Speaker 1: Hudson Riverradio dot com.
Speaker 2: We have to listen to you.
Speaker 3: Well, no you don't, but if you have any interest in history.
Speaker 4: Hey, this is Jesse Carmichael from Room five.
Speaker 2: Hi, this is Phil Margol of the Tokens.
Speaker 1: Hello.
Speaker 5: It's Nicole Atkins on the Rock and Roll History Show.
Speaker 3: Well hello, everyone, Welcome back to the Rock and Roll History Show on Hudson River Radio. I'm Brian Horowitz. We have a great couple of shows coming up, and it is a topic that fits the crambones absolutely perfectly. So allow me to introduce a group of folks who don't suffer from insanity. They enjoy every minute of it. First and foremost, from the Richter Observatory, he can only sleep on a pile of old magazines. He's got back issues. Heil Richter is here.
Speaker 4: I might be squooy, but I ain't going to alcat twash. What's up Dot?
Speaker 3: A great from paranormally yours. She recently stuck two bananas on her feet and pulled them slippers. Y'all.
Speaker 2: Nuclem's back.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, it's a visual.
Speaker 2: Hello everyone.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The scary thing is I got a visual on it myself.
Speaker 3: Especially trying to go downstairs. That would be make sure you video that.
Speaker 2: I hope do that very well under normal circumstance.
Speaker 3: Well, this might it'll make it faster. It might not make it better, but it would make it faster.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hope, I hope.
Speaker 4: There's these jokes on a sign for the way this show is going, because.
Speaker 3: We're going down. We're circling the drain before we get started. From a silver Scream, she saw a snail crawl into a bar in order a drink, and the bartender said, hey, we don't serve your kind here, and he threw them out the door. Two years later, she's sitting in the same bar and crawls the same snail, who goes, what the hell was that? Mercedes KA, I love that.
Speaker 1: Yes, hey, everybody, I embraced my insanity.
Speaker 3: Yeahheartedly, the only way to get through all the right people do. At last, but not least, the host of shaving Cream, she poured a root beer into a square glass and now she just has beer. Barbara Veil was back.
Speaker 2: Oh man, I was worried about another math joke.
Speaker 3: Thanks, all right, Well, this week and next week we're talking about insanity, and I don't remember who came up with the topic, but uh oh, it was Mercedes. There's a shocker. Why don't we hop right in? Mercedes are going to lead us off?
Speaker 1: Okay insanity? So of course I was going to do an Alice Cooper song. I was going to do Ballot, a Dwight fry about a guy at a mental institution, but apparently we've done it before on the show. So my song for today is by the band Slade from nineteen seventy two. The Slade original lineup was Natty Holder, Dave Hill, Jim Lee and Don Powell. So the first time I saw Slade, Aerosmiths was opening for them in nineteen seventy four at the Felt Forum at Madison Square Garden. I had pushed my way to the very front because you could do that back then. My ribs were pressing up against the stage and people behind were pushing. I did have bruises later, but I was really happy. At that same show, I grabbed Aerosmith's Joe Perry's left boot and he snarled and kicked at me. Insane right, Well worth it out anyway.
Speaker 2: Later.
Speaker 1: An English rock band formed in nineteen sixty six. They started out as the in Betweens and That's Apostrophe and Betweens and early record of this band, You Better Run, was produced by Kim Foley, who managed The Runaways and had worked for Alan Freed and Barry Gordie, who founded Motown record label. They were offered a contract at Fontana Records if they changed their name, which the band was not happy about because of the reputation they had finally built up as the in Betweens, but eventually conceded and changed the band name to Alt Ambrose Slade, inspired by their record label's secretary, she had a name. She had named her handbag Ambrose and her shoes Slade.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: That is amazing to me, so I immediately have named everything in my closet after their After their first album flopped, they were approached by Chad Chandler, the basis for The Animals, who had managed Jimmy Hendricks. Chandler was not happy about the first album and suggested they change their look to skinheads and changed their name to Slade. Ban was not happy about that look. They had all been working on growing their hair for years. Initially, they couldn't get on top of the Pops because the producer's son had been beat up by skinheads.
Speaker 2: Oops.
