they were totally disintegrated.
Speaker 19: Yet I would guess they probably have but if I could find them right exactly, you interviewed your grandma When I was like eight, I recalled doing that and uh and it which is something and my brother, my brother and I would pretend we were just shockis and we would the DJ was on Wing Radio in Dayton, Top forty and uh so the DJ would be talking.
Speaker 1: Up you know. Do you remember who it was? Who the DJ was?
Speaker 19: The mojo man, Steve kirk oh Casey Petrowski.
Speaker 1: I worked with Kirky well, he was actually retired when I worked in Dayton for the ten months I did before I came here, and was one of the less dudes I ever met and one of the guys that was instrumental in bringing the Beatles to the area. But anyway, so but that was it, you know.
Speaker 19: And but we would we would let them talk over the beginning of the song. It'd be in the background, so we'd be talking up the record and then try to hit the post and hold the microphone up to the radio and play I want to hold your hand.
Speaker 1: Or whatever that one want. You know, what is synonymous in almost all of these interviews that I've done for this particular topic, Eddie, is that all of us either did that with tape recorders or built our own little radio stations that maybe went five hundred feet to whatever John records Land Decker's shotgun time. I did it when I was like twelve years old. I was in this special education class for good kids who'd gotten a's through the year in summer school, and one of the projects was building your own FM transmitter. Damn. But everybody that I've talked to who's a lifer in this business started out doing exactly what you just said. It's amazing, yeah.
Speaker 19: And it was just something that, like I said, me and my brother and I just thought it was fun and cool. Never in a million years thought I could do this. I mean, I grew up blue collar. I'm sure you did as well.
Speaker 1: Blue collar. Kamala Harris came from a middle class family. There you go.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 19: I think we were middle middle class. I mean, boom. You can't get more middle class, right, And you know my parents both worked for GM and Dayton, which was a giant gmtown back then.
Speaker 1: Yes it was.
Speaker 19: And if you could get a good GM job, man, you were set.
Speaker 1: You had the pension, get your.
Speaker 19: Thirty one out and retire at fifty five. And I had done well in school and stuff. So they wanted me to go to college. No idea what I wanted to do. And this is sad, I had to say. Man, but I I thought, I'm going to go to pre med at Ohio State and be a dentist because I thought, how hard can that be? You really, dude, I was seventeen years old. Was an easy path, I thought, seventeen by easy path to wealth? I'm like, hell, so what you look? People said, Okay, that needs filled, come over here and do that.
Speaker 1: Well, actually I need some work done. Can you help me?
Speaker 19: Fortunately I did. I didn't pursue that path. Yes, but I a girl. I went out with a high school her brother was friends with a guy from UD who they had a radio station back there in WVUD, which is where I ended up working. And I was like, you know what, guy who's on the radio.
Speaker 1: That's cool.
Speaker 19: And I go home and tell my mom and dad, Uh, remember the dentist thing, scotch ned, I want to be a disc jockey.
Speaker 1: How did they react? How did they react? How do you think?
Speaker 16: Well?
Speaker 19: They were well, my dad was like he looked at me like I've grown another head. It was like, you're going to do what now? And my mom was like, let him do whatever he thinks he can do. Blah blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: So mom was on your side.
Speaker 19: Mom was on my side because what they both my parents they never finished high school. So the fact that I was going to go to college, they were like, well, he must know what he's what he's doing, because he's smart enough.
Speaker 1: To go to college. Yeah. Well, obviously as always want their kids to be better than they were and right, so sure.
Speaker 19: So then I because I thought, I don't know how you felt about it when you were a kid, but I thought radio announcers, TV stars, movie stars and stuff. I thought they came from a special. They grew on someplace. Oh, we're definitely special people. Ay, there's no.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 19: I was like, I'm not special. What the hell those guys are good? My god, there, I'm mutant.
Speaker 1: I've known you for thirty years.
Speaker 19: You're definitely special, special at I've heard that a lot any But anyways, so I go to school, the UD And here's how dumb I was. I didn't even know that. And I grew up in Dayton. I didn't know that the University of Dayton was a Catholic university.
Speaker 1: That meant nothing to me.
Speaker 19: The Jesuits must have loved you absolutely, And I go and so, you know, my first week of school, I was living at home and my mom's like, so, whoa.
Speaker 1: What's it like there?
Speaker 19: And I said, what was kind of cool because there's all these priests and nuns that are coming back and apparently advancing their education. And well, I was talking to one of the one of my friends at school and he goes, dude, you do know this is Catholic university And I said, I don't even know what that means. So you're on WVUD, Yeah they have. I was like, they have a radio station. That's all I care about. Well, I wasn't yet because I the first day I walked in there and it's like, you know, you got to work your way into it. Sure, I mean, it couldn't have been second day of school.
Speaker 1: And uh.
Speaker 19: And I walked into the office and like when do I start? I'm here, I'm here, the one you've been waiting for. I am now entertained me and they were like, okay, cool. And so I ended up working in a carrier current station w SB and for you know what I carry, yeah, yeah, you do. But for people who don't, it was just on the campus, right, you had to have your radio plugged in. It came through the outlet, your scrawl outlet exactly. And I was doing one to three in the morning one Sunday morning, and that's where it all started.
Speaker 1: They gave you the prime shift, right, I know.
Speaker 19: Right, that's how I'm going kicking ass man.
Speaker 1: So when did this evolve into an actual career? Then? How long were you there? And what was your first professional paid job.
Speaker 19: That would have I worked at VU after I got on VUD. Eventually I worked there for two years and then I got hired at SAIFM here in town, which is ninety four to one. I don't even know what that is.
Speaker 1: Was it an album rock station? At the time, it was Ebn's competitor. What year is this seventy nine? Nineteen seventy nine, the year I graduated high.
Speaker 19: School, and they I first came in just as part time filling. I was working at a record store to fill in the gap, living with my girlfriend, who, thank god, got a job as a dental hygienist.
Speaker 1: So I was like, you still had that dental connection.
