Speaker 1: You'll be all right there. We got sorry about that everybody. Hey, welcome to game Breaking News with Me Jeff Grub, your host from giant bomb dot com. Thank you for tuning in. In this episode, we're going to be talking about the switch to and nothing else. It's going to be a good one. We have Lucy James on the show. Lucy, how are you doing?
Speaker 2: I'm doing well? Thank you. I watched the direct went back to sleep. Yeah, I got it.
Speaker 1: Let's let's do it. Did you watch it from bed?
Speaker 2: It?
Speaker 1: Did you watch it from bed?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 1: Yes, good good, good moves. Yeah. Sorry, it's gonna be we're piecing everything together. Jan is on assignment right now, so we are. Me and Sean are kind of figuring everything out. I didn't have the right intro, so you might have heard you mean like a gummy bear there for a couple of seconds. All right, though, you know what it is. It's a big episode. There's a ton of switch to stuff, Lucy. I say, let's just get into it. Let's explain what we do most weekdays. I Jeff Greb will help peace your gaming life back together. That includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting for all these topics, I'll get the input of a bona fide expert who will make me look smart. If you are watching live on twitch welcome, You can always listen to the show later on podcast feeds by searching for Game Mass Mornings, or find the RSS feed on GiantBomb dot com. You can also catch the show later on YouTube. Hello YouTube, all right, we have a lot to get into. Yeah, I set the thing and now let's do the damn thing. We got a lot to get into here. It is switch to is here or in so much as it's here. With they direct, they gave us a ton of info and then they gave us even more info after the direct, which we are going to be sifting through. All that stuff is coming in real hot. But let's go through everything we do know, and as more information comes in, we'll do our best to stay on top of it. If anyone in chat has any questions or concerns that you want us to bring up as we're talking about stuff, we'll keep an eye on that. I got Sean here helping me as well on the ones in the twos to throw it, So if you guys have questions, maybe you can ping him directly and he could jump in and give us some more insight as we're talking. Yes, they're making another switch, Lucy James. Do you want to know how much it costs?
Speaker 2: I actually do, because they did not reveal it within the direct.
Speaker 1: They did not reveal it in the direct, and you know, there's a bunch of reasons for that, but they didn't. They waited until afterward. They did give the price right away afterward, though. It is okay, four hundred and fifty dollars for the hardware, and then there is a bundle with Mario Kart World for five hundred dollars. What's your initial reaction to those prices?
Speaker 2: Sorry for audio listeners, because my initial reaction was a face, a little bit of not akin to the kind of face you make when you kind of suck a lemon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you made a grimace. Yeah, let's be honest, it was a grimace.
Speaker 2: It's yeah. I think overall that direct was a bit surprising. There were obviously some highlights in there. I was expecting way more first party. It was very interesting to see them focus so much on third party. Ooh, yeah, that's not a day one purchase for me at this point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it will be for me, but I'm a sucker for Nintendo stuff, so of course, But I do think that that price is high and yet not that surprising. As we were going through the direct I think we had like one more chance to all give our guests on what we thought the price was going to be, and I did was like, yeah, four fifty sounds right, And then I think we might have been on this show last week. It was recently, you know, we constantly we're discussing the prices. Like I got to point in my head it was like, because of all the uncertainty with tariffs and the global economic situation and uncertainty about even like you know, the value of the yen and all this other stuff, they probably would do some version of the of the switch To bundled with Mario Kart and try to get that price as high as possible. And that's exactly what they're doing. Five hundred dollars four Mario Kart World bundled in with switch To, and we'll go over what Mario Kart World is and all this other stuff. And the system's out. It's out July or I'm sorry, June. What was the date exactly? Fifth? Yeah, June fifth, June fifth, twenty twenty five, so about two months exactly from now that system will be out. I think that the Mario Kart move is especially smart because they are I mean, it's smart in one way and another way, it's kind of Oh, it's got people worried. They're charging eighty dollars for Mario Kart World, which is in open world Mario Kart game. It is looks big and new and shiny, and I'm definitely interested in it. There are a lot of features, and we're going to go through the direct here, you know, beat by beat here in a moment. But yeah, I think saying, okay, this game is eighty dollars, and I think it's is it seventy dollars digitally? If you get it separately, yeah, digitally so, but if you get it bundled in with the switch to, you are going to be saving money on day one. I think a lot of people are just gonna end up going for that five hundred dollars bundle and spend five hundred dollars on a switch to and not be too mad about it because they're going to feel they're getting a deal because of Mario Kart.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, I mean, Mariocott is what is these sales figures on Maricott eight at the moment.
Speaker 1: It's like it's approaching like sixty million, it's fifty million.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's wilde And I mean looking at the stuff that we saw in Maricott will today. Yeah, yeah, you know what They've got me. I will be playing a lot. You know what. The thing that got me was when they had different costumes And I really didn't expect that to learn that about myself this morning, when I was like, Peach, but she's in a new hat. Okay, Yeah, it's a shame. Like the ten dollars more for physical media. Man, are these just the times that we live in now? I guess so.
Speaker 1: I mean they are, they're hedging and for all these things that are so uncertain. You know, last month it was Trump's saying that he's going to put tariffs on imports from Mexico. A lot of these games are physically manufactured in places like Mexico and then they get imported in the United States. And if that if there was a tariff on that those games and it was like a twenty twenty five percent arif it was some insane number, that is something that they just couldn't. That is their margin right there, Like that's their entire margin. So it was going to be a problem no matter what. So they're kind of hedging against that. And really this is the saying, hey, just go buy digital, like it's going to just say it like it's gonna save us all money. In the end, it's gonna save us money. So we are actually finally for the first time, really going to pass down savings to you, at least initially. Obviously that is the sticker price. People who buy physical find other ways to save money by trading games in buying used and more people are going digital, that'll be a little bit more difficult, but you know, at least we did.
Speaker 2: Come out the other day and say that they have the game call trading thing.
Speaker 1: Yes, the family sharing, Yes, I'm sharing. That's part of this.
Speaker 2: All of this stuff, a lot of this stuff, and we'll talk about what they showed today is very reminiscent of how Xbox and PlayStation was showcasing the one and the PS four.
Speaker 1: YEP.
Speaker 2: Definitely, you know, it just kind of does kind of feel like going back in time ten years ago. But that's that's kind of Nintendo when you think about their approach to online and even even the chat stuff that they announced today, like that was very.
Speaker 1: Xbox three sixty. Yes, we'll get like I said, we'll go on.
Speaker 2: Yeah. My feelings about those guided like fake little multiplayer videos aside, it felt really strange for them to put that if so high up in the director be like, look, we're doing something new, like this is new, that's just discord Yeah, I anyway, yeah, it's expensive. And then I did say the end of the director you know there will be more announcements to come. We have a Mariocott direct in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. Wow. So it's uh yeah, I think that they you know, they're passing on the savings for the digital games, but really they're raising the prices. Right. That's another thing that all these things are maneuvers from Nintendo to get away with as much as possible, which is what all these companies do. But like I you know, I'm catching myself. I'm sitting here saying like they're passing on the savings and really they raise the prices of games. That's what they did, even on the digital side. The game's going to be you know, more more expensive than the last Mario Kart. And yet I'm saying, thank you Nintendo for not charging me as much as the physical version. So it's like that they they understand what they're doing, they understand the psychology, and that is clearly what they've done with the five hundred dollars bundle and this very variable pricing between digital and physical.