Speaker 1: So later they did grow their hair again and followed the glam movement of the nineteen seventies. They played Top of the Pops with the song titled because I Love You It's coz I luv you, to the horror of British school teachers. The misspellings of titles became a trademark for the band. Another song being look what You've done? What is WoT done is dun and take me Back Back Ome back as bak Ome is apostrophe Ome and their third record when their third actual number one single in the UK Mama We're All Crazy Now, which is my song for this topic, and weird is w e e R and Crazy cr a Zee. The music was written by Jim Lee and lyrics by Natty Holder. In nineteen seventy four, their popularity in the US, sorry in the UK was waiting, so they made a move to the US, bringing with them twelve tons of equipment. Wow, so Brian help me out here. But isn't that like a lot?
Speaker 3: That sounds like a lot to me.
Speaker 1: And they toured with zz Top, Black Sabbath and Arismith which brings me back to my experience that I talked about at the top. Slade is still playing shows and releasing albums, one being Whatever Happened to Slade from Graffiti that was seen in London, which I think is hilarious of course. Also they have released fifteen studio albums and four live albums. So Natty Holder makes sort of a primal scream during what he did do that and during a woke up yikes doing a vocal warm up. I needed some vocal warm up today in preparation to record this song. The producer recorded it and put it in the song before the verse, so listen for that. So let's hear mama, we're all crazy now.
Speaker 7: Oh lot, mom, don't stop. Now come home another tron. I will come on home. I want from my mom. That's fine, that's I said.
Speaker 6: My way now said more now said zy Now.
Speaker 8: Who you told me a full fight I wanted and you tease me And no, my ladies said, I don't.
Speaker 9: Stop, come another Troy, come on. I'm no, That's that's what I say. Now shut.
Speaker 6: Now, good set saying now stop, I don't want to drink. I see that steal know to fall in love. My dear said, don't stop now come on and that I want, that's suck, that's s s set.
Speaker 1: So here's what happened. Jim Lee had seen Chuck Berry play a show and was impressed with the audience's reaction and participation. At the time, he said, everybody in the audience was singing along to his tunes. It wasn't just a few people, who was everyone. Lee explained late years later, I thought that was amazing. Why not write the crowd into your own songs. The lyrics were written after a wild night of playing an NME Pole winners concert where many bottles and seats had been smashed. Surveying the aftermath, Holder thought, christ, everyone must have been crazy tonight. He goes on to say there was a mountain of broken chairs in the middle of the hall. Holder says, looking back now, it might have happened at Empire Pool, or it might have been in Liverpool, but it was somewhere massive. This was our first real concert tour as headliners, and it gave us a real taste of how big the band was becoming. It was mostly a male audience and the seats always took a real smashing. It used to cause us to fortune. So that's how he came up with the idea for the song today, Lee and Holder felt Mama Were All Crazy Now was the first time they could get the audience to sing on mass. It was the first time they were able to capture that. Incidentally, the song originally was titled My MI Were All Crazy Now, but miss was misheard by the producer. It was recorded all together in one room, partitioned off, but playing together as a band, and I think that's pretty cool. The song has been covered by Quiet Riot, James Last, the Runaways and more Like Orchestral Stuff. Their follow up single to that was in nineteen seventy three, Come On Feel the Noise, which went straight to number and you know how that's spelled right.
Speaker 3: C us, Yes, yes, you used to annoy me no.
Speaker 1: End, which went straight to number one in the UK, the first time a single had done that since the Beatles Get Back in nineteen sixty nine. It only reached number ninety eight in the US. So it's really not a deeper meaning just go crazy and have fun.
Speaker 3: Oh love it all right? Thank you, Mercedes. Perfect lead off for our topic tonight, We're going to take a quick break of quick break. Let you take your meds and we'll be back.
Speaker 2: In Hudson River Radio dot Com.
Speaker 1: This concludes the first part of this cassette.
Speaker 3: Please turn the cassette over and begin again on side too.
Speaker 1: This is Hudson River Radio dot Com.
Speaker 3: Ah, and welcome back tonight. We're talking about insanity. So who better than the one and only Neil Richter.
