Speaker 1: Some lives are composed like music, layered intentional, built on quiet tension and powerful release. Amar Walker, known to the world as Major seven, is one of those lives from Mandeville, Jamaica, a tone known not only for its rolling hills, but for producing thinkers, cultural contributors, and nation builders. Like one of Jamaica's national heroes, Norman manly A, Mar stands in a lineage of visionaries who led with both purpose and precision. He spent part of his early years at Victor Dixon High School, where the seeds of discipline and creative curiosity began to take root. However, the true foundation of Amar's journey began even earlier in the quiet, unshakable prayers of his mound. After enduring six miscarriages, she prayed persistently and faithfully for seven years, and then came Amar. His producer name, Major seven is more than a nod to musical theory. It's a tribute, a living meditation on his mother's endurance, her belief, and the truth that some people are called not just to succeed, but to uplift and inspire. That spiritual thread follows Amar even into the studio. Years ago. One of his most acclaimed productions. The Devil is a Lie was nearly taken from him by someone more interested in profit than principle, but that attempt failed, and the irony of that title wasn't lost on him. Some moments are more than coincidence. They are reminders of protection and trusting God's timing. Since then, Amar has composed for artists like Rihanna, Rick Ross, Snoop Dogg, burn A Boy Future, and countless others, crafting soundscapes that are both commercially undeniable and emotionally grounded. And while his Grammy nomination hasn't come just yet, something about this year tells me it's only a matter of time. This episode isn't just about music. It's about identity, faith, and the kind of quiet power that comes from staying grounded in your roots, especially when those roots are Jamaican. Because when Amar walks in a room or lays a chord or shares his story, it's not just him speaking. It's legacy, it's prayer fulfilled. It's the rhythm of a culture that moves the world. If you're listening to the podcast on Apple Podcast, please remember to rate and leave a comment below. Also, don't forget to follow us on Instagram at Let's Talk the Things. Now, grab your tea, coffee, or a glass of wine and Let's Talk the Things. Hello everyone, Welcome back to Let's Talk the Things, where we discuss personal growth, travel, music, beauty and wellness while encouraging you to live fearlessly and fabulously. I'm your host, Ash and this week we are Talking the Things with multi platinum music producer for artists like Rick Ross, Rihanna, Burna Boy, Buju Bantan, and Snoop Dog to name a few. Omar Walker, more popularly known as Major seven. Hi, Omar, how are you hey?
Speaker 2: How are you doing? I'm doing amazing. I'm glad to be here, so blessed.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Thank you so much for coming to Talk the Things with me. Yeah yeah, you have to bustle the accent.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: So As a first time guest and for persons that are listening for the first time, we begin each episode with our listener's favorite segment and it's called that no Sound safe. So so Omar, I'm going to read messages or social media posts that listeners sent in and if you think it sounds crazy or a little bit concerning, you'd say that the sound safe and explain why. And if you agree, I can't even finish this without laughing. And if you agree, say you agree and explain why. Sounds good?
Speaker 2: But all right, cool, let's do it.
Speaker 1: So the first person said, Jamaican parents give the worst ultimatums. They'll say either you wash the dishes or come a tomatos. Oh, you know, I feel like they're a bit.
Speaker 2: Extreme, definitely, but it works though.
Speaker 1: Yes, it prepares us for the world because you can't tell us anything that we haven't already been told by our parents.
Speaker 2: For real, you aren't sure how to, like, you know, take on the challenges of life, because growing up is a challenge. It's always like something you know.
Speaker 1: So true, so true. We all need to go. We have said this in another episode. We all need to go to like group therapy together.
Speaker 2: Being Jamaican Bill's character though.
Speaker 1: Yes, and we also have not only does it build character, but I said this in another episode, or actually I should say the person I was interviewing said it to me, and he's from Grenada. He said that Jamaicans have this certain type of confidence, you know, and I was saying, it's something that's really ingrained in US. And that's why when celebrities even go to Jamaica, they don't really get run down for autographs or anything, because most Jamaicans are looking at them and saying, he's all right, but I can't sing better that name.
Speaker 2: Yes, I definitely believe in that, because I definitely consider myself to be extremely confident.
Speaker 1: Love that. Love that, Yeah, I don't know if it's the leo or oh my gosh, it's.
Speaker 2: Theer and lying you feel me.
Speaker 1: I love that. That's double Jamaican and alio. Yeah, that's a double dosa confidence for sure. All Right, So the next person said, imagine your card gets declined at the barber and he starts gluing your hair back on.
Speaker 2: First fall, he shouldn't be cutting it off in the first place. And then second of all, man Imazellum right exactly.
Speaker 1: This is not nineteen ninety four, so I would hold sell or cash up something, but gluing it back on is. Actually.
Speaker 2: Another thing about Jamaican is we're creative. So if Plan A don't work, we're gonna have Plan b cd ef we don't find a way to make it happen.
Speaker 1: You know, that is so true. That's one thing about us. We are very resilient when it comes to finding a way for sure. All Right, The next person said, all I spend money on is food and clothes, but I'm still hungry and can't find anything to wear.
Speaker 2: Hey, thats how you spend all your money on food and clothes and still hungry and don't got nothing to wear?
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: But you know you're spending it on food and clothes for somebody else, or that.
Speaker 1: Means you're like me and you're always hungry even though you're spending it on food. It's like, boy, you know, I feel for something nice, like you can eat something else. It could be that, or it could be the fact that, like, I don't know how you are, but I feel like sometimes I'll feel like I have something to wear, and then other times I'll be like, oh my gosh, I need to get something, Like I have nothing to wear and I have a closet full of clothes.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's how I feel every time I have to go somewhere like tomorrow, have to go to wedding, It's like that's how I feel. So after this, I gotta go find so like anytime I gotta go somewhere I have to do something. I'm like that, but that's because I'm not really that big into like I'm starting to get into it now, but like fashion, and I'm so like locked in on what I'm building, like that's just my primary focus. Yeah, it's not my priority at least not right now, you know, got you?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, well that makes sense. So maybe that canzone a little safe, but a little not safe, because if it's not your priority, then it's like, eh, you don't really care, you know, all right? Two more, The next person said, I don't know how to turn up anymore. I'll be at the bar just checking my emails.
Speaker 2: I guess. I guess I could agree with that because I feel like I'm that person. But I do feel like I'm lit though, Like I feel like I'm like a good energy to be around, and even though I'm always doing something like sometimes I could be at Thanksgiving and I have my laptop with me, so I might be passively just chilling at one point, organizing some files or working on something or arranging something, but I still like engage with the family and cool. So I feel like I'm kind of like in the middle, but I still need to be better balanced. So I'm like a workaholic obsessed with what I do.
Speaker 1: You know, well, you already in the vision that explains a lot, That explains a lot. You're very driven, I'm sure. Yeah, But I think that's a good thing to point out, right because it's safe because that means that you are on top of what you need to do, you know, your focus. But it's not safe because you do need that balance, you know. So I agree with you. It's kind of like in the middle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm very intentional, very like got a bit long to do list, just never ending, constantly just task and yeah, so I definitely need a little bit more balance. But yeah, seasons, you know.
Speaker 1: But it's hard. Yeah, And it's hard too when you have like so many dreams and aspirations and you know, you just want to do everything. It's really hard to like stop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, focus is important. Yeah, you have to be focused and you have to be intentional. And I think a lot of the stuff that I do, even though it may seem like so many things, like, I think they have synergy with each other and I've found ways to you know, I'm always building systems. So for me, it's also about like efficiency so I'm big on working smarter, but I'm also working harder too, So I'm combined working smarter with harder and that's just allowed me to just like propel like super fast with everything that I'm trying to be.