Speaker 19: Absolutely, maybe it was what attracted me to it, and so I did that for a little bit. Then they fired the production director and said can you do production?
Speaker 1: And I was did you have any idea?
Speaker 16: No?
Speaker 1: What productions?
Speaker 19: I mean I had done stuff, you know, I cut tape and stuff in college.
Speaker 1: Yeah. This is another thing that people don't understand today, with all the technology we have at it is that back in the day when we started, there was a reel to reel machine. There was a splicing block, there was a grease pencil, and there was splicing tape. And that's how you did edits, and that's how you put commercials together.
Speaker 19: You got your razor blade. The way you went unless.
Speaker 1: You were good enough to be a one take jake all the time, or you weren't editing concert spots or record spot I remember a sixty second record spot. Used to take me an hour to do in the production room, now because I was slow. It's just it was a painstaking process. You didn't have the punch it in digital technology or computers.
Speaker 19: Then, well that's what kills me. There are kids these days, but it is digital editing. I don't know how to do it. I ain't gonna lie to you, but it's so much easier than what we used to do. I mean you could, I would, and you've done this. You would take a piece of tape and set it to the side, yes in case you needed it later, absolutely, and then.
Speaker 1: Put it where you needed it because you would find that you had made the edit at the wrong place correct, or you had omitted something that was essential to the piece of production you were working on. Yeah.
Speaker 19: Absolutely, So I started doing that and got fired after a year.
Speaker 1: You're not really a professional in this business until you've gotten fired. I believe that.
Speaker 19: And they said they were eliminating the position. I'm not sure about that long story. They were eliminating you, They were eliminating me. They said, we're just getting rid of that position. I was like, no, you're firing me. But luckily I got a job at a production agency. At agency not too long after that and worked there for a year. It went bankrupt, So you can see I was on a.
Speaker 1: Roll success everywhere he walks ladies and gentlemen. Now I've got to ask you, and I know most people believe, and it may be true, that your name is actually Eddie Fingers. Where did Eddie Fingers come from? Because I can tell you the Gary Jeff story if you want, if you oh, absolutely full honesty, but yeah, I was.
Speaker 19: I was in Cleveland and the guy was like, we don't really like your real name. It was like okay, he said you got a name and I said no. He goes, We're going to have a staff meeting next week and talk about it.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 19: So he caused me a couple of days later and said, all right, we got two names for you, Eddie Fingers or Woody Fingers. Yeah, that's that's what That's exactly my reaction. It's like, what are your fingers? I was like, man, that sounds like Pinocchio's brother or some such.
Speaker 1: So how long are you in Cleveland. Then is this before you went to Cincinnati.
Speaker 19: Before you came This was after the agency closed. I got hired in Louisville to work part time, and my old buddy Tom Owens you remember.
Speaker 1: I remember Tom, I was I was here when was.
Speaker 19: Yeah, And so I worked there for a few months and then I got a call from Cleveland or O. Buddy Allen Cells said hey, we're looking for a guy up here, and I'm thinking about quitting, so you see if you can get my my job. So I went to Cleveland and worked for about five or six months, and guy by the name of Mike McConnell that sounds familiar, Yeah, called Cells. And I answered the phone because I was living at his apartment. And uh, I'm like, hey, buddy, what's up. I'm just calling Cells. I need some I need a midday guy down here. And I hear he wants to leave Cleveland, and I said, well, you know, I'm available. Just basically said, had you known Mike prior to this point? Yeah, we went to college together at U D.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Okay, and so you've heard that Christmas story too many damn times. Oh absolutely, anyway, go ahead, No, but that was it, and so move back down here. And he he said, what are you going to do about your name?
Speaker 19: Because I was only I was doing production and I was going to do a couple hours on the air to day, and I said, I think I'm going to go back to my real name. And he said, man, you know, keep the Eddie Fingers thing. Nobody else is doing that.
Speaker 1: And what's a cool air name? I love it? So where was this that you ninety six rock? At ninety six rock? And that sets up the radio wars of the nineteen eighties. Perfect, and it's a perfect time for us to go ahead and take our first break. Excellent. We have another segment with Eddie Fingers and yes, that might be his No it's not. It's the nightcap American history on the radio. Eddie Fingers in the Spotlight tonight on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: Men over forty five.
Speaker 19: Do you have a frequent urgent need to urinate or a week flow? Do you suffer from an enlarged prostate or BPH?
Speaker 1: Know your options if BPH medication. When we last left Eddie Fingers and the story of his radio life, we were at ninety six Rock. Eddie Fingers, Welcome back into American History on the radio in the nightcap, and so you're at ninety six Rock. What year is this?
Speaker 19: This is eighty one, eighty May of eighty two, eighty two, okay, and McConnell was running the place. Alsells came. McConnell's then wife, Mary Cuzon was doing mornings and she was pregnant and I was doing production and ninth I think noon to two. It's kind of like and so that happened. That lasted for about a month, and Mary, as I said, was pregnant and she was out walking her dog and another dog. A long story, but basically a dog tackled her and blew up her knee. Oh she's like five months pregnant, say, and just ran right through her leg, absolutely destroyed it. And so McConnell comes to me and he's like, man, I need you to cover the morning show. And that's when I was young and dumb, and I haven't learned much since. But he uh, he goes, just fill in for a couple of days for me. Man, I really need you. I'll cover your show in the afternoon. I was like, whatever, I'm going to bet about that time getting up at six, Come on, and uh, and I never left mornings.
