Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families.
Speaker 1: Each Tuesday, we bring you a watch or rewatch of an older entertainment property, And for this week of July twenty second, we are continuing with Lost, Season three, Episode eight, Flashes before your Eyes. And you know, we've seen a lot of scary and creepy things on this show. There's smoke mods, there's others, there's traps in the jungle, there's polar bears, there's all sorts of stuff. I think this episode was the most creepy for me, just because you're living your life, but like you know that something's not right. You have this these weird memories and it's just like, okay, I'm just making this up. And then there's this lady. It was just just the whole thing. I couldn't remember how it had ended and how it had worked out, and it's just poor Desmond man. I wanted to give Desmond a huh, not a baseball bat to the head, but just what a creepy thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and still very confusing, you know, yes too? Where are we in time? Exactly? What? Yeah? I'm still rather confused in terms of what direction things are going.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean because so he turns the key and then we switched to what seems to be the past, because yeah, Charlie's.
Speaker 1: There, right, He's like, yeah, that's interesting that they met before. I guess. I guess he's been thrown back in time in his life.
Speaker 2: Right, but he knew he's already lived it once.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, yes, and he remembers the island stuff, right, and then he gets thrown back into it.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Could he have changed things if he had proposed to Penny? Could he have changed the past or the future or whatever? Or you just doomed to go back there, right, he just give him some more of that McCutcheon. Yes, man deserves. I was wondering what the deal was with the mccutcheen, but then they quickly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they quickly gave that established it. But another check mark on the evil column for Charles Woodmore.
Speaker 1: And uh, this is this is here's a parenting tip. When you stand between your child and true love, you're going to completely bleep up the universe. It's like all this stuff that's going on is going to be because Charles Woodmore was not able to do anything human.
Speaker 2: Seeming, right, Yeah, and speaking you know what.
Speaker 1: These two shows we've watched this week. Yeah, right, and a lot of parents deciding, no, no, that's not for you. This is for you all.
Speaker 2: This is the way we're going to do it.
Speaker 1: But never stand in the way of two of Yeah, Princess Bride has taught us, that's right.
Speaker 2: The woman in the jewelry shop, Yeah, speaking of creepy and scary.
Speaker 1: All the flat again, nice to see you, but yeah, that character at the moment where she'll be coming back, I know you don't buy the ring and then she just starts talking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's creepy it's like her, like she tore off a human mask and became yeah, you know, the scoopy doo villain for a moment there.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, what a creepy performance without without having to be a polar bear or have a gun or be a you know, have somebody in a cage, just sitting on a park bench. Creepy as bleep.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, I feel like parents learn from this, like, yeah, you're just your words and your eyeballs have a lot more power than maybe you thought you realize.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, oh my gosh. I had conversations with children sort of like that, sometimes this is what you're gonna do this, You're not going to do that other thing, right, this is what you have to do again, sort of like the guilted age, but which we will be discussing tomorrow. But sometimes you just have to say I see the future and this is what right, this is how it's gonna go.
Speaker 2: Kid, So just save yourself a lot of time and trouble and listen to me. Now I'll do.
Speaker 1: It exactly my way. But also I thought that the old lady reminded me of someone telling you your parenting all wrong. I know, if you do that everybody is going to.
Speaker 2: Die, right.
Speaker 1: Parenting tip, stay away from those people. They will freak you out unless you are one of those people, which at some point we all get to be like, no, no, no, I see the future. This is going to go badly. Oh my gosh. Yeah. So it turns out that although Desmond appears to be saving Claire a bunch of times, right, he's actually saving Charlie.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: And I don't know if the fact that he met Charlie back in his throwback thing is why he suddenly can see the Charlie's future or just you know, the island and or the plot needs him to see it, but that is that is kind of creepy if you're Charlie.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, it wasn't the girl drowning that I was saving. It was you, because you were gonna save her and drown, right.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's uh. I feel that perhaps Charlie is not long for this particular world.
Speaker 1: I guess, as Desmond says so lovingly, at the end, you're going to die, Charlie. Although really we're all going to die, and the people on the island probably sooner than most, but in this case is specific that'd be a little.
Speaker 2: Maybe I won't be a creepy Maybe I won't.
Speaker 1: What do you do then?
Speaker 2: I know? Right, maybe I won't be quite as surprised as I tended to be every other time to kill off a major character. What.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I don't. I don't remember how soon it's gone. I know that yet, it's it's it's not next.
Speaker 2: Week, yeah, because next week we have to go back to the other on their other island.
Speaker 1: But it is a very good, very good episode. Actually, what's that anyway?
Speaker 2: I E yeah, so this is still this is still only flashing back.
Speaker 1: Yes, this was like a really really prolonged flashback, but it wasn't really a direct It wasn't he wasn't flashing back to his life before. I'm he sort of was, but it was before and both before and after, right, because he has memories of his island time, right, but he's gone back into his past.
Speaker 2: Right. It was like the flashback, but he was reliving it, yeah, with everything that had already come before, right.
Speaker 1: And it was you know, most of the episode without going back and forth like the flashbacks usually. The suspense of that was that whole thing was heartbreaking because you know pretty sure, right, something's going to go wrong at some point, right, because we are out. Is he just going to rely and go with it? Is he gonna do what the lady says? Is he gonna go against it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And you know, you know he's winding up back on the island because yeah, because we got a show to finish.
Speaker 2: But uh, and you know he doesn't marry Penny. Yeah, at least in this no timeline.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, poor Penny.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But uh but yeah, and then we just didn't really get very much of anybody else.
