Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. You know, the fact of the matter is Kansas City doesn't turn it on unless they have to. They didn't have to turn it out the entire regular season, so what looked like a mediocre season, Oh, they just skimmed by by the hair of their chin. Not really the case. They just decided to turn it on and they do. And that's what happened last night. And Patrick mahomes great quarterback, even better runner perhaps. I think he had his only lovable moment for me when he tried to spike the ball and looked like a complete child. I think that was the only time when I liked him a little bit. I mean, you've got to respect his talent and his gift, but it's hard to like somebody who breaks your heart repeatedly. As a fan.
Speaker 2: My wife was reading a book while the game was on, and every once in a while.
Speaker 3: I go, oh ah, oh like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because the Bills would do something, they would let or they'd convert. How many fourth downs did they convert on that last year? I mean, just a lot of fourth.
Speaker 1: Down conversions yesterday, but with both games.
Speaker 2: If that's the case, if the refs are and I'm not on that team, I'm not. I don't believe the refs are that the NFL is for some reason in conjunction with the Chiefs and they want to promote that.
Speaker 1: It just.
Speaker 2: How could you spot a ball on fourth down like that at.
Speaker 1: This spot was ridiculous?
Speaker 3: But us to the contested catch that hit the ground.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you were watching Week three Jaguars freaking I don't know, Jaguars, Miami or whatever, and you are hyper focused on the calls, you would find the same things.
Speaker 3: True.
Speaker 1: It's just the nature. There's holding on every play, it's just when they decide to call it. There's interference most plays. Travis Kelsey does get away with a bunch of stuff. The cameras don't even pick up, let alone the refs. But that's not ever really the race is unless it's one agregious call at the end of the game kind of a thing or non call like the Saints game a couple of years ago that I'm thinking about that non PI call, things like that, but it's never really the outcome. But yeah, the idea that the NFL wants the Chiefs to win at this juncture is silly. Why would the NFL root for a mid market team to win.
Speaker 3: To win three in a row? I mean, if they and they complete the three pete.
Speaker 1: The whole three peat thing is the reason why this will be an attended super Bowl because people want a piece of history if they do intent if they do three peat. Has there been a team that's gone three times and lost the third time?
Speaker 3: I don't think so.
Speaker 2: They're showing the statistic yesterday that this would be the first time.
Speaker 1: A team has gone three times.
Speaker 2: A two time super Bowl winner has gone back to the show.
Speaker 1: I think they usually crap out.
Speaker 2: They most of them, I should say, don't even make it to the playoffs after two straight Super Bowls. Yeah so, I mean ninety of America is probably Philly fans today and will be.
Speaker 1: I know I and I hated watching Philadelphia win just because I know it's been a handful of years since I won, what twenty eighteen something like that, But you know, they've been there, They've done that. I would have liked the Cinderella story for Jaden Daniels, and I know that that was not plausible, but I still like it, the idea and the redemption of Josh Allen. The thing is the Chiefs they you knew it from go to you knew it from kickoff. This is all unfake. They're unfazed and Josh Allen the Bills coming out kind of yippie, right, they got a case of the yips and their nerves and it was obvious. And it's just coaching, coaching, coaching as well. I mean, the Bills are wonderfully coached, but the Chiefs just they are completely unfazed.
Speaker 3: Sorry, are you going to come to Super Bowl?
Speaker 1: I am going to come to your super Bowl party? I wrote back.
Speaker 2: He's be in Arizona that weekend, though, are you going to be with you?
Speaker 1: I get back going to see the Savannah bananas, and I come back the morning of Super Bowl and I'm flying back into Bourbank. So just go straight to your house.
Speaker 3: That's good. Yeah, I'll get there a little early.
Speaker 1: I'll be there about six forty five am, so I'll bring the cinnamon rolls.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll just hit the just hit the caraffe and brew on the coffee maker.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll have it set up the night before and.
Speaker 1: Just I will stay quiet, I will, I'll tiptoe in. I'll take the dog for a while.
