Speaker 1: He'll be don't be bab it's the internet. You're busy. Let's do this for November seventh, twenty twenty four. For the next hour or so, let me help you sort through the world of gaming on Game mess Mornings Live with Me Jeff Grubb. Today we get the latest on Grand theft, Auto six and Nintendo has to answer to its investors. But first please join me and welcome you today's co host and returning champion to Game Mess Mornings. It's Jan a joa Jan. How are you doing?
Speaker 2: I have Risen the happy use ease, okay, Risen, Yes, of course, yeah, you're for that joke.
Speaker 1: That's It's very good. How you doing bad?
Speaker 2: I'll you know, health wise, I'm okay, Well, I'll I don't know where or when I'll talk about what happened, but well it'll eventually. Maybe you know what we talk about enough health problems of the mental and physical variety on voicemail dumb truck. Maybe I'll save it for there.
Speaker 1: That's good. Yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 2: I did ask three doctors if consuming nine hot dogs in quick succession did affect my health, and they all three of them looked at me, and I felt the gears turning in their head of did I go to however, many years of medical school to hear this problem and they all said, no, okay, it's okay.
Speaker 1: You're in the clear. So Giant Bomb is not liable. There we go. That's that's all we were looking for. Everybody. Yeah, yeah, that's uh in the clear. Yeah, hey yeah, voicemail dump truck sounds a good place. Well, we'll air all of our medical histories on there. Let's do let's do it sending your health questions everybody, because we got that.
Speaker 2: We totally got that. Uh and Grub, I know that we would do the plugs at the end. And I know that this is a video game news show, but because of current state of events. By the way, fantastic message from the Tippity Topity Yesterday's episode of Games Mornings with Jason Finelle shouts out to Jason Hunt.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Yeah, absolutely, good boy.
Speaker 2: I just want to take this time to further re emphasize Grub and I know I'm springing this on you do it. GiantBomb dot Com will forever be a safe haven for our BYPOC friends, women across people that identify as women, our trans friends, forever and always we bang with y'all all right, forever and always. So if you don't feel safe, you can at least feel safe in this little pocket of the internet. And we love you kiss on the cheek yep.
Speaker 1: That's uh, it goes doubly yep. We uh just want you to feel safe here. That's it feels like the thing we can control. Uh, and so we're gonna do our best to make it.
Speaker 2: Make that so despite all the dumb bs that we talk about and the different names that we come up with as vanity u r LS for this website. Uh, and maybe maybe I do fond over after fictional characters too much, I still support you over that.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, you're more important than our desires for video game characters. All Right. We've decided that once I will stop.
Speaker 2: Being the text avery wolf with his tongue rolling out. And but if anything we bang with.
Speaker 1: Show yep it's a yeah, double horny dot com, but doubly safe dot com as well. Everybody, Yeah, yeah, just keep coming hang out here, like like, I think that's what's something you can control as well, right, Like, go to the places you know, go to ground, right, go go someplace where you can recoup recover and we kind of like do our best for that for this to be that place for you. So yeah, keep keep hagging.
Speaker 2: And hey, if that message bothers you at all, that we support our trans friends, support women, support bipoc people, then you know, get.
Speaker 1: Out of here. Get out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, learn or learn?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean, just I promise you I'm happier than you if like just try it, just try being like more like us, and I promise you'll be happier. It really is the truth and has a house. What about that? Yeah, exactly, Yeah, just to do better. All right, let's explain what we do here most weekdays, I Jeff Grub will help piece your gaming life back together. That includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting. For all these topics, I'll get the input of a bona fide expert who will make me look smart. If you were watching live on twitch, welcome. You can always listen to the show later on podcast feeds by searching for Game mess Mornings, or find the RSS on giant bomb dot com. You can also catch the show later with chapters and timestamps on YouTube. Hello YouTube. All right, we have a lot to get into, so let's start the morning mess with Grand Theft Auto six is still on track for fall twenty twenty five release. This is from Tom Ivan over if you GC the Grand Theft Auto six release date remains on track for fall of calendar twenty twenty five. Publisher Take two confirmed the games planned launch window hasn't changed as part of its second quarter financial results on Wednesday. The first Grand Theft Auto six trailer was released in December twenty twenty three, confirming a planned twenty twenty five release date. It racked up more than one hundred million views in just two days, surpassing the lifetime the use of GTA five's debut trailer, making it one of the most viewed trailers in YouTube history. Updating its financial guidance in May, Take two narrowed the game's release window from calendar twenty twenty five to the fall of next year, a fall of twenty twenty five. During a subsequent interview with CNBC, Take two CEO Strauss Zelnik discussed the process of deciding product release dates and how companies know when the time is right for the creative perspective. From the creative perspective, there are elements that you can actually measure, for example, the number of bugs in a title, and every one of us will make sure we have as few bugs as possible before we allow Shut up, Strauss, you're not doing what do you talk about? However, in the case of an extraordinary title for which there are extraordinary expectations, it's not really about bugs. It's about creating an experience that no one's seen before. And Rockstar Games seeks perfection in what they do, and perfection is indeed hard to measure. It really is more subjective than objective. Boy, that's a bunch of bullshit, But yeah, whatever, Hey GTA six. They started off saying twenty twenty five. I think when they were saying that jan we were speculating. I think a lot of analysts were expecting that to mean potentially early twenty twenty five. They never said that. When they did narrow it down, they narrowed it down beyond the current fiscal year. And the reason we thought it would be this fiscal year, so like by March of twenty twenty five, was they had big ideas in their head and that they were telling investors about big numbers for the next fiscal year or whatever, or for the current fiscal year that we're still in, but that shifted, and so you know, kind of a delay, not technically delay, but a little bit of a delay. So they put it in late twenty twenty five. So the things already kind of had a many technical delay, but they're not right now they're saying, well, there won't be another one. By fall twenty twenty five, we're gonna be playing this thing. And I mean, I keep feeling like, now we got to get one big delay for this thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this game is I hate to use this, bru, but it feels too important and too big to not take all of the time necessary to address whatever bugs, to address whatever else needs to happen with the release and the launch of the game. That I do feel like they have been very vague about a specific time window that narrowing it down to even fall twenty twenty five at this point still feels like they're padding out time to fall twenty twenty five or like latter half of twenty twenty five, early twenty twenty six. And it feels like that I don't want to say that read that in the tea leaves, but it feels like it is a distinct possibility for GTA six, especially if they're talking already talking about addressing all of these bugs now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we you know, and there's a lot from Take two here in the news today, and a lot of the stories are addressing exactly what you're getting at when you when you started there that GTA six is so important. I mean, obviously it's I think it is important to the industry, but it's clearly massively important to the future of Take two, to the point where it like, as that game goes, so does that corporation because they don't have a lot of other eggs in their basket that you know. That's one of the things we're going to talk about here in a second from them. So they you know, saying they have to get it right. You know, it's it's software plus art. It's difficult and weird, and and they're gonna, you know, we'll put something out and it might not resemble what the game will look like in five years time. Like of course we've we've been through that dance a bunch of times now. But I think ideally what they're looking for here is put out a game that just gets a bunch of tens and has a working online mode that they can start to like build onto immediately and just immediately restart the engine of a game that can sell two hundred and five million copies, which is you know, we again. We'll talk about that in a second. So yeah, honestly, how do you get to the point where you feel good about putting out a game like that? It feels impossible.
