Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County KFI Radio.
Speaker 1: This is Mission Control, Houston.
Speaker 3: Please call station for a voice check.
Speaker 2: Station.
Speaker 1: This is Amy King with kfi's wake up Call. How do you hear me?
Speaker 4: I can hear you loud and clear.
Speaker 2: It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 1: I've landed and his name is Amy.
Speaker 5: K Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: Business. It's five oh won this Tuesday morning, March eleventh. Good morning, I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Speaking of eagles, we're watching the eagles in the nest and if if you heard, we were talking about the newest eagle that arrived over the weekend and he's like smaller than everybody else and still fighting to get his food. So we named him Rocky temporarily. They're going to do an official naming later. You could put that in there, right, But he's a fighter, so that's Rocky. And then Anne was telling us that one of the eaglets over the weekend kind of got up out of the little bowl, got away from the group, and so Mom had to like basically nudge him back and he tumbled back down and we were like, oh, he's he's an escape artist, troublemaker. Yeah. Well, there was one of them this morning when when she got up, one of them was like outside because she kind of keeps them all huddled underneath it to keep them warm, especially at night. And one of them was like right at the edge of the bowl and she was like nudging him and nudging him, like dude, get back under and we're like, he's an explorer or she's an explorer. So we're gonna name that one Dora the Explorer. Okay, Okay, so we got Dora and Rocky. We'll name the third one too. Oh, we've got Chicago tickets to give away. The Crito Center for the Performing Arts has the musical Chicago this weekend at the Cerrito Center for the Performing Arts, and we have tickets for Saturday night show. In fact, we have five pair of tickets for Saturday night show going to be fabulous Roxy Heart and her cohorts. If you haven't seen Chicago, or if you have seen Chicago you probably want to go see it again, We're gonna give those away. This hour. Keep your phones handy. We've got five pairs that's coming up. Here's what's ahead on wake up. Called light rain is in the forecast today, with a stronger storm expected to move through tomorrow and Thursday. Forecasters say it could be an atmospheric river that means heavy rainfall. The heavy rain could fall at a half to an inch of rain an hour. At times, one to two feet of snows possible in the mountains and passes including the Grapevine usc Santa Monica College and Pomona College in La County, and Chapman University in Orange County are among sixty colleges warned by the US Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights of potential enforcement actions if they do not protect Jewish students on campus. After the jury deliberated for a week and a half without reaching a verdict, a judge is declared a mistrial. In the case of an Orange County judge accused of killing his wife, Judge Jeffrey Ferguson admits he shot his wife at their home in Anaheim Hills in twenty twenty three, but he says it was an accident. Prosecutors say they're going to retry the case. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. La Mayor Bass says she did not deliberately delete any text messages while overseas in early January when the wildfires started. Bass has been criticized for being out of the country at the time and for not having any wreck heard of her communications while she was away.
Speaker 4: Let me just say that my phone did automatic delete after thirty days. We've been swamped with CPRA and so it took a while, but we're also looking to see if there's some other way to retrieve the messages.
Speaker 1: Bess was part of a US diplomatic delegation that was in Africa in January to attend the swearing in ceremony for the new President of Ghana. The La County DA has come out against re sentencing for the Menendez brothers.
Speaker 5: He A Nathan Hawkman says next week's resentencing hearing was called by the court and that he'll rescind his predecessor's motion calling for the convicted killers to be resentenced. He says the brothers haven't fully accepted what they did when they murdered their parents in Beverly Hills in nineteen eighty nine.
Speaker 1: Without exhibiting those insights.
Speaker 3: Our position is that they do not.
Speaker 2: They continue to pose an unreasonable risk of danger the community.
Speaker 5: Hawkman has also opposed a new trial for the Menindez brothers. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: The LAPD says MacArthur Park has seen a big in crime recently. Chief Jim McDonald says there are more officers in the area to fight retail and drug crimes.
Speaker 6: Over the past few months, the LAPDS increased its enforcement efforts, expanded outreach initiatives and work closely with our community partners to make the park and the area surrounding it safer.
Speaker 1: The city has also made investments in outreach teams to work with drug users in the park. The area has been plagued by criminal and drug activities for years. Let's say good morning now to kfi's White House correspondent John Decker. John, President Trump is moving fast and furious with tariffs, but then they go on and then they go off any new ones.