Speaker 3: That would be great.
Speaker 1: So Friday, remember I said that I was toying with the idea of asking my husband to go to a movie because I wanted popcorn.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't know, you can get it in other places, I know, But.
Speaker 1: Anyway, so I am looking at the movies and I'd seen that Flight Risk trailer Mark Wahlberg, directed by Mel Gibson. It's a flight.
Speaker 3: Movie, El Gibson.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, it's a flight movie. Have you ever seen a bad flight movie? No, They're all freaking great. The tense atmosphere of flying around in a handle arrist Yes, it was. I thought. I was sitting there within ninety seconds of that movie starting thinking I was punked, Like is that show still on? Like where are the people that are going to jump out from the darkness with their cameras and be like, gotcha, it's not a real movie. It was that bad. It was awful. I mean we were laughing because it was so bad. From start to finish, it was awful. Mark Wahlberg, I mean, he plays this like madman, but the acting was atrocious. The dialogue was even worse. I mean, somebody joked that O AI wrote that, you know, mel Gibson is getting the credit for an AI written script, and I'm thinking AI wouldn't f this up that badly, even because, like I said to my husband, this was like a seventh grader who had an idea for a movie and wrote the script.
Speaker 2: I also saw a movie on Friday Night that I cannot tell you to avoid more.
Speaker 1: Really more than Flight Risk.
Speaker 2: Well maybe not that much, but a complete unknown Timothy Shalames Bob Dylan.
Speaker 1: It didn't speak to me, what a okay.
Speaker 3: Some of the performances are ridiculous.
Speaker 2: He does a great impression of Bob Dylan's singing and he's playing guitar the whole time. So I mean the guy's talented, clearly, in terms of acting, I don't know if he gets an acting nomination, an Oscar nomination for this. And in general, Bob Dylan comes off really poorly. That's Bob Dylan, I mean, by by far. I thought the better acting performance was Ed Norton, who played Pete Seeger.
Speaker 3: Bob much more.
Speaker 1: Likable Bob Dylan to me, and I get it. It was a different It was before my time. But that angsty vibe, and I don't like it. I've never liked that angsty vibe. Woe is me, it's the man against me, it's the man against everybody, that whole vibe. And I get it was Vietnam era and it was different, And I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I know enough to know that that kind of personality type has never been something that I want to sit in and enjoy. Not just it just I just don't. It just doesn't make me feel good.
Speaker 2: Uh. The grapevine is closed because of ice and snow. That was the one of the remnants of what we've seen last couple of days worth of very much needed rain. Parts of La County still under a floodwatch until about four o'clock today. Most of those the burn areas. We'll talk about that. We'll also talk about cabinet selections. There are a bunch of them. We did see Pete Hegseth sworn in as a Secretary of Defense over the weekend.
Speaker 1: Have a big deal on Wall Street today. Stocks are tanking. Why because China has figured out how to do AI much cheaper and ps not using any American stuff. It is a massive deal. We'll get into that as well.
Speaker 2: Also our talk back today, what questions would you ask your kid's new boyfriend slash girlfriend. There's a dad who had his daughter fill out a twenty question questionnaire about her new boyfriend, and some of them are pretty crazy, like some questions that are a little bit too intimate.
Speaker 1: I have friends now that have the kids are like, you know, ten to fourteen ish girls, and I am so terrified, Like I'm terrified for them. I mean, sometimes the terrifying moments last like ninety seconds because you realize what you're terrified about has already happened, but you just didn't even know it. Oh my gosh, y my god, I'm having one of those resurgences of God.
Speaker 3: Good morning, Gary and Shannon.
Speaker 2: This is a legit question.
Speaker 1: The player, I'm the chief. I think his name might be Jones.
Speaker 3: Yes, he was.
Speaker 1: Crying from the get go, from the national anthem and all the way through, whether they were behind, whether they were ahead.
Speaker 3: Can you please explain what his deal is?
Speaker 1: Chris Jones really.