Speaker 2: It feels absolutely impossible. Gro But at the same time, I feel like the landscape of game releases has become so different and expectations have become so different. If if GTA six decided to launch as like an open beta or like a beta phase or unfinished phase, like a before they hit one point zero, people would still eat that up. People would still be flocking to download GTA six and play it in whatever state it's in, even if it's maybe just a stripped down GTA online mode or the full story isn't there yet. I think if Rockstar wanted to go to that approach, they would still sell Gangbusters.
Speaker 1: M h. I think correct.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if they wanted to treat it like, hey, you guys test out all the bugs for us, people would jump at the chance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and uh, that might be pretty similar to what I think, you know, the online mode ends up looking like for this uh, you know, I imagine it does go something like GTA six launches and it is very much about these new characters and their world and the story there. And then there is a GTA online mode that sort of resets the clock in the way that the SIMS often does or the Madden games at the beginning and a generation does or you lose several significant features, but they make big promises about what the future could hold and yeah, and so you kind of like start small and it does feel a little bit like a testing period and maybe really maybe it is you know, gt online origine kind of launched that way unfinished, you know, not really very robust, easy to bounce off of, but it had some juice and that was pretty obvious right away to the developers, which is why they immediately went into supporting it. And now here we are several years later, and it is just this machine that prints money.
Speaker 2: Even if they even if GTA six has like a bad initial launch that is full of bugs, I don't think it would hurt it in the same way that it hurt games like Cyberpunk, yeah, or even Fallout seventy six. Because I think the name GTA six, people will just the greater general audience will just grin their teeth and grit their teeth and bear it, yeah, because they want to be in that world or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it's there's not a lot of other options for getting that thing because you know, Grand Theft Auto has has pushed out all the other competitors in the space and really nothing you know, rises to its levels. So and it's a cultural, you know, iconic institution now, you know, with the trailer did come out for Grand Theft Auto six and it is instantly, you know, one of the most watched videos for a trailer for a product ever. So it's you know, Grand Theft Auto has that sort of cachet and I think people will want to love it no matter what. Now, you know, if it's fundamentally broken and like people are losing their saves and things like that, it's so big. It could also like turn into a really big thing where it's like you know, Cyberpunk had news stories and stuff like that written about it in the mainstream media. That could happen. But I think Grand Theft Auto just will is this unstoppable force, right, and there are no immovable objects you can put in front of it.
Speaker 2: I'm expecting GT six to have new stories around the launch regardless. Oh right, for whether it's like I can't believe they're letting people steal cars in a game. They're shaking butts.
Speaker 1: They are shaking butts. To see that in the trailer and the butt the butt shaking. The physics technology was very impressive, which is what I respect. I respect the technology all right. Like I said, there's a whole bunch more of you know about GTA six, about GT five, about Take two. Uh speaking of g t A six and maybe, hey, what was this game? Is this game gonna work on the Xbox Series S? The developers are saying they're not worried about it. That's according to Eddie McCoo at GameSpot. Grand Theft Auto six is in development for the PlayStation five and Xbox Series X and S. But how will the game look and perform on the relatively less powerful Series S. We don't know for sure, but Take two boss Strauss Zelnik is not losing sleep over it. During Take Two's latest earnings call Excuse Me, Zelnick was asked about the Series S being, by design a lower spec console. Compared to the series X and P S five g t GT six is expected to be a boundary pushing game technically speaking, prompting concerns by some that it won't be a great experience on the console. Look, we support the platforms where the consumers are for as long as there there, and we find a way to support platforms despite different levels of tech. Our labels are really good at that. I'm not really worried, and I think, you know, I buy this because you know they are going to want to put this thing out on PC, supporting a wide variety of of skew or of you know, capabilities there this you know, this is also a series that you know historically, you know, GT five launched on the Xbox three sixty in the PS three, right, And that's always messes me up whenever I remember that because I just do not associate that game with those consoles at all. But that's where it started. So them like kind of building this game for Xbox series s and having that in mind, it is probably something that's happening. But they're also building it in such a way that, like they know this game is going to be around for a long time, so they can continue to improve it and update it for a very long time to take advantage of new hardware as it comes along. That sounds right to me.