Speaker 1: I love that. Yeah, I love that. Intention definitely matters and helps you to get to where you need to be. So yeah, I love that, beautifully said. Okay, last one. This one's a little bit long, but the last one. People will literally admire you from afar, get to experience you in real time and become envious after seeing you are exactly who you appair to be. Your light will always offend persons who are at war with themselves, So choose wisely who gets to experience you. Your frequency is valuable.
Speaker 2: No, I agree with that one hundred percent because I feel like whenever you're doing something, no matter how positive you are, no matter how inspiring you are, no matter how humble you are, I think it will feel like people always find like the negative and something. And you know, a friend the other day was telling me, oh, yeah, someone was hating on something that you did, and I'm just like, man, I don't even got time to even think about that, Like or like engage in a conversation that has to just do with debating whether this is better than this with somebody, like on some comparison level where it's it's like I'm not comparing myself to to anybody. I'm just you know, I'm just becoming who I believe that I meant to be. So I'm super focused and you just can't be distracted. Like somebody sent me a crazy hate message the other day, like oh uh after Doop dog followed me, there was like, oh you think you're on that because Snoop Dogg followed you and then called me an islander, N word and all this other stuff.
Speaker 1: What.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was crazy. So I mean I just like, yeah, just blocked and kept them moving. You know, I can't even pour any energy into that at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely not. That is actually insane.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, right, But it's crazy that there's people out there whose purpose is just so low or none existent that like, yeah, they actually have time to like create a whole profile with no picture and you know, just to troll people or.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's crazy. I mean I think you handled that beautifully, but that's just crazy how much your drive can trigger somebody you know exactly say something like that.
Speaker 2: That's insane, it's pretty wild. So you know, I just try to stay focused. And I think the most dangerous person is the person with no purpose.
Speaker 1: No sah, that is a word that's so true, that's so true, and seriously, like, well, first of all, I think this one is very safe and it's very true because I think you have to be aware of and it doesn't mean to be paranoid, but just aware of people that are envious of even your ability to produce certain things. Right because for me, and coming from a musical family, I know that certain things, especially when it comes to producing music, you either have it or you don't. It's not always something you can be taught. Like, yes, you can go to a school of music and learn the basics and things like that, but as my dad would say, some people just have like a feel when they're playing or producing music, and it's something that can't be emulated, you know. So some persons will see that and know they can't take that from you because it's God given, and so they figure if they put you down enough, maybe you'll start to small up yourself and maybe you'll start to say, oh, maybe I'm not that great like possible. You know, maybe you know, but they don't know they're dealing with Jem and Alio.
Speaker 2: I'm out here, you know, Like I just feel like, you know, yeah, people always want to minimize others, especially like I said, they don't have purpose. But you got to know who you are, even before the world knows who you are. I think for me, like what you said is super true. Like, yes, you can be gifted, and I do believe that I'm gifted, but even more than that, I feel like I'm skilled. It's not enough to just be gifted, Like you have to take your talents and you got to work on them every day and refine them and continuously be a student and want to grow and like just never stop growing, you know. I feel like that's truly where greatness is born, is born in isolation. It's it's something my mom always told me, heights by great man reach and kept we're not attained by sudden flight. But they, while their companions slept, were toiling up with through the night. And I feel like I ended up taking that so literally, really being up all night every night just just putting in work, putting in work, putting in work, and putting in ten thousands of hours into my craft. So I think even more than a technical skill or like playing the piano or whatever it is, or I think my greatest gift is actually my vision. Like I think that I have the ability to see what things can be before they are, and I know how to like turn my visions into realities and take ideas and put them in a tangible form. But I'm always gonna think of like the biggest idea and then I'm going to find a way to like try to make it happen. And once you do the impossible one time, then you realize that, yo, you could do it over and over again.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. And I had to literally contain myself because my mom is gonna hear this and literally scream yeah, because she says that same quote to me literally every other day. Wow, that's so crazy. I have to literally like hold like allow you to speak because I'm like, that's so crazy. You know many people I've said that to when they're like, oh, I've never even heard that, really, And I'm like, what, my mom says that to me so much that I have the whole thing memorized.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I'm saying I think my mom used to have a hanging on the wall where she wrote it on like the back of a you know, she broke down a cornflakes box and turned it around and turned it into a poster and had it hanging on the wall and it was written on there.
Speaker 1: Gosh, although my mom says it to me all the time, it's literally one of my favorite quotes because I think it just encompasses like who I am as a person, like I'm going to work hard, I'm going to achieve my goals no matter what. And I think it's just so it's just so encouraging, you know what I mean. Like, I think it also reminds you that you can't watch people, you know. That's something my dad always says, like don't watch people or don't want what other people have because you never know how they attained it, you know, and also you don't know the work that they have to do. So even when we were in school, like growing up, my parents would say, you know, you see this person at this party or this function, you don't know that they're probably uplate studying and making sure they have their work done. You just see them out and think like, oh, they're all about fun. But you better believe they're making sure they study. They just don't have to advertise it, you know. So yeah, wow, that is so crazy that you said that. I rarely hear anybody know that quote.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: That was fun, and now it's time for us to talk the real things. So you talked about your mom, right, And so I read that major seven isn't just a moniker. It's layered. You know, there is a reference to your musical journey and the musical reference to the chord, but it's also about your mother's journey and your birth. So can you explain a little bit more about what that means and how that dual meaning has shaped how you navigate the world.
Speaker 2: Oh, definitely, I think just knowing that my mom she actually well, first of all, when I wanted to come up with a musical name, I was thinking, like, y'all want something that's both personally meaningful and also has like musical context. So the musical context for me was the major seventh chord in music theory. And then I thought of like, you know how, my mom she actually had six miscarriages before I was born, so I was number seven, and I thought that was just special in the story behind it like she had a vision in church and then like to name me Samuel, So my middle name is actually Samuel, and like handing the Bible who prayed for her son for seven years. And then the number seven is just such a significant number just throughout the universe, throughout you know, biblically, like it's just a spiritual number and like a number of completion. And then me also being born in the seventh month of the year, in July, and yeah, wo then I actually have my July twenty fifth, I actually have my first kid on the way. My daughter's supposed to be born on the twenty eighth of July. That's her due date, so she might even come on my birthday.
Speaker 1: And oh my god, it's so beautiful.
Speaker 2: Her name is thank you. Her name is going to be seven.
Speaker 1: I cannot manage. That's so beautiful. And then the fact that you're born on the twenty fifth, five plus two is seven.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I didn't even think about that part too. See that's a whole another seven.
Speaker 1: Oh that's crazy. Wow. Well congratulations. First of all, that's great news, and it just goes to show how, like you know, you were really meant to do this, to be where you are, you know what I mean, because that not only that number just surrounding you, but how you were brought into this world. I think that's really indicative of you having a purpose. Ye you know, you talk a lot about your mom and you know her resilience and her faith. What does it mean to carry her story into rooms that you walk into? Now?
Speaker 2: It means everything. It's funny because even going to Jamaica, like one of her favorite artist is bears him. And so when I first met Bars, right, Yeah, it's like the first question he asked me was like, what does what does your name mean? And so I told him that story, and then later I facetied my mom and I have a whole video of like my mom being at work and he's just talking to my mom and just just showing love.