Speaker 1: Huh. So you're doing mornings at ninety six Rock and then what happened to lure you to w EBN and the Don Patrol, Like I said, the radio wars of the nineteen eighties in Cincinnati and well you guys, you guys, ninety six Rock and EBN are button heads.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 19: Well, I did the show by myself for two or three months, I think, and I went off of it, and McConnell by that time m one O five, where I'd worked in Cleveland, had disbanded and they went country or hell, I forget what they did. And so the morning guy there, a guy named Marty Sobele who became Marty Bender, was hired to do mornings, and mcconne was like, work with him for a little bit, you'd be his it was going there and be his partner for a little bit and then we'll go back to the way it was. And I said, fine, So Marty and I started working together and it jelled and a jail Yeah, well I've always said that Marty pretty much, I didn't know how to do mornings, and Marty pretty much I just learned from watching how to handle all of it. Then we were doing all these service elements with traffic and that type of thing, you know, helicopter traffic, which was cool. We had Mad Dog Mike and John Phillips and those guys. They became characters on the show. And Marty and I. He basicly he had a weird sensibility about him. So he was like, I got this idea, let's do this thing, and we're just gonna improv the whole thing. And I was like, okay, sounds fun and that's and that's what we did. And so that lasted for three years, and I foolishly wanted to get into programming. I wanted to be program director of the radios. Yeah, that's a bad move, big time, big time. And so the program director was fired and Marty was much more qualified to do it than me, and it pissed me off that they were going to give him the job over me. And it was about that time that I got a call from bow Wood to he tried to hire me to go to Louisville to do afternoon Drive and be music director, right, which I thought, okay, that's kind of management, and so I went down there. I took Mike mcconnall with me, and we drove around and listened to the radio station and he and I went out to lunch and I said, what do you think? Because I was ready to take the gig, and he said, do you really want to make a side move sideways? Move to Louisville? I mean, Cincinnati is a bigger market. You're kind of you know, you're right on You're knocking on the door, you know. Because he was already at l W by the and uh so I had to go back to Boatwood and say yeah, because he totally thought he had me. And I said, I, uh, I'm good, I don't I don't want the gig, and he's and he was pissed, and I said, uh, I said, hey, you ever want me to come over and work with your sister in the mornings, I'll be glad to do that. A couple of months later, boom, it happened.
Speaker 1: It happened. So regardless whether it was Louisville or Cincinnati, bow would wanted wanted you to work for him, and you eventually did.
Speaker 19: Yeah, he wanted one of us off of the competition because uh, bendro and fingers were starting to breathe down the don patrol sneck a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you come to work at w e v N in what year is this now? Eighty four eighty August of eighty five, and you already have a set kind of morning show there. Robin Wood is there, It's been there, Craig Copp was Bob Berry there yet.
Speaker 19: No all right, while man Walker was just starting to come into prominence, and they had Craig Copp at brick Bird doing doing the news, and yeah, it just kind of took off from there and then like joke, I can't even tell.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 19: Who who is the morning show in Louisville at QMF down there, Oh geez, you know what I'm talking about? Yeah, and I can't think of their names. Yeah, Terry, Terry Miners, yes, Terry Mine. I forget the other fellow's name. I think I unfortunately passed. But they did a joke of the day and that was both station down there, and he said, I want you guys start doing a joke of the day. So we started doing joke of the day. Well, he he said to one of the females who worked in the station who I happened to be involved with. Yes, we were out to lunch one day and she goes, you know, I was I was talking overheard bo saying that the joke of the day, isn't it cutting it? You guys got it's got to be picked up a little bit. Yeah, And I said, what do you mean minute? He said, I think I got the impression he wants dirtier. I said, okay, we can. I definitely got this. And uh so the next day I told you again, I wish I could even kind of tell you that right, talk around the edges of the joke, but I can, And but it was right there, tip to it over the line, It was probably over the line, but nonetheless, So the same lady a little a little later on sees me and again on lunch and is like, he's pissed.
Speaker 1: What right? Exactly? I just did what he asked you.
Speaker 19: I just I just did what he wanted.
Speaker 1: And but the thing was, he didn't tell you that directly. It was from a conduit, and it may or may not have been from bow Well.
Speaker 19: But the but the thing is that so became kind of a hallmark.
Speaker 1: And it was.
Speaker 19: I realized that from again my time of working with Marty and improving and all that stuff. Sure that the more and you know that, man, the more over top you are with some stuff like this, go for it.
Speaker 1: We know it. And it's a template for what I do every Saturday morning. One of the most popular segments on my show is the but I Call from Wally, which is basically a joke of the day and I eight thirty five. People are locked in. They know. And that's the thing. It's that time stamp. It's that benchmark that people get. Okay, I'm going to tune in for this and it really works. Appointment radio really works. Your first fireworks, your first TV in fireworks, Tell me about that.
Speaker 19: Well, the first the first time I announced it. Yes, the first couple of years, I mean I wasn't I wasn't allowed on the area yet. I was getting sued by Randy Michaels for breaking a contract at ninety six, okay, and he was just mucking He was just mucking up the works because he you know, he was he already knew that he and bo were teaming up. Sure, so he was just like, I was gonna screw it with Poe. So I couldn't talk on the air for the first month I was there, and the next year we had boomerissiasin I think, and the year after that it was Sam Kennison, Oh wow. And the year after that Tom was like, you're going to do the fireworks this year. And I got to be honest with you, man, I was scared to death. Scared to death still to this day, Eddie. There is something about being in that place, in that crowd, in that electricity, in that environment that would scare anybody to death. You're standing there with a half a million people, half on one side of you, half on the others. But the biggest event is the city has every year and you're in charge of getting it all started. That's that's remarkable. I mean you're looking at a kid who used to be scared less to go wep in front of a class and give an oral book report standing in front of a half a million people. Yeah, so over. It took me a couple of years, but then then I look forward to it. It was fun, sure, you know. Well the party the Barley Corns boat was the best. Oh you were there, yes, I was.
Speaker 1: I mean just the fact that people after two or three hours were still climbing the stairs to the next level and able to do it. Amazed me. Yeah, no, I'm sitting here. I've had enough free booze and food. I just want to see the fireworks and go home. There was when Kennison did it. I was in the men's room when he I walked in as he was standing in the middle of the men's room doing coke off of his thumbnail and and one of the owners of Barley Corns walks in and he's, look, you can't do that. You cannot do that. He's like, you already did. And later he was with his girlfriend at her twin sister who were porn stars. They had one of their Their little brother was with him, and he was about thirteen, and he's sitting there drinking like gin and tonics and stuff.