Speaker 3: Awkward and uncomfortable. Every time they showed him he was crying.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, first of all, the man who sang the national anthem is the best in the league. We've seen him like three times this season. One of the times was in Kansas City. His voice will move you to tears. He does the best job I've ever heard, hands down. In fact, Money and DJ and I were texting last night like, Oh, it's our guy, it's the guy, like because he is incredible the way he delivers that song. I mean a lot of people are crying after they hear him sing the national anthem. Second of all, Chris Jones is arguably the best defensive tackle in the National Football League.
Speaker 3: I listen, I loved it.
Speaker 2: I love it when someone this is a giant human being. I mean, he's caught in that moment of whatever whatever that means to him, right. And I don't know if it's that he has family members that served in the military.
Speaker 3: I don't know if he's just I love this country.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it's like, hey, in other parts of the world, I would never have the lifestyle that I have because of my physical prowess.
Speaker 3: Whatever it is, get it.
Speaker 2: And the fact that he now, I mean, at the end of the game, was also crying because because he's now going to the Super Bowl, right, I mean.
Speaker 1: It shows how much that means, despite the fact that he's already won a handful of those, just an outstanding, outstanding person, outstanding player there. So I like to see passion and I like to see it not be something that's just a given. You know. Sometimes they can come off like, oh, it's just a given. Of course we're back, and the idea that I mean, I agree with you. There's no reason for the NFL to rig this sort of thing. It would take way too many moving parts. You thought the jfk assassination was a come on. The viewership is not gonna be I mean, it'll be big because football is big no matter who's playing. Everyone's gonna watch it. But you're gonna hate watch it pretty much.
Speaker 3: All right. So La saw, Yes, we just saw this super Bowl.
Speaker 1: We saw the Super Bowl three years ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it wasn't that long ago.
Speaker 2: We've done this before, right, La saw a couple of days of rain, which is good. Snow and ice is shut down the I five through the Grapevine. We are seeing a couple of places that have been closed because of mud slides that were triggered by this rain really wasn't as as powerful as it could have been In terms of the amount of rain, and thank goodness, it was spaced out over a couple of days. But right now I five, like I said, is closed over the Grapevine and will remain so. According to SHP, they don't have any estimate for opening a couple of places that you will see potential thunderstorms over the next couple of hours before all of this moves out. All schools in the Malibu area closed today because of the risk posed by the road conditions after the heavy rain of the Palisades fire burn scar and County of La Public Health is looking out for your safety and is issued a statement to say that there is an ocean water quality rain advisory for all of the La Beaches in effect until Thursday eight am. I realized something this weekend. We got our dog in June end of June. This is the first rain that my dog has ever experienced.
Speaker 1: And how did it go over?
Speaker 3: He did great. It didn't bother him at all.
Speaker 2: I mean, he would walk outside and it wasn't as if he was afraid of it or anything, but it was he didn't realize how wet he could get just by standing out there for a few minutes, and he had to dry him off every time he came back in.
Speaker 1: Do you remember your first rain?
Speaker 3: I don't do not.
Speaker 2: I also don't think I was able to walk out and pee in the bushes like he is, So it would have been a very.
Speaker 1: You could totally pee in the bushes at your place. You own your house, You are the man of the house. If you want to pee in your bushes, you walk right out that sliding door and you just let it go.
Speaker 3: I go to the right or the left.
Speaker 2: I'd go to the left, well, but the left there's the big windows that look out over that side yard, and I don't know, there wouldn't be a lot of privacy if.
Speaker 1: You go right on the corner of the house.
Speaker 2: There farther oh between the windows. Yeah, so sudden, I just I disappear for a good thirty seconds and then come back.
Speaker 1: You don't want to be bothered. I don't want people watching you.
Speaker 2: The process of going all the way outside, though, is it. I would just go into the bathroom.
Speaker 1: Or or don't say no right away, you just open the slider and you just pee right on the pavement.
Speaker 3: There is a drain, there is a little French.
