Speaker 1: The following program is produced by the Tech Talk Radio Network.
Speaker 2: My problem is, I've got my pointer in the middle of the screen and I need to move it to the left, but my mouth is over on the left hand side of the pad, and if I go any further to the left, it's going to go off the pad. Anyway, if you can give me a call, I appreciate it. I'll wait till you until I hear from you.
Speaker 3: Welcome to another episode of tech Talk Radio.
Speaker 1: I'm Andy Taylor, I'm Sean de Weird, I'm Matt Jones, and I'm justin.
Speaker 4: Let me welcome.
Speaker 3: It's good to have Matt back with It's been a little while.
Speaker 4: How you doing, Matt, I'm I'm alive and right now that that's a victory, that's good.
Speaker 1: We're glad you're here. I have to just it is in a bad mood today. We can tell because he doesn't hired, he's tired, and he doesn't have the football game on the TV because last week was an absolute nightmare.
Speaker 4: That's a little ridiculous on their part. Honestly it Listen, remember, if you don't have the approval of CBS, the NFL and it's subsidiaries, which we saw in Family Guy when the FBI busted.
Speaker 5: Oh no, no, no, this.
Speaker 3: Was the mouse.
Speaker 4: This was the mouse. Yeah, oh it was the mouse.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Those Monday night football, Yeah yeah yeah football, Monday night football.
Speaker 5: I literally, for those of you don't know, I mean we we also filmed this and we put it up on the website or on YouTube, and I literally had the game on in the background and it was like half of my television.
Speaker 4: You could even see the whole thing. It was like a half of it, and there was no audio marked. There was no audio. They marked it for copyright.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I went to upload this the video. You know, we have the one hour video. And I went to upload it and the YouTube plagged it. It said, oh, this has copyright copyritten content in their NFL, and it showed me where those areas were. So I thought, wow, okay, that's kind of crazy. So I went and looked and I'm like, it looks just like every other scene, right. So I finally I said, okay, it said that it will still play though, but it's not going to affect me. It's not a copyright strike against me for having this. Okay, that's good. So I upload it. Do all the things that I'm doing. I put it on our blog, tech Talk Radio blog, and you know, I put the nice synopsis, photos, the whole bit, and then I go to share it and I pull up the blog and the blog says video disabled due to copyright claimed by NFL.
Speaker 4: Like what, that's ridiculous.
Speaker 1: The only way you could watch it was to click through on YouTube, and the people aren't going to watch that.
Speaker 3: I want to make it easy for people. And we were laughing.
Speaker 1: About it because remember at the end of last week's show, Sean, did we not all kind of joke around that, Hey, I wonder if you get flagged for that?
Speaker 6: We're just like, oh, I wonder if we're gonna get flagged for that. A little bit of the NFL you can see in the background, right, and I'm curious if it was because Justin didn't even have the audio up.
Speaker 4: No, not that, No, no, no, not at all, of course not no.
Speaker 5: But I mean, I find this ridiculous because people will actually get away with live streaming, uh like UFC fights or or whatever on Twitch, and all they've got to do is sit there and with a controller in their hand like they're a streamer and pretend to be playing the game and they don't. Yeah, and then they're like, no, it's not even a game. Yeah, seriously, they don't even playing. It's an actual real thing. It's a real the real UFC or the real NFL, and all they have to do is sit there in the corner with a controller in their hand, and it confuses the algorithm to think, oh, no, they're just playing a game.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 4: The way I have watched like the last three title fights is I just go on Twitch and search UFC and there's some dude with a controllers sitting there, and he like, I know, some people play games weird, Like, I know, you got the guys who have like the controller like tucked under their chin, and that doesn't make sense to me. That's uncomfortable. But the guy who'll sit there with this controller like sat on his chest to make sure it's in view, and if you watch, his fingers never move once. But he's like, yeah, definitely playing UFC fight night, not watching the title fight at all. And I'm like, well, I appreciate your efforts because now I can watch it and not have to pay money or go to Buffalo Wild Wings.
Speaker 1: Well, I ended up having to go into the blog deleting that post. I deleted everything YouTube, the blog post. I thought, I wanted to be clean. I want our listeners are viewers, followers, to be able to check the video out. So I thought, okay, I'll go in and I had numbers there where you know, where content was flagged. And I went to those numbers and I took a little pastel screen and I just kind of blurred everything right where the TV was, and I did it in both those sections.
Speaker 3: Then I took it.
Speaker 1: I saved it, I re encoded the video, uploaded the video, and it got flagged for another section somewhere in the video. I thought, it's gonna flag me throughout the entire video. So what I ended up doing as I ended up finding a shot like we have right now where it's just the black TV. And I went ahead and and I cropped it. I went into Photoshop, did a special cropping on it, and then put pop that into the video with Justin. And it was tedious because I had to watch the video. There's a couple of shots where there's like a little bright flash you could tell something was there, but that kind of got fixed because we were talking a whole hour of this and every time Justin talked, I had to go in and fix it. But it ended up looking pretty good. I gotta say I patted myself on the back there.
Speaker 4: Oh it's a good job. But I mean it's it's absolutely ridiculous.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm gonna be honestly, I would not be surprised if we don't get flagged today for Sean's Mountain Dew can sitting and frame.
Speaker 3: Oh where is that, Sean? We got to see your mountain doo voo doo. I'm gonna make a big screen now we're gonna get flag.
Speaker 6: It's there zero sugars. So every year Mountain Dew puts out this Halloween flavor. It's a mystery flavor and they kind of like they try to get you to guess and you can potentially win something. This one is definitely tastes exactly like Smarties. Oh my guys, all right, it is so good.
Speaker 1: So if you watch the video and that can has suddenly changed to something else, you know, we got flagged.
Speaker 5: Well, or it could be the MacBook box in the back of my Yeah, I mean that could get flagged.