Speaker 1: You know. Oh, and it's such a lovely human being.
Speaker 2: It's real.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oh my gosh, I love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So it means a lot to just carry that story with me. And I think just you know, the things that she taught me, just like exercising those things every day, and like I think my mom, matter of fact, I think she told me she used to walk seven miles to school every day, and like just coming from Jamaica to be like the very next generation and to be respected, you know by all the heroes of our culture, whether it's you know, the Marley family or Sizla or Junior Read or all these people that I've had the pleasure of just connecting with and being able to contribute to the culture that created me. To me, like, that's like everything just being you know, one generation of someone who was walking seven miles to school and my dad who didn't even meet his dad to when when I met him at the same time, Yeah, when I was going to school in Jamaica. So it's just crazy because you know, it's like, you know, just seeing where my family came from, my roots are. It puts purpose in me every day of just wanting to maximize my opportunity and my potential and also my impact.
Speaker 1: I love that. That's such a beautiful story. And you said you went to school in Jamaica.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did. I went to school in Mandivale.
Speaker 1: Oh, oh my gosh, that's where my mom is from. Oh that's yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I went to Victor Dixon High School for two years first and second form.
Speaker 1: I think that's so cool because I had no clue that you even went to school there.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah I did.
Speaker 1: That's amazing.
Speaker 2: I was probably some of the most fun times in my life.
Speaker 1: Right, school in Jamaica is just like a whole episode every day. Yes, I mean no air condition, but yeah, definitely a part of it, none of that, yes, yes, oh I love that. So, as a young Jamaican creative right growing up in the diaspora, what role do you think culture played in forming your sense of self? Because even though you went to school in Jamaica, you only went there for a couple of years, so I gather the rest of your you know, childhood, young adulthood was in America.
Speaker 2: Yep. Yeah, So I'm from Atlanta, so, like you know, Atlanta has a lot of culture too, and a lot of music and a lot of all these different things. And then and then I was around so much family, Like both of my parents are like one of thirteen kids, so I have so many uncles and aunts and cousins. So I'm constantly surrounded by like Jamaican culture and so much music and all these different things. But honestly, in my household, you know, it's funny to set number seven again, my parents is seven day vent and so like I did.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: So oh, so he didn't really grow up listening to like a lot of like different kinds of music. Like a lot of times my parents was playing the same tape in the car, flipping it over occasionally out of here like some Bob Marley, some Whitney Houston.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, There's certain songs that stand out in my oilihood, like you Are Not Alone by Michael Jackson and I Believe I Could Fly I was one of my favorite songs growing up. And then it wasn't until I went to Jamaica and where I really started like learning. The first person I stayed with was my friend David Campbell. He was older than me and so he was probably in like fifth form when I was in first form. And you know, he comes from a family, like a very tech family, so he was always building and breaking down his computer. So I learned a lot of my technical skills and just my like computer tech savviness just from like living with him. And then the next year I was staying with Reggie, who was I think he was in fifth form at the time when I was in second form, and and staying with Reggie he was. He was just like such a big fan of hip hop. He had all these CDs of like Biggie and Tupac and Eminem and like ludaic Is. Like I got into so much music and got introduced into like freestyling, and someone was like, yo, you have freestyle. Just put on the beat, and then everybody started rapping, and I started reading the dictionary just to increase my vocabulary, just so I could beat everybody in freestyle battles. So it was just a whole journey of just like self discovery just living in Jamaica. And and then honestly, like it wasn't until until I actually produced DJ Kalli's Holy Mountain with Buju and Sizzla and Movado, And that's kind of when I really started like really looking in the mirror and like wanting to tap more into my Jamaican roots because it just felt so good to contribute to culture that you know, it made me want to like dive in even further because it just furthered my purpose and yeah, elevated my purpose, and I just felt like there's so many things like contribute with the knowledge that I've received, even outside of Jamaica, that I could pour into the culture while at the same time discovering the culture putting the faces to the names, which I never did growing up. So I was like always hearing Capleton, but I didn't know what he looked like or who he was. So it's like I'm going to go record with him and I'm listening to studying his music, I'm like, yo, that was Capleton the whole time. So now I just know so much more. And so it's almost like a self discovery project of just like a lot of things that I've been doing and focused on within Jamaica and trying to just Yeah, it made me just proud of want to represent Jamaica on the global scales.
Speaker 1: I love that, and I love that you brought up that song because I think that's one of those songs that have, you know, that feel. My dad would be very proud of me, because that's like his favorite thing to say as a musician. But like, you can just feel that that was produced by Jamaica, and this is before I knew you produced it. Like I could just tell there's just something about it, like you can't replicate that feeling. I don't really know how to describe it.
Speaker 2: I know what you mean. I mean, honestly really speak of my language, because the way I look at music is I don't think about how music sounds when I'm making music, Like I'm always I'm always like, how does it feel? Everything every decision I make is based on how something feels versus how it sounds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's how I grew up around music. I mean, I grew up around my dad just literally getting with you know, some of the best musicians, Uncle Barri's, uncle Tutz, and they just start playing and it ends up sounding like a hit song. And they're literally just playing like they don't plan anything, and it's just like it just has this feeling. It just feels authentic. It feels like home. That's the best way I can describe it.
Speaker 2: And then when you're able to capture that, people feel that frequency when they're listen into it. Because it's captured, it's almost like taking a picture. It's a moment in time.
Speaker 1: It can't be doe to technology, yes.
Speaker 2: And so it's just like, you know, I consider creating music and then the things that I apply to the music, to me that like enhance the feeling. It's almost like someone who takes a picture. Now they're editing the photo. Now they want to turn up the saturation and they want to maybe make it black and white or so. It's just like when I'm thinking of like every sound, I might capture somebody playing the bass, but I'm thinking, like, how do I want it to feel? Do I want it to feel vintage? Do I want it to be warm, or do I want it to you know, like just be very intentional on where it's placed. Like so all those things add to the feeling. So I kind of see every sound is like a blank canvas, and I'm just like coloring it and I'm getting even more detailed. I'm zooming in and I'm really like going into my palette, mixing colors together and getting it even in between the colors just like it might be like very light green, or it might be really dark red or you know.
Speaker 1: So I really love that description. I love that you can tell say you read dictionary for fun, you know, because that's such a really vivid description, like for somebody that is not aware of music or how music is created for them to picture that, and it's so interesting you describe it that same way Because I had Aston Barrett Junior on Here a couple of seasons ago, and he was talking about the struggle continues, the struggle discontinues, I'm sorry that he produced with Damian Marley, and he was just explaining, like again, the feel of the music and the feel that he wanted to get. And it was so funny because it's like I now understand all that I'm older. I now understand more of the jargon that my dad and my uncles would use when it comes to music, because I don't know how to read music. I don't know any of that. But when you grow up around it, it's like you can just tell that feeling, you know what I mean. And I remember I had Uncle Sli on here, Sly Dunbar Wow from Sly and Robbie, and he was telling me about when he did Punky Reggae Party and the drum you know, the drum role that he did in the beginning. And it's so funny because he was telling me about another song and knowing like that that was my dad on the drums. And then my dad was telling me about the song and knowing like, oh, that's Uncle Sly, Like I knew that was him just by listening and I'm like, Dad, how do you know that? Like literally, he'll just hear a little role and he's like, oh, yeah, that's sly And I'm like, oh, do you know that's crazy?