Speaker 7: Yesterday there were new ones that were placed on American products that was retaliatory tariffs coming from China, agriculture products in particular. But as for the US tariffs on foreign goods coming into our country. They are set to take effect on April the second, so we're less than a month away from that, but Wall Street already preparing for that. And you saw how the Dow dropped nearly nine hundred points yesterday. It's been a steady decline for all of the financial markets over the course of the past two weeks, not only because of this thread of tariffs being implemented on April the second, but also you have what the President said over the weekend in an interview with Fox News in which he did not rule out the possibility of a recession. That has really scared Wall Street, and that's the reason for that huge decline that we saw yesterday.
Speaker 1: And I would imagine John, that this is putting some of Trump loyalists. They kind of have to walk a delegate line, a delicate line, because they're supporting the president, but then there's things that are going on that might not be great for their constituents. What's the challenge for Republican lawmakers.
Speaker 7: Well, you just spelled it out, Amy, It's a huge challenge. You know, you have Republican lawmakers who want to remain low oil to the president. At the same time, as you point out, it's constituents that are concerned about rising prices number one and then number two, they're looking at this decline in the stock market. It's impacting their retirement accounts. They're four to one case. So lawmakers are hearing a lot from their constituents right now.
Speaker 1: Now. Stock people always say, investors always say, don't freak out when the stock market takes a dive like this, because it can rebound. You know, you're in this for the long haul. Sure, So is there concern that you know there's going to be a sort of knee jerk reaction on lawmakers' parts.
Speaker 7: Too, well, you know that is true. You know, to play the long game as it relates to the financial markets, very true. That being said, you know, the impact of tariffs would be something that would be felt not only in the US economy, but also the global economy for a significant period of time. You know, the financial markets have ups and downs day in and day out. But what we've seen amy over the course of the past two weeks as a steady decline in the financial markets. All of the games that we saw since President Trump's selection in November have now been wiped away because of these declines in the financial markets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's and for investors, I'm sure that makes everybody very very nervous. So here's a question for you, John, because you're you're there in the White House and following the president. Do you think people are going to be able to keep up with this rapid page pace? Like everything is happening so fast, it's like somebody opened up fire hose when he got into office. Things are just going so fast and furious. Or are we just in for chaos like this for four years?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 7: Look, I covered President Trump's first term as well, Amy, and the pace that we're seeing right now is reminiscent of what I saw in his first term. It was a very busy time period for me, you know, eight years ago, during that whole court period of time, and I anticipate or repeat of that. I do not see a slowdown. I mean the president signing executive actions almost every day and taking actions which have very real effects on the economy every week, and so I don't see a slowdown in that. And you know, look, the midterm elections will be here before you know it. We'll see whether all of these they will be and we'll see whether all of these actions taken by the President Trump and his administration have a positive or negative effect on the economy and what lawmakers will have to run on as far as the record two years from now when the midterms take place.
Speaker 1: Jfi's White House correspondent, John Decker, thanks so much for the information.
Speaker 7: Thanks Amy.
Speaker 1: All Right, buckle up, it's going to be a wild ride. I know Handel was talking about it and he's like, I'm so excited because it's just there's never going to be a dull news day because things happen and developed so quickly, and we'll be here to watch it for you. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A judge in New York has temporarily blocked the deportation of a Palestinian activist who helped lead anti Israel protests at Columbia University. Hundreds of people demonstrated in Manhattan yesterday to protect the grad students or to protest the grad student's arrest. Professor Enon Cohen with Columbia's Center for Jewish and Israel Studies compares the arrest to tactics used to detain Palestinians in Gaza, then Israeli America. I'm extremely troubled that such practices have been important to the United States and manifest themselves on our campus. The Department of Homeland Security says the arrest was in response to Trump's executive orders prohibiting anti Semitism. President Trump has said the man's arrest would be the first of many. Israeli negotiators are in Qatar to restart talks with Hamas on what phase two of a ceasefire agreement's going to look like. The talk come as Israel has cut off electricity to Gaza. Addi Alexander says his son Eden is still being held in Gaza and he hopes the negotiators will come to a consensus soon. We heard some testimonies from the recently released hostages that they saw him in the tunnels. He was strong, he tried to help other civilians. He says. Both sides need to keep talking to get everybody out as soon as possible. Talks between the US and Ukraine on how to end the war with Russia have begun in Saudi Arabia. ABC's James Longman says The meeting follows an apology from Ukrainian President Zelenski to President Trump for that explosive meeting in the Oval.