Speaker 1: Damn. Right, there's a slope there for a reason there certainly is scary, and Shannon will continue, We've got Pete Haig Seth News. Eh, you wake up this morning? You said I want some Pete Haig Seth News. Did you not?
Speaker 3: Don't worry.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of fun stuff coming on this show today. Meat sticks. There's going to be a meat stick situation. There's going to be a crack hot pickle situation.
Speaker 3: And oh there he is.
Speaker 1: Didn't sound right, crack hot pickle, the.
Speaker 3: Pickle crack, pickle crack? Is that what? It's a hot sauce?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I got that.
Speaker 2: Also, what questions would you ask your son or daughter's new bow?
Speaker 1: Excuse me? Is this like right off the gate?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: For it like that you open the door in your boxers and you say, for example.
Speaker 2: Yes, first question that this guy asked his daughter about her new boyfriend is asking the daughter, not the boyfriend.
Speaker 3: Correct, God, But I think she'd have to do some research.
Speaker 2: You'd probably have Number one, what are important personal stories that shaped who.
Speaker 3: He is today?
Speaker 1: This is like a college essay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's too broad.
Speaker 3: Let us know what questions you would ask your kids.
Speaker 1: I gotta go more granular, like h you know, how many times do you do you wash your underwear? Something you would ask that of your kids, something a little bit more specific than personal experiences, like it's an essay.
Speaker 2: Well, it also seems like you could ask that question of the of the new boyfriend.
Speaker 1: I not have that joy yourself coming up, But later in the show. We talked about it for a bit on Friday about Trump's decision to unredact what he can unredact from the assassination files. When it comes to JFK, RFK and MLK Junior. We'll be talking about this with the author of case closed, Lee Harvey Oswald, and the assassination of JFK coming up later. Like I said, this is a treat. It'll be a lot of fun because JFK, despite the assassination happening in nineteen sixty three, still a lot of questions and the conspiracy theories continue to abound.
Speaker 2: President Trump used his very big hammer, or at least the threat of it, to claim a victory in a showdown with Columbia over accepting flights of deported migrants from the US. The Colombian officials did yesterday agree to accept flights of deported people from the United States Trump had threatened steep tariffs on imports and other sanctions on Columbia. He had ordered visa restrictions twenty five percent tariffs on all Colombian incoming goods, which would be raised to fifty percent within a week. Other retaliatory of measures, of course, sparked by President Petro Gustavo Petro's decision to reject a couple of American military airplanes that were carrying migrants. Petro had accused Trump of not treating the immigrants with dignity during the deportation.
Speaker 1: Wall Street Superstars tumbling this morning because there is a competitor when it comes to AI from China that says it has developed a large language model that can compete with USAI giants, but at a fraction of the cost. This is centered around chatbots. We'll get into it coming up after the news at ten o'clock.
Speaker 2: Oh, and you remember the South Korean airplane crash, the one where the landing landing gear never came down, The plane skidded along the runway and hit that wall. Yeah, So accident and investigators say that they're looking at two specific factors on it. The concrete structure obviously, the end of the runway, why was it there? And was there a better way to put that? And then the second thing is they said they've found excuse me, feathers and bloodstains in both engines that they believe it was a bird stripe.
Speaker 1: Bird strikes are my most terrifying fear because they come out of nowhere. Right, it's not turbulence that should scare you, it's the birds.
Speaker 2: But here's the problem they're having with the investigation. For some reason, the planes black boxes stopped recording about four minutes before the crash.
Speaker 3: Mmmm, So they're dealing. They're working the old fashioned way.
Speaker 2: Some of the what causes that they're usually run by an auxiliary. In pilot, they're run by an OX power supply, which is sometimes used by who's on OX, who's got OX?
Speaker 1: Who's got OX?
Speaker 2: All right, well, Pete Hegseth is your new Secretary of Defense.
Speaker 4: Store the warrior ethos in everything that we do, rebuild our military and re established deterrence.
Speaker 3: We don't want to fight wars.