Speaker 4: Ah and I shall rise to the occasion. Thank you very much. And I've never condoned insanity, drugs or alcohol for anyone, but you know, in my case it always worked. But in rock and roll music, particularly in the psychedelic sixties, when drugs like LSD or at their height, the theme of insanity was quite prevalent. And at the forefront of this movement was the British band Pink Floyd and one of its founding members see Sid Barrett. Now, although he was only in the band for the first two years and only appeared on their first two albums, The Man, the Myth and the Legend of Sid Barrett has cast a huge shadow over Pink Floyd's entire career. Now, by the seventies and eighties, Pink Floyd international superstars. Nobody can deny they were selling millions upon millions of albums like Dark Side of the Mood in the Wall and both of which delve deeply into the themes of insanity and mental illness, and in fact, their nineteen seventy five album Wish You Were Here was basically a tribute to Sid Barrett, written and recorded long after Sid had left the band because of his mental health problems. Now incidentally, Sid Barrett reportedly adopted his nickname Sid from an old British jazz bass player named Sid the Beat Barrett, and our Sid spelled his with a y. Sid the beat Barrett spelled his with an I, so I guess it was to avoid confusion between the two. And of course Our Sid was only fourteen years old at the time, so I don't really think there would have been that much confusion going on. But another account says that his schoolmates gave him the nickname because he wore like a working class styled cap and Sid was a working class name, you know, like hey, hey mac Hey, Bud over there, Hey Sid. So however he got it. He used both names Roger and Sid because his real name is Roger. He used them interchangeably, but his sister Rosemary said that he never allowed anyone to call him Sid when he was home, you know, in the family home. So when Pink Floyd began, they were playing cover versions of American R and B songs, But by nineteen sixty six they'd begun to develop a style of their own, mixing improvised jazz into their rock and roll. Drummer Nick Mason recalled that most of these ideas came from Sid Barrett. He became the band's primary songwriter, combining whimsical styles of singing, stream of consciousness lyrics, and on top of that, he added psychedelic effects such as distortion, echo, and feedback from his guitar. In nineteen sixty seven, with Barrett at the helm, Pink Floyd released their debut album, Piper at the Gates of Dawn. Sid wrote all but three of the eleven songs on the album, but by nineteen sixty eight his input and behavior became increasingly erratic, mostly because of his heavy drug use, which possibly may have accelerated or exacerbated some underlying undiagnosed mental illness like schizophrenia, and it's also speculated that he had also become disillusioned with the music business in general and really had no interest in being a pop star or a rock star at all, unlike the other members and all the other musicians at the time, that's what they wanted. Did really seemed to care about that now. A recently released documentary called Have You Got It Yet, a film that chronicle Sid's journey from being a groundbreaking musician to becoming manic and mentally unstable, seems to suggest a combination of all these factors. And by the way, the film's title have You Got It Yet, was taken from the title of a song Barrett had been showing to the band. Now Intentionally or not, he kept changing the arrangement of the song as they went along. Each time he played it for him, he played it a different way, making it impossible for them to learn. They were like, what are you doing now? Was he just pranking them? Or was he like intentionally in a psychotically passive, aggressive way, trying to get them to fire him because he just didn't want to do it anymore. We'll never know, We'll never know. Whatever the case, the man who had once been discribed his joyful, friendly, and extroverted had become depressed and withdrawn, with disorganized speech, memory losses, memory lapses, and a blank expressionalist, dead eyed stare, He was unable to recognize his friends and often didn't even know where he was. He only contributed one song to their second LP, A Saucerful of Secrets, and that's the song we're about to hear, called jug Band Blues, and some claim that this song he wrote as a farewell to the band after sensing that they were probably about to fire him because of his deteriorating mental condition.
Speaker 10: It is so considerate thing, and I'm most obliged to you for.
Speaker 6: It's clear that I'm not. I never knew something, and I'm grateful.
Speaker 10: But you threw away mild shoes.
Speaker 6: And brought me here instead dressing red.
Speaker 10: And I'm wandering who could be writing this song?
Speaker 2: I don't care.
Speaker 10: It's a nut shine and I don't care if nothing is mine, and I don't care.
Speaker 6: I loveles win you. I'll do my loving in the winter.
Speaker 10: Up to sex and.