Speaker 5: Vilenski himself won't be involved, but his team will meet with the US delegation led by Secretary of State Marco Rubio.
Speaker 1: Rubio says the delegation will not be proposing any specific measures to end the three year war, but wants to hear from Ukraine about what it would be willing to consider. The meeting opened hours after Russian air defenses shot down three hundred and thirty seven Ukrainian drones for Russia. Former Philippines President Rodrigo d Duterte has been arrested in connection with an international criminal court case that alleged crime against humanity during his anti drug crackdowns. Dutarte was arrested today at the Manila Airport, not clear where he was taken. The government said the seventy nine year old former leader was in good health and was in authorities custody. Workers in DC have begun to dismantle the area known as Black Lives Matter Plaza. They started removing some of the murals and street markers yesterday. Lawmakers threatened last week to withhold funding from the city if the plaza was not removed. A bill also demanded a name change for the two block area. The works expected to take six to eight weeks. DC Mayor Muriel Bowser says the space will be used to create art celebrating the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the US next year, and a new kind of yarn will mean your cloth could soon charge your phone. Researchers in Sweden are working on a new textile technology that converts body heat into electricity through thermoelectric effects. They say the newly developed polymers are bendable, lightweight, and non toxic, and will serve as a coating for ordinary silk yarn. The researchers say the polymers will have the ability to conduct electricity. Right, Okay, I don't know.
Speaker 3: That's down on a hill during a lightning storm.
Speaker 1: That's all I can say. Yeah, no kidding, right, Hey, iheartradios. Wango Tango's returning to southern California and it's headed to the beach Saturday, May tenth at Huntington City Beach. Wango Tango's all star lineup will feature performances by Doja, Cat, Megan Trainer and a whole lot more, plus performing right at Sunset Orange County Zone. Gwen Stefani. Tickets go on sale this Friday, March fourteenth, at ten am. You can get them at AXS dot com. It's Wango Tango. The DWP board is expected to vote today on her request to provide private security for the head of DWP because of threats she has received in regards to the Palisades Fire and how the department handled it. The cost of the security detail for a year is seven hundred thousand dollars. The Trump administration is looking to shorten the enrollment period for the Affordable Care Act. It says it should be November first through December fifteenth, which it says would bring the enrollment period more in line with employer based health plans and would reduce confusion. The proposal also calls for ending coverage for migrants brought to the US illegally as children, known as Dreamers. A federal jury in LA has rejected a writer animator's claim that Disney lifted portions of his draft for a Polynesian themed surfer story and used it for the twenty sixteen animated blockbuster Mowana. Buckwoodall alleged a development director gave Dizzy a project that he had produced two decades ago and then used it as the basis for Mwana without permission. At six oh five, it's handle on the news the Menendez brothers' efforts to get out of prison have hit a roadblock named Nathan Hakman. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Stephen portnoy So. Stephen, I feel like we've had this conversation again, just a few days away from a partial government shutdown. If lawmakers can't pass a bill, where do we stand?
Speaker 8: We stand on the cusp of a vote in the House of Representatives later today, by mid afternoon, late early afternoon, i'd say your time. We would expect the Speaker of the House to call the role on the measure that would extend government funding through the end of September. Democrats are going to withhold their support. They say they want no part of this. They are wary of DOGE. They're concerned that there's nothing in this bill that prevents future DOGE related cuts. They say that it amounts to a cut because it keeps spending levels where they are for the rest of the fiscal years. Supposed to increasing them as you'd expect from year to year, and they are saying to the Republican majority, this is your house. You pass the bill on a party line basis, if you can do it now. The challenge for Speaker Johnson, whose confident it will pass, is that he already has one defector. That's Congressman Thomas Massey of Kentucky. Massy's always a no vote on CRS. He's a no vote this time. President Trump overnight called him a grand standard who should be primaried. But Massi's a no. If there's another no vote on the Republican side and all Democrats withhold their support, well then this bill does not pass. And nobody knows what the Plan B would.
Speaker 1: Be, Okay, so it doesn't need the sixty vote majority, just needs the simple majority.