Speaker 2: You want to know it's super crazy too. My mom. The other day, my mom texted me this one song. I guess it's going viral and it's about like family. And then I have a big cousins chat and then they sent it in that cousin's chat too, and I was and I put the screenshot of what I said to my mom. I was like, oh, it's a meaning full song. But literally within five seconds, I could tell. I could tell. I was like, this sounds like it was generated by AI and I could tell. And they were like, how can you tell? How do you know that? And I could just I just know, you know, like I could, I could hear, I could hear the difference, so I could feel the difference or I know how it would write versus human. Even though it's getting really good, don't get me wrong, Like there's some crazy ideas being generated with AI, but like I can't even tell, even though a lot of people who wouldn't know, but like it's literally five seconds within hearing it, I could tell I was like, Yo, this sounds like it's generated by AI. And then I looked it up and then it was but no.
Speaker 1: So talking about feel right, we had such an in depth conversation I lost my train of thought. So talking about feel when was the first time that you felt music move you, not just like something that you liked, but something that you felt like this told me like this sound or you know, these chords chose me and I have to create something.
Speaker 2: Well, before you said I have to create something, it immediately what I was thinking of. You know how I mentioned some of my favorite songs in my childhood. Like as you were speaking, it brought me all the way back to like some memory of some apartment we used to live in and I'm a little kid, and it's a it's like a tape or CD playing and it had Michael Jackson's you Are Not Alone the song you you know that song, Yeah you are not alone, I'm here with you. And just that feeling like it always made me feel something. And so like as you're talking, I went all the way back into it's like a time traveled back to that moment and I could feel the feelings that I felt just hearing that song and how it like, yeah, it was a comforting song to me. You know, I love that, And I think that's what music is. It's literally the soundtrack to our lives. And that's why, like you know, making music is actually an important job. Music. I've literally like had a song called Breathe that I played like in a situation where my cousin was basically having like a mental breakdown and I didn't even really realize he was battling certain things. And I had a song called Breathing and just playing he was like Yo, played again, be cuz played again. And it was like a three hour ride from Portland, Jamaica back to Osurius, I think, and it was like I just played that song over and over and it calmed him down so much, and just realizing like just how powerful music is. There's so much power in music. So it's good to just know it's a responsibility, you know what I'm saying. To create music, you have to know, like you know, there's certain frequencies that you could put out there, like you could make somebody feel happy, you can make somebody feel sad, you could make somebody feel angry, like there's so many things that music can do. So it's really really really powerful and special at the same time to know that, like you're literally creating the soundtrack to somebody's life.
Speaker 1: Isn't that something that's so beautifully said? But it's so true, Like you have a lot of power, yeah, you know, in what you create. And so it also makes me want to ask you, is there a project that ever made you feel like whoa, like this is bigger than me, Like something that reminded you why you even do this in the first place?
Speaker 2: Man, I would say there's a few. There's one that I'm working on right now called Sometimes I Wonder, And basically this is a song that I've actually been like producing for like seven years, and I feel like the production is done now. It's like an Afro influenced pop song. They're also like I had like live Brazilian percussion and live horns, and it feels it feels very like it's very like reflective and introspective, and it's it's about you know, it's about hopes. It's like sometimes I Wonder, there's things gonna change, people fade away, all these different things, and and so like just doing that song, I had this big vision for it, like I could see it being like we are the world, like being connected to companies like Coca Cola, Disney, the Olympics, the World Cup, like it has that feeling. And so I basically like created a whole PDF about the vision of how I could see this song being used. And I've seen these kids in Africa called Nation Infinity Africa and they have almost a million followers on Instagram, were probably even more, and like they basically are in orphanage, and all these kids used dancing as their way to like express themselves. And I took a lot of their videos from Instagram and I basically like chopped it up and edited it to the song to create an overall pitch that I started sending out to all these companies and every thing. And by doing that, I actually connected directly with that organization. And just because of my vision for this song and the way that I was able to put my vision in a tangible form, now I have like really big directors and all these people trying to like literally shoot a documentary call sometimes I wonder in And because of that, I got invited to a big event for organization that has all these schools in Africa and is creating all this impact and just so many things have come out of it to the point where it's like, now I have a nonprofit organization being that just got found it called Major Change Initiative. All these different things all because of this one song's vision and it's beautiful and it just shows how much, like you know, just putting your vision in a tangible form and really going all in on that vision, you know, it could literally impact the world. You know, you could literally change the world. And yeah, so that's a project that I'm really proud of. And then something that's come out, I would say working with Rhapsody Rhapsoy is one of those artists that puts so much feeling into her music and like really cares about the artific So working with her was a very like artful and creative experience. And so she had a song called Faith that I felt like was just so special the way that record came together and like when it and it actually just got nominated for like a BT Award in the Inspirational category alongside another song that I did called Rain Down on Me with Gloiala and Kirk Franklin. Kira shared and Maverick City. So yeah, it's just been interesting just just even reading the comments on the song, like yo, like this song made me cry, or this song made me think about this, or like there's so many ways that the song can touch people. You know, I've played the song for people and they've cried. Like I've literally played music that I've created for people and watched grown men cry before. And that's because of the feeling that I put into my music. Back to the field, It's all about the feeling. And as I'm making this music, I'm thinking about how how do I want somebody to feel when they hear this? And like I said, every decision that I make in the production process is based on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you know it's it's so funny because listening to your researching the songs that you've produced and then listening to them, the most recent one being Sweet Love, which is actually what led me to find you so surprisingly, I didn't know you produced The Devil is a Lie. You know, all those other songs that I've been loving Holy Mountain for years, not knowing you were the producer on them. But then I thought, now i know, I'm not crazy. I knew it had to be a Jamaica on that producer, I said, I could feel it in my ball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think and I think, like yo, even a lot of the new reggae music and like even some of the legends, Like I feel like a lot of the new reggae music is lost the feeling, you know. I think that like it's not being produced the same ways. It's not. It's very digital. It's very like you know, the way I approach production now is like I'm not even programming strings or horns or guitars, like I'm getting everything done live. I flew to Spain just to record the drums properly with the drum like I'm taking the extra model and applying the things that I do and even these other genres and when there's bigger budgets and all these things, and I'm trying to like take these feelings and back to the culture because I want to inspire, you know, innovation in the reggae sound and just like being able to like bring back that feeling. Let's bring the feeling back, and let's let's still innovate it, but let's bring that feeling back, you know. So that's that's something that I want to push the backing vocals. I had the Cold Bust in Amsterdam, Like on those backing vocals. Everything about it was about like the feeling and just making for sweet love. Yeah yeah, just making sure we capture the essence. Yeah, I could tell you like all the pieces around the world that came together just for sweet Love to happen.
Speaker 1: You know, listen that song. First of all, Berna Boy did an excellent job delivering that song. It's cadence, everything but the feel of that song. I'm somebody that even though I'm a young person, they call me old people picnic because I grew up around I told you know, I grew up around all my uncles, my dad, That's what I grew up around. So I love that like rock steady, And I told you this offline that like rock steady vibe, that's like that seventies rock steady reggae, Like that is my time period for sure, which is so crazy to say because clearly I was not even thought of during that time, but like that's what I grew up around. I feel like that's the time period of reggae where it was just feel good music and when I heard sweet Love, like that's what I felt. It's just the harmonies, the backgrown vocals. It was like, no, this has to be produced by Jamaica, Like no way, you know what I mean? Like this, nobody else could capture this, you know what I mean? So how did that come about? Like just getting him to do a reggae song? Was that your idea? Was it his idea?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: How did that whole thing come together?