Speaker 19: It did not go well.
Speaker 1: It is it is the primary cocktail for most thirteen year old right, exactly, A respectable.
Speaker 19: I hope, what with a quality jin Let's let's do some just word association.
Speaker 1: Ye, first thing that comes to your mind. You don't have to elaborate. Robin Wood, lovely, Bob Berry, funny, wild Man.
Speaker 19: Nuts nuts.
Speaker 1: Okay, I still talk to wild Man, so yes, I would agree. I would concur Rick Bird.
Speaker 19: Great guy, just smart, smart, as a whip.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I remember drinking many a lunch with Rick Bird at Lungworst did the exact same thing. Uh, Mark Chase, what do you remember about friend of me? Friend of me?
Speaker 19: Yeah, I'll say that, okay, because the taste that I think had.
Speaker 1: I I put.
Speaker 19: I pushed back on it, probably harder than I should have, but I think we had a mutual respect for each other.
Speaker 1: How about that? Who is the most influential person in this business that has helped I don't know, shape the the eddie fingers we know today? Is there one particular guy that just stands out and go, you know what, if this guy hadn't come along at this point in my life, I probably would have not had the success that I've had.
Speaker 19: I will say three three guys. Yeah, the guy named Jeff Vargo, who was the program director at VUD in Dayton, all right, who pulled me aside the first uh after I'd started and was full of myself. I did full time and I should have had the full time gig and pulled me aside and said, I'm not going to fire you, but you suck.
Speaker 1: It's good to hear. It is good to hear because we all do when we first starts.
Speaker 19: Uh, Tom Owens who ran who hired me at s AI and then ended up hiring me in Louisville, and then hired me at heb In And I'm going to go for Bo Would of course, the owner of EBN back in the day. And Randy Michaels. Randy's on my list too, who he the benderin Fingers team thing. He really encouraged us to push it. I mean it's like I told you with Bo saying that he'd make the jokes dirtier. But then Randy would told Marty and I, look, do whatever the hell it is you guys wanted, and we did.
Speaker 1: It was cool, Yeah, instrumental in my career. We've got a couple of minutes left, Eddie. Let's flash forward to from eb N the end of the Dawn Patrol to w l W and you moving into talk. Yeah.
Speaker 19: Yeah, that was no probably late November of seven, okay, And and I'd been craving the gig here and Gary was leaving and I had filled in with the for him several times, and uh, they kind of told me I was their apparent. Gary told me he wanted me to take this show.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 19: And then Gary kept kept working, which is fine, I don't care. But I I was fifty playing Metallica records at eb N, and I was like, this is this is turning to get a lot.
Speaker 1: Last year I was at the Fox, I knew the station was going to be sold. I knew that I would have a couple of choices when it was in January of nine and I decided somewhere during that year that I was tired of babysitting music and I wanted to do talk. I'd wanted to do to talk ever since nineteen eighty seven, the first time I heard Rush Limbaugh and I, you know, I finally got the chance in ninety seven and I said, you know what, I want to do that full time. And what about today? Are you content with where you're at? Are you happy?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 19: Yeah, big time. I mean I love working with rock. We have a good time. We've got a good rapport, I think. And you know, it took me a while to settle into doing this because, like I said, when I came in, I wanted to do a Burbank style show. Yeah, and I thought that's what they wanted. Well, they wanted to go a little more issue oriented, issue oriented foxy talkie thing. Yeah, And I even said to him, I'm like, I don't know if I could do. I'm not good at that, you know, Like I said, I idolized Burbank and I wanted to follow in his footsteps.
Speaker 1: Well, for me, when you're in music radio, you may talk for fifteen seconds or thirty seconds, you know, unless you're interviewing somebody occasionally. But the first time I was on WLW in nineteen ninety seven doing Saturday mornings, even I was like lost, I'm good because I'd never rambled for five minutes or six minutes at a time without breaking. You know what am I going to talk about?
Speaker 19: Yeah, that's one of the things that Tom Owen said to me years back. We're doing an air check session. If you don't know what I remember, so you remember those they take you in and play a tape and go that sucked, right, And he doesn't. He stopped the tape and he looks at me. He goes, buddy, let me taste something. Ah, anything you have to say is not more important than the best Beatles record. We'd play exactly, all right, fair enough.
Speaker 1: I work for those guys. I know, Eddie. It's been a Joy. That's a great man. We do this all out of time for this and of course here Eddie and Rocky every Monday through Friday three to six here on seven hundred WLW. This has been one of my favorites. Thank you so much fun. When do you like to listen to Scott's Sloan? Anytime is the perfect time for Sloaney. I could listen twenty four hours a day.
Speaker 4: Wow, that's a lot of Sloaney.
Speaker 19: Now we talk getting I love Sloany, but I need a small break to make toast.
Speaker 1: I had a dream about eating toast with Sloaney. You mean serious. He used a lot of jelly.
Speaker 9: No matter where you are or what you're doing, it's Slooney time.
Speaker 1: I can't get me enough Sloaney.
Speaker 9: Scott's Loan tomorrow morning on seven hundred WLW, and check out his podcast on the free iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 19: Veterans, the Fed has done it. They've lowered interest rates and a loan proto, they've lowered mortgage rates along with it.
Speaker 1: Into another hour of this Night tap on seven hundred w l W. Harry Depp and our guest in this half hour is from the Citizens Council for Health freedom of Twila Brade and I think we've talked before Twilight, although it's been a long long time, but there are new issues rising. So thanks for giving us some of your time tonight to talk about real ID. First and foremost for people who don't know about your organization, the Citizens Council for Health Freedom. How did this begin and was this in a direct response to what was per portrayed on the American public and individuals during COVID? Is this where this brought up originally or.
Speaker 20: No, We've been around for a very long time. It actually started with the Quintons. So, yeah, when Hillary decided that she was going to give us HMOs for all, which now we basically have health plans for all under Obamacare. But when that was the plan, and her plan was also you know, imposed electronic health records and all of us and get access to all of our data and have the federal government run the healthcare system, that is when our organization began. And as you can probably tell, given everything that has transpired, we have not run out of things to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no doubt. Well, I mean here, whatever happened to Hippa and the hippo laws on individual privacy? In our in our health system.
