Speaker 1: You're listening to KPI AM six forty the Bill Handles show on demand on the iHeartRadio. F all right, personal stuff real quickly before we get to the news. Kno, what's new? Excellent? Amy, what's going on in your life? Also good? And Neil would like to share a couple of things. Okay not and last one anything got.
Speaker 2: Nothing fair enough.
Speaker 1: Don't ever argue with me that I don't get personally involved in my coworkers' lives, that I don't care on that I am not interested.
Speaker 3: And now handle on the news, ladies and gentlemen, here's Bill handle.
Speaker 1: And good morning everybody will handle here in the morning crew on Monday March third, You know, listening to that little promo bit just as we went on the air, I am even more impressed with myself by my complete lack of humanity. It's it's a good thing. It's a good thing, all right. I feel pretty pretty good about it. So I was talking to Lindsay yesterday and she went through her list of friends and it was pretty extensive. And then I went through my list of friends and it was pretty much crickets.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, good am.
Speaker 1: I depressed about that, absolutely not anybody watched the Oscars last night?
Speaker 2: Yep, yeah, okay, I watched part of the Oscars.
Speaker 1: I didn't know ninety percent of the people that were presenting or were that were that one and it was there were some very clever Conan O'Brien moments. There were I like him, Yeah, I do too, A very likable guy and.
Speaker 4: Great podcast by the way, too.
Speaker 1: He doesn't have a podcast. Who does not have a podcast anymore?
Speaker 2: You? Yeah, I tried, and I didn't want to do it anymore.
Speaker 1: And there were how many people were listening to it by the time it went off about four maybe happy.
Speaker 2: People ask about it every day.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: It's just too It's it's just a lot of work.
Speaker 1: It is a lot of work, and I'm moving towards the end of my career and I don't want to take more on and I'd like to, uh basically, I'll keep this show and handle on the law, and then when this show is done, I don't know, next year, the year after, who the hell does uh? Then I'm going to keep handling the law for a while and then that's going to uh do a Douglas MacArthur radio hosts just fade away and that's what I think is going to happen anyway. Good morning, uh, Neil the morning.
Speaker 3: Good morning Willie Wolf bright blue go tea today.
Speaker 2: I mean you did you redo your beard? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, sweet time, you know sweeting. Yeah, Cono keeps him on his toes.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You know I'm getting married.
Speaker 1: We heard, yeah, I'm getting married in March, and Neil is going to be there as you would expect. And I tried to convince him to uh and and he was part of it, making his beard the Israeli flag because it's a Jewish wedding.
Speaker 2: And I know the Star of David.
Speaker 1: And he was, he was with it, and unfortunately someone said.
Speaker 2: Sorry, still fighting it now, and someone said absolutely no, it's not going to happen.
Speaker 4: Okay, Lindsay.
Speaker 3: So Lindsay hits me up and she says, she's like, honey, you can wear whatever fun shoes you want yourself. And I said, I'm going barefoot and she just replies no.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: Neil and I went suit shopping and needless to say, well, just to give you an idea of alterations on a suit, Okay, after you buy the suit, you have to alter you know, the cuffs, cuffs, have to come up and maybe the pants have taken in real quickly.
Speaker 2: This is gonna be well. First, Saul, Hello, and then I'm gonna come at this question.
Speaker 1: Cono good morning, Yeah, yeah, yah, and good morning Hello and Amy yep, and Will good morning to you.
Speaker 4: Hey, good morning Bill.
Speaker 2: Hey there you go. You sound happy. Okay.
Speaker 1: So Neil and I go and buy our suits for the wedding. Neil's my best man. And you buy a suit and then you have alterations. How much do you think Neil's suit cost to alter? Neil, you obviously know. And let's start with you. What is an alteration on a suit cost?
Speaker 2: I have no idea. I'm going to say three Oh god, that's the suit. That was the cost of the suit you're almost.
Speaker 4: In here getting because it's expensive.
Speaker 2: Yeah it is, Amy, you know anything about suits.
Speaker 5: I don't know anything about Okay, great, five hundred bucks.
Speaker 2: Oh jeez, that's twice the cost of the suit.
Speaker 4: Oh no, So it's a suit with alterations. Is asking for the price?
Speaker 6: No, just the alterations alteration? I mean Neil was I think the suit was four hundred bucks? Is the suit for Neil? Alterations? I would go like ten grand?
Speaker 4: You got to get a whole new closet.