Speaker 3: Matter of fact.
Speaker 4: That's that's marketing.
Speaker 3: Matter of fact.
Speaker 7: Sean.
Speaker 1: I know we were kind of eyeballing his his MacBook, your new MacBook.
Speaker 3: When did you get this?
Speaker 4: About eight, no nine hours ago?
Speaker 3: So have you even taken it out of the box yet?
Speaker 4: I spent nine hours setting up this. Okay, so backstory of why about the Mac because listeners who know who have listened to us before in any segment I'm on now, I'm not an Apple fanboy. For those who don't know. With my background cybersecurity, I got laid off in July at the very end of July and jump back into the utter dumpster fire that is the job market. And in the two years I've been in my current company, it changes really fast. But in the last two years it changed in ways that my company did not adopt, so I have no background in them. And I looked at all the courses I'm going to be taking over the next three months to try and be employable again, and looked in the best computer for all of those courses combined was a new Mac. So I went and you know, went to best Buy today. My wife and I talked about it, and I bought a new fourteen inch M three pro chipset MacBook Pro nice and the main reason I went with Mac is I'm going to be doing a lot of Linux work in some specific so Linux comes in what are called distros or flavors distributions, and I'm going to be trying to get certified in one that's specifically built for penetration testing, called HALLI Linux, and the Mac. The MacBook Pro was really highly rated for it, whether running it as a native VM for duel booting, or running it as a virtual machine, which is what I decided to do. But I almost called an audible the moment I walked in, I was like, I'm gonna get the Mac. Everybody was busy, so I just kind of did a loop of all the laptops and I saw this new Lenovo Yoga nine and it's the first laptop I've seen where the keyboard is like outside of the Microsoft surface where it's a wireless keyboard comes with it and it's actually two screens like this, Yeah, it folds together. And I was like, I'm also going to do coding classes and that would be really nice. Promptly jumped on one of the computers and was like loading Linux onto this machine and everyone was like, don't there's your solution. Get a Mac, and I was like, well, hell, all right, I guess I'm gonna get the Mac. But with that, the other one that I wanted to bring to your guys's attention, they have finally released an augmented reality laptop.
Speaker 3: Oh you're kidding me.
Speaker 4: It is not come with a screen at all. There is no screen with this thing. It looks like the bottom half of a MacBook Pro.
Speaker 3: And instead of.
Speaker 4: Augmented reality glasses, that's your screen and they're hardwired into it. So instead of like, oh I about a fourteen inch screen, you have glasses that can be a fourteen foot screen if you so decide. But seeing that, as we talked about VR, like one of the last times I was on here, like and I brought up I'm surprised that no one's using that for their display. They're now doing that, and I think that's what we're going to start seeing here in like the next five years, is display screens are going to be a nice feature, a bonus that, oh, if you spend extra one hundred bucks you can get the externally attachable display. Otherwise, pop these glasses on and welcome to the Oasis from Ready Player one. Because everything's going to be done VR now or AR. But it's called this spacetop, the space laptop, it's the Space top.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I kind of I'd like the idea of having the screen even if this is a feature. But I think people are gonna buy that for that feature, right, I mean I can I can't imagine somebody not buying it because they want to completely immerse themselves in this environment like that. But I'd always want to have, Like right now, I have two screens for my laptop and I love it that are available. I would want to have that as kind of like a backup thing.
Speaker 4: It's crazy. I'm actually looking at this right now. So you open it and the case like peels back and folds over and under and normally goes like over, and there's like a little like camel hump where the glasses are, but where it like origami folds over is the webcam and you can actually it's got like little stilts so you can pull it up and down to adjust where it views you.
Speaker 3: So then you've got these ar glasses, this.
Speaker 4: Like little keyboard and a camera that you can like perfectly set and there you go.
Speaker 1: I'm kind of wondering though, Apple Sean, how much was the price on the.
Speaker 3: The the VR from Apple.
Speaker 6: Thirty five hundred bucks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Thirty five hundred bucks.
Speaker 1: Someone, are this is the pricing on something like this? Uh, Matt gonna be similar to that? Would you spend that much money on something like that? Because I know, Sean, you said you wouldn't spend thirty five hundred bucks on the Apple Vision.
Speaker 6: Absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 4: MSRP for the siteful Space Top g One, a screenless laptop that uses augmented reality to create a virtual display as a manufacturer suggested retail price of nineteen hundred dollars not bad. That is cheaper than what I just paid for this MacBook Pro.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: My son sent me specs for an MSI gaming laptop that he's looking at and I saw MSI. He said, I didn't, I've never heard of them. Are they any good? And I'm like, oh, yeah, MSI is good. Yeah, you'll be fine with that. But it was twenty one hundred bucks. But it had a forty seventy in it. I'm thinking, do you really need that? Do you really need that?
Speaker 5: I mean, I got I got my a sus the one that I use for work. You know, my a sus Rock laptop. It's a seventeen inch screen, what is it, thirty seventy TI graphics card, it's a nine processor, sixty four gigs a RAM I want to say that was nineteen hundred bucks total. And that thing can run circles around anything else that's obnestly. I don't think I would buy this, this, this AR one. I mean it's not because of the specs or what it can do. I think it's just gonna I think people would just it would look too weird, and people would just be staring at you and asking questions, and you would never be able to get anything done because it's so new that nobody's ever seen something like that. And I just don't I wouldn't want it. I wouldn't want it because I wouldn't want to be sitting there constantly taking out my glass and going, yeah, it's an AR laptop, leave me alone.
Speaker 4: Please.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine being like a public public bus or even an airplane on a flight, you know, and you whip out the glasses, you put them on, you get the laptop in your lap.
Speaker 3: People can be and what the heck is he doing?
Speaker 6: Yeah? So one of the guys that I played Dungeons and Dragons with does have the air glasses and he connects them to his MacBook and does the dual displays in his glasses and just chills in his room.