Speaker 1: No, no, except Claire should probably not go swimming. Yeah, do you have a baby, lady, what are you doing? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well, and then it's like, oh, sons here, Oh, we haven't seen you in weeks. I mean, I guess SAYI did show back up and he knew they were together, but there was no like, hey, where are you? Then kill anybody while you're going? Right?
Speaker 1: That is odd.
Speaker 2: They just have too many people, cannot deal with them all.
Speaker 1: No, that's true, and they needed to take this extended Desmond break here to set up a whole bunch of stuff.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: But when Desmond goes and tells his friend that he's traveled through time, yes, and his friend you know, sort of pats him on the head, and it made me think parenting tip wise, what do you do when your kid comes to you with a crazy story?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: Do you say, look, how creative he is. It's wonderful, he's got a good mind. He'll be a novelist one day. Weird TV shows? You know, do you do you ask them questions about it to sort of complete continue developing their creativity, or do you say, buddy, no, that's not real, or.
Speaker 2: Do you just kind of change the subject?
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, because his friend was just like indulging him a little bit, right, and then when it turned out that the things didn't the things he predicted didn't happen that night, right, he just sort of said, yeah, you know, have another drink. But that does happen. Sometimes that your kid is telling you something that you're pretty sure is not true, right, either because it's completely fantastical or because it just doesn't seem like it's something that could have happened, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's the line between imagination and just lying?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: That's hard and sometimes the kid doesn't even really know.
Speaker 2: It, But sometimes it doesn't really matter.
Speaker 1: It doesn't. Yes, if you can discuss something in the context of it being fiction. That's fun, right, fun to see them being creative and adding to stuff. But if they're trying to sell it as the truth.
Speaker 2: And that's probably right, that's when you just have to.
Speaker 1: Poor Desmond was just so freaked out. Yeah, oh gosh, how weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah for him. And then of course they're really clubbing us with this whole fate you know, because they even had a little maybe it was in the previously on but you know where Lock said, you know what killed Echo? Someone asked him how it go died and he just said the island killed him, Like yeah, yeah, he's never he's never letting that go.
Speaker 1: Nope, Nope, nope, nope.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I mean, I just feel like they're quite heavy handed with the they are the fate business. Okay, yep, got it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's pretty much much a running theme. Just when uh, you know, if you think you're Desmond thinks he's losing it. He's not sure if he's so certain that this is true, but he can't explain it, and it seems when he's trying to tell himself it's just a lie. And then the old lady just confirms it. For him. Yeah, that's not a good feeling.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's like, you know when you think, is this thing wrong with my child? Is this a thing? No, that's not a thing. That's not a thing. No, no, no, And then you go to a doctor or something he says, oh, yeah, that's a thing. Ye, Or alternatively, as was sometimes the case with my kids, you know, I would be pretty sure something was a thing, and then that somebody would say, oh no, right, you're completely nuts. Yeah, I've met the old lady in the parking friend patting me on the head.
Speaker 2: Cut to It's like, cut to the flash forward of Terry's life, like, oh this what was going on? Near?
Speaker 1: Like yes, It's like do you want the thing you're thinking to be confirmed? Or do you want it not to be confirmed? Some either one is unsatisfied. It's like no, no, no, I'm sure this is the thing that's wrong. But then somebody says, oh, yeah, that's the thing that's wrong. So no, I don't want it to be wrong. Will you not do it? Yeah, there's deb's a no win situation. Desmond's in there. That's either you're losing your mind or you were messing with time and space. Continuums far beyond your understanding. Either way, your life will never be away.
Speaker 2: It's not going to go go well for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, ah, poor Desmond. But this was a very nice showcase for Henry ian Cusick. He did a great job with it of all desmonds confusion and certainty and fear and freaked out nests, you know, desperation and all the different you know, kept us going through that, even if he's flipping back and forth through different things. Yeah, very good performance there. Yeah, and uh sorry, that doesn't look like the future is that bright for you there, mate, But we'll see.
Speaker 2: Well, don't forget about those two guys in the Arctic or whatever.
Speaker 1: Who Yeah, that's right, come and try to That's right, we do have that. Come on, Penny, Penny did not Nope, not say that guy glad I'm rid of. Yeah, that guy couldn't make up his mind. That guy was afraid of my dad. That guy. Yes, I'll just find perhaps there's a duke I.
Speaker 2: Can marry.
Speaker 1: See tomorrow's episode. Yes, So do we have any other parenting tips or insights about this episode lost, which was more self contained than most of them, and so therefore just the one storyline really to comment on it, right. I don't think there was anything outside of that storyline, was there? No?
Speaker 2: I mean just it was Mike, Charlie and Hurley on the Charlie thing. At the end.
Speaker 1: The topic of it was pretty much set by the opening dialogue between Charlie and Hurley, which was, Hey, guys, what's wrong with Desmond? That guy sees the future? Dude? Has it? And then that played out before us, Yes, and then we're just right back where we started. Yeah, Charlie's gonna die, Dominic Monahan, call your agent. Next Tuesday, we'll continue with season three, episode nine of Lost Stranger in a Strange Land. Well, that's pretty much everybody, isn't it. Yes, very strange shashback for do do you know? Off found to look it up? Dude? Dude? Oh, thank goodness, that's a jack. What's going on with that? He's such a mystery, you know what. We just can't imagine what he could be about. So let's find out again again. All right. We will see you back here tomorrow to discuss the Gilded Age, which we have already alluded to many times in this episode, because these two episodes line up thematically, kind of wealth, Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash Shop slash Mamitude, where you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.