Speaker 2: How about you, absolutely grub They want to hit uh, they want to hit every everyone where they're at, especially if you look at the math and how there are still people playing Called of Duty, the madd Ends of the World on PS four, playing Fortnite, even on PS four Xbox Series s. Rock Star is gonna try and hit those people where they're at still because they don't have to move consoles, they just have to move copies of the game. I think there's also a world where, maybe six months down the line from the initial console PC release, we'll see rumblings of GTA six coming out on phones. Yea, because you know, we see Apple talking all the time about like, hey, you can play Resident Evil four on your phone. It looks great somehow justify spending sixty dollars on your phone for a game. I think that world is quickly going to also come to phones as well as the old generation of consoles.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's possible that God, yeah, the old gym I think they will probably look something like this. It comes out for Xbox Series X and S and PlayStation five, and then we're sort of like in a holding pattern until you know. It'll take advantage of the PS five pro obviously, but then I think next year we get the PC version, and then not long after that, like by the next year, we could have new Xbox hardware by it's one twenty six, so they probably just focus on like supporting the next new thing, and at that point they won't need to support older consoles anymore. You know, as much as we've seen the weird things like many big games get backboarded to PS four and UH and Xbox one, that probably won't be necessary for a game launching in fall of twenty twenty five, that we actually should be pretty decoupled from those consoles by that point, especially a game that can dictate people to go out and buy new hardware if you don't have it. If you are still on a PS four and you're playing Fortnite, one of the things you've probably been waiting for is, you know, a big game to give you a reason, and that probably has always been GTA six. So I think they will take advantage of that and just ride or die with the current gen and then forward, But yeah, Xbox series s not being a problem. Yeah, we'll see. It probably will be almost certainly is going to be demonstrably less performative than the other versions. But I bet it's not going to be some huge issue for this game, especially you know, they probably have some of the best tech people in the industry able to take advantage of this stuff. So we'll see.
Speaker 2: I've seen amount of people, yes, for real.
Speaker 1: All right. GTA five has now sold over two hundred and five million copies. This is from Andrew McLarney at Dual Shockers. Rockstar game's most popular title, GTA five has achieved another monumental milestone in terms of its already towering sales figures. In addition to its excellent sales record, GT five also remains the most watched game on streams worldwide, which speaks to its broad popularity across the gaming community. You know, at least at twenty thirteen and now is you know, over the time, over time and several versions later, two hundred and five million copies. It's just in a completely different stratus here obviously, you know, I think they talk about it here. Yeah, it's sold, it's selling well because people just like GTA. They associate like GTA as a cannon game, a mount rushmore of video games that you just get when you get hardware. But I think also the online mode and being able to get certain like bonuses in the game and Shark cards that you can use on stuff in the game whenever you buy the game has caused people to go out and repurchase GTA five multiple times, and that has racked, you know, just completely caused them to run up the score here to two hundred and five million copies sold it.
Speaker 2: I don't know, it feels I don't know why I get offended that. It feels unfair crubb yep, it offends me for whatever reason. But hey, it this game is I think I have. I want to say, I might have three copies of this game. Oh and I can't pinpoint where I have this kit.
Speaker 1: I think I own it Xbox three sixty now because it came with the Xbox three sixty I bought for Black Club. I definitely have it already. I think I have a digitally on Xbox one and PS four, I want to say, and then PC. So yeah, I got like four copies. It's that just happens, right with these really big games. It sort of just falls in your lap sometimes, but yeah, it goes beyond that, like us just sort of happening to get three or four copies like that. Sure, that accounts for a lot of the sales. It does not actually account for two hundred and five million copies sold. That is just not normal. And so that that's where the GTA online stuff comes into play.
Speaker 2: I'm really curious to see, Yeah, exactly how much GTA onlines et influence in like the last couple of years, specifically grub has has skyrocket that number if there was like a giant jump because of the prevalence of streamers playing GTA online and RP servers. I always thought that gt online RP servers were a very niche thing until I saw how big they act.
Speaker 1: That's one of the reasons the most watched game on on Twitch is because those AREP servers, roleplay service people that pretending to do stuff for people that wonder what we mean. Yeah, the role playing servers are massively popular.
Speaker 2: It makes me curious, Greb that I think there was a world where g t A five or g t A online was not popular, and then we were still talking about Second life sure.
Speaker 1: I'll still talk about Second Life with you if you want. Man, don't don't you worry? Yeah, I I you know, I'm very curious, you know, remembering back to new stories we talked about on this show of rock Star acquiring the you know, the people that make Grand Theft Auto five role playing possible? And what does that look like in g t A six? What is that? How do they sort of present sent that to the community of players that don't know what that is, but clearly enough of them are going to because it is so popular on Twitch that you know, it's just become part of what Grand Theft Auto can be. But how does a company sort of incorporate that themselves and does that take out some of the magic if it's like officially sanctioned. I don't know, I'm very curious, kind of can't wait to see how that all plays out, all right. Sticking with Take two, Take two Interactive Software subsidiary Private Division has been sold to an undisclosed buyer. This is from sal Romano at Gamatsu. Take two Interactive Software is sold independent games focused publishing label Private Division to an undisclosed buyer as it shifts to focus on larger game projects. The company announced Take two Interactive Software CEO Strauss to seale, and they con told Games Industry DP is that buyer will will be disclosed relatively soon. The purchase includes the Private Division label and all of its live and unreleased projects. Take to Interactive Software, however, will continue to support Moon Studios Action RPG No Rest for the Wicked, not Wicked Wicked Wicked, which launched under the label in early access four PC via Steam on April eighteenth, and is planned for a full release across PlayStation five Xbox series consoles and PC. Currently, Private Division and developer Way to Workshop are planning to release single player life simulation game Tales of the Shire, Lord of the Rings game for PlayStation five Xbox series consoles, Switch and PC VA Steam on March twenty fifth, twenty twenty five. Yeah, this is I think kind of just just saw Straslnik say it, where he's like, every game that Private Division worked on and published was a success. They did great on everything. It's just you know, not enough money for what we care about. It's like, oh man, so okay, that's weird. We like only the biggest stuff matters to Take two, And I guess if you're sort of you know, growing off the averages with Grand Theft Auto. It makes anything that isn't like a Grand Slam home run look like a waste of your time, and clearly they decided it was a waste of their time. But to hear like, no, this is a label that did its job exactly as we set them out to do it and they succeeded, and like no problems there, but we don't want it because it's just not making big enough games. It's like, okay, where do these games go? This is just a weird thing to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this feels bad grub where people are doing their job and doing their job well, but for whatever metrics, it's still not good enough for the parent company.