Speaker 20: Yeah, so nobody quite understands the truth about it, but we have a big campaign to do that every April. Because hippop took away your privacy. Oh, it's actually considered a permissive data sharing rule. So there is a mob of people, and I do mean a mob two point two million entities according to the federal government, who can have access to your information without your consent if those who hold it choose to share. So it's really just been this major deception of the American people into thinking that hippoprotects privacy. We've got an entire campaign to get people to stop signing the hippoform or that line that says I have received the Notice of Privacy Practices, that sort of thing, because that's all part of the deception to make you think you have privacy when you have done.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's kind of like passing the Inflation Reduction Act, which actually increases inflation. At a lot of the federal government bureaucracies and systems are set up that way where that you said, look, we're doing this for you. Well, on the other hand, they're just taking away every last semblance of freedom you had. So also I want to speak for a moment about Medicare, because I understand there's a deadline. The open enrollment date starts a week from tonight, October fifteenth, And tell me about your Medicare guide that you guys are putting out.
Speaker 20: Yes, so it is basically ready to go, except we don't have the twenty twenty five prices yet, which we're waiting for. But it's going to be on a very unique guide, never anything quite like it. It will have ten Medicare traps in it. It will explain high deductible Medicare meticgap policies and the pros and cons of that, will have a checklist, we'll have questions to ask your insurance agents, and we'll have a whole lot of different things that a lot of guides that you might see do not have. And I will just say right now from the get go that it's really important to have an independent Medicare agent working for you, because then you will have the option to get original Medicare, and they might even tell you why that might be better for you, because you can go anywhere and see any doctor almost in the entire country, whereas Medicare advantage will limit you and require you to go through prior authorization. And so even though there are zero deductible right or zero premium Medicare advantage plans, that's because of federal government. The taxpayers are paying all that money to those plans, but they have the authority to deny you access to care if they think something is not medically necessary, even though you and the doctor might disagree.
Speaker 1: So healthcare rationing basically, yes, that's exactly correct.
Speaker 20: And there are actually three reports that say that Medicare advantage plans right out of HHS Office of Inspector General, three reports since twenty fifteen talking about the rationing of medically necessary care even Medicare approved care two seniors, and how seventy five percent of the time if the senior or their doctor appeal, then the health plan will reverse and give access to the care. But only one percent of those who are denied care ever appeal. And so it's a very lucritiuve strategy for those health plans.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean it's it's dangerous in the sense that this is exactly what people are experiencing in other countries that have the single payer healthcare system, the socialized medicine plans where you know, cancer patients, heart patients constantly are denied or told to wait in line when they need life saving procedures or they want to and the doctors have told them, you need to have this, Okay, how do I get it? As well? Wait six months and then we'll talk about it and you may be dead or four right, exactly.
Speaker 20: Yeah, Well, the history of it is a little interesting in that it was Ted Kennedy, Senator Ted Kennedy that came up with the HMO Act of nineteen seventy three which created the HMOs now called Health Plans, And he was a single peer advocate. And so we call the health plans the corporate version of socialized medicine. And I really believe that he thought if he merged the delivery and financing of care into one entity at the corporate level, eventually we would be so used to being told no, which real insurance companies don't tell you no. They never get in between you and your doctor. But once you got used to being told no, you'd be willing to go into the government version of single payer.
Speaker 1: Absolutely outrageous. So anyway, the Medicare Guide available, how do people get that your from your organization?
Speaker 20: Well, Once it's available, it will be on our website Cchfreedom dot org. Cchfreedom dot org and it will be there probably in about two weeks. As long as these crises come out, they're they're delayed. I'm not sure why, but that's what we're waiting for.
Speaker 1: So don't enroll in anything until you've read the Medicare guide.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's right, okay.
Speaker 1: Even though you can start enrolling next week, don't do anything until you get all the information you need. We're talking with Twila Brace from the Citizens Council for Health Freedom, and I'll be honest with you, Twilight, I haven't even thought about getting the real ID yet. In Kentucky where I live. The date is May of twenty twenty five, but there is a period or that there's a ants for the public to speak out on how they feel about this really d thing and the comment the comment window is through next Tuesday as well. Right, that's correct, All right, So I've already responded to the survey, by the way, thank you very much. And in just a moment we will get into the nuts and bolts of real ID and what it really means for you and your privacy as an individual and the ability of the government to track. We're talking with Twilight Bras brays Am I saying brace right, Grace yep, brace okay from the Citizens Council for Health Freedom on the nightcap back in just a moment after a quick break here on seven hundred WLW. The Kenton County Haunted Fairgrounds is right around the corner. Starting October eleventh and twelfth and rapping on the eighteenth and nineteenth. Again in this half hour on seven hunter WLW on the nightcap, Gary Jeff talking with Twilo Braids from the Citizens Council for Help Freedom and now we're talking about your freedom to move about as you see fit without being tracked. The real id conversation is what we're having, Twila. And we've been told now they delayed once, but this is not a law. States do not have to do this, Is that correct?
Speaker 20: Well, it's a little bit more complicated than that. In two thousand and five, In two thousand and five, the federal government, in the dark of the knight, or Congress in the darks of the knight, did this. They actually called it a national idea. On the floor of the Senate. That was Lamar Alexander then states then they put out a regulation in like two thousand and eight, and that's when states got alert to the fact that this was happening, and a lot of states wrote laws against it. So they said, we will not we will not comply with this law because a usurpation of states' rights. Federal government cannot take over the identification function, the driving functions, the authority over all of this that is within the state purview. But then in twenty sixteen, the Obama administration came out with a lie, the you can't fly lie, and that was meant to get everybody to get the real ID. But what I think your people need to understand is the real ide is not just a card. It's not just an ID card, it's not just a driver's license. It's a system. And according to the federal law, the Secretary of Homeland Security can decide what that card needs to be produced for. In other words, right now, the law says that the real idea is required for entrance into federal facilities, certain ones, nuclear facilities, and commercial airlines, and any other purposes as the Secretary shall deem to be necessary.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, stop right there just for a second. So do I really want Alejandro Majorcus or some successor of his deciding whether I can go somewhere based on the fact of whether I've got this is that's what you're telling me, that I'm relying on that guy, and it could be anybody, it doesn't matter, But I'm just thinking about the particular guy, particular instance of what we have right now in this country. The head of that organization is going to be in charge of deciding whether we can go anywhere, not just on an airplane, but in a nuclear base or in a federal building, but anything we want to do as individuals, he will have to say so. And we have to have this piece of identification that shows that we are in this system.