Speaker 2: Four Republicans would have needed to join the forty seven Democratic and independent senators who voted against him for to be defeated, but it was a tie Mitch McConnell was the surprise vote of no, which left the Senate in a fifty to fifty deadlock. When that happens, the Vice President comes in acts as the President of the Senate, so to speak, and then breaks the tie, and Jade Vance did just that. Mitch McConnell put out a statement again he was a surprise no vote.
Speaker 3: You had Lisa Murkowski of Alaska.
Speaker 2: And Susan Collins of Maine who had come out and said that they would vote no for various reasons. But McConnell said heg Seth was unprepared to lead a vast department of three million people while managing that huge budget, coordinating with global allies, and said that the role of Defense Secretary is a daily test with staggering consequences for the security of the American people. And he said that Hegseth has failed as yet to demonstrate that he would pass that test.
Speaker 1: It is heg Seth's first date today at the Pentagon. They say it's going to include an array of executive orders, including removing DEI inside the Pentagon, reinstating troops were pushed out because they didn't get the COVID vaccine and what they're calling an iron dome for America.
Speaker 2: This will be a very busy week when it comes to these cabinet hearings, cabinet positions. In fact, Majority Leader John Thune said they're actually going well ahead a schedule.
Speaker 4: Actually where ihead a schedule. We're going back to what is the Obama standard. Obama got twelve of his cabinet nominees through in fifteen days.
Speaker 3: It took Trump.
Speaker 4: Forty three days to get his first twelve through back in twenty six and twenty seventeen, so we are pushing hard.
Speaker 2: We saw Christy Noam, Homeland Security Secretary confirmed over the weekend, along with heg Seth, John Ratliffe Ratcliffe Sorry CIA director, and Marco Rubio who passed ninety nine to nothing as Secretary of State and he's gotten back into gotten to work right away. So there's a few others Attorney General, Pam Bondi, Doug Collins for Veterans Affairs, at least a Fana for US UN ambassador. I think one of the big ones in terms of one that we'll be watched, of course, is going to be RFK Junior as Secretary of Health and Human Services. I believe his hearing comes up on Thursday.
Speaker 1: All right, coming up and next. It looks like those driverless cars are the new target for crooks here in southern California. We'll talk about that also our talk back question of the day. This is you weighing in on the iHeartRadio app using that talkback feature. It's a little microphone. Just got to tap it, tap tap, tap it. This is a woman in New York who says her protective dad ordered her new boyfriend to answer twenty personal questions. What questions would you want to know if somebody was going to date your daughter? One of the questions this guy asked was about family health history. Does the family have a history of diabetes, blood disorder or sickle cell traits, disease, cancers? Like like the guy's buying a race horse or something. Well, I guess you got to worry about the old bloodline.
Speaker 3: Don't you over protective or just protective enough?
Speaker 1: I think you you are a protective. I don't think that you would dig into your daughter's suitors family health history.
Speaker 3: Oh I have a boyfriend story?
Speaker 1: Oh you do? Is it for public consumption?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: It's fine, Okay, I think.
Speaker 2: Horrible I want to know immedia. It's just a funny story. Gary and Shannibal continue, Oh we have mail.
Speaker 3: We got male love mail.
Speaker 1: Is it from prison?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Pasadena? Is that count?
Speaker 1: I really feel like the prisoners have been slacking. We haven't gotten any prison mail for quite some time, and I'm getting a little pissed off.
Speaker 3: Are you guys busy in craft room or something like that?
Speaker 1: Come on, what kind of crafts are there in prison? Beads hiding?
Speaker 3: How to make plastic things? Sharper?
Speaker 1: Is it one of those things where you knit a blanket, but without needles. You just use your hands because you can't.
Speaker 3: Are your fingers?
Speaker 1: Is the whole thing? Yeah. Columbia is sending two government planes to pick up migrants who are sent to take military flights. Originally, this after the White House and the Colombian government agreed to Trump's terms after threatening tariffs. The White House said the country agreed to the terms that include the unrestricted acceptance of all illegal aliens from Columbia returned from the United States. The statement also says from the White House that drafted actions on tariffs and sanctions would be held in reserve and not signed unless Columbia fails to honor this agreement.