Speaker 6: Then Queen. Then what exactxact.
Speaker 4: Exact, And that, my friends, is what Pink Floyd used to sound like. And obviously by a Dark Side of the Moon the whole sound changed. But they put out I think five or six LPs before they really broke worldwide. They were they were big in England, but not like they would become you know, they go worldwide. But now, as Sid's condition worsened, he would just stand stock still on stage, sometimes with his arms just limp at his side, and refused to sing. Or he'd stand there and detune his guitar one string at a time until they'd all fallen off onto the floor, and when that was done, he'd just leave the stage.
Speaker 3: Performance art, Yeah, I don't know when the whole band is counting on you, I don't know if that counts as performance art.
Speaker 4: Well that by that By the end of nineteen sixty seven, Pink Floyd added guitarist David Gilmour as a fifth member, particularly to supplement Barrett's erratic behavior on stage during live performances, until matters kind of came to a head in January of nineteen sixty eight. While driving to a gig and they were going up collecting all the members, one of the band members asked or not they should even pick up Sid, and according to Gilmour, the answer was a unanimous nah, let's not.
Speaker 2: Bother oops so.
Speaker 1: Out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can understand it, I get it, but yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: That pretty much signaled the end of Barrett's tenure with Pink Floyd, and by early March of nineteen sixty eight the band held a meeting and it was agreed that Barrett would leave and Gilmour would permanently take over the guitar role. And as I say, the rest is history. Now as far as the song goes, jug Band Blues. The basic tracks were recorded at the legendary Abbey Road Studios, with Norman Smith handling the production. Now, Smith had previously worked as an engineer there at Abbey Road along with George Martin and the Beatles, so there was some you know, there was some heavy hitters, and you know they were they were doing well in England. Nobody heard about him over here, but you know when you're at Abbey Road with you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, with those guys here with Beatle pedigree.
Speaker 4: There, that's not too shabby anyway. Smith claimed it was his idea to later add the brass arrangement, and Barrett had suggested, well why not use a Salvation Army band? Okay, So after some considerable effort, apparently, they assembled an eight piece Salvation Army Band and booked them for a three hour session, to which Barrett arrived about an hour late, so now we're down to two hours and Smith then asked Barrett, well, what is his ideas? What do you want the brass band to play? And Sid said, well, just let them play whatever they want, basically just the chaotic Salvation Army freak out that you kind of heard. And then he walked out of the studio and didn't return, leaving Smith to write out what arrangement there was for the Salvation Army Band. After Pink Floyd, Sid Barrett had a brief solo career, releasing a single and two albums recorded with the help of three other of his old bandmates in Pink Floyd, and he then left the music industry entirely and retired from public life in nineteen seventy two, probably the one sane thing he did. But now, according to his sister Rosemary, who became his primary caretaker at that point, he returned to his love of painting and also took up photography and she would take him out to photograph, you know, landscapes or seescapes or whatever, and then he would often create paintings from the pictures he had taken, after which he would take them outside and light them on fire.
Speaker 3: Already then maybe he didn't have enough storage space.
Speaker 4: Maybe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's one way to look at it.
Speaker 1: They were done, you know, onto the next thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, anyway, she said he had also developed an interest in horticulture and gardening, and he enjoyed going to London to look at major art collections there, and he also made regular trips to the botanical gardens. Now, this is the kicker, this story. This one blows my mind.
Speaker 1: It's just more.
Speaker 4: Now. In June of nineteen seventy five, Pink Floyd were at Abbey Road Studios again. At this point they were already established thing and they were working on the Wish You Were Here LP when they noticed a fat, bald man with shaved eyebrows standing near the back of the recording studio, just kind of hovering, And it took a while until they realized who it was. It was Sid Barrett. He looked totally different from when the last time they saw him, and he'd come on in on his own, unannounced and unnoticed, and he.
Speaker 3: Actually got into the studios with so security is a little different nowadays. Number one.