Speaker 4: I mean, pro no, he can't.
Speaker 6: There there are glasses that connect via a connection to his laptop that can act as external displays for a MacBook. I'll have to get to God, have to get with him to see what actually the mad model is. But he loves them. I got to check him out not that long ago. And it's weird because you know, it's they don't have diopters in them, so you can't adjust the tier. You kind of have to like move them forward enough to kind of get focused in there. But you can scale the size and all that stuff. It's it's it was pretty neat, but I just don't know if I would do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that would be different.
Speaker 4: I mean they said kind of said the same things when like laptops very first came out, was you know, people sitting there like, oh my gosh.
Speaker 7: Eventually, yeah, it's the CEO of Nvidia actually came out I think it was yesterday and said we are at the forefront of a brand new industrial revolution.
Speaker 4: And I was chatting about this with Lee the other day and I was like, we the original industrial revolution was obviously manufacturing hard labor like things that you know, normally have people their hands on AI, and the things that are coming out now are the in my opinion, the digital equivalency of that same thing, to where so many things that might be repetitive, Oh hey I gotta I gotta script how to do this task so I don't have to do hands on Now you can just be like, hey, chat GPT, we do this all the time, Can you script it for me? And it's like, yeah, sure, got you bro. So I think with with that tagging onto VR ar XR, whatever they're going to brand it as, I think we're seeing kind of turning the corner to the what's going to be next? And it's exciting. It's weird, but it's.
Speaker 1: Kind of funny when you think about it, though, because I think we would have thought of in Nvidia as part of this. You know, well, they make graphics cards, you know, they beg they do this, they do that, and we would never have thought of them as being a big player in this next you know digital you know revolution, and they have been because they put everything into saying AI is going to be here, We're going to support it, We're going to create the products that will be able to handle all of this, you know, artificial intelligence and the needs for this. And those people that bought into the sock with Nvidia that can now they're just graphics card company. Those people that bought in are doing pretty good.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, my friend who bought into that when he was a teenager retired last week.
Speaker 3: Amazing, yeah, yeah, amazing.
Speaker 4: Younger than me, not bitter at all.
Speaker 1: Now, Sean, you had a story that you sent us this week. Have we confirmed this that there's there's kind of a run going on for Intel now?
Speaker 6: So it's it popped up in the trades that Qualcomm had approached Intel to do a friendly takeover. That just means basically that Qualcom would buy out all of the stock from the from the board members at at Intel and then basically shift priorities into Qualkmm that I saw that article yesterday today. I just read that Qualcomm us just laid off a bunch of people. So I had no idea. Oh wow, right, So I mean Intel is in the tank, is in the toilet right now, right, I didn't think.
Speaker 4: They were that bad. Why are they in the toilet?
Speaker 6: So you've not seen all of the issues with the fourteen generation and the thirteen generation chips Yeah, so it's the Intel had this has this major issue with the thirteen the thirteen nine Hunters series, and the early fourteenth gen chipsets that they are basically at the at the transistor level frying themselves.
Speaker 3: Have they come out with the fixed yet?
Speaker 1: I know, I think it was gonna be the They.
Speaker 6: They say that if if your processor is showing symptoms of this problem, it's going to continue to get worse. Right, your processor is just going to continue to basically overheat itself and just fry itself. So then it's just like, well just rm an. Well, they've basically run out of stock. They can't give people what they what they bought, so they're either giving you a newer processor that has the same problem, an older processor that doesn't have the problem, or they're just refunding you and saying good luck. Oh wow, So it's been.
Speaker 4: Whose fault was this an engineer, the designers, It's.
Speaker 6: A problem at Intel, and it just it did got past quality control somehow, and it yeah, it's it's it's been, it's been. Their stock is really really low, like they they are on an absolute decline right now.
Speaker 4: I thought they were just too big to fail, I mean Intel, So.
Speaker 6: Right, so this is this is the big question. Right. You have you have am D, you have Intel, you have Qualcomm, you have a couple of other Chinese chipet manufacturers. Right if Qualcom comes in and says, well, we're gonna buy out Intel, well there's a lot of people that are gonna say that's going to violate some you know whatever the law is anti trust law, right because that's they're going to qual Coms is just going to have this huge share. And you've already seen Qualcomm trying to sneak into the lower end laptop market, so it's smart for Qualcom to try and do that where Qualcomm has just historically been a cell phone chip manufacturer or other you know, onboard integrated circuit manufacturer. So it'll be interesting to see. But I can't see why it doesn't make sense that companies aren't trying to buy Intel and if somebody could absorb them and rebranded or spin it around into whatever, I don't see how that couldn't benefit some company that has enough money to spend on you guys.
Speaker 1: Remember it would have been the nineties when there was a penny issue. The Penny And processors had some kind of issues with them, and they did a fix. They basically replaced many of the processors. I remember going through that. It was, you know, and that's when you had opportunities that you could use Cyrix or you used you know, or AMD. You know, you would use those processors that DLC forty and the X forty and some of those other ones. And Intel had these Penny and processors. But there was a problem and a lot of people thought the same thing back then that that was going to be it, and they ended up coming out of that.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm hoping.
Speaker 1: I am hoping because we've had people from Intel on the show. We still know people that work at Intel. We were kind of hoping maybe they will come out of this. But you know, I don't know. When we got that news about Qualcomm, we thought, well, wait a minute, maybe this situation is a little more bleak than we'd like to There's problems, and I'm hoping they're able to fix them.
Speaker 3: I really am. So here's it. Here's the thing.