Speaker 1: Well, all right, to give you an idea, most alterat my All right, I had to alter my pants a bit and a little bit. And my alterations I think were thirty nine dollars or something.
Speaker 2: Neilsu were.
Speaker 1: He took it down to one hundred and sixty eight from one hundred and seventy five. The guy had to rebuild the suit. Well, it literally had to tear it apart and rebuild it.
Speaker 3: You just had to take in the crutch. They had to let my crotch out quite a bit. Yeah, add material, it's just different. Plus they had to get it. Yeah, they had to take a sign that said circus off mine and taper.
Speaker 2: It was a joy to see feet idiot. Yeah, we were.
Speaker 1: He turns, he tries on the shirt and it was so tight around his neck that we had to keep him from going into the bathroom and masturbating.
Speaker 2: Uh, it would be.
Speaker 3: Just autoerotic asphyxiation joke.
Speaker 2: As a matter of fact, it is the a M. That's exactly what it is.
Speaker 5: I'm sitting there going I don't know what he's saying, and AND's falling off her chair laughing.
Speaker 2: Well, she worked.
Speaker 3: Because because she worked in FM radio.
Speaker 1: All right, guys, all right, all right, you know what, We're gonna go ahead with handle on the news on Monday morning.
Speaker 2: Yes we are, Amy Neil me lead. Sorry, oh man.
Speaker 1: This week again was crazy with Zelensky in the White House. I mean insane as to what happened. One of the things about Trump. I mean, every day it becomes more and more insane. So Zelensky comes to visit him in the White House and they do their normal White Oval office sit down for photo op kind of thing where you shake hands and you sit in front of the pirate place in those two chairs, and the press is a small room too, and the press goes crazy. They're crammed in like sardines, and Trump and Zolensky and Trump and Dvance lay into Zelensky. I mean it's never been done. I mean they ripped him a new one live national television Advance calling him an ingreat. You've not thanked us once for all of what we've done for you. By the way, Zelensky has not stopped thinking in the United States. He didn't during that conversation because frankly, he wasn't able to talk. And Trump made it very clear, you don't cut a deal that we're going to negotiate with Russia, not you, the United States going to go and shaate with Russia.
Speaker 2: You don't cut that deal. We're out. You're on your own. And Zolensky then goes to.
Speaker 1: Great Britain where he meets with Sermer, the new Prime Minister, and Europe is coalescing around Zelensky, and in kind of a weird way, I think what Trump is doing is helping Europe and I will explain that a little bit later when we dive into this thing, because there's a lot to this. But man and Zeliza didn't take it. I mean he just sat and threw it right back at him. Oh and then Trump throws Zelensky out of the White House. Literally, he is asked to leave. Goodbye, You're out of here. Get the hell out of dodge. It's never happened before.
Speaker 3: It was also crazy that Vance was like, I'm not touching you, touching you, I'm not touching you. And then and then Trump was like, oh, you got something on your shirt and we looked down. He flicked him in the nose and I think they gave him a wedgie and a swirly and it was pretty I.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't have been surprised. I would not have been surprised, all right. Uh.
Speaker 5: Piling on against Zelenski, House Speaker Mike Johnson suggested that President Zelensky may need to resign to save the Russia Ukraine peace process. He said, something has to change. Either Zelensky needs to come to his senses and come back to the table in gratitude, or someone else needs to lead the country. Lindsey Graham also suggested that Violensky might need to resign after the uh, the verbal brawl.
Speaker 1: Mike Johnson, before he became speaker and before Trump became president, was one of the most vocal advocates of Ukraine and the US boat backing up Ukraine that there existed in Congress. Oops, there's one hundred and eighty degree spin and there's a little you know, a few people out there saying, wait a minute, the United States is actually telling Ukraine to get a new leader. We'll tell you who you who should not be your president. Okay, it's getting I mean it just surreal, is what's happening. I mean surreal. It's completely insane. All Right, we'll be talking more about that. I'm still spinning for what happened. From what happened, I really am.
Speaker 2: All right, moving on all right.
Speaker 3: Yesterday Israel said that it had stopped all AID from entering the Gaza Strip. Big move here, move that threatened to plunge the whole territory back into wars Israel. Israeli rather officials accused Tomas of rejecting a US proposal. This was simply at this point to extend the first phase of a week's long cease fire. So they were talking about, you know, phase two, and they never really got off the ground. Israel and the United States floated kind of a last minute proposal to extend the initial phase through Ramadan, which of course lasts a month, and then the Jewish holiday of Passover from April twelfth to April twentieth, and that didn't seem to fly, so very very shaky ground.