Speaker 8: In the House of Representatives, they operate on a majority basis, with the exception of a suspension of the rules, which is a two thirds vote. But never mind that now. That may be operative later in the week if this doesn't pass. But never mind that now. The point is it's a majority vote today, and if it passes in the House and the ball gets in to the Senate and it's in the Democrats court. Well, that is to say, they have to decide whether they're going to withhold their support and prevent the sixty votes in the Senate. And that's where you get into this question of, you know, Democrats having leverage here because remember, Republicans control both houses. What can the Democrats do in the House. Not a lot, in fact, not much at all. In the Senate, they have real power. They can withhold their support and prevent a bill from being enacted.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this is not a done deal by any stretch.
Speaker 8: No, it is not a done deal. And look, you have Vice President Vance going up to Capitol Hill today to rally Republicans, keep them in line.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then you mentioned that there's nothing really new in the bill, so it's a continuing resolution. It's basically kicking that can down the road again.
Speaker 8: Right, yeah, I mean, look, Democrats would tell you that it amounts to a cut, that they are concerned that it'll affect essential services that Americans rely on, potentially nutrition assistance, veterans' care, a whole bunch of things. Here in Washington, d C. There's a concern that the bill does not include a standard provision in crs that would allow the DC government to spend its own locally raised funds. May be an oversight, that's the way the mayor of the city is describing it. But if it does not get added to the bill, the mayor and her aids say that they're gonna have to cut a billion dollars from the budget here in the city within the next six months, which could result in police fire and teach your layoffs.
Speaker 1: Okay, Stephen, you've been following this for a long time. Do they ever pass more than it can? When was the last time they passed like a real budget, not just a continuing resolution?
Speaker 8: So it most often happens when there is unified government, where you have you know, one party control these days, and in the you know, the idea is that you would see the passage of a full year either omnibus bill or you know, the idea of passing twelve individual spending bills. These days, it's just you know, so far afield. It's hard to I could look up when the last time it happened, but it's not in my memory, so you'd have to go back a number of years. Instead, what you have is either you know, what they call an omnibus or a cromnibus what John Bayner used to call a crap sandwich. Right, This idea that you know, it's just a whole bunch of stuff piled together, amalgamated, and you know it's subject to criticism because you know, Republicans conservatives would say, you know, you're talking about spending a trillion dollars in a single piece of legislation. There's no opportunity to dig in, and that's fueling the Doge effort. This idea that there's waste endemic in the federal government. The only way to find it is to dig deep for it, and Doe just pointing out, you know, some of the most what they considered that some of the most outrageous examples. There's some doubt about whether all of it's true, frankly, but nevertheless, you know, you get to find waste in any large endeavor, and particularly in one as large as the federal government.
Speaker 1: All right, ABC, Stephen Portony, thanks for the information. I'm sure we're going to be talking again soon because we don't know if those lights are going to stay on or not.
Speaker 2: How you bet?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 3: Thanks?
Speaker 1: La County Supervisor Catherine Barger has asked for an update from USC Health on a possible cancer risk and other effects from the Chiquita Canyon landfill. Barger, who represents the Analoge Valley including the Castaic area where the landfill is, wants officials with the US Cancer Surveillance Program to do an analysis of potential cancer clusters in the communities around the landfill. A man from Oxnard's been arrested for allegedly sexually assaulting a woman on a transit bus. The Ventura County Sheriff's office says the woman was on the bus from Cameriot to Venture Friday when she was attacked. The forty nine year old man, who the woman says assaulted her, was spotted by deputies on another bus on Sunday and was arrested. Investigators say the guy may have sexually assaulted other women on the bus or in or around bus stops. A year's long murder case against an Orange County judge has ended with a mistrial.
Speaker 9: The jury was deadlocked eleven to one after eight days of deliberation in the case against OC Superior Court judge Jeffrey Ferguson. He was on trial for the second degree murder of his wife Cheryl in August of twenty twenty three. As attorneys say the deadlock is a victory.
Speaker 1: Pung jury is part of the process, and it's also a success in its own way.
Speaker 9: The prosecution says they plan to retry the.
Speaker 10: Case, and we are ready and willing to answer, ready anytime the court tells us that the court is ready.
Speaker 1: Heather Brooker KFI News USC is among several colleges in southern California to get a warning from the Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights.