Speaker 4: We've discussed this before. We know I'm an AMD fanboy. I've been an AMD fanboy for most of my life, way back when. One of the things that really changed and turned AMD around because they were really lagging behind Intel for a long time. AMD was the very first company between Intel and AMD, they were the first ones to create a dual course CPU. It was the original Athalon X two and the guy who created the Athalon X two actually did what is almost considered antiquated now. He hand laid the architecture for that chip. He didn't have a computer build it anything like that. He hand laid it.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: And the the Rizon chip set, which is really turned AMD around. They basically called him and they were like, hey, buddy, it's been a while, asn't it. Can you please come back. We're really struggling. And he handlaid the original Rizing chips, which they've taken off. They're great, they're great bang for your buck, their big machine. They're beefy things, especially like the thread ripper is just a monster. But when the and this is one of the things that turned me off to Intel was when the Athlon x two was really taking off, Intel called all the manufacturers they called Dell. HP Compact was still around. E Machines was still around. They called them and they were like, hey, so AMD is starting to kick our butts. So they did kind of like a quiet back room deal. They were like, if you do our chip set instead of AMD for your pre built systems, we're going to cut a pretty penny off the cost of your your wholesale purchase. And it ended up getting them and a lot of legal trouble because basically they it was not like an it was not an actual legal deal. It was you know, back room wink wink, nudge, nudge. You know, hey buddy, we're fine, right, And it got them into big trouble with the US federal government. So to see that, you know, their chips are eating themselves alive, Like I'm sitting here like, uh, it couldn't happen to a nicer group of folk, Like that's just hm, that's a shame. I view in terms of like heech in the market, you either have the superior product or you don't, right, and they haven't for a while.
Speaker 6: Well, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I've built systems with the thirteen to nine and I was waiting for a fix from Asus for the motherboard that was in there.
Speaker 3: That was going to supposedly be some.
Speaker 1: Kind of a patch to deal with this, and I haven't seen it yet. I was supposed to get emailed once that was available, and that was a great machine.
Speaker 3: I built my wife's with a twelve nine and it's I love it.
Speaker 1: It's super It's faster than mine, and I think it's great because I've got the eleven.
Speaker 3: Uh, they've made good processes.
Speaker 1: But you know, I think it's kind of like, you know how I've been an Apple guy for so long on my my smartphone. Going to Android was a little scary. It was, it's it's still been a little hesitant. I'm still counting the days down till I can, you know, return it or or I'm buying into it and I'm keeping it going.
Speaker 3: Full force it.
Speaker 1: Every day I find another reason to keep it and to keep going with the Android. I think the Intel users going to AMD it's been the same thing. You're a little a little timid about that. I've been using Intel for so long, you know, why would I want to try? But AMD has really been putting out a great product. The Rise of nine amazing, you know, people have said so many good things about it.
Speaker 3: Kind of think that maybe.
Speaker 1: People if they if they open up their eyes and they give it a shot, they're gonna be happy with it.
Speaker 4: So go with that. I have been living in a new video game, Warhammer forty K Space Marine two. I have been existing in this game, playing the story of Lieutenant Dominus Titus, and that is my happy place right now. This is one of the one of the games where the AI aspect of the game is crucial because you're fighting against an enemy that they're they're called terminids if you've played if you played StarCraft, they're they're the zerg, right, and it's a first person shooter. So you have this massive swarm of bad guys coming at you. And I was actually when I was at fan Expo, I got to actually chat with one of the developers because they were presenting the game there. He was like, yeah, so the main swarm, when you see it like coming towards you, the computer runs it as one AI element, and then as it gets closer, it crosses this delineated line and these individual units start popping out. But it's every individual unit from that rendered swarm, and each unit has its own AI instruction that's popped in it. So I'm playing with my buddy, who's got he's got. I want to say it's about a ten or eleven year old AMD processor, and he was like, my GPU is like five years old and it's fine. For the first time ever in a video game, I am reaching a CPU bottleneck, oh, because of the amount of logic required for this AI. But case in point, what I'm trying to say here is he is running a ten eleven year old AMD CPU. It is still able to play this game. You can't play it on maximum settings, but a ten eleven year old CPU from AMD is still able to do that level of AI logic and routing and control.
Speaker 3: Wow, that is pretty amazing stuff. It really is.
Speaker 1: All right, tell you why we got to take a quick break in Warhammer. I understand Henry cavill Is plays that and is it's like he is a big fan of it.
Speaker 4: We'll jump in that after the bar.
Speaker 3: I'll touch on that.
Speaker 5: I'm Andy Taylor, I'm Sean to Weird, I'm Matt Jones, and I'm justin Lemme find us on the web.
Speaker 4: But tech talk Radio dot com we'll be right back.
Speaker 8: And now fact to tech Talk Radio.
Speaker 4: So right before the break, Andy brought up Henry Cavill and Warhammer forty K. When Henry Cavill was actually doing an interview for The Witcher, one of the questions is like what outside of the Witcher? What what's your nerd thing? Like, what what is your thing? And without skipping a beat, he just goes, oh, Warhammer forty K. And as soon as he says that, the actor who played h Yas here goes, oh, oh you play and he was like, oh yeah, right now, I'm running. I think he was running. It was either Terminids or like Ldar, but he's like, oh yeah, I'm running this right now. And they were like, oh, so you should, and we should, and people paid attention to that because the one downfall, the reason Henry Cavill actually quit The Witcher is because he knows the lore, he knows the stories, he knows everything about it. He is a NERD's nerd. There's a picture of like all these big name actors like Robert Danny Junior, Chris Hemsworth. Well all the Chris is like holding these babies, and then there's Henry Cavill like cradling a thirty eighty ti like it's his child, and he knows the lore so much that he would get so upset with the writers room being like, no, that's not more accurate. No, that's not what GARYL would do that. Eventually he just quit and Amazon came to him and they were like, hey.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 4: This friend of a friend told us that you know Warhammer forty K and we were thinking of making a Warhammer forty K TV show. Would you be interested? And they are making it. It is in progress, they are making the show, but Henry Cavill was like, I will absolutely be involved if I'm the executive producer and I have hiring and firing rights everywhere.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: So he has hiring and firing rights for the writer's room. So if somebody's like, I think we should tell our own unique story that doesn't have anything to do with the lore, he is gonna punt that person out of like an eight floor window and then go hire someone else. So when you say like Henry Cavo is like big into Warhammer forty K, he's still today posting on his Instagram, like his stats, playing Space Marine two, like getting a star, like playing the multiplayer component with everyone. It's it's wild I hope to end up with a lobby with him one day.