Speaker 2: Camas said no to that.
Speaker 1: Kamas said, we're going to continue on the way we agreed to originally. And they never, as you said, they never got off the ground with Phase two and Netta Yahu and the war cabinet and literally you have to call it a war cabinet. I think they're dead set on continuing this war, I truly do, and for political reasons too. Neta Yahu is kind of a slimeball himself, and that is he as long as the war continues, he stays in power. The second piece has been established between Hamas and Israel, his government falls.
Speaker 2: So we'll see what happens over the next few days.
Speaker 5: Let's go to the movies and see something that's not nominated for anything, because the things that one I don't think anybody saw. Honora was the big winner at the Oscars last night. Took home five awards, including Best Picture and Best Director, also Best Actress for Mikey Madison. Amelia Perez had the most nominations, thirteen of them. It won two awards. Wicked and The Brutalist had ten nominations. Wicked won two. The Brutalist won three, including Best Actor for Adrian Brody.
Speaker 1: Hey, I have a question this to ann and do we want to do a segment on this. I know normally you don't do a segment on the Oscars, mainly because yeah, you're.
Speaker 2: Ready for this.
Speaker 1: I watch what I do is I video or I record programs, football games, et cetera. And then I started about an hour in to blow through the commercials. Although the Rolex commercials were phenomenal.
Speaker 5: A were good.
Speaker 1: Were Yeah, they were excellent, I mean just superb. And so what I did is I recorded, uh, and I was playing it back, and I my recording ended before Best Picture, before Best Director, before Best Actor, before Best Actress. So I was a you know, I had no idea until this morning, and I you know, I don't know, and I'm gonna throw it to you. Is this Is it important enough last night the Oscars that we do a segment on it?
Speaker 2: Sure? Angle, Yeah, I know I watched it. If I watched it a lot of people. By the way, how many people? How many people did watch it? Do they have the numbers?
Speaker 4: I don't know yet, we don't know.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 5: I thought the show was good overall, all right, just yeah, it's just hard when most people haven't seen the movies, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's it this year.
Speaker 1: I mean yeah, the only the only movie that I actually saw was Wicked. And I am still spinning about how much money I spent because I spent thirty dollars of.
Speaker 2: It, uh to see it on cable.
Speaker 1: It was with Netflix because I wanted to see it because of the hype and then three minutes later it was free on Netflix.
Speaker 5: Wait, it's not free on Netflix.
Speaker 2: It's free someplace, isn't it.
Speaker 4: Oh, I gotta go get it.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't know. Okay, Yeah, and I didn't see the movies. I start Wicked and I thought it was.
Speaker 5: There's one that was nominated that I literally had not heard of. It's called I'm Still Here.
Speaker 4: I'm like, what, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: How about you know Elvi Elvira? You know that what was you know, the one that won all of them? You know, the the vampire Lady? Yeah, whatever, I have no idea.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Anora the Mistress stuff the dark Wow, all right.
Speaker 5: Honora was like a dirtier, darker pretty woman basically. Oh that's my explanation.
Speaker 3: For the Rolex commercials. Were they specific to la tired of not being robbed? I want to know who's in the front of your house when you walk out.
Speaker 1: No, it's actually they were actually really well done. All right, there's two one more and then we'll take a break.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: Last night, ten thirteen pm, A big jolt. It's like somebody picked up and shook the house. Three point nine magnitude earthquake hits North Hollywood area. Shaking felt across a Los Angeles.
Speaker 4: I hit to X.
Speaker 3: I went straight to X and a lot of people felt it in different areas. But it was kind of a whip and a shake.
Speaker 4: It was rolling. Oh absolutely, woke me up. I was already in bed.
Speaker 2: I didn't, but then I'm out in Orange. It was a good did you feel it?
Speaker 5: I did not feel that.
Speaker 1: Three point nine. Three point nine is a pretty good shake. I mean, there's not gonna be any property damage or anything.
Speaker 4: Super felt like something hit the house. It was one of those. It wasn't like a rolling or anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And did you hear it? Feel it? I sure did. And I hear my husband scream upstairs, okay, up there and Cono. Did you feel it? Yeah? And will did you hear it? Will feel it? I did feel it a little bit. Yeah, all right, fair enough, all right, let's take a break.