Speaker 1: Don't get it. Did my discord messages go off? There? Sorry everybody? I muted the tab there? There we go, Okay, we're good now. Yeah. I'm like looking at kind of the history of Private Division and being like, yeah, I mean they did a lot of cool stuff games that I think would like, you know, we're big outer worlds things like that. Now clearly they don't have outer worlds anymore, but it's like, you know, games like that where like your first one is a pretty big hit, and it feels like if you stick with it and you keep investing in the franchise, the sequels could be even bigger. Uh, there's clearly a plan there, but I don't know. I think this this run to this sort of sprint to the top of let's only make bets when they can be and when they can have the biggest possible return, and diversification is only for like those big, those big like one. Are we gonna make this kind of big bet or that kind of big bet instead of let's have seven medium sized bets. I mean, for me, I think it has had a had a detrimental effect on the quality of the industry overall, and it has left massive chasms open in the kinds of games available on storefronts, and we've had to turn to indie developers, which have they have been picking up the slack, which has been great, but there's definitely, like, you know, I think there's been you know, word from multiple former executives talk about like, hey, we try to get these big companies to care about double A games and they really should like feel a responsibility to build that up because that contributes to the overall health of the industry and every choice they make. When we see them make like something like to their investors and they're like, here's what we're doing and why we're doing it, it's always like, Oh, they just have there's no way that they're ever going to be in that space ever again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel terrible for games that I feel like could have been I don't want to say could have been good, but could have hit the mark or could have found like their niche audience where they become hits. I look at a game from God was it last year, Immortals of Avium, and think, you know what there, I think there was a really good game there that just needed a little bit of editing, a little bit more love and time, and like a double A game like that. We definitely need stuff like those types of games. Grub because I'm very tired of Triple A games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me too.
Speaker 2: I understand that I'm not the audience for like the Big Call of Duties. That being said, I am enjoying Blop six, but we do need that space of other games of like, oh, this is like the thirty forty dollars game that isn't necessarily hurting a studio, but it's like moving a studio along.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean I even when I do show up for a Blop six, it doesn't move me that much anymore. There was a time when Call of Duty definitely did, and I just even when it's like this is a really good one of those, it's not just fun multiplayer, it's got an interesting campaign all this stuff, but you know, it's coloring within the lines it is. You know, it's filling in. You know, it's paint by numbers, and you know that they have to do it that way because they have to mitigate risks and they have to like, you know, just like make big investments and things that people have already said the proven that they wanted, and so when they deliver a good one of those, it's like, great, we do want this absolutely, but it just doesn't feel like fresh and new and exciting, which is I think an important aspect of gaming. Like from the beginning, it's always there's always been this emphasis emphasis on novelty and innovation because again software plus art, like you like you want to be able to do something new, because you can do something new in video games. So those biggest bets are always going to be sort of leaning away from that sort of thing because it is it increases the risk and if you're making a big bet, that's the last thing you want. So do that in the medium sized games, do that in smaller games. And I thought Private Division was the answer for that, and clearly it actually was the answer for this thing that we're talking about. It's just that is not it's not just not a priority for Take two. It's something that they consider complete distraction.
Speaker 2: Man, it just feels scummy grub, Like I want Private Division to to continue to succeed and continue to do a great job, per find like a proper support system.
Speaker 1: Yep. Speaking of scummy, there was back back in May, Blueberg reported that Take Too had closed Roll seven and Intercept Games as as part of this private division stuff, like sort of like streamline in it so they could sell it, uh, and straus Zelnik was like, we didn't close them. They confirmed that they have closed Roll seven and Intercept Games. Zelnik has now said that that has happened. So just God, that one frustrates me because I like, I've reported stuff before and CEO has been like, that's not true, and it just very much is. But it's like, you know, Horse's mouth to say it's not true, so Jeff Grub must be lying. Uh so when you know they get their come up and something like this, I appreciate it, but boy, just weird choices. I just Struss the one that always strikes me as a bit weird when he does stuff like that. But I don't know. I guess they got. When you got GTA six, you can kind of afford to be weird and make brash decisions and leave behind smaller bets and just focus on the biggest thing because it will make more money than all that stuff combined twenty thousand times over all. Right, let's take a quick break. When we get back, let's talk about Warner Brothers. Nintendo talk to its investors plenty more after that, right after this, all right, right back into it. It is earning season. Warner Brothers did theirs as well. Warner Brothers Games lost enormous amounts of money this year. The CEO blames lack of consistency. Excuse me, this is from Darren Bonte, you said game spot. During today's Warner Brothers Discovery Q three earnings calls, CEO David Zaslov commented on the companies gaming and film divisions and how they'll be expected to deliver more consistency with their releases. It has been a tough year for Warner Brothers Discovery, as several of its high profile releases, including Suicide Squad, Killed, The Justice League, Multiverses, and Joker far Adu, have drastically underperformed. Zaslov said that the company's games business is currently underperforming its potential and that inconsistency remains an issue in its various divisions that's via the Verge. Zaslov added that Warner Brothers Games revenue declined declined thirty one percent between July and September when compared to the previous year, as Mortal Kombat Won launched during that window in twenty twenty three, so it was a tough comparison. Multi Versus in particular, has led to a big shortfall for Warner Brothers Games. They said we took another one hundred million plus impairment due to the underperforming releases, primarily multiverses, this quarter, bringing a total write down year to date to over three hundred million dollars in our gaming business, a key factor in this year's studio profit decline. Yeah, this is where it's like you know, this is a company that has their own studios internally, are making their own games, and they've had some successes, but like Boy, they always feel overshadowed by when they have their missteps. Their missteps always seem to explode into bigger missteps, and I think Multiverses maybe is a good example of that where you know, Multiverses had some juice when it launched, it had some excitement, but Warner Brothers was like, Okay, that means we're turning this into an ongoing, live service game that is going to be this money printing thing for a very long time, and that's the only way we're going to be happy with it. When it was very clear i think at the time and especially now after they took it offline from their you know beta as they called it later and they're like, it was early access, and we're going to bring it back and we'll relaunch it and we're going to do the same basically the same exact thing all over again and hope for different results. It's been clear this entire time that they should have just gone the route of what like Nickelodeon All Stars Brawl does or whatever it's called, put out a product. Just put it out for forty five to you know, sixty five dollars, release it with you know, have a couple extra characters as DLC, and then put out a multi versus two in three or four years. You know, when people are pining for it, I just make it a product. Why why can't you do that? And it's because these companies are addicted to this notion of you know, endless money, and they thought they could do that there. So MultiVersus becomes this big thing that they invested a lot of money in and it blew up in their faces, right.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent, it blew up in their faces. I feel like public perception of Multiverses was already skewed from the jump, and then it definitely soured a lot of people's mouths when they took it down, claiming like, oh, we'll bring it back, and when it came back, there was zero to no fanfare, and then it already had that dirty reputation of like, y'all took this down and y'all were one hundred percent sure why you took it down? Are you going to take it away again? And on top of that, from my slight association with people that are into smash I understand that it just wasn't a smash hit with them as well. Also, Grub, you know, if several things are failing and uh, you know, movies, video games, maybe it's a problem at the top perhaps.