Speaker 3: That is awesome.
Speaker 6: Over the summer, my wife's cousin brought the tabletop version of Warhammer forty k oh to our family gathering, all right, So I spent three nights, three hour three separate nights, three hour sessions doing the the Killed Team space ORCS First Veterans. It was amazing. I'm gonna get the pictures and I'm gonna send the men put on the blog. But he has the whole setup, he's got the starter kit, he paints his own minis. It was incredible. I almost bought it when I went to gen Con this in at the end of August, but I would have spent way too much money, so I didn't. But there is a tabletop version of Warhammer that is incredible, so I will just leave it.
Speaker 5: At that island Warhammer, the tabletop one where you have to like paint all your miniatures, and you paint the miniatures.
Speaker 6: And then it's it's a specific version called Kill Team, which is different than like the campaign settings. This is more like a skirmish where you just fight each other for an objective. But yes, it is a tabletop version where you have measurements, if you have a ruler and you're doing it's it was incredible.
Speaker 1: Now if I've never heard I've never played this before, would I be able to get into it?
Speaker 3: You think? Or is this seasoned gamers?
Speaker 4: If I might jump on this one. So there are now three different settings where you can play Warhammer forty K. One Sean is talking about with kill teams. Traditionally, your miniatures in the campaign setting, each miniature represents like a squad of guys. In kill teams, think of it like special ops. Each mini represents one character with specialized versions. It is the easiest way to get into the game. Then they with the new release that they dropped six nine months ago. I think I'm guessing they dropped a new thing called Combat Patrol, which is kind of in between the two. And then you have traditional Warhammer forty K, which is just massive armies, and the army is decided by point value. So each unit that you have, like a little guy is worth x amount of points, mech is worth x amount of points. A thunder Hawk gunship is worth a mass amount of points. It's amazing. It is not an easy thing to jump into by yourself, but if you go to pretty much any local game shop, they'll have a Warhammer night and any Warhammer nerd except for like you know, the Frankly, the basement dwellers. They're they're gonna be there, willing to bring you in and teach you. It's it is awesome, it is amazing. It is complicated. But Sean, when you said Orc's Verse veterans, do you do you know what army the veterans were?
Speaker 6: By any chance, I don't remember, but they were. There was a bunch of snipers and uh oh I just I got I got to murder them with.
Speaker 4: They were Tao. Oh, that's if it's a bunch of snipers there, Tao, And that's disgusting. I'm so sorry your intro was Tao.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 4: So for for Warhammer forty K, you've got all these and I'm sorry. I I can nerd about nerd out about this for the whole show. So I'll do this and then I'll be quiet. But like you have three different main actions like over arking factions. For Warhammer forty K, you had the Imperium of man.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: You have the Zenos, which are aliens, and that's like the Orcs, the Taou, the Eldar, the al Dari. Then you have the forces of chaos which are corrupted in perium of man Sean. Orcs are amazing. I'm so glad you got to experience that, my wife.
Speaker 6: It was, it was, it was. It was the Orc commandos and the Veteran Guardsmen. So I played both sides. I prefer the I prefer that I prefer the Orcs because that's like my play style, Like Big and Beefy get in there and just messed uf up. And their names are hilarious, like yeah, slice a Boy and rocket Boy, and I mean they're there. It's fantastic.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 6: It was so fantastic.
Speaker 4: Gonna bro. When you're talking about the Veteran Guardsman, that's the Astra Militarum, which is these are regular old humans equipped with like a laser, uh they call a las gun and it will blow like a meter sized hole in a wall with one shot. Like in today's military. It would be the end all, be all weapon. It is jokingly referred to in Warhammer forty k as the flashlight. It is the weakest weapon out there. The Astra Militarum subtle fights just based on cure overwhelming firepower and like sundering amounts of artillery an astro miilitarum artillery brage will crack the mantle of a planet.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 4: Orcs are ridiculous because they make things work solely by believing it. Like they're like, this will fly because we think it should fly, and the world is just like, yeah, sure, why not?
Speaker 1: Okay, some great stuff there about Warhammer. Are gonna have to definitely check that out. And one of the cool things about it, you know, we can talk about a little of everything, video games, consoles, TVs, the whole bit, but when it gets down to it, we're dealing with the same stuff that you may be dealing with. And Sean, I know that you did something that you didn't think you were going to be doing. You finally took a step. I'm gonna tell us about that.
Speaker 6: So we've talked about it. And I finally was getting so frush from my computer. To start, I was losing USB drivers, like I had issues last last week when we were recording the show, and this morning I did. I had the day off of work because I've been working like crazy, and I just said, you know what, it's time to wipe my machine. It's time to get it back to bone bone drive to get it done.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 6: So I downloaded the Media Creation tool. I made a USB for Windows eleven Pro because that's the version of Windows I have is I have Windows ten Pro, which those license copy over to Windows eleven. And then I plugged it in. I booted from the USB drive and said, this computer does not support what it's leven And I was like, that doesn't make sense. It's not that old of a motherboards. It's a rise in thirty seven hundred, Like I should have enough, right, So then I did some googling. So with with this motherboard, specifically, you can boot into the older bios mode right, or you can boot into the uef I mode right, So that had to be enabled. Well, once that was enabled, I was like, I'm ready, I'm golden right. No, still said not support it. So then I had to go in and there I had to go in and I had to Google. I had to google. You guys know my Google food is really good, right?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah.