Speaker 2: And I mean Nintendo as well, of all the companies, they're the ones whose games physically hold their value way more than anyone else like that, and digitally, you know, it's so rare that you will have a huge, huge sale on Nintendo products. And so yeah, I guess this is just it's just the future.
Speaker 1: All right, let's let's just go through it. So they did open with Mario Kart World. I got all this from Matt Pass at Polygon, although we'll sprinkle in some Jordan Midler here and there from VGC and a few other things as well. I don't know, first to himself as the Scotsman, it's kind of embarrassing, all right. A new Mario Kart game was teas during the Switch Tos initial reveal, but now it's official. Mario Kart World is arriving for the console's launch. This version's twist twist the weather changes, off roading is highly encouraged, and you can keep on driving to the next course. It packs twenty four racers into each race, making this the most open world experience of any Mario Kart. And then there's the promise of tons of social multiplayer modes. It's eighty dollars, yes, and it's it's so this one. I was like kind of like also hoping for it would be open world Mario Kart because I'm a big fan of Burnout Paradise. I could imagine driving around in karts with friends could be a very good time. I hope that Togeah, yeah exactly, like you're right. They made him very feel very social where it wasn't just about racing. It was like, let's get all together and we those. It was yeah, of course, very forts the horizon. I think this is a pretty good hook for Mario Kart, like for the tenth Mario Kart, however they count it. Uh, it's one that I'm at least like, oh this, I need to check this out, as opposed to if it was just Mario Kart eight again. I played so much of that. I mean of course again I would get it, but I wouldn't be quite as excited as I am for this version of this. Do you think this can work?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, absolutely Well, like Maricott eight, what, they can't release it for the fourth time, that's right, because it was you uh no, yeah, we you switch and then there was like an expanded version or something.
Speaker 1: Yep, that right.
Speaker 2: I don't know. It's been around for like almost ten years for Maria Coott eight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, from the WU version. Yeah, I think it's been almost exactly ten years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, God, But no, I mean Marincott World makes sense, especially as they're pushing a lot of more multiplayer online functionality. It makes sense to really show off game that is going to take full advantage of that, which is Mariokott. So they got to show off game chat, They get to show off hopefully an easier way to link up with people, because man, I remember trying to get in with your friends on Nintendo Switch was an absolute pain in the ass. So I hope that they fixed that. But no, I mean, like why they're changing off roads kind of reducing that. It's to keep you playing, all right, because it kind of reduces that friction of like Hey, I'll go in, I'll play a course, and then I'm boot back up into a menu and then oh well I'm in a menu. Maybe I'll just go play something else, right, But if it's in this big, open world, you just want to drive to the next thing and keep people engaged and keep up having fun. And so I'm interested to see what else they're putting. I want to see the courses. But I mean it was a good showing for mariocartt World.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, I think you're right that keeping people playing really giving people more to do in between when their friends aren't available to play online, because I think Mario or to play in person obviously Nintendo, which was a big local multiplayer system for a lot of families, I think that if they could build out a game where it's like, Okay, yes you're playing with your friends a lot of the time you're hanging out, but in between that, let's go set the fastest speed record on this one road the way burnout or fortsa works so that there's this asynchronous multiplayer element to it as well to kind of keep things interesting for a longer period of time. I find that very enticing, and I thought the game looked really good and kind of this big wet map where you drive between all the regular Mario biomes. That totally works for me. You mentioned wanting more seamless online. Well, we'll see how it actually ends up working. I bet Frien codes will still be involved in some way. But they introduce game chat, which seems to be the primary function chat. Yes, this seems to be the primary function for that Sea button. Is you press the Sea button and it's going to take you to the Nintendo version of Discord. Is exactly what it looked like with you complete with like cameras being in an overlay on top of the game that you're playing.
Speaker 2: In it in a little circle.
Speaker 1: Yes, right there. So there was a lot of like integration into the games themselves with this. So that's like the maybe some of the cool aspects of this, but at its most based level, it is a chat system so that you can communicate with other people online while you're playing games without having to use a separate phone app, which wasn't just.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say oh yeah wait, no, I'm just I'm story. We'd just play play Myra card together. Yeah, yeah, that was.
Speaker 1: Yep, absolutely, I figured that one out. Uh, yeah, and I think that it's we're going to see people probably use this, but I do wonder how that microphone is going to work. So they showed like, if you're holding the system, there's a microphone built into the switch to just like the Steam Deck, and that works pretty well on the Steam Deck. I bet it's going to work pretty good here. But it's also that same microphone that you will be using but when it's on the dock by your TV, so yeah, you're going to be kind of shouting at a mic that's of room away. Now they are promised some like noise canceling features, which hey, they are partners with Nvidia, who happens to have very good noise canceling features, so I suspect that will work fine. But I do think it's like, man, it would have been better if you could have put the microphone in the JOYCN instead, although I guess people are gripping that maybe that would sound terrible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess if your hands are all over.
Speaker 1: It PlayStation, the door sense works that way, right, it's got a microphone built in, although I bet most people don't.
Speaker 2: In between the sticks, you don't. There is no way that you would unless you are doing something mad. Yep, you would be rubbing on that one. But yeah, with the Joycon where your hands are either it's in the little connection thing or yeah, it would just be difficult to place. I did like the example with the like, oh you get this guy making a smoothie or whatever. It's okay, it'll gill get rid of that.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. Yeah, because we mentioned it, like you're going to have like the little circles with your camera feed. There is a separate Nintendo switch to camera. It's going to be fifty dollars. You plug that into the USB sport on top of the switch. So there's one on the bottom where you can still charge it in the dock, and then there's one on top of the switch so you can add other accessories like this, and that enables people to see your video as well in the switch to game chat function. But also it'll work inside some games. You know, we'll talk about it more here, but they showed like some Mario Party mini games.
Speaker 2: Where eye Toy ask gaming.
Speaker 1: It looked like eye Toy, it looked like EyeToy and connected like it's great, yeah, And I was like for Mario Party, that sounds like a good time to me. And then there are other elements where it's like maybe it wasn't how you were interacting with the game, but it still had your little head in a bubble next to your character inside the game, so you could like see each other's facial expressions and things like that. And again, Mario Party was a pretty good use case for that, where it's like, I do want to see the misery on my friend's faces when we're playing Mario Party. That's half the fun.
Speaker 2: So I wanted to be able to make my me by scanning my face. Again, if we're gonna using the camera, wow, couch of you. I'm really interested in, as a parent, what you think about the increased social capabilities of switched to camera, because I don't know when I was playing. When I was watching the director, I was like, I don't know if I would want that for my kid to have access to you and there will be parental controls. They did say that, but it just I don't know. Yeah, I'm personally it's playing with random people online.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't need them seeing what people see when they play Uno on Xbox three sixty for sure, which is all just like my understand it's just mostly penises in cocaine, and so yeah, I want to keep that away from the kiddos. I'm gonna set that parental thing, so cameras are just not going to work no matter what in games for them, just period. Like that's how I would set that. And then it's like if they're in a friend group and it's like, as long as it's white list, that's how I'll do it. If it's a whiteless situation where it's like here's your cousin, they got this too, let's I will whitelist them so the camera and speech functionality works for them. Yeah, that's okay, and I expect with Nintendo that's probably how it's going to work. Like you have to be explicitly friends to make sure that that is going to go through.
Speaker 2: I think it is well because even my sister when she was setting up her like I gave it, I gave a switch to my nieces and she was like, oh, there was even an app for me to set it up. And so I would assume that parental guidance and controls would go in that. But unless you get a kid who's like, you know, nine, and then's just like I'm just going to set it up by myself.