Speaker 4: And the song they were working on when when he was came in was shine on You Crazy Diamond. The song that they had written about sid himself. Wow, Wow, can you believe that? And and he asked him, you know, sincerely, he said, are you ready for me to record my guitar part yet? And they kind of went well and they kind of lied and said, well, now we've already got that done. Thanks, you know, don't don't worry about it. We've got it. And they played the tape of him and asked him what he thought. Apparently he didn't seem too impressed, and then just left. Wow, but is that is that crazy? That he just he showed up at on the day that they were recording the song song about him?
Speaker 2: About him?
Speaker 1: That's insane.
Speaker 4: And there's pictures they had, you know, this was in that film I mentioned earlier, And there are pictures you can see and it looks nothing like him from the you know, you look at the pictures from you know, in the day and it looked hard enough you can see it.
Speaker 3: But it's like, wow, Yeah, if you didn't know it was him, you wouldn't recognize him. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Wow. And I had first heard about that in the film that you know when I said that, And now I looked it up and in fact, yeah, that really that occurred, and that that that blew my mind. I thought, that's that's wow.
Speaker 3: Was that the last time they saw him? You know that.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure, but it you know, it may have been he's not with us anymore.
Speaker 4: No, no, Well, in nineteen ninety six, Barrett was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame alone with you know, all the other members of Pink Floyd. And then yeah, he did die of pancreatic cancer in two thousand and six. So there you have it. A song about being insane or going insane, written and performed by a real, live insane person.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a story.
Speaker 9: Wow.
Speaker 1: I think I think you win tonight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think, hands down definitely. That was a good one. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, you know what, And as much as you know I like to sit and joke about being crazy and being insane, it's really it's really not a funny matter. It's not it's you think, especially when I was young, you kind of like you kind of romanticize it. Oh yeah, I could be a mad genius. You know, it must be great to be crazy like that until you realize it's you can't turn it off. If you're really that, you can't just like Okay, I'm done now and flip a switch and then you're back to normal and home and watch TV. You know, so yeah again, I just want to say it's it's really not funny. It's funny to think you're crazy, but if you really are now the one thing about the word the other thing. The other thing about about sid here is you know, he was kind of like hinting at it. And most crazy people are all crazy people, I think, or what they're not aware of themselves. They don't know that they're great, they think they're the they're the same one.
Speaker 3: That's what I was going to actually mention is crazy. I've had a bunch of experiences like you know, too bad Jesses and here are a medical person back in my previous life. You know, you're dealing with people with mental illness and it comes and goes for some of them, and they're aware, they are aware that you know, the symptoms come and go. And I to me, that just sounds like it's much worse because you know you're going to cycle back into that at some point.
Speaker 4: Well that that sounds like his story here, and that was pretty much the last song and the last you know, connection he had with the band, and that was like pretty much the only song, you know, the only song he wrote it really even played on because he was pretty much ineffective otherwise at that point. So but I just find that it's such a haunting song too. I mean it gets a little wacky in the middle there.
Speaker 3: But yeah, but when you know why and you know the story, I think I.
Speaker 4: Think it gives it a different It puts it in a whole different light.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So anyway, there you have it.
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, wow, okay, great, and I get to follow you tonight. So thanks raised the bar just a little bit, and yeah, we're gonna do things a little out of order. I'm going to go go last tonight. And I went with a song called They're Coming to Take Me Away haha by Napoleon the fourteenth.
Speaker 1: Remember I remember that from my childhood, so remember that.