Speaker 10: The warning, issued Monday, says colleges will face potential enforcement actions if they do not protect Jewish students on campus. Letters were also sent to Pomona College and Santa Monica College in Los Angeles County, and to Chapman University in Orange County.
Speaker 1: Kfi's Mark Mayfield says the letters were sent to sixty colleges across the country that get federal funding. A Chinese citizen who is a resident of the United States has pleaded guilty to flying a drone over Vandenberg Space Force Space in poo Zoo. Was in a federal court room in downtown Lay to face account of violating national defense airspace. The drone was flown over the base in November. Ju was arrested at San Francisco International Airport in December before he could board a flight to China. Prosecutors say Ju took photos of the base. He's facing a year in prison and a one hundred thousand dollars fine. Okay, this is my favorite story of the day. Four year old boy in Wisconsin called nine one one on his mom because she ate his ice cream. Local radio station WTMG got the recording.
Speaker 11: My mom didnt that what's going on?
Speaker 1: The boy told police last week that his mom needed to go to jail. Two officers showed up at the house. The kid told them what mom did, but then he said he didn't want her to go to jail anymore. He just wanted some ice cream. The officers returned the next day with a couple of ice cream treats. Love that. La County DA Nathan Hawkman says he wants the Menendez brothers to remain locked up until they can, in his words, come clean once and for all. Nathan Hawkman announced yesterday he will not oppose a resentencing hearing, but he does oppose their release unless they admit they murdered their parents at their home in nineteen eighty nine. LA Mayor, Bass Police Chief McDonald and city officials say they're making progress in making MacArthur Park cleaner and safer. They say there's been a decrease in crime in the park and the surrounding neighborhood thanks to an increased police presence and a crackdown on gang related activity. Mcdonald' says crime in the area overall has dropped forty six percent since December. Manager Dave Roberts is going to stick around to coach the boys in Blue. The Dodgers say they have extended the World Series winning manager's contract through the twenty twenty nine season. Roberts deal is worth more than thirty two million dollars. He's the highest paid manager in Major League Baseball now at six oh five. Tandle on the News CBS tells the FCCED just leave them alone. Bill's going to tell you why right now. Let's say good morning to ABC's Mike Dubusky. Mike, if you're an ex user, you might have had your screen go dark yesterday. What happened?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: A number of how did you that platform yesterday? Over the course of the twenty four hour period that we observed, and that really did cause them frustration on the platform. About forty thousand users reported that they couldn't post or they couldn't refresh their feeds on X of course formally called Twitter. It all started around six am Eastern time, people logging on and encountering these issues reporting it to the website down detector, which tracks this type of thing, And normally we wouldn't really pay that much attention to something like this. These are very complex platforms. They have a lot of moving parts and occasionally things break and they need to send in engineers to go fix it. Usually these sorts of outages are resolved within an hour or two generally speaking. However, over the course of the day, we saw three more major outages at X that totaled four outages in total for the day of Monday, and that really did cause a lot of frustration on that platform. Elon Musk has responded to all this. He claimed that this was the of a massive cyber attack on X. He said that this largely came from a coordinated group or country, as seeming to indicate that this was a state sponsored attack of some kind. He went on Fox Business later in the day and said that this, uh, you know, possibly came from Ukraine, that this could be traced back to a Ukrainian IP address. However, for what it's worth, there is reason to doubt that this is a state sponsored attack. Cybersecurity experts generally say those types of attacks are meant to send a big, clear message. It's not very clear what kind of message several intermittent disruptions of service really sent at the end of the day. Also, Elon Musk has claimed cyber attack in the past with no evidence. Last year, he interviewed Donald Trump on the platform and that was beset with some technical issues. He said it was a cyber attack. A number of ex engineers later came out and said that now it was just some technical problems on our end. So, I mean it's very possible, right. I mean. One of Musk's big sort of mos when he took over this platform in twenty twenty two, excuse me, was that he was, you know, kind of pairing back a number of the employees there to taking away from various teams. There were a lot of intermittent disruptions of service when that happens, and seems like maybe this is just another sort of outgrowth of that. But we'll have to wait and see if there's a lot of information left to be learned. And for what it's worth, it comes at a pretty existential moment for this platform. You know, Elon Musk is obviously making a lot of headlines at the Department of Government Efficiency, is also seeing some of his other businesses feel the effects of the stock sell off, namely Tesla that we observed yesterday down fifteen percent in trading on Monday. I want to see what it does today, but it's pretty he's kind of facing it from a number of different sides at this point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll have to dive into this more when you have more time, Mike, because I know you got a heart out at right now. But thanks for the information and hopefully X people can go and do what do it's not tweeting anymore, Thanks Mike posting time to get in your business now with Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho. Of course, Mike just mentioned that Tesla stock was down fifteen percent yesterday, and uh, they weren't the only one who lost a lot yesterday. Huh.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and it's a little bit better today. I mean, when you think about Tesla. It's down about forty five percent so far this year. Yeah, it's a little bit better today because I guess the car maker's expecting a new customer.