Speaker 1: Oh dude, that's right. Yes, that's going to be a concerned for someone. But the like, the first video that wasn't in the direct they uploaded to the Nintendo YouTube channel was two videos about parental control apps. So they understand it's Nintendo. Of course, they like, there's a reason they haven't done this until this point other than the fact that they always do these things ten to fifteen to in this case, like twenty years later. How holds the Xbox three sixty actually, and tell me I don't need to know?
Speaker 2: No, the ioy was PS two man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and ioys PS PS two. That's right, it's easy, crazy all right. Then there was then Nintendo excuse me, local, let's do this one first, local play via game share. While the Switch allowed for local play on one console using two joy cons the Switch two's game share function will allow pals to play each other in a local setting using a single shared game even if the friend doesn't own a copy. That's something they've done on previous Nintendo consoles, so it'll be back. There will be basically share play.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh, share play remember that one?
Speaker 1: Yep?
Speaker 2: PS four Yeah, still do that they do.
Speaker 1: We tried to do it for something the other day and eventually we got it work, and it was a hassle. We did not know what we were doing.
Speaker 2: So I remember Far Cry was the one that they show four Far Cry four where you could like pop into people's games and you'd have the oh keys, the kirat.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah yeah right yes, where you can like see yeah. Didn't they eventually they did something like that with Google Stadia whatever. Either way, it's cool that that's functionalities back. Uh. Nintendo switched to Welcome to Her, so they have their own version of like Astro's Playroom or one of these introductory demo collections, and it's gonna cost money. It's not free. It's so weird, like basically you play, it's like a little character that I don't know this is gonna be in reference to that Nintendo fans get, but it looks like the same characters from like Clubhouse Games, that one that came out for Switch. But he's like shrunk down and walking around the face of a switch to joy Con and he's saying things like where are the magnets? And then the switch to the switch to Welcome to Her will show.
Speaker 2: You like Dan rik it when he said all of my.
Speaker 1: Weird characters sound like either Dan Ryker or Daffy Duck or both, and my Dan Rekord impression does sound like Daffy Duck. Yeah, I think that this is a neat thing. I can't imagine why the hair charchie. Why is this just not included in the switch to Like, you know, you get a steam Deck Lucy and that you get that little introductory thing from Valve, or you get their our headset and you get the introductory games that show you like what all the stuff does, and it's like you're in aperture science labs and your restaurant with stuff, and all that stuff's always free. What is wrong with Nintendo? Other than everything.
Speaker 2: They want money.
Speaker 1: They do seem to want money.
Speaker 2: Times they just want money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't like just include it, Nintendo, don't be so weird. It's not just like educational. There were some like here's here take those switch to joycon move like a mouse, and you could do some putting minigames and things like that, but it's like nowhere even close to an Astros play room, and yet Astros Playroom included in every PS five. So very weird company doing very weird things. We mentioned this earlier. Mario Party Jamboree is getting an upgrade. This will be a new addition to Mario Party. It's Super Mario Party Jamboree. It'll have new games, new minigames. I don't know if they said new boards, but it will have a new function and this is to bring in all of that stuff with the camera and the game chat and all this stuff will be exclusive to Switch To, and I think they are planning to have there's an upgrade path and then there's also they're selling the game separately for switch To with all this stuff included. So it'll be a Switch two box on the shelf with this for the upgrade path, Lucy, so far as far as I can see, and again, Chat, we're keeping an eye on you. If you have more details, if you've seen anything more, let us know. They haven't really said what that upgrade path will be. If you want to buy it a la carte, if you want to go out there and get upgrade for the game that you own, they haven't said. But if you're a Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pack member, that fifty dollars a year tier you get all of you get not all of them, you get many of these upgrades for free or included.
Speaker 2: I should say, yeah, to me, this feels like a ten dollar I think.
Speaker 1: That's probably going to be right, and then the switch to version is just seventy dollars, right, Like that's how they do that. Yeah, that's the way PlayStation's done it many times. I think Nintendo copying that, at least in the case of games where they have upgrades. That makes some sense. Yeah, I thought that. I thought all those Mario Party things looked pretty fun. They looked pretty cool.
Speaker 2: I genuine it was like icon't wait.
Speaker 1: Yeah, where they did even the eye toy stuff where they were balancing the goomers on their head. I thought that was very cute. And yeah, I kind of can't wait. Enhanced Zelda games and they're so they're enhancing both Breadth of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom with like things like HDR, upgraded graphics, improved frame rate. They showed it off. It looked really good. I guess this is the time to point out this is the first time Nintendo has ever done one of these streams or maybe uploaded anything to YouTube in four K. It was so oh wow. Yeah, and so it was like streaming at four K. A lot of these games are gonna output it four K and then you know, probably Zelda's case, get uprest like ten ADP and then or at least they'll render it at ten ADP and then upreds it to four K. But it looked really, really nice, and I was like, oh man, I would like to play these games again with improved visuals. That's really promising. As we mentioned there is the mouse functionality has been confirmed. They showed it off a bunch of times.
Speaker 2: They invented smart glass.
Speaker 1: Yes, they also that's right, that's right. Yeah. The app was that the Nintendo Today app? Or is it a separate app? Either way, there's a separate app can give you details about Zelda as you're playing the game, and you can then get QR codes when you create something using ultrahand uh to like when you create your various contraptions. You could share it with your friends using the app, or they could share it with you, or you can go online and find a resource so you don't have to build things yourself. But it was very smart glass.
Speaker 2: It's very do you remember the Pallenteer app?
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 2: They had Full Shadow of Mordel.
Speaker 1: That sounds familiar.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, they had like a smart glass kind of similar app where it was like tracking where you were, give you lore, give you a bunch of stuff. So yeah, very very nice mix of those.
Speaker 1: There are people who are like trying to help us find sources saying that the upgrades will be about ten dollars, but you know it's it's eighty five hundred yen in Japan, which is eight dollars and fifty cents. Ish. It gets very hard these days to do these conversions with you know, everything, I'm waving at the world everybody.
Speaker 3: That's for the full game. They're looking at, oh, one thousand for the while they're looking at twenty or sorry, two thousand yen for Kirby. So that's presumably going to translate to like ten dollars and twenty dollars depending.
Speaker 1: On the game, right, Okay, yes, thank you? Eighty five hundred, Yes, that would be eighty, like eighty five dollars.
Speaker 2: Jeez, you can get a text free if it's over fifty five.
Speaker 1: That's right. I just write it all off. I just buy it with the game mess account. I was all right. The next one was Drag and Drive, which Mike Minatti referred to as woke Rocket League. It's you.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, No he didn't.
Speaker 1: He did, and then he said, I'm not even sorry. It is a new game to show off the mouth less He's shocked. It worked in the moment. Let me see, I don't worry. It's he got away with it. They show basically, this is a way for them to have mouse functionality in one game, so that it could be like, here's something you can do, and it is characters in wheelchairs like dunking and basketball, and as you are moved, both joycon as mice. On its surface, it is like you're controlling the wheels of the wheelchair. It's neat.
Speaker 2: It looked really cool, like especially the way where you could wave to get someone to throw the ball at you, like to dung like. I thought there was a really fun implementation of those motion controls and the little mouse watching out.