Speaker 4: It's not the first time you've asked that question, is it.
Speaker 2: Did you feel it? Uh? No, No, And it's usually and the answer is usually no. Uh.
Speaker 5: Get your measles shots, kids, That's the word from RFK Junior. Last week, he said that the outbreak of measles in Texas was not that unusual, And then a couple of days later he said, you know what, this is having a serious impact and ending the measles outbreak is a top priority for me and my extraordinary team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's great.
Speaker 1: And look at what happened in Samoa. Uh, actually paying attention to what Kennedy had said when he was trotting out there saying vaccinations were horrible, all about you, vaccines will kill you kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Samoa paid attention, and they had a measles out break. Dozens of people died and so many people were hospitalized. And so it's not unusual, as he said, breaking out in song at that cabinet meeting in at first cabinet meeting. Well, yeah, the first American death in ten years and the blow up in the number of cases more so than in fifty years, that's not unusual.
Speaker 2: Now, well, reality has hit yep.
Speaker 1: The only way that can who can get away with Look outside, it's the sun is shining when it's actually raining. Is Trump? No one else can do that. Kennedy can't say it's not unusual. Life is terrific as people are dying around him.
Speaker 3: Let's move on weather caused issues, on to Penga Canyon Boulevard. This poor road always takes it in the shorts. They're going to keep the road closed for an unspecified amount of time in the Santa Monica Mountains there. This comes from Caltrans, and you know it's often just it's damaged and closed. It's got structural repairs goinging on now. Clean up going on now because of recent rains caused washouts along the road, and the work is in addition to the repairs that were needed after the Palisades fire towards the area. So it continues to be shut indefinitely.
Speaker 1: This Yeah, who wants to live Well, a lot of people do, because you've got homes, of course on the other side of the road closure, on the north side of the road closure where it's multi zillion dollar homes. And I don't understand why prices have not collapsed up there, truly.
Speaker 2: People still want to live up there. To be open again all the way.
Speaker 3: Well, I would imagine at some point, well, yeah.
Speaker 5: Must it's making more people mad. He was on with Joe Rogan on Friday and criticized Social Security, basically calling it not even basically he called it a Ponzi scheme. He said that the US better fix its entitlement systems because birth rates are falling and post retirement life expectancy is going up. He of course, the remarks are concerned about whether he's going to try to dismantle key Social Security benefits. Trump has repeatedly said he's not touching social Security benefits.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a word about that.
Speaker 1: And that is as much as I think Elon Musk is completely out of his mind, he is absolutely right about social security being of course, it's the ponds, the one hundred percent right, you pay in the money, You use the money that people are paying in to pay the beneficiaries. And the only way it keeps on working is that if there's enough money coming in to pay off the people that are getting the benefits, and those people the money coming in from those people, those people are dropping in numbers dropping, dropping, dropping, and they're running out of money, and so at Ponzi scheme always runs out of money. And that is he's absolutely right, and you know it's they've run out of money before. All they do is increase taxes are so security that's all that's all you can do.
Speaker 2: And now you can't kill anybody to go ahead.
Speaker 4: Similar to insurance.
Speaker 3: The problem that insurance is having because you need people to keep paying in to be able to pay out.
Speaker 1: But that's the concept. I know it's but that's a concept of insurance. It sort of is. But so security is a genuine Ponzi scheme. And it was originally well when it was started, what nineteen thirty four, nineteen thirty five, when people retired, they died at sixty six after retiring at sixty five. My mother died at ninety eight. She got so security for forty years. No, yeah, five years, you got social Security. I mean, he's just completely crazy and so but no one can touch it. No one can touch social Security. It's the third rail. If a politician, if Elon Musk were to run for office based on what he said, he wouldn't get three votes.
Speaker 2: He would get mine.
Speaker 1: Because I have always said social Security is and there's no. It's not a fund either. It's not like money in the bank. Social Security fund the highway trust fund for example, that builds highways across the country. That's real money. It's a high it's a trust fund that has money in it. So Security doesn't have a time in it.
Speaker 4: How does that happen?
Speaker 1: Because so security was designed with enough workers and people dying early enough that it would maintain itself.
Speaker 2: Well, now you.
Speaker 4: Have one for one. I mean I'm putting money into it.
Speaker 1: No, because how much you think you okay one for one, how much you think you are how much you think you're paying.
Speaker 2: Social Security taxes?
Speaker 4: More than I'd like to understood?