Speaker 2: Honestly? I would say like it really started because I had another track. I had another record that I did with Rhapsode. I was a reggae It started a whole thing with me and RHAPSI doing like reggae influenced stuff, like reggae fused with hip hop. And so I had this one record and everybody wanted it. Like a record executive called me and they were literally trying to pay me like crazy money for this beat, and I honestly didn't want to sell it, just because I believed in song that we had and like I'm still planning on dropping it and doing something special with it, and so they had. What happened was they had a new new artist that they signed that wanted to use that beat, and I basically was just like, man, I really rock with this song. And then they were fighting for that song and it was a whole thing and I was just like, man, just send me the vocals. I'm gonna try something. And so so the original one was kind of more like a hip hop fusion and then this one just the song just made me go like more just fully reggae with it. And when I brought it back to them, like nobody really responded. And when I went to LA, they kind of slept on it. I'm like, bro, I'm telling you, y'all are sleeping on this. So so I went to UH. When I went to London, I was meeting with Nia Smith at the graduation office and Nia was I was just playing stuff and I played him that He was like, Yo, send that to me. And then you know, he sent it to his team and then you know, I got a call and they're like, Yo, this is the DOPESTUH reggae record I heard in like the last ten years. I sent it to burna Boy and he wanted to write write to it. He just want to make sure it's available and yeah, and you know that's where it all started.
Speaker 1: Wow, Oh that's amazing, and I agree. I agree with him. It is like it's just so well done. I don't I don't know how else to put it, but like it's just it's really well done. I feel like I'm just gonna say it here first, it's giving Grammy nomination. Hey, you know it is. It is honestly, like it's so well done. I mean, all of your stuff is well done, but you know that reggae influence, I feel like it's very strong. Yeah, in Sweet Love for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I think it's just like me having these authentic pieces, like just to just to talk a little bit of the production process. So I started, like you know, just taking the old drums off the song and taking the a cappella and and I got in with my bass player, Jerks. He's like the dopest when it comes to like reggae bass. He's played for Damian Marley, he's played for Chronics, all these people, and so he moved to Atlanta, so we connected. So I Hadham come over and we basically started started it off just like you know, building that chord progression just off the off of the bassline, and then after the after we laid the bass to these rough drums. I send it to my drummer in Spain. His name is Joanne. He's really dope showing the reggae drummer. And then I literally pulled up on Spain like and we recorded some crazy drums. I loved his sonics and the way that he captures the drums, and so that's like those textures are important to me, you know, and the way that you capture it is the difference between like, you know, taking a picture on iPhone versus like having a very high end camera and knowing how to use it, and like, you know, just the difference of that. So those things are important parts to me. Then I basically played the keys on there, and I found a keyboard player named Luke in Jamaica and I and I really had hired him to just replay what I did, but I wanted that feel. I wanted the authentic feel of someone who's alive playing reggae musicians. I was like, Yo, replay the keys, but here's the cords and give me that shuffle and give me the organs. And then so he did such a great job on that. Even though I hired him on it, it just like I pretty much added him to my team and we did some much stuff since then, and uh yeah and yeah, and then I even gave him publishing on the record everything, and so like he's really a part of my team now. And then I sent it to Bruce Beats in Miami. I had Bruce write some horn arrangements to it. Then I sent it to my other horned player, wat Him. So Bruce plays the trumpet, so now wak him. He plays every horn, so now he layers it with the trombone and all these different parts. And then I'll send it to the Cold Bus in Amsterdam and precious wisely and they come up with these I describe like the vibe that I'm going for with the backing vocals, and then you know, they put that together and it's just it's just a beautiful combination of just just me, like combining the special the specialist, you know, like the best the strength of everybody for the vision of the song. And yeah, so that's how I try to really produce everything. I think it's it. I really try to capture that feeling. And then even when I get all the pieces, it's like now it's time to color them, Like how do I mix the horns to where they feel like this? How do I mix the bass to where it feels like this, how do I So it's not just about capturing it. It's like now you have to color it. Like to me, like when I'm just capturing it, it's literally like having like a coloring book before you apply to color, you know. And then you really just got to sit.
Speaker 1: With you man, you and these analogies are like a one I thank you, and then you just got to take the best of the best, the best parts of the performance, the best parts of the arrangement, the best parts of you know, figuring out how things work together, creating space.
Speaker 2: And you know something that somebody said to me, my friend Willie lytton the day he first met me. He was just like, yo, when you hear my music, he said, I love the way you use negative space, and that always stuck with me. I was just like, when I thought about that, it made me realize that, you know, the way that you use sound and noise is just as important as the way you use silence, Like silence can be just as impactful and just as colorful as sound.
Speaker 1: You know, Yes, and that could have so wow, that could have so many different meanings. I think, Yeah, that's wow. That you might need to put that on a T shirt because that seriously, like that could have That's a whole other episode that could have so many different meanings. But I think that's very profound honestly, when you're producing, right, especially for a lot of mainstream artists, how do you protect your cultural integrity? You know, like you said, with having that song and them wanting it, but you knowing that you want it to be with you know this person or have this kind of song while still even adapting to an evolving global zone, right, because you're not a reggae producer, you're a producer of music.
Speaker 2: It's like, exactly, even further than that, I feel like I'm just an artist. I'm just a creator, you know, exactly, Yeah, even deeper than that, because the same creativity that I apply to my music, I'm going to apply that creativity when I'm doing business. I do the same thing when I'm networking. I'm a network created creatively. When I'm speaking, I'm gonna speak creatively, Like no matter what I'm doing, I want to I want to apply my gifts and apply my creativity to it, and my work ethic and all these different things. So I think it's I think being an artist is something that you just are you.
Speaker 1: Know, yeah, yeah, But how do you protect that though, because somebody could say, oh, well, you know, we don't do you know, classic reggae songs like that, you know, but you want to protect your cultural integrity, want just in a certain way.
Speaker 2: I would say, like, the way I protect it is just by living by a model that I have, which is building over chasing, Like I don't think I'm really chasing anything, so I'm not afraid to be like, nah, I don't even want to do that, or I'm not chasing anything, or somebody could want me to do something and I'm focused on this, so they could try to even stare people have There's been people, big producers who will stare me away from reggae or try to stare me away from the culture because they're just like all the people in it, or the business is different, or it's not enough money in it, or it's not enough you know, like you know, you're going to make more money doing this, and and some of those things could actually be true, but I feel like the way that I'm able to do that is just, you know, I don't make music for money, y'all. Like, I do it because it's art. I do it because I care about the art. And yes, of course you all want to make money from it and do great and all that stuff, but like, that's not the driving force of why I did music. It was always something that was about helping my family. It was about it was about love, it was about being great. It was about maximizing my potential. It was about impacting the world. It's about inspiring others, inspiring greatness and you know, setting an example. My dad always told me be a leader, not a follower.
Speaker 1: So I think, just like walking On, I have the same parents. We need to do a DNA test because we have the same parents. I'm so sorry to interrupt you, but I literally when you said that, I said, no, this wrap up the podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm crying. That's crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but no, yeah, that's so true. I'm sorry. I normally don't intern.
Speaker 2: No, you're good.