Speaker 1: President Trump is gonna he said he's.
Speaker 11: Going to buy a Tuessla today as a show of confidence and support for Elon Musk.
Speaker 1: So we'll see. Is he going to be riding around in a cyber Trump? Well, time was the last time President Trump drove a car exactly, So we'll see. We'll see.
Speaker 11: Maybe they'll they'll switch the Secret Service to driving around in something like that.
Speaker 1: So Courtney, what caused the big dive yesterday? Oh?
Speaker 11: So, well, we have these tariffs plus a potential cuts to government payrolls.
Speaker 1: That's definitely been weighing on sentiment.
Speaker 11: There's also an increasing view that President Trump won't intervene to support the markets. In the past, usually he looks at the markets as a report card, so he's jumped in and made some moves to make sure that the markets were supported. But it seems like this time, with all of the comments that he's making, it's really not going to happen. But here's the difference. In the first term, President Trump slash taxes before beginning the trade war. Now it's the other way around, and the economic backdrop looks a lot shakier this time around, so worries are continuing to grow about the economy. Yesterday it was rough when we saw the Dow drop eight hundred ninety points, the S and P five hundred fell one point two percent, the tech heavy NASTAC it was its worst day in three years. Now this morning, we're looking at a small bounce. We're off the highs of what we saw earlier. S and P futures are up a tenth of a percent, but it looks like Dow futures are a little changed. But by the way, President Trump is said to me with top business leaders today, so we'll see what comes out of that. His meeting will include chief executives from around the country. He's going to talk to boss's Wall Street lenders, so I'm sure the President's going to get an earful from all of that.
Speaker 1: Okay, then I'm going to move over to airlines. They're apparently having a They've hit some I don't know turbulence exactly.
Speaker 11: It's there is a big industry conference that's going on today, and hour by hour we're hearing from more of them, and it seems that it's not so good. What's the bad thing, Well, they're saying that the consumers pulled back sharply from the beginning of the year. They came in the airlines in the beginning of.
Speaker 1: The year, they were so positive.
Speaker 11: Delta one of them too, but they're seeing now a rapid reversal in demand. So Delta slashed its profit forecasting. The economy is weighing on the industry. Delta CEO actually called it a parade of horribles and American they're also cutting their forecast on the fallout from that fatal crash which involved one of its planes in Washington. But what a lot of people are watching. And this is an interesting note. It's the end of an era for Southwest because they're actually going to begin charging passengers for some check luggage. So this ends their free bag policy that they had. I mean, this is a hallmark of the carrier. This is what they've had since they were founded. So this new policy is going to go into effect on May twenty eighth.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know, and I think it's interesting that they're saying it's a parade of horribles and blaming everybody else. I don't know about you, but have you checked your airfare prices lately? It costs a fortune to go anywhere where you used to be able to get some deals. There's no deals out there, no, not at all. So I think that they maybe need to look back at themselves a little bit on this too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 11: I'm always looking for flights to Floria. My brother, I've said to you before, lives in Florida, and I'm constantly having that And it's so expensive to be able to go when what kind of service are we getting for all of that? So we're getting delays. That's why now, no matter what flight I do, I always try to go.
Speaker 1: First thing in the morning.
Speaker 11: It's just you know, there's no way, yep, yeah, because later on in the day you're just sitting I'm sitting at JFK for how many hours and something I don't want to do with two small kids.