Speaker 1: I mean, and we do know that with the Suicide Squad where it's like they're just the game's not coming together, it's not coming together. Well, you know, your rock Steady, so it just will come together. Put it out, and it's like, well that you know, that's not a rock Steady decision. That's I'm sure, I'm certin. I'm sure that with some people at rock Study maybe buying into the kool aid, they're drinking the kool aid a little bit, but that that that belief did come from the top of it's rock Steady, that they will make this game good because they're rock Steady, that rock rock Steady magic, and and uh that that repeatedly we've seen that be executives making that air and then it blowing up in their faces in that way as well.
Speaker 2: Like I just don't understand Grub. Like after I understand that the original Suicide Squad movie critically panned, and I think it did okay, box office wise, But why return to that well with the James Gunn movie that was actually good and then with the game several years later after Suicide Squad or the name Suicide Squad had like that dark cloud hanging over it. Why, especially when Warner Brothers has so much fantastic ip we saw it all in Space Jam two. Why release bad games?
Speaker 1: Why not?
Speaker 2: Why not make good things? Grub?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was like I think going with Suicide Squad was always confusing. That was always a weird one, uh, because I mean, I mean, as you point out, like we got a few years from like not even a few years, like a few months removed from from the release of that movie, the first Suicide Squad, and it like the feeling on that changed really rapidly. But I think, you know, the executives are just looking at the bar graph and like that movie made a lot of money, made a ton of money. So let's, uh, we know that's a powerful I p let's have Rock Study work on that. And Rock Study I'm sure they had did have us say in it a little bit, maybe feel comfortable because they were they like saw the bar graph themselves. But it's like, I think we could have all told you that this was not going to be the thing that was going to be something that people cared about this many years later, and then that definitely got proven when the James Gun movie came out, and you know it was it was on Max, but it just didn't have the same It didn't land with the same you know thunder. It was a thud. All right, Let's shift gears over to Nintendo. Nintendo did have its earning its report earlier this week. We talked about that a bunch yesterday and on John BombCast, but they now had a chance to answer investor questions. And I've got a couple of these here the Bend Machine translated, so there could be some errors. Will do our best to sort through it, though, you know, most of these are our pretty standard or Nintendo Games pretty standard answers, but we'll talk about them anyhow in today's presentation. This is the first question, by the way. In today's presentation, it was mentioned that the successor to Nintendo Switch will be able to play Nintendo Switch software and continue to support Nintendo Switch online. Given this won't the motivation for current Nintendo Switch owners to purchase the new hardware immediately upon release, be diminished. How does Nintendo plan to convey the unique appeal the success or console to these consumers and customers? And I think, I think what they're saying is like, you know, if it's similar enough that like to switch, games will just work on this new thing, how this new thing feels special and not necessarily that they get like new games won't be exciting. But the answer comes from President Shintaro for Akawa, who said, we explained that the successor to the Nintendo Switch will allow users to play software designed for the Nintendo Switch. Given the wide adoption of the Nintendo Switch, we believe that making it possible for customers to play they're existing Nintendo Switch software on the successor console is the optimal choice. This compatibility will allow customers to continue and enjoying the games they've already purchased and select their next titles from the extensive library available for Nintendo Switch. We will provide further information about the successor console, including the compatibility with Nintendo Switch, at a later date. As a company that offers integrated hardware and software entertainment, we are committed to showcasing the appeal through various approaches, as we have done in the past. So I mean, really, what he's just saying is, look, look it it's silly not to take advantage of the success that we had with the switch. It would be silly to leave that library behind. Customers would not like it if they've invested all that stuff in the switch one and it could work on switch to but it just doesn't. So like on that side of things, didn't really have a choice. And then at the same time, when it comes time to make the switch to feel special, well, we're Nintendo. We'll make Nintendo games that are only playable on the switch too, and that sort of takes care of itself. That sounds right to me.