Speaker 1: I did too. I think that this would have been better if it was like one of the games in like a new Pilot Wings or like a variation on that series where it's like, let's put a bunch of ideas into one game. I don't know how much this can sort of stand. Oh, I can't. That didn't mean to do that. I swear to God, I didn't to do it. I didn't mean it. Lucy, No, don't cancel me. Oh she's a shaved just to be on the show. I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't want to get trigged down.
Speaker 1: I don't believe you. I don't know if this one can sort of survive on its own. It does remind me of like Destruction All Stars, and honestly, Destruction all Stars look better than this, so we'll see, yeh. Then there was a bunch of third party games. Let's go through them here. Delta Rune is going to be coming to the system. That's the complete game. Trappers one, two, three, and four all in one bundle yep, yep, Borderlands four yep. And then let's see.
Speaker 2: Was Randy Pittford in a shiny jacket?
Speaker 1: Oh weird he wears shiny jackets now, a very interesting character development for him. Sidmeyers Civilization seven Nintendo Switch to edition. That mouse functionality added, as many predicted it would, w w E two K, NBA two K, Survival Kids Enter the Gungeon two Star Seeker Steer Expeditions, a new asterneer game, Cyber Cyberpunk twenty seventy seven Ultimate Edition, Final Final Fantasy seven remake, Integrate elden Ring Tarnished Edition, Hadis two Street Fighters six and then as I think Sean added here, local wireless matches are so back, baby, that will be pretty cool. Actually, let's see Damon X Machina Titanic Zion Split Fiction, EA Sports Football Club, EA Sports, Madden NFL, Hogwarts Legacy.
Speaker 2: Funny to me that they put EA Sports on that because those versions of FIFA are what was it? IGN would give them two out of ten every year and they would copy paste their own review because EA would just copy paste every year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean we I don't know if we know that's going to be the case anymore. This could be full fat FIFA.
Speaker 2: But it's still one of my favorite things. I jenas I've done Simon Cotty Special.
Speaker 1: It was a good move, and that's very fair to that game because those were just roster updates and that's it, and they were charging for it new every year. Hit Man World of Assassination Signature Edition, and they showed off a glimpse, a sort of tease of Project Double O seven, which is coming to switch to as well, from IOI Interactive Bravely to.
Speaker 2: All the places I thought we would see. Yeah, Project double O seven, I would not have been the switch to reveal.
Speaker 1: I know that I felt the same way. And then it's like once it's going, It's like James Bond and Nintendo have a long history. That's where a lot of gamers still associate James Bond with Golden I Double oh seven on N sixty four, So I guess it does fit. But you're right, I was not expecting that to be at this showcase. Bravely, Default, Flying Fairy HD remaster, Yakaza zero Director's Cut, can Itsugami brow Yeah.
Speaker 2: New cut scenes. Yeah, I'm gonna be playing. Let's genuinely, I tweet I posted this on Blue Sky, but I was like, why is it. I'm forty minutes into the direct and Yakaza is the killer app for the switch to for me?
Speaker 1: Yeah, It's that was surprising and really that you know. I'm gonna keep going through this list in a second, but let's talk about this real quick. A lot of these versions coming to switch to are like Colon New Edition, Director's Cut, Tarner's Edition. They're doing the Batman Arkham Knight Armored Edition. But it feels like in a lot of these cases, this is like pretty robust, like there's a lot of extra stuff in there, or at least a little something extra here and there. I think there are, For example, in the Tarnished edition of Elden Ring, it's going to include some Nintendo stuff in there. I think it's what people are saying, not a ton, but maybe a few items that are inspired by Nintendo.
Speaker 2: Well, so you'll have the Master Sault.
Speaker 1: Something like that.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Again, I'm working, I'm trying to keep up here, but if people want to put exactly what that was, I thought that's what I saw. But a lot of stuff does have or a lot of these games do have things like that.
Speaker 2: I can of love that, but it's also very surprising to me that the Hitline stuff especially, It is so surprising to me that Nintendo would allow their properties to be used in such violent games like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think, you know, I think Nintendo probably got sold on to be like it's kind of slapstick, but also Nintendo, you know, working with frum Off where we'll get to that in a little bit on an M rated Yeah, so I don't know, maybe they've changed their tune a little bit, but yes, the hit Man World of Sassin Assassination Signature edition also has Nintendo inspired stuff. Uh so yeah, I hope you get to play with Louis act.
Speaker 2: I just thought I could be playing the Cabaret Club mini game on the go all the time exactly.
Speaker 1: That's this will be how I actually fully finally play. Yeahcuz Zero, I believe.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, we should play through.
Speaker 1: That would be fantastic.
Speaker 2: Uh Colleen, you me Madima.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Hollow Night's Silk Song. I actually did appear in a sizzle reel for like five seconds they said coming out this year.
Speaker 2: Saying to me, yep, that was insane. I was like, if you're going to put silk Song in something and still say that it's twenty twenty five, and the krum that you give people, it's just boy, it's just it's just funny. Now, it's just funny.
Speaker 1: Yep, chat is right. I was mixing up hit Man and Elden ring a hit Man is the thing with the items that are inspired by Ninten. Let's see if I have you bring this in here real quick so people could.
Speaker 2: Just I was gonna say because there's Yeah, I don't I met where would where would they? That would be so out of character for yeah, got the moonlight great swords.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, I'm the big reference. I'm just seeing these Mario items in Hitman for the first time.
Speaker 2: Oh wait, wait you.
Speaker 1: I We'll see here if you to shoot catch up watching the video version on the site. That is hit Man Agent forty seven in a red suit with a mustache. And then you can get a mushroom apparently in a golden wrench maybe that he could throw at people I don't know. And then let's see here there is also a Luigi one. You can dress him up as Hitman Luigi and kill maybe. There's definitely levels with CEOs and at everybody.
Speaker 2: So oh, I mean the final one on this signature pack where he has the white suit with the red shirt, and I was like, that's giving hear you?
Speaker 1: Oh for sure? Yes, I see that too. Yeah, that's a curio look for sure. All right, let's get through the rest of this. Let me bring it back here real quick. Uh okay, so Hogwarts Legacy I left off there no story of seasons, Grand Bizarre, good Night Universe two point Museum, Wild Hearts, Witchbrook, Puyo Puyo, Tetris Two S Run Factory, Guardians of Asthma, Marvel Cosmic, Marvel Cosmic Invasion, Star Wars Outlaws, which was the only Ubi Soft game at this entire event. Normally UBI Soft's are right there day and day, ready to go with a ton of support. Seems like they just dance. There was no just dance, nothing like that now. I mean that doesn't mean they don't doesn't show up somewhere else eventually, but Ubi stuft is maybe not in the place where they once were, where they could be ready to go with a bunch of support for new hardware. I think that says more about UBI Soft than anything else, because you got EA bringing games to this thing, and ub stuff can only do Outlaws, but Outlaws on the switch to That's pretty exciting. I like that game. No Bonaga's Ambition Awakening Complete addition, Fast Fusion, Shadow Labyrinth, Rado remastered The Mystery of the soulas Army No Sleep for Economy Date from AI. The Somnium Files. I'm gonna say I the Somnium Files as how I think they said it in the direct re Animal Fortnite, Arcade Archives two, Ridge Racer coming out launch day. This was a big one for Mikey. He's wanted some more Ridge Racer stuff. I'm also pretty excited about the idea of Arcade Archives two, implying that we'll get like sort of the next gen of Arcade ports to the switch To. That's that's pretty fun. Professor Layton and the New World of Steam. First time seeing that in a minute, I like Pressure Layton quite a bit, Tamago Chi Plaza, Human Fall Flat two, and then there was a bunch of other things that kind of like had some smaller upgrades from Switch one games like SIEV seven, which will now support the mouse, as we talked about earlier. Alright, let's keep going here. High Rule Warriors, Age of Imprisonment. Zelda is back for switch To in the classic way Nintendo is known for before before Temple Zelda releases, they've had games like this in the past. Is that this is the third one. It's going to take place before Tiers of the Kingdom, and it's going to tell the sort of history of Zelda. Being stuck in the past is the implication here. So that's pretty cool. Although I'm i don't know. I'm not super hot on these games. I get pretty bored with them kind of fast. Although for this one it should run a lot better than those games did on the Switch one, which were notorious for having bad frame rates.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I tried to play Pasona five Strikers and that was not a not a fun muso experience.