Speaker 2: But what are you paying?
Speaker 1: A couple thousand dollars maybe three four thousand dollars? How does how does someone live on three thousand dollars a year that's on so security? You can't be one for one. I think what has started. It was six for one or eight for one. Now it's two point now it's two for one.
Speaker 2: It's crazy. The whole thing is Nut's all right.
Speaker 3: US Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick said just yesterday with the tariffs on Canada and Mexico that we've been hearing about will go into effect on Tuesday. However, President Donald Trump will determine whether to stick to the plan twenty five percent level or if it'll move. It's said that it is a fluid situation and we'll see what he ends up with as far as percentage or numbers there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and no one knows. No one knows, but I tell you it's working. The you know, Mexico and Canada, I have both come to the table. They're already doing exactly what Trump wants them to do. And there's an argument saying, okay, you know, so then why is.
Speaker 5: He still going to slap the tariffs on him if he's doing if they're doing because because.
Speaker 1: They're not, because they're not doing enough. He said, they've made some movement towards where they should be going. So I think you're going to see less in terms of tariffs, but the threat of more will always be there. It's working, you know, we talked about the art of the deal. Let me tell you it's working.
Speaker 5: Well, somebody's not talking to somebody else. According to city records and officials, the fire department discovered that there was damage to more than a thousand fire hydrants they needed repairs, and that was discovered back in August. But then apparently they didn't tell DWP that there was damage to fire hydrants and they needed to be repaired.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's going to be a little controversial. When this thing broke.
Speaker 1: Do you remember what we said instead of let's not judge right now, we have to investigate. Well they are and they're finding out there was a lot of wrong.
Speaker 2: Versus a lot of right. You know, there was a lot of right.
Speaker 1: But you know there's some screw ups here and some heads will probably roll, is my guess. Well, already you had the chief of the fire department, Crowley, who was fired.
Speaker 4: O yeah oo.
Speaker 3: The original pantry that I love and have been too many many times, that cafe on the corner of Ninth and Figueroa Streets downtown served its classic American breakfast back in nineteen twenty four, two years after CAFI started. Loyal multi generational base of regulars, and it has seen its last day at this point yesterday.
Speaker 4: So for really, what's a bazillion times.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's great, it's great, and they there's demon's strations going on. The workers are insisting they stay working, and it's just they.
Speaker 2: Will tell you how.
Speaker 1: We'll tell you owners of the restaurant when and how and how long.
Speaker 2: It should be kept open, will make that decision.
Speaker 3: You know. It has lines all the time. But and one of the things I love is at the place where you pay, the little counter you pay it is worn. It is worn down through the Linoleum because so many people have been.
Speaker 2: There there it's actually very fine.
Speaker 3: And then it's not because it's never turned to profit it really will or or.
Speaker 1: It's making some money and we don't know because it's privately owned and the foundation that owns it, the Ridin Foundation.
Speaker 2: They're gonna do something else with the land.
Speaker 3: They want to do to sell it and they're going to use the money like education and stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they're gonna use it for one of their foundational educational purposes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they can do that. It's their land. Sad it is.
Speaker 5: Cuomo's making a comeback. Maybe he's trying. Former New York State Governor Andrew Cuomo has ance that he is running for the mayor of New York City. He resigned as governor three years ago. Remember he was accused of sexual harassment by like eleven women and also because of the way he handled COVID. But he says the city's in trouble and uh, it needs help, and he's back.
Speaker 2: To do that.
Speaker 1: You want erl Eric Adams is a real piece of work, you know, cow taling completely, Uh, turning around on this. We used to be a sanctuary city. And then finally Neil let's finish it up with this.
Speaker 3: All right, thong the Vong Fong gone. Miami Beach broke up with the spring Breakers last year, and city leaders still don't have any interesting couples counseling, so clever.
Speaker 4: Uh. So they're saying that.
Speaker 3: The security measures and all those things that they put in place last year because of the spring break violence, the you know, all the DUI checked one, all that stuff, drug possession, they're going to stay in place, enhance security measures for practically the entire month of March, including parking restrictions and increased fees for non residents.
Speaker 1: Yeah, parking is going to be up to one hundred bucks for a parking space along the beach. It's going to cut down quite a bit on the revelers, and they'll be cops every thirty feet. Also a little bit problematic for the revelers, well they go out of control. You know, spring breakers are completely nuts. All right, guys, we're done. KFI AM six point forty. You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show. Catch My show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app