Speaker 2: How about you one hundred percent grub especially when you have already built out that audience with people that have so many switches, why not keep catering to them, or keep appealing to them, or justify people upgrading to whatever the switch too will be of like you could take your games with you. Yeah, it's fine. I see that as a definite incentive. There's tomp Tomp in Chat mentions that the PS two Gangbusters because it was backwards compatible. I thought that was super cool. As a kid of like, I can keep playing my PS one games. And there has to be that generation of gamers as well, younger gamers that may be hesitant to like, oh, can I not play that anymore if I move on to the next console. But Nintendo seems to be understanding of that. And I feel weird thinking that Nintendo understands their audience. Yeah, tech technical in a technical way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but listen, at the very least, they understand what gets people to buy a console. And you know, for as much as like, okay, when when this question they when they say, it's like, okay, I think I see what you're getting at. But like, think about how many households have two switches, Like they bought a second switch when they already owned a switch. So the unique proposition there was nothing like other than maybe an OLED screen or an improved battery life or maybe a special design on it, but those are effectively nothing. That's the same exact console. So that unique or the lack of unique proposition did not stop someone from spending more money on more hardware for the exact same thing. So having something that will be in improvement will have games that are exclusive to to it, that that is such a vast difference of well, that clearly is unique. So Nintendo's already figured out how to sell the same thing to people over and over again. Now when they have you know, now when they have all that going with it, where it's like, yeah, hey, all the reasons that you got you bought a second switch, and maybe you've been thinking about getting a third switch for whatever crazy reason. Maybe you have multiple people in your house and you're like, man, I wish we had one more switch so we could pass around this copy of Mario Kart and the kid can play that. Well, that will still apply now to the switch too, on top of all of the benefits you get from having new hardware, new games. So yeah, I think Nintendo will be just fine there, all right. The second question, rising development costs have become a significant issue in the gaming industry. How does Nintendo view this situation and will the companies R and D spending continue to grow? Can anything be done on the hardware side to control these increasing development costs? Mia Moto actually answered this when it said Nintendo's research and development expenses have been rising yearly. Given that the scale of development has expanded, some cost increases are unavoidable. However, we place more importance on the content we create, rather than the size of the development budget. We aim to create products we believe will satisfy our customers, investing as much effort as necessary to ensure a polished final product. A key element in identifying themes worth refining, a principle that has remained unchanged since the days of the family computer Famicom jam. While personal preferences vary, it is certain that innovations things never seen before are always worth exploring. The more we refine such novel concepts, the more value they acquire. Our focus is on nurturing developers who value Nintendo's uniqueness, enabling them to dedicate sufficient resources to reach a satisfying level of competition for each game. In the entertainment industry, including toys, it is possible to create appealing products based on the creativity of ideas without high costs. Not every product needs to have high development expenses. In gaming, too, it's possible to create fun experiences with a small team and a short development period Given today's technology, Maintaining this perspective is crucial, and I think we've seen them exercise exactly this over the years, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one hundred percent grub I understand the development costs are going up across the board, but I don't see it being as big of a problem for Nintendo as compared to PlayStation and Xbox because of I think the design ethos of Nintendo where hey, what if we give Zelda chair or Zelda table yep, versus turning legend of Zelda or turning a link into a sad dad game. It also feels like the folks behind Nintendo, I don't want to say, are more innovative, but more willing to play around with odd ideas that may appeal to people of all ages.
Speaker 1: I think they just believe in their creativity a little bit more. I think that, you know, not more creative or anything like that, but they believe that that is. And you know, that's what he's saying here, that they believe that that is the selling feature more than anything else. And I mean, I bet a lot of other companies, you know, a lot of people at Microsoft and Sony and various other third party publishers also believe that. But yeah, they're like, well, but it's hard, and one thing we can do, like pretty easily is spend more money than anyone else to make this look better and that is its own feature as well, and that has worked, but it has led us to the point where at where games have felt unsustainable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it feels like Nintendo is continued the design ethos that is still very prevalent. Or I guess it's the other way around, where indie devs have continued the same spirit of Nintendo with their own games and embracing the oddities, like you know, I don't know why. The first thing to come to mind was I love how weird Octodad is, and I love how Octodad has become like a part of like the cultural gaming cannon along with something like Quop. And it feels like Nintendo is looking at stuff like a Octo Dad more so of like, huh, how can we get just as weird with with something like Octo Dad or bug Snacks versus uncharted, Like Nintendo is not looking at the last of us and thinking how do we do that?
Speaker 1: No? No, And I think when we do see companies looking around and saying how do we do that? It is you know someoney Chad just said, like Sony with Astrobot learning lessons from Nintendo and being like, hey, yeah, let's focus on creative innovative gameplay, a lot of ideas. A game that looks colorful and bright and shiny, and boy that worked, that worked really well.
Speaker 2: It's it's a bummer also with PlayStation shutting down studios that did the weird stuff for them.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, right, yeah, yeah for sure. And it's so it's them finding you know, the astrobot feels like them doing it maybe in a Sony way that they a current, modern Sony way that they could feel good about. I wish they still had the old, really weird Sony way as well. Oh that would be ideal. All right, let's see here the other questions here we have two other ones we've read in media articles about in the Nintinuo or about the Nintendo Museum that mister Miyamoto gives an annual lecture to new employees. Could you describe the contents of these lectures, Miamotis said, if you referred to me as a genius, if the question goes on and says he's a genius and all this stuff in your question, but after my annual lectures to new employees and mid career hires are around one hundred to two hundred people. I often hear them say I thought mister Miyamoto would be extraordinary, but he's surprisingly normal, which is reassuring, so I think I'm actually quite ordinary. He then says personally, I feel like life would be more enjoyable without work. But since I do work, I consider how to work efficiently, and if I am to work, how to ensure success so that the next project becomes easier. That's that's my dude, right there, Just wow wow, Like I'm good at this stuff, but I'd rather not even do this. It's the John Carpenters and the Miamotos of the world that make this whole thing go around. I often discuss such creative challenges in my annual lecture. The lecture is divided into three parts. In Part one, I explained Nintendo's history starting with the Hana Fuda playing cards through toys, and Nintendo's history up to the present day entertainment company. In Part two, I talk about what Nintendo has valued in game development and what we consider our strengths. For example, I explained the evolution of interfaces, tracing the changes in controllers from the days of the arcade games, and in Part three, I discuss what game design truly entails many new developers, especially those who have played a lot of games, often aspire to create more elaborate versions of past games. However, I emphasize that game design involves taking various elements from other surroundings and imagining what might make an entertainment and entertaining video game experience out of that, I also explained that game design is is akin to engineering, thinking about the heart or kin to an engineer thinking about the hardware or development environment at hand, assessing whether one's ideas are truly fea and engaging in trial and airr to achieve those concepts. Yeah, it's I would like to have to see one of those lectures. That sounds cool.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, what a cool guy.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, I mean he sets the tone right for that whole company one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: It makes so much sense how they don't understand how to do things online, but they understand so many other important crucial parts of the industry. GREB listening to this. Even even though this is like machine translated, I still get the gist of it. It feels like a lot of the same philosophy someone like Hyomyazaki has when it comes to approaching studio Ghibli films of rather than continuing to remake things from the past, let's just draw inspiration from life. And I think again, this feels like inadvertent shots to PlayStation two xbox of, Like, y'all are just making the same shit. What if you made something we What if we gave the plumber? When's the last time Super Mario Mario Mario had any plumbing device outside of Super Mario Sunshine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a plumbing device. Yeah, I don't know. It really is just flood huh and that's barely a plump plumbing device.