Speaker 1: That's so crazy because my dad says exact same thing.
Speaker 2: Wow, that is that is kind of crazy. Nah, but it's true. It really is true. So I feel like that's really how you protect the integrity, Like you just gotta you gotta know who you are and what you stand for you know, like like even as I'm talking, I see, uh, I see next to my name Major seven the pictures, there's no picture there. It's all black. And as I'm talking, the vocal on the meter is green and then I see yallow. So just looking at that, I see I see the colors of Jamaica. You know what I'm saying. It's who I am, and I see it. I see it everywhere I see it. I see the connection between everything. And it's just like looking at the game from bird's eye view and just knowing who you are, knowing what you stand for, knowing what your vision is, knowing where you're going, because honestly, like you have to know who you are before the world does, like you know, they learn who you are. You have to know who you are, yep.
Speaker 1: And that's the only way you can stay on your path because people are going to try to throw you off your path, but.
Speaker 2: All the time know who you are.
Speaker 1: It will be very difficult to do that all the time, Yes, for sure. Okay, last two questions before we get to our final segment, although two more hours. So one of your most known productions, The Devil is a Lie. Rick Ross and Jay Z how did that come about? You know, where were you mentally and musically at the time, and was that Did you know it would be such a big song at the time when you produce the track.
Speaker 2: Honestly, at that time, I was basically just I think I was just getting out of college. I was trying to figure I was trying to figure out just trying to figure out life, you know, and I was still like giving my all the music, just sacrificing everything possible. And and the way the record happened, you know, it was actually a bit of controversy around that record because like a producer, I know, actually try to you know, finesse and really steal to beat and take the credit. So it came out in a crazy way, and it was like kind of a big thing, but it was kind of the start of my career and really the end of his, to be honest, and so like at that time, I had r and B legend. Keith Sweat, he was he was very like he became aware of my talent. He was believing in me, and so I called him for advice because at one point they were actually trying to finesse me out the track that other producer, so this is what happened. He knew that I had absolutely nothing as far as as far as money goes, because I always had everything, you know what I'm saying. But he thought I had nothing, you know. And because of that, he tried to call me and be like, yo, I'm trying to look out for you. I know that you need some bread. And so I had somebody, an indie client, who wants to buy this beat from me. You just gotta basically do the paperwork and they're gonna give you three grand for this beat. So this time, I have absolutely nothing, like I've never made money ever in life, and three grand sounded like amazing, you know, It's like life changing at that time. And my friend was literally going to give me a ride to go pick up that money. And I sat there in the car before we started go ahead and there, and I played the beat one more time and I was just like, man, he think I should sell this beat? And he was like we actually talked about it the other day, and yeah, he was just like yo. I was telling you, like, bro, are you crazy? Get that money? And da da da da, And I literally played the beat. I called Keith, I sent it to him and then I think he was like, Yo, it sounds like it could be something. I listened to it again and I literally told him. I told my friend, I said, I said, I could hear Rick Ross, jay Z and two Chains on this beat. Like I'm not gonna sell it, you know what I'm saying. And I didn't. And I didn't even know those were the intentions of somebody else until way down the line. But I had this just delusional belief in myself and just like I know my and that's what taught me, like, yo, I have the gift division because you know that that song was inspired by you know, even me watching the movie Jangle. When I think about when I was making that beat and I heard that part of the sample, it immediately made me think of what I was seeing when I was watching Jangle and how it felt to be in that setting, and like I'm I'm trying to like capture the feeling of that movie as I'm making that beat, and so like I think Rick Ross actually had a song in that movie, and that's probably what made me think, like, yo, I could hear Rick Ross, jay Z and even two Chains, because like it has that like Mike like sophisticated ignorance and and like I always felt that way. And what's crazy was I was driving home one day too after the song came out, and I heard a DJ actually on the radio playing like remixing it with two changed vocals on there, and I heard it one time ever in my life. And then I found which I found the video clips. I tried to record it, but I was driving and I caught the end where I heard the DJ's name and actually just connected with the DJ recently. I think his name was Jalyn. I think it was a Jamaican DJ too, which is crazy in Atlanta, and I messaged him and I told him that story. And so it's just crazy because it's like, you know, the things that I believe, I'm able to see them before they actually manifest a lot of times. And people even asked me when I meet celebrities, They're like, yo, are you ever nervous? Do you get starstruck? And I always answer this question like this, I'm always like, honestly, that's where I feel most at home. I feel most comfortable because I've I've visualized these moments so much in my mind that it's like when I get there, I feel like I belong there. I put in so much work that I know that I belong there, and so when I'm actually in those rooms, it's where I feel the most comfortable. That's like that's home, you know, it's where I belong.
Speaker 1: I love that. WHOA, what's a way to take something negative or someone's attempts at you know, stopping your purpose? And see that's the thing that people don't realize. And you said something so key, this guy, whoever this guy is, thought you had nothing yep, right, But what people don't realize is when you're covered by God and when God has certain plans for you, you know, like we're say in Jamaica, who God blessed, no man cursed for real? You know, nobody can stop that. And I love hearing stories like that because to me, it just proves why you might think that you can stop somebody from prospering, but you don't.
Speaker 2: Have that posblem even without me knowing, somebody was on a full on mission to destroy, full mission and I'm not even knowing. I'm not even knowing whatsoever. So it's just kind of crazy that it played out the way that it played out. And you know, yeah, since then, that song has done so much things and for me to have seen it in a movie. And then that song get is licensed in Black Mass movie trailer with Johnny Depp. It's been in like stuff for ESPN, and it's been in stuff. It was in the Monkey Man movie. It just got licensed again and they're paying big money every time they license it. So I know that like the feeling, thank you, the feeling that I wanted to capture when after watching Jango and having that vision, you know, it just shows that that the impossible is only a matter of you know, trying and never giving up and just keep on believing in it and not just believing, but put putting action behind the.
Speaker 1: Belief, you know, right, because faith without works is dead, right, And it's such a perfect title, The Devil is Alive. Couldn't stop omar.
Speaker 2: I really got the irony in the in the title, right, like.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh my gosh, what's a beautiful story. I love hearing stuff like that. Love it. This episode is going to come out in June, probably like the first week of June, and it's also Caribbean American Heritage Month, yep, So I thought I would ask you, what do you want the world to understand about the role of Caribbean influence, not just in music, but in shaping global culture.
Speaker 2: I would say that, like the Caribbean definitely impacts the world, especially just even just being Jamaican. You know, I've seen how reggae music is so big in other places, Like I remember when I went to Japan with Sizla. I had no.
Speaker 1: Idea I love reggae, Oh my gosh, yeah.
Speaker 2: I had no idea. And I went all over Japan and seeing like people who speak English as if it's pat to, well, like they learn English through pat and yeah, it's like they don't know how to some of some of them don't even know how to say anything but bless up, bless up, and they're talking like Jamaicans, you know. So it just goes to show like how powerful, you know, island culture is. I see, like even a lot of the dances, everything, you know, it could stem from just a small island and impact the world. And I think that just goes to show, you know, how powerful our culture is because and how powerful we can be. Like it's an example, it's the perfect example of you know, you know, just being one in billions of people on this earth and being able to do something that reaches millions and billions of people is just insane to just come from an individual or just how Jamaica is just such a small place but could have global impact And isn't that something It's really a lesson in it that you know, it doesn't matter where you start, you could really impact the world as long as you're doing something unique and authentic. And I think that's what the Caribbean and Jamaica and particular thrives on. You know, I feel like we're very unique and so like the things that are just natural and just obvious to us, is or normal for us, is cool to everybody else, you know, just our swag. We have natural swag, our confidence, the way we talk. Everybody wants to talk like us, wants to look like us, wants to be cool like us, you know what I'm saying. So yeah, so I think it's true. And to us, it's like sometimes we don't even understand how special we are and how much impact that we have. So it's also, like I said, a responsibility because we set the trends of the world.