Speaker 20: One I'm elected bureaucrat who can later decide that that any other purposes could be things like by a gun, by ammunition, by a house, open a bank account, get access to medical care, register at a hotel, that this card, this federal National ID card, would have to be submitted in order to be able to do any of that. So this is a command and control card. And this rule that you just submitted to comment on this is a proposed rule. They only gave us thirty days and They did it during the height of the election season, and I think they didn't want people to see what they were doing anyway. So what this rule says is that for the next two years, starting in May, they will do progressive enforcement their words, and there will be progressive consequences. And they even advise doing three strikes, like letting you've come to the airport three times without one, but then on the fourth time that you come, despite having tickets and everything, they would say, sorry, go home. And so this is their plan. They want us to suffer until we will submit to something that is unconstitutional. It is totally unconstitutional. Actually, legislators in Pennsylvania and Missouri in twenty seventeen wrote letters to Trump and basically said stop it. This is a usurpation of states rights, and this is a violation of the Fourth Amendment to give the federal government this kind of power over everyone and every state. And so the really important thing for people to understand is there two things. One you can fly without it. TSA actually has about sixteen ID cards, including a passport. Everyone should have a passport. You never know when you just might want to leave quickly, and so, but the passport can't be used for everything that Mayorkis could use or you know do with this card, right, so you just have a passport to make sure you can fly. But at the end of the day, we hope to never let them get to that point. That's the whole purpose for everyone to comment and say this is unconstitutional, you cannot afford, you cannot enforce this, because eventually we hope that there will be an attorney if all of sales that takes us up and has all these people saying, yeah, we know this is unconstitutional, you can't actually do this, and you know, people should be absolutely in sensed offended actually that to get a real idea, you have to submit all your primary identification documents, your birth certificate, your Social Security number, your marriage certificate, your divorce decree, you know, all these things, and they're going to put them in their digital databases and have them in one place, and they don't have them like that today is do you really want the government to have that kind of control over all of your prime identity documents? And yet over at the southern border, come on in, Well.
Speaker 1: I was going to say you could just you just go to the airport and tell them you're an illegal immigrant, and you can fly anywhere for free right without an idea. That's the thing that is the thing that is most uh just so odorous about this toilet to me, is that we are flying and we already know that half a million people basically have been flown into our country with no idea at all, no one knows who they are. And yet we, as American citizens, are being subjected to this kind of personal tyranny by the federal go or they're attempting to do this. How do people let their voices be heard in the next week to say no, stop this, I disagree.
Speaker 20: Right, you have only a week say it's unconstitutional. Go to our website and there's a big black box that says click here, and so you can click there and then just click onto the link to comment, and so go to c c Hfreedom dot Org c c Hfreedom dot Org. You should, you know, you should just recognize that when you're having to do this, you are re certifying as an American citizen and they are basically claiming, unless you have this card, all the freedoms that you have today we could potentially take away from you. So it's really agreed to, it's not a card. It's a system, and it could become a social credit.
Speaker 1: System, just like communists China. Yep, yep, yeah, I was going to say, it sounds a whole lot like the CCP to me, right, what was the famous quote those who sacrifice security, Yes, sacrifice liberty for security will have neither. And yes, that's where we are headlong hurdling towards well twilight base. Is there anything else in our minute and a half or so or two minutes that you would like to people to know about the Council of the Citizens, Council for Health freedomcfreedom dot org or anything else that's on your radar.
Speaker 20: Well, I guess I will just say that we're a nonprofit organization, been around for about twenty seven years, and we have a online directory of cash based practices. They don't take any government, they don't take any insurance, and they work just for you. And you could find that at jointhwedge dot com. Find a doctor that works for you, Join the Wedge dot com and if you're worried about what's happening in the exam room and you want some protection, come to our website and go to the bottom to helpful handouts. And you will find the discharge instructions where we help you to protect yourself in the exam room, including what to do with all those pesky intrusive questionnaires in the exam room.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, are you being abused at home?
Speaker 4: Can't help?
Speaker 20: Do you have guns?
Speaker 1: Do you have guns? Twila bras from the.
Speaker 20: What's your educational level? None of your business? Right, this is I don't think they know this, but as a matter of fact, the federal government is paying now to get your social determinants of health all the things about your life that could impact your health. It's really interessive, that's really awful. And HIPPA doesn't protect a word that you say or anything on that questionnaire, and all sorts of people can have access to it without your consent to.
Speaker 1: Find the real truth about real ID and so much more. Citizens Council for Health Freedom Ccchfreedom dot org, Twila brace, thank you again for your time tonight.
Speaker 20: Thank you so much. It was great.
Speaker 1: You got a news break. And then the Furball joins us sign the nightcap on seven hundred WLW News.
Speaker 10: Traffic and Weather News Radio seven hundred wl W Cincinnati.
Speaker 21: Tilton getting closer to landfall well the eleven thirty reports, i'm ley mallin breaking. Now Hurricane Milton restrengthening back into Category five territory. Gas Buddy reportings seventeen percent of Florida gas stations didn't have fuel. ABC's Victor Oquendo reporting on the Long Lines. More than thirteen hundred stations statewide running out of fuel.
Speaker 19: According to guess Buddy, State troopers now escorting tankers to resupply gas stations.