Speaker 1: Out Chilli Bean, Chilli Bean, chill.
Speaker 2: Just excited about Professor Layton.
Speaker 1: I don't blame her, me too. GameCube games so coming to Nintendo Switch Online, this is something that I think I was hoping for, but it was hard to get my hopes up too high. They had games announced like during this thing, including the Legend of Zelda, The wind Waker, Soul Caliber two, and F Zero g X. All these things will support that sort of online mode where it's basically they are faking local multiplayer with multiple systems online so it feels like you can actually play online against one another. You can. And then games announced to come later include Super Mario Sunshine Fire Emblem, Path of Radiance, Pokemon Coliseum, Pokemon XD, Gale of Darkness, Super Mario Strikers, Chibi Robo, Luigi's Mansion. Now I do some point it put this here and I want to thank them. Metroit Prime too not announced for this, and that makes me think maybe there's still a chance. Because Metroit Prime did not get a release date. During this event, they did show off improvements for Metro Prime four, which included like it's going to run at ten eighty one and twenty frames per second, which is a really wild thing for the Nintendo system. But I'm hoping that it's going to go like Pickman did, where a month before Pickman four came out they put two or one and two on Switch and that's long after they are had three to looks. So I'm hoping this situation is similar here where a month out from Metro Prime four, whenever that comes out, now it's the only like that's coming out. Later this year we get Metro Prime two and three. That's definitely copium dream. Yes, maybe it's opium, and maybe that's all it really is, but I will we'll see. I think there's a chance that that's the way it could go down. But hey, GameCube games on Nintendo Switch Online, Lucy, they probably let you pick and choose which ones you download the other. The way it works right now is with like the Super Nintendo app. It just downloads all those ROMs onto your switch when you have that app, so they're just ready to go. But those are megabytes. This is each one of these games is going to be about a gigabyte. Like you probably don't want all of them taking up your space on your switch to right.
Speaker 2: Well, because also didn't they say that the SD cards aren't going to work.
Speaker 1: The original SD cards from the switch one will work right like you know, I said, like from the switch one, the ones that worked on the switch one, like old technology of SD cards. There's a new generation of SD card extreme that will work on switch to you, and those are going to be faster and support larger sizes. But this system also if.
Speaker 2: You already have a bunch yeah, if you already have like a bunch of storage options and then they're not going to work, it would suck if this new system just automatically downloaded stuff for you, that would blow. So I really hope they don't do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I they probably won't. I think that makes sense. But hey, overall, I'm excited about this. There are a ton of GameCube games that really stand no chance of getting remastered that they can put in here. There's even more that, like, we'll have licenses that will make it difficult for them to even end up in this thing, but this is a good middle ground of hey, like star Fox Assault should end up in here eventually, so looking forward to it. All right, you know we mentioned all those third party games that's this is kind of like when they were happening, and then we got on the other side of that and they sort of did the you know, the home stretch with from softwarares The Dusk Bloods, which really came out of nowhere. For me, I was not expecting this. Really, we were watching it and while while I was looking at I'm like, it looks like a from Soft game, But a lot of games look like from Soft games these days because everyone's inspired by them. And so I was like, maybe maybe this is that Castlevania game that has been rumored for a long time, And then.
Speaker 2: It I wondered if it was Castlevania, it.
Speaker 1: Would have made a ton of sense. In fact, it would make more sense than what this actually is, which is from software to the Dusk Bloods. It is separate from that Eldering Night Ring game, but this is also kind of focused on multiplayer It is an eight player PVPVE title with online multiplayer at its core. Now, PVPVE makes it sound like something inspired by like an extraction shooter or something like that.
Speaker 2: Well, Nightrain has PV Yeah, that's PvE.
Speaker 1: Yes, this is PVPVP. Yes, So this is going to be player versus player versus environment based. I don't know. I'm trying to think of a good example of.
Speaker 2: Coll theme in elden Ring, right, you can't you can do PV. You can't obviously do PvP a lot of prom games. So is it like what Night Rain meets the Colors theum?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean here's my but do you do you?
Speaker 2: I wonder if you spend like similar to the night Rain loop, but you spend the day, you spend the day collecting, battling AI enemies whatever, and then you face off against someone else at night or I don't know, it's interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah. My expectation here is it's two teams of four going in and competing for a big prize that you have to fight, you know, in game enemies to get. But then if you run into each other, you need to take the other team out. And there's there have been other games like that. I mean the one that keeps coming to mind. I think there was like a Robin Hood game or something like that that didn't Yeah, baby back and from making it. That's a good example. Yeah, I think from Soft really nail this, but also from Soft's online is often weird and and you know, byzantine and weird. As I was saying how I want Nintendo system to work, but I mean that doesn't mean that wouldn't it wouldn't be fun. So I'm hopeful, and it looks really interesting. This game is exclusive to the switch To. They are saying this is a switch to game only.
Speaker 2: Is it time exclusive?
Speaker 1: They aren't saying that, but I bet it ends up on PC eventually, maybe not that long afterward.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm on, I'm on the Dust Bloods official website. Yeah, is it me Zaki? I don't know. He's referenced. He's referenced in the press release as just the president of from Software.
Speaker 1: He's doing, uh their they have they're having some conversation with him. Nintendo is, but I don't think he's directing this. I'm sure he's involved. He's involved in all their games, but I don't think this is a.
Speaker 2: Go ahead plays the buzz one a group that has transcended human strength thanks to their special blood, and throw yourself into a violent pray for first blood as the twilight of humanity approaches.
Speaker 1: I mean it sounds like a party to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, eight players vie for supremacy among themselves and against challenging those.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I would have to find the source, Jeff.
Speaker 3: I believe when they announced the talking to the director thing, I believe he was mentioned as director of Miyazaki.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I thought I heard that as well, Sean So, so, yeah, let's let's look into that. At the very least, you know, this is a from Soft game, just like Armored Corps or Dark Souls too, where it's even when he's not involved, he's there, very much involved in development. Uh, in a way those watch it, Yes, he's watching. It's not like even like a Meamoto situation these days, where Miyamoto is there, but he's very much in the background, and it's sort of just like understanding, like maybe he could show up one day and we want to make sure he's impressed. It's not like that he is there giving advice to all the people making these games by guiding them.