Speaker 1: All right, Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho, thanks so much for the information. We're going to get in your business again tomorrow morning at five forty, just like we do every day on wake up call, See you later, all right. The first of two rainstorms is moving into southern California. The National Weather Services a stronger atmospheric river will roll in early tomorrow and continue through Thursday. Most of La and Ventura Counties will be under a floodwatch from six Wednesday night until six Thursday night. There are concerns of mud and debris flows in the burn areas. LA County Supervisor Katherine Barker is called on the USC Cancer Surveillance Program to do an analysis of potential cancer clusters in communities surrounding the Chikita Canyon landfill in the Castaic area. Residents have been complaining for years that knoxish fume from the landfill hap and making them sick. A top executive at State Farm's been fired after talking about the company's rate hikes following the LA wildfires. An undercover video recorded during a tender date shows Hayden Kirkpatrick talking about homes that should have never been built in burn areas and that State Farm was able to negotiate rate hikes by threatening to cancel homeowners insurance policies. State Farm's trying to get approval to raise insurance rates by twenty two percent. We're just minutes away from handle on the news. A federal judge has blocked the Trump administration from deporting a pro Palestinian activist, at least for now. Right now, let's say good morning too, ABC's Jim Ryan. So, Jim, we got a fun topic. Let's talk about capital punishment.
Speaker 3: It is fun, all right, It's interesting, at least not fun.
Speaker 1: But interesting. It is interesting.
Speaker 3: We had two cases on this past Friday. A guy named Brad Sigmund, sixty seven year old, was put to death in South Carolina for the killing of his ex girlfriend's parents. He killed them both, bludging them. In two thousand and one, the option, how do you want to die, mister Sigmund? You have the option a firing squad, electric chair, lethal injection. He chose a firing squad, and that's how he was put to death. It was over in seconds essentially. Then that apparently is what he wanted. He wanted a quick end. This coming week, there is another execution planned in Louisiana. Jesse Hoffman is that convict's name, and he's to die by a relatively new method, nitrogen hypoxia. So the inmate is on the gurney or on the table. They're in the execution table room. They put a mask over the face, something like you'd see in the dentist office. It's feeding in oxygen, but that oxygen is replaced gradually with nitrogen, and your body can't use that and you eventually suffocate. He's fighting that, Jesse Hoffman is he and his attorneys will go before a judge and demand that this not be done. He'd rather have and he says, for religious reasons and for human rights reasons, he wants to drink some app juice with poisoning it. Essentially, Okay, that.
Speaker 1: Doesn't sound pleasant either, No, not that they deserve pleasant, but yeah, the nitrixace, that one where you're suffocating, that would that would that doesn't sound great either.
Speaker 3: Well, and it's not apparently. I mean, you know, the goal I suppose is that you would lose consciousness before your organs eventually start to shut down. But in Alabama it's been tried a couple of times, and witnesses have said that they made writhes around appears to be in pain thrashes on the table before finally dying. So yeah, this doesn't there's not a good way to go if you're being well.
Speaker 1: But I think there is, And I don't understand why we just don't do this, So why don't you just give people a dose apropofil, knock them out, and then do it and then you just go to sleep like then, then everybody who complains about it because you've seen like on TV shows. I've never seen an execution live, but you've seen TV shoes show where you know, there is it's obviously painful and they're you know, frothing at the mouth and writhing and that kind of stuff. I mean, And of course these are really bad people who probably don't deserve to be a lie, But why not just put him to sleep like that or do it like you know, like you do it with when they euthanize dogs.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, and that's that's kind of what Hoffman is looking for.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 3: This guy in Louisiana I did execute or I did. I witnessed an execution fifteen twenty years ago, maybe as part of the job, right, And it was lethal injection here in Texas, and it was peaceful, it was quiet, and it was over in ten minutes or so. But this guy, he's wanting to do exactly what you're talking about. His attorneys want to change the protocols so that he would be taking an oral solution of different drugs mixed with apple juice, which would be something like euthanasia. Right, Yeah, so that's what he's pushing for now, and we'll see what happens.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I used to be for the death penalty, but now I don't know that I am any longer. And part of it is because of the cost, like that you put somebody on death row, then they have to be separated from population, and then there's the appeals and then it draws out for twenty years. And how does the family get any closure when that person's sitting there for twenty years and you never know if you're actually going to get that closure, Like it's just it's like it remains an open wound. You know.