Speaker 2: Yeah. We instead they gave him a hat that helped them possess people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm And you could tell. It's like they are like throwing out like basic concept, basic ideas like wouldn't it be fun if? And then they work backward from that about like can that become a Mario game? And you could just tell when you're when you're playing this stuff that that's the way it works. You know. Breath of the Wild very similar, where it's like you tell, like, hey, I have this feeling when I'm like out hiking or exploring. Can we capture that through various means? And they do.
Speaker 2: How did he come up with or how did they come up with ascend I just want to know.
Speaker 1: I got that. I mean part of me is like they just were looking for easier ways to get around, like in the when they're developing the game and they're like, okay, can we We're gonna put a roof over here. I want to make sure that like what happens if the player gets up there, Well, here's the easy way to do that, and like this is fun. I bet, I bet it's a lot along those lines.
Speaker 2: I would love.
Speaker 1: It was a depth tool. Yeah, okay, yeah, awesome.
Speaker 2: Great. In my head, Miyamoto was crafting something and rediscovered glue, and that's how we got every up with Ultra hand in Tiers of the.
Speaker 1: King yeah and Fuse yeah yeah yeah, both those those kind of the glue stuff. I mean, I think it's that is the right approach, right, don't have this like hard and locked down vision as you are making something. If something is fun, I mean, this is how we got SimCity, right. Those stories always like, hey, I was making a map editor for a helicopter game and the map editor was way more fun. So I started making a game based on that, and then we got SimCity and it's like Yeah, that that is. That sounds to me like the exact path to all the best games and and and to do that. To scomplish that, you kind of have to start with just some fun ideas and go from there and be willing to accept that stuff. And it sounds like that's exactly what me Emoto preaches in these lectures. Yeah, I would love to see this. I hope they record them. They should record them all so we have them for posterity.
Speaker 2: Got to be on mini DV though.
Speaker 1: Oh listen, I'll get my MiniDV player. I won't make it work all right. Last question from the investors. When developing new hardware, it's essential to focus on Nintendo's unique style of innovation. However, if the hardware is overly unique, it might make it might make software development challenging for third party developers. How does Nintendo balance innovation with ease of development for external software creators. This is from another executive, Shioda, who said, the unique functions and features in our hardware are not created by the hardware development team alone. Rather, they are developed collaboratively with the software team determine how we could deliver a unique entertainment experience. Naturally we also consider the needs of third party developers during this process. In development, we create various prototypes, test how they feel, and find the ones that show the most promise. Recently, the importance of system software that runs the hardware and software has also has also increased. Airfore, system software developers now play a crucial role in the integrated development process. I think he's probably talking about the operating system here. Balancing uniqueness with ease of development is something we have valued over the years. Moving forward, we aim to continue producing products that reflects Nintendo's unique approach while also considering ease of development for software creators. I think this is them saying we're finding other ways to be creative and not necessarily going full blown. We with this next system that's still in us, we still have that and as if we choose to go down that roade, that go down that road, but we're not doing that with this. We're finding other, maybe more subtle ways to express ourselves. And I think that's welcome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one hundred percent, you keep making cardboard pianos, Nintendo. Yeah, I'll still buy them.
Speaker 1: I will still build them along with you. All right, let's get these last couple of stories real quick. Tons of Dreamcast to Mega Drive, Sega Genesis please titles to be removed from digital storefronts. This is from Jonas Mackie at Game Reactor. As you may recall, Sega announced announced during the Game Awards last year that they were going to go big and release tons of games based on old franchises, including Crazy Taxi, Jetsat Radio, and Shinobi, and just yesterday was confirmed that they have a new Virtue Fighter in development. Whether there's any connection between all this and the sad announcement that Sega delivered on Wednesday night, we don't know. But what is clear that they're now removing tons of classic games from sale on digital storefronts. This mainly affects the Sega Genesis collection, but also separate titles that were originally released, mainly for the Dreamcast and Mega Drive. Shawn added a note here, I'm just going to read this. Shawn's note. The Steam dealisting of Mega Drive classics in particular is a bummer because it's one of the only times a publisher has made DRM free ROMs available legally for purchase. You could spend a dollar to have easy access to it. In the front end, they may they made, or copy the file out in Windows Explorer to use in any fan made emulator. That collection of if it's the right one that I'm thinking of, is also the one where you know, you go into a little three D room with a CRT and a Genesis and there's a shelf and you could pick the games up and put them in there. You could play them VR even, but you could like add different ROMs as well from your own collection and play them in there, and that was always cool as well. So this is weird. I wonder if this isn't like preemptive to something bigger company. Maybe they're gonna do some new collection, Maybe they're gonna have their own service or something something. What do you think is happening here?
Speaker 2: It's it. It does feel weird, grub. I don't know what their next plan would be if it isn't just coming up with a collection themselves where they want.
Speaker 1: To They're all gonna be mini games in the next crazy taxi.
Speaker 2: Or yeah, just throw them in the next like a Dragon where you just spend like fifty cents. Yeah, I would let like a Dragon be like my video game hub for retrogar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the way like Animal Crossing on the GameCube. Was with my ny S ROMs for a while. Yeah, totally. Yeah. I hope there's more to this story. I hope that this is the weird bummer that is like the bad news and then we get a big swing and it's like, oh, they're doing this and it's incredible and awesome. Even in that scenario, I think I prefer them not taking any of this stuff down. That would be ideal, but yeah, we'll see.