Speaker 3: I can't find what we say all, but on the Nintendo YouTube channel is mentioned has learn more about the Dust Bloods and creators voice interview with director Miyazaki available on the Fishing Nintendo website in April fourth.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, all right, then this is Miyazaki's new game. I think that the way I read this, Lucy, is from Software does like working with partners, and they've had some really good U success working with Vanda Nanco for a long time. I don't think they have this what's that. I don't think band MKO is involved in this, that this is all this is just between Nintendo and from Soft. But I think the way I read it is Fromsoft did not necessarily love the way things went down with Bloodborne, and I think that they're like happy to go work with another big company on something like this and uh and Nintendo was apparently ready and willing to make that happen. That's the weird side of it to me, is Nintendo being like, yes, we'll help from Software make an exclusive game for the Switch too. But in terms of like you know, coming on this direct, Lucy, I think you mentioned it's like you know that's this isn't a day one thing for me and it was always going to be day one thing for me. But I think if it didn't have this game, I would have been, like, you know that direct felt like it was it didn't quite have everything it needed. It wasn't fully there. Clearly still not enough first party games announced for early the early part of the Switch to His Life, but the fact that it's like they have a Frumsoft game that's exclusive, I kind of can't miss that. So this is interesting.
Speaker 2: But it's not until twenty six, so that's right.
Speaker 1: This is not until twenty six, yes, so people have plenty of time to get their hands on a Switch to before this comes out. I'm sorry. There are so many cool images in this trailer, like that insane moon that looks like Yoko Taro and then that flying ten men who had like a rocket pack steam thing. I don't know, it's pretty wild, all right.
Speaker 2: Some way Vassi video is shaken.
Speaker 1: Yep, he's got a lot of work to do. Okay. They didn't end it there. There were still two more our first party games from Nintendo to talk about. The first one was the new game from mast Hero Sakarai Kirby air Riders, which will launch this year. It is a sequel to the Kirby Air Ride game for the GameCube. I think that uh Sakai always I say it's a soft spot for this game. He is a soft spot for all of his games, So the fact that he returned to this franchise isn't too surprising. But maybe it's a little surprising because of how it fits into the lineup of the Switch to Lucy. They have Mario Kart and then they have another racing game in Kirby Air Riders. That's a little strange, but they will play very differently, And I think Sakarai probably at this point is like saying to Nintendo, I'm just gonna make what I want to make, and you guys can say yes or no, But if you say no, I'm just not going to work on anything for you. So I think he kind of can write his own checks at this point.
Speaker 2: I think so too, And I don't know, I'm excited to see him work on something that he's also very passionate about, and like, I don't know, you could tell that by the end of Smash he was just very over it. Oh yeah, so yeah, I hope he just doesn't get run into the ground. I hope he's working on something that he's enjoying.
Speaker 1: Yep, and showing the trailer here. It's so they don't show too much. Eventually we get to I mean, these this is all CG and stuff. But the game's coming out this year, so we'll see more of it at some point. But yeah, even does the thing where it's like Kirby Air Ride and then they put the RS on the end to make it Kirby Air Riders. It's like, what are you doing? That's like, that's a weird way to introduce this game. But it definitely was a saccharai style trailer. Yeah, all right, and then the final thing was what I am presuming and maybe I could be corrected, but I think this is the new game from the three D Mario team, Donkey Kong Bonanza, a Donkey Kong three D platformer where that is using the new Donkey Kong design that we saw in uh when we first were seeing Mario Kart World. This game looks really good.
Speaker 2: It's it looks really fun. It looks not a Donkey Kong person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think that's going to matter for that. This seems like Nintendo kind of taking Donkey Kong back and doing their own thing with it. So like if you have a history of like Donkey Kong sixty four and Donkey Kong Country, those are all rare games, and I don't think that Nintendo ever felt felt like they those were fully their So obviously those games sold very well, especially the Country game, so Nintendo adopted them. But I think there's a reason that this is a redesigned Donkey Kong. It's meant to be like this is a new fresh start, and I yeah, I think it looks fantastic, especially all these things that they're doing with like Donkey Kong punching the ground, picking up chunks of earth and deforming the land like geomotting in Red Faction. It is a pretty wild thing to see. I mean, I'm seeing this. It looks like when you were punching all the bits in Astrobot and how fun that was, but now on a scale where you can deform the entire terrain. And we don't know like what the limitations are, but they definitely are showing a lot of that in this trailer, so it's going to be a focus. I am super excited about this, and this game is not some far away thing, it's not even holiday if this is coming out in July, so switch to will come out in June. Donkey Kung Binanza will be there in July. To me, that feels like a pretty good one two punch between Mario Kart and this. How do you feel about the launch window from Nintendo?
Speaker 2: One hundred percent? I mean, I'm excited to see more things, and especially like Third Party as they lock in releases a lot of them. I almost posted it because it became kind of a meme to me even halfway through the direct where it was like, will be available on Nintendo switch too when it launches later this year, or like day one when it launches later this year, because it was so funny that clearly the partners had not really were not allowed to say yep, and so it was like very clear. But no, I think that's a really good window.
Speaker 1: Forum.
Speaker 2: I think you are kind of giving different audiences what they want. You know, you are really keying in on people who want to play the multiplayer, who want to just unbox it around the TV, have that family time like it's a Christmas morning kind of vibe Christmas in July, Christmas in June, and then yeah, you've got the single play stuff kind of start to roll out, and I like that they are giving it, you know, like a month between these two releases, because yeah, I just honestly, both of them really appealed to me, and I wouldn't know which one to jump into first. Yeah, I'm glad.
Speaker 1: I think when I look at this trail, the reason I think it's the Mario team and I have not had that confirmed, but there are character designs that look just like the enemies right here, this guy maybe we'll get on this, say, maybe he'll make his face again. One of these bosses. Look. Oh yeah, this guy right here looks a lot like the brutals from Super Mario Odyssey. I feel like the same. Maybe you know, maybe it's same artists, different team, but I doubt it. I think this is a three D Mario team, So Lucy, that means, are we not getting a three D Mario anytime soon? I kind of can't see how that would happen. Yeah, but that means that's bizarre because it's like it's been a long time since Odyssey.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, twenty seventeen was Odyssey.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm just catching up on the stream to see where you paused it. There is there's that, man. Yeah, I mean I really I think part of me we just really hoped for it because I loved, honestly so much that I was hoping for for all the next one. Yes, however, if this is going to be kind of a gateway game for me to get more into Donkey Kong, because I didn't really grow up a Nintendo and so it's more like I'm siphoning the excitement that I had about a new three D Mario into this three D Donkey Kong. And also the name fantastic. Yes, I love it.