Speaker 3: I knew it for a different reason. But we'll get to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: This was released a few years before and I was born. It was a nineteen sixty six Warner Brothers release that became an instant success. It's a song that's actually spoken in a marching rhythm, based on an old Scottish tune titled the campbells are coming. It's spoken over a bass drum, a snare drum, handclaps, and a tambourine that is not played by Ringo. Napoleon the fourteenth is really a New Yorker named Jerry Samuels who was born in nineteen thirty eight. He wrote songs for other artists. He later became a book booking agent, but he spent most of his career as a recording engineer back in the analog days, which I think is so cool. Samuels came up with the song while he was working at Associated Recording Studios in New York City. We will come back to that in a minute. The success of their Coming to Take Me Away led to a full album of his songs, most of which have mental health themes, such as I Live in a split level, Head and Yeah and Bats in My Belfry. None of those other tracks kind of had the success that this one did, though. He also had a nineteen sixty eight follow up album Shelved because he went a little bit too far. That album was titled, for God's Sake, Stop the Feces. I think just the title alone probably set up flags with the power that be one track called the note details Suicide in depth. Another track called Rape was also a little bit too detailed for Yeah, for general consumption, we'll say. The album was later released by a small label in twenty twenty two. If you're interested in going back and hearing that kind of stuff, he did write some funny stuff, but this is not for kids. There's your disclaimer, all right, if you want to go back and listen. As far as they're coming to take me away. It's a spoken song, but you'll hear that the vocals rise and fall and pitch, and it sounds artificial. Nowadays, we would just do that in pro tools on a computer, but this was analog at the time. It was an analog recording done on a reel to real multi track. So what he did Samuels recorded the track, the music track in real time straight through, and then when he went back and overdubbed his vocal track as he was saying the words, he would slow the tape reel down. He would slow down his vocals to match to stay in time with the music, but he would continue to speak in his normal pitch, so that when the tape was later played back at full speed in steady time, the March would keep time, but his vocal pitch would then go up.
Speaker 4: You know that is not as easy as it sounds now, I'm like, wow, no.
Speaker 3: And it's kind of hard nowadays. I think it's actually for the youngsters in the digital age to wrap their head around it, because now you could go and you know, watch a YouTube video or listen to a podcast. You can double time it or change the speed just to move it along, and it keeps the pitch the same. It just doubles the speed. That's not how analog tape works. As you slowed it down, the pitch went down. As you sped it up, the pitch went up. And he used that like the chim mounks. Yeah, exactly, but if but he had to do it on the fly and get it and get it in real time. Yes, he's adjusting the speed of the recorder as he's doing this in real time.
Speaker 4: So as you were explaining it, my head was spinning trying to help. Yeah, you know now, you know to get that that is insane. That just sit and actually do that, you know, and if it is, it'll drive you insane.
Speaker 3: But yes, yeah, is it all him.
Speaker 1: Music?
Speaker 3: He wasn't the band now there was a band that came in and played, but he did the vocals himself and he did the engineering. So the B side to the song is the same song with the title spelled backwards, and it's the song played backwards. The label is printed upside down, including the Warner Brothers logo, so you flip it over. It's literally flipping everything over side note side, little story. This is how I knew the song. Jerry Samuels stood up Howard Stern live on the air back when Howard Stern was on WNBC in New York City on AM, back when AM was still a powerhouse. Howard used this song as his opening theme for about a year. That's how I knew it. I was listening to Howard Stern and he set up an interview with Samuels to talk about the song. So when the time came, he's live on the air, dials up Samuels and got his answering machine. Oh, Howard was not a happy camper, went off for a couple of minutes, ago called him back, got the answering machine again. So if you want to hear that, that is actually up on YouTube. Howard is doing his out of the closet gay Stern character, and you got to remember when this was so this was the younger, less mature Howard Stern. But I think it's still pretty funny that he had this whole interview set up and Sam was just stood him up. That was it. Now he has to fill this airtime and he went he went a little berserk, but he stayed in character. I'll give him that. Do you want the spoiler alert before or after the song?
Speaker 6: Aren't you supposed to do a spoiler alert first?
Speaker 3: I'm thinking first spoiler. Do you want to know the ending of the song now or do you want to wait till the end? I would say now, that would be my voice, all right, Okay, So the lyrics seemed to be talking about a woman who left him and his descent into madness. That's what they're coming to take me away, they mentioned. He mentions a funny farm, which was an outdate now an outdated term for a psychiatric hospital. At the end of the song, he adds the line, well you just wait, they'll find you yet, and when they do, they'll put you in the aspcau mangy mutt. He's singing about a dog. He's not singing about a woman. So there I thought he was calling a human a dog. That would be a bigger insult and probably a little bit funnier. But no, no, the idea is he's talking about a dog. So let's check out. They're coming to take me away by Napoleon the fourteenth.
Speaker 2: Remember when you ran away and I got on my knees and begged you not to leave, because I go berser.
Speaker 4: Well, you left me anyhow, and then the days got worse and worse.
Speaker 2: And now you see I've gone completely out of my mind. They're coming to take me away.