Speaker 3: Well that's true. And this is getting really deep, but let's see.
Speaker 1: But that's where we go on. Wake up called Jim.
Speaker 3: I hear you. But so it depends upon I guess, your personal your personal view of justice or your view of punishment, or you want the person to suffer. Right, So staying in prison the rest of your life is not fun. You're suffering there being put to death. The suffering, I suppose it's ended, but that person is gone by the way. I mean, I think the whole country is wrestling with this the same way that you are aiming. Was Gallup poll done late last year that showed that fifty three percent of Americans support capital punishment. That's a five decade low. Back the nineteen nineties had eighty percent of Americans okay with the death penalty. So the numbers is a dropping off, and it varies by political party. It also varies by age. Older people tend to support it, younger people not so much.
Speaker 1: All right, ABC's Jim Ryan. We'll be watching to see what they come up with. Yeah, all right, I don't like the idea that nitrous oxide, that one that sounds it's not like you're getting laughing gas.
Speaker 5: And how many times have we put our pets to sleep and it seems so peaceful placeful, yes, like boom boom.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Officials in La say crime around MacArthur Park is down.
Speaker 5: The park has long been troubled by drug users and homeless people and illegal street vendors. LAPD chief Jim McDonald says his officers have recently busted up a large scale organized retail crime operation of the park.
Speaker 6: These operators are closely linked to violent street gangs which control illegal vending, stolen merchandise trade, and narcotic sales.
Speaker 5: Officers say they were covered three hundred and fifty thousand dollars in stolen goods and one fell swoop. The city has also invested in more outreach programs and providing more overdose reversal kits. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: Canada's new Prime Minister, Mark Carney has sent a signal to the US that he will respond to tariffs on Canadian goods imposed by the Trump administration. Mark Carney says he's ready to match Trump blow for blow.
Speaker 2: They should make no mistake in trade.
Speaker 1: As in hockey, Canada will win ouch. Trump is imposed twenty five percent tariffs on imported goods and products from Canada and Mexico.
Speaker 5: Makewey Magwell.
Speaker 1: A jury in LA has found Disney did not steal any ideas for its hit twenty sixteen movie Mowanna from a Man's Story about a surfer boy. The copyright infringement case started five years ago. Buck Woodall claims Mowana was lifted from his script called Bucky the Surfer Boy. He says he gave it to a relative who had ties to Disney. Woodall also has another ten billion dollar claim against Disney over the twenty twenty four sequel Mowana two. If you would like to do something fun on a beautiful Sunday afternoon, I got an idea for you. It's called the Wiggle Waggle Walk, and we're gonna be doing it on April sixth, Brookside Park of the Rose Bowl. It's the Wiggle Waggle Walk and Run to benefit Pasadena Humane and there's a shorter walk and a longer walk. The event starts at eight. The walk and runs starts at nine and along with a lovely stroll or run around the Rose Bowl area, there are vendors and food trucks and training demonstrations and a dog costume contest. And we're gonna have a KFI booth out there and some exclusive ca AFI swag for you. We would love for you to join our team, the Wake Up Call Wigglers and walk with us again. It's on Sunday, April sixth, Brookside Park at the Rose Bowl. And here's how you can sign up to join the wake up call Wigglers KFI AM six forty dot com slash wiggle, And we know a lot of you join us every year and we so appreciate it. And if you haven't joined us before, come on out and walk with us again. KFIAM six forty dot com slash wiggle. If you can't join us, you can always still make a donation. Again, everything goes right to Pasadena Humane who's making life better and keeping our pups and kittens safe until they can get into their forever homes. This is KFI and kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County Southland weather from KFI. Rain today his in the fifties to low sixties, lows tonight in the forties to low fifties, and other storms moving in tomorrow and Thursday, with one to two inches of rain expected in the base in, two to four inches in theis and up to two feet of snow in the mountains. Daytime highs will be in the fifties, overnight lows in the forties, a slight chance of rain on Friday, should be dry on Saturday, and then we've got a chance of rain again late Sunday. It's fifty five in or Irvine fifty five in Huntington Beach, fifty six in Si Rito's, forty eight in Canyon Country. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom for producer and and technical producer Kno along with traffic specialist Will I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up Call. If you missed any of wake Up Call, you can listen to any time on the iHeart Radio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.