Speaker 2: A bunch of places in the San Gabriel Mountains, especially the areas that are east of the fifteen Freeway, still getting a lot of snow this morning. Some rain in the San Bernardino Redlands area, but for the most part, the storm itself is going to leave the coast alone and move its way through. We still see some road closures. Just got word from HP that State thirty three through Ventura County between Wheeler Gorge and Lockwood Valley road is closed because of snow, and again no word on how long it's going to take. The Grapevine close because of ice build up on the road surface itself. They are working to keep that road or to get I should say that road reopened, but as of this point no estimated time of reopening.
Speaker 3: On I five over the grape Vine.
Speaker 1: Well a Way, mo Robo taxi has been the latest victim of crooks, this time in Beverly Grove. It was targeted by a crowd of vandals over the weekend, according to video posts social media.
Speaker 2: So when I drove into Arizona last a couple weeks ago to go to baseball camp, I pull into Greater Scottsdale area, and I pull up in an intersection and there's a way Mo taxi right next to me, and I'm scrambling for my phone because I'm going to take a picture. I'm going to show it to you. It's like, oh, my gosh, one of those stupid robotaxis. But I look at the intersection and there's three other Waymo taxis at the intersection when I'm By the time I got to my hotel, which is about five miles away from that intersection, I had seen easily a dozen and probably more than that Way Moo taxis in and around that Scottsdale area, which nobody thought. I thought it was a weird thing. I don't see him every day, but to them it was just a normal day. They are all over the place in and around Scottsdale.
Speaker 1: That's the only place I've seen one that spring training last year. The incident unfolded about four am at the intersection of Los Cienaga and West Third. Responding officers took a vandalism report, but no arrests were made. The driverless taxi did not have a customer inside at the time. It was stopped at a red light when the crowd surrounded it and began vandalizing it. Ps it was a Jaguar.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they make that's the model that they use.
Speaker 1: Of course they're gonna be targets to get jacked. If they're Jags, why not make it like a Ford Escort, A score. I scored a score Escort from nineteen ninety six. You know what I saw in the parking lot at the bonds of the weekend Ford Escort? No, it was a Saturn. Oh really yeah, I didn't see one of those. I was like the car I took. I think my driving test on like in nineteen ninety six was my mom's Saturn.
Speaker 2: Roommate college used to have one of those Dodge Neons. Ah, A giant piece of crap. Here's what I don't understand. Yeah, listen, we I don't know what the mentality is of somebody just vandalizing for the purpose of vandalism. You're not going to steal a door off of a way moo Jaguar and sell it somewhere.
Speaker 3: You know you're not gonna, Well, you.
Speaker 1: Could Jaguars doors are nice, yeah, but after you're wrong, after you've bent that thing left and I just take it to a chop shop and they'll make use of it. They'll give you some money for it. This is what you're gonna do. Hey, if you're going to jack a car and break it down for parts, you take it to one of the places that don't ask questions and you sell the stuff.
Speaker 3: The other thing is, don't weimo cars have cameras all over them?
Speaker 1: I would assume, but possibly not so. Footage shows one person on the roof of the vehicle, another person in the driver's seat, a third person kicking the back passenger door. So yeah, they've got the cameras. But I mean, if you're wearing masks and hoodies and everything, how the hell are they going to know who you are?
Speaker 3: What a way to spend your weekend?
Speaker 1: I don't know. See, you know idle hands. That's why I said you need to get a hobby or something. You can't just have a relaxing weekend. You've got to do something soon. You're going to be Robin weimo cars breaking. Are you talking to me? Yeah? What did you do this weekend? And you had a nice relaxing weekend? To me, that means a life of crime is right around the corner. Ah got to build afence or something. You want to build defence and build a barn something.
Speaker 3: Where am I going to put a barn on the.
Speaker 1: Side of the house, A little barn next to my pea spot. I don't know. I can't making plans for that backyard.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 2: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio AP