Speaker 1: Bonanza Bananza, he likes bananas. Someone mentioned Red Faction Gorilla, as in this is a Gorilla and it's the same text tech as a Red Faction game, which very funny. Yeah, listen, I am I want a new three D Mario, But this, in my eye eyes is basically that it's basically that, just with a slightly different character. And frankly, you know, Donkey Kong and Mario they're in the same universe. I wouldn't be surprised if Mario shows up and some like tertiary way in this game, like where he's just kind of on the side and then you know, maybe at some point he becomes a playable character. I doubt it, but I'm completely happy with this. I think it looks fantastic and maybe gives them the freedom to do some stuff that is very different that they were like, Hey, let's try to get outside the box of the Mario, and they get so outside the box. Look, actually, let's just use Donkey Kong instead. And this lines up with the Donkey Kung movie and the Donkey Kong Ride. Yeah, it's opening up universal there's a Donkey Kung Ride, So this is all kind of working in that direction. All right. There are plenty of other things to talk about, and we are running out of time, so let's do our best to get through some other elements about the switch to an info that has dropped since the direct has ended. It ended with Donkey Kong bananza. That was their one last thing. They gave us the release date. They didn't give us the price on stream. We talked about that already though, So let's get to some of these tidbits. People are a little concerned about this thing called game key cards that really kind of just add some clarity to how some things are gonna work where when a game is either too big for the game card or they don't want to use a larger game card to save money for whatever reason. So instead of getting a box with like a download code in it, you're you're gonna get a game card for so you'll have a physical game, but before the game may function, you will have to download more data. That has already been the case for some games like Mortal Kombat one I think, on the Switch one and Ellie Noir. Yeah, and then there's that big label on the on the box to let you know that's how it's gonna work. This feels like a sort of building on that and just kind of of making that an official thing and just calling them game key cards as opposed to here's a game card and also it won't work. So it feels like that them just kind of maybe legally positioning themselves to have a very specific form and maybe to encourage developers who are like, hey, we have huge games that aren't gonna make sense on even your largest game card. Can we just make this official? And that seems like what they're doing here. There's going to be a meebo for Luke, Jamie and Kimberly from street Fighter six, So Amiba are not going away. I would not have predicted predicted it would have been street Fighter characters. And then they're gonna have Ambo cards for the rest of right here, and then a bunch of Amiabo cards which are bullshit in my opinion. And then Sean here he agrees with the person above, Yeah, that's right. Let's see Mario Odyssey, Pokemon, Scarlett, and Violet are getting free switch to updates, so there will be alternatives to the big upgrades that are going to cost money or maybe be included a Nintendo Switch Online. People in chat were saying only the Zelda games might be included in the expansion pack, and you're gonna have to pay for stuff like the Mario Party Jamboree update. But we'll see how that all shakes out. A separate from that, Lucy that games like Super Mario Odissey are now just gonna run a little bit better. This is from Jordan Midler at VGC. Nintendo release the list of games that will receive free updates for switch To but won't receive full switch To addition upgrades. During Wednesday's Nintendo Directed, Nintendo announced that several games would receive Nintendo Switch To additions. Switch To Edition games are separate from standard Switch to backwards compatibility and need to be either purchased separately or upgraded to for owners of Switch one versions. However, following the event, Nintendo has announced that many Switch one games, including some of the consol's most popular titles, will receive free updates, which Nintendo says will improve the playability of select games. By connecting your switch Nintendo switch To to the Internet, you can download free updates that may improve performance or at support for features such as game Share and select games. The content of these free updates will differ depending on the game. The list includes Arms, Captain Toad, Treasure Tracker, Super Mario Odyssey, Super Mario three D World Plus, Bowser's Fury, Clubhouse Games fifty one Worldwide Classics, The Legend of Zelda, Links Awakening, The Legend of Zelda, Echoes of Wisdom, Game Builder Garage. Oh I bet that's going to get mouse support, New Super Mario Brothers, View, De Luxe, Pokemon Scarlet, Pokemon Violet, and Big Brain Academy Brain versus Brain Not Super Mario Maker two with mouse support. Come on, what do you do? Please? Please? Nintendo I need that very bad. That's a shame they might not be doing that. Maybe they're doing a new one. I doubt it though, So yeah, this is kind of part of a larger understanding of how backward compatibility is working with the switch to Interestingly, they did provide some details about how they are actually pulling this off, and they said it's a combination of software emulation and hardware emulation. The implication there being like maybe there is a specialized chip on the system, on a chip in there that is close to a switch one and is handling maybe a lot of the work, and then some of the improvements to relate it over to the power of the switch too is being done by software, and that's connecting the two things. Nintendo has frequently just included the same hardware from last generation in the new generation on its handhelds, where you know, the DS just had a game Boy Advance inside of it. So that's something they've done a bunch before. It sounds like that this hybrid solution is offering them a little bit more flexibility, But they said they tried to do it with just software and that was going to cause battery life to be really bad on the switch to because it just needed to use all of its power juice. Yeah, all the juice just to emulate Switch one games and they didn't want to just go that route. Switch to GameCube controller will be will only be offered to those who pre order the console, at least in some territories. This is from Jordan Miller, a FGC as well. Nintendo has announced that the switch to GameCube controller will only be offered to those who pre ordered the console via the min Nintendo Store. You can register with the mid Nintendo Store now say hey, I'm interested to pre order this thing when it's available, and eventually they're going to contact you and say go for it, here's your best or here's a chance to try to do that, and then in that moment, it sounds like they will offer people the chance to buy the GameCube controller. They've sold these controllers through the mind Nintendo Store in the past when it was for the NES or the Super Nintendo or the N sixty four, and they sell up fast. So I bet the game couch is gotta be.
Speaker 2: The worst left. Really, Yeah, to whip those up.
Speaker 1: The pricing was announced for other switch to accessories. The camera is going to be fifty dollars. The switch to pro controller, which is new and has like the C button, for example, is eighty dollars. Let's see here, that GameCube controller is going to be sixty five dollars. And then they're gonna have a Nintendo branded micro SD express cards with the capacity of two hundred and fifty six gigabytes for fifty five dollars. You'll be able to buy express cards on Amazon, you know, for that price and lower. Yeah, much cheaper.
Speaker 2: But this one has the Mario style m on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how do you feel about that? When the SD cards are branded? I always find that pretty silly.
Speaker 2: I those some witch had Pokemon on it, and I thought they were really cute. But at the same time, it will be in my machine war. We'll never see it, right exactly.
Speaker 1: That's the thing is, like you never see these things, so it's like hard to care too much, all right. A couple more things. The switch to home screen. We gotta look at that. It looks a lot like a switch one home screen with some more rounded elements, and that's about it. We don't know if personalization is going to be in this or not, Like maybe you can have themes now or add your own screenshots to the background. As it looks right now, it looks a lot like a switch one. Does that bum you out?
Speaker 2: Not really, I don't think I was expecting anything like two huge in terms of change. I mean, the whole time people have been talking about switch To, it's very much been in the same vein as this is not the big generational upgrade. This is more like a switch Pro. And I think that's very much in line with what we're seeing here. And with regards to the home screen two.
Speaker 1: Yep, and I'm like, yeah, that's what I mean. Yep, totally. A lot of these games look good enough to me by you know, really, a lot of them looks good enough to be on the switch one. The fact that we're now going to get a lot of those games and sixty frames per second, I'm fine with that. And then when it comes to the interface, I just need something to be hey, we can get you into the games quickly. I hope that what the real reason behind all this is so that it's super snappy to use, and the real thing is that e Shop better be running flawlessly on the switch To. I am so sorry to bring back the song.
Speaker 2: God damn it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, bring back the song for sure, as do. That's number two. That's step two after Just get it to a point where when I try to load something, it happens relatively instantly, as opposed to what it is now, which is a kind of just gruesome weight that drives me crazy every time I try to use the switch to E shop ruesome. Yeah, Nintendo will sell a cheaper three hundred and thirty dollars switch to in Japan. That's region locked. I know we'll run out of time, but my show's next, right, Sean, So we're not cutting in anything else like that, even go as long as you want.
Speaker 3: Man, you're cutting into your own time.