Speaker 6: Haha.
Speaker 2: They're coming to take me away.
Speaker 5: Oh he has a tunny farm where life is beautiful all the time. Then I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white's coats and they're coming to take me away.
Speaker 3: You thought it was a joke, and so you laughed.
Speaker 2: You laughed when I had said that losing you would make me flip my lip. Right, you know you laughed. I heard you laugh. You laughed, You laughed and laughed, and you left. But now you know I'm utterly mad man. They're coming to take me away. Ha ha, They're coming to take me away. Oh he ha.
Speaker 5: To the happy home with trees and flowers and chirping birds and basket weavers who sit and smile.
Speaker 3: And swiddle their thumbs and sows, and they're.
Speaker 6: Coming to take me away.
Speaker 2: I cut your food, I cleaned your house. And this is how you pay me back for all my kind, unselfish loving deeds.
Speaker 6: Ha.
Speaker 2: Well you just wait, I'll find you yet. And when they do, they'll put you in the ASPCA young and they're coming to take me away.
Speaker 8: Ha ha.
Speaker 2: They're coming to take me away funny farm where life is beautiful all the time.
Speaker 5: And then I'll be happy to see those nice young men in the clean white coats and they're coming to take me away with trees and the flowers and the dripping birds and we they're just sing to smile. It's fittless thumbs and toes, and they're coming to take me away.
Speaker 3: All the cranbones are singing along.
Speaker 2: Words.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it's really funny. I remember that song being a lot longer mm hmm, like just my perception of it, It just went on and on.
Speaker 4: That's really funny. You said that because I was thinking the same thing. And I've heard of a million times since, you know. Yeah, And it just said, Wow, that seemed really short because it seemed like it just kept getting you know, going on and on and getting worse and worse, and you know, crazier and crazier. And what what was the year exactly? Again?
Speaker 3: Did sixty six?
Speaker 4: Okay? Because that that would yeah, that was prime time. And in my you know, I was like about ten years old, had just discovered Mad magazine, which just you know, and it linked right in with that. So and I guess it was kind of like what do they call it, the zeitgeist of the time, was you know that kind of silly I'm crazy, And I think, you know, it was a harbinger of things to come later on in the decade. That's all I can say.
Speaker 3: Yep, good use of the studio too, Brian.
Speaker 1: I don't want to jump on you on your line, but I'm done. Did it oh you are?
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: It was banned when it first came out, wasn't it on the radio?
Speaker 3: So was some some places did, some places didn't.
Speaker 1: A child and I remember something about.
Speaker 3: That, And there's always going to be somebody that wants to ban something somewhere for something, you know.
Speaker 1: See, I thought it reached like number three on the Billboard.
Speaker 3: It was a huge hit.
Speaker 4: I don't know how it ranked, but I think I first heard it, not on the radio, but actually, you know, some of the you know, the older kids, you know, like you know, the twelve year olds going around, you know, singing it, and that was like, what are they.
Speaker 3: What are they talking about?
Speaker 4: This is crazy?
Speaker 3: Yeah I heard it.
Speaker 2: Oh I get it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but how many times have we seen over and over you try to ban something that just makes it more popular.
Speaker 1: Oh oh yeah, yeah yeah. But I just remember it as a child. I remember that being kind of a big deal. As the rest of time I'd ever heard of a song being banned on the radio. That's shocking, right right.
Speaker 3: Well, that's all I've got anything else to add for We wrap it up there, Cranbones.
Speaker 1: I think we're all crazy now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think we better get out of here.
Speaker 2: To us all the way.
Speaker 3: I think it's time to pull the plug for our own safety. All right, Thank you all. We'll be back next week with another round of insanity here on the Rock and Roll History Show. Until then, don't forget to subscribe in your favorite podcast app, and don't forget to check out all the other shows we do here. At Hudson River Radio. There is a little subject for everybody as a special treat. Barber's hosting next week's episode, so we're looking forward to that and we'll see it then. Until then, peace out, everybody, rock.
Speaker 9: Cop Bottom, Okay, Bye bye.
Speaker 3: Hudson River Radio dot com a subsidiariya of Glacier Entertainment LLC, potentially successful its multi hundred dollars corporation