Speaker 21: Authorities in Florida filling Tropicana Field in Saint Petersburg, normally the home of the Tampa Bay Rays, with costs to provide a base camp for first responders. Some eight thousand National Guard troops mobilized the states, pracing for landfall from Hurricane Milton late Wednesday or early Thursday morning. Meantime, President Joe Biden canceling his trip to Angola and Germany and reported to have sent the FEMA director to handle Milton.
Speaker 22: I've sent FEMA Administrator Chris Well down to Florida yesterday to work intensively with the state and local partners. As you prepare to deploy more resources. You continue that work between Florida North Carolina the coming days.
Speaker 21: Many flights canceled and now Disney World announcing phase closures of the park starting tomorrow starting at one o'clock in the afternoon for Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom, and the rest of the park will follow. An alaur chunks Tampa Police Chief Lee burkh Hall telling ABC News, this is the storm of the century. Now the latest traffic and weather together. No accidents to report around the Queen City. You're looking good, Cincinnati.
Speaker 10: Now the ladies forecast from a train, heating and cooling weather center on news radio seven hundred WLW heading to.
Speaker 13: Our Wednesday morning, It's gonna stay clear, cool. We'll see a seven am temp forty six, mostly sunny, a high as seventy four at night it stays clear and a low of forty nine. From your severe weather station, I'm nine first warning, Chief Meteorologist Steve Rawley, News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 21: Fifty three degrees in Cincinnati, and the radar all clear. A team facing multiple charges after allegedly stealing a vehicle and getting into what became a fatal crash.
Speaker 11: It was just after seven thirty Tuesday morning when Green Talented police trying to pull over a vehicle reported stolen out of Cincinnati, when they say the driver, later identified as a fifteen year old male, intentionally swerved, hitting one of their cruisers. It's said to a brief pursuit as they lost sight of the Honda CRV, but would find that the team struck two other vehicles in the twenty three hundred block of North Bend Road and then fled on foot. A twenty eight year old man and one of the vehicles died from serious injuries after being taken to UC Medical Center, while a sixty nine year old woman in the second vehicle had injuries said to be nonlighte threatening. The suspect would be found and arrested, initially charged with receiving stolen property, Felonia's assault on a police officer, and failure to comply with the signal of a police officer. The Cincinnati Police Departments Traffic Unit investigating the fatal crash and the subsequent charges stemming from it. I'm Sean Gaalbager News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 21: An eighteen year old arrested for beating a seventy four year old family member in Erlanger this afternoon, happening around two o'clock in the one hundred block of Ridgewood Drive. Why had Testament accused of assaulting Sherry Oliver and causing serious injuries to her head. Oliver would later die from our injuries at UC Medical Center. Testament was taken into custody without further incident. He's held at the Kenton County Detention Center. Sources telling WLWT Oliver was Testaman's grandmother and the incident was a dispute between family members. As well as early voting in Ohio and Indiana kicking off today, it was also the start of Prime Days and plenty of our sales, ABC's Mike DuBowski.
Speaker 5: This is the second Amazon Prime Day of the year. The online retailer expanded their subscriber only sale to a bi annual event in twenty twenty two, but there are signs of oversaturation. In twenty twenty two, seventy eight percent of shoppers who participated in Prime Day were existing Prime subscribers. Only five percent signed up for Prime Day to take part in the sale, but it's still a money maker. Amazon says this past July marked the biggest Prime Day since the sales creation in twenty fifteen. Mike Debaski, ABC News Our next update is at midnight.
Speaker 21: I'm Ley Mawin News Radio seven hundred WA home owners.
Speaker 19: The FED has taken action lowering rates for the first time in years, and Loan Proto is also lowering mortgage rates big time. Eddie here, it's the business.
Speaker 1: As well. He put the wraps on his nightcap. I can always count on this guy for a different adventure because he likes to drive. He likes to cruise out of his car and stock late at night. I don't know where he is right now, but he is on the phone with us. I know that much. It is the ultimate sports voice of Cincinnati radio. Even to this day. You can hear him on Fox Sports thirteen sixty on Sunday mornings, and you can hear him here in the Nightcaps. Thank god he's around for me to beat up Andy Furman, the fur Ball. What are you doing out driving a car this late at night? Andy, Just go for a little spin.
Speaker 17: I like to see the move, I really do.
Speaker 23: The stars just beautiful, beautiful night.
Speaker 1: It is a refreshing to me.
Speaker 2: I cleanse my mind.
Speaker 23: I stopped thinking about what the Bangles have done, and you know what, I have some thoughts that enter my mind while I do this and I love to share it with you.
Speaker 2: But first of all, I.
Speaker 23: Want to say, Kalen de boor wealcome PITNSCC. Congratulations Gary Jeff, But you're Vanderbilt comfodoors Walk Theme PITSDC.
Speaker 17: All of a sudden, the seat that you sit.
Speaker 23: On is getting a little warmer, getting.
Speaker 17: A little warmer. At Alabama, you're learning how it feels.
Speaker 1: The only thing I can tell you about Vanderbilt football, Andy, is that Vanderbilt, of course, is the only private school in the Southeastern Conference. All the rest are state entities, and they have the same grade requirements of state colleges, which, in other words, if you can spell your name and you can play football, you can play at Alabama or Oklahoma or any of the rest of them. Not at Vanderbilt. You have to have, like I think, it's a three point six three point seven. No matter how good a football player you are, even with the transfer portal, even with the nil money, Vandy is always at a disadvantage. I'm not saying that smart people can't play football, but when they're going against all these one eyed bohemoths, who are you know is majoring in criminal justice? You know, oftentimes a neuroscience Major is no match for them physically. But in this particular case, the doors showed Alabama the door out of Nashville with their first loss of the season. I couldn't have been happier on Saturday than when I saw that. I was rooting like I was back at Dudley Field in the nineteen eighties. I was so thrilled with Vanderbilts. And what about that quarterback Pabia? Huh what about that guy.
Speaker 17: Diego Diego Diego?