Speaker 1: You know, beautifully said all right, So before we transition to our final segment, I've been allowing my guests to ask me one question this season because you guys don't normally get to ask it. Oh really, so is there anything you'd like to ask me?
Speaker 2: Hmm, I wasn't prepared for this. Let's see.
Speaker 1: That's the point. You got to think on your feet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, cool. Well I told you I used to read the Dictionary freestyle, so it shouldn't take me too long to come up with something. Listen. I just want to come up with a really good question. All right, all right, I got you. I got you. What do you feel like? What is your vision? And what do you feel like your gift is and where do you see it have an impact? Like what's most important to you? What's your what's your what is your why? And what is your goal?
Speaker 1: Oh? I love that can tell you read the Dictionary?
Speaker 2: Yes, so.
Speaker 1: I would say, wow, that's such a layered question. So I think my gift is being a mirror for people and remind people of their worth. I think that that's my gift because I grew up in an immediate family with parents that constantly did that and do that for me. So I almost look at it as like somebody that grows up with a lot of money, right, Like, let's use that analogy. I'm not as good as you as an analogies, but I'll try. Right, So, if you grow up with a lot of money, let's say, like you're a Hilton or something, right, you might feel like I would like to give back because there's so many people in this world that don't have a lot of money. So if I could, you know, donate to a charity, if I could, you know, help the homeless, do something because I have this abundance of money, Well, I grew up with an abundance of love and with a mother and father. Particularly as a woman, it's important to have a father that constantly reminds me every day, co great I am, how beautiful I am not only on the outside but on the inside. And yeah, and it doesn't make me arrogant. It makes me grateful, you know what I mean? Because I know that's not normal. And I only know that, No, it's not. Until I got older, I realized, Wait, everybody's parents don't call them a hundred times a day and tell them they're so proud of them and very encourage them. Yeah, Like I thought that was normal until I got older, and I thought, wait, this is the exception, not the rule.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: So when I created this podcast, you know, I created it for a myriad of reasons, but the real goal was to have Caribbean persons and initially listen to it and feel seen, you know, so whether they're hearing somebody else say something they can relate to, or me saying something they can relate to and feel like, oh, that's a Jamaica, that's a Caribbean person. Like I can do that too, you see what I did then, But no, I think, like that's definitely it. And I think much like you, and I think I get it from my maternal grandmother. I can like feel people's energy. I feel like every guest I've had on this podcast, you included, I feel like God or my grandmother because she's past now, has sent them to me because they end up saying something that I need to hear, even as a host, you know what I mean, Or just like in this conversation, I usually never interrupt people, but everything you were saying, I'm like, oh my gosh, like how do you know that? Or how do you you know what I mean? And it's I don't think it's a coincidence that certain persons end up coming to talk to me. I also, and I say this probably every episode. I take it very seriously that people who are strangers to me trust me to ask them anything I want, you know, never ask me what are you going to ask me? What are you going to say? I need to know beforehand. I mean, I've had Deborah cox on here, I've had Uncle Sly, I've had so many different people that could very well say what are you going to ask me? Because I don't want to be asked anything crazy, And it's like it must be I assume something about me that they trust me because I could be asking you anything, you know what I mean. I don't take that like lightly, and I'm very aware of like the questions I ask. And I just want people to leave after recording this episode and feel good about what they've accomplished and prode. So, yeah, hopefully that answered your question.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. Thank you, Thank you very You do a great job at what you do. This is very easy. You're easy to talk to.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you. So many people say that and it makes me feel so good. And I'm a bad girl, but sometimes I feel like crying, but I can't cry because yeah, bad gilting, but no, I really do appreciate that. That really really means a lot. All Right, So the last segment, don't be scared. I'm going to ask you. I'm going to ask you six rapid fire questions, and I want you to answer with the first thing that comes to mind. So just one word or one sentence, all right, all right, cool, all right? What's one sound or rhythm that instantly transports you back to Jamaica.
Speaker 2: I would say, uh, horns, ooh.
Speaker 1: And I normally don't ask follow up questions, but I'm curious why.
Speaker 2: I think that there's so many iconic songs in Jamaica that have like great horns and horn sections and like even just the introductions. Like I feel like reggae music has so many special intros. I could almost like tell if I'm a sample of old reggae song just off of the intro. There's so many great intros to songs in reggae music. Yes, and I think a lot of them, a lot of them have like really great horn lines and the texture of the horns. It just feels so triumph in, very very unique. So I always always love incorporating horns into into reggae music.
Speaker 1: I love that And if you like horns, if you haven't heard it already, you should listen to the horns in Reggae got sold by Tomato instantly made me think of yes I will. It instantly made me think of that. And my It's funny because my my instrument is drums, obviously because of my dad. So I think of the drum roll in Punky Reggae Party and then bass too fly and the bass.
Speaker 2: Bas and drum is so important.
Speaker 1: Regular my family man yep, yep, the base two in that and then the drum solo in the beginning of everything I own by Uncle ken ken Booth, which is my dad. So I think that's how I think of drums too. But yeah, no, I'll definitely.
Speaker 2: Send you put yes for sure. All right.
Speaker 1: Next question, if you could have dinner with anybody alive or deceased, who would it be and why it will be?
Speaker 2: Tupac? Yeah, that was my That was my initial answer. Damn. And that was such a quick answer. I really didn't think this.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I was surprised. Definitely, people like take a breath.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I definitely answered that super quick. But the reason do it again if you want. But the reason why I said Tupac, Yeah, okay, I mean, I'll probably do it again. But like the reason why I said Tupac for real is because, like, like when I was living in Jamaica that second year, like I listened to so much Tupac and I loved how like artistic he was, how poetic, how like the things that he stood for, like he really stood for things and and and it just went off for principles. But man, there's there's honestly so much people like I almost have it. And it's in different categories. It depends on what I'm really trying to gain. But yes, yeah, because if it's about music, that's one thing I'm gonna be like Yoney Houston, Michael Jackson, Bob Marley, Like it's people like that that I'm gonna think of. But if it's just about in general, man, I might want to talk to Jesus. No am, I.
Speaker 1: I'm for real, that might be the best answer that.
Speaker 2: And if not Jesus, I might say King Solomon because he the wisest right.
Speaker 1: Said please to let me talk to Jesus or one of the man dames because yea, oh my gosh, that is such a brilliant answer.
Speaker 2: I I'm crying.
Speaker 1: I think I think that beats Tupac. I mean, you're not good for that, but for sure, Oh my gosh, Okay, I have to get myself together. That's hilarious.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: What is your favorite Jamaican food?
Speaker 2: Ox tail, rice and peace?
Speaker 1: My gosh, everybody love everybody's favorite. I can't even Okay, let me ask you a follow up question, and I normally don't, but I have to ask if you had to choose, you had to choose your life was on the line between ox tail and rice and peace or I can sell fish.
Speaker 2: It's an easy ox tail.
Speaker 1: Really, yeah, it's the easy for me.