Speaker 6: It took me a few hours to find the right article to find the one the one buried setting and I don't even remember what it is right now, I have a screen shot up on my phone because I was just searching for it and it was a weird ft PM setting on this. On this I have an asues Gigabyte Asus Elite Wi Fi motherboard.
Speaker 3: I think it's PTT is it or something like that.
Speaker 6: I don't know, but I found it and once I turned that on, I had zero issues getting it in there. Then I spent the majority of the day just getting Windows eleven. Then you don't realize how many things you actually have to reinstall when you go to a new version of Oh my, it was like I wrote a list of all the applications that I consistently used on my computer before I wiped it, and then it was like thirty things. So then I'm just going through the list. Okay, I got Chrome, I got Firefox, I've got I just went through this huge list and it's like, oh my god, there's so many things that I had to do. And then then things were Then I had to do USB driver updates because I was having issues with my headset not working, but the headset worked with the MIC wouldn't work, and I was having weird issues with my A ten Mini not being read by the USB. And then my stream deck wouldn't work with USBs, and then I did a Windows update and then it worked. So the summary of my today is that it is not easy even for somebody who is I feel like I'm pretty technologically savvy, to just do have a basic Windows with eleven upgrade, do a clean version of Windows. I feel like a lot of people that don't have patients with technology would have just given up and gone up by a new computer.
Speaker 3: Right exactly. Oh my god.
Speaker 4: There there's a great tool I've discovered over the years if you're if you're doing something like this, or it's like I got to reinstall Rome and Steam and Spotify and discord that It's called nine Night and I N I T E. And you can just go in and like go down the checkbox of like I want all of these things, and it pumps out a custom installer and you run the ex and it goes through and just like default values for everything. So you can't do any customized installs. But if you're running like one hard drive and just trying to get a machine up, it will go and install all those things for you. It'll do the download, do the install, and then at the end it's like all right, I'm done. Now you get to go spend forty five minutes signing into everything, have a great day.
Speaker 6: Well that was the other thing too. It's like I had to remember, Okay, now I have to due authentic and everything. I'm my Google email is getting pained every two seconds because I have to do authenticate this app on Google, this app on Google. Now my work VPN needs to do a dual authenticate through Octa. Now my one pass room. Now I have to go. Oh did I save my want my PDF for my master password? Sure?
Speaker 2: Did?
Speaker 6: Thank god, because if I would have done that, I wouldn't have been obt. He's one passing my computer anymore.
Speaker 3: I'm having the same thing going through the.
Speaker 1: New Pixel nine having to re installed basically it's like reinstalling, having to go to the apps can figure everything. Okay, that one works, that one works. That's been a pain in the neck. So but you finally do that. You had to do that as well, right, justin even you were going from pixel to a pixel, you still have to do it right.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, I mean it's obviously it's a backup. I mean I just restore the backup, but I still have to log into everything. And reauthenticate everything. So yeah, that was the problem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you got Windows eleven installed correctly, Sean, and you're good to go.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so it's I think it's great if it seems to run really well. And again, I spent the after I installed a lot of the apps. I spent the majority of the day just customized things, getting where I wanted to and googling how to get rid of all of the ads that are on this Windows eleven right, so getting it out of my start bar, getting it out of my search window, getting it out of everything on Windows eleven has ads in it now. But there are ways to go in into the registry and make some small changes so it doesn't serve you ads. You can actually disable copilot, which I did immediately.
Speaker 4: Where do you see the ads?
Speaker 5: Because I'm being I run Windows eleven three different places and I don't see any ads anywhere.
Speaker 6: So I would click the Windows button and I would get served like recommended apps that I don't have installed. If you click the search bar, it would serve you sports scores, weather, recent weather highlights like the whole sidebar thing.
Speaker 4: Those aren't those aren't ads?
Speaker 6: Okay, information that I don't care about. How about that's all right if it's not ads, sure, it's it's information that I don't care about. I don't want to see it in my search pro when I'm trying to search for a file on my desktop.
Speaker 3: But it's wants to learn about you by what you click on. That's what it's going to do.
Speaker 6: It's also true, but I just want a clean operating system.
Speaker 4: Then you're going to want to do Linux because you're never going to get that with Windows.
Speaker 6: I understand that. I'm just that's I can dream.
Speaker 3: All right, We got to take another quick break. We come back. Justin has a question.
Speaker 1: He's going to tell us about a new website as well, and we've got a couple of illiciter questions as well. Hopefully we can get to I'm Andy Taylor.
Speaker 5: I'm Sean de Weird, I'm Matt Jones, and I'm Justin. Let me send us an X at tech talk Radio.
Speaker 8: We'll be right back and now back to tech talk Radio.
Speaker 5: So recently, you know, I told you guys, I I DJ at a wedding by DJ at a festival, and you know, kind of wanted to get back into doing more of that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: You've been having fun with it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I've been having fun with it. But you know, nobody really knows that I do this kind of stuff. So I wanted to get some business cards that I could hand out. But then as I'm designing the business cards, I realize I don't have a website, I don't have a professional email address, I don't have any of that stuff because I just I don't know, I just.
Speaker 4: I just never really thought about it.
Speaker 5: But I'm not going to design a business card and put you know, my personal Gmail address on it, you know, and then nothing that people can be able to understand. So so, yeah, I bought a website nice and I put it in chat there. I used wish Wix to design it. You know, the thing about Squarespace and and wis, you know, they tout that it's, you know, super easy to design a website. It's it's clicking drag and your website's up running in minutes.
Speaker 4: It's not true. It's not true.
Speaker 5: There is so much that goes into building a website. Yeah, granted I don't have to do any of the code, but all of the every single page you've got to you've got to talk about all the different elements that you want to put in there. There's you know, click click to learn more. Where does this learn more take you? Well, you got to tell it where to take you. And then you know, you got to do all the SEO. You got to sign up for Google, you got to get your page, all your meta tags.