Speaker 23: I mean, I'd like to see his transcript though, So don't give me, don't give me a crying howel you know, with the transcripts and the great because he got in Okay, he's in Vanderbilt, and he couldn't have got it out of New Mexico.
Speaker 17: So let's just.
Speaker 1: Oh no no, no, no no no no no no no no. They don't they don't waive the requirements for anybody, even transfers. Andy. I bet he is a brilliant guy. I know he could run circles around both you and I. There's no question about that. He goes to Vanderbilt.
Speaker 17: That's all.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's all right, that's okay. We're you're gonna work for us someday. That's the cheer from the Vanderbilt student section because it's true. Because it's true.
Speaker 23: I bet okay, they got a fund to no gold Postman in that game.
Speaker 17: I could you believe it?
Speaker 23: This week, the coming to Lexington to play the Wildcats in Kentucky.
Speaker 17: Hey, that's the interesting.
Speaker 1: That's going to be a good game, you know, because because Stoops has a good program down, you've got a good team there. Uh And it is again a state's state school, so the requirements aren't the same academically as they are at Vanderbilt. But I mean, I mean, maybe the van any Commodorees can teach the Wildcats and thing or two at Commonwealth Stadium. In fact, I think they're they're bringing them in as tutors and opponents.
Speaker 23: Oh wow, right, okay, Now your second favorite team, the Kansas City Chiefs, remained undefeated in.
Speaker 17: The National three team three ten three, right right, all of a sudden, Now we're seeing at the week.
Speaker 23: Number five a little bit of separation in the National Football League, you know, the good against the Bear.
Speaker 17: We'll see what's happening right there.
Speaker 23: And I thought about this and said, I want to share it with you.
Speaker 17: Right, the Kansas City Chiefs. You know, they talk about teams.
Speaker 23: That are one dimensional, that could only groan, that could only pass. The Kansas City Chiefs are not a one dimensional team. They can beat you in more ways than one, and specifically on the defensive side of the ball.
Speaker 17: Why do I say that? Look at the stats.
Speaker 23: Joe Burrow flowed to five touchdowns on Sunday and they lose. Okay, Patrick Mahomes on the Sea have six touchdowns, have six picks, and that team is undefeated. Why they win on their defense? They could win them all ways than one. And the Bengals kids, that defense is atrocious period.
Speaker 17: Do you agree?
Speaker 1: Yes? I agree, their big defense is atrocious, And yes I agree Kansas City has learned how to play defense and makes them even more formidable with all of the offensive tools, primarily Patrick Mahomes at the helm of the offense. And I'll tell you this, it was great to see Kareem Hunt back in a Chiefs uniform running roughshod and Jojo Smith Schuster and also Travis Kelcey finally had his breakout game, his first breakout game. So there are a lot of things in that victory last night over the Saints that you can highlight. But yes, defense is first and foremost, and Spagnola and Andy Reid have done a wonderful job in Kansas City. No question.
Speaker 23: You brought that up about Kareem Hunt for the guy that couldn't make the Cleveland Browns, but.
Speaker 17: He's playing for the Chiefs. Think about that. And therefore, I go back to the development of the Kansas City Chiefs that ninety.
Speaker 23: Nine percent of their players have been brought up through the draft.
Speaker 8: Ten of the.
Speaker 17: Eleven starters have been draftees. Okay, that's the.
Speaker 23: Keys, not free agency, it's development, and that's what they do great in Kansas City.
Speaker 17: Kareem Hunt can't make the Browns, but he's playing for the Chiefs. Think about that.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, no, that was that was a bonus for Kareem Hunt, because nobody wants to play for the Browns, even with the Bengals at one in four, Andy, the Cleveland Browns have to be the most moribund or snake bit or stupid franchises in the front office and they hit. It doesn't matter. They can change their general manager, they can change the coach, they can change the quarterback. It doesn't matter. The Browns always are pitiful and they're good seasons are the seasons they beat the Bengals and hover around five hundred. They're not gonna sniff five hundred this year because they're just the Browns. It's if it's brown, flush it down. And that's not just a catch phrase, Andy, it's the truth that Cleveland Browns maybe the worst run franchise in the entire NFL.
Speaker 23: Well, I don't know if they'renna work with it, pretty close to it, but I will pay this you use the term sniffing five hundred. I worry about that with the CINCTORONNI Bengals right now. Look, I got a lot of confidence in Joe Burrow and what this team needs to do. And I told this to my partner on Sundow Fox Sports Radio, Bucky Brooks. They're gonna win games like forty five, thirty eight, you know, thirty one, twenty seven. Joe Burrow on his arm is gonna put both points on that they're.
Speaker 17: Gonna give up and that's probably a lot of games on their last position.
Speaker 23: That's the only thing they're gonna wait to do that. That's the only way they can't win. Their defense is terrible, they can't stop the run.
Speaker 17: Thirty is the team defense that we speak right now, and it's about Joe Burrow.
Speaker 23: What Joe Burrow said, we need to play a perfect game. When he said that prior to the game on Sunday, Remember he said that earlier in the week last week, you know what he was doing. I mean, for those people who aren't that smart and smart as you and I.
Speaker 17: What he was saying.
Speaker 23: He's pointed to the defense, we gotta play a perfect game.
Speaker 17: He's not talking about the offense.
Speaker 23: They're playing great football, just going over thirty points a game. So when Joe Burrow said we gotta play a perfect game, that was directed specifically to the defensive team of the Si Suny Fangs.
Speaker 1: All right, Andy, I tell you what. You're driving around. It's late at night, you're looking at the moon on a beautiful clear night. I want you to during the commercial break, you see that girl in the corner. I want you to pick her up and see if she needs like a hot meal or something, and we'll be back. Okay, I'll talk to you.
Speaker 20: Just hold on.
Speaker 17: Oh she said she needed one hundred dollars. I don't love picking her up.
Speaker 1: Well, give her friend fifty dollars. She came in second, hold on just a second more with the furball on the nightcap in just minutes. In this week's Marketers Report, we hear about the importance of local radio from Alison Griffin, head of Marketing