Speaker 2: At least I'm not that. I mean, yeah, I love acting and selfish and you know, the breakfast acting. I mean, I'm not a big breakfast person like that. That's when I was like, yo, you might hear my stomach ground or something, because it's like I'll just get up and just go you know what I'm saying. I get up, just get my day started, and I'll start working. And yeah, so I don't really eat breakfast a lot of time, but I do love acting softish. But it's like, what's that hunger. It's just like, man, I could use the oxtail right now, you feel me?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. I had CJ. Milan on here and she produced Vibes Cartels show at the Barclays and she said the fate the same exact thing. She said, Ash, I have oxtail and rice and peas at least once a week. I said, but CJ. Your chest high once a week.
Speaker 2: It's like it's like eating a steak man, like, like, oh my gosh, it's a that's a high end meal in Jamaica.
Speaker 1: What you mean it is your chest? I have to be real high to have that so often. But yeah, okay, no, that's that's an expected answer. But I just had to ask why. All right, two more questions. What is hm hmm. What's your most fond memory of Mandeville.
Speaker 2: It was one day immediately this memory came up. It was one day where one of the older people think it was cam She had came into school on a day she was off, but she came in to get something from school, and you know, like Victor Dixon has like a gate at the front, so it's like you can't yeah, basically, uh, and I basically snuck out of school with a couple of my friends. I think it was a melody and maybe LeVar and we literally snuck out in the trunk of the car and like it went to like.
Speaker 1: A guy, this is just a story. Don't skull class please and thanks.
Speaker 2: Nah. Definitely definitely was wild when wild in my Jamaica days. It was a fun time. Yeah, it was adventure. Yeah, so that the time I skipped school and and uh left in the trunk either that time. Man, dang, I'm getting too many memories. I done thought it like two more.
Speaker 1: Now, Yeah, tell me, I want to know.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you the last one after, Okay. But yeah, so it was another time where they was having a big event at school and I think they was in like the auditorium or the chapel or whatever. And so because there's the fence around the whole school, we basically like me and my friends ran across the football field and went up the hill through the trees and everything, and then basically went up to like NCU because like Northern Caribbe University is like right up the street basically, and so we went up there and we tried to go into the store that's over there and then we saw a teacher and then the teacher literally started chasing us like around this like big water pump thing. It was. It was crazy, the teacher was chasing Nah, we definitely got got no. I wasn't safe at all, and we got a big, big trouble. Man. I think like they beat us and everything. And then we had like I think I had a rite, Like I forgot how many lines I had to write.
Speaker 1: Like it was like, yes, people in the American school system don't.
Speaker 2: I don't know about none of that. I don't know about none of that. But yeah, those memories came. Man. I actually had it for a long time. But when I went to Jamaica late last year, yeah, I was I had an opportunity to just like ride out with some friends. Yeah, and I just got to see Mandival really quickly. It wasn't it wasn't a long time, yeah, but it was just a very short ride. I also with like artists, uh, Stephanie saint Comb and Chelsea and McCoy and the whole crew. They I met them out there when I met Barris and then they just basically invited me they was going to OCHI. So I was like, yo, I about to go see my family and everything. And then they was like, yo, I'm stopping at Manival And that made me just want to go on that little road trips so bad, just because I hadn't seen Mandibal and so on, and I really only got to see it for like a quick second, okay, but just that one little split second of even like seeing the church I used to go to there being more built up and stuff. It brought back a lot of memories and a lot of nostalgia. So I really want to go back there and spend a little bit more time and really see everything. But nah, it was special to even just be back in the vicinity, you know.
Speaker 1: I love that. Beautiful. I love that. Okay, two more questions. What's a habit or a daily ritual that keeps you grounded?
Speaker 2: Hmhm, daily ritual that keeps me grounded? I would say, hmmm, I do some much things every day. But what's the thing you know? I would say, just uh man, there's so many things I do every day, but to keep me grounded, I would say, like, babe, try to pray. Like whenever I remember to pray. There's probably some days I might forget, but like so, but there's times where things happen or like I might get a crazy call, or like this meeting went well, and then like things are happening in my favor and then I have to like I'll stop and I'll be like yo, you know, give thanks, you know, and just making sure that I'm always grateful. It's always making sure I'm showing gratitude, like having having just overall gratitude and appreciation for everything and even the things that don't go my way, just like the journey itself, you know, just having this gratitude, I would say, keeps me grounded.
Speaker 1: I love that. Beautiful, beautifully said. And the final question, if the younger version of yourself could hear one of your records today, what do you think he'd say?
Speaker 2: Man, wow, I think he would be like he would he would definitely say wow. And like I didn't even know the level was that high, you know, because when I was first starting and I always felt like, you know, my stuff was dope. I always felt like I was creative. And then it got to a point where where I had an experience that really like shaped like my definition of what quality was and helped elevate my quality. I've been chasing, like higher quality ever since. And I think that, you know, just the level that I'm at right now and some of the things I've been able to accomplish. I think, just looking back, you know, like me looking back at my young self now when hearing the stuff I was doing back then, some of them were actually really great ideas, but they weren't executed well. I see that I was always a great visionary, but sometimes what I had to learn over years and skill, like my talent was being a visionary visionary, but I had to develop the skill of executing my vision. So I think over the years, I've been able to just get even more refined and better at executing whatever is in my head and whatever the vision is. So I think, yeah, I think my younger self would look at me and be like wow, Like I think they would be in awe at what I'm able to accomplish. And I think my future self will say that about myself now, because I feel like I've only scratched the surface of what my potential is. I think I'm just now getting into it for real, for real, I'm just getting started.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm glad I caught you out before you win. You're seven to eight Grammys.
Speaker 2: I'm catching no, no, no, I'm always going to be available, especially especially for the real ones. You know.
Speaker 1: Well, unfortunately that concludes a podcast, but or the episode I should say, but I have to say my little thank you you so, Omar. I want to thank you for your sound, your story, and your spirit. I think you remind us that some dreams are born through statistics, but others, like yours, are born through grace. And I think that you carry Jamaica not as a flag to wave, but as a language. You speak fluently in rhythm, in excellence, in your integrity, and in legacy. So to our listeners, if you ever doubt your purpose, let Omar's journey and story remind you it doesn't matter where you start. What matters is that you honor where you're from, stay grounded in who you are, and let that be enough to move the world. So thank you so much for coming to talk it things with me.
Speaker 2: It was an amazing time, and I just want to say thank you so much for inviting me on the show. I think you did an amazing job and I think we we covered a lot of great things that you know, I think we will have impact on some people and so I really appreciate your time and your energy and everything that you said, all those special kind words that means a lot to me as well, And those are the kinds of things that keep me inspired and keep me going. And so you know, I already see great things in your future as well, and I think that you're you're doing an amazing job. So you should. You should definitely keep growing. Anything that I could do to support, I'm with it. And with that being said, make sure you follow Major seven M A j O R S E v E N everywhere.
Speaker 1: Yes, for sure, and we would be waiting for you to win your Grammy.
Speaker 2: Let's go, it's on the way. It's already done.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, it's already done. And thank you so much for your kind words, Omar. You know I can't text stuff like that. You know that guy that love Gray, I can't text stuff like that, But I appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Let the tears flow.
Speaker 1: No, thank you so much. I had an amazing time talking to you, and I really do believe that you're meant to have this conversation and I really think it will move a lot of people. Thanks again,