Speaker 3: Does it let you do jetpack? Jet pack? Have you seen that yet?
Speaker 4: I don't. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Jet Pack is a really cool tool for for doing a lot of that stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, I've never heard of that. But I mean to take take a look at my website. I put it in the chat there, but I I designed it real quick, put it up there. There's there's still a ton of work to do on it because it's not the way I like it. But at least now I have a website. I bought it for three years. I have the email, I have the domain, I have the website. So yeah, this should, you know, hopefully help out a little bit. But again I'm just my point being this whole thing is, you know, all these create a website in minutes.
Speaker 4: No that's not true.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, it does take a little more time than that, you know, And honestly, justin there's been so many people that.
Speaker 3: I know that have said, we don't need a website.
Speaker 1: We're gonna do it on Facebook, We're gonna do it on Instagram.
Speaker 3: And those are great resources.
Speaker 1: But I still believe the professionalism is extended when you have social media, but you have a website that people can look at and an email address that people can look at. Now, the only thing I see, and this is from somebody who's designed and bought domains and the whole bit is your your I like your site. I looked at it, but the name can be difficult in translation only if you tell somebody, but if you're giving it to them on a card or something like that, they're gonna see one.
Speaker 3: Means one, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So again that's that's that's a good idea. But no, I do believe people still need to have websites, and people have kind of wicks.
Speaker 3: I don't know about wicks. I know Barry you Wis for his website, which you know, I still I own. I have the domain for that one.
Speaker 1: The I honestly like WordPress and divvy uh divvy is is pretty good. Again, you still need to learn and know a certain amount of word press terms and whatnot, But.
Speaker 3: Divvy is really great.
Speaker 1: If somebody is looking you go to element I think it's Elemental Themes or element Themes that you can find out or just do a Google search for Divvy. They have so many templates up there that if you're new or you know you're looking for somebody you want to tell a web developer, hey, build a site using this. Uh, they can do it. And again it's not too bad. But are you having fun with it? That's the main thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I'm having fun looking at it, figuring this out. I mean I've never really designed a website before. Well, no, I should take that back. I mean it's yeah, it's been like twenty some years. But this is interesting the way they do make it a little bit easier to get the basis of it, but you really do have to dive in into the deep details of everything. And so I find myself clicking through the pages and checking every single word, checking every single link, making sure that it actually goes to where I want it to go. But again, it is about that professionalism to be able to have that, because I think you know it. Actually it doesn't really matter what industry you're in, but if you're trying to promote yourself as a legitimate vendor of a product or or a service. And you're just going to give them a Gmail account as your email with no website for them to go look at. It just screams, you know, amateur to me. You know, So even just to have something basic where it's just hey, here's my website and my card, you know that I'm going to give out. It's a very simple card. It's got my logo on the back, it's got the website.
Speaker 3: Especially if you.
Speaker 1: Think about it, justin you're in a situation where, okay, let's face it, somebody wants to book an event like a wedding.
Speaker 3: They're going to tie you up for a weekend. So you're gonna want a deposit.
Speaker 1: If you're gonna be leaving a deposit with somebody, you want to make sure they're a legitimate company and they've been doing things. One other thing I think would be great on your website is some video. You know, maybe have have a mesa come out when you're doing a gig and just shoot some video.
Speaker 3: Or if you have video friends that are.
Speaker 1: Up there, I'm sure you do from the TV days, have them come shoot the video of you working. There's a guy in California that I used to work with and sadly he passed away some months ago. Bob Stock, it's great DJ. And it was funny because one of the girls I worked with at the station here in Tucson moved to San Diego when her daughter got married.
Speaker 3: That's who they hired.
Speaker 1: She said, Oh, yeah, I know this this guy who's djaying said he knows you know you and Barry and that whole bit, and it was like, so cool. But Bob has put put a bunch of videos of him, not even DJing, just him standing there in a suit and the camera going around him, and you see that personality because that's what they want hire so.
Speaker 4: Great want to do.
Speaker 5: That's another thing I want to do too, is I want to be able to, like, I'm just think about even just doing like an interview with myself where I just I want to, like, I want to tell people my side of the story when it comes to why you should hire me to do your wedding or your you know whatever event. Because DJs are dim a dozen, Yeah, what makes me?
Speaker 4: What makes me different?
Speaker 3: What makes you stand out?
Speaker 5: I want to be able to put that video on my website and say this is why you should hire me over blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: All right, now you had another issue too.
Speaker 1: This was actually a question about a problem you're running into, or if somebody else was running into.
Speaker 5: No, I mean I'm running into it honestly at work. This is the third laptop. These are Dell laptops, relatively new. I mean I think they're not like the most current gen. They're not brand new from Dell. We do usually buy these things from a refurbished website, but they're very legitimate. They've done great work for us all the time, and they're all running Windows eleven Pro. And the third laptop, all of a sudden, just it's like Wi Fi doesn't even exist on the laptop anymore.
Speaker 4: Like it doesn't it doesn't exist.
Speaker 5: Like you click on the network settings where it you know, brings up Bluetooth and and you know, accessibility, night light, all that stuff.
Speaker 4: Wi Fi just not even there. Just nothing, like it's not even there.
Speaker 3: Have you gone into the bios to see if it's enabled.
Speaker 5: Bios bios it's enabled, and and and you can see it in the device manager. You can see why Wi Fi You can even go into the network connections, which is, you know, the old Windows network connections, which they make it almost impossible to find on Windows eleven. But if you get there, you can see Wi Fi disabled. When you try to enable it, it just disables itself again. And there's no reason. There's I don't understand anything. There's no errors, there's nothing going on. Wi Fi used to work on the computer. It's got to be a Windows bug of some sort. I don't have We've googled it. We can't find anything.
Speaker 3: Has the laptop been opened recently for any reason, like, you know.