Speaker 2: Making it easier for folks that don't want to jump through the hoops to do it, sure, but don't take it away from the people that are in the know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, So these things are I think they're getting taken down actively. I don't know if you do, but if you could still buy some of these things, maybe I would rush out and try to do that, especially the Sega Mega Drive in Genesis Classics, which is Yeah, I mean, it looks like it's still on Steam at at this moment, but we'll see, Okay. Desth Stranding Director's Cut arrives today as a surprise Xbox release. Is from Alberto Garrito at Game Reactor. Hedio Kojama and Microsoft have been strengthening their relationship for some time. Now, the studio, led by the Charismatic Creative, is currently working on an Xbox exclusive title, and now we see the two companies coming together again with their first release as an independent studio. Death Stranding Director's Cut has arrived unannounced on Xbox today. The title is available from this morning on Microsoft's Gaming ecosystem and is being offered at fifty percent off it's recommended retail price for two weeks. A little weird that this that had no sort of announcement, but it's possible that maybe today is like the first day they legally could release this or even talk about it and promote it, and so they're like, just put it out and that'll be the announcement. Also, it's like it's still strange because Sony does own like part of the ipe, like they have the trademark and all that stuff. Like when you go on Steam, you see that Sony's listed right there, even though I don't think they published it on Steam with the co Coach Mode productions. But hey, yeah cool. I'm someone who's sort of come around in some ways on desth Stranding. I always thought it was a pretty interesting game, had some cool ideas, but now I'm like, I really appreciate it for what it is, and now more people get to play it. Great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one hundred percent. I am in that same boat with you and Dan Reichert of not quite understanding the original game, but then with the director's cut, I don't want to say completely understanding it, but nodding my head politely and saying I enjoy this now exactly.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's It's got some cool ideas for sure. And yes, boy, I like I like the way that idiot looks when he's carrying a bunch of stuff on his back. That's that. It's pretty fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I maybe Norman read us out. But the other trappings around the game, the fact that he gets upset when you put a pizza box horizontal or vertically instead of horizontal.
Speaker 1: Yes, funny, it's good stuff. Like I said, that attention to detail that I appreciate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it too much attention.
Speaker 1: Maybe too much? Yeah, all right, that does it for the headlines. Let's get to the pole question, the whole questions. Actually, we got both of those that we need to catch up on. I'm gonna bring those up here. All right, looks good, there we go. All right, do you think the live action Zelda movie will ever come out. I'm gonna man, this is a tough one. I think I'll go with yes in this moment. Yeah, I'm good with you. I think we're in the minority though. Forty three percent said yes, fifty seven percent say no. I want to like the last we heard, maybe it was like scripts were coming in and weren't they weren't happy with them or something like that. But I don't know. Maybe that you know, how much can you trust those rumors? And that making a movie also sounds like kind of a nightmare with that stuff, So we'll see.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: The other pole question, PS five PRO is out this week. How do you feel about it? Now? Are you getting it? Want it? But I'm waiting or not getting it? I'm in the one it but I'm waiting along with eleven percent of respondents. Nine percent of respondents say that they are getting it, and then eighty percent say not getting it. So yeah, I think that this will probably be reflective of the final number of people who end up getting a PS five PRO relative to the PS five somewhere between nine and you know, twelve percent, somewhere in that range. So yeah, we'll see how it all lands out. Where are you at it on the latest? Like thinking about getting one? Still? Maybe not?
Speaker 2: I'm probably not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, well now, yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm curious to see if those those folks that voted not getting it if they already have a PS five or if they just don't have any interest in consoles at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think it's probably a mix of both. But I bet the majority probably just have a PS five and don't feel the need to get one. Okay, that does it for the yesterday's pool questions. We have a new poll question coming here in the second. Before we get to that, though, GM, why don't you tell people what we have going on where they can find you all that good stuff.
Speaker 2: I have no idea deal. What's going on on the website?
Speaker 1: Yeah? What am I doing? What day is it? It's Thursday. We're not doing voicemail dump truck. We might do something else today. I don't know. We'll see, But then tomorrow I think we are. We are doing voicemail dump truck tomorrow, I think so. Okay, yeah, I think that's happening. We originally had it on Friday to facilitate someone's schedule, but that's not going to work. Out either. So, but we're going to do Friday and yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm hoping to get back into the swing of things. I think this may be the only thing I do today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you go get back in bed.
Speaker 2: I may go back get back in bed. Folks, I don't know. If you're looking for a distraction from the current events of the world, specifically America, go boot up a game, Go load up a game. There's a new Astrobot level coming out or out.
Speaker 1: Now now, huh. I barely had time for the last one because of the extra life.
Speaker 2: So I made a TikTok go go follow me on TikTok coffee with It's the same thing as my Twitch. Also, I have a twitch coffee with jam as well, because grub poison my mind and thinking black coffee black with a V instead of an A because I thought it was cool in twenty fourteen makes me sound like a certain demographic and I don't want to be associated.
Speaker 1: Look, you know you're always my black coffee. Don't worry, man, Uh all right, Uh yeah, I'm gonna go try the Astrogat level. Spend a little bit more time with that last one too, because, like I said, I really had no time to play. I played it for like an hour total. I there's a lot of tricks in that last one. Sambo Nice is saying he likes this one a little bit better than that one. So we'll see. I thought, so far, I've been happy with all the levels. Uh, maybe we'll play that on the website. We might wait listen, we might do Blake Club tomorrow. It's it's just kind of all down to vibes. How's everyone feeling. We're trying to go pretty easy on everybody this week. You know, we're still we're still recovering from layoffs, you know, and then this, then this happens, so it's like it's one two punch. Huh, can't catch a break. Jan goes the hospital last week.
Speaker 2: Yep, yeah, I needed blood.
Speaker 1: He needed he needed he needed other people's blood. So the rumors are true with Man's a vampire. We knew it, all right.
Speaker 2: I am Blade.
Speaker 1: Oh hell yeah, that's that should be your Twitch account. I am Blade. Yeah man, that was just last week. Holy crap.
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: If you do want to also, if you want to forget about things, go watch the extra live stream. It's the archive is up. The whole backup is up. It's eighteen hours on YouTube. Shout outs to UH, to Sean for doing that. Uh, just put it on because you're gonna constantly stumble across some of the dumbest shit you've ever seen, and it's worth Why was.
Speaker 2: John Carson dressed up as mister Mime?
Speaker 1: I don't know if there's a why to that. I don't know if there's a reason why. All Right, he just did and I appreciate it. It was deeply important to me. All Right, all right, let's uh. I think that wraps it up. Jan thank you so much for hanging out with me. To Dan talking about video games, man, I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: That's the only way to start a Thursday.
Speaker 1: Greb, thank you all for watching and listening. You are the best audio, dance and gaming. Until next time, have a good one, take care of yourselves and goodbye.