Speaker 1: Fantastic. And then Lucy, if you got to get out of here, let me know, we can just have Sean hop in instead. If you got anything going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I gotta go. I gotta thing, and I can I can stay for a moment. Okay, great, So I want to talk about the box off, which is why.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh okay, we'll get to that next uh switch to in Japan three hundred and thirty dollars that is significantly discounted, and it's lot I have a couple of guesses why this is happening obviously, the big one being they need tariffs, right, they can ship it to Japan, no problem there. The Japan's not gonna put tear off some one of their own companies to ship something into that country so they can charge a lot less and then the region Locke prevents people from being like, well, I'll go buy a Japanese version and have it shipped to me in the United States, and even with the added cost on top of that, it's still going to be less money than if I bought it in the United States. No, you're not gonna be able to do that, not really. I also think this might have something to do with with China. I think there was a this is kind of on the ground reporting or some maybe theorizing that a lot of hardware in Japan gets purchased and then immediately shipped to China. That's definitely true for PlayStation fives for sure. I don't know how true that is for switch, But I wonder if Nintendo was like having that in mind here and that's why this was ready to go, even because I don't know how quickly they could have gone from hey, we're making a switch to to oh my God Trump is elected and he's talking about all these crazy tariffs. We got to come up with a region locked switch to that seems a bit like a bit of a quick turnaround. Either way, it is helping them in a situation where they want to have something affordable for their domestic market and then something that they can then export at a much higher price. But I mean it does make me think that I don't I don't think Nintendo wanted to charge four hundred and fifty slash five hundred dollars for the switch to in the United States. I think they're doing that because of all of the economic situations that are happening with tariffs and with the global economic situation. So yeah, that's a real bummer that we could probably could have got the system at a much more affordable price, and now we just won't have that opportunity. Yeah, all right, the I think the box art looks terrible. I'll bring it up for everybody.
Speaker 2: It looks uneven, like, it's not pleasing to the eye.
Speaker 1: Where is it? Whered? I put it? All right, I'll find it.
Speaker 2: It's in this It's in the Wednesday Doc.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got it there. But I wanted to bring it up for everybody else. Let me see if I can find it real quick. It's like, I know, especially that like when it ever has the fine print on it, that looks especially ugly, but that's true of all game cases when they have like a big block of fine print.
Speaker 2: But I think even without it, the amed edition, never forget yes.
Speaker 1: Yes, even without that, I think that the switch to band at the top is big and bold in a way that I just don't like. Let's see, I think I do undertand.
Speaker 2: Why they just talk about with a little thing in the corner. I guess maybe to really differentiate it, to be like so clear that it's switched to yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, here you go, everybody take a look. Yeah, listen. I think that this Donkey Kong Bonanza art is fantastic, and then this it's a big ugly strip at the top just isn't right. And you're right, there's something unbalanced about it, like the feng shue is off because there's this huge negative red space next to the switch to logo, Like, just do something with all this, or make this a small badge at the top left. I don't know. I'm no designer. I just know I don't like looking at this No, yeah, and then like yeah, the case itself underneath is red as well, so you have like this border that sort of joins up with the band. I don't know, it's rough stuff. Okay, we got a handful more things to talk about. We'll keep going here. When they were picking the switch to name, they said there were a lot of ideas for the name, and we really struggled to find the right one. We even considered ideas like Super Nintendo Switch. However, Super NES, which came out after the Nes, couldn't play Anys games. Since the Switch two can play Switch games, it didn't feel right to use the same name and convention as the Super NES. Switch To is a new system with improved performance, but we'd like players to get their hands on it and not focus on the specs, but rather to think of it as the latest system developed by Nintendo. I think switch To gets that across, and I think we all kind of felt that way.
Speaker 2: Right, I think that works? Yeah, I mean Siper switch would have been fun. Yes, yeah, they wanted to get a Nintendo in there, so I get it.
Speaker 1: Yep. Let's see here, Dizzy Hippos and Chets's Warrior sixty four posted Australian something from Australia that says street Fighter six is fifty gigabytes on Switch to that two hundred and fifty six gigabytes is going to fill up fast. Oh yeah, you're gonna need an SD card. The good news though, is.
Speaker 2: The worry can buy one with a little Mario am on.
Speaker 1: It exactly, and it'll be quite expensive. You'll be able to put a terrorbyte in this thing, a terabyte SD card and it'll be fast. That the extreme version of that's going to be pretty expensive, So it might be a while before you want to buy one of those. But as you are filling up that two hundred and fifty six two hundred and fifty six gigabytes, maybe wait till Black Friday this year and get like a five hundred gigabyte SD extreme. I'm sorry, express, I keep saying extreme, all right. Zelda, Breath of the Wild Teers the Kingdom will have achievements on Nintendo Switch too. This is from Jordan Miller at VGC. This is my first time seeing this. I had the boys add some stuff in here as we were working on this, so let me read this. The legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom and the Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild will both get switched to editions, as well as a new app, Zelda Notes. That's right, it was a new app, which will be part of the Nintendo app. Also on the way is an update to the Nintendo Switch app called Yeah this is just them, repeating that this game specific service is exclusive to the switch to editions of the games and helps players navigate to various locations like the difficult to find shrine or hitting Coorac, and will even feature commentary from Princess Zelda herself that was not part of the original games, not the developers, from a fictional character the Zelda Notes. Yeah go ahead, Yeah, I hear it.
Speaker 2: When I was in this, when I was falling from the sky, I was really thinking about.
Speaker 1: Think about the performance. So I'm just working on the seat plus them at all, all right. The Zelda Notes app will also feature a long requested feature for Nintendo consoles, achievements. The achievement like weapons collected, the number of shrines completed in other in game metrics. Another achievement system, metals, will be awarded for reaching certain in game milestones, but it's just for the Zelda app. Are they going to have this for every game? It doesn't sound like it is there going to be a Mario Kart app where you can get achievements. It's a weird way to do this.
Speaker 2: That is a weird way to do achievements. It's kind of more like I'm trying to think of the games that would do it, but yeah, they would just kind of let you know how many things you've got to go, rather than trying to play the guessing game.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean it's going to be useful for these games for sure, and I bet people will be excited that there's any form of achievement. But this does not sound like system level achievements that people ever really been asking for.
Speaker 3: All right, this is a fairly common thing on Switch nowadays. Our games have just platform agnostic built and achievements. I guess Nintendo's just doing it themselves. I wouldn't be surprised if the Nintendo reasoning is because other vee system level achievements. Every game needs to do it, and they'll oft for sound developers.
Speaker 1: Yep. Probably fine. I'm personally I'm fine with that, you know me. I do not care about achievements, all right, And that they're renaming Nintendo Switch online games. They're now called Nintendo Classics. Okay, I liked that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes no sense.
Speaker 1: Definitely works for me. All Right, There's plenty more to talk about, but I think what we're gonna do now is let's wrap up this show. We'll go into grubs gimmicks and we'll keep talking about the Nintendo Switch to everybody. We'll make it a switch to sort of chat where we're trying to figure out everything, seeing how people are feeling. Maybe watch some of these trailers again in the meantime.
Speaker 2: Then you and I are playing Enzoy, buddy, Yes.
Speaker 1: Then we're playing Enzoy. That's right. Look out for that, everybody. If you're watching the Power Block, watch that. You know what we're gonna do is we're gonna skip the pole. We'll get back to the poll tomorrow with tomorrow's show, get back on track with a normal episode of game breaking news. This was a special report just dedicated to the Switch too, So let's wrap things up. Sean, thanks for your help, Lucy James, thank you for hanging out with me today and talking about video games. I really appreciate it, of course, anytime, and you know what, we'll do let's do another poll. That's actually we'll have two polls on tomorrow's episode, grade that direct, How do you feel about the switch to direct ABC or D and lower. We'll get that up there on YouTube dot com slash at giant bomb the community tab. You can vote there. We'll get the results for tomorrow's game breaking news in the meantime. Thank you all so much for listening and watching. You are the best audience in gaming. Until next time, have a good one, take care of yourself, and goodbye.