Speaker 1: Taking the back off of it to access a battery replacement?
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no, no, Because the.
Speaker 1: Wi Fi cards in these laptops, you know, sometimes they'll put it at the top of the bezel.
Speaker 3: Other times they'll put it, you know, on the bottom.
Speaker 4: Of the antenna.
Speaker 1: Usually it's yeah, it's two small little connectors and sometimes those connectors can fall off.
Speaker 7: Then.
Speaker 4: But see the thing, no, it was. The thing is it's listed in device manager.
Speaker 3: It's there.
Speaker 5: It shows it in device manager, okay, and it shows it in the network connections, but it says it's disabled and you try to re enable it, it just disables itself again. Have you everything, we googled, it comes up with nothing like It's just it's so weird.
Speaker 3: Any any thoughts on this one, Sean or Matt, because you know.
Speaker 4: I mean if if it's in device Manager, the only the only thought I could have is is kind of where you were walking towards You'd be like, maybe the card is in I got bumped or something and it's not quite fully seated. It's seated just enough to be seen on Device Manager. But no, that that is that is absolutely bizarre. But there's three laptops that have done this.
Speaker 6: So are these laptops. Do they have the the the M two wireless like the M two wireless ship Cynema that are replaceable.
Speaker 4: That's a good question.
Speaker 5: I don't know they're there. They make there their higher end Dell laptops, the Precision line because the.
Speaker 6: Newer laptops have have seen a trend in the newer laptops going with the M two slot wireless cards instead of like the PCI cards or the on board on board just because they get better performance with Wi Fi six and stuff like that too.
Speaker 5: Oh that's an idea saying that something give me got jostled loose on the motherboard.
Speaker 3: Could be yeah, could be.
Speaker 4: They've they've they started making the change. The original m DOT two slot was just for storage SSD and then eventually and VM storage, and then they were like, wait a minute, the through put on these ports is ridict Why don't we start using it for other things? Kind of you know, the way USB happened way back in the day. But that that truly is bizarre. And the fact if it's one, okay, so somebody dropped it and didn't say anything or something like that. But if it's if it's three four laptops, that that's it feels. It feels like a Windows issue. But and they're all Dell. They're all Dell laptops.
Speaker 3: You know. It's funny.
Speaker 1: I opened up a tower system once and they had M two They were used for their drives. They couldn't find the screw so they couldn't tighten it down, so it was it was in, but it was kind of like you know, like like as ready to catapult.
Speaker 6: So most we ran into this one we built. We ran into this issue when we built my nephew's computer and then one of my friend's computers. Drives. They most motherboards don't come with an M two socket screw on the motherboard, and most drives don't come with one, so unless you have one lane round, you're kinda up the creek when you put an M two drive in.
Speaker 3: So the way I fixed cars, stay a part off somewhere else. All right, Junkyard, we gotta take another quick break. We come back.
Speaker 1: We'll see if we can maybe future research that and see what you come up with on that. But we'll be back with more of tech Talk Radio.
Speaker 5: I'm Andy Taylor, I'm Sean de Weird, I'm Matt Jones, and I'm justin. Let me find us on Facebook, Facebook, dot com, forward slash tech Talkers.
Speaker 4: We'll be right.
Speaker 8: Back and now back to tech talk Radio.
Speaker 4: Hey, this is Harold Parano and you listen to the geeks on the radio tech Talk Radio.
Speaker 6: So in an earlier segment we talked about me putting Windows eleven on my computer and reinstalling all the apps and programs that I had, and thanks to Matt for mentioning nine Night and I n Ite, I was able to download and install Audacity, Dropbox, ever, Note, file Zilla, Gimp, Google Drive, Handbrake, metmore bites, Note plus plus, Open Open Off. It's real V and C Steam, VLC win AMP when Sep is.
Speaker 4: Seven, somebody's got a good Internet connection.
Speaker 6: And I just hit download it, downloaded them all and installed them all in a matter. I mean I did it during the show. I did it between when when I mentioned it in the show and now and installed and I'm now configuring my melor bites. And it was awesome, Like it just worked.
Speaker 1: You know the question that listeners would ask us right now, is it safe? Be honest, like that scene in Marathon Man, is it safe?
Speaker 3: It is safe?
Speaker 8: I have.
Speaker 4: I been using it in my IT career since like the very start of my IT career back in well, my enterprise Atteker in like twenty twelve, I started using it. Where Sean is actually using the free personal version. You can actually buy nine Night Enterprise and use that same thing and the options to come with that. It's like, okay, you can set it to a media that you hand around, you can do network installs, you can look at all the computers that are on it and manage updates everything like that. Like it is the question of is it safe? It is safe, and it's awesome. I've been using it for fourteen years at this point.
Speaker 6: Now they have very easy Yeah, yes, n Night dot com. But it was very easy. I just went to it, clicked to the programs I wanted, hit download. It gave me a download file. I clicked on it and it said installing. It just went through the list.
Speaker 3: So it just bulks installs them and then it tells you when you're done.
Speaker 6: I mean it took it took a matter of less than ten minutes.
Speaker 4: It's awesome. And the big part of that is the installer that it provides you is customized to the options you chose on the site. So choosing those like fifteen programs that Seawan listed off, they all come in that custom downloader. If you chose thirteen of them, you get the custom downloader.
Speaker 3: It's great stuff. Man.
Speaker 1: We still have a lot more to talk about for this week, but we'll hold it for next week. If you have a question or comment to us, drop us an email. Tech guys at tech talk radio dot com met a couple of people that called into the afternoon radios this week and actually said, hey, I'm listening, so thank you and tell your friends.
Speaker 3: About the show as well. I'm Andy Taylor, I'm Sean de Weird.
Speaker 4: I'm Matt Jones glad to be back and I'm justin. Let me thank you all for listening and have yourselves great week